Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dexa scan questions

My PCP has referred me for a dexa scan. The scheduler I spoke with on the phone said something I found strange but I didn’t want to take up more time on the phone.

She said, “You need to commit to always having this scan done at the same location. Our other locations’ machines are calibrated differently. If you go to another location in two years, we won’t be able to compare your results.”

It’s not that important. But that seemed bizarre to me. Can any of DL’s medical mavens explain that?

Also, why did she say no dark leafy greens for at least three hours before the exam?

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2024 6:35 PM

Why was the scan ordered, OP?

I've done them before but on my volition to see if I was, in fact, a fat whore or not.

by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2024 6:20 PM

Why Consistency Matters for DEXA Scans

Your doctor wants you to get your DEXA scans at the same location for accurate and comparable results.

Here's why:

* Calibration: Different machines have different calibration standards. Getting scans at the same machine ensures consistent measurements.

* Image Quality: The quality of images can vary between machines, affecting the accuracy of bone density readings.

* Technique: Technicians at different locations might have slightly different scanning techniques, which can influence results.

* Software: The software used to analyze the scans can differ,impacting the interpretation of data.

By maintaining consistency in the location of your DEXA scans, your doctor can more reliably track changes in your bone density over time and make informed decisions about your treatment plan.

by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2024 6:20 PM

Why Avoid Dark Leafy Greens Before a DEXA Scan?

Dark leafy greens can interfere with the accuracy of a DEXA scan.

While the exact reason might vary depending on the specific type of DEXA scan, here are some potential explanations:

* Calcium content: Dark leafy greens are rich in calcium, a mineral that is naturally present in bones. This can potentially affect the DEXA scan's ability to accurately measure bone density.

* Tissue density: Some components of dark leafy greens might interfere with the way the DEXA scan measures tissue density, leading to inaccurate results.

By avoiding dark leafy greens for a specific period before the scan, your doctor ensures that the results are as precise as possible. If you have any further questions about your DEXA scan or dietary restrictions, it's always best to consult with your doctor.

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2024 6:21 PM

Shouldn't the medical community be expected to agree to a standard for equipment calibration and scanning techniques? I wouldn't appreciate having potentially serious data about my health being affected by market competition. God forbid you have your test done on the equivalent of Betamax home video.

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2024 6:32 PM

R1, I think it was just down to my age. (I’m 67.) I’ll double check with the doc on his reasons for ordering the scan when the results come.

I am a whore. Not a fat one. But still.

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2024 6:33 PM

That was my reaction, R4. What made it seem weirder to me is we weren’t talking about competing clinics - just other branches of the same clinic. Weird, no?

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2024 6:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!