Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bette Midler Reveals Bette Davis Was ‘Not Pleased’ to Hear She Was Named After Her

Bette Midler had a bad run-in with Bette Davis.

On the July 24 episode of Hoda Kotb’s Making Space podcast, the three-time Grammy winner, 78, opened up about meeting the great Hollywood actress and telling her that she was named after her.

"My mother named me for Bette Davis, which Bette Davis was not pleased to hear,” Midler said on the podcast, noting that they met at Elizabeth Taylor’s 60th birthday party.

"I had just had my baby. And I was invited, and I was, like, so exhausted. And in those days, there was no hair and makeup,” the actress, who had her daughter in 1986, said. "You didn't know about hair and makeup. You just did your hair, and you put on a dress and went."

Midler recalled that Davis was "very offended" that she had attended the event without being glammed up. She added that the actress spent the entire evening chatting with Bob Dylan, who Midler collaborated with for a duet cover of "Buckets of Rain" on her 1976 album. "So, I can't imagine what he said to her," she shared.

"Anyway, so I was a little bit hurt," Midler said of the entire interaction.

The three-time Emmy winner went on to reveal that two of her siblings also have names inspired by actors. Her sisters Judy and Susan were respectfully named after Judy Garland and Susan Hayward.

"And I was Bette Davis. Although, I pronounced it 'bet' [and] she pronounced it 'Betty,' " she shared.

Later in the podcast, Kotb asked Midler if her mother lived long enough to see her rise to fame akin to her namesake. "She saw enough of it that it thrilled her. She saw the movie, she saw The Rose," Midler said. "And she died not long after that. She died actually during the making of, I think, Outrageous Fortune. Which was in the eighties. She got to see a lot of it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2024 7:04 AM

What's he talking about there was no makeup in those days? I don't understand makeup's not a new thing. Also is bad upset about the makeup or the name and if it was the name why because it was pronounced differently or what. Why even bring it up if you're not going to tell us what her problem with your name is.

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2024 3:39 PM

This sounds like when that Julie person from "Julie & Julia" met her idol Julia Child, and Julia Child hated her!

ROFL.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2024 3:40 PM

R1 are you posting from Moscow?

You need to use a better translator.

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2024 3:41 PM

Also was she a b**** to Dylan. She sounds like it given her comment about not knowing what he might have told Ms Davis.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2024 3:41 PM

And yet Bette has been known to be less than gracious to fans. Same with Patti “no pictures” LuPone.

They complain when they get shit on and then shit on others

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2024 3:42 PM

[quote]What's he talking about there was no makeup in those days? I don't understand makeup's not a new thing.

SHE means in those days (likely the '70s & '80s), when celebrities went to social events, they did their own hair & makeup (and wore the dressy clothes hanging in their closet or off the rack). Today, they hire h/m artists and stylists to polish their look. In Bette Davis' day, the studios provided their stars with h/m & wardrobe for big press events. So the implication here is that old-school Davis was appalled by Midler's unkempt appearance and likely wasn't amused that this raggedy thing was named after her.

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2024 4:05 PM

What the hell kind of conversation would Bob Dylan and Bette Davis have had? I can't even imagine.

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2024 4:45 PM

Oh, Bette, like you haven't been a bitch to numerous other people over the years.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2024 4:50 PM

[quote]"My mother named me for Bette Davis, which Bette Davis was not pleased to hear,” Midler said on the podcast, noting that they met at Elizabeth Taylor’s 60th birthday party.

Taylor turned 60 on Feb. 27, 1992.

Bette Davis died on Oct. 6, 1989.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2024 5:00 PM

It must have been at Taylor's 55th, because Carole Bayer Sager recounted the same story in her book. Bette had Sophie in late 86.

And yes, Davis was annoyed that Bette showed up unkempt.

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2024 5:03 PM

"gimme a light!"

r7?

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2024 5:09 PM

No hair and makeup in the 80s? Please.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2024 8:52 PM

she was coming off a boozer and didn't shave her pits either.

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2024 8:57 PM

Makes sense, both heavy smokers

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2024 9:09 PM

Bette hated her name pronounced “Bet”, so there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2024 9:31 PM

Bette Midler is one of the nastiest cunts in the biz. Team Davis.

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2024 9:31 PM

Fuck Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2024 9:37 PM

It can't have been at Elizabeth Taylors 60th birthday party because she turned 60 in 1992 and Bette Davis died in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2024 9:58 PM

The dementia must be getting worse. She can’t remember dates and has her stories all mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2024 10:08 PM

Can you blame her?? Bette was ALWAYS trashy

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2024 10:50 PM

r17 - Sit down, Faye.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2024 10:52 PM

Midler’s always a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2024 10:55 PM

WOW!

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2024 11:05 PM

Why did OP post a pic of Jamie Lee Curtis?

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2024 12:43 AM

[quote]It must have been at Taylor's 55th, because Carole Bayer Sager recounted the same story in her book.

Same story ? You mean Bette Davis was not happy to hear Carole Bayer Sager was named after her, too ?

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2024 1:09 AM

r25 is a twat. Bette would've put her cigarette out in his eye.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2024 1:14 AM

Bette Davis was a high riding cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2024 1:22 AM

I've never heard anyone in the industry say a good word about Midler. She's the comedic version of Faye Dunaway. Faye was another cunt that Davis loathed.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2024 1:35 AM

[quote] because Carole Bayer Sager

She's that one in the Columbia Record Club photos whose head was always reclining backwards.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2024 1:42 AM

Speaking of Carole Bayer Sager, she's been wearing the same K Mart wig for 40 years. It's really time to switch it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2024 1:46 AM

That’s the Joan collins wig. Joan has worn it for 70 years.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2024 1:56 AM

Carole Bayer Sager recounts the Bette meets Bette story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2024 2:34 AM

Methinks that Miss Davis would probably have been further offended by Miss Midler’s apparently gradual facial transition these days into Miss Jamie Lee Curtis, as well. 😉

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2024 2:52 AM

"Bette hated her name pronounced 'Bet', so there’s that."

I remember watching some movie or TV show when I was a kid in which a young, female character kept saying, "I just LOVE Bet Davis!" but I can't remember which movie / TV show it was. Pretty sure it was set in the Depression. THE WALTONS, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2024 3:11 AM

Bette on Bette frosting her out

5:28

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2024 6:49 AM

R1 Meryl Streep said the same thing. Actresses didn’t have glam squads. Meryl said she did her own styling and makeup and hair for her Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2024 6:58 AM

R35 She must have looked like shit if she made Bette Davis gasp like that.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2024 7:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!