Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Things You Couldn't Live Without In The 1960's And 1970's

To add to the video

BIG American Station Wagons- I miss those- especially with the third seat then called the BACK BACK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2024 9:56 PM

I hate those vids with AI narration. They have a weird rhythm. I’m not positive this one is AI but sure sounds like it. They articulate everything but it’s like they cut words off to abruptly. It’s uncanny.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2024 3:02 AM

Hamburger helper came in 2 flavors-salt or extra salt

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2024 3:38 AM

[quote]BIG American Station Wagons- I miss those- especially with the third seat then called the BACK BACK

BIG American Station Wagons- I miss those- especially with the third seat then called the WAY BACK

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2024 6:27 AM

Or "The Way Way Back."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2024 2:00 PM

Funny you should ask. In Australia there was a deodorant called Mum at the time which was pitched at teens/20s, whose TV ads went (paraphrasing), "I can get by without having my hair done. I can get by without new clothes. I could EVEN get by without my boyfriend. But I COULDN'T get by without my Mum."

In real life, we couldn't live without the adjustable triangular window cut into the driver's and passenger's side windows. Without air conditioning, it was the only way to get a breeze in those hot summers and stop your siblings being sick in the back seat.

And no kid in the 60s could live without a TV, which only arrived here in 1956-57. You've seen what was on--you'd have wanted one too.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2024 2:33 PM

OP, you ripped this off from the AARP newsletter.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2024 2:44 PM

Another vote for back-back OP! In other Station Wagon nostalgia:

If you had more than one sibling, how was it decided who got the hump?

Fake exterior wood paneling - Yes or No?

Did your finger draw and imaginary line on the vinyl upholstery to keep a sibling - and his/her cooties - from infecting your side?

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2024 3:22 PM

I recall my mother making a Hamburger Helper meal once every week. It was cheap so it fit her weekly grocery budget and it was relatively easy to make.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2024 6:28 PM

R4 That’s a very good film.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2024 6:34 PM

Daiquiri mix!

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2024 7:19 PM

Kool-aid Punch flavor.( with cyclamates) Forgot all about that one.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2024 7:26 PM

Tab! And I was only 10 when the 70s ended.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2024 8:21 PM

A pack of Pall Malls.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2024 9:30 PM

You really think we’re going to sit through that AI shit, OP?

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2024 9:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!