Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In Praise of Kimchi

Any non-Asian kimchi eaters on DL? Conversely any Asian kimchi haters on DL?

I discovered kimchi about 12 years ago and now always have a small jar in my fridge. I eat about ¼ cup when I feel I need some good probiotic roughage in my diet. Not everyday though.

Currently I buy my kimchi at an Asian grocery if I'm over in that part of town, or Walmart if I don't want to drive so far.

It's an acquired taste for some, but I like it. Sour, salty, spicy, & crunchy -- so good! Beats sauerkraut all hollow.

What's your experience with kimchi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2024 12:31 AM

When I lived in Japan, the Koreans would eat it for breakfast and smelled of kimchi, cigarettes and coffee. A great combination first thing in the morning!

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2024 9:52 PM

I love kimchi, too. In all kinds of things. And I am non-Asian. Just last week I made grilled cheese kimchi sandwich. The strangest thing I had with kimchi was a kimchi croissant from a bakery in Amsterdam, which was surprisingly good given that it sounds *very* weird.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2024 9:54 PM

I like it as well, OP.

I don’t stock it in my fridge, but I have ordered it at least 4-6 times in the last 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2024 10:01 PM

Isn't it just the clippings you find at the bottom of a trash bin?

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2024 10:02 PM

I can't stop eating it when I have a jar. I LOVE it. I especially like radish kimchi. I love the crunch of the radish cubes. But I can't think of a kimchi that I tried and did not like. Some can be slightly too funky for my taste, but I'll still eat them without complaint.

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2024 10:10 PM

I made Sarah Moulton's Quick Kimchi once. Yes, it was quick and would probably horrify every Korean auntie alive with its inauthenticity, but it was pretty tasty. Now I just keep a store-bought jar in the fridge (and often forget that I have it even though I enjoy it).

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2024 10:11 PM

Quick or "emergency" kimchi is legit. I think it's something that Korean people make and eat. It's actually easy to make.

Here's how I make it:

Radish (daikon), cut into half-rounds, salted and drained

Garlic, lots, pushed through a press (this is the only use for my garlic press)

Green onions (scallions)

Fish sauce. I use the 3 Crabs brand.

Gochugaru (it's like the crushed red chili pepper that you put on pizza, but no seeds)

Optional: carrot (for color)

Refrigerate immediately.

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2024 10:18 PM

We used to get pickled daikon at Costco, is it similar? It smelled awful but tasted crunchy-good.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2024 10:57 PM

For R8: Kimchi is a spicy Korean version of sauerkraut. Same texture.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2024 10:59 PM

Pickled daikon does smell awful, but tastes good.

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2024 11:36 PM

Health benefits of kimchi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2024 11:58 PM

She's gotten really, really fat.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2024 12:07 AM

I love it. It has great flavor and as others have said above it’s something I snack on when I have a jar in the fridge. You do have to be careful to brush, floss, and mouthwash if you’re going to be around others though. It can give you shocking breath.

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2024 12:19 AM

I prefer radish to cabbage also.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2024 12:23 AM

So far, radish kimchi seems to be a contendah

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2024 12:25 AM

It's vile.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2024 12:28 AM

It's no lutefisk.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2024 12:28 AM

This is my favorite brand of all including the high end and low end Korean restaurants around here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2024 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!