Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Disclaimer' revenge thriller series on Apple TV

Starring Cate Blanchett, Lesley Manville, Kevin Kline, Sacha Baron Cohen, Kodi Smit-McPhee. Alfonso Cuarón writes and directs all seven episodes of the show, which is adapted from Renée Knight’s 2015 book.

Are we watching the shit out of this or not? I have never in my life seen a kitchen lit so beautifully. Look at that pink sky!

October 11th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2024 3:47 PM

Trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2024 6:17 PM

From the trailer...

[quote]a 7-part [bold]event[/bold]

Cuarón seems confident. He's also said he was thinking about re-editing it into a movie, so it could qualify for the film awards as well. This better live up to the hype.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2024 6:25 PM

Looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2024 7:10 PM

When do it come out?

by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2024 7:13 PM

Agreed, the lighting is gorgeous (and not constantly so underlit that you have to squint to see what's happening). Hope the story is its equal!

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2024 7:13 PM

r4 First two episodes out October 11, weekly releases after that.

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2024 7:22 PM

It looks fun but so can tell already that 7 episodes will be 3 too long as is always the case in TV adaptations of domestic crime potboilers.

It’s not The Thornbirds or Shogun.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2024 1:50 PM

Episodes 3 and 4 -- Leila George is gorgeous. And she's Vincent D'onfrio's daughter. Reminds me of Peggy Lipton.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2024 1:36 AM

What's the early verdict on this one? Worth a re-sub to Apple TV Plus?

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2024 1:40 AM

I'm enjoying it -- good but not compelling or must watch. Not sure if it's worth the $ to re-sub to Apple but I'll probably watch the new season of Silo after this finishes.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2024 1:49 AM

Thanks, R10, I'll probably wait until all of the second season of Severance is online next year for a re-sub!

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2024 3:06 AM

Just caught up with the fourth episode and I'm more with the critics on the lower end of the spectrum, I really don't know why this did so well at the film festivals. It's all a bit flaccid, there's just not much meat on the story once you get past the cinematography. And some of the writing is really up its own ass. The heavily ADR'd flashback scenes in Italy are a bit of a slog.

I guess it's worth watching for the long takes with the inquisitive kitty who keeps fucking up Blanchett's marks. She has to wrangle that damn cat, keep composure, and then continue with her lines. I'd go crazy if I were an actor. But apparently they introduced that kitty as an agent of chaos on purpose, to make the scenes come across more hectic in order to mirror Catherine's unravelling.

I also enjoy Indira Varma's pleasant narration – even though its overall effect is probably a net negative as it more often than not just spells out what's on the screen already – and Lesley Manville's acting, which I didn't think much of prior to this. Sacha Baron Cohen is pretty decent in this as well, have never seen him in a dramatic role before. Klein is Klein, he's okay.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2024 6:44 AM

Why don’t you just subscribe for a single week and binge it?

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2024 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!