Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The story of 5 actors who missed out on iconic roles

Twenty-five years ago, Hugh Jackman was cast in a role that changed the arc of his career, becoming Wolverine in the 2000 movie “X-Men.” However, he wasn’t the first actor chosen for the part.

The role originally went to Dougray Scott of “Ever After” fame, who had to withdraw from the mutant mayhem because of his schedule on “Mission: Impossible II.”

Jackman has gone on to incarnate Logan a.k.a. Wolverine in nine films and will again portray the sharp-clawed superhero in this week’s “Deadpool & Wolverine.” Scott, meanwhile, joined a long line of alternative universe Hollywood casting stories. Here’s more on him and a few other actors who missed out on playing characters that ended up leaving their marks on pop culture:

Scott told the Daily Telegraph in 2020 that when production on “Mission: Impossible II” went longer than had been scheduled, star Tom Cruise insisted he stick around to finish the film. “For whatever reason he said I couldn’t (do the role),” Scott told the publication. Calling Cruise “a very powerful guy,” Scott added that “other people were doing everything to make it work.”

Scott said he also suffered an injury while filming “Mission II” that threatened to delay things further. The domino-like chain of events opened a door for Jackman.

Scott, however, bears no ill will toward the Australian star.

“I love what Hugh did with (the Wolverine role). He’s a lovely guy,” he said.

“The Matrix” is considered among the best science-fiction films, but at least two big stars were considered for the lead role of Neo before it eventually went to Keanu Reeves.

Will Smith explained in a video he posted to YouTube in 2019 that he was hesitant to do more work in the sci-fi genre after 1996’s “Independence Day” because he “didn’t want to be the ‘alien movie guy.’” (Steven Spielberg, who executive produced “Men In Black,” succeeded in convincing Smith to do that 1997 movie after Smith initially passed on it.)

When “The Matrix” came around and directing pair Lana and Lilly Wachowski pitched Smith the project, he balked. He said he had trouble picturing the Wachowskis’ vision of Neo being frozen mid-air during a jump sequence – an example of their now-classic “bullet time” cinematography that was introduced in “The Matrix.”

Smith went on to say how he decided to do the movie “Wild Wild West” – which turned out to be a critical and commercial miss – instead of “The Matrix.”

“I’m not proud of it,” he said in his video, conceding that Reeves “was perfect” in the role.

As for the other star who said “No” to Neo? Brad Pitt, who said in early 2020 that he “took the red pill” instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2024 1:59 AM

Much has been written about Winona Ryder dropping out of “The Godfather Part III,” the 1990 threequel that followed a duo of Oscar-winning films in the ’70s.

Ryder had just wrapped the dramedy “Mermaids” opposite Cher, and flew to Rome with only one day of lead time before embarking on the role of Mary Corleone, daughter to Al Pacino’s Michael. And while it was speculated that Ryder dropped out at the last minute due to something wildly scandalous, she was in fact sick and exhausted.

She explained back in 1990 to the LA Times: “The whole thing has been blown out of proportion. I’d done three films in a row: ‘Great Balls of Fire,’ ‘… Roxy Carmichael’ and ‘Mermaids.’ Right after (“Mermaids”) wrapped, I flew to Rome with a terrible upper-respiratory infection and a 104-degree fever.”

“I literally couldn’t move,” Ryder explained at the time. “The studio doctor told me to go home, said I was too sick to work. It wasn’t my choice. It was out of my hands. Sure it’s disappointing, devastating in fact. I wish it didn’t happen … but it did.”

Cher supported her onscreen “Mermaids” daughter, telling the publication in the same article that Ryder “was fried, really fried. She’s not a flake, but you can’t wring out a wet rag. She’s just a little girl… not a superwoman. And you can’t start a film on ‘empty.’”

The role of Mary instead went to Sofia Coppola, director Francis Ford Coppola’s daughter who went on to become an acclaimed film director in her own right. The move was met with much derision at the time.

Luckily, everything worked out for all involved.

As CNN reported last fall, Ian McKellen spoke about not being the first choice to play the legendary wizard Gandalf in the “Lord of the Rings” franchise, a role that has come to define his career. In an interview with Variety, the esteemed actor shared some of the actors who turned down playing the character.

“I don’t think you’re ever the first choice. I certainly wasn’t the first choice for Gandalf,” McKellen said at the time. “Tony Hopkins turned it down. Sean Connery certainly did. They’re all coming out of the woodwork now, and I hope they feel silly.”

Connery, who died in 2020, spoke about his reasoning for declining the part back in 2006, when he explained that he “never understood” the role or the dense fantasy work by JRR Tolkien upon which the Peter Jackson-directed film franchise is based.

“I read the book, I read the script, I saw the movie. I still don’t understand it. I would be interested in doing something that I don’t fully understand, but not for eighteen months,” Connery said at the time, referencing the lengthy New Zealand-based shoot for “Lord of the Rings.”

It might be hard to fathom after five movies, but Harrison Ford was not actually the first pick to play intrepid archeologist Indiana Jones in the classic 1981 adventure movie “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” The part was initially offered to Tom Selleck, who was not well known yet as he had only just filmed the pilot for “Magnum, P.I.”

Selleck explained how he lost out on the Indiana role earlier this year on the “Today” show.

“I was offered the role and wanted it, but I had done a pilot of ‘Magnum.’ And Steven Spielberg and George Lucas kept the offer out to me,” he said in May. “They said, ‘We’ll work it out and you can do both.’ And the more they wanted me, the more CBS (the network behind ‘Magnum’) said, ‘No, we don’t want to let him do it.’”

Selleck added that the missed opportunity “wasn’t exactly a cross to bear,” as “Magnum, P.I.” eventually went to series and became a hit, spawning eight seasons and netting him an Emmy Award.

“When I signed the deal for ‘Magnum,’ it was the best thing that ever happened to me,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2024 9:23 PM

I’m so glad Will cunt Smith turned down the matrix. He also turned down Django. Those 2 films are better than anything Will has ever done with the exception of King Richard which excellent but obviously not as iconic as those 2 films.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2024 9:31 PM

Eric Stoltz, Back to the Future

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2024 9:32 PM

Jackee in Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2024 9:35 PM

R3 He actually was casted and they filmed the entire film lol. They just recasted him. That’s how bad they wanted MJF.

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2024 9:35 PM

I cannot see Sean Connery as Gandalf. Sir Ian is perfect for the part.

And Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones? No way.

Unless Indiana Jones was gay.

Harrison Ford has swagger. Tom Selleck does not.

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2024 9:38 PM

R5 or maybe that's how bad Stoltz was.

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2024 9:49 PM

There is no “casted”. It’s simply “cast”.

Julia Roberts was cast in Shakespeare in Love. Sets were built, crew as assembled, but Roberts was unhappy because Daniel Day-Lewis wouldn’t come aboard, he opted for My Left Foot instead. Julia quit, and the production was in limbo for years. (These details are from Ed Zwick’s bio).

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2024 10:00 PM

R8 sorry. I’ve been doing that for years. I am too educated to keep making that mistake. Please don’t judge me. I’m sorry.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2024 10:02 PM

I've missed ALL OF THEM due to my busy schedule.

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2024 11:16 PM

Winona should feel lucky that she missed out on the CRAP FEST known as Godfather III.

That movie sucked donkey balls.

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2024 11:19 PM

[quote]He actually was casted and they filmed the entire film lol. They just recasted him. That’s how bad they wanted MJF.

Eric Stoltz filmed on Back to the Future for approximately four weeks. Producers realized he wrong for the role after a couple of weeks. Stoltz wasn't playing it lighthearted enough. Stoltz was playing it as a serious drama.

So producers starting making arrangements to get Michael J. Fox. to take over. They had originally wanted Michael J. Fox, but Family Ties producer Gary David Goldberg wouldn't release him to film the movie. This time Back to the Future came back with more compromises so Fox could film both the TV series and the movie simultaneously.

They did not film the entire movie with Stoltz. Just four weeks of it.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2024 11:29 PM

R12 They filmed nearly all his scenes. I would have cried myself to sleep every night. There are other vids on the internet with more scenes as well on the audio on top of stills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2024 11:36 PM

Actually filming of most movies before these steroid up action filming was 2-3 months. Hollywood usually something goes wrong or some actor’s schedule changes so it’s about a quarter of a chance filming will be extended. But actual filming is usually 2-3 months.

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2024 11:39 PM

r8

My left foot came out in 1989 and Shakespeare in Love came out in 1998... uh....

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2024 11:51 PM

R15 so. It lingered for years after its star and other creative casting choices dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2024 11:53 PM

R12, according to Thomas F. Wilson who played Biff, they were nearly finished with the shooting when Stoltz was fired.

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2024 11:55 PM

R17 yep I’ve heard other actors say that as well. They pretty much only had to reshoot the scenes in which Marry does not appear, which was a lot granted but that’s how far they had come along in production. Popcorn films like this don’t have long production shoots. There isn’t an artsy film or an epic war drama.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2024 12:04 AM

Marty* I’m so sick of iPhone auto typing my shit.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2024 12:05 AM

According to Wikipedia entry on Back to the Future:

Nov. 28, 1984 -- shooting begins on Back to the Future with Eric Stoltz in the lead. It has a 14-week filming schedule set to end on Feb. 28, 1985.

Dec. 30, 1984 -- director Robert Zemeckis and producers review the footage that has been shot and decide Stoltz is wrong for the role.

Jan. 3, 1985 -- Film producers convince TV producer Gary David Goldberg to let them use Michael J. Fox as their lead. Fox agrees to do the movie without even reading the script. However, he can't start immediately, so they continue filming with Eric Stoltz

Jan. 10, 1985 -- Zemeckis informs Stoltz he's being fired

Jan. 15, 1985 -- Fox begins shooting on Back to the Future

April 26, 1985 -- filming concludes after 107 days.

July 3, 1985 -- movie opens on 1,400 screens in North America

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2024 12:10 AM

Don't forget all the parts Gary talked Lucy out of. The most egregious of these was when he talked her out of playing Sandy in Grease.

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2024 12:31 AM

MJF is a one-note actor. He got juvenile roles because he looked 10 years younger than his age. His transition to adult roles was brief and largely underwhelming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2024 12:33 AM

R21 Lucy who?

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2024 12:35 AM

R22 lol. I don’t know but Spin City is an underrated sitcom including the Charlie Sheen years.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2024 12:36 AM

LOL R22 have you ever looked at MJF's filmography?

Casualties of War

Bright Lights, Big City

The Secret of My success

Doc Hollywood

Sin City

a lot others and a shit load of voice work.

PLUS HE WAS IN AN EPISODE OF FAMILY!

Nearly 100% of actors would love to have those credits. Not to mention the ones I didn't include. You can not like him, and I'm no big fan, but he's been a very good, diversified actor.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2024 12:39 AM

Hugh is a QUEER

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2024 12:43 AM

How in the world is this even being discussed. Stoltz is a good actor but totally wrong for Marty McFly. MJF was perfection and with him and not Stoltz, Back to the Future became iconic. With Stoltz' glum performance (according to everyone who worked with him), the movie would have been forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2024 12:45 AM

R20 clearly the director made the right decision.

BTTF was a huge success, and so were the sequels.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2024 1:40 AM

I can't imagine anyone else except Michael J Fox in Back to the future. He made the movie extremely entertaining. "Libyans! "

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2024 1:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!