Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Glen Powell, Hollywood’s last great male hope: ‘If you’re looking for the definition of a movie star, that’s him’

Apparently, It was Jamie Lee Curtis who told him that he would be a “big, big movie star.” I heard Twisters is doing pretty well at the box office, but I still don't know anyone outside of Hollywood that knows who he is based on name recognition alone, and that defines a movie star. His P.R. however, works very hard for that check. Poll below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2024 8:53 PM

"last great make hope"??

You think trans performers will take all the masculine leading parts? I am so excited!

by Anonymousreply 1July 30, 2024 7:21 PM

Male

by Anonymousreply 2July 30, 2024 7:24 PM

he was great on scream queens. i think nick jonas gave him a bro job.

by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2024 7:24 PM

[quote] i think nick jonas gave him a bro job.

If only Glen could return the favor and get Nick an actual job in Hollywood. Since he's such a big movie star now.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2024 7:29 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2024 7:44 PM

Twisters is a hit. Anyone But You was a hit. Top Gun: Maverick was a massive hit, and he was the breakout young actor from the cast. It's tough to say whether Netflix movies are actually hits or not, but Hit Man got great reviews.

I know some people are set on the idea that there are no more movie stars, but how many more tests does this guy have to pass before he qualifies?

by Anonymousreply 6July 30, 2024 7:46 PM

"Top Gun: Maverick" was supposed to promote Miles Teller as a big star again after his previous (and well-earned) cancellation for being an asshole, but Powell stole his spotlight instead. Teller seems to be in obscurity again.

by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2024 8:07 PM

I've said this in other threads, but he was great in Hit Man. That's the only thing I know him from. I don't remember him in Top Gun: Maverick, but to be fair, that movie was forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2024 8:09 PM

Go away. He sucks.

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2024 8:33 PM

I've posted this already but so what.

Every time I look at Glen Powell, I see the missing 4th Chipmunk of Alvin and the Chipmunks.

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2024 8:36 PM

Plaleezzzz, yuk

by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2024 8:41 PM

He’s no Luke Perry.

by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2024 8:51 PM

He was also in "Everybody Wants Some!!", a Linklater movie with a *ridiculous* amount of homoeroticism. (How the fuck have you bitches not see it yet??)

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2024 8:58 PM

R8 I liked him on the Ryan Murphy show called Scream Queens. He has great timing in comedy, but someone has convinced him that he's the second coming of Tom Cruise. Or maybe he's trying to convince himself and the public at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2024 9:03 PM

I liked him on Scream Queens but I don't get this pushing him as a great sex symbol. I don't find him attractive at all. But he does have charisma.

by Anonymousreply 15July 30, 2024 9:13 PM

I don't know R15 he could use a little more media training. He's borderline cheesy sometimes like a male Jennifer Lawrence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2024 9:25 PM

I see Glen Powell's mom is starting threads on DL again.

by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2024 9:26 PM

He needs slightly bigger teeth.

by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2024 9:37 PM

I'd do him.

by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2024 9:57 PM

From that clip above I'm now interested. . so I guess pics of him didn't do it for me but when he talks, yes...and I guess that's what being a movie star is all about.

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2024 9:59 PM

I’d do me.

by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2024 10:22 PM

R20 He does a pretty good McConaughey impression. Maybe because they're both from Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2024 10:26 PM

Why is he being rammed down our throats?

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2024 10:48 PM

I don't understand this man's appeal. He can't act, he looks like he's pushing 50, and his thirst puts Shawn Mendes to shame. Also, I think it's highly unlikely that people went to see Top Gun and Twisters because of him. Ok his contributions to Anyone But You are arguable but since when has acting been relevant to franchise IPs.

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2024 11:38 PM

[quote]Why is he being rammed down our throats?

Pix please.

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2024 11:40 PM

He’s beautiful. A magical mystery. I’m certain to fall I know, because he enthralls me so!

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2024 12:17 AM

I don’t get his appeal at all. A minimally talented white guy that’s aging horribly with his 6 smile lines. Thank u, next.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2024 12:23 AM

I don’t dislike him — he seems like a nice enough guy. I just think he comes across as very vanilla. Has he ever played gay? He just doesn’t seem like the kind of actor who would be willing to play anything other than a boring straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2024 1:13 AM

jesus watch scream queens.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2024 1:16 AM

Glenn Powell must return to his Maverick look: short hair, tan skin, and a six-pack.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2024 1:30 AM

I agree he is talented and can become a big star. But why is he the last? Are movies going to stop being made. Silly.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2024 1:45 AM

I think he’s refreshing.

I’m very sick of the “I won’t take my shirt off for photoshoots”, “I hate doing press junkets”, “I have anxiety”, “I won’t do sex scenes!”, “I’m uncomfortable with attention!” wah wah wah actors that’s we’ve had to deal with for the past decade.

Glen Powell gets naked, dances for TikTok, exudes confidence and personality, makes an effort to be seen. He enjoys making movies, he enjoys being famous, he enjoys the publicity.

And he’s proving he can open at the box office. “Twisters” could have been a huge bomb but it’s doing solid numbers.

He puts Evans, Cavill, Hemsworth, and all of those guys to shame. That’s probably why they can’t open a movie outside of being superheroes. And Glen is proving that he can be a box office star without being a superhero.

So what’s wrong?

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2024 1:46 AM

[quote] Deadpool and Wolverine isn’t just a bad movie – it’s changing the definition of what a ‘movie’ is

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2024 1:49 AM

And I have to add to R32, Glen Powell doing that Playgrl shoot for Men’s Health was amazing.

Men’s Health was my access to sexy men in the 90s as a gayling and I loved looking through the magazines. Always had a hot shirtless guy on the cover.

And then they started putting celebrities on the covers shirtless. And then in the 2000s, a lot of the men started refusing to take their clothes off and the covers became boring.

I feel like Glen knew this and that’s why his spread was so Playgirl. It was such a smart move.

He’s being rebellious and I love it. Others should follow.

by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2024 1:53 AM

I think Glenn is hot in an all American way. He reminds me of the archetypal "my best friend's hot older brother that I spent my teen years jerking off to". There is nothing particularly interesting about him personality or looks wise, but he's still sexy in a wholesome way. As far as my taste goes, I think I more or less grew out of being drawn to men with that appeal by my mid-twenties, but there must still something to it because I would gladly munch on his ass.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2024 2:21 AM

He's very wrinkled for a 35 year old. If he doesn't start using sunscreen he's going to age terribly. Otherwise, I guess he can be appealing to fraus. He doesn't do anything for me personally.

by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2024 2:27 AM

Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2024 3:01 AM

This is why he reminds me of Matthew McCaunehey - I know more about him without knowing how.

A writer once complained that he knew that Matthew owns a Jeep and a golden retriever without remembering how he knew. That’s how i feel with this actor.

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2024 3:26 AM

With Pitt, Clooney, Cruise, and their ilk aging out, they seem desperate to find the next A-list celebrity.

Apparently, Marvel stars, like the Four Chrises of the Apocalypse, don't cut it anymore since they don't seem to be able to carry a box office unless it's a superhero movie or other franchise.

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2024 3:31 AM

His face is off-putting. It’s like looking a picture of a Russian. Something is “wrong”.

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2024 5:30 AM

Sharon Stone is the only thirtysomething actress that could star as a love interest for Glen Powell.

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2024 5:37 AM

R32 is Mama Powell.

by Anonymousreply 42July 31, 2024 12:43 PM

He needs an episiotomy of the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 43July 31, 2024 12:49 PM

[quote] Sharon Stone is the only thirtysomething actress that could star as a love interest for Glen Powell.

No way Sharon! You are way too old! Glen obviously wants someone young and fit who can keep up with him. A sexy, exotic, ingenue like....ME!

by Anonymousreply 44July 31, 2024 1:10 PM

Who exactly is he for? He's arguably too old for the teen fangirls. Maybe he appeals equally to men and women but who knows.

Yeah the film industry is desperate to go back to the good old days. He's been one of the most pushed, if not the most pushed, celebrities to date. He's been hailed as the next Paul Newman, Tom Cruise, Matthew McConaughey, and Jesus all rolled up into one.

by Anonymousreply 45July 31, 2024 3:49 PM

He's in the McConaughey tier of celebrities - nowhere near Newman or even Cruise.

Until the crazy fully set-in, I liked Cruise. He consistently made solid action movies and occasionally did Oscar-worthy performances (Magnolia, Born on the Fourth of July). Say what you will about him, he was definitely a A-list caliber celebrity.

At best, he'll hit as big as someone like Mark Wahlberg or have a few really good years like Patrick Dempsey before fading out.

by Anonymousreply 46July 31, 2024 5:08 PM

I knew when I first saw him in "Everybody wants Some!!" he would be a big star one day. Tyler Hoechlin was quite a bit better looking, but Powell just radiated star quality.

by Anonymousreply 47July 31, 2024 5:14 PM

Wasn't he in "Hidden Figures"? I certainly felt he had "it" back then, but I've since lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 48July 31, 2024 5:15 PM

It’s like they’ve rebooted Luke Wilson.

Poor Luke is stuck with Kevin Costner’s bullshitathon whilst Glen Powell is picking up all the fun parts. Luke is only 18 years older than Glen.

by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2024 5:25 PM

that's almost a generation.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2024 5:34 PM

It’s pronounced “Heck-lin”.

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2024 5:43 PM

Hollywood seems really desperate to find a bland white guy to make into a movie star. For a while it was Chris Pratt. Then it was Armie Hammer. Glen seems genuinely nicer than either of them, but major movie star? Not sure about that.

by Anonymousreply 52July 31, 2024 5:47 PM

I'm glad Pratt seems to be crashing and burning. He seems like an douchebag.

Hammer is classically handsome, like old timey Hollywood. Too bad he's a freakshow. He could have been a star.

What Powell hasn't had is the Risky Business/Pretty Woman/Thelma & Louise break out role that Cruise, Roberts, and Pitt had. He's had decent roles and been cast in higher profile movies because of them. But, he hasn't had that one breakout moment that turns an actor into a huge star.

That's the difference between someone being pushed by TPTB and the more organic way the

by Anonymousreply 53July 31, 2024 6:43 PM

[quote]I think Glenn is hot in an all American way.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 54July 31, 2024 9:22 PM

[quote]Hollywood seems really desperate to find a bland white guy to make into a movie star.

And DL seems obsessed with bland white guys all the time, so it's simply bizarre that Powell gets so much weird hate here. Armie Hammer is milquetoast, and DL fave Kit Connor may be the quintessential bland white dude. (And DLers strongly prefer him over his far more interesting, albeit less classically handsome, co-star Joe Locke.)

It's fine if you're into bland white dudes who are either queer or have played explicitly queer characters, but I will call out your hypocrisy 100% for slamming someone like Glen Powell for being "bland" when they're not.

by Anonymousreply 55July 31, 2024 9:28 PM

[quote] I will call out your hypocrisy 100% for slamming someone like Glen Powell for being "bland" when they're not.

It's all subjective R55, but me personally, I dont find anything particularly interesting or noteworthy about Glen Powell. I can't speak for anyone but me, but I find him to be kind of bland. His "charm" doesn't seem natural. He seems really needy. He wants us to like him. Really really like him. He doesn't appear to have his own identity, but he very clearly wants to be like the men he grew up idolizing, in particular Cruise and McConaughey. He's clearly having a moment no matter how forced it may feel, but it's unclear how long his moment is going to last. Its not hypocrisy because celebrities aren't owed a fanbase it's all about personal choice.

by Anonymousreply 56July 31, 2024 9:59 PM

Jamie Lee Curtis needs to STFU and go away. She's such an insufferable attention whore, and I used to like her.

by Anonymousreply 57July 31, 2024 10:14 PM

[quote] Luke is only 18 years older than Glen.

That's quite a significant age difference.

by Anonymousreply 58July 31, 2024 10:19 PM

[quote]His "charm" doesn't seem natural. He seems really needy. He wants us to like him. Really really like him.

So did Sally Field. Did that make you hate her or something?

Also pretty much every Hollywood celeb. They are ALL needy, in some way (usually multiple ones).

[quote]He doesn't appear to have his own identity, but he very clearly wants to be like the men he grew up idolizing, in particular Cruise and McConaughey.

He's not *that* much younger than McConaughey, and regardless, he grew up in Austin, where McBongo did his first big movie and still lives today. And he "doesn't appear to have his own identity"? You're entitled to your opinions, but you shouldn't present them as fact.

[quote]He's clearly having a moment no matter how forced it may feel, but it's unclear how long his moment is going to last.

True, but you can say the same about Cruise & McConaughey. The latter cemented his place first by stealing the show in a Richard Linklater film, and then moving on to his first big role in a tentpole movie based on established IP (the lead in John Grisham's "A Time To Kill"). Powell did the same in a Linklater film, and then moved on to his first big role in a tentpole movie based on established IP (the lead in "Twisters," based on the movie "Twister" written by novelist Michael Crichton). Sounds vaguely familiar.

Similar story for Cruise, actually: after a surprise turn as a psychopath in "Taps," and then he generated a huge amount of buzz after starring in "Risky Business," he became – and remained – a household name. The media landscape was VASTLY different 40 years ago, given the absence of social media and only a small handful of talk shows (either day or late-night - '84 was still Carson/Letterman only).

by Anonymousreply 59July 31, 2024 10:37 PM

Tentpole.

Heehee.

Tentpole.

by Anonymousreply 60July 31, 2024 10:46 PM

I saw Twisters a few days ago. Liked him a lot — he was pretty good.

It’s a great movie for him. If he keeps choosing his films carefully, he’ll be on track for a big career.

by Anonymousreply 61July 31, 2024 10:49 PM

Hammer was handsome but not the most charismatic and certainly not God's gift to acting. He screwed up by getting caught but we all know they spill the real stuff down the halls of studios everyday.

Powell is kind of limited and has a very meh face but at least he has personality. Some may find it phony or desperate but it is personality.

by Anonymousreply 62July 31, 2024 10:54 PM

R61: I'm actually shocked he had the least screentime and the least to do. I agree he was pretty good but in all honesty it's not like the role was super challenging. Daisy Edgar Jones didn't have chemistry with him and I gave up trying to figure out what accent she was trying. Anthony Ramos was definitely the weakest link and I have no idea why or how he keeps getting roles.

by Anonymousreply 63July 31, 2024 10:58 PM

Tired of his mug

by Anonymousreply 64July 31, 2024 10:58 PM

What the fuck are you babbling about R59? Why don't you stop straining the few brain cells you have left and google the definition of the word "Subjective" and I hope that solves at least some of your issues.

[quote] You're entitled to your opinions, but you shouldn't present them as fact.

I didn't present them as facts, dummy. I presented them as opinions. I said at the very beginning of my post and all throughout the post that these were subjective observations. You clearly read enough of the post to quote it but failed to comprehend any of it. You clearly have a hard on for this Glen Powell guy. Why don't you find some lotion and take care of that? We don't need your fangirl dissertations.

by Anonymousreply 65July 31, 2024 11:13 PM

R63 also posted that on July 22nd and July 27th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 31, 2024 11:18 PM

Glenn Powell... Rhymes with "Star"!

by Anonymousreply 67July 31, 2024 11:26 PM

Did he think people wouldn't spot the differences before baring his ass on the cover of Men's Health? His ass is clearly photshopped or cgie'd in the spider scene and yet it looks flat as a pancake on the Men's Health cover.

by Anonymousreply 68July 31, 2024 11:36 PM

Your ass is round or it isn't. Photoshop ain't fooling anybody.

by Anonymousreply 69July 31, 2024 11:40 PM

[quote]He's not *that* much younger than McConaughey,

McConaughey is old enough to be Powell's father, dear.

by Anonymousreply 70August 1, 2024 12:03 AM

He seems like a nice guy and loves his rescue dog, so extra points for that. As far as being a big star…there isn’t a ton of competition, so sure - why not?

by Anonymousreply 71August 1, 2024 1:56 AM

Is his dog a rescue dog?

by Anonymousreply 72August 1, 2024 2:15 AM

I sort of understand the appeal. He’s a throwback to the conventional leading man but at the same time not too intimidating looks wise to male and female audiences. He’s not my type physically but I think it’s a breath of fresh air not having another rat twink shoved down my throat.

by Anonymousreply 73August 1, 2024 4:25 PM

[quote] I think it’s a breath of fresh air not having another rat twink shoved down my throat.

Well, I never in all my life!

by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2024 6:03 PM

I actually think Powell sort of falls under "rat-faced" because of the beady, close-knit eyes, but he's definitely not a twink. That body is HOT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 2, 2024 1:25 AM

It's amazing how agents, PR teams, and friendly journalists can make someone appear more famous, talented, in demand, star like, and popular than they actually are.

by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2024 12:01 AM

Average at best.

by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2024 12:14 AM

Eh, r22; MM is like Christopher Walken: Everybody can do a good impression.

by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2024 12:18 AM

If Glen Powell can be a movie star, then I can be a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2024 12:34 AM

[quote] Your ass is round or it isn't. Photoshop ain't fooling anybody.

But a Hubba-Hubba Heinie fools everyone!

by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2024 12:36 AM

Sorry but he looks poz.

by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2024 12:37 AM

His mouth makes me think of a vagina for some reason, similar to Kato Kaelin's.

by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2024 12:55 AM

Here's a Glenspread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 4, 2024 1:49 AM

[quote](And DLers strongly prefer him over his far more interesting, albeit less classically handsome, co-star Joe Locke.)

R55 I watched the show for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and as someone that doesn't either attractive because they're both way too young for my tastes the ginger is a much better actor on that show. I'm not surprised that people would prefer him. I do wish both of them well as out actors.

by Anonymousreply 84August 4, 2024 10:34 PM

R74, I rather think the allusion was to TC, not to the actor who played Feyd-Rautha.

by Anonymousreply 85August 4, 2024 11:13 PM

R83, That pose is ridiculous, as it cannot be at all comfortable. Whom is he trying to invite?

by Anonymousreply 86August 4, 2024 11:15 PM

He's terrible.

A poser using a Richard Dreyfuss voice while trying to channel Luke Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 87August 4, 2024 11:33 PM

He seems pleasant enough, but does nothing for me. Seems like he’s really trying to be a star. Doesn’t bother me if he’s successful or not.

Though, I do like a nice hairy body like at r75. Maybe I should watch one of his movies.

by Anonymousreply 88August 4, 2024 11:45 PM

Another Cloverfield movie? Well just get rid of these two and maybe I'll get excited about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 5, 2024 6:59 PM

How long can this Glen Powell honeymoon really last?

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2024 6:59 PM

He still has to purchase his People's Sexiest Man Alive cover, present at the Oscars, and release a Country album. So, maybe 6-9 months

by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2024 7:03 PM

R83 I’m not gonna lie, I like what I’m seeing

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2024 8:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!