Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sitcom housing layouts that made no sense.

Why did Theo's room on The cosby show have two beds in it? Wouldn't it have made more sense for Denise to have that room, so if Sondra came and stayed she would have a place to sleep? Where did Sandra and Elvin crash and have sex, BTW?

Where does that top right door off of the staircase at Julia Sugarbakers house go to? That has to be one small bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 114August 1, 2024 12:07 AM

Oddly people in Cosby's family just fell asleep, suddenly wherever they are.

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2024 6:00 PM

I was always more surprised by the ones that made sense. For me, Bewitched is almost perfect, at least the ground floor.

And we had the same front door.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2024 6:05 PM

Sondra and Elvin fucked in Cliff’s basement OBGYN office. She liked to get in the stirrups.

Why make him an OBGYN and have him work from home? It was odd. And did he ever have a nurse or assistant?

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2024 6:10 PM

R2 white privilege much????

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2024 6:11 PM

r2 The problem with the Bewitched house is that the window over the kitchen sink would've looked into the garage.

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2024 6:27 PM

Nearly all sitcom houses but Golden Girls takes the cake.

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2024 6:35 PM

Kate and Allie's two story 4 bedroom garden apartment on Bank Street

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2024 7:42 PM

R4, that stick up your ass will never be an adequate substitute for a real dick.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2024 7:50 PM

Did they ever show Alice's bedroom on TBB?

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2024 8:11 PM

I didn’t understand the hallway in Ricky and Lucy’s house. Was Ricky’s room attached to the hallway or through their bedroom?

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2024 8:16 PM

Sitcom Floor Plans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2024 8:19 PM

The Bewitched house was all over the place through the various seasons. The hall closet moved from under the stairs to next to the den (and back). The kitchen gained a second staircase at one point! The the kitchen itself rotated 90 degrees in the seventh season.

And that poor Robinson family! No bathroom at all on the Jupiter 2!

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2024 8:36 PM

How could Mike Brady, an architect, have a house with six kids and have one bathroom?

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2024 11:23 PM

Why couldn't Jack, Janet and Chrissy have gotten their own place? How many years does it take to get through cooking school?

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2024 1:07 AM

Julia’s house on Designing Women. There was no upstairs and yet bedrooms were shown.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2024 1:11 AM

How did Cater Waiter/struggling actor Jack live across the hall from lawyer Will?

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2024 2:28 AM

R15 there was a staircase right by the front t doors

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2024 2:39 AM

The house on Roseanne is one of the best examples of this.

The girls and DJ share a Jack & Jill Bathroom, but the placement of their bedroom doors indicate that there's no way that's possible.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2024 2:49 AM

Also, the Golden Girls House makes no sense. There isn't enough room in the back yard, which is visible from the living room, for all their bedrooms to be back there, nor is it possible with the placement of the garage entrance through the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2024 2:49 AM

The Huxtables had a window by their stairs, yet the front of the house is flush with the neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2024 3:44 AM

Same on The Nanny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2024 4:07 AM

the Bunkers' house has an enclosed porch in the opening credits.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2024 4:24 AM

I never noticed any of these things. Good thing I didn't want to be an architect when I grew up.

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2024 4:29 AM

R9, Yes. Alice's bedroom was right off the utility room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2024 4:34 AM

The exterior of the Roseanne house wouldn’t allow for as much living room space as we see on the show.

There wouldn’t be enough room for the recliner AND the built-in bookshelf (like Kathy Bowman’s) to the right of the front door as you enter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2024 5:17 AM

See?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2024 5:22 AM

R19 The Golden Girls house and layout is bad.

The hallway to the bedrooms make the least amount of sense because between the window in the living room to the kitchen and garage layout, there’s no room for 4 more bedrooms and 2 bathrooms down that hallway.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2024 7:10 AM

The Victorian townhouse on “Full House” would be way too small to have that enormous living room and four bedrooms on the second floor PLUS a huge attic.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2024 7:16 AM

The “Married with Children” house didn’t make any sense either. The side entrance of the house would be exactly where the garage is.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2024 7:21 AM

“The Nanny” house changed after the pilot. The sitting area remained largely the same, but the staircase and front door moved from the left side of the set to the right. And the artist are became curved instead of straight.

The second staircase was the same one used in the short lived sitcom “The Powers That Be”.

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2024 7:23 AM

The Brady House had a guest bathroom in that alcove behind the stairs. It's seen in A Very Brady Christmas. I assume Mike and Carol's bedroom had an adjoining bathroom that we never saw.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2024 7:25 AM

The window in The Honeymooners apartment would have been looking into the hallway. They didn't have a bathroom either.

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2024 7:30 AM

The Simpsons house was evidently designed by M.C. Escher. I think that's probably one of the few shows that at least winks to the audience over its lack of continuity.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2024 12:39 PM

Also the Ricardo apartment had a lot of problems. No one ever explained the quantum physics involved in a building-length back porch off the kitchen that apparently doubled for the interior hallway to the front door. Not to mention that the building famously had an address that would have placed it halfway into the East River.

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2024 12:44 PM

R34 yeah I never got what tf that stairs/porch off the kitchen thing was.

Also in a couple of episodes the front of the building looks like a brownstone which was obviously not the case since there were too many apartments spaced out between each other (plus the aforementioned kitchen stairs back porch) to be a brownstone building.

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2024 7:01 PM

AL: Peg, why did we buy a house with only one bathroom?

PEG: Because all the houses in our price range were on fire.

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2024 7:44 PM

The whole ILL brownstone made no sense. In Season 2, we see Lucy & Ricky haul a television down the stairs to the Mertzes apartment, which was right at the foot of the stairs. Also in Season 2, the Ricardos switch apartments with the Bensons, making the Ricardos and Mertzes next door neighbors. But, in Season 4's "Lucy Cries Wolf," we see Lucy get mugged on a different set of stairs in the hallway. Are there two staircases on this floor?

Also in "Lucy Cries Wolf," Lucy climbs out onto the ledge, revealing what looks like a redbrick exterior and standard issue window. But in Season 6, when Superman shows up to Little Ricky's birthday party, Lucy again climbs out onto the ledge, but the whole brownstone seems to have a had a face-lift, revealing a beaux-art type of facade, with big block tiles and fancy window.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2024 7:57 PM

My husband is a Lucy expert (we’ve been to Jamestown with Carole Cook and Bob Osborne.).

It was referred to as a “converted brownstone” whatever that means.

Maybe Mrs Trumble’s apartment was carved out of an adjacent building.

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2024 8:02 PM

The One Day at a Time apartment made no sense. Barbara and Julie were sharing a bedroom, yet there's this huge, unused space behind the living room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2024 8:03 PM

The Mary Tyler Moore apartment, in relation to Rhoda's apartment, made no sense. Rhoda was always headed UPstairs to her turret-like apartment. Yet, in exterior shots, Mary's apartment is on the top floor and on the same level with the turret-looking space(s).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2024 8:05 PM

This is why I come to the DL. The level of intrigue, bitchery, and attention to detail. As my friend Tractor would say, “Good work, men.”

by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2024 8:16 PM

We saw the dining room in the Sugarbaker house when Julia made dinner for that brat Randa. But where was the dining room and kitchen located?

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2024 12:11 AM

Ann Romano’s apartment on One Day at a Time had that space behind the living room which was never used.

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2024 12:58 AM

Fawlty Towers.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2024 1:06 AM

The Married with Children house had the same layout as the All in the Family house.

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2024 1:10 AM

Seinfeld's apartment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2024 1:25 AM

R43, isn't that what R39 said?

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2024 1:31 AM

The character Thing’s on the 1960s “Adams Family” show. That little studio he lived in and used to pop out of on command, would’ve never been large enough to accommodate him fist-fucking Gomez.

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2024 1:53 AM

R48. The box, like its resident, was quite metaphysical, so it was both able to accommodate its hose and deliver a solid fist fuck.

You know Uncle Fester took advantage of his skills.

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2024 2:36 AM

Err…host! Not hose. ^^^

by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2024 2:38 AM

The house that had the staircase open upwards where a fire-breathing dragon lived. Can't remember if that was the Adams house or the Munsters, but either way it just seemed impractical at best...

by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2024 2:39 AM

^ That was the Munsters home. The Addams home had Thing.

by Anonymousreply 52July 28, 2024 2:41 AM

^ Go ahead and Oh, Dear me, denizens. I posted before proofing and adding the apostrophes.

by Anonymousreply 53July 28, 2024 2:42 AM

Collingwood Manor. It was a palatial castle-like structure, yet the foyer was about 12 by 12 and one rickety, creaky staircase leading to the rest of the mansion.

And yes, I realize Dark Shadows wasn't a sitcom (not intentionally anyway), but the OP's initial scope seemed unnecessarily limited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 28, 2024 2:43 AM

Ooops. Collinwood.

by Anonymousreply 55July 28, 2024 2:43 AM

Munsters with the dragon.

I never understood that oddity.

The character never achieved its full potential….not ever burning bewildered visitors or eating children…

by Anonymousreply 56July 28, 2024 2:44 AM

The Flinstones house which for some reason would always expand exponentially to how fast a character was running through it. It was like a fever dream for children.

by Anonymousreply 57July 28, 2024 2:47 AM

R1 😆 I love you for this comment. So fkin true.

by Anonymousreply 58July 28, 2024 3:10 AM

R20 what do you mean.

by Anonymousreply 59July 28, 2024 3:12 AM

[quote] The Golden Girls house and layout is bad.

[quote] The hallway to the bedrooms make the least amount of sense because between the window in the living room to the kitchen and garage layout, there’s no room for 4 more bedrooms and 2 bathrooms down that hallway.

I remember watching Golden Girls reruns with my aunt who had a comment about the hallway not having enough room for four bedrooms.

by Anonymousreply 60July 28, 2024 3:43 AM

R9 I think they did at least once.

by Anonymousreply 61July 28, 2024 3:46 AM

The Brady Bunch house didn't have a toilet. That was weird.

by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2024 3:49 AM

R13- The Brady Bunch house had three bathrooms. One for Mr. and Mrs. Brady one for the LESBIAN maid and yes the six kid shared one bathroom which was TOTALLY ABSURD considering they were affluent enough to have a live in maid.

by Anonymousreply 63July 28, 2024 3:49 AM

Alice slept in a utility closet and pissed in a mop bucket.

by Anonymousreply 64July 28, 2024 3:52 AM

I misread that sitcom hissing

by Anonymousreply 65July 28, 2024 4:10 AM

Lucy and Ricky’s bedroom in their second apartment had a weird bay type window that would’ve opened into the hallway.

I never could figure out the layout of Fred and Ethel’s apartment. The loving room had a door that sometimes led to the kitchen and sometimes led to their bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 66July 28, 2024 8:03 AM

R66 - Fred slept in the kitchen. The refrigerator was warmer than Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 67July 28, 2024 12:14 PM

R63 - Wasn't the Brady house just three bedrooms? Mike & Carol, and then one room each for the three same-sex siblings. Alice slept in the walk-in pantry. The shared bathroom was a Jack-and-Jill arrangement, and everyone knew the moment Jan became a woman.

by Anonymousreply 68July 28, 2024 12:16 PM

Regarding Ann Romano’s apartment-

That unused area behind the living room is where the other characters went to hide from that angry ginger muppet. Julie and Ann’s boyfriends would go there and shoot up in peace.

by Anonymousreply 69July 28, 2024 3:56 PM

The ugliest sitcom set was “One Day at a Time”. It was the height of tackiness.

by Anonymousreply 70July 28, 2024 4:03 PM

Will's apartment on Will & Grace. Sometimes the second bedroom door led to what would have been that alcove/TV room

by Anonymousreply 71July 28, 2024 4:37 PM

Why, you'd think people didn't actually live in these TV houses!

by Anonymousreply 72July 28, 2024 4:40 PM

As a kid (me), the Brady Bunch house was frustrating. Six kids crammed into two bedrooms.

It made sense that Alice had her own bedroom and bathroom.

However, Mike Brady had that nice, huge den. It wasn't like he worked from home.

Then, around the time the BB jumped the shark, it's revealed that there was room in the ATTIC for Greg to hang his beads and have his own "pad" away from Greg and Bobby.

Now, I get it: The 6 of them crammed into 2 bedrooms was part of the theme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 28, 2024 10:45 PM

R73. As a closeted husband of six crotch fruit, dude deserved his goon cave.

by Anonymousreply 74July 28, 2024 10:48 PM

Where did Cousin Oliver sleep?

by Anonymousreply 75July 28, 2024 10:49 PM

R75. you really have to ask?

by Anonymousreply 76July 28, 2024 10:50 PM

It's a good thing we kept Tiger's dog house!

by Anonymousreply 77July 28, 2024 10:52 PM

Why didn't Cousin Oliver get invited to the Brady reunions?

by Anonymousreply 78July 28, 2024 10:55 PM

[quote]As a kid (me), the Brady Bunch house was frustrating. Six kids crammed into two bedrooms.

It's actually not that uncommon, especially not back then. Look at the Jacksons... there were 9 kids crammed into 1 bedroom and a living room!

by Anonymousreply 79July 28, 2024 10:56 PM

And they turned out so normal!

by Anonymousreply 80July 28, 2024 10:57 PM

The house on Home Improvement never made sense to me, even when I watched the show as a child.

by Anonymousreply 81July 28, 2024 11:49 PM

Re: Bewitched moving closet. I think there were 2 closets. A coat.closet under the stairs and across from the front door, then a broom closet by the den - altho that one may have alternated from being across from the den door and in the kitchen. Aunt Clara popped in there a couple times.

by Anonymousreply 82July 29, 2024 12:00 AM

I thought Brenda’s apartment was weird on Rhoda. She had a twin bed in the middle of her living room but she also had a bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 83July 29, 2024 3:24 AM

[quote] Where did Cousin Oliver sleep?

In Tiger's empty doghouse.

by Anonymousreply 84July 29, 2024 3:28 AM

For those who may not know, the reason the BEWITCHED house changed their kitchen around for seasons 7 and 8 was because there was a fire on the set before Season 7 started filming. When they were ready to start filming season 7 in June, 1970, the set still wasn't ready - hence, the writers had to re-write the first few weeks of the series and send the family to Salem, MA. When they returned home, they had a whole new kitchen.

Gone was the Frigidaire Flair stove and oven she cooked on for the first 6 seasons, replaced by a Tappan gas model cooktop set on a peninsula. The wall where the original electric Frigidaire Flair was set against had been taken down, so they could build a 'breakfast room' overlooking the yard. The kitchen's broom closet was taken out to make room for a back staircase that led to the kitchen. However, the stairs we see were not really stairs, but a painting on the wall (no one ever goes up or down the stairs, we only see them on the bottom landing).

by Anonymousreply 85July 29, 2024 3:56 AM

R83 Brenda didn't have a bedroom. She had what's called a studio. An open space with a small bathroom and small closet. The 'kitchen' was just a counter against the wall, with an oven / sink / refrigerator. So she had her twin bed as soon as you walked in, and a small table in front of the kitchen counter. There was no bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 86July 29, 2024 4:06 AM

Brady House walk through!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 29, 2024 4:06 AM

Lucy's Country home!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 29, 2024 4:08 AM

This is clearly intentional, required and a metaphor of some kind about the television medium.

by Anonymousreply 89July 29, 2024 4:14 AM

It might have been a studio but it was set up like it had a bedroom. Brenda had a second twin bed along a wall with a dresser and a dressing table. There was a window between the bed and dresser. The area was partitioned off by a curtain so it was separated from the rest of the space. So it didn’t make sense that she had another twin bed cutting the rest of the space in half.

by Anonymousreply 90July 29, 2024 4:56 AM

Girls, you’re not supposed to care about this.

by Anonymousreply 91July 29, 2024 5:08 AM

The fire on the Bewitched set explains the trip to Salem, but it doesn't explain why, when rebuilding afterward, they changed things around so much. A different stove is easily explained with a single line of dialogue -but a new staircase??

by Anonymousreply 92July 29, 2024 6:01 AM

Bubba's room in Mama's family never made sense. It was way too small and it could never have housed his big bulge.

by Anonymousreply 93July 29, 2024 6:04 AM

I'm sure Bubba and his bulge were quite at home in tight places....

by Anonymousreply 94July 29, 2024 6:06 AM

Why did Vint and Naomi even bother moving out of the basement to live in a mobile home on the driveway? It wasn’t as if Thelma was itching to rent out the baement.

by Anonymousreply 95July 29, 2024 6:09 AM

Bubba needed the basement for his bulge, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 96July 29, 2024 6:19 AM

Tour the Bewitched home!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 29, 2024 7:34 PM

part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 29, 2024 7:35 PM

What makes no sense is how Judy Winslow when up the steps of her home in season 4 and was never heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 99July 29, 2024 7:38 PM

[Quote] Oddly people in Cosby's family just fell asleep, suddenly wherever they are.

as did the audience

by Anonymousreply 100July 29, 2024 7:43 PM

Mary and Rhoda's apartments!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 29, 2024 7:43 PM

The bulge that would not be housed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 29, 2024 8:07 PM

R100 stfu bitch. It was the number one show 5 years in a row.

by Anonymousreply 103July 29, 2024 8:53 PM

...And Teacake has entered the chat (at r103).

by Anonymousreply 104July 29, 2024 8:59 PM

If The Jeffersons were so prosperius couldn't they afford posher digs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 29, 2024 9:31 PM

That square footage in a high-rise in NYC is pretty damned posh, R105.

by Anonymousreply 106July 29, 2024 9:33 PM

How much do you think a three bedroom four bath with a terrace would cost in NYC today?

by Anonymousreply 107July 29, 2024 9:36 PM

R103 by, for and about idiots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 30, 2024 1:01 AM

"At the time, rent for the apartment was between $600 and $800 per month, but today, Barbara Corcoran, a New York real estate expert, estimates it would cost around $3,600 per month. In 2015, realtor.com estimated that a similar three-bedroom, two-bathroom condo in a luxury building in the area would cost $2.5 million."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 30, 2024 6:15 AM

How was George raking in that kind of dough from a couple of dry cleaning stores?

by Anonymousreply 110July 30, 2024 6:23 AM

^ He was laundering money, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 111July 30, 2024 11:29 AM

R34 R35

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 30, 2024 11:51 AM

Speaking of the Golden Girls House... let's not forget that sometimes they all share a bathroom and other times, at various points in the series, they've each had an en suite.

by Anonymousreply 113July 30, 2024 9:16 PM

I couldn't figure out where the guest house was on the Lawrence property on Family. Whenever they showed the back yard, there was never any guest house there. Unless they were showing the guest house, then there was no back yard visible.

by Anonymousreply 114August 1, 2024 12:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!