Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dutch Bros looking to conquer the US coffee market

Dutch Bros was founded in 1992 by two dairy farmers, brothers Dane and Travis Boersma. Dane, who franchised a Dairy Queen at the age of 22, recruited Travis, then a college student, to embark on roasting espresso together.

The duo bought their first espresso machine that year, then opened Dutch Bros as a coffee pushcart by the railroad tracks in Grant Pass, Ore. (where the company is still headquartered). Travis Boersma tells me the team strove for a “fun and cool” working environment from the get-go, without a “big, bad boss standing over your shoulder.”

The employees are given autonomy on how to serve customers and encouraged to be “cool and creative” in their interactions. Boersma, who still sits on the company’s board, said sometimes employees even realize the high-energy environment isn't for them.

Dane Boersma, whom the team called the wise man, passed away in 2009 at age 55 from ALS. But his customer-centric management philosophy endured, eventually paving the way for bubbly-yet-poised food veteran Christine Barone to become Dutch Bros’ third CEO in January 2024.

Last quarter, Dutch Bros handily beat expectations on earnings, revenue, and sales, with same-store sales growth of 10%, while Starbucks' North America and US same-store sales dipped 3%.

Its profit jumped 40% year over year to $54.3 million, while revenue increased 39% to $275 million.

The stock is up 34% in the last 12 months at a time when the broader food industry is battling uncertain macroeconomic conditions spurring things like the hamburger value wars.

Starbucks shares have fallen 26% over the past year, while Tim Hortons’ parent company Restaurant Brands International (QSR) fell 8%. McDonald’s (MCD), which is getting into the coffee game with its latest concept CosMc, is down roughly 11%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2024 7:02 AM

THey don't have the money.

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2024 5:56 AM

I’d rather get coffee on the street like this when walking my dog. I was never that comfortable in Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2024 7:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!