Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

PARIS OLYMPICS OFFICE THREAD - Part 3: watersports, horse play and compact gymnasts

Let the discussions continue

by Anonymousreply 600August 3, 2024 3:58 PM

Apologies for calling it the OFFICE thread - I was distracted by the arsehole who keeps posting medal tables saying USA are the top because they have more in total

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2024 6:03 AM

"[R586], you can have an open ended scoring system and reward athletes for what they can do and also implement percentage deductions so they are fairly and equally deducted for the mistakes they make. A percentage deduction allows a fall or a step out to have equal severity for all athletes, regardless of what they're start values are. "

Percentage deductions? Shouldn't a deduction - form break, hops, out of bounds, etc. be the same no matter how hard the skill/routine is? How would athletes be rewarded for doing more than other athletes if they get bigger deductions. Aren't they already "equally deducted" but the athletes with higher start values can negate the deductions via the difficult of their routine.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2024 6:23 AM

R1 we appreciate your dedication on getting these threads up. And no worries about the mistake in the title. I totally understand how your focus might not all be there when distracted by your grief over my unfairly, stolen, title. We will perservere together!

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2024 6:25 AM

Btw all this talk about Irish gold medals takes me back to Michelle Smith in Atlanta.

She was doping, right? I remember Bill Clinton supporting her after the hostile reception to her.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2024 6:27 AM

No, R2, they are not equally deducted. A .10 or a .50 deduction is not weighted the same if a routine is a 13.0 vs a 15.0. Having a deduction, like a 20% deduction or a 10% deduction would make the penalty equally weighed and those who can just jam pack their routines would take the actual execution more seriously.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2024 6:29 AM

R4 Smith was never found guilty of doping but the circumstantial evidence was pretty fucking circumstantial:

She appeared out of nowhere to win three gold medals at the 96 Olympics at 27 years old - this was in the days when swimmers swimming beyond their teens was rare. She had competed in Seoul and Barcelona but had made no finals.

She was married to a Dutch discuss thrower who was also her coach and who had served a four year ban for doping.

She was suspended by FINA for tampering with a urine sample, rendering it unusable. The head of the lab that had collected the sample testified to FINA that evidence of a testosterone precursor had been found. She retired soon after.

Make of that what you will!

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2024 6:44 AM

So she got to keep her medals?

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2024 6:50 AM

Do any of the Triathletes have fecal matter on them when they got out of the Seine?

So many slipping off their bikes. All those bloody knees.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2024 7:09 AM

The road rash has gotta hurt.

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2024 7:17 AM

Yes, R7.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2024 7:18 AM

For anyone up, it's worth tuning in to watch the triathlon. After all the anguish, the swimming leg in the Seine went off without any issues and looked absolutely spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2024 7:33 AM

Beatrix Potter used to compete in the 10k. That she is in the leading group of 4 suggests she has a good chance of winning.

Hope she doesn’t get booed if she wins. The spectators don’t like French competitors losing to British

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2024 7:34 AM

Are Lombardi and Beaugrand friends or rivals? Will they strategise to make sure one of them wins or are they just running their own race? So tense.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2024 7:41 AM

COME ON POTTER

MOVE YOUR BLOOMIN ARSE

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2024 7:52 AM

Oh well congratulations to France.

Now it's Alex Yee's turn to TRY(athalon) and win Gold for Team GB.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2024 8:04 AM

What an image - Cassandre Beaugrand takes gold for France

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2024 8:10 AM

The start from Pont Alexandre III

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2024 8:15 AM

For love of God, please put VPL on the OP rather than a long-assed poll. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2024 8:15 AM

VPL? Visible panty line?

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2024 8:18 AM

Alex Yee, Team GB, winning in Paris

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2024 10:31 AM

The Russians here are really triggered by American, and particularly Biles, dominance in women’s gymnastics. Biles ain’t going anywhere. She the greatest of all time. By far. Her beam, UB, VT are well within “mastering” her elements. She has started to go out of bounds more LATELY on FX, but not always so she’s MASTERED that skill. That Russian arguing otherwise NEVER mentions the Chinese or Japanese MEN or Brazilian WOMEN who go out of bounds quite a bit, or fall all the time. The Americans rarely fall.

Biles will be back in ‘28. Why would she NOT want to go out in America? It makes sense. She’d have a ROARING crowd to retire. Baring something crazy, I think she’ll be back.

Congratulations to one of the all time greats, Shannon Miller, who kept her title for 28 years when the Americans dominated. Quite an impressive feat esp when Biles has competed in more Olympics than her. I’ve always loved Shannon. She was there last night cheering Biles on.

American’s are winning the MEDAL count. Period. They’ll eventually win the GOLD medal count, as well. We’re dominant. Suck it.

I am very happy to see the Swimming medals spread around instead of always USA/Australia.

I am enjoying Colin Jost. He’s getting better each segment.

NBC is doing better covering this time. They aren’t doing an hour of gymnastics followed by 5 hours of swimming heats and semis. Still, what happened to an entire night dedicated to gymnastics? It is the marquee event. It is the most popular.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2024 10:32 AM

Alex Yee takes gold at the last (literal) gasp in the men's triathlon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2024 10:38 AM

Alex Yee did a Tom Pidcock

Then the British women’s quadruple a scully did an Alex Yee!

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2024 10:48 AM

Those two Golds take Team GB up to 2nd in the medal table

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2024 10:50 AM

R24 GB are currently 4th (6/5/5), behind France (6/9/5)

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2024 11:10 AM

Day 5 and still ZERO medals for Norway.

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2024 11:42 AM

Norway is keeping its powder dry for the track and field.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2024 11:50 AM

Biles has some of the highest execution scores most of the time, as well. IYKYK

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2024 11:54 AM

GBR focus has previously been on the “sitting down” sports, but they are doing great in other sports too this Olympics, putting them in 4th place in the medal standings with 16 medals, behind only the. U.S., France and China.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2024 12:29 PM

That’s evidence of the extra $ put into sport development in anticipation of hosting the Games. GBR is still reaping the benefits of what went into the 2012 Games in terms of developing the next generation. Japan has also done well so far. France will see the continued benefit in future Games…and so on.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2024 12:41 PM

[quote]Day 5 and still ZERO medals for Norway.

They re favored to take gold at the break dancing competition. Here they are practicing.... Brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2024 12:46 PM

Oh no Anthony Jeanjean’s shoe came off!

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2024 12:46 PM

This BMXing is high risk!

Amazing skills but so dangerous

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2024 12:53 PM

Blimey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2024 1:01 PM

Anthony Jean Jean can get it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2024 1:19 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2024 1:19 PM

The tattooed Australian who is defending champion made another mistake.

Do these men wear protective gear in their gusset region to avoid testicular damage?

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2024 1:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2024 1:24 PM

Ieam, let's not lie... Simone has always had a problem staying in bounds. It is not a recent thing. It was heavily discussed here during the last Olympics!!!

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2024 1:41 PM

Does anyone know what the story is behind biting the medals?

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2024 1:45 PM

[quote]Quite an impressive feat esp when Biles has competed in more Olympics than her.

Only because I was robbed of a ticket to my thiird Olympics!!! iYKYK!

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2024 1:46 PM

R40 I thought it was a nod to prospectors biting down on gold to see if it was real, but it never made sense when silver or bronze medalists do it. I think a Gold medalist did it and it just became a trend

by Anonymousreply 42July 31, 2024 1:49 PM

R40 Sutter’s Mill 1848

Or classical Rome, or Ancient Greece

by Anonymousreply 43July 31, 2024 1:59 PM

The Total Medal Count should include G, S, and B.

The Olympic Games are NOT The Usual Suspects that reward only the winner. Indeed, they include sports that do, basketball, e.g.

The Olympics celebrate the victory AND the attempts and the efforts. It is why Heats are televised. It is why Qualifications are shown. And it is why the Top 3 finishers are rewarded.

To then count only Gold medals as the "meaningful" tally puts the lie to all the above.

Finally, the Olympics are not like their individual sports. The Olympic philosophy of inclusion is seen not in gymnastics or swimming or basketball or surfing per se, but it is in the Special Olympics, thanks to Eunice Kennedy Shriver.

by Anonymousreply 44July 31, 2024 2:20 PM

R44 clearly doesn’t know how the IOC operates….jayzus.

by Anonymousreply 45July 31, 2024 2:26 PM

Reminder:

Stephen Nedoroscik will compete one more time: Individual Pommel Horse, Saturday, August 3, 4:30 p.m.

He is the only American Men's Gymnasts in the Individual Apparatus Medal Round.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 31, 2024 2:27 PM

The Official Olympic Medal Table, folks.

I think the IOC get to decide the ranking. Give it up FFS.

Clearly, the FAIREST way would be a weighted total - say 3 points for a Gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze.

Seriously, everyone knows that if the situation was reversed - the US was leading in golds but had fewer medals - you'd be screaming that it was unfair, and that the gold total was more important.

Everyone knows that the US will almost certainly end with more golds than everyone, it's just pathetic to continually whine just because thus far in the opening week you're not on the top spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 31, 2024 2:28 PM

Oh, look - the medal table for the European Athletics Championships - it's ranked in G-S-B order. The US isn't competing.

It's almost as if that's the accepted way of reporting results...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 31, 2024 2:30 PM

R45, Care to elaborate? What have I said in error? I prefer not to remain naive.

I maintain, however, my point about medal tallies.

Otherwise, why even mention, let alone celebrate, that Team USA won its first medal in 16 years? After all, it was "only Bronze, so it doesn't count," right? Same with the Italian Women gymnasts, or the US Rugby women, right?

Sorry, but I'm not of the "2nd place is 1st loser" ilk.

by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2024 2:34 PM

Am I the only one who hopes that the US men's basketball team does not win the gold medal?

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2024 2:36 PM

R48 hey dumb shit -- try reading the article: that Euro medal table ranks in order of gold, not total. Did you graduate third grade yet?

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2024 2:37 PM

Don't worry, R50 - if they come third it's exactly the same as winning, allegedly!

by Anonymousreply 52July 31, 2024 2:39 PM

R47, Who is whining? I'm commenting (r49, r44), but I'm not even paying attention to the Medal Counts, and it's for a very pathetic reason:

I hate arithmetic. I'm bad at it, and react almost autistically to arrays of numbers. I skip over posts here that include them.

So I actually do not know if the US is leading, no matter which methodology is used. 😛

by Anonymousreply 53July 31, 2024 2:43 PM

Do you think Paul and Frederick were smart.enougjn to not let Brody near their spring boards during training the last few days? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 54July 31, 2024 3:34 PM

Poor Frederick. He's got a hole to climb out of but there's still.a chance!

Brody's ears perk up... hole? Mine?

by Anonymousreply 55July 31, 2024 3:43 PM

[quote] Seriously, everyone knows that if the situation was reversed - the US was leading in golds but had fewer medals - you'd be screaming that it was unfair, and that the gold total was more important.

At the end of the Tokyo Olympics, the U.S. and China were 1st and 2nd in both the medals count and the gold medal count, completely obliterating the nonsense that Americans favor the medals count because they have higher ranking with it. The ranking was exactly the same. The appropriate use of the total medal count for medal standing is used consistently and the numbers are what that are.

FYI, GBR has now moved into 3rd place in the medal standings with 17 medals, behind only the U.S. and France.

by Anonymousreply 56July 31, 2024 3:43 PM

"No, [R2], they are not equally deducted. A .10 or a .50 deduction is not weighted the same if a routine is a 13.0 vs a 15.0. Having a deduction, like a 20% deduction or a 10% deduction would make the penalty equally weighed and those who can just jam pack their routines would take the actual execution more seriously."

Isn't that foundationally unfair? If you're doing a double tuck and on floor and bounce out of bounds and get a deduction, the deduction for doing the same bounce out of bounds on a double twisting double is more?

by Anonymousreply 57July 31, 2024 3:47 PM

No, be ause you're already being awarded for the skill.itself which has more point value than the lower values double tuck. The way it is now, you're penalized more.for the lower skill. An athlete can do the harder school poorly,.fall and still score higher than a perfectly executed.lower skill.

You should not be able to fall 6x and still be named.Olymoic.Champion. Case in point the Chinese gymnast Zhang just fell on floor but because his technical scores are so high, he can fall 3 more times and still win.

by Anonymousreply 58July 31, 2024 3:59 PM

[quote]Isn't that foundationally unfair? If you're doing a double tuck and on floor and bounce out of bounds and get a deduction, the deduction for doing the same bounce out of bounds on a double twisting double is more?

And a percentage off would not make the penalty more for a harder skill, it actually ensures that the penalty is weighted the same for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 59July 31, 2024 4:03 PM

The appropriate use of the total medal count for medal standing is used consistently.

^^100% wrong

by Anonymousreply 60July 31, 2024 4:03 PM

Brody being a Magat must have hated every moment of going to Stanford.

by Anonymousreply 61July 31, 2024 4:06 PM

Pommels is this year's 2000 Women's Vault!

by Anonymousreply 62July 31, 2024 4:08 PM

No—he’d have fit right in on the Farm.

by Anonymousreply 63July 31, 2024 4:08 PM

Can the medals troll link to an official website that lists the current medal standings with the US at the top based on total medals not most golds then silvers then bronze?

The BBC has China top and Japan second with 8 and 7 golds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 31, 2024 4:18 PM

Team GB’s twink gymnast Jake Jarman looks skinny compared to the other super jacked guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 31, 2024 4:20 PM

The top three places in the medals standing remain the same (U.S, France, and GBR), but Australia has moved up into 5th place. Australia continues to punch above its weight.

by Anonymousreply 66July 31, 2024 4:26 PM

As of 8:30 CET

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 31, 2024 4:32 PM

Visible sweat stain along Paul Juda’s ass crack got a closeup in HD on Peacock. I’ve noticed the picture quality on NBC isn’t as clear. 😏

by Anonymousreply 68July 31, 2024 4:36 PM

R68 Noticed that too but I think it was actually chalk..

by Anonymousreply 69July 31, 2024 4:38 PM

Poor Felix.

The BBC commentator is Matt Baker, a tv presenter and former gymnast, and he is so excited at seeing the gymnasts doing well and genuinely upset when things go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 70July 31, 2024 4:46 PM

R69 — No, it wasn’t chalk, honey, it wasn’t white. It was a darker blue than his blue pants and it was squarely at the ass crack and visible when he bent over in closeup.

Juda DID have chalk dust on his nose for an earlier rotation, which was amusing since it suggested cocaine to me.

by Anonymousreply 71July 31, 2024 4:46 PM

Frederick is hot and Juda is a cutie pie.

by Anonymousreply 72July 31, 2024 4:48 PM

Yes R71, Im saying the rest of his backside was covered in chalk and his crack was not, making it look like it was sweat. But hey, if it was actually sweat, dig in!

by Anonymousreply 73July 31, 2024 4:50 PM

Poor Canadian had a Tonya Harding mishap!

by Anonymousreply 74July 31, 2024 4:53 PM

It’s an interesting factoid that with the U.S. first in the medals standing, GBR third, Australia fifth and Canada ninth, that puts four English speaking countries in the top ten, making English the most represented language in that set.

by Anonymousreply 75July 31, 2024 4:54 PM

You trolls so fixated on medal count are so tedious!

by Anonymousreply 76July 31, 2024 4:56 PM

That’s the least interested thing I’ve read today. Merci!

by Anonymousreply 77July 31, 2024 4:56 PM

Poor Felix

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 31, 2024 4:59 PM

I like the Hungarian gymnast. I hope he isn't an Orban fan.

by Anonymousreply 79July 31, 2024 5:02 PM

I find it very sad that only Great Britain, and not the United Kingdom, competes in Olympics. Not fair.

by Anonymousreply 80July 31, 2024 5:05 PM

[quote] That’s the least interested thing I’ve read today.

Also, I don’t know if this has been mentioned on here yet or not, but I saw a video that explained that Stephen Nedoroscik has a coloboma, an absence of tissue in part of the eye. He also has esotropia, a form of strabismus in which one or both eyes turn inward. That’s why his eyes look wonky.

by Anonymousreply 81July 31, 2024 5:06 PM

I’m more hungry for the Ukrainian—farm fed!

by Anonymousreply 82July 31, 2024 5:07 PM

That Chinese gymnast looked like he was just skipping down the vault runway. Amazing he can get that vault around.

Nice to see the camaraderie among the British, Chinese,.and.Japanese.congratulating each other after each routine.

by Anonymousreply 83July 31, 2024 5:09 PM

Jeezy Creezy, could the announcers for Men's Volleyball talk less and watch more? I finally muted them and their obscure stats and was much happier. The match between Germany and the US was a bit of nailbiter, but the US ended sailing through in the fifth set. Hugs all around! (Of course, that's what the players do between each point. They're an awfully handsy bunch. Not complaining.)

by Anonymousreply 84July 31, 2024 5:09 PM

R81. I stand corrected —that’s even less interesting. Let’s see him qualify for the Paralympics if he’s that disabled.

by Anonymousreply 85July 31, 2024 5:10 PM

R83 it’s not just those team members. Everyone is congratulating each other on the floor after each routine.

by Anonymousreply 86July 31, 2024 5:11 PM

R84 don't they have an international feed like they do for gymnastics where there's no commentary?

by Anonymousreply 87July 31, 2024 5:11 PM

Yes but the Chinese and Japanese teams usually hate each other!

by Anonymousreply 88July 31, 2024 5:12 PM

slava ukraini!

by Anonymousreply 89July 31, 2024 5:17 PM

Paul Juda beats the Ukrainian six ways from Sunday in looks, which is what really matters. There should be separate acknowledgements for achievement in attractiveness.

by Anonymousreply 90July 31, 2024 5:26 PM

I dont think I've ever seen a female coach on the podium with a male gymnast. UKR is the first.

by Anonymousreply 91July 31, 2024 5:28 PM

R90, Not Illya Kovtun, he’s absolutely stunning. But agree the other Ukraine guy is nothing to write home about in the looks department.

by Anonymousreply 92July 31, 2024 5:29 PM

I read that Kovtun's coach is extremely demanding, borderline abusive.

I'll be happy if either one of the UKR guys medal.

by Anonymousreply 93July 31, 2024 5:31 PM

I love.the Tony Hale looking Trainer that always seems to give Brody weird.looks that are either infatuation or repulsion.

by Anonymousreply 94July 31, 2024 5:32 PM

Team Australia doesn't look so great in A-A.

by Anonymousreply 95July 31, 2024 5:36 PM

Watching on Peacock (the shared feed, not the TV feed) has been great. No human interest stories, more featuring non Americans, and more muted commentary.

by Anonymousreply 96July 31, 2024 5:41 PM

I like the gymnastic commentary from the puppy-like, over-eager guy who was a gymnast himself. I think he’s fun. And informative.

by Anonymousreply 97July 31, 2024 5:44 PM

He sucks! Tim Dahgett is better.

by Anonymousreply 98July 31, 2024 5:45 PM

You mean the BBC’s Matt Baker R97?

by Anonymousreply 99July 31, 2024 5:45 PM

It’s kind of sweet that a couple of you are so obsessed with total medal rather than total golds. But it does make sense - after all, the USA is really succeeding at winning silver and bronze so far. It’s not as though you hate being beaten by those pesky foreigners, is it?

by Anonymousreply 100July 31, 2024 5:46 PM

He sounds American. He works for the BBC? If so, yes, that’s who I mean.

by Anonymousreply 101July 31, 2024 5:47 PM

Or are.you talking about Justin Spring, doing commentary for Peacock?

by Anonymousreply 102July 31, 2024 5:49 PM

I think it’s Justin I mean.

by Anonymousreply 103July 31, 2024 6:01 PM

Now rooting for Joe Fraser.

by Anonymousreply 104July 31, 2024 6:03 PM

I don't think Fraser can medal at this point.

by Anonymousreply 105July 31, 2024 6:05 PM

He’s already out of the medals—duh.

by Anonymousreply 106July 31, 2024 6:06 PM

[quote] But it does make sense - after all, the USA is really succeeding at winning silver and bronze so far. It’s not as though you hate being beaten by those pesky foreigners, is it?

The methodology doesn’t change base on who benefits. With every Olympics, from start to finish, the U.S. consistently uses total medals to represent total medals, and the chips fall where they may.

by Anonymousreply 107July 31, 2024 6:08 PM

And the IOC and the rest of the world do it the correct way—total golds. What’s your issue? Let those chips fall …the US will still come out on top with no Russian team to wind varios golds.

by Anonymousreply 108July 31, 2024 6:10 PM

*win various

by Anonymousreply 109July 31, 2024 6:11 PM

[quote] Watching on Peacock (the shared feed, not the TV feed) has been great. No human interest stories, more featuring non Americans, and more muted commentary.

I agree. NBC is doing better, by including the whole event. The one big negative about Peacock though is that to fast forward to do a search of an event to find a certain point, you get 2 minutes of commercials every time you cross from one segment to another. Sometimes, I give up searching in an event because I can’t take them forcing me to watch the two minutes before even knowing if I’m in the right segment.

by Anonymousreply 110July 31, 2024 6:12 PM

Poor Illia Kovtun

by Anonymousreply 111July 31, 2024 6:13 PM

[quote] And the IOC and the rest of the world do it the correct way—total golds. What’s your issue?

There shouldn’t be an issue using total medals to represent total medals, as the U.S. does, should there?

by Anonymousreply 112July 31, 2024 6:14 PM

I’ll comfort him

by Anonymousreply 113July 31, 2024 6:14 PM

Meanwhile Brody's celebrating that neither of his teammates medaled.

by Anonymousreply 114July 31, 2024 6:18 PM

Felix Dolci is so hot. Too bad about the fall. Fun fact: he has a gay agent. He is clearly gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 115July 31, 2024 6:19 PM

Too bad Illya couldn’t at least get a bronze win for Ukraine. And for his flawless body.

by Anonymousreply 116July 31, 2024 6:19 PM

I was watching the men’s gymnastics with the sound off and I’m in a work meeting and was seeing China ahead and the Japanese guy looking dejected, and then all of sudden the Japanese guy is celebrating. I’ll have to watch the summary later.

by Anonymousreply 117July 31, 2024 6:19 PM

Wow, I really thought the kid from China had the gold after that routine. Oh, well, he was fabulous nonetheless. Who got the bronze? I didn’t see the final tally.

by Anonymousreply 118July 31, 2024 6:21 PM

Zhang and Xiao were 2nd and 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 119July 31, 2024 6:24 PM

R118, Japan, China, China.

First time the Chinese have ever had more than 1 on the podium.

by Anonymousreply 120July 31, 2024 6:24 PM

R120, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 121July 31, 2024 6:27 PM

I like pocket gays, so gymnasts it is.

by Anonymousreply 122July 31, 2024 6:35 PM

Has anyone else used the A.I. Al Michaels thing on Peacock? I don’t like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 31, 2024 6:37 PM

Fantastic win by Sarah Sjoestrom of Sweden in the women’s 100m freestyle - she looked completely surprised!

by Anonymousreply 124July 31, 2024 6:42 PM

Marchand living up to the hype, taking his second gold - brutally taking Millac apart in the final 50 of 200 fly.

Going for a second gold in the breaststroke later tonight.

by Anonymousreply 125July 31, 2024 6:45 PM

Marchand is an incredible swimmer and France loves him.

by Anonymousreply 126July 31, 2024 6:47 PM

Since I don’t watch women’s gymnastics, I spent all last evening watching replay of the men’s team archery QF/SF/Final. It’s worth watching if you haven’t seen it yet. Fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 127July 31, 2024 6:50 PM

It's kind of sad that a couple of you are obsessed only with winning Gold. It's not as though the Olympic spirit is important.

I mean, why even have Silver and Bronze on the podiums, amirite? And fuhgettabout actual medals!

But then, that's the typical American attitude.

by Anonymousreply 128July 31, 2024 6:59 PM

R128, if you are foreign you may be unaware that one of the biggest and most popular stories about the Olympics so far has been the bronze medal for the men’s team in gymnastics.

by Anonymousreply 129July 31, 2024 7:04 PM

I apologise that some of us have failed to reach your level of enlightenment, Mahatma Ghandi!

by Anonymousreply 130July 31, 2024 7:06 PM

Katie Ledecky rules!

by Anonymousreply 131July 31, 2024 7:37 PM

Cute gay French PM - soon to be ex-PM - Gabriel Attal in the crowd tonight.

by Anonymousreply 132July 31, 2024 7:40 PM

Yay! Ledecky wins an amazing 8th gold medal!!!

That’s frigging awesome!

Does she beat Biles now? I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 133July 31, 2024 7:44 PM

R129 I’ve got news for you - we are all foreign, including Americans.

by Anonymousreply 134July 31, 2024 7:47 PM

R133 that’s only a tie for the record —and it three Olympiads to get there. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 135July 31, 2024 7:49 PM

False start narrowly averted in women’s 200m breaststroke semifinal when some idiot in the crowd shouted “USA!” just when they had taken their mark.

The starter stood them down and they started again.

by Anonymousreply 136July 31, 2024 8:40 PM

Wow, another gold for Marchand. He'll come away as one of the big names of the games.

by Anonymousreply 137July 31, 2024 8:44 PM

FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS

FLORENCE GRIFFITH JOYNER

JACKIE JOYNER KERSEE

JACKIE BOUVIER KENNEDY

MARIA DOYLE KENNEDY

MARIA VON TRAPP

HUBERTUS VON HOHENLOHE

by Anonymousreply 138July 31, 2024 8:46 PM

Jesus fuck. The Biles racist is bringing that shit into swimming discussion now?

by Anonymousreply 139July 31, 2024 8:47 PM

Dutch bronze winner, Casper Corbeau, looks like a cheeky fuck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 31, 2024 8:54 PM

Who'd have thought the next Michael Phelps would be French?

by Anonymousreply 141July 31, 2024 8:55 PM

Casper + Ryan Murphy = 💫🌞😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 142July 31, 2024 8:56 PM

[quote]Dutch bronze winner, Casper Corbeau

He has a Dutch father but he was born and raised in the US (Santa Cruz).

by Anonymousreply 143July 31, 2024 9:02 PM

Roll call for all of you NCAA hooligans—how many athletes from your alma mater are competing in Paris?

56 here. I’m not one of them ;)

by Anonymousreply 144July 31, 2024 9:03 PM

[quote] Who'd have thought the next Michael Phelps would be French?

Can a swimmer be “the next Michael Phelps” after winning three medals, or would they more sensibly be “potentially the next Michael Phelps”?

by Anonymousreply 145July 31, 2024 9:04 PM

R143 the Filipina gymnastics troll calls Casper a fraud! A fraud I tell ya.

by Anonymousreply 146July 31, 2024 9:05 PM

[quote] Roll call for all of you NCAA hooligans—how many athletes from your alma mater are competing in Paris?

None. I went to a Division III college that has no athletes at that level.

by Anonymousreply 147July 31, 2024 9:07 PM

Shannon Miller is currently looking into whether or not she has family in Sri Lanka.

by Anonymousreply 148July 31, 2024 9:10 PM

[quote]Roll call for all of you NCAA hooligans—how many athletes from your alma mater are competing in Paris?

40, representing 18 countries in 14 sports.

by Anonymousreply 149July 31, 2024 9:12 PM

I'm awake around 5:00 am these days, so the early coverage (often live) on E! or USA has been fun. Around 6am I watched rowing... oh those men are huge and fit-as-fuck (as a friend would say).

The races shown live, even more exciting! The men's quad in sculling. I think it was the 2,000 meter race. Netherlands all the way... they crushed it.

BUT the real excitement/shock was England beating the Netherlands in the women's quad for sculling. Where those Brits found the additional energy in the final 250 meters, I don't know, but wow, what a finish!!

by Anonymousreply 150July 31, 2024 9:19 PM

UCLA a mere 49.

by Anonymousreply 151July 31, 2024 9:20 PM

Come to think of it, that's what Oksana Chusovitina should have done. She should have seen if Germany, a low placing team, would have given her a spot so she could have made it to her 9th Consecutive Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 152July 31, 2024 9:28 PM

R152 She voluntarily retired.

by Anonymousreply 153July 31, 2024 9:43 PM

No, she didn't R153, she tried qualifying and came up short a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 154July 31, 2024 9:45 PM

GO BRUINS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 31, 2024 9:47 PM

R154 Well she changed her mind then because last Olympics they said she was retiring and they all said it would be odd to seeing her around after all those years.

How and when did gymnastics become a sport for those other than teens? 18 used to be considered ancient now they are late 20s, 30s and Oksana doing VAULT into her 40s.

by Anonymousreply 156July 31, 2024 9:53 PM

[quote] It’s kind of sweet that a couple of you are so obsessed with total medal rather than total golds. But it does make sense - after all, the USA is really succeeding at winning silver and bronze so far. It’s not as though you hate being beaten by those pesky foreigners, is it?

The USA will walk away with the most Gold Medals by the end of the Olympics, so you can kindly STFU now!

Medal Race

(Gold, Silver, Bronze, Total)

United States

5 13 12 30

France

8 10 8 26

China

9 7 3 19

Great Britain

6 6 5 17

Australia

7 6 3 16

Japan

8 3 4 15

Italy

3 6 4 13

by Anonymousreply 157July 31, 2024 10:02 PM

[quote] Who'd have thought the next Michael Phelps would be French?

Well, considering that his coach is American and he lives and trains in the US, I'd say that it's more of a win for the US and not France.

We take the mediocre from other countries, and turn them into champions.

Because that's HOW WE DO!

[bold]Marchand, who competed for Arizona State University and now lives in Austin, Texas, dominated the event which combines freestyle, back, breast and butterfly strokes.

Bob Bowman coached Marchand at ASU before he turned pro this spring and helped prepare him for these Olympics.

"That was a great swim," he said, describing Marchand as the best ever in this event. "He can swim faster than that. He's got the speed, he's got the endurance."[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 31, 2024 10:07 PM

R151 second best in the UC system still = all-round excellence. Better than any other state’s flagship…

by Anonymousreply 159July 31, 2024 10:21 PM

Can we talk about Simone's brillaint IG post that was a clap back to the McKayala Skinner controversy?

After they won Gold, Simone posted their celebration photos and captioned it:

"Lack of talent, Lazy, Olympic Champoions."

by Anonymousreply 160July 31, 2024 10:35 PM

After Simone posted that in R160, McKayala Maroney responded:

"It doesn't get more iconic than this... She F'd around n found out fr. Feels like I need to apologize just to redeem my first name."

by Anonymousreply 161July 31, 2024 10:36 PM

Fuck Simone Bile.

Arrogant cunt.

She can "Twisties" her quitter ass right back into her troll hole.

by Anonymousreply 162July 31, 2024 10:38 PM

RACI$T LE$BIAN TROLL ALERT!

by Anonymousreply 163July 31, 2024 10:39 PM

R162 Cheating Russian?

MyKayla Skinner is a fucking white supremacist clown. She has a history of making it clear what she thinks of POC. Funny, MyKayla didn’t win the AA when Biles withdrew. She didn’t even medal in the AA bc she’s mediocre.

The MyKayla Maroney post was 🔥DAYUM. They hated that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 164July 31, 2024 10:43 PM

R164 Skinner never even qualified into the competition.

How did she even make it on the team? She must have been blowing Tom for that placement because it never made sense that she was granted a spot on the (non) Team, when she and Carey had their strengths on the same events, rather than naming someone who was good on Bars and Beam.

by Anonymousreply 165July 31, 2024 10:52 PM

Finally some drama! Skinner is hated by most. She’s a class A bitch, racist cunt. I love that Maroney let her have it. Skinner blocked Biles like the little fragile bitch she is. She can dish, but she can’t take it. WTF did she think the reaction was going to be with her saying what she did? Her “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend” BS was not going to play. We all know what you meant, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 166July 31, 2024 11:05 PM

R166 she didn't just say she didn't mean to offend... she took a page out of Gabby Douglas' playbook and brought up abuse as her get out of jail free card, hoping that no one could attack her any more because of it.

by Anonymousreply 167July 31, 2024 11:08 PM

[quote] Skinner is hated by most

I'm still prettier than all of those ugly bitches, put together!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 31, 2024 11:09 PM

Fnny post from gaymenjoke IG:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 31, 2024 11:11 PM

R168 To who? Maroney is prettier

by Anonymousreply 170July 31, 2024 11:11 PM

I thought that the whole “Ugly American” concept was dated and done with, but then: R157.

by Anonymousreply 171July 31, 2024 11:30 PM

Way late and doesn't involve hot men, but the Serbia-USA women's volleyball match this morning was incredible. Just a crazy up and down match. USA really needed to win to guarantee advancing out of pool play. They have a new preliminary format now that's even more intense because there's less matches.

by Anonymousreply 172July 31, 2024 11:56 PM

Fewer!

by Anonymousreply 173August 1, 2024 12:08 AM

These summer Olympics are so much more enjoyable than those of four years ago when there were no fans in the stands due to COVID. It makes a big difference.

by Anonymousreply 174August 1, 2024 12:13 AM

That would have been 3 years ago, just so you know.

by Anonymousreply 175August 1, 2024 12:15 AM

Isn't a weighted medal count the happy medium between total golds and total medals - 3 points for gold, 2 points for silver, 1 point for bronze. Total points "wins."

by Anonymousreply 176August 1, 2024 12:17 AM

[quote]These summer Olympics are so much more enjoyable than those of four years ago when there were no fans in the stands due to COVID. It makes a big difference.

I still wish another network could have the change to broadcast the Olympics instead of NBC, to see what they could do to improve the coverage, but I believe NBC has done a better job this year than Olympics past. If you watch the Olympics on a screen, how the provider presents it and how they give access to it makes a difference in the enjoyment.

by Anonymousreply 177August 1, 2024 12:27 AM

[quote]It makes a big difference.

It certainly does!

by Anonymousreply 178August 1, 2024 12:34 AM

Suni's response to Simone's post:

Skinner subsequently blocked Simone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 1, 2024 1:08 AM

And then Jordan Chiles posted this....

These girls are messy and it's fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180August 1, 2024 1:09 AM

I'm very impressed by swimmer Marchand. There's something likeable about him as well. For all I know, he could be an asshole but I don't get that vibe from him.

by Anonymousreply 181August 1, 2024 1:16 AM

Whoever posted this is a genius:

For those who don't have context, McKayala's known for having poor technique and as such, she often vaults with one arm (blocking), the technical committee actually put in a deduction because of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 1, 2024 1:17 AM

Putin really has destroyed it's athletes lives.

by Anonymousreply 183August 1, 2024 1:28 AM

The gymnastic high bar looks like so much fun.

by Anonymousreply 184August 1, 2024 1:54 AM

[quote] These summer Olympics are so much more enjoyable than those of four years ago when there were no fans in the stands due to COVID. It makes a big difference.

Why do you think I quit?

Did you honestly think I was going to attend an Olympic games with only 50 people in the audience?

Fuck THAT!

I don't perform for anything less than a sold-out crowd.

My time is valuable, and I live to be worshiped.

Now, Paris is where it's at. I just love all the attention and adoration.

by Anonymousreply 185August 1, 2024 2:03 AM

I've always disliked Bob Bowman.

by Anonymousreply 186August 1, 2024 2:33 AM

France certainly has an Olympic hero, MARCHAND. Happy for them all.

by Anonymousreply 187August 1, 2024 2:35 AM

I am loving the Skinner drama! You can tell all the gymnasts, past and present, hate her.

by Anonymousreply 188August 1, 2024 2:37 AM

I can’t decide if I think Merchand is cute or not. Beautiful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 189August 1, 2024 2:37 AM

France certainly has an Olympic hero, MARCHAND

Lady Gaga, Opening Ceremony Performer --------> American

Celine Dion, Opening Ceremony Performer -------> Canadian

Leon Marchand, Olympic Swimmer ---------------> Lives in Austin, Texas, USA

Be proud, France!

Be proud.

by Anonymousreply 190August 1, 2024 2:49 AM

I hope there's a post-mortem by USA Swimming to understand why the U.S. is doing so badly this Olympics and what needs to be done to turn it around. The U.S. needs a Manhattan Project to do better at the Olympics, to regain our competitiveness in sports like swimming and diving, and to start being competitive in aiming sports like shooting and archery. We're doing good, but not good enough. We need to start spending billions on selecting and preparing athletes for the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 191August 1, 2024 2:50 AM

Triathalon for me deserves a lot of respect. Endurance, baby!

by Anonymousreply 192August 1, 2024 2:55 AM

The Star Spangled Banner always sounds the best at the Olympics. I've heard untold number of times at baseball games and they don't come close.

by Anonymousreply 193August 1, 2024 3:06 AM

What does Lady Gaga and her terrible performance have to do with Merchand?

I just saw an interview with Merchand and I now think he’s very cute.

by Anonymousreply 194August 1, 2024 3:17 AM

Yeah, Team USA is not bringing it in swimming and diving. How does North fucking Korea medal and we can’t? Great Britain medals and we can’t?

Australia is also having a very subpar swimming year.

I expect they will get it together for their home Olympics in ‘28.

by Anonymousreply 195August 1, 2024 3:19 AM

R193 overseas, and without vocals, usually means it is played at the “correct” faster tempo…not the drawn out versions we get at home. One exception: Marilyn Horne sang it tidily and quickly, as it should be done.

by Anonymousreply 196August 1, 2024 3:27 AM

Why aren't the men in the all around flying out of bounds like Biles?

by Anonymousreply 197August 1, 2024 3:38 AM

[quote] Why aren't the men in the all around flying out of bounds like Biles?

Because Bile has a special set of rules, just for her.

Everyone else has to play by the rules, but not her.

by Anonymousreply 198August 1, 2024 3:39 AM

R197 Did you see them fall, have huge hops? They were bouncing all over the place. The one who fell still got Silver.

by Anonymousreply 199August 1, 2024 3:39 AM

Facts: Which country has the shortest national anthem in the world? Answer: The Country with Shortest National Anthem is JAPAN's KIMIGAYO.

Longest: The full anthem, 'Orientales, la Patria o la tumba! ' (Uruguayans, the Fatherland or Death!) takes almost five minutes to sing.

by Anonymousreply 200August 1, 2024 3:40 AM

The Russians are so triggered by Biles. Suck it, cheaters. You all suck. We’ve moved on from you. You haven’t been dominant since GHW Bush was president.

by Anonymousreply 201August 1, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote]The Star Spangled Banner always sounds the best at the Olympics. I've heard untold number of times at baseball games and they don't come close.

The rendition varies between Olympics. One time, I recall, they used a very dramatic, stirring version, which I liked. This Olympics, it's okay, but a little light. This article talks about how people disliked the version used at the 2016 games, which apparently was also the version used in 2012.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 1, 2024 3:47 AM

[quote]Everyone else has to play by the rules, but not her.

Just get an exemption!

by Anonymousreply 203August 1, 2024 3:51 AM

Oh, to be young again. I remember the extreme high from climbing mountains and being absolutely addicted to it. I admire all of these young athletes in their pursuits.

by Anonymousreply 204August 1, 2024 3:51 AM

[quote]The Russians are so triggered by Biles. Suck it, cheaters. You all suck. We’ve moved on from you. You haven’t been dominant since GHW Bush was president.

We also don't get the twisties! Tee Hee!

by Anonymousreply 205August 1, 2024 3:51 AM

[quote]I remember the extreme high from climbing mountains and being absolutely addicted to it.

You are one of those people?

by Anonymousreply 206August 1, 2024 3:53 AM

Keep trying, R195 - you’re a little pathetic but that’s kind of sweet. In a way.

by Anonymousreply 207August 1, 2024 3:54 AM

[quote]I am loving the Skinner drama! You can tell all the gymnasts, past and present, hate her.

Initially seeing all the stuff Simone has done in response to Skinner I questioned if it was necessary. While I enjoy the petty, I kept thinking, is it necessary? Like you are going to win Gold, you are considered the best in the sport and will remain so for some time... why bother doing this?

And then I realized, the only way Simone would keep doing this is because Skinner has obviously been a massive cunt and they've been dealing with her shit for years. Like it's clearly not the most recent incident that has set them all off. There's obviously a deep history... so I hope Biles continues spending her time going after Skinner.

by Anonymousreply 208August 1, 2024 3:56 AM

[quote]I expect they will get it together for their home Olympics in ‘28.

That's a short period of time, and we need to have had kids already in the pipeline. Still, being in one's home country can give a boost.

by Anonymousreply 209August 1, 2024 3:57 AM

Marchand in some pics has Hollywood star good looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210August 1, 2024 4:07 AM

People are not going to get climbing- they didn't when it was part of the XGames. Only climbers know how hard it is to do all those moves, and expert climbers make it look easy.

by Anonymousreply 211August 1, 2024 4:09 AM

R209 pretending to be Australian and failing miserably.

by Anonymousreply 212August 1, 2024 4:18 AM

R205 Now you’re in oblivion while we won GOLD and will get another AA GOLD to make it six consecutive.

by Anonymousreply 213August 1, 2024 4:19 AM

[quote][R209] pretending to be Australian and failing miserably.

Do you have the wrong number? I'm clearly American.

by Anonymousreply 214August 1, 2024 4:21 AM

Wonder if the Russians will boycott or sit out 2028 in LA just because, you know, the Games are in the U.S. Probably depends on whether Trump or Harris is President.

by Anonymousreply 215August 1, 2024 4:25 AM

[quote] Wonder if the Russians will boycott or sit out 2028 in LA just because, you know, the Games are in the U.S.

They did it in 1984.

It's hard to believe that our countries are still engaged in this bullshit, 40 years later.

ENOUGH!

by Anonymousreply 216August 1, 2024 4:27 AM

There are a few Russians there competing but under the AIN name.

by Anonymousreply 217August 1, 2024 4:29 AM

Maybe the Russian and Belarussian teams will still be barred.

by Anonymousreply 218August 1, 2024 4:45 AM

Don't miss the Russian gymnasts with the sour expressions tbh.

by Anonymousreply 219August 1, 2024 4:47 AM

And you guys did it in 1980, R216.

by Anonymousreply 220August 1, 2024 4:48 AM

[quote]Now you’re in oblivion while we won GOLD and will get another AA GOLD to make it six consecutive.

No worries. With all the other drugs we take we too will start taking Ritalin!

by Anonymousreply 221August 1, 2024 4:55 AM

Here's the problem with basing Medal Count rankings on GOLD medals, rather than TOTAL medals.

It looks fine for the countries at the top, but when you start getting to the rankings at about 23rd place, you get Argentina, Azerbaijan, Slovenia and Serbia in 23-27th place.

Each of those countries has only ONE gold medal, and only ONE total medal.

But go down the list, and you see countries like Brazil and Poland in 31st and 32nd place, with zero gold medals, but FOUR TOTAL medals.

So these other countries with only one medal are ranked higher than countries with four medals, just because that one medal is gold.

That makes no sense, and it seems completely ridiculous.

The USA with 30 total medals - more than any other country - is ranked 6th?

That's bullshit, and you all know it.

The REAL ranking must be based on total medals, and not just gold medals.

Sorry, losers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222August 1, 2024 4:56 AM

M&W 20km Race Walk Finals at 1:30am!! A half hour from now.

by Anonymousreply 223August 1, 2024 4:57 AM

Good grief, did this just turn into the drunken Olympics thread?

by Anonymousreply 224August 1, 2024 4:59 AM

Zhang literally lost the Gold medal in the Men's AA over a handstand!

by Anonymousreply 225August 1, 2024 5:00 AM

Relax R222, everybody knows that Americans can’t be beaten in a pissing contest.

Total number of medals is scientifically proven as an indicator of extremely large penises on a national level. You must be hung like a donkey, R222!

Feel better now, precious? Now go crack open another box of wine, it must be time for your lie-down.

by Anonymousreply 226August 1, 2024 5:11 AM

R222, completely unaware that with every increasingly unhinged post, he becomes more and more an object of pity.

by Anonymousreply 227August 1, 2024 5:12 AM

r222, the thing that bothers me is the blatant lying, especially in the Australian media, that the U.S. media has changed its ranking methodology for this Olympics because the U.S. currently does not have the most gold medals. Every American who has witnessed more than one Olympics can point out what an incredible lie that it is. There's been no change in the methodology. Ranking by medal count is the same as done every Olympics by U.S media. I know people have pointed out before how the Australian news media can't be trusted on anything, but this shows it pretty clearly.

Their accusation is made even more stupid by the fact that the U.S. is on top of both rankings in 2020, 2016, 2012. It doesn't affect the final ranking for the U.S. at all. France is currently #2 in the medal standing with 26, behind the U.S. with 30. It might actually be nice for France to temporarily be ahead of the U.S. to show that the U.S. would continue to use the same common-sense methodology for ranking even if we were second to France.

by Anonymousreply 228August 1, 2024 5:15 AM

Exactly, R228.

But don't you dare say that to the haters here, who will accuse you of being "unhinged," and claim that you're an "object of pity."

They have no counter-arguments, so they just hurl insults at you.

by Anonymousreply 229August 1, 2024 5:18 AM

So far, Marchand is The Man.

by Anonymousreply 230August 1, 2024 5:20 AM

R222, R228 and R229 why do you care?

You do know that in not letting go of this tiny factoid, you are behaving exactly like the clichéd American chest-beating sore losers that the rest of the world laughs at, right?

Probably not - self-awareness obviously isn’t a core competency for you and your ilk.

But do keep up the high dudgeon, it’s nothing if not entertaining to wind you up!

by Anonymousreply 231August 1, 2024 5:23 AM

I assume China is flopping because they kept athletes out of it to avoid positive drug tests. They can sit this one out and play the long game.

by Anonymousreply 232August 1, 2024 5:24 AM

China is shit.

Cheaters and drug abusers.

I keep hearing that they're "playing the long game" in everything, but they just keep going downhill in everything.

Much ado about NOTHING.

China is shit.

by Anonymousreply 233August 1, 2024 5:26 AM

The events I will be watching today:

Men's archery

Table tennis quarterfinals

Horse jumping

France vs GBR field hockey, because of the eternal enmity

Men's doubles badminton

by Anonymousreply 234August 1, 2024 5:27 AM

Zhang didn't lose because of a handstand. He fell on floor trying to to connect a front half from a a two and half twist. I was in the audience.

I was also heartbroken for cutie Felix.

Zhang is also very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 235August 1, 2024 5:29 AM

I will attending tennis at Roland Garros and women's all-around today.

Here's hoping Simone falls on her ass.

by Anonymousreply 236August 1, 2024 5:30 AM

Cheers, R236!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237August 1, 2024 5:32 AM

There are some things I miss when ABC for years aired the Olympics. The Up Close and Personal pieces about some athletes. Not just Americans, either. They would also tour the Olympic village and that was interesting.

by Anonymousreply 238August 1, 2024 5:37 AM

r231, if you see what I wrote, I said what bothered me was the blatant lying. I don't care if others use an alternative method of ranking using only the gold medal count. Now if you could tell yourself and people in other countries to stop caring so much about how the U.S. ranks the medal count, that would be great.

by Anonymousreply 239August 1, 2024 5:38 AM

Let's keep it going.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240August 1, 2024 5:52 AM

[quote]Cheaters and drug abusers.

Nyet. We are Olympic Champions on those events!

by Anonymousreply 241August 1, 2024 5:58 AM

[quote]Zhang didn't lose because of a handstand. He fell on floor trying to to connect a front half from a a two and half twist. I was in the audience.

The fall didn't help him, but going into his final event, he still had a chance to win. He needed a 14.867 and had scored over 15 in quals. He ended up scoring 14.633 It was the handstand on high bar that cost him the Gold. Because of the handstand, where he overarched, he lost 3/10 of a point. He ended up missing gold by just under 3I10 of a point.

by Anonymousreply 242August 1, 2024 6:10 AM

Rooting for Andrade and Sunisa Lee tomorrow! If Andrade can't pull it out, I'm really hoping Lee upgrades her difficulty and manages to win back to back AA titles! She'd be the only one worthy of such a feat!

I'll also hope Simone doesn't end up with those pesky twisties again!

by Anonymousreply 243August 1, 2024 6:14 AM

"I hope there's a post-mortem by USA Swimming to understand why the U.S. is doing so badly this Olympics and what needs to be done to turn it around. The U.S. needs a Manhattan Project to do better at the Olympics, to regain our competitiveness in sports like swimming and diving, and to start being competitive in aiming sports like shooting and archery. We're doing good, but not good enough. We need to start spending billions on selecting and preparing athletes for the Olympics."

It's one Olympics, and while the gold total is anemic, the overall medals are fine, if not the best ever. The US isn't going to spend billions. It won't federalize sports like other countries do and have kids plucked from their homes at age 7 to go be a diving champion, paid for by the government.

by Anonymousreply 244August 1, 2024 6:32 AM

I want Marchand inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 245August 1, 2024 6:36 AM

[quote]It won't federalize sports like other countries do and have kids plucked from their homes at age 7 to go be a diving champion, paid for by the government.

Getting kids with high potential into sports on a volunteer basis isn't working as well as it did. We may have to consider other means to induce cooperation.

by Anonymousreply 246August 1, 2024 6:42 AM

There’s going to be some drama this morning that will get the gussets of troons so moist they’ll involuntarily untuck.

Hopefully the Italian woman will refuse to fight the male boxer from Algeria who was banned from competing by the International Boxing Association on account of being male.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247August 1, 2024 6:47 AM

I’m going to have a Mary! moment so feel free to move along if that’s not your thang.

All this really very silly back and forth about medal count and Biles and Russians and Gold versus Silver versus yadda yadda yadda…

The majority of athletes at these games will go home with no medals. In fact I’d suggest that the majority will go home not having progressed beyond a heat. Then there are the athletes from the Refugee Team, who I am following, who have no home to go home to, are stateless and are probably just thrilled to be in the Olympic Village, to meet other athletes and quite possibly just happy to know that they are going to be fed, clothed and have a roof over their heads for the next couple of weeks.

Compared to them, the medal count of sporting powers such as the USA, Australia, Russia, China etc really doesn’t amount to much. Maybe it’s time for some of us (and I’m including myself in this) to get a bit of fucking perspective.

It’s just people running around in stretch fabric, chasing balls and jumping over things. If that’s important to you and defines your national self-worth then IMHO that’s pretty ridiculous, not to mention pretty fucking sad.

Now, back to the pissing contest!

by Anonymousreply 248August 1, 2024 6:47 AM

Summary.of r248 The author is expressing frustration with the excessive focus on medal counts and national pride at the Olympics.

They argue that the majority of athletes don't win medals and that the focus on winning overshadows the achievements of those who simply participate.

The author suggests that comparing nations based on medal counts is pointless and that we should appreciate the athletes' efforts regardless of their final position.

by Anonymousreply 249August 1, 2024 6:51 AM

Well thanks, I guess, R249, for the tl;dr version thanks to AI.

For those who can only read three paragraphs rather than six.

Completely missed the point about the Refugee team - maybe you could run them through ChatGPT and get back.

by Anonymousreply 250August 1, 2024 6:55 AM

[quote]There are some things I miss when ABC for years aired the Olympics.

During the 1984 games, I watched the late-night coverage every night with Jim Lampley and Donna de Varona. I remember the women's volleyball games with Flo Hyman on the U.S. team would be shown in that time slot. It was a simpler time. This commercial was played a lot during the 1984 Olympics and I loved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251August 1, 2024 6:55 AM

[quote]The majority of athletes at these games will go home with no medals.

AKA Losers. HAHAHA!!!

by Anonymousreply 252August 1, 2024 7:00 AM

[quote]Compared to them, the medal count of sporting powers such as the USA, Australia, Russia, China etc really doesn’t amount to much. Maybe it’s time for some of us (and I’m including myself in this) to get a bit of fucking perspective.

The three man Turkish team in archery winning the bronze was very sweet. It was the first team medal for Turkey ever, in any sport.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 1, 2024 7:09 AM

Insta

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254August 1, 2024 7:13 AM

I've heard that at LA next time they are intending to swap over the weeks, with track and field first week, then aquatics and gymnastics second, because they will be using the aquatic center for the opening ceremony and need a week to then prepare it for competition( (really? this seems odd) and, of course, the tv stations want it that way. Not sure I like this.

by Anonymousreply 255August 1, 2024 7:21 AM

R255 don’t forget that for Tokyo 2020/2021 NBC insisted that the timing of the swimming events be reversed (heats at night, finals the next morning rather than vice versa) to accommodate USA prime time viewing requirements. The IOC folded, which from an athletes’ perspective was pretty appalling but money talks.

by Anonymousreply 256August 1, 2024 7:42 AM

Luh-oving Ecuadorian 20km walk winner, Brian Pintado's very natty neck scarf!

I say Ecuadorian, but R222 will probably correct me, and tell me he once had a flight transfer through Chicago O'Hare, and therefore is should be counted as a US win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257August 1, 2024 7:43 AM

Ecuador wins gold in race walking! It was very sweet to see him crying of happiness!

by Anonymousreply 258August 1, 2024 7:44 AM

[quote] This commercial was played a lot during the 1984 Olympics and I loved it.

After watching that commercial at R251, I totally understand now why there was a push for representation and diversity in television.

There were NO minorities or POC in that commercial, and I'm guessing that's the way it must have been in other commercials, as well.

It was actually pretty shocking to me, after being so accustomed to today's commercials.

by Anonymousreply 259August 1, 2024 7:57 AM

I'm surprised at the planned change in Olympic order. I was under the impression that Men's 100-Meter Dash/Sprint was the premier event and thus the closer.

Unless you're Jim Ryan bringing home the Gold for the Marathon!

by Anonymousreply 260August 1, 2024 8:10 AM

R255 swimming will be inside SoFi stadium, where the opening ceremonies take place.

R260 you are totally wrong. The 100 meters is always the first, or among the very first, track finals. Typically, the men’s marathon would be the finale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261August 1, 2024 8:32 AM

I've developed Row Mania for these Romanian double skullers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262August 1, 2024 9:33 AM

Romania sweeps: gold in both M and W double sculls.

by Anonymousreply 263August 1, 2024 10:14 AM

What's your problem, r85? Stephen ain't complaining.

You must be Shane Wiskus, the Fredo of the Men's Gymnastics Team USA: The gymnast relegated to Alternate in favor of Nedoroscik.

"I feel like I deserved it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264August 1, 2024 10:42 AM

As expected huge drama in boxing with the female boxer lasting less than a minute against the male boxer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265August 1, 2024 10:49 AM

NBC has had horrible coverage, but this year has been a bit better. They’ve still gotten a lot wrong. Let’s see if they pick up on the Skinner drama which in the past they would have. I can’t quite pinpoint why their coverage is so bad. There’s a lot of things. One is gymnastics was shown almost in its entirety even when teams were larger. Now, they don’t even play an entire routine of some Americans and don’t even show some Americans at all. Another is I miss the opening of every night with the dramatic Olympic music with shots of the home country. NBC has fucked up so much. The Men’s PROFESSIONAL Basketball Team does NOT need even more airtime. They get PLENTY during their season. They are stars. Enough. And Snoop Dogg? JFC he’s terrible. When did ABC lose coverage? I heard NBC is going to lose their rights. One thing they have gotten correct is not showing 4 hours of swimming in primetime even showing heats and semis. I remember watching athletes flapping their arms for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, our women’s gymnastics team was having a great meet yet were hardly shown.

Also, it’s odd how overnight, when it’s daytime in Russia/China, we get a lot of posts on this thread with a lot of anti-American comments and always going on and on about other countries. I am also very interested in seeing them as well (like someone said the Chinese gymnast was very handsome).

by Anonymousreply 266August 1, 2024 11:41 AM

Hot Hockey players!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267August 1, 2024 12:36 PM

Our scrawny “Clark Kent” pommel horser.

by Anonymousreply 268August 1, 2024 12:58 PM

Hot and “whilst” do not go together. …not HawT

by Anonymousreply 269August 1, 2024 1:04 PM

Imane Khelif and Lin Yu-Ting.

These are women boxers???

I bet to differ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270August 1, 2024 1:24 PM

[quote] There were NO minorities or POC in that commercial, and I'm guessing that's the way it must have been in other commercials, as well. It was actually pretty shocking to me, after being so accustomed to today's commercials.

It’s true that commercials in 1984 didn’t have the diversity in every commercial like we do today, but black people were not absent from TV commercials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271August 1, 2024 1:50 PM

Adjusted link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272August 1, 2024 1:52 PM

[quote]It’s true that commercials in 1984 didn’t have the diversity in every commercial like we do today, but black people were not absent from TV commercials.

To make up for it, black people are featured in every commercial today.

by Anonymousreply 273August 1, 2024 1:54 PM

[quote] Romania sweeps: gold in both M and W double sculls.

Speaking of rowing, this print is today’s artwork on my Met daily calendar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274August 1, 2024 2:08 PM

That’s the eights, not the doubles. Learn your rowing events.

by Anonymousreply 275August 1, 2024 3:14 PM

R275, I stated “speaking of rowing”, and didn’t mention any specific events.

by Anonymousreply 276August 1, 2024 3:19 PM

🙄

by Anonymousreply 277August 1, 2024 3:22 PM

Kute Kayakers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278August 1, 2024 3:35 PM

Canoers and kayakers do have very appealing bodies. All that upper body strength. Hopefully they never skip leg day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279August 1, 2024 3:43 PM

Of course my voodoo doll starts working today instead of two days ago!

by Anonymousreply 280August 1, 2024 5:04 PM

Cris Colllinsworth is at the gymnastics competition. I hope the people near him aren't too traumatized by his dying donkey voice.

by Anonymousreply 281August 1, 2024 5:05 PM

I love it when the gymnasts stick the landing.

by Anonymousreply 282August 1, 2024 5:13 PM

Day 6 and still ZERO medals for us. ALL of our athletes are flopping hard. This fucking sucks. It's embarrassing. I just want this Olympics to be over. One of our worst Olympics ever. Can't remember the last time we had zero medals after a week. This is horrible :(

by Anonymousreply 283August 1, 2024 5:35 PM

I thought the female beach volleyball players weren’t going to be half nekkid anymore?

by Anonymousreply 284August 1, 2024 5:36 PM

[quote]Day 6 and still ZERO medals for us. ALL of our athletes are flopping hard. This fucking sucks. It's embarrassing. I just want this Olympics to be over. One of our worst Olympics ever. Can't remember the last time we had zero medals after a week. This is horrible :(

KARSTEN IS COMING! (Sadly not down my throat)

by Anonymousreply 285August 1, 2024 5:39 PM

[quote] As expected huge drama in boxing with the female boxer lasting less than a minute against the male boxer.

You ppl are so funny bc on one hand a trans man that takes testosterone hormones “will always be female” yet a woman with naturally occurring higher testosterone levels “is a man” 😂😂😂😂 so fucking stupid i stg.

by Anonymousreply 286August 1, 2024 5:42 PM

I'm growing tired of gymnastics. I used to love it but not so much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 287August 1, 2024 5:49 PM

Let's be real... if the judges in gymnastics were really fair they'd give Someone a point deduction on floor for her atrocious dance!

by Anonymousreply 288August 1, 2024 5:53 PM

Someone = Simone

by Anonymousreply 289August 1, 2024 5:53 PM

Congratulations to hot Jew Peter Paltchik who won Israel's second medal in Judo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290August 1, 2024 6:05 PM

Commentators doing what they always do and reducing Lee's Gold Medal by saying she only won it because Simone wasn't in the competition and it wasn't anything she would have ever expected.... they fail to mention that Suni had also beaten Biles in the finals of Olympic Trials so... maybe we don't need to reduce anyone else's accomplishments just because Simone didn't compete. We all know Simone is the most decorated US Gymnast***

******Only because Shannon Miller had stopped competing.

by Anonymousreply 291August 1, 2024 6:12 PM

Most of the contemporary Women's floor exercises be like...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292August 1, 2024 6:14 PM

So proud of Sunisa Lee!

Now THAT is a TRUE Olympic Champion.

Back to Back Medalist... something none of her teammates get to claim!

First Olympic Gold Medalist to repeat on the podium since Nadia in 1980!

by Anonymousreply 293August 1, 2024 6:23 PM

Our gargoyles are quarantined a metal!

by Anonymousreply 294August 1, 2024 6:24 PM

A cruddy bronze!

by Anonymousreply 295August 1, 2024 6:26 PM

Simone didn’t acknowledge or smile at Sunni when Sunni came off the floor after securing a medal…

by Anonymousreply 296August 1, 2024 6:30 PM

We’ve metaled! We’ve metaled!

by Anonymousreply 297August 1, 2024 6:30 PM

Where’s that pig troll, now?

by Anonymousreply 298August 1, 2024 6:30 PM

Congrats to Simone for winning gold.

by Anonymousreply 299August 1, 2024 6:33 PM

R296 She was focused on staying in the zone for her routine. I’m sure Suni knew this.

by Anonymousreply 300August 1, 2024 6:36 PM

I like the women's swimsuits, no wedgies happening.

by Anonymousreply 301August 1, 2024 6:39 PM

Now, to doll them up to be THE NEW ESTHER WILLIAMS!

by Anonymousreply 302August 1, 2024 6:46 PM

Leonardo Deplano has very nice nipples

by Anonymousreply 303August 1, 2024 6:56 PM

There’s no bad blood between Simone and Suni. Did you see them parading with flag once the results were final?

by Anonymousreply 304August 1, 2024 6:58 PM

Ben Proud, contemplating his penis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305August 1, 2024 6:58 PM

French decathlon star Kevin Mayer won't be able to compete

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306August 1, 2024 7:04 PM

I'm surprised the male boxer beating up the female boxer isn't getting more attention here. It's pretty much the ONLY thing on Twitter right now. How unfair it is and how the female boxer should sue the IOC. The male/trans fighter is pretty much being called a monster.

by Anonymousreply 307August 1, 2024 7:06 PM

R307 I think it's being discussed elsewhere on DL.

Could we not derail this thread, please?

by Anonymousreply 308August 1, 2024 7:09 PM

R307 - I posted about it twice but no replies.

More people are angry about JK Rowling highlighting it than they are that a male boxer is competing against women.

The BBC have been deliberately vague about the story. No, the boxer isn't trans, the boxer is BIOLOGICALLY MALE, a term the IOC has told the media not to use.

by Anonymousreply 309August 1, 2024 7:10 PM

R309 Then maybe get the message, and discuss it elsewhere? I did ask politely.

by Anonymousreply 310August 1, 2024 7:12 PM

The boxer isn’t trans, but a biological male with a dsd condition that affects only biological males I think it’s the same condition that caster semenya has. Underdeveloped genitals/internal testes. The boxer has already been banned by the international boxing federation for testing XY.

by Anonymousreply 311August 1, 2024 7:13 PM

R307, the consensus on DL has long been that bio males should not compete in women’s sports, so maybe people feel they don’t need to say as much as they would if the topic were new. Also, this is supposedly not a trans case, but an intersex case, so maybe it’s not as clear cut as a situation where an athlete was definitely born male.

by Anonymousreply 312August 1, 2024 7:13 PM

[quote] Then maybe get the message, and discuss it elsewhere? I did ask politely.

R310, hold on. If you’ve read through this thread or the previous iterations, you’d see that the Olympic controversies and side issues are discussed here along with event results.

by Anonymousreply 313August 1, 2024 7:17 PM

Gold for USA woman swimmer Douglass!

by Anonymousreply 314August 1, 2024 7:17 PM

Great final, R314, Smith was really coming back fast at her.

by Anonymousreply 315August 1, 2024 7:19 PM

Her last race of her Olympic career, what a way to go.

by Anonymousreply 316August 1, 2024 7:20 PM

USA now no. 2 on the gold-medal ranked medal table, behind China. No 1 on the overall medal table.

by Anonymousreply 317August 1, 2024 7:21 PM

That’s great that America has won some more gold. Although the U.S. is already number me in the medal standings, it’s nice to have a chunk of them be gold. We’re increasing the lead over 2nd place France, but France is still doing well, currently beating third place China.

by Anonymousreply 318August 1, 2024 7:28 PM

That’s great that America has won some more gold. Although the U.S. is already number one in the medal standings, it’s nice to have a chunk of them be gold. We’re increasing the lead over 2nd place France, but France is still doing well, currently beating third place China.

by Anonymousreply 319August 1, 2024 7:29 PM

R296, noticed that too. I'm sure they'll say she was just in the Zone waiting to go up... but we'e seen her cheering others on even as she's about to go up.

by Anonymousreply 320August 1, 2024 7:30 PM

Yesterday, Guatemala earned its first gold medal ever (trap shooting). I love when underdogs win.

by Anonymousreply 321August 1, 2024 7:31 PM

Does anyone know if the Gymnastics AA Replays are available on Peacock? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 322August 1, 2024 7:31 PM

Just watch NBC TONIGHT AT 8

by Anonymousreply 323August 1, 2024 7:33 PM

[quote] I'm growing tired of gymnastics. I used to love it but not so much anymore.

I feel the same way about figure skating.

by Anonymousreply 324August 1, 2024 7:38 PM

Not interested in the Primetime Americans Only Broadcast!

by Anonymousreply 325August 1, 2024 7:41 PM

Medal Race

United States

8 14 13 35

France

8 11 8 27

China

11 7 5 23

Great Britain

6 7 7 20

Australia

7 6 4 17

Japan

8 3 5 16

Italy

5 6 4 15

by Anonymousreply 326August 1, 2024 7:41 PM

BYE ANDY!

by Anonymousreply 327August 1, 2024 7:42 PM

Sir Andy?

by Anonymousreply 328August 1, 2024 7:43 PM

R324, we're just getting older. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 329August 1, 2024 7:43 PM

The agony and ecstasy of 'Misery'!

What a trooper. He'll be missed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330August 1, 2024 7:45 PM

I don't know who Karsten is R285, but he's definitely HOT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331August 1, 2024 7:45 PM

The entire womens gymnastics AA final was thrilling and nerve wracking. Fantastic entertainment and the highest level of difficulty in womens gymnastics ever. The storylines of Simone and Suni making a comeback and Rebecca coming back from three torn ACLs. It was a soap opera with a fairy tale ending.

by Anonymousreply 332August 1, 2024 7:48 PM

[quote] Judge removed from Olympics surfing panel after photo with athlete circulates on social media

TEAHUPO’O, Tahiti (AP) — A surfing judge was removed from the Paris Olympics judging panel after a photo circulated online of him embracing a competitor along the shore’s edge in Tahiti this week.

During one of the competition's off days, a commentator shared a photo on his social media showing Australian judge Benjamin Lowe posing alongside Australian surfing team member Ethan Ewing. Bede Durbidge, coach of the Australian team, was also in the photo.

The International Surfing Association released a statement Thursday saying it removed Lowe from the judging panel for the remainder of the competition to “protect the integrity and fairness of the ongoing competition.”

“The ISA is aware of a photo circulating on social media in which one of the Olympic surfing judges from Australia is seen socially interacting with an Australian athlete and the team manager,” the ISA said. “It is inappropriate for a judge to be interacting in this manner with an athlete and their team.”

The decision was made in accordance with the ISA's code of conduct and the International Olympic Committee's code of ethics, it said.

Australia's team management didn't immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333August 1, 2024 7:55 PM

Well, don’t just lie there, honey. Swim something.

by Anonymousreply 334August 1, 2024 8:17 PM

A leading Australian swimming coach has led criticism of Pan Zhanle’s stunning 100m freestyle world record after saying the Chinese swimmer’s performance in the pool was “not humanly possible”.

Brett Hawke led the international disbelief among some quarters after the 19-year-old stormed to gold in 46.40 seconds to beat nearest rival Kyle Chalmers by more than a second.

Pan destroyed a high-class field to shave almost half a second off his own world record in the biggest winning margin in the men’s 100m freestyle since American Johnny Weissmuller in 1928, but his performance has been overshadowed by ongoing suspicions surrounding the Chinese team.

The 19-year-old said that he was not concerned by the doping row that has engulfed China’s swimming team at the Paris Games, despite being named in an investigation by The New York Times and German broadcaster ARD.

It reported that 23 athletes at Tokyo 2020 failed drugs tests for a banned heart medication, 11 of whom are competing in the Olympics, and a further two athletes were cleared after testing positive for a strong anabolic steroid in 2022 that was blamed on contaminated meat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335August 1, 2024 8:18 PM

Watching the BMX race qualifying, those guys are so fucking buff

by Anonymousreply 336August 1, 2024 8:42 PM

Karsten Warholm has very nice pits.

I'd love to bury my face in them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337August 1, 2024 8:47 PM

Those waves in Tahiti are fucking insane 😳🌊🌊

by Anonymousreply 338August 1, 2024 9:00 PM

R335 Throwback to the 70s and 80s with the doped-up East German female athletes.

by Anonymousreply 339August 1, 2024 9:02 PM

Tom Cruise Poised For Olympics Closing Ceremony Stunt:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340August 1, 2024 9:10 PM

Watching the mens waterpolo USA vs Greece, lots of hot men in tiny speedos.

by Anonymousreply 341August 1, 2024 9:27 PM

Hey, they changed the channel! Booo!

by Anonymousreply 342August 1, 2024 9:29 PM

R262, not only do those sculler look good when sitting in the shells, when they stand, they are monsters and their asses? Ph-nom-i-nal. You can bounce quarters off them! Tight and rock hard.

by Anonymousreply 343August 1, 2024 9:41 PM

We're two away from most golds!

Btw, why can't we simply say that, as of now, China leads in total golds and the US leads in the total overall medals?

Is that too easy? Too simple? Not enough drama?

by Anonymousreply 344August 1, 2024 9:44 PM

R339 I remember that well, they had man bodies.

by Anonymousreply 345August 1, 2024 9:48 PM

[quote] China leads in total golds and the US leads in the total overall medals? Is that too easy?

Yes, it is easy to say that China has more gold medals at the moment than does the U.S. and the U.S is at the top of the overall medal standings. Those who like the gold count can’t just take the W when that’s expressed. They get upset if anyone mentions the second part of the sentence.

by Anonymousreply 346August 1, 2024 10:01 PM

Somebody please do a wellness check on the Simone hater. I heard his head exploded!

by Anonymousreply 347August 1, 2024 10:05 PM

I appreciate Simone. She’s deserving of Gokd medals and accolades. She’s also ugly.

by Anonymousreply 348August 1, 2024 10:16 PM

Again, I don’t watch women’s gymnastics anymore and haven’t for years, but I do think it was nice when the stars of the women’s team were seen as sweet and virtuous and became America’s sweetheart. I know there’s a lot of hate for Mary Lou, but you have to admit that that is how she was regarded. For a while now, including this year, the stars are not considered sweet and virtuous and America’s sweetheart, and admittedly for good reason. They are famous and admired, but that’s not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 349August 1, 2024 10:17 PM

I honor you, Queen Carlotta.

by Anonymousreply 350August 1, 2024 10:17 PM

R350 I’m surprised she doesn’t order us to wear our vaginas backwards.

by Anonymousreply 351August 1, 2024 10:20 PM

Excuse me.. I was always considered sweet, virtuous, and Ameicas Sweetheart... while I held my title of lost Decorated US Gymnsst for TWENTY EIGHT YEARS!!!

by Anonymousreply 352August 1, 2024 10:31 PM

MOST decorated.. which I recently lost and I'm obviously grinning my way through the pain.

by Anonymousreply 353August 1, 2024 10:32 PM

Simone BILE leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I wish she would just go away for good.

I've had enough of her.and her stupid Twisties.

by Anonymousreply 354August 1, 2024 10:35 PM

[quote]Simone BILE leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I wish she would just go away for good.

Don't worry, she will be. I know people keep saying she'll go for 2028 but the truth is she only came to Paris because she's vindictive and wanted to beat my record.

But let's remember, she's only beaten it because I'm no longer competing!

by Anonymousreply 355August 1, 2024 10:39 PM

I hope the Simone Biles troll gets bleeding piles

by Anonymousreply 356August 1, 2024 10:40 PM

[quote] But let's remember, she's only beaten it because I'm no longer competing!

Also because they let her take banned substances, as well as letting her bounce around out of bounds all she wants.

Oh, and she gets to fall off an apparatus, with no points deducted.

What a GOAT!

by Anonymousreply 357August 1, 2024 10:41 PM

Her floor choreo looks like Simone already does!

by Anonymousreply 358August 1, 2024 10:42 PM

Tom Cruise being involved with the transfer of the Torch is sort of a slap in the face to the actual athletes who spend their entire lives working tirelessly to get to call themselves an Olympian, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 359August 1, 2024 10:45 PM

HAHA Biles won GOLD AA again! I love it! Americans just DOMINATE. Biles WILL be back in ‘28. She will absolutely want to hear the roar of an American crowd. I don’t want her to go away. I love seeing an athlete who is absolutely dominant in their sport. It is thrilling and doesn’t come along often. I’m wanting her to keep going past ‘28.

R349 Oh you KNOW the reason. The AA champ since ‘12 has been non-White. That’s why. It is sickening, though Biles is beloved. You can’t deny that.

by Anonymousreply 360August 1, 2024 10:54 PM

Oh SHUT UP Biles hater. She has preformed her skills IN BOUNDS hundreds of times and dozens of times in competition. Seethe, or cope.

by Anonymousreply 361August 1, 2024 10:55 PM

[quoteAmericans just DOMINATE.

YES! Because of me, who made the US a dominant factor in the sport!

[quote]Biles won GOLD AA again!

YES! **Because I wasn't competing!

by Anonymousreply 362August 1, 2024 10:57 PM

Are you total medal/Gold Medal count bitches spreading this crazy on TikTok? I just sat through a string of videos of people arguing this!!!

by Anonymousreply 363August 1, 2024 10:58 PM

R362 Of course, Shannon. Love ya. You started the dominance for sure. Now shut up, please.

by Anonymousreply 364August 1, 2024 11:01 PM

Forgot the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365August 1, 2024 11:04 PM

[quote] Now shut up, please.

My adoring fans would never allow me to!

Speaking of which, be sure to check in to my IG and Youtube where I look back on my routines daily and discuss how perfect and in love with myself I am!

by Anonymousreply 366August 1, 2024 11:05 PM

Did you ever fix the mall hair, Shannon? Those poor bangs.

by Anonymousreply 367August 1, 2024 11:06 PM

I'd like to see McKayla Skinner make a cameo on this thread.

I hate Shannon Miller!

by Anonymousreply 368August 1, 2024 11:06 PM

As stupid as she is, McKayla isn't THAT stupid to dare enough to dare try.

by Anonymousreply 369August 1, 2024 11:16 PM

[quote]Did you ever fix the mall hair, Shannon? Those poor bangs.

Those bangs keep me in bounds!

by Anonymousreply 370August 1, 2024 11:17 PM

Shannon Miller is one of the all time greats. But the poster needs to learn a little goes a long way. I enjoyed their responses, but it is getting tedious.

by Anonymousreply 371August 1, 2024 11:18 PM

Any Mary Lou news?

And did anyone say why Nastia isn’t commenting anymore?

by Anonymousreply 372August 1, 2024 11:19 PM

Speaking of Skinner... the Gymnastics Team is still not done roasting her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373August 1, 2024 11:20 PM

[quote]Shannon Miller is one of the all time greats.

Aw, thanks! I couldn't hear the rest of whatever you had to say over my magical violins!

by Anonymousreply 374August 1, 2024 11:22 PM

I’m still the prettiest!

by Anonymousreply 375August 1, 2024 11:34 PM

[quote]I’m still the pregnant spider!

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 376August 1, 2024 11:36 PM

Has anyone noticed the women's swimmers faces are very white, almost like they're wearing waterproof makeup?

by Anonymousreply 377August 2, 2024 12:37 AM

Some of the white swimmers, R377?

by Anonymousreply 378August 2, 2024 12:42 AM

I noticed that r377. Maybe a skin protectant?

by Anonymousreply 379August 2, 2024 1:06 AM

[quote] Watching on Peacock (the shared feed, not the TV feed

Can you explain what a shared feed is? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 380August 2, 2024 1:07 AM

I’m in love with rowing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381August 2, 2024 1:09 AM

The IOC controls a separate “feed” (live coverage of all events) that is shared with all international broadcast partners. NBC (or the BBC, etc.) can then layer in its own footage and camera work etc.

The reference is to the basic international feed appearing on one channel with some version of the distinct NBC package appearing on a different channel.

by Anonymousreply 382August 2, 2024 1:14 AM

Thank you r382.

by Anonymousreply 383August 2, 2024 1:16 AM

I've watched quite a bit of the games live during the day but have yet to see a medal ceremony. Don't they take place after the wins?

by Anonymousreply 384August 2, 2024 1:21 AM

r377, zinc based sunscreen or foundation.

by Anonymousreply 385August 2, 2024 1:24 AM

I just realized Suni could potentially tie my record after this weekend.

I hate these Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 386August 2, 2024 1:27 AM

Rowers always have the best VPLs during the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 387August 2, 2024 1:27 AM

Why would they be wearing sunscreen indoors?

by Anonymousreply 388August 2, 2024 1:40 AM

These gymnastics from both men and women have been messy. Tons of steps, bounces, out of bounds, falls, not a lot of stuck landings. Though, it has been fun since there have been some surprises.

by Anonymousreply 389August 2, 2024 2:15 AM

How long have spring floors been used in Olympic gymnastics?

by Anonymousreply 390August 2, 2024 2:19 AM

Has Skinner retrieved her snatched wig? They are going hard on her and she deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 391August 2, 2024 2:21 AM

Good god, this "Run to you" USA track team promo is beyond terrible

by Anonymousreply 392August 2, 2024 2:29 AM

R390 some form of spring has been in the floor since the late 70s, but definitely not what they're not exactly bouncy like a trampoline like one woudl expect. They're typically hard coiled springs that give just a little. It also depends on where you compete. USA uses springs in their floors... but most European competitions use floors with no springs, just foam padding over plywood.

by Anonymousreply 393August 2, 2024 2:44 AM

The US is almost in the lead for Gold Medals too!

Medal Race

United States

9 15 13 37

France

8 11 8 27

China

11 7 6 24

Great Britain

6 7 7 20

Australia

8 6 4 18

Japan

8 3 5 16

Italy

5 7 4 16

by Anonymousreply 394August 2, 2024 3:01 AM

[quote]And did anyone say why Nastia isn’t commenting anymore?

Sam Peszak's mommy probably got her the gig just like she got her to the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 395August 2, 2024 3:30 AM

Looksl ike Nastia Liukin asked for more money about two years ago and NBC said no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 396August 2, 2024 3:34 AM

Katie wins another medal, yay!!

by Anonymousreply 397August 2, 2024 3:42 AM

Please use a photo like r381 for the OP of the next thread.

by Anonymousreply 398August 2, 2024 4:39 AM

[quote]The US is almost in the lead for Gold Medals too!

The foreigners who can't bear to see the U.S. on top of the medal standings will have to come up with a new scheme to rank the countries that somehow makes the U.S. not be number one. I've seen attempts to rank based on size of the team and the medals per capita.

by Anonymousreply 399August 2, 2024 4:55 AM

Lol R399.

So true.

Jealous haters!

by Anonymousreply 400August 2, 2024 5:00 AM

Its sort of amazing that someone can be a Medalist (Suni) in gymnastics with tumbling passes that were considered competitive / easy over 30 years ago.

The sport has changed so much and yet also hasn't progressed that much.

by Anonymousreply 401August 2, 2024 5:18 AM

Track and field stuff today, including decathlon.

by Anonymousreply 402August 2, 2024 6:26 AM

Women's Gymnastics medal ceremony...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403August 2, 2024 6:26 AM

R399 the “foreigners”, as you call us, are laughing at you for not being able to let this go, while continuing to enjoy the performances of athletes from all nations and of all abilities.

You do realise, don’t you, that you are a foreigner in every country on Earth apart from USA! USA! USA!? Of course you don’t.

How’s USA! USA! USA! going in the shooting, by the way? I would have thought that you’d be leading the world in your national sport.

by Anonymousreply 404August 2, 2024 6:42 AM

US Defaultism

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405August 2, 2024 6:44 AM

American Exceptionalism

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406August 2, 2024 6:47 AM

R336 Huge dick vibes from French BMXer, Joris Daudet. Strewth!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407August 2, 2024 7:16 AM

Track and field starting this morning.

Looking forward to the cavalcade of male magnificence in the decathlon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408August 2, 2024 7:19 AM

Yes Simone Biles is talented and a great athlete but her lack of humbleness is a turn off.

by Anonymousreply 409August 2, 2024 8:36 AM

[quote] How’s USA! USA! USA! going in the shooting, by the way?

Why don't you come here and find out?

BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

by Anonymousreply 410August 2, 2024 8:40 AM

R399 everybody at these Olympics is a foreigner except for the French. Because the Olympics are largely being held in Paris, a large city that is the capital of France.

That may be news to you.

by Anonymousreply 411August 2, 2024 8:41 AM

Classy, R410. You must be proud.

by Anonymousreply 412August 2, 2024 8:42 AM

Jules Bouyer's bulge just about to make a big splash in the 3m diving synchro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413August 2, 2024 8:57 AM

[quote] Jules Bouyer's bulge just about to make a big splash in the 3m diving synchro

He has some kind of rash around his crotch area.

And I've never seen a diver with a beard and body hair.

I thought they are supposed to be clean shaven, to make them more aerodynamic?

by Anonymousreply 414August 2, 2024 9:08 AM

It’s more about aesthetics rather than aerodynamics, R414.

by Anonymousreply 415August 2, 2024 9:17 AM

I can see why R415, because he looks dreadful!

One of the most gnarly divers I've ever seen at the Olympics.

Long bushy hair, scruffy beard, and hairy legs.

I mean, if it doesn't affect his performance, I guess it doesn't matter.

But still...

by Anonymousreply 416August 2, 2024 9:21 AM

The cute Mexicans are just behind the Chinese going into the final round!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417August 2, 2024 9:52 AM

Adorbs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418August 2, 2024 10:26 AM

Day 7 and still ZERO medals for us! We got a 4th place in shooting today, yay! Too bad our shooters are so mentally weak. One 5th and one 4th place. Ugh :(

by Anonymousreply 419August 2, 2024 10:29 AM

The two Norwegians - Rooth and Stokheim - have made a great start in the Decathlon. Currently 4th and 5th. A medal is a realistic prospect.

Keep the faith!

by Anonymousreply 420August 2, 2024 10:34 AM

We're rooting for 🇳🇴.

by Anonymousreply 421August 2, 2024 10:44 AM

I'm rooting for Norwegians - with the exception of Jakob Ingebrigtsen - the arrogance and the horrible tattoos. I just can't.

by Anonymousreply 422August 2, 2024 10:58 AM

[quote] You do realise, don’t you, that you are a foreigner in every country on Earth apart from USA! USA! USA!?

You type foreign.

by Anonymousreply 423August 2, 2024 1:21 PM

R129, YOU might be unaware of how to detect SARCASM (I'm r128), you maroon!

NS, S, about my man Stevie Pommel Horse and the Bronze Men! I re-watch the Team Finals and STILL hope Nedoroscik doesn't falter!

Nonetheless, I will keep my fingers crossed and breath bated that Clark Kent becomes Superman after removing his glasses to win Gold on Saturday afternoon at 4:30 p.m.

by Anonymousreply 424August 2, 2024 1:25 PM

R384, It IS maddening, frustrating, and very disappointing. I look forward to hearing the various anthems.

I have found the US ones on PEACOCK, thanks to another DLer upthread. I wanted to at least see the men gymnasts receive their Bronze medals.

Just another network money-grubbing act to acquire off-network subscribers.

Slight digression: I remember the days when some agitated for Basic Cable to change to personalized "a la carte" channel choices. Well, I hope they now like their Monkey's Paw wish come true.

by Anonymousreply 425August 2, 2024 1:34 PM

And for my third post in a row:

Simone Biles shades Trump:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426August 2, 2024 1:35 PM

“Democratic National Committee spokesperson Aida Ross called out the remarks on Thursday, saying Vance was in "no position to be talking about anyone's else's 'weakest moments'" as he contends with a "gaffe-filled rollout that has left him as the most unpopular V.P. pick in decades," the Times reported.”

by Anonymousreply 427August 2, 2024 1:37 PM

Winter is coming:

The Court of Arbitration for Sport denied an appeal from Canada’s 2022 Olympic figure skating team from the team event to claim the competition’s bronze medal. This means the bronze now goes to Russia, the event’s original winner. The International Skating Union dropped Russia from first to third after CAS upheld a four-year doping suspension for Russia’s star skater Kamila Valieva. Canada, the fourth place finisher, was asking to be moved to third. This means that when the medals are finally presented at a ceremony here, the United States will get gold, Japan the silver and Russia bronze.

by Anonymousreply 428August 2, 2024 1:43 PM

[quote] This means the bronze now goes to Russia, the event’s original winner.

I wonder if they will boycott the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 429August 2, 2024 1:47 PM

I don’t think anyone in 1996 could have predicted how much better the UK would be in future Olympics. Even with their program to support athletes, it’s still an amazing accomplishment that people on that little island could be so successful in so many sports. It’s easy to see from that how they were able to dominate so much of the world.

by Anonymousreply 430August 2, 2024 2:06 PM

R430 it’s Great Britain (island) not UK.

by Anonymousreply 431August 2, 2024 2:38 PM

R430 where’d did you come up with 1996? Their increased success is based on a huge investment in sports programming ahead of 2012…which continues.

by Anonymousreply 432August 2, 2024 3:30 PM

Because 1996 was total humiliation for Team GB, just a couple of years after the National Lottery was launched.

By 2000 the lottery funding had kicked in and in 2004 the improvement was maintained.

And in Beijing GB came 4th setting expectations up for London.

by Anonymousreply 433August 2, 2024 3:50 PM

The Netherlands' Sven Roosen auditioning to be a 21st Century Da Vinci's David.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434August 2, 2024 4:07 PM

Oops!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435August 2, 2024 4:15 PM

One of my fraternity roommates was a pole vaulter and then a decathlete. Truly built like a Greek statute.

by Anonymousreply 436August 2, 2024 4:17 PM

Statue! Statue..😓

by Anonymousreply 437August 2, 2024 4:18 PM

R434, oh, DEAR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438August 2, 2024 4:29 PM

[quote] where’d did you come up with 1996?

1996 was the year of the infamous question “Why are we so useless?” in the British press. As r433 indicated, it was a turning point like an addict hitting rock bottom and deciding to turn their life around. They then became great as they say at the sitting-down sports and now they are great at almost everything across the board.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439August 2, 2024 5:34 PM

Why is Germany so shit at the Olympics these days? I know the DDR athletes were doped to the gills, but West Germany used to get a decent medal haul as well. Now they are desperately trying to hold off New Zealand and Romania and are outside the top ten.

by Anonymousreply 440August 2, 2024 5:49 PM

No — the turning point was getting the 21012 Games. Same as *almost* ever other Summer Host city in the last 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 441August 2, 2024 6:27 PM

by Anonymousreply 442August 2, 2024 6:27 PM

[quote] Why is Germany so shit at the Olympics these days?

They need to play Tomorrow Belongs to Me for their athletes the night before every competition, to get them roused.

by Anonymousreply 443August 2, 2024 6:31 PM

I want Florent’s nips!

by Anonymousreply 444August 2, 2024 6:34 PM

The Mexicans were only two points behind the Chinese on 10m men's synchro diving. Not that the Chinese ALWAYS dominate, but they do often win by a fairly large margin. Mexico's diving success in the past couple decades is due to a Chinese coach who took over as the national team coach. Makes total sense if the Chinese are the best at diving and there's only so many coaches they can absorb.

by Anonymousreply 445August 2, 2024 6:40 PM

Marchand is up next.

by Anonymousreply 446August 2, 2024 6:46 PM

[quote]No — the turning point was getting the 21012 Games. Same as *almost* ever other Summer Host city in the last 60 years.

No, the turning point in Team GB's success was coming 36th in Atlanta.

Moscow 1980 - ranked 9th

LA 1984 - ranked 11th

Seoul 1988 - ranked 12th

Barcelona 1992 - ranked 13th

1994 - National Lottery launched

Atlanta 1996 - ranked 36th

Sydney 2000 - ranked 10th

Athens 2004 - ranked 10th

2005 - London awarded Olympics

Beijing 2008 - Ranked 4th

London 2012 - Ranked 3rd

Rio 2016 - Ranked 2nd

Tokyo 2021 - Ranked 4th

by Anonymousreply 447August 2, 2024 6:47 PM

Thanks for that chart— to prove my point. The lead-up to a bid, and the follow-up to a successful bid, includes lots of sports development money. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 448August 2, 2024 6:51 PM

Rowdy Gaines is more extra than usual. He's nearly Carrie Bradshaw shrieking.

by Anonymousreply 449August 2, 2024 6:52 PM

Fourth gold medal for Marchand. Great swimmer.

by Anonymousreply 450August 2, 2024 6:54 PM

Marchand led Arizona State to an NCAA team title. ASU had decent swimming in the past, but not team NCAA champion level. Their ascendancy was all Bob Bowman's doing when he took over - he could get a ton of great recruits who wanted to train under him. Now he's moving on to Texas which is a very top position in college swimming and I assume ASU will go back to be being good, but not at the very top.

by Anonymousreply 451August 2, 2024 6:57 PM

I heard they callLeon Marchand "The French Lia Thomas"

by Anonymousreply 452August 2, 2024 7:06 PM

Even with Leo, ASU barely edged Cal. Cal is better than Texas. Let’s see what happens …

by Anonymousreply 453August 2, 2024 7:07 PM

Men’s 50m freestyle won by Cameron McEvoy - Australia Women’s 200m backstroke won by Kaylee McKeown - Australia Men’s 200m Individual Medley won by Leon Marchand - France

Great night in the pool!

by Anonymousreply 454August 2, 2024 7:11 PM

Apologies for the formatting.

by Anonymousreply 455August 2, 2024 7:12 PM

Update: we still have ZERO medals.

by Anonymousreply 456August 2, 2024 7:13 PM

Was it really this time week everyone was feeling underwhelmed and waiting for Celine?

We still have all the athletics to come, the track cycling, more gymnastics, more diving, the pentathlon, and lots of other things.

by Anonymousreply 457August 2, 2024 7:25 PM

Fun fact: we got two 4th places today, in sailing and shooting. We are about to get another 4th place in decathlon. Wonderful. This is what we call "stang ut" in Norwegian. Just almost, yet never enough to win a medal.

by Anonymousreply 458August 2, 2024 7:28 PM

R458, Norway always cleans up at the Winter Olympics, smoking everyone else in the medal count. Less than two years to go until Milano-Cortina 2026.

by Anonymousreply 459August 2, 2024 7:32 PM

They're running the 10K right now. Noticed that many of the runners are wearing orange-colored shoes. Is there a particular favorite brand/model of track shoe this year?

by Anonymousreply 460August 2, 2024 7:34 PM

OMG A French 1-2-3 in the men's BMX race!

What a celebration.

by Anonymousreply 461August 2, 2024 7:37 PM

R460 I wondered if the athletes were gifted them.

by Anonymousreply 462August 2, 2024 7:42 PM

I used to run when I was young and while I loved the high from it, I began to find it monotonous and I gave it up.

by Anonymousreply 463August 2, 2024 7:46 PM

The American Fisher is hanging in there with the runners from the East African countries.

by Anonymousreply 464August 2, 2024 7:48 PM

He won Bronze! Woo hoo!

by Anonymousreply 465August 2, 2024 7:52 PM

Great back stories after three finals in the pool tonight:

Cameron McEvoy of Australia won the Men’s 50m freestyle after placing 29th in Tokyo.

Kaylee McKeown of Australia won the Women’s 200m backstroke making it a double double - gold in 100m and 200m at Tokyo and Paris (and just now raced in the 200m IM semi, qualifying for the final).

Leon Marchand of France just won his 4th gold of these games - king of the pool!

by Anonymousreply 466August 2, 2024 7:54 PM

That is quite an accomplishment for Fisher, he was surrounded by Ethiopians and those guys are fast.

by Anonymousreply 467August 2, 2024 7:57 PM

Women’s BMX final won by Sakakibara of Australia with Veenstra of The Netherlands and Claessens of Switzerland silver and bronze respectively.

by Anonymousreply 468August 2, 2024 8:00 PM

R462 they all have the same sponsor—duh.

by Anonymousreply 469August 2, 2024 8:03 PM

Madame Ian Thorpe has joined the BBC's presenting team - he now looks like Liza Minnelli's husband and famous dead celebrity David Gest and is sweating profusely.

by Anonymousreply 470August 2, 2024 8:16 PM

Thorpie’s been eating well!

by Anonymousreply 471August 2, 2024 8:23 PM

Lol Norwegian.

Do you think that Norway might actually have zero medals by the end of these games?

That would be cool!

But don't worry. You still have more than a week left.

by Anonymousreply 472August 2, 2024 8:29 PM

Just saw the end of the 10,000m, didn't appreciate the bug eyed Ethiopian getting all prissy with the other runners.

by Anonymousreply 473August 2, 2024 8:35 PM

I remember Norwegian Olympic champion Andreas Thorkildsen and his big javelin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474August 2, 2024 8:37 PM

Cute story on Steven Nedoroscik's unique vision challenges.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475August 2, 2024 8:47 PM

It’s a pommel horse —Helen Keller could have felt it up…

by Anonymousreply 476August 2, 2024 8:51 PM

They need to get rid of the pommel horse. It is boring to watch.

by Anonymousreply 477August 2, 2024 9:18 PM

That BBC swimming line-up is the gayest thing at the games outside Tom Daley's bedroom: lesbo Claire Balding, two giant gays in Mark Foster and Ian Thorpe and faghag Becky Adlington. Foster still looks superb, though.

by Anonymousreply 478August 2, 2024 9:30 PM

[quote] They need to get rid of the pommel horse. It is boring to watch.

I’d like to see the parallel bars, rings, and high bar go also. The vault and floor exercises are the only events worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 479August 2, 2024 9:33 PM

Lajas requested a mixed VPL event for 2028. The IOC is considering singles, doubles and mixed.

by Anonymousreply 480August 2, 2024 9:35 PM

LA not lajas

by Anonymousreply 481August 2, 2024 9:36 PM

Simone Biles said she loves her black job. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 482August 2, 2024 9:45 PM

Mary Carillo segment! YAAAS!

by Anonymousreply 483August 2, 2024 9:55 PM

Is Sanya from RHOA doing Track and Field commentary for Peacock?

by Anonymousreply 484August 2, 2024 10:32 PM

[quote]I’d like to see the parallel bars, rings, and high bar go also. The vault and floor exercises are the only events worth watching.

I'd like to see all medalists from the past 3 Olympics stripped of their medals.

by Anonymousreply 485August 2, 2024 10:34 PM

[quote] I’d like to see the parallel bars, rings, and high bar go also. The vault and floor exercises are the only events worth watching.

That's weird.

I feel the complete opposite of you.

Vault and floor are totally boring, and require much less physical strength than the parallel bars, rings, and high bar.

by Anonymousreply 486August 2, 2024 10:37 PM

Steven IS Clark Kent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487August 2, 2024 10:41 PM

Medal Race

United States

9 18 16 43

France

11 12 13 36

China

13 9 9 31

Great Britain

9 10 8 27

Australia

11 6 5 22

Japan

8 4 6 18

Italy

5 8 4 17

by Anonymousreply 488August 2, 2024 10:50 PM

China, France and Australia keeping things real 1, 2, 3

by Anonymousreply 489August 2, 2024 10:52 PM

[quote] China, France and Australia keeping things real 1, 2, 3

Hardly.

The US has nearly twice the total medals of Australia.

US - 43

Australia - 22

China - 31

The only country that is giving the US a run for its money, is France.

by Anonymousreply 490August 2, 2024 10:55 PM

Foreigners shed bitter tears upon seeing that collectively Americans are not unhappy with the current medal count.

by Anonymousreply 491August 2, 2024 10:58 PM

R490 is the MagaT member of the USOC.

by Anonymousreply 492August 2, 2024 11:01 PM

Re R491, The U.S. has often had a gold medal haul from swimming that has boosted its overall total in the gold-medal ranked tables. But the U.S. swimmers who were the gold medal winners of the past are aging out. Katie Ledecky, Caleb Dressel and Ryan Murphy were great in 2016 and 2020 (2021) but there are up-and-coming stars like Marchand taking their place. (And wow, Marchand, 4 golds!) This has always happened with teams as they go through up and down cycles.

by Anonymousreply 493August 2, 2024 11:07 PM

If you’re a subscribers (ducks for incoming), the Athletic has a great piece where the reporter talked to people who’ve long known Stephen.

Confirms he’s a quirky, delightful guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494August 2, 2024 11:11 PM

[quote] If you’re a subscribers (ducks for incoming), the Athletic has a great piece where the reporter talked to people who’ve long known Stephen.

Nice. I’m an Athletic supporter.

by Anonymousreply 495August 2, 2024 11:19 PM

Simone is UGLY

by Anonymousreply 496August 2, 2024 11:20 PM

[quote] Simone is UGLY

But how would drunk Shug say it?

by Anonymousreply 497August 2, 2024 11:23 PM

R496 is McKayla Skinner.

by Anonymousreply 498August 2, 2024 11:25 PM

“Foreigners shed bitter tears”, R491? Aren’t you just a little embarrassed to type such shit?

by Anonymousreply 499August 2, 2024 11:30 PM

I’m glad Simone is a talented gymnast

She’s butt-ugly

by Anonymousreply 500August 2, 2024 11:32 PM

Foreigners shed bitter tears when they see themselves called foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 501August 2, 2024 11:35 PM

R491 I’ll take “clichéd parochial jingoistic posters” for 100 thanks Alex.

by Anonymousreply 502August 2, 2024 11:35 PM

Weep, r502.

by Anonymousreply 503August 2, 2024 11:37 PM

I love seeing as holes getting worked up over Simone’s success. She’s stellar.

by Anonymousreply 504August 2, 2024 11:44 PM

The men's 10k was riveting. No sit and kick race, but the pace pushed from the start, with a big group still in contention with a lap to go. Cute American Grant Fisher took bronze

by Anonymousreply 505August 2, 2024 11:46 PM

[quote] I love seeing as holes getting worked up over Simone’s success. She’s stellar.

She is gentle, she is wild, she's a riddle, she's a child.

She's a headache!

She's an angel!

She's a girrrrrrrrl!

by Anonymousreply 506August 2, 2024 11:56 PM

Ben and Flo: hope they're fucking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507August 3, 2024 12:00 AM

Proud to be called a foreigner if mouth-breathing rednecks like R491 are the alternative.

by Anonymousreply 508August 3, 2024 12:07 AM

A great night in the pool with the medals shared among France, Australia, Canada, China and USA.

Great sportsmanship all around.

by Anonymousreply 509August 3, 2024 12:09 AM

The only thing that I know about Simone Biles is that she is quite peculiar looking and has a truly dreadful surname.

by Anonymousreply 510August 3, 2024 12:11 AM

R503 is clearly drunk on his third can of Bud Lite.

by Anonymousreply 511August 3, 2024 12:12 AM

Mr and Mr Proud-Manadou

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512August 3, 2024 12:14 AM

Russians triggered by Biles is fun to read.

by Anonymousreply 513August 3, 2024 12:16 AM

Why would I be triggered by someone of whom I am barely aware?

Luckily I’m not triggered by incredibly stupid Americans - so many on this thread. Or is it just you, R513, drunk and barely hanging on to the last shred of your dignity?

by Anonymousreply 514August 3, 2024 12:25 AM

R514 This is a website based in America, Boris.

Barely aware of. Ahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahaha my sides!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 515August 3, 2024 12:28 AM

I'm questioning the diving judging. Hmm

by Anonymousreply 516August 3, 2024 12:35 AM

Go and lie down on your mother’s sofa bed, MAGAT R515.

by Anonymousreply 517August 3, 2024 12:37 AM

Still ZERO medals for us. And now we lost a handball match to fucking Egypt! WTF?!?!!? This Olympics is hell. I cannot wait for it to be over. Just one week left, thank god.

by Anonymousreply 518August 3, 2024 12:53 AM

[quote] A great night in the pool with the medals shared among France, Australia, Canada, China and USA. Great sportsmanship all around.

I don’t think they did it on purpose (I hope).

by Anonymousreply 519August 3, 2024 1:22 AM

Of course not, R519 - It was just to show that in the three finals for the night there were five countries represented on the podium. Which was a good thing!

by Anonymousreply 520August 3, 2024 1:32 AM

Norway has failed to win a medal in only two prior Olympics—1932 (Los Angeles) and 1964 (Tokyo).

What's their best shot at a medal in Week 2?

by Anonymousreply 521August 3, 2024 1:38 AM

A participation medal

by Anonymousreply 522August 3, 2024 1:44 AM

I just rewatched Marchand tonight after seeing him win live earlier today and there's something very likeable about him. Superior swimmer.

by Anonymousreply 523August 3, 2024 2:15 AM

Did the swimmer guy cry again today? I thought I saw him crying with a coach?

by Anonymousreply 524August 3, 2024 2:22 AM

So the US apparently became the first Nation to hit 3000 Olympic Medals, and the next closest country has 1207.

Someone could probably find out how many of those are Gold.

by Anonymousreply 525August 3, 2024 2:22 AM

You do understand that the USA has competed in many more Olympiads than either China, USSR/Russia or the two Germanys. Of course we have so many more medals.

by Anonymousreply 526August 3, 2024 2:25 AM

R526 Don’t hate, masterbate.

by Anonymousreply 527August 3, 2024 2:27 AM

Norway is supposed to win Gold in the 1500 m and in the 400 m hurdles. But yes a sad showing so far for a country considered great at sport.

by Anonymousreply 528August 3, 2024 2:28 AM

R527: The Men's 30 Minute Masturbation Endurance Competition. That's next in Primetime on NBC!

by Anonymousreply 529August 3, 2024 2:29 AM

ill-considered

by Anonymousreply 530August 3, 2024 2:29 AM

The art of gay men taking pharmaceuticals and having hours of sex is a long tradition. In anticipation of the Olympics in LA, we’ll take a look at how this tradition and its impact on the games.

by Anonymousreply 531August 3, 2024 2:31 AM

I will comfort Caeleb Dressel if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 532August 3, 2024 2:33 AM

How will NBC approach these soft focus cultural oddities of the host nation type segments when LA is the host?

by Anonymousreply 533August 3, 2024 2:35 AM

R531: We went to the exotic village of West Hollywood and it's training facilities for the Men's 30-minute, 60-minute, and 90-minute intercourse endurance activity. These men are dedicated to this sport, practicing in the morning, the evening, some even during their lunch break.

by Anonymousreply 534August 3, 2024 2:36 AM

Someone I know with knowledge of the swimming world said Caeleb Dressel is a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 535August 3, 2024 2:37 AM

Do the women’s swimsuits have compression panels to flatten their breasts? They all look completely flat chested. Or do they get their tits lopped off to gain a competitive advantage?

by Anonymousreply 536August 3, 2024 2:38 AM

Yes, there's lots of side boob at these Olympics. One of the big Chinese gals had enormous side boob earlier today.

by Anonymousreply 537August 3, 2024 2:39 AM

The United States Olympic team remains one of the only major teams in the world to receive no government funding

How atrocious. .

by Anonymousreply 538August 3, 2024 2:41 AM

He’s a loser!

by Anonymousreply 539August 3, 2024 2:42 AM

R538. The USOC has $500 million to spread around…the various Olympic sports do just fine. And that doesn’t include funding by NCAA schools of their various teams.

by Anonymousreply 540August 3, 2024 2:45 AM

Poor Norway.

Sad, last days...

by Anonymousreply 541August 3, 2024 2:57 AM

Long/Wang turned out to be false advertising. SumTing Wong in the speedos of those Chinese divers.

by Anonymousreply 542August 3, 2024 3:21 AM

R542 Growers. 2 billion can’t be wrong. They do something right. Chinese, and Japanese, have good cocks for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 543August 3, 2024 3:58 AM

I gotta say I’m getting kind of tired of the Chinese. For me, they take the fun out of the Olympics. They’re just part of a big, aggressive and successful machine. No joy.

I tend to root for the underdog without government or very little government help.

by Anonymousreply 544August 3, 2024 4:02 AM

I really like Caeleb Dressel.

He seems so much smarter and more grounded than most of the other swimmers on Team USA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545August 3, 2024 4:12 AM

There’s government help and then there’s state-sponsored doping on a massive scale, R544.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546August 3, 2024 4:22 AM

R536 Have you seen the women gymnasts?

There's no guarantee where the fat will be lost as muscle is gained. Hence breast augmentation by otherwise skinny dames.

SCHEDULE CORRECTION: I posted earlier that Stephen will compete for Gold later today, at 4:30 p.m. Wrong. He will be shown on repeat then on NBC.

The LIVE POMMEL HORSE FINAL is 11:10 a.m. on PEACOCK. Stephen is the sole USA competitor for ANY medal in Men's Individual Apparatus (which is why I'm mentioning only it).

The Women's Gymnastics LIVE Finals:

Today (Saturday): Vault at 10:20 a.m. (NBC & PEACOCK) (Simone; Jade)

Sunday: Uneven Bars, 9:00 or 9:45 a.m. (NBC & PEACOCK) (Simone; Suni)

Monday: Balance Beam, 6:36 a.m. (PEACOCK) (Simone; Suni)

Floor Exercise, 8:20 a.m. (PEACOCK) (Simone; Jordan)

Reminder: PODIUM Ceremonies are on PEACOCK.

But hey, at least on NBC we get segments with Snoop Dog. (I like Snoop, he's personable, but really?)

by Anonymousreply 547August 3, 2024 4:41 AM

Watched a little of the equestrian events. The setting at Versailles is truly an inspired choice, just breathtaking along with the events at the Grand Palais. It really feels like a celebration of the city itself.

by Anonymousreply 548August 3, 2024 4:45 AM

Is Cynthia Potter retiring from NBC?

by Anonymousreply 549August 3, 2024 5:00 AM

[quote]The setting at Versailles is truly an inspired choice, just breathtaking along with the events at the Grand Palais. It really feels like a celebration of the city itself.

Fyi, the Palace of Versailles is not in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 550August 3, 2024 5:02 AM

Poetic license, as it were.

by Anonymousreply 551August 3, 2024 5:05 AM

Wang who was suspected of doping in the article above wins a bronze in men’s individual medley.

by Anonymousreply 552August 3, 2024 5:14 AM

Women's gymnastics finals are later today!

by Anonymousreply 553August 3, 2024 6:08 AM

R521 Thankfulky we have a few shots left to medal, our safest bets are in week 2. Week 1 was always a long shot, but I still had hopes for medals in shooting, sailing and rowing. We failed all three. Most of our medals (if not all) will probably be won in track and field, handball and beach volley. So there is still hope. But even IF they manage to win, we will still underperform. Norway's goal was 8 medals. We're now lucky if we get half that.

by Anonymousreply 554August 3, 2024 6:24 AM

Team France take the first medal sweep in the BMX Racing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555August 3, 2024 6:48 AM

The French BMX bronze medalist Romain Mahieu is the boyfriend of the women’s BMX gold medalist Saya Sakakibara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556August 3, 2024 7:01 AM

Laurie Hernandez is proving she’s as much of a natural at commentating the Olympics as she was when competing in them.

The 24-year-old media personality has been earning scores of praise this summer for her enthusiastic, insightful and down-to-earth broadcast work as a color commentator for NBC’s coverage of women’s artistic gymnastics events at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Hernandez has plenty of experience handling Olympic pressure, having won a gold medal as a member of the U.S. women’s gymnastics team known as the “Final Five” at the 2016 Rio Olympics — alongside teammate Simone Biles — in addition to an individual silver medal for the balance beam that year.

She is also no stranger to the media spotlight, having won the Dancing With the Stars season 23 title in 2016 following the Olympics, in addition to co-hosting American Ninja Warrior Junior and voicing roles on such animated series as The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder. But this summer’s Olympics have brought Hernandez, who is studying drama at NYU, new legions of fans.

Hernandez hopped on a phone call with The Hollywood Reporter during a break from her broadcast work for trampoline gymnastics events Friday in Paris. During the conversation, she discussed her fears of “imposter syndrome” heading into Paris, her strategy for dealing with the haters, her emotional reaction when Biles won the all-around women’s final, her hopes for future acting roles and why she got the giggles upon spotting Seth Rogen at an event.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557August 3, 2024 7:01 AM

I'll be so disappointed if there's no suggestive eye candy on the OP of the next Olympics thread like on the tennis threads.

by Anonymousreply 558August 3, 2024 7:06 AM

I was the OP of the first two threads - I'm lining up eye candy for Part 4 as I type.

by Anonymousreply 559August 3, 2024 7:10 AM

Laurie Hernandez is terrible at her job. She adds nothing insightful to the commentary and doesn't do basic research.

by Anonymousreply 560August 3, 2024 7:23 AM

I’m watching the overnight highlights of the men’s hammer throw - skill plus brute strength - some major eye candy if bears are your thang.

by Anonymousreply 561August 3, 2024 7:31 AM

Polish beach volleyball boys are very pleasant viewing.

by Anonymousreply 562August 3, 2024 7:42 AM

I see what you mean, R562

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563August 3, 2024 7:56 AM

R553, PLEASE see r547.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 564August 3, 2024 8:02 AM

R557, Laurie is okay but she's no Eflie Schlegal !

by Anonymousreply 565August 3, 2024 8:36 AM

It's the men's 8s, or as I call it a discreet gang bang.

by Anonymousreply 566August 3, 2024 9:10 AM

YAY Team GB won the gang bang rowing!

by Anonymousreply 567August 3, 2024 9:16 AM

Meh, R562.

They look pretty average to me.

by Anonymousreply 568August 3, 2024 9:18 AM

Must be sad for American exceptionalists to see foreign countries in the top 4 spots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569August 3, 2024 9:31 AM

Well done to hot ginge Tom Ford!

Team GB entered 10 events in rowing and won 8 medals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570August 3, 2024 9:52 AM

Tedious, inveterate God-botherer, Jeremiah Azu, gets DG'd in the 100m heats for false starting.

I guess Jesus wanted you to lose, Jezza!

by Anonymousreply 571August 3, 2024 10:02 AM

[quote]Tedious, inveterate God-botherer, Jeremiah Azu, gets DG'd in the 100m heats for false starting

Please refer to him by his official state designated title "The Fastest Ever Welshman Jeremiah Azu".

The BBC commentary mentioned Jon Drummond. What a Mary he was. Very fuckable but he crossed the line from peacock into pantomime dame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572August 3, 2024 10:11 AM

All the talk about "gender tests" for the boxers, someone needs to check GB's sprinter Louie Hinchliffe - the mullet makes him look like an angry lesbian waiting for the pool table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573August 3, 2024 10:14 AM

Oh dear, by clarifying an incorrect statement the IOC have confirmed the two boxers at the centre of the "gender" controversy are indeed males with DSDs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574August 3, 2024 10:40 AM

The Canadian gymnast, the Danish sprinter, the French pole vaulter are really keeping their hair on point.

by Anonymousreply 575August 3, 2024 10:44 AM

That German Pole vaulter had a giant package.

by Anonymousreply 576August 3, 2024 10:52 AM

I've started a new thread for Part 4.

Feel free to continue to fill up this one before jumping on to the new one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577August 3, 2024 11:28 AM

There's a female swimmer from Azerbaijan whose name is Mariam Sheikhalizadehkhanghah

Alphabet soup!

by Anonymousreply 578August 3, 2024 12:11 PM

MAJOR upset in the Decathlon - Olympic Champion, Damien Warner, and Norwegian medal hope, Sander Skotheim, both fail to clear a height in the pole vault, and are effectively out of the competition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579August 3, 2024 12:37 PM

I gotta laugh... ANOTHER medal gone today. Our decathlete got ZERO points in pole vault. He was in third place before that. There is something mental going on. All our athletes are flopping. I have no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 580August 3, 2024 12:50 PM

It’s something in the water

by Anonymousreply 581August 3, 2024 1:30 PM

R580 The other Norwegian, Rooth, has just jumped a PB of 5.20 in the PV and is now up to second in the overall standings. All is not lost!

by Anonymousreply 582August 3, 2024 1:35 PM

Casper Ruud flopped in singles. Viktor Hovland unimpressive in Golf. Tough for Norway's international sportsmen.

by Anonymousreply 583August 3, 2024 1:54 PM

Mexico's Zapata was tremendous on the Floor Ex just now! (PEACOCK)

Today's Team USA highlights:

Now = Men's GOLF (GOLF CHANNEL) (World #1 Scottie Scheffler et al.)

10:20 a.m. = Women's VAULT Final. (PEACOCK, NBC) (Simone & Jade)

11:15 a.m. = Men's BASKETBALL, USA vs Puerto Rico. (NBC) (LeBron James, Steph Curry)

1:00 p.m. = Women's TRACK, 100M Final. (PEACOCK, NBC) (Sha'Carri Richardson)

2:30 p.m. = Women's SWIMMING, 800M Final. (PEACOCK, NBC) (Katie Ledecky)

4:30 p.m. = Men's POMMEL HORSE Final. (PEACOCK, NBC) (Stephen Nedoroscik)

by Anonymousreply 584August 3, 2024 1:57 PM

Fun fact: Every medal won by someone with an Irish surname, regardless of nationality, would put Ireland third in the medal count.

by Anonymousreply 585August 3, 2024 1:59 PM

Fun fact #2: Many Irish couldn't wait to leave!

(I keed, I keed! But my forebears did depart County Donegal!)

P. S. Rory McElroy is doing alright in the golf competition right now.

by Anonymousreply 586August 3, 2024 2:04 PM

[quote]There's a female swimmer from Azerbaijan whose name is Mariam Sheikhalizadehkhanghah

RACIST!

Her name translates to "Son of the whore who was hanged under the black tree for suckling from a pig".

by Anonymousreply 587August 3, 2024 2:08 PM

Gold and Bronze for Filipinos in gymnastics! (Team GB's Jake Jarman's mother is Filipino)

by Anonymousreply 588August 3, 2024 2:10 PM

PEACOCK has POMMEL HORSE at 11:00 a..m!

I had it correct at r547.

by Anonymousreply 589August 3, 2024 2:16 PM

Never knew that about Jake Jarman. He's so adorable.

by Anonymousreply 590August 3, 2024 2:53 PM

The Men's Nude Rowing Competition, next in Daytime on NBC!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591August 3, 2024 3:04 PM

Mens Rugby 7 Inchers, next on CNBC!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592August 3, 2024 3:09 PM

Rigged! Simone hops like a rabbit, nothing is said. Jade Carey takes one tiny step, and the female commentator points it out.

by Anonymousreply 593August 3, 2024 3:18 PM

Gotta Kill this thread somehow.

Men's Traditional Greek Gymnastics, this afternoon on PeaCOCK!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594August 3, 2024 3:31 PM

Points off and deductions for thee not for ME!

by Anonymousreply 595August 3, 2024 3:34 PM

Does Stephen N have a real chance at medaling on the horse?

by Anonymousreply 596August 3, 2024 3:43 PM

Yes, he's a World Champion. His technical score potential is about .5 less than the highest score so he's in the mix.

Although someone just scored 15.433 so it'd be really really difficult.

by Anonymousreply 597August 3, 2024 3:47 PM

He could decide to increase his difficu8. He's 5th in the line up which is good placement and allows him to figure out what he needs to medal.

by Anonymousreply 598August 3, 2024 3:54 PM

New apparatus: pummeled ass

by Anonymousreply 599August 3, 2024 3:57 PM

R599, Id finally be a Gold Medalist!!!

by Anonymousreply 600August 3, 2024 3:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!