Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mayor Pete comes in SECOND in poll asking who should be Kamala's VP pick!

Ever since President Biden ended his reelection bid Sunday, there’s been little doubt about who’s likely to replace him atop the Democratic ticket: Vice President Kamala Harris.

But one mystery remains: Who will Harris recruit as her running mate?

Welcome to the veepstakes. It’s a time-honored Washington tradition. Speculation swirls. Names emerge. Pundits pontificate. Vetting begins. Ultimately, a new political partnership is born.

According to a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll, which was conducted from July 19 to 22, Democrats don’t have a clear favorite for the job — yet. When shown a list of potential Harris running mates and asked to “select all” they would “approve of,” a plurality of voters who identify as Democrats or Democratic-leaning independents answered “not sure” (30%) or “none of the above” (6%).

The next-highest finishers were California Gov. Gavin Newsom (30%), Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg (25%) and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (24%) — the most familiar names on the list.

Less prominent — but potentially more realistic — Democratic contenders such as Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro (24%), Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly (18%), Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (15%) and North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (11%) brought up the rear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178August 6, 2024 11:26 AM

Haha fuck you haters, saying it's "not Pete's time."

It IS his time.

The voters want change across the board.

PETE BUTTIGIEG FOR VICE PRESIDENT!!!

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2024 2:20 AM

Yes, it's the twenty first century, time to face reality.

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2024 2:22 AM

HARRIS/BUTTIGIEG 2024!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2024 2:22 AM

That faces in the photo at R3 are who I want representing the US in 2024.

A female President, and a gay male Vice-President.

Leading us into the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2024 2:25 AM

OP I agree.

Buttigieg would be a very good running mate for Harris.

Unfortunately,

She has made her choice.

HARRIS/OATMEAL 2024!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2024 2:25 AM

She needs Pennsylvania. Her VP choice should bring PA with them.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2024 2:31 AM

OP Kamala Harris saw this…

…and said it wasn’t good enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2024 2:33 AM

Instead, this is what she chose.

This is like a what a black person’s parody of what an extremely white person would be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2024 2:38 AM

It’s like Ryan Murphy when he writes a black female character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2024 2:38 AM

I'm a gay man, a lifelong PA native. Governor Josh Shapiro is the best choice; he's greatly admired and respected here. I don't want to lose him, but he's needed for our democracy.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2024 2:39 AM

Not white enough!

I need the human equivalent of Ross’s teeth from the episode where he gets them bleached!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2024 2:42 AM

They just said a few minutes ago on MSNBC that as of tonight, it appears to be down to 3, Shapiro, Cooper and Kelly, with Shapiro in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2024 2:44 AM

Nope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2024 2:46 AM

[quote] They just said a few minutes ago on MSNBC that as of tonight, it appears to be down to 3, Shapiro, Cooper and Kelly, with Shapiro in the lead.

Well it's Kamala's fucking loss.

None of those boring ass straight white males are going to excite Democratic voters.

Pete would make this race ELECTRIC.

Shapiro, Cooper and Kelly?

Just more of Tim Kaine from 2016.

They'll add nothing to the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2024 2:50 AM

[quote] HARRIS/OATMEAL 2024!!!!

As a Beshear support, FUCK YOU, for making me laugh at that.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2024 2:54 AM

*supporter

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2024 2:55 AM

[quote] None of those boring ass straight white males are going to excite Democratic voters.

But they may appeal to Never Trump Republicans.

Which is the point.

And Shapiro is no Tim Kaine.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2024 2:58 AM

PETE better SERVE

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2024 2:59 AM

[qutoe]And Shapiro is no Tim Kaine.

no, he's a WHOLE lot better (and possibly worse in some ways)

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2024 3:00 AM

Shapiro has an Isreal/Gaza problem and a union problem.

Kelly has a union problem and he's not cute. I don't want to see that for 4 years.

Cooper is too old. We want a young ticket.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2024 3:01 AM

HARRIS/NOODLES & BUTTER

HARRIS/UNFLAVORED GELATIN

HARRIS/ROOM TEMPERATURE TAP WATER

HARRIS/MANILA FOLDER

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2024 3:02 AM

[quote] They just said a few minutes ago on MSNBC that as of tonight, it appears to be down to 3, Shapiro, Cooper and Kelly, with Shapiro in the lead.

Clearly, her team is not paying attention to the polls.

And Shapiro will turn off young voters who were okay with Kamala because of her sympathetic stance to the plight of the people in Gaza.

Putting Shapiro on the ticket would be a lightning rod. He's a pro-Israel Zionist who would just divide voters all over again.

We don't need that bullshit.

I promise you, Shapiro will cause her to lose. Young voters who were excited about her, will stay home because of Shapiro.

We don't need a Zionist in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2024 3:04 AM

[quote] Shapiro has an Isreal/Gaza problem

Why? He’s an American. He’s not an Israeli.

That’s such backasswards - and anti-Semitic - thinking.

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2024 3:05 AM

R22

You realize her husband’s last name is Emhoff right?

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2024 3:05 AM

[quote] You realize her husband’s last name is Emhoff right?

Which shows there's already a Jewish voice that would be in the White House.

We don't need our US government dominated by them, and shaping our foreign policy around Israel.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2024 3:17 AM

This reminds me of 2020 when it was Warren, Whitmer, and Klobuchar all over again.

It won't be any of those three. It will be Beshear. He's campaigning with her this Sunday in Georgia and has already posted a cryptic message on Twitter signaling he's leaving KY but is proud of being from the state. It's him.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2024 3:18 AM

I was just referring to his political problem at this particular time, but go ahead and name-call.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2024 3:19 AM

[quote] Shapiro has an Isreal/Gaza problem and a union problem.

Especially comparing the campus protesters to the KKK. Shapiro ain't getting it. Sorry. She has energized young people to levels similar to Obama. Picking Shapiro will certainly piss them off.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2024 3:21 AM

If it's not Pete, then I would be okay with Beshear.

He's a good guy, and a safe choice.

If that's what she's looking for.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2024 3:21 AM

R12 here. It was Alex Wagner who reported that and if I remember correctly, she said it had to do with Shapiro's popularity in his state of Pennsylvania, which Kamala must win if she is to win the Presidency.

But to the point of others here, Eddie Glaude just said on Stephanie Ruhle's show that David Hogg -- whose March for Our Lives org just endorsed Kamala -- tweeted out that whomever she chooses, it CANNOT be Josh Shapiro or else all of the enthusiasm generated around her this week would be lost.

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2024 3:43 AM

[quote] We don't need our US government dominated by them, and shaping our foreign policy around Israel.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2024 3:43 AM

[quote] But to the point of others here, Eddie Glaude just said on Stephanie Ruhle's show that David Hogg -- whose March for Our Lives org just endorsed Kamala -- tweeted out that whomever she chooses, it CANNOT be Josh Shapiro or else all of the enthusiasm generated around her this week would be lost.

GOOD!

I hope that Kamala is listening.

She had better not blow this election by choosing Shapiro.

Kamala has the advantage right now, and the goodwill of most Democrats.

Shapiro will split the party right open. All over again.

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2024 3:50 AM

It would be rich to see the MAGAT reaction to a gay couple and their biracial children in the WH.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2024 3:55 AM

Please NO to Shapiro.

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2024 4:00 AM

Unfortunately, it cannot be Newsom. Both he and Harris are residents of California--and both candidates on the ticket cannot be from the same state...and Newsom cannot move and establish residency elsewhere because he is the governor of California.

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2024 4:01 AM

Goddammit! The Dems must win Pennsylvania, but Shapiro is such fanatical supporter of Israel--and Israel blows.

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2024 4:03 AM

[quote] Newsom cannot move and establish residency elsewhere because he is the governor of California.

But Kamala can.

If Dick Cheney can move from Texas to Wyoming to become VP, then Kamala can move from CA to wherever, to become President.

Especially since her primary residence has been in DC for the past four years.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2024 4:04 AM

[quote] Goddammit! The Dems must win Pennsylvania, but Shapiro is such fanatical supporter of Israel--and Israel blows.

Shapiro can still deliver Pennsylvania for Democrats, even without being the VP nominee.

There is nothing to stop him for working hard to make Kamala President.

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2024 4:05 AM

Newsom as VP is a non-starter. I like him very much and have voted for him many times. But switched residences or not, he [italic]is[/italic] California. So is Kamala. They're both the most high-profile CA politicians out there now. She needs somebody from somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2024 4:08 AM

[quote]It will be Beshear. He's campaigning with her this Sunday in Georgia and has already posted a cryptic message on Twitter signaling he's leaving KY but is proud of being from the state. It's him.

I have a question with regard to Beshear: I like him but watching him talk on TV this past week, he appears to be a somewhat calm presence, which is obviously a good thing but wondering if that could be a problem when facing off in a debate with someone like JD Vance? What I mean is, I would hate to see Vance be called the "winner" of a debate due solely to force of personality just because Beshear doesn't push back forcefully on his bullshit, choosing instead to speak rationally and not employing the kind of aggression needed when up against an asshole like Vance.

This is not a knock on Beshear, just wondering what others may think.

by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2024 4:13 AM

R40, I'd love to see Pete debate Vance!

by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2024 4:15 AM

R41, that's kind of what I mean: I think Pete or even Mark Kelly would eviscerate Vance whereas Beshear seems too much of the "nice guy" and wouldn't go for the throat like Pete and Mark. But maybe I'm just not giving him enough credit and would happily be wrong should he wind up being Kamala's choice.

by Anonymousreply 42July 27, 2024 4:27 AM

I, too, would love it to be Pete. But realistically she had better choose Beshear or Kelly.

Is anyone else tired of the blackmail attempts by various groups over this? "If it is/isn't X, them we'll stay home on election day." Yeah, right. It's Kamala or Trump, and anyone who doesn't vote for Kamala is issuing a de facto vote for Trump. After we win, there will be time to argue these other issues. If we don't win, all these other issues become pointless in the face of another Trump presidency. I agree with whoever it was upthread who said the goal with the VP pick should be to attract never-trumpets and other disgruntled Republicans who are willing to cross party lines in order to defeat Trump. The stakes are too high for ideological purity. We have to win, which means we have to get out and vote -even if our favorites aren't on the ticket.

The alternative is Trump, and anyone who doesn't cast a ballot for Kamala is casting one for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 43July 27, 2024 4:29 AM

I love Andy Beshear.

He's a real class act. Very polite, sincere, and gracious.

Andy Beshear is the ANTITHESIS of Trump and Vance.

I think he's a winner.

He's also a former prosecutor and Attorney General, so that's a total power team with Kamala Harris.

Here's Andy on Morning Joe. If you don't think he's tough, take a listen....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 27, 2024 4:33 AM

R43, I agree with you 100%. In fact, as much as I'm loving the joy and energy Kamala's candidacy has injected into the party, I could never understand for the very reasons you cite why in the hell Joe Biden was not coasting to reelection. So people would rather march single file into a fascist dictatorship under a traitor and convicted felon than stick with freedom and democracy just because Joe Biden is old? Seriously? Never made one bit of sense to me but here we are.

by Anonymousreply 45July 27, 2024 4:40 AM

He would destroy Vance in a debate, especially on abortion. Just look at the debate he had with Trump-backed candidate Daniel Cameron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 27, 2024 4:41 AM

You should clarify that you're talking about Andy Beshear, R46.

by Anonymousreply 47July 27, 2024 4:43 AM

Was clarifying that necessary, R47, since the video is entitled "Gov. Beshear, AG Cameron on abortion?"

by Anonymousreply 48July 27, 2024 4:45 AM

If Kamala picks Pete I will be staying home on election day. She would be passing up QUALIFIED candidates for some hooterville hillbilly? No way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 27, 2024 4:50 AM

You can't vote anyway Boris/R49, so quit yer bitchin'.

Get the fuck outta here.

by Anonymousreply 50July 27, 2024 4:52 AM

R50 Keep pissing off Democratic Voters and you will end up with Veep Vance.

by Anonymousreply 51July 27, 2024 4:54 AM

Pete would be my choice. Beshear would be second choice. No to Shapiro or Cooper, but I’m voting for Kamala regardless.

Pete will be president someday. He’s only 42. He’s very smart. I would love to see him debate Vance.

by Anonymousreply 52July 27, 2024 4:55 AM

[quote] Keep pissing off Democratic Voters and you will end up with Veep Vance.

Okay, Boris/R51.

Get the fuck outta here.

by Anonymousreply 53July 27, 2024 4:57 AM

Beshear defines, strictly by appearance, "bland."

R38 makes a pertinent point.

by Anonymousreply 54July 27, 2024 5:01 AM

Pick the Jew or the Fag. Both are fine with me!

by Anonymousreply 55July 27, 2024 5:01 AM

Thanks for that clip, R46. If Beshear can hold his own against an asshat like Cameron, which he did nicely, then that makes me more confident that he could stand up to the likes of Vance.

As for Shapiro, I really like him but don't want Kamala to choose him if it could reverse the momentum of her campaign. I think Pete, Beshear, Kelly or Cooper would be safer choices.

by Anonymousreply 56July 27, 2024 5:13 AM

Lot of Hamas supporters in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 57July 27, 2024 5:23 AM

R56 In what world do you live where Buttigieg is a safe choice? He's very unpopular with Black voters. I hear he's gay too.

by Anonymousreply 58July 27, 2024 5:27 AM

Lots of pragmatists in this thread who game out the pros and cons of each candidate.

by Anonymousreply 59July 27, 2024 5:31 AM

Beshear calmly destroying MAGAt Matt Bevin in a debate on abortion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 27, 2024 5:46 AM

I don't care if Pete is gay, I care that he had a troubling record as mayor of South Bend and as Transportation Secretary. And he proposed people should be taxed for the amount of miles they drive.

by Anonymousreply 61July 27, 2024 6:24 AM

Harris/Streisand

by Anonymousreply 62July 27, 2024 6:34 AM

I am a through-and-through blue Jew and unapologetic Zionist, but I love America more, and that means that as much as I would love to see Shapiro by Kamala's side, I don't want her to do ANYTHING that would rock the boat with those cunts on the far left.

If it means Kamala needs to name a used bandaid as her running mate to win their vote, we need to support it. There's just too much at stake for us to add to the already huge list of picky bitches threatening to hand our country over to a dictator.

I'm happy to put antisemitism on the backburner until we have our democracy secured. Hell, it's been nearly 4,000 years, we can suck it up for 100 more days.

by Anonymousreply 63July 27, 2024 7:20 AM

R49, your vote is yours to do with what you like, but I genuinely hope you come down with a raging case of antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea.

by Anonymousreply 64July 27, 2024 7:31 AM

[quote] I don't care if Pete is gay, I care that he had a troubling record as mayor of South Bend and as Transportation Secretary. And he proposed people should be taxed for the amount of miles they drive.

Oh, you poor thing.

Are you THAT concerned Susan Collins @ R61?

by Anonymousreply 65July 27, 2024 7:41 AM

[quote] Kamala or Trump, and anyone who doesn't vote for Kamala is issuing a de facto vote for Trump

Well young people are known to cut off their nose to spite their face. And you already got the message loud and clear from one of them David Hogg. No on Shapiro or they are staying home. It's not that he's Jewish, it's his very very pro one sided view of Israel. Young people two sides to that conflict like the Jewish settlements in the West Bank for example, and no Boomer meltdown over an excuse for that it is going to change their mind. You saw all the protests months ago on school campus. You really think they forgot about it?

You know the saying, when people tell you who they are? David Hogg just told you what the youth vote thinks, ignore them at your own peril.

by Anonymousreply 66July 27, 2024 7:56 AM

It would be a powerful statement to have Pete on the ticket, but as a practical matter he’d be underutilized as VP. His skills would be better put to use as Secretary of State, or Chief of Staff.

by Anonymousreply 67July 27, 2024 8:08 AM

[quote]In what world do you live where Buttigieg is a safe choice? He's very unpopular with Black voters. I hear he's gay too.

What! He's GAY??? R58, let me guess, this is your first time venturing out of Fox news trolling a GAY chat board.

Actually I take that back, even haters at Fox know he's gay. You got to be a Russian Troll, it's the only explanation of your lack of knowledge. I hope someone steals your borscht at lunch time.

by Anonymousreply 68July 27, 2024 8:08 AM

R44, do you know whether Andy Beshear has a big dick?

by Anonymousreply 69July 27, 2024 8:10 AM

R67, I kind of agree with you, those are good ideas for Pete, however, being made VP does not mean you have to sit quietly in the background. Kamala could decided to use him more as a co-president type of situation. Biden didn't do that with her, she was there just in case died for the most part. Obama on the other hand did use Biden quite a bit, he had a lot of skills working with the Senate and talking to people to get things done behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 70July 27, 2024 8:15 AM

[quote]Pick the Jew or the Fag. Both are fine with me! —Donald Trump

Jared Kushner is not a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 71July 27, 2024 8:17 AM

If Kamala selects Pete - does everybody feel confident that a female POC and a gay man can win?

by Anonymousreply 72July 27, 2024 8:21 AM

Yes R72. it's 2024 not 1984.

What time is it in Moscow?

by Anonymousreply 73July 27, 2024 8:24 AM

YES!

by Anonymousreply 74July 27, 2024 8:25 AM

Pete would reinforces continuity with the Biden administration, he would solidify the theme of Kamala's campaign future vs past, he would bring the youth vote and he is of the best political messengers in the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 75July 27, 2024 8:27 AM

Pete has never been elected to any position higher than mayor of a small city. He’s a great speaker but hasn’t proved he can bring any new voters to Dems.

by Anonymousreply 76July 27, 2024 8:50 AM

Pete was the winner of the Iowa Caucus in 2020!

But sadly, I agree: it's not his time. He needs more experience, and in more profile roles. Has any Cabinet member ever been VP on a ticket?

by Anonymousreply 77July 27, 2024 8:55 AM

Pete for the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 78July 27, 2024 8:57 AM

R78, I appreciate and share your enthusiasm for Pete but I’d honestly prefer someone else, maybe with a law degree.

by Anonymousreply 79July 27, 2024 9:00 AM

[quote]I’d honestly prefer someone else, maybe with a law degree.

Yeah, look what that got us.

by Anonymousreply 80July 27, 2024 9:46 AM

I find it interesting that Gavin Newsom's name isn't even being considered.

Just look at the polling. He's coming in at #1, but he's not even in contention.

Is there some sort of bad blood between him and Kamala?

Does someone here have some good insider information?

And don't say "because they're both from California," because that can easily be remedied, just like Dick Cheney did in 2000 when he moved from his and George Bush's home state of Texas to Wyoming so that they would be from "different" states.

by Anonymousreply 81July 27, 2024 9:57 AM

We vote for Miss Lindsey, highly beloved by the media and her Senate colleagues from both parties.

The lady isn’t straight despite her proclamations.

Pete has clarity. Hope Pete is the choice. If not him, Andy Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 82July 27, 2024 10:00 AM

R82 South Carolina

by Anonymousreply 83July 27, 2024 10:02 AM

[quote] Pete was the winner of the Iowa Caucus in 2020!

Pete got 25% of the vote in Iowa, the same percentage he got in this poll. Once again, 75% of voters want someone other than him. Having a ceiling of 25% isn’t going to help in a national election.

by Anonymousreply 84July 27, 2024 10:18 AM

I have no idea what R82 and R83 are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 85July 27, 2024 10:33 AM

J"adore Pete, but he would take the spotlight off of Kamala. It would be all about Pete and the wingnuts would force all of the coverage on the little gay boy instead of real issues.

by Anonymousreply 86July 27, 2024 12:27 PM

[quote]I find it interesting that Gavin Newsom's name isn't even being considered.

It has to be a swing state. Moving ain't going to fool anyone nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 87July 27, 2024 3:22 PM

[quote] I find it interesting that Gavin Newsom's name isn't even being considered.

Why would you think the former Mayor of San Francisco and present governor of California would want to be on the ticket as his former District Attorney and Attorney General?

by Anonymousreply 88July 27, 2024 3:28 PM

R68 Sense of Humor noun phrase : a personality that gives someone the ability to say funny things and see the funny side of things

by Anonymousreply 89July 27, 2024 5:32 PM

I agree with R81.

Why isn't Gavin Newsom's name in the mix?

by Anonymousreply 90July 27, 2024 6:04 PM

If Pete is polling second, and Gavin Newsom isn't being vetted, then that makes Pete FIRST in the polling!

by Anonymousreply 91July 27, 2024 7:02 PM

Because the twelfth amendment does not allow electors from a state to choose President and Vice President from the same state. Therefore, California's 54 electors could not select another Californian for Vice President. Because the electoral college threshold will likely be under 54 electors, it means the Republicans electors would end up selecting the Vice President.

Why can't people look things up?

Newsom will likely wait until 2028 and if by chance Harris wins she will probably end up appointing him Secretary of State as a reward for staying out of her way and not pushing for an open convention in public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 27, 2024 7:06 PM

The 12th amendment doesn’t allow the VP and President to be from the same state.

When Bush picked Cheney as VP, Cheney had to change his official residence from Texas to Wyoming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 27, 2024 7:07 PM

Gavin doesn't want to be Kamala's VP. Or anyone's VP. He'll wait and run for President himself, either in 2028 or 2032. Right now he is well placed to campaign for Kamala and help her into the White House. If he wants a cabinet position later, he'd probably get one. And he needs that national experience and exposure before his own presidential run.

As for Pete, he's in a similar position. His best option is to help Kamala win, and then move to a higher-profile position in her cabinet. Maybe even run as Gavin's VP. These men are young enough and wise enough to be able to play the long game successfully.

by Anonymousreply 94July 27, 2024 7:36 PM

[quote] These men are young enough and wise enough to be able to play the long game successfully.

Pete is still young.

But Gavin will be over 60 in the 2028 election cycle.

Time is ticking for him.

by Anonymousreply 95July 27, 2024 7:49 PM

Newsom's best hope for becoming President is Harris losing this year because then in four years he can be "I told you so" and "You need an alpha male to do this."

by Anonymousreply 96July 27, 2024 7:59 PM

I never realized how little time candidates have to get their foot in the door for being President.

If your party is in power, you have to wait 4 to 8 years for your next chance.

And what usually happens is that the other party gets elected after that, so you have to wait another 4 to 8 years.

That's potentially 16 years before you get another shot at being President.

Gavin's 57 this year, so if Kamala were to get elected to two terms, and then say a Republican followed her for two terms, Gavin would be 73 before he could potentially be President.

That's crazy!

In effect, that's why Hillary aged out so soon. 8 years of her husband, and then 8 years of Bush. She was trying to follow Bush, but then there were 8 years of Obama. 8+8+8 = 24 years.

Once she lost to Trump, it was all over, because after 28 years, she would be pushing 80.

It seems that with Presidential hopefuls, timing is everything.

by Anonymousreply 97July 27, 2024 8:08 PM

[quote] Gavin's 57 this year, so if Kamala were to get elected to two terms, and then say a Republican followed her for two terms, Gavin would be 73 before he could potentially be President.

That’s why he needs her to lose this year for him to have hope of being the president soon.

by Anonymousreply 98July 27, 2024 8:15 PM

"Newsom's best hope for becoming President is Harris losing this year because then in four years he can be "I told you so" and "You need an alpha male to do this."

If Kamala loses this election, do you really think we'll have another in four years?? You really think Trump will relinquish power?

by Anonymousreply 99July 27, 2024 8:24 PM

Yes r99.

If Trump wins, he’s getting pushed down a flight of stairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 27, 2024 9:04 PM

[quote]Is anyone else tired of the blackmail attempts by various groups over this?

Nobody is "blackmailing" anybody over this. Enough.

[quote]I love Andy Beshear. He's a real class act. Very polite, sincere, and gracious. Andy Beshear is the ANTITHESIS of Trump and Vance.

It's also the antithesis of the "democracy is doomed" message the party wants to send.

You don't need polite sincere, and gracious to win. This isn't a bake sale.

by Anonymousreply 101July 27, 2024 9:29 PM

He’s not on the legend short list.

by Anonymousreply 102July 27, 2024 9:37 PM

I don't know if Gavin wants to be President anyways. Yes he's ambitious, but he also knows how much MAGA and most of Flyoverstan hate anything and anyone with the name California attached to it. He's got an ideal job right now in change of the biggest economy, a lot of power, and people open to new ideas. He would have to move a lot more to the center if he wanted to win the presidency and I am not sure he wants to do that. He likes being a progressive.

by Anonymousreply 103July 28, 2024 12:04 AM

[quote]I love Andy Beshear. He's a real class act. Very polite, sincere, and gracious.

When they go low, we go high and then we lose.

Polite aint going to cut it babe.

by Anonymousreply 104July 28, 2024 12:07 AM

So who do you suggest, R101 and R104?

Tell us, oh wise ones.

by Anonymousreply 105July 28, 2024 2:09 AM

I would love to see Pete as VP and his family in Washington DC, with Kamala and Doug Emhoff.

It would be amazing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 28, 2024 10:15 AM

Mark Kelly is nowhere near as good a public speaker as Pete.

Just listen to him stumble through this interview asking him about abortion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 28, 2024 10:54 AM

Pete Buttigieg Shares How He'd Campaign as Kamala Harris' VP | TMZ Live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 28, 2024 11:14 AM

We need a heterosexual man as VP, one that can speak in favor of abortion and reproductive rights for women. A gay man will not connect with straight men, especially Hispanics and blacks. Thanks to the drag queens and the trans the gays rather than going forward we are going to go backwards, we are going to pay a heavy price thanks to the debauchery that characterize these two groups. Just look at the distasteful show that these two groups carried out in Paris mocking Christianity, including children , and with satanic elements. We are never going to win no matter how qualified and good a gay men is because there is a subset of folks in the so call LGBTQ that one gays to be seen as freaks and unfortunately these people are the loudest ones, always ready to be the representation of you and me normal gay and lesbian guys. I know, it is disgusting but true.

by Anonymousreply 109July 28, 2024 12:05 PM

CNN just showed a list of VPs that Kamala might pick, Pete seems to be back on the list of 7. I think he might just be a sleeper pick. A dream progressive ticket we have not seen in decades.

by Anonymousreply 110July 28, 2024 12:08 PM

[quote]A gay man will not connect with straight men, especially Hispanics and blacks. T

You realize a LOT of Hispanics and blacks are gay right? The ultra conservative ones are already MAGA. Your theory is moot.

by Anonymousreply 111July 28, 2024 12:09 PM

[quote] You realize a LOT of Hispanics and blacks are gay right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 28, 2024 12:47 PM

109r I’m Hispanic, and let me tell you this, Hispanics won’t vote for a gay men, even more so now that trans and drag queens are destroying every single thing that normal gays have done to gain respect from the heterosexual majority. After the disrespectful queer performance in Paris bukele and Milei came out publicly trashing the whole event. Warning against “woke” culture. Brace yourself, because society is getting more conservative and the exotic elements among the gays are getting louder and bolder to antagonize and dare the heterosexual mayority, notice that it is not lesbians doing these things, but this is all coming from very effeminate gays trying to be loudest that everybody else in the rest of the so called lgbtqa+ whatever community.

It is interesting though, from what I see on Hispanic social media that most attacks and “homophobic “ comments and right wing influencers’s videos , that society is sirt of beginning to separate and make a distinction between homosexuality and gays and trans/queers folks. I think that at some point in the future the gays and the queers will be totally separated as fully distinct identities recognized by the heterosexual majority. This heterosexual mayority is starting to not only differentiate gays vs queers but also putting gays at a higher level of respect while fully discriminating against the queers.

by Anonymousreply 113July 28, 2024 1:55 PM

Pete on Fox News this morning, talking about Trump:

“He didn’t keep his promise of 6% economic growth. He broke his promise to pass an infrastructure bill. He even broke his promise to that J6 mob when he said, ‘I will be at your side when you march down to the Capitol.’

“But he actually did keep two promises: He kept his promise to destroy the right to choose in this country, and he kept his promise on tax cuts to the rich.

“If you want to know what a second Trump term would look like, I would look at those rare promises that he actually managed to keep. He’s disavowed a lot of things. I don’t believe him. He lies all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 28, 2024 4:51 PM

We may lose if it’s Pete, even though I think he’s great. Latinos and African Americans as a group (I know I’m generalizing) are not going to respond well to a gay man. It sucks but it’s reality.

by Anonymousreply 115July 28, 2024 5:11 PM

R111 I hope you’re right. R115 here. I have little faith in the majority of Americans but I’d love to be proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 116July 28, 2024 5:13 PM

Oh please, I could make the same argument about Latinos and African Americans never electing a women. They are all hos and bitches to them. See how that works?

by Anonymousreply 117July 29, 2024 5:18 AM

Mexico was ahead of the United States on gay marriage more than a decade ago. You old queens and nelly hand wringers are living in the past with old stereotypes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 29, 2024 5:22 AM

Hon, it's not the latinos and blacks who are gatekeeping the White House. It's the conservative, white majority. They are terrified of losing their status, power, and privilege.

by Anonymousreply 119July 29, 2024 6:05 AM

Those of you who keep wanting to see Pete on the ticket keep forgetting that you have to appeal to the conservatives in the swing states that are Independent. Sure the young kids are all rah rah for a woman and a gay man on one ticket but that is a sure way to lose. You have to appeal to people who are tradesmen and they want to see someone strong and not too progressive. They need a man's man to balance her out for the times when she goes on ditzy land and starts talking about time.

by Anonymousreply 120July 29, 2024 6:18 AM

I agree R119, which is why it does not matter if Pete is gay, those conservatives are already ass deep in MAGA world voting Trump anyways.

by Anonymousreply 121July 29, 2024 6:19 AM

[quote]Those of you who keep wanting to see Pete on the ticket keep forgetting that you have to appeal to the conservatives in the swing states

Ha, Ha NO. That ship sailed years ago. There is no appealing to conservatives. This is about getting out the vote, getting Democrats to come out in record numbers and to appeal to swing voters who if they are open to a woman as president most likely have LESS issues with a straight acting gay man.

THERE ARE NO REPUBLICAN SWING VOTERS, THEY ARE ALL IN THE TANK FOR TRUMP, HOW CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THAT?

by Anonymousreply 122July 29, 2024 6:23 AM

but there are plenty of swing voters.

by Anonymousreply 123July 29, 2024 6:25 AM

She has a bunch of good choices. I would think Shapiro and Kelly are the frontrunners but Beshear's likability and squeaky clean image is tough to attack. And it slaps away the message they are trying to portray that she's a SF elite liberal radical.

by Anonymousreply 124July 29, 2024 6:31 AM

They would and still will call Kamala a SF elite liberal even if her running mate were Ronald Reagan.

Since that's the case, I say go for it and make Pete the VP.

by Anonymousreply 125July 29, 2024 6:37 AM

R124 That is what worries me, she's an SF elite liberal radical. I live here and the CA Democrats are ultra-liberal and don't appeal to the middle of the country. She Needs balance on the ticket. I like Beshear. Maybe he would work. It can't be a woman or a gay man on the same ticket. Not this time. Maybe in the future.

by Anonymousreply 126July 29, 2024 6:49 AM

Kamala is not radical though. She's openly liberal. But not to a problematic degree. Her time with Biden has really stabilized her and she knows where the middle ground is and has a feeling for it. Even before she was never as liberal as a Gavin Newsom

by Anonymousreply 127July 29, 2024 6:55 AM

[quote]I don't care if Pete is gay, I care that he had a troubling record as mayor of South Bend.

South Bend! It sounds like dancing!

by Anonymousreply 128July 29, 2024 7:07 AM

[quote] South Bend! It sounds like dancing!

When I lived there, I used to call it South Bend Over!

Or at least that's what Pete always told me to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 29, 2024 8:26 AM

[quote] Beshear: No matter what happens with veepstakes, I'll work to elect Harris

That doesn't sound very hopeful for Andy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 29, 2024 11:41 AM

Kamala Harris has been very tight-lipped about this whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 131July 29, 2024 11:50 AM

Beshear has a nepo problem.

You say, “WTF? Trump is the biggest nepo baby of all.”

You’re right, he is.

But media has glossed over Trump’s nepotism and inheritance, and Trumps cult — plus the impenetrably stupid “undecideds” — believe Trumps narrative that he’s a self made billionaire genius. Media gave Trump a tv show bolstering his claim of wealthy business genius. “If the tv says so, it must be real,” they think.

So it’s already solidified inside their craniums that Trump is a brilliant businessman - for 50 years headlines have labeled him a “real estate mogul,” a “tycoon” and a “dealmaker.” But Beshear has zero national recognition, zero national media attention. He’s a blank slate to the public.

So when Vance attacks Beshear as the son of a governor whose dad got him a job at his old law firm, then he stepped into dad’s office in the Capitol — it’s not going to look good, especially when Vance claims he is the self-made working class son of a drug addict who was raised by Meemaw and Peepaw, drinks Mountain Dew and got a scholarship to Harvard all by himself. .

Remember, logic no longer has a place in US politics. It’s all image and branding. Both Trump and Vance are nationally known celebrities who’ve crafted their stories for the media over the years. That’s a huge advantage over the rarefied son of a governor.

by Anonymousreply 132July 29, 2024 2:22 PM

Tim Walz. All day long.

by Anonymousreply 133July 29, 2024 2:30 PM

I wamt to win. And unfortunately putting Pete on the ticket will not make that happen. THE MOST important thing is that Trump not get back into the White House. I seriously hope they do not pick Pete this time around. I do think Pete will continue to be a prominent political figure and one day may be a Presidential candidate but not right now. We need all the help we can get with moderates and middle of the road folks. I'm a gay dude myself and would love nothing more than to pick Pete. I'm just trying to be realistic and our 2024 climate is not the right time.

by Anonymousreply 134July 29, 2024 2:30 PM

Per Queerty, Beshear tops the gays' VP wishlist:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 29, 2024 3:04 PM

[quote] Per Queerty, Beshear tops the gays' VP wishlist:

What the FUCK??!!!

Chasten! Bring me the ax!!

South Bend Royalty.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 29, 2024 3:40 PM

Pete failed massively at his job. He’s a great speaker and defender but he is not ready for higher office. Kamala already has the issue with fucking up her border job. We don’t need two people who have massive failures in their background. She needs someone with real experience, a governor.

by Anonymousreply 137July 29, 2024 3:58 PM

I would love to see him as Press Secretary. He would fuck Fox and Newsmax up in the most delightful way.

by Anonymousreply 138July 29, 2024 4:52 PM

Pete has NOT failed at his job -massively or even in a small way. Quit watching FOX, R137!

by Anonymousreply 139July 29, 2024 8:15 PM

Kamala is really missing out if she doesn't choose Pete as her running mate.

Just look at the FIRE in his eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 29, 2024 10:24 PM

That poll is about name recognition only.

by Anonymousreply 141July 29, 2024 10:25 PM

That's how Peter looks when he's ready to ravish me!

by Anonymousreply 142July 29, 2024 10:25 PM

Mayor Pete, Secretary Pete, Veep Pete?

by Anonymousreply 143July 29, 2024 10:34 PM

Pay no attention to the pontificating blowhard @ R132. Thank you in advance.

by Anonymousreply 144July 29, 2024 10:54 PM

I won’t need to sell Avon and fake purses to get a minivan if my Peter becomes VP-it will be nothing but armored limos and Suburbans for the Buttigieg family!

Jen Psaki will be sooooo jealous!

by Anonymousreply 145July 29, 2024 11:00 PM

[quote] especially when Vance claims he is the self-made working class son of a drug addict who was raised by Meemaw and Peepaw, drinks Mountain Dew and got a scholarship to Harvard all by himself. .

Bite your tongue!

We have enough bad press.

by Anonymousreply 146July 29, 2024 11:04 PM

[quote] Instead, this is what she chose.

She has not announced a choice yet. You are jumping the gun.

by Anonymousreply 147July 29, 2024 11:09 PM

JD Vance did not go to Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 148July 29, 2024 11:09 PM

Per the NYT, Roy Cooper has withdrawn his name from the list of potential candidates for VP.

by Anonymousreply 149July 29, 2024 11:13 PM

Cooper was allowed to retain some dignity by letting him claim he withdrew himself.

by Anonymousreply 150July 29, 2024 11:22 PM

Pete always comes first or I get spanked.

by Anonymousreply 151July 29, 2024 11:27 PM

Ew, Chasten/R151.

Nobody wants to imagine you having sex, much less getting spanked on your doughy ass.

by Anonymousreply 152July 30, 2024 1:35 AM

Kamala has worked with Pete the most, and for the longest period of time, having both served in the Biden Administration.

Why wouldn't she go with the guy she knows best, rather than with someone she barely knows, like Kelly or Shapiro?

by Anonymousreply 153July 30, 2024 2:35 AM

[quote]Why wouldn't she go with the guy she knows best, rather than with someone she barely knows, like Kelly or Shapiro?

Why would Kamala want all the transportation issues thus linked to her? Best to keep Pete at a distance and not be contaminated by those issues. Kelly brings benefit without the baggage.

by Anonymousreply 154July 30, 2024 3:34 AM

Transpiration issues? Well they are already LINKED TO HER because she is part of the BIDEN/HARRIS administration, regardless of who her VP pick is.

by Anonymousreply 155July 30, 2024 5:52 AM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 30, 2024 6:28 AM

MSNBC is reporting that Pete Buttigieg is now being vetted by Harris campaign.

I am telling you, he is going to be the sleeper October surprise. They are going to find stupid crap on all the other first choices and Pete will be the logical choice at that point.

by Anonymousreply 157July 31, 2024 9:52 PM

Mayor Pete and Andy Beshear have honestly been the only two VIABLE choices for Democratic VP nom.

All the others have always been problematic.

by Anonymousreply 158July 31, 2024 9:55 PM

She has to burn through the other old men before she can get to Pete or Andy.

If she had picked Pete from the start, everyone would be accusing her of just playing liberal card, but by vetting the others off the list, it makes a good case for picking Pete if she chooses to. Plus Pete is highly visible and making a lot of positive waves for the Democratic party. Beshear also a good choice though.

by Anonymousreply 159July 31, 2024 10:04 PM

No, r155; "transportation." As in, Secretary of.

by Anonymousreply 160August 1, 2024 8:14 AM

Two things I right now believe:

1.) Kamala's announcement on Tuesday of her VP choice from Philadelphia's Independence Hall is a red herring. That Gov. Shapiro will be there because Governor, duh, but the actual candidate will be someone else. Even if Josh does wear Stevie Pommel Horse eyeglasses.

2.) There is no Democrat currently in government who is more concise, more articulate, more dogged, and more informed than Pete Buttigieg. That's with brilliant Bill Clinton as the standard.

If Pete isn't the Chosen One, we need him to be everywhere on TV talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 161August 1, 2024 8:25 AM

Go, Pete!

by Anonymousreply 162August 1, 2024 1:02 PM

I'll bet he has moved up in the polling.

by Anonymousreply 163August 1, 2024 1:10 PM

Mayor Pete has the best name recognition out of all the people being vetted.

With only 3 months left before election day, it makes sense to choose him as her running mate.

There's no need to "introduce" him to the public. They already know him, and he can hit the ground running.

In fact, he already is!

by Anonymousreply 164August 1, 2024 1:20 PM

[quote] There is no Democrat currently in government who is more concise, more articulate, more dogged, and more informed than Pete Buttigieg. That's with brilliant Bill Clinton as the standard.

I totally agree.

Plus, Kamala already knows him and has a relationship with Pete.

by Anonymousreply 165August 1, 2024 2:27 PM

[quote] Kamala already knows him and has a relationship with Pete.

Kamala already knows Shapiro and Kelly and has a relationship with them, so that blows that argument out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 166August 1, 2024 3:02 PM

[quote] Kamala already knows Shapiro and Kelly and has a relationship with them, so that blows that argument out of the water.

She knows Pete better than either of those guys, and she has actually worked with Pete very closely, for the past four years.

Not the same thing at all.

by Anonymousreply 167August 1, 2024 3:14 PM

[quote] she has actually worked with Pete very closely, for the past four years.

It’s pretty easy for you to make up shit, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 168August 1, 2024 3:21 PM

They've both worked in the Biden Administration R168, one as VP and one as a Cabinet Secretary.

You're the one who's making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 169August 1, 2024 10:53 PM

I never saw this, so young!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 2, 2024 6:58 AM

Pete and Maura Healey look they could be siblings.

by Anonymousreply 171August 3, 2024 6:58 PM

[quote]I live here and the CA Democrats are ultra-liberal and don't appeal to the middle of the country.

I live here, too, and can assure you that even here in L.A County, there are plenty of moderate Dems. Many of the Gen X and Boomers I know are old school Biden voters who support Harris because she's the pick, but want one of the older guys to be VP, not Pete.

by Anonymousreply 172August 6, 2024 7:39 AM

If experienced mattered, Trump would have never been elected president. Now before you say look what happened, that's only because he was a shitty person and businessman. Had it been someone respectable like Pete would be a totally different story.

by Anonymousreply 173August 6, 2024 8:02 AM

Seems like it's over now for Buttigieg as he's out of the running for VP. Announcement tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 174August 6, 2024 8:22 AM

duh.

by Anonymousreply 175August 6, 2024 8:42 AM

Oh well, maybe he will get a cabinet position.

by Anonymousreply 176August 6, 2024 11:18 AM

[quote] Oh well, maybe he will get a cabinet position.

He already has had a Cabinet position for the past four years.

Why would he want to do the same thing for another four to eight years?

That's fucking insulting.

by Anonymousreply 177August 6, 2024 11:20 AM

Not if it's a better position R177, like Chief of Staff or Secretary of state. I am not saying he will get those, but you asked why he would stay. And if Biden had not stepped down and won, he would have had another 4 years as Sec of Transpiration.

by Anonymousreply 178August 6, 2024 11:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!