Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who Had the Biggest Impact on the 20th Century?

Who do you think had the biggest on the 20th Century?

Comment why or anyone I've left out.

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2024 2:45 PM

Oppenheimer, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2024 3:02 AM

I also wanted to add:

Theodore Roosevelt

Vladmir Lenin

Margaret Thatcher

Nelson Mandela

Henry Ford

Bill Gates

Charlie Chaplin

Marie Curie

Muhammad Ali

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2024 3:02 AM

He WAS the person who has the biggest impact on the 20th century!

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2024 3:05 AM

He?

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2024 3:08 AM

Karl Marx

Yes, he lived in the 1800s. But his thoughts and how humans interpreted and acted out on them all played out in the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2024 3:10 AM

If it’s a negative impact, I would say Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2024 3:14 AM

Mahler?

It would be a very interesting world if that had been the case...

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2024 3:50 AM

Actor Eric Porter narrated The World at War: A Special Presentation which featured footage of Stalin and Churchill among others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2024 3:54 AM

Thomas Edison

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2024 3:58 AM

I don't see how Princess Di had any cultural effect on the century.

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2024 4:05 AM

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2024 4:11 AM

Very idiosyncratic list, and not even the courtesy of “other.”

Narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2024 4:12 AM

Alan Turing, the father of modern computing

From his breaking of the Enigma code, to his forming of the concepts of computer algorithms and computation, to his envisioning of A.I. and its future, the World War would not have been won, man would have not have gone into space, the moon, and beyond and none of the technology that almost invisibly surrounds us and makes our lives possible today would exist.

His personal story is less impactful, but remarkably illustrative of how far society has come since he, a war hero, was hounded and treated like a criminal for being gay, undergoing chemical castration rather than being sent to prison.

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2024 4:53 AM

Arnold Stang

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2024 4:55 AM

Richard Simmons

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2024 5:01 AM

How dare you leave Vivian Vance off!

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2024 2:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!