Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lucille Ball:Password with kids and Gary Morton

There have been a couple of threads recently about Lucy. Stumbled upon this. I know there is a lot of pffft for Gary Morton, but seeing him interact with the kids here, I don't get it. And he had extreme BDE. Also Lucy's kids are very bright! Very enjoyable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 29, 2024 4:16 PM

What led me to this was Dick Cavett interview with Lucy, Carol Burnett and Lucy Jr. In itself, this is amazing. Not sure this was discussed in earlier threads. I was never an I Love Lucy fan, but I am totally a Lucy fan!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2024 1:55 AM

That has to be the ugliest dress Carol ever wore.

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2024 2:00 AM

The kids look terrified. Especially Lucie. They seem closer to Gary.

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2024 2:03 AM

Can't have been easy to come in as a step father to those kids, especially. And they both turned out pretty great. I don't get the hate for Gary. Also, did I mention the BDE??

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2024 2:08 AM

I remember another show where Lucille was wearing a jacket with a marabou collar that kept getting in her mouth. Dick asked her if she wanted to take the jacket off and she said no. Obviously didn't want her neck to show.

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2024 2:10 AM

This was the maribou collar interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2024 2:28 AM

Are we sure Lucie wasn't "special"?

by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2024 2:28 AM

Lucie Jr. really did seem to be a little "slow" in this. OK, I mean she looked retarded!

by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2024 2:57 AM

Yes, r6, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2024 3:15 AM

Let's be honest. It took a while for Lucie to bloom, but bloom she did.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2024 3:17 AM

Lucie had the misfortune of being videotaped at the age of 13. She's doing that pre-teen thing of being exasperated over absolutely nothing. If it were up to me, all photos of anyone from the ages of 11 to 15 would be destroyed when they turn 21. No one should have to witness themselves in that condition. There's a couple snapshots of me at that age that made me question whether my DNA was 100% human.

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2024 3:32 AM

Lucie looks like she’s trying to mimic her mom with the exaggerated facial expressions.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2024 5:48 AM

R12 Lucie did comment somewhere on that Password episode. She acknowledged she was making faces and trying to be funny, to be "on". She's embarrassing. From what I recall on that or another episode, Desi was pretty smart and did a great job for a kid his age.

I guess "they both turned out pretty great", but didn't Desi impregnate someone at age 14?

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2024 7:05 AM

Lucie has addressed this Password Show by saying she was going through her dramatic actress phase

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2024 7:10 AM

Lucie has fully admitted it took a while for her to come into her own. She was a very shy and nervous kid, while her brother was very confident from a young age.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2024 7:29 AM

Lucy was almost old enough to be Gary's mother but it's amazing how that was covered up at the time. She was a very attractive woman, though.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2024 2:33 PM

Not a fan of Lucie the kid. She’s always “on” like she’s auditioning or something.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2024 2:41 PM

Wonder if Gary took a nasty dump between shows and the studio had to be aired out.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2024 4:53 PM

You would wonder that, r18.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2024 4:59 PM

[quote]Lucy was almost old enough to be Gary's mother but it's amazing how that was covered up at the time.

She was 13 years older.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2024 5:02 PM

A Dler once said that Gary Morton was one of those 70s guys in a cheap toupee and polyester pants who just finished up stinking up the bathroom so awful the paint was peeling.

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2024 5:02 PM

Lucy was at least six years older than Desi Sr.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2024 5:11 PM

How many Dutch ovens did Gary subject Lucy to?

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2024 5:14 PM

Once a week, Lucy made Lucie burnish her stepfather with a vigorous rub of Lemon Pledge.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2024 5:32 PM

R21 - Jack Klugman also had that vibe.

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2024 5:29 AM

Just random speculation… but were there any gay rumors about Gary Morton? After watching OP’s clip, I got curious about him. His first marriage was annulled. His third marriage was to a golfer who looked super dykey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2024 1:52 PM

Very rarely if ever were there gay rumors about a third rate comic in 1960, R26.

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2024 2:09 PM

Lucie had the bad luck to be at the most awkward age (pre teen/very early teens) during one of the most awkward fashion/hairstyle eras (early mid 60s)...that hair....

She seemed as bright and funny as ever, her gestures have not changed at all though she did grown into them more as an adult.

Gary seemed like a good guy, sweet, easy going but masculine.

Lucille as always, remarkably beautiful. One of the few cases were she seemed to grow almost more beautiful with age. And she seems happy here.

by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2024 2:32 PM

After this embarrassing appearance, Gary learned to start talking Lucy out of things.

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2024 2:36 PM

What did Gary do besides play golf all day?

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2024 3:26 PM

I don't think this Password appearance is embarrassing. They obviously practiced at home. Lucy loved backgammon or.something. had tournies at her house.

by Anonymousreply 31July 28, 2024 3:28 PM

I read how Lucy was very vocal in disapproving about Desi Jr.'s relationships with Patty Duke and Liza Minelli. Now that's a bold move for a mother only.a young adult! It worked eventually though.

by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2024 3:30 PM

R30, he essentially was Lucy's informal manager. She ran all of her decisions by him and always took his advice. Whether or not that was a good thing, depends on your perspective. Are you happy that she's still the most beloved comedienne of all time or would you rather have seen her challenge herself with roles in such films as The Manchurian Candidate, The Graduate, Don't Look Now, Dressed to Kill and Agnes of God?

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2024 3:30 PM

[quote]Liza Minelli.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2024 4:17 PM

@r30, "What did Gary do besides play golf all day?"

Um, I'm still thinking... Oh, he gave me "the big one" and for that I'll always be grateful

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2024 4:23 PM

Lucie's mugging is insufferable and Desi Jr. looks so natural and seems to be having a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2024 5:09 PM

R33 alot of those roles Lucille would have never taken regardless of advice...she seems to have been fairly "proper" and not one to be interested in risque things. Would have loved to see her though.

by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2024 6:02 PM

Lucy was too big a name to end up as Miss Ellie or one of those.

by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2024 6:05 PM

I loved Desilu more than anyone, and still think their love will forever be unequaled, but I don't get why people trash Gary. He made Lucille happy, her kids all speak glowingly of him, he didn't cheat on her and she could depend on him. I'm glad she found him.

by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2024 6:05 PM

Lucy and Gary had hot eldersex, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2024 6:09 PM

[quote]Can't have been easy to come in as a step father to those kids, especially. And they both turned out pretty great. I don't get the hate for Gary.

The public was initially angry at Lucy for divorcing Desi. "The Ricardos" were a very beloved couple in America and when they separated, many Americans saw the disillusion of a happy couple and couldn't understand why. Not to mention divorce was still very controversial back in those days. (Vivian Vance would go on to play the first divorcee on TV in The Lucy Show two years later.)

Gary was seen as an interloper. Desi largely retreated from the public eye, so Lucy got the brunt of the criticism.

by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2024 6:15 PM

It's interesting Lucy almost divorced Desi in 1950 before the TV show and the kids. So you know their relationship was tumultuous. Desi was a philander and a gambler (and a boozer). I am sure Lucy had her fun but would in the end not abide his disrespect.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2024 6:21 PM

Thank you, Lucie (R28)

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2024 6:21 PM

One of the reasons that she wanted the show was so Desi would be involved with the show and not sleep around so much.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2024 6:28 PM

Then having guest stars like Barbara Eden and Joi Lansing was probably not a great idea.

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2024 6:45 PM

Gary Morton was a standup comedian, Lucy said he made her laugh and these wedding photos seem to prove it. Later he was a behind the scenes producer of some movies through Lucille Ball Productions, like All the Right Moves, with Tom Cruise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2024 11:55 PM

R20 Okay then she was almost a decade and a half older.

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2024 11:58 PM

Lucy was 50 in those wedding photos and looked like a modern 70. Gary Morton was only 36 and looked a modern 55! Crazy how much older people looked back then.

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2024 12:31 AM

R48 You think she looks 70? Did you watch The Lucy Show? (Made around this same time.) She did not look 70 on The Lucy Show.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2024 12:34 AM

I sometimes watch these old shows with the original ads and see all the ads for aspirin, etc., and think we didn't even have Advil, Aleve, or Tylenol over the counter. When I had a headache my mom would give me a Bufferin. If we had a cut it was mercurochrome, which is banned, now. Not as many prescription meds, either. If people looked older, no wonder. Basically had to self-medicate with booze and cigs.

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2024 1:25 AM

Advertising of prescription drugs was banned. Same for lawyers, doctors, etc.

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2024 1:33 AM

Gary's third wife was married to him for about 4 or 5 years until his death. 23 years his junior. She never remarried. Is now 76. Mannish-looking golf pro.

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2024 1:33 AM

R51. True. But otc drug ads were ubiquitous (Contac, Excedrin, Anacin, St. Joseph's children's aspirin, Campho-Phenique, Vick's Vaop-Rub).

by Anonymousreply 53July 29, 2024 1:38 AM

Those wedding pics are great! They both look very happy. Good for them!

by Anonymousreply 54July 29, 2024 1:51 AM

Vapo-Rub

by Anonymousreply 55July 29, 2024 1:51 AM

Lucy probably looks a little older because she didn't have a wig on, or the rubber band across the head thing on, with the wig over it. She'd started to use that on TV, by then (unless she had to do a stunt involving water, or where she needed not to have a wig on).

by Anonymousreply 56July 29, 2024 1:54 AM

^Rubber band to pull the face up.

by Anonymousreply 57July 29, 2024 1:55 AM

I wonder what the kids thought of a third rate borsch belt comic taking Desi's place?

by Anonymousreply 58July 29, 2024 2:46 AM

I am sure they had to adjust, but Gary seems.fond of them in the Password video.

by Anonymousreply 59July 29, 2024 3:10 AM

Lucie said they kept making their mom and dad watch The Parent Trap (I guess they owned a copy of the film?--since there was no home video then). Hoping their parents would get the hint and not get divorced.

Desi towards the end of the marriage was falling-down drunk a lot of the time, and Lucy and Desi were fighting constantly, so it was probably tough for them to see their parents get divorced but probably also more peaceful when they did and Gary came into the picture.

by Anonymousreply 60July 29, 2024 6:15 AM

^Maybe she meant after the divorce, they made Lucy-Desi watch the movie. Desi was still around a lot -- a LOT -- he produced-directed the first season or two of The Lucy Show.

by Anonymousreply 61July 29, 2024 6:18 AM

R60- That’s not true. The Parent Trap was released in 1961 . Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were divorced in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 62July 29, 2024 11:03 AM

It’s that damned dated wig that aged Lucy. It’s ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 63July 29, 2024 1:49 PM

Lucie is a mouth breather.

by Anonymousreply 64July 29, 2024 2:45 PM

Carole Cook said on a Dean Martin Roast of Lucy:

"Then she married Gary and he brought something to her life she had never had before - boredom!"

by Anonymousreply 65July 29, 2024 3:56 PM

R62, see R61.

Lucie was quoted as saying this in the Coyne Steven Sanders book, Desilu, iirc. I assume the parents were already divorced and they took them to the film or made them watch it separately.

by Anonymousreply 66July 29, 2024 4:16 PM

(Took them to it separately or otherwise made them watch it separately.)

by Anonymousreply 67July 29, 2024 4:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!