Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Johatsu in Japan

In Japan when people are tired of their life, overworked or in trouble and just want to disappear and start over it's called "johatsu" when they leave. There are companies called yonige-ya that you pay to help you go "johatsu". These companies help you cover your tracks so no one can find you and you can disappear without a trace. I think these yonige-ya should expand their services to the U.S.

Publicly taking your own life such as jumping off a building is frowned upon in Japan as your family will be charged for cleaning up the mess. If you jump in front of a train your family will be charged for clean-up AND disruption of service.

There is a forest near Mt. Fuji where people who don't want to leave their families with clean up fees go. Supposedly a mystical place where phones don't work and cries can't be heard. People's shoes and personal belongings can often be found at the entrance. Take off their shoes before they go into the forest to end it all, so polite even when ending it all.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2024 6:08 AM

Damn, I wish we had this in the US.

I'd start over for sure.

Someone, make it happen!

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2024 2:03 AM

I would love to do this for a few years, but eventually I'd want to come back.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2024 2:06 AM

Wait a minute--is it a place to disappear from your old life, or a place to off yourself?

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2024 2:18 AM

R3, The yonige-ya company is for disappearing and starting over.

The forest is for offing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2024 2:29 AM

Pfft!

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2024 4:35 AM

R4 - I like the first option, not the second. They also have tours of the forest at the bottom of Mt Fuji and say be very alert and careful to not get distracted or you could get easily confused and lost - never to be seen again! Haunted, confusing, suicide woods - Hell No! Fuji Highland Park - Yes! Mt Fuji forest - No!

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2024 4:48 AM

So, do people disappear within Japan or do they leave the country? Japan isn't that big; it's not like starting anew in America. You could run into your wife at the store after your mysterious disappearance.

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2024 6:06 AM

[quote] You could run into your wife at the store after your mysterious disappearance.

Lol.

Wife: "Honey, is that you? OMG, you're alive!"

Husband: "I'm sorry, do I know you?"

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2024 6:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!