Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL, tell me about life in Chicago

I will be living there for a year for work. I'm in the Near North/Gold Coast area. I've liked it the handful of times I've visited, but those were only a day here and a few days there.

And I love winter, so that aspect of life won't be an issue.

So, what is life in Chicago like?

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2024 12:37 AM

I did ten years. It's underated.

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2024 11:55 AM

In what ways, r1?

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2024 12:00 PM

I grew up there and visit family about once every few months. First, live by an El stop. You will thank me for this advice in February. Run or walk on the lake front in the mornings as the sun is coming up. Explore the neighborhoods. My favorite is the Southport corridor near Addison but there are so many great ones: Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Hyde Park, Lincoln Park, Andersonville, Boys Town, Pilsen. Wow, now I miss Chicago!

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2024 12:27 PM

The traffic gridlock is terrible, both on the freeways and on the city.

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2024 12:39 PM

every man looks like jeremy allen white and only wears white tight t-shirts

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2024 12:44 PM

It is on a downward trajectory. The Magnificent Mile has a 30% vacancy rate.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2024 12:46 PM

Agreed. I lived near Water Tower in the aughts and was really sad to see how it's gone down, especially since COVID.

by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2024 12:53 PM

[quote]I did ten years. It's underated.

What we expect from a thread about Chicago.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2024 1:46 PM

R5 is another "I do English for me, not for anyone else" cunt.

Oh, dear x 4

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2024 1:47 PM

Not to frighten you, but people are frequently targeted/robbed in the Gold Coast area and downtown, in general. Keep your wits about you. I was mugged near Michigan & Randolph in front of the Aon Center.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2024 2:02 PM

It’s like a box of Frango Mints.

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2024 2:13 PM

That's not Gold Coast. That's The Loop.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2024 2:13 PM

TBF he did say Gold Coast and Downtown

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2024 2:16 PM

Chicago is great. Just choose a great neighborhood to live in and you'll be fine. I know you said you're fine with winters but the bigger problem for me is that Chicago is just completely grey during that time of year. A year or two ago, we beat Seattle for most consecutive cloudy days. And I agree with the poster who said to live next to an El stop.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2024 2:21 PM

Never called it downtown. To me, going north to south, it's Gold Coast, then Streeterville, then the Loop once you cross the river.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2024 2:22 PM

As a Chicagoan, I will say that I do think Chicago lacks diversity in comparison to cities like Toronto, NYC, DC metro, Bay Area, LA , etc. It's diverse, don't get me wrong, but not as diverse as those cities. And I do think NYC men are hotter and better dressed. But Chicagoans have less of a stick up their ass.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2024 2:27 PM

I won't be driving, r4, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2024 3:23 PM

I lived there for 9 years. The queens there are very provincial - most of them come from just over the Indiana state line but consider themselves worldly. I always found hookups unnecessarily complicated. A lot of psychos.

Hopefully it’s changed.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2024 4:09 PM

It can be very dangerous in pockets and in some big areas therefore/because it's very segregated. Sometimes the weather really, really sucks. Politically, it's rotten to the core. The lake looks nice, but it sucks to go near it and I pined for the ocean. There's not a whole lot in the way of places to go through the weekend. Orient for a day. You're in the Midwest and if you drive for four hours you're still in the Midwest. That shit is flat.

It's culturally amazing for American city second only to New York. It can be really beautiful to look at. It does attract a lot of people from the surrounding Midwest, because it doesn't really have any competition. I think most people are parochial everywhere you go. I didn't realize that a lot of people there are a few generations off the farm or from the South. They are more polite and more welcoming and more optimistic than any place on either coast.

I really miss ALL the food and the opera and the blues scene and all the museums and the architecture.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2024 4:41 PM

The winters are difficult (less so with climate change I hear) but that's the time of year for art lovers - the world class Chicago Symphony, the Lyric Opera, every major dance company comes thru town and several are based in Chicago, and a lot of theater of every type from Shakespeare to Mamet.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2024 4:50 PM

One word: STEAMWORKS!

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2024 4:50 PM

How to not get mugged in any major city: Put you phone away and keep it there. With nobody carrying cash anymore, it’s the only thing they’re after. It’s called “Apple picking”.

There are some incredible neighborhoods in Chicago. Most are safe. I’ve moved in Wrigleyville, when it was cool and semi-affordable, wouldn’t go back. Lincoln Square/North center is amazing but now overrun with strollers. Andersonville used to be lesbian central, but the gals now call it MANdesreonville.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2024 5:11 PM

How about Gold Coast, r22?

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2024 5:12 PM

R23. Depends on your budget. You can have a fabulous apartment with full amenities and a killer view for about 1/4 what you would pay in Manhattan. But you will probably never socialize with your neighbors. The only nearby nightlife is the worst breeder meat markets you can imagine. But close to a thriving restaurant and gallery scene in “River West”.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2024 5:18 PM

Very good Gold Coast address 3 br 2.5 ba 2500 sq ft 6k/mo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2024 5:28 PM

Any good Indian restaurants downtown?

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2024 3:32 PM

I would say State Street is a great street. They do things they don’t do on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2024 5:10 PM

[quote]Put you phone away and keep it there. With nobody carrying cash anymore, it’s the only thing they’re after. It’s called “Apple picking”.

iPhones with a passocde/Face ID are virtually impossible to break for the average criminal. Even law enforcement has difficulty doing it. What are they doing with them?

by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2024 5:17 PM

R26, tbh, Chicago Indian food is dissapointing. I'm a brown person who lives very close to Devon. The best Indian restaurants are in the burbs, not the city. Actually, Wicker Park has some very good ones too.

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2024 5:29 PM

Thanks r29!

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2024 6:38 PM

R30, no problem. The two Indian restaurants in the burbs that I really enjoyed are Mantra near O'Hare, Priya's Kitchen in Westmont and A2B in Warrenville. In Wicker Park, I remember Cumin being excellent, especially the biriyani. But I think that may be Nepalese.

by Anonymousreply 31July 28, 2024 6:53 PM

My bad, that's three restaurants in the burbs.

by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2024 6:53 PM

I always enjoyed India House on W Grand, r26. It'll scratch that itch. What I miss about Chicago is the diversity of ethnic cuisines. There's not just good Mexican restaurants, there's fine dining, Oaxacan, street food, coastal/seafood Mexican, etc. I miss that in the small college town that I now live in.

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2024 8:38 PM

R33, you are right, India House is good. Gaylord (yes, that's the real name) used to be much better 10 years ago but it's gone way downhill.

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2024 9:08 PM

In Chicago, all seem to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2024 9:35 PM

How old are you, OP? Are you single? I want to weigh in on gay nightlife but would love that info so I can advise accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2024 10:05 PM

I am 40 and single, r36, but I left my party days behind me a decade ago. I'm at the point in my life where I figure, if I meet someone, I meet someone, but if not, that's okay too.

by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2024 10:08 PM

R37- I recommend going to Sunday Showtunes at Sidetrack. It’s a fun, friendly atmosphere and you won’t feel self-conscious as you can just enjoy the videos playing. You’re young(ish) and single- get out there. Age appropriate crowd too. All ages really. Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2024 1:16 AM

I answered my own question because I was genuinely curious.

See below for podcast that addresses iPhone theft (and I assume Android).

The phones are indeed bricks, but organized gangs will ship the phones to other countries, and try to use various methods to try to get you to give up your iCloud credentials (texts, calls, e-mails).

Of course, not everyone uses a passcode, so you are SOL in a case like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2024 1:21 AM

OP, come to Wednesday night karaoke at Jackhammer. Myself and some other confirmed DL'ers are there most weeks (all about your age). We just need one more member to form a minyan!

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2024 1:25 AM

You're going to want to learn to toddle, OP.

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2024 1:29 AM

Chicago is fabulous! I put my girls through college and paid for a country home!

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2024 1:46 AM

Loved my 12 years in Chicago. Lived in the Gold Coast and Andersonville. Definitely loved Andersonville. Had a killer condo there. Knew lots of nice guys. Strong community vibe. I wouldn't bother looking at places in any other neighborhood as a single 40 year old gay man. You will be a fresh face and have a ball.

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2024 1:53 AM

Thank you, r38, r40, and r43!

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2024 8:04 AM

R41 Just because the whole town does it doesn't mean that you have to also.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2024 1:11 PM

OP, where are you moving from?

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2024 1:11 PM

OP, I moved from Chicago a few years ago.

It's not terrible in Near North/Gold Coast but it's really not a super neighborhood-y type of place. You may have a very lovely apartment but it can be a very sterile place where people come and go. It's probably the NYC equivalent of living near/in Times Square. And it is near some of the more robbery prone places - the red line el stop near State (I think it's Chicago, near a McDonald's) is a notorious place to be attacked and Michigan Avenue has had a number of thefts.

Not sure if you need to be near downtown for work but I might have tried for an apartment in the West Loop, which has some neighborhood feel to it. If you could live anywhere in the city, I'd want to be in Ravenswood/Andersonville, as you'd be closest to a gay scene that had other men over 35 - Boystown is really for a younger party crowd.

Chicago can be a hard but not impossible city to date in. There's a bit of a distance bias.....I've had guys tell me I lived too many el stops away or too far for them to come and see me (I was 15-20 minutes away)....queens can be lazy about hooking up, LOL! My bf ignored that rule when we got together, so it's not impossible.

I miss the culture there, for sure. Concerts every night of the week. Free classical music recitals in several spots downtown. I have to say I left before COVID and know the city restaurant scene was hit hard, but.....you could go to a new restaurant every night and not run out of places for, well, forever.

The negatives of downtown: the density, the thieves, and the helicopters that will incessantly fly overhead at all hours of the day and night - traffic and police.

There's a lot to explore, though.

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2024 1:26 PM

Thank you, r47! Thant was super helpful.

r46 I am originally a Midwesterner, but I've spent the last decade in New England, and I was in LA for the past year. (I like Boston/New England, but am not a big fan of LA.)

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2024 1:40 PM

R46- if you liked Boston, you will really like Chicago. Similar vibes to the neighborhoods and a bonus is the men in Chicago won’t have that Masshole aloofness so prevalent in Boston which is a well earned stereotype in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2024 2:56 PM

I agree with R47 that the Near North and Gold Coast area can be a bit soul-less but I wouldn't suggest the West Loop as an alternative. The WL is new construction and converted warehouses - all pretty sterile - inhabited mostly by single straight yuppies. (Coffee bar! Pool table! Hot tub! Sun deck!) Great area for trendy restaurants and bars which appeal to that crowd, but not much in terms of a "neighborhood" feel. The areas north of Near North / Gold Coast along Lake Shore Drive, particularly Lincoln Park and Lakeview, have a more homey, neighborhood feel while still being minutes away from the Mag Mile and the Loop.

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2024 3:25 PM

R50 I don't disagree with you at all, but I made that suggestion with the idea that OP has to be in/near the loop (which may or may not be the case).

The Gold Coast/Near North, West Loop and South Loop are the three closest neighborhoods and they're probably all very similar and sterile, but the WL would be the most neighborhood-ish of those three.

Of course Lincoln Park, etc. all are much nicer and have a much warmer feel to them, but they're also farther out. Once you go north of North Avenue or farther than 12-16 blocks south or west you're starting to talk about a 30-45 minute commute.

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2024 4:22 PM

R51, I live in Lakeview and take the LSD express bus from Roscoe / LSD to Mag Mile. It's 12-14 minutes and runs every few minutes during morning and evening rush hours. Less often during regular hours.

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2024 5:17 PM

Evanston is lovely and has really inexpensive real estate.

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2024 4:48 AM

I'm a fan of live blues.

Can anyone recommend good clubs?

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2024 9:51 AM

This is the connoisseur's favourite, r54.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2024 10:11 AM

R54.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2024 12:43 PM

Thank you r55 and r56!

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2024 9:53 AM

Telling people that I'm moving to Chicago is a great political litmus test. The two replies I tend to receive:

"Chicago, what a great city! Be sure to check out the Art Institiute/the Field/Botanic Garden."

"Chicago, omg!!!j! You're going to get SHOT EVERY DAY."

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2024 6:49 PM

It's a great city and four people were just shot to death on a CTA train to the suburbs.

Both statements can be true at the same time.

Try Ukrainian Village. It's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2024 7:45 PM

I wonder where OP moved? I hope he didn't move to West Loop. West Loop is fiun, it's like visiting Brooklyn, when you live in Manhattan. The public transit is more annoying than usual for Chicago and it's just sort of disconnected from the other happening places. The gay people I know that live there LOVE the area, because it's really nice, but hate being so far from everything else. OP, if you want to take part in the gay scene I wouldn't do West Loop because you will doom yourself to countless nights taking overpriced Ubers to and from Lakeview. Not the end of the world, but nothing beats having the option to walk home (mile plus away), take a car, or easy public transit options. West Loop is anything but easy to reach.

Op, move to Lincoln Park or Lake View for your first year, then explore what works from there. As a gay man, you won't regret being in those locations year one.

by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2024 8:25 PM

Gold Coast, r60

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2024 8:39 PM

Respect r61. I was down there with a hookup Saturday morning. Was gorgeous out and I love the energy in Gold Cost, during the day. At night, eh.

by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2024 8:45 PM

R60, the biggest nuisance for west loop is that it's off the green line, not the red line.

by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2024 9:11 PM

Was born in Chicago and returned for a couple of years after grad school.

Coldest winters and hottest summers I ever suffered through.

Nothing, NOTHING made it endurable.

by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2024 9:16 PM

MARY r64

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2024 9:17 PM

r64 = Paul Butterfield

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2024 9:18 PM

I grew up in Oak Park and went to college in Evanston. Both on El lines, both have affordable housing. O is faster trip to the Loop, but, while there are plenty of gay folk in OP, I don’t think there is gay nightlife without a car. Evanston is more accessible by El to North side gay life. I always found both pretty safe and interesting on their own terms.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2024 9:21 PM

[quote] The gay people I know that live there LOVE the area, because it's really nice, but hate being so far from everything else.

I agree with this excellent writer. You should live closer to the nice things and not by the other things, or something.

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2024 9:57 PM

R67- how old are you? I grew up in Oak Park as well. I feel lucky to have grown up there. It’s progressive as far as suburbs go.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2024 10:18 PM

Oak Park is extremely progressive. Many gay people live there. It's a great streetcar suburb and it continues to get "cooler" with each passing year.

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2024 10:43 PM

r63 which means a transfer at the Loop. Either your gonna have to pay to go from above ground to underground for the Red Line, or you have to wait for the Brown line, which will take longer getting north (depending you your destination). West Loop is a chore to reach if using the CTA compared to other parts of town. I'd also add Logan Square to that equation.

by Anonymousreply 71September 3, 2024 5:40 AM

It has been said Oak Park is so liberal, that they exit on the left. And it’s true, the exit ramps on I-290 are positioned to have you get off from the median.

by Anonymousreply 72September 3, 2024 9:50 AM

R72, now that's funny. And it really is liberal. The Oak Park neighborhood association--I think that's what it's called, I could be wrong--actively tries to promote diversity. And it shows. Oak Park is one of the few truly integrated areas in the Chicago area.

by Anonymousreply 73September 3, 2024 2:55 PM

Every North Side neighborhood that is within two-three miles of the lake is integrated. Only a third of the city is white.

by Anonymousreply 74September 3, 2024 7:16 PM

Chicago winters and summers are far more mild, except for maybe four days each season. A tip of the hat to climate change, Here's Google AI:

"Climate change is affecting Chicago's weather in several ways, including:

Rising temperatures: Chicago's average temperature has increased by 2.6°F since 1980. By 2050, Chicago could experience an average of 38 days per year with temperatures over 92.7°F.

More extreme heat waves: Climate change is increasing the frequency and intensity of heat waves.

Heavier rainstorms: Chicago could experience more damaging rainstorms.

Growing flood risks: Chicago could experience greater flood risks.

Warmer winters: Chicago's winters have warmed by 0.55°F per decade since 1980. "

by Anonymousreply 75September 3, 2024 7:21 PM

r75 I know I love it. Another example of global warming being an issue for the poors in the world. We are sitting pretty up here in Chicago. Just need to watch out for them tornados.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 3, 2024 11:54 PM

Chicago is one of the American locations most susceptible to wet bulb if temperatures keep increasing. Leading to more heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

by Anonymousreply 77September 4, 2024 12:22 AM

R69 I was born there in 1957 and lived there until I started college in 1975; I went to Northwestern in Evanston. Went back summers until my folks retired to Glen Ellyn around 1970 or 81. Moved to teaching job in central Illinois and then out of state since. Went back for a year , 2003-04, for a sabbatical leave, when I did more graduate work. Growing up always lived west of East Avenue, first in South Oak Park Avenue. Sabbatical year lived two blocks from Austin stop on the Blue Kine ;the Arts District). Would move back in a heartbeat, but am planted in smalltown upstate Collegetown in NYS because of my husband’s health.

by Anonymousreply 78September 4, 2024 12:51 AM

Again, only an issue if you are homeless. Rest of us have AC and a roof over our heads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 4, 2024 12:52 AM

R78- thanks for answering! I was born there in 1976. We were two ships :)

by Anonymousreply 80September 4, 2024 10:11 PM

Cicero is near Oak Park and is very corrupt. It’s about 90% Hispanic and the rest are old white republicans who have or had connections with the city. The type of place you go to awful schools but with the right family, you can get a do nothing job at one of the 3 park districts.

by Anonymousreply 81September 4, 2024 11:34 PM

Cicero is not to be considered. Maybe Berwyn, but even then .,,

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2024 12:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!