Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Australian Olympics swimming coach under fire after saying he's pulling for South Korean

PARIS (AP) — An Australian swimming coach came under fire from his own team on Thursday after saying was pulling for a South Korean athlete to beat his country's medal contenders at the Olympics.

Head coach Rohan Taylor called the comments by Michael Palfrey “un-Australian” and said he might be sent home before the swimming competition, which begins Saturday at La Defense Arena in the western Paris suburbs.

“Very disappointed. Extremely disappointed,” Taylor said. “For a coach on our team to promote another athlete ahead of our athletes is not acceptable.”

Palfrey is part of the Australian staff at the Olympics, overseeing the preparations for three swimmers and working with a fourth athlete as well. But he previously coached South Korean men’s 400-meter freestyle world champion Kim Woo-min.

In an interview with South Korean television, Palfrey said he was pulling for Kim to claim gold in that event on the opening day of the swimming competition.

“I really hope he can win, but ultimately I really hope he swims well,” Palfrey said. He added, “Go Korea.”

Palfrey has conceded making the comment and apologized for the lapse in judgment, according to Taylor, but it may not be enough to keep him in Paris. The head coach said he would meet with the athletes later Thursday to discuss whether Palfrey should remain at the Olympics.

“For me, my priority is the performance of the team, the performance of the athletes,” Taylor said. “I need to look at the performance of the team and make a judgment call on that.”

Australia has two of the leading gold-medal contenders in the 400 freestyle: 2023 world champion Sam Short and 2022 world champion Elijah Winnington.

It's not unusual for coaches to work with athletes from other countries. One of the top American coaches, Bob Bowman, leads a training group that includes French star Léon Marchand.

But in an Olympic year, Taylor said, it was totally unacceptable for a coach on the Australian staff to express support for another country's swimmer.

“We confronted him with those details,” Taylor said. “He owns that and was taken to task for it. He's very remorseful and we're now dealing with it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 0July 26, 2024 1:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!