Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Reagan had dementia

But it wasn't treated as a big deal by the press, because by then the right had a monopoly on news.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2024 3:51 AM

Wifey was a cock sucker, literally

by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2024 5:27 AM

The cocksucker was running the country when she wasn’t blowing Frank Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2024 5:28 AM

Nancy totally controlled him, before and after the dementia.

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2024 5:30 AM

Moron OP has never heard of media like the NYT, WaPo, The Nation, Mother Jones etc. America is suffering from a stupidity problem.

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2024 5:45 AM

They may have mentioned it (after it was admitted) but there was not this drumbeat.

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2024 8:34 AM

But it was known. But no one questioned the patriarchy then.

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2024 9:04 AM

It was ADORABLE that he napped, according to 1980s media.. With Biden, being tired was a crime against humanity.

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2024 9:15 AM

Rupert took advantage of him and covered for him.

by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2024 1:08 PM

No OP it was big news and the right wing did not have control of the press. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2024 1:45 PM

Not only did we not have the internet then, to fuel negative press, but if I’m not mistaken, he was already in his second term when his mental decline was becoming apparent.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2024 7:32 PM

It was treated as a big deal, OP. It was even a punchline with SNL and Spitting Image had his brain bouncing away down the White House corridor.

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2024 8:22 PM

Reagan is the reason Americans don’t want old people running for president. Biden is even older than Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2024 8:23 PM

Yes, R10, but you didn't hear calls to invoke the 25th Amendment like we're hearing now for Biden. And Biden is much more on the ball than Ronnie was in his last 2 years in office.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2024 9:32 PM

25th Amendment? I'd have cut a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2024 9:34 PM

Because we didn't have the internet we didn't know how bad Reagan was because the press protected the president. The press notoriously protected the presidents about their extra-marital affairs.

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2024 9:39 PM

[quote][B]y then the right had a monopoly on news.

Not even remotely true. In the '80s the news was still "tell it like it is," not partisan. The tabloidization of the news started in the early-mid '90s, both with the Clintons to some degree but particularly O.J. Instead of Ronan Farrow breaking news in The New Yorker, these "tawdry" topics were initially only aired on "A Current Affair" or other trashy gossip show. Fox News didn't debut until the middle of the Clinton years, long after Reagan's presidency.

What first changed things was the advent of cable TV, but what really upended everything was the internet. As a stark example of how much times have changed, note that Reagan won EVERY FUCKING STATE in his '84 reelection bid, aside from Mondale's Minnesota. While I'm assuming nearly all gay men at the time knew about his appalling inaction towards AIDS, the general public was entirely clueless: these stories were literally almost never told by the media back then. The public could accept Ryan White, a kid who contracted HIV from a blood transfusion, but not gay men or IV drug users who got it from a "vice."

Still, the news was at worst uncritical, not "controlled by the right."

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2024 9:51 PM

Here's Reagan in 1984 as the incumbent debating Mondale. Reagan was 74 at the time and seems far more alert than the 81 year old Biden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2024 9:54 PM

... and Biden did not.

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2024 10:25 PM

Here's Biden reading from a teleprompter and demonstrating why he wouldn't have been able to preside for the next 4 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2024 10:30 PM

R17, Reagan didn't start showing obvious signs of dementia until after he was reelected. Biden was fine at 77, so it's no surprise that Reagan was at 74. It seems like 80 is roughly the age when politicians start losing it (see also Moscow Mitch & Susan "I'm a dumb twat so I'm voting for Nikki Haley" Collins - and at this point I'm surprised Pelosi's still holding it together).

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2024 11:08 PM

That's not true. Remember he was an actor trained to read speeches. He didn't have to think, and he didn't/

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2024 2:15 AM

Reagan made any number of gaffes like that R20

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2024 1:13 AM

R22 Did Reagan look for dead people in the crowd? 🤡🤡🤡

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2024 2:23 AM

Reagan NPR joke 1984 "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

That one caused a military alert in the North Pacific.

Reagan 1982 joke "As he prepared to announce his cancellation of Poland's most favored nation status (in retaliation for suppression of the Polish trade union Solidarity), Reagan called the military government "a bunch of no-good, lousy bums.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2024 4:47 AM

Big deal, Nancy had the clap, genital warts, and a prolapsed anus by the end of his presidency. The old girl left Washington DC more inflamed that when the British burned it down.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2024 5:14 AM

His stories are not particularly funny but he still seems 'sharp as a tack'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2024 5:15 AM

[Quote]Reagan NPR joke 1984 "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

[Quote] That one caused a military alert in the North Pacific.

"We begin bombing in five minutes" is the last sentence of a controversial, off-the-record joke made by U.S. President Ronald Reagan in 1984, during the Cold War. While preparing for a scheduled radio address from his vacation home in California, Reagan joked with those present about outlawing and bombing Russia. The joke was not broadcast live, but was recorded and later leaked to the public. The Soviet Union criticized the joke, as did Reagan's opponent in the 1984 United States presidential election, Walter Mondale.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2024 5:38 AM

It did more than that. It caused a Soviet to claim they were starting military operations in the north pacific, which put Japan and Korea on high alert.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2024 5:47 AM

It may have ledc to the shooting down of a Korean airliner.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2024 5:47 AM

R29, I believe you're correct.

Scroll down to "Shoot-down"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2024 6:03 AM

[quote] While I'm assuming nearly all gay men at the time knew about his appalling inaction towards AIDS, the general public was entirely clueless: these stories were literally almost never told by the media back then.

That's not how I remember it.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2024 6:06 AM

It was a joke, and the off the record comment was leaked. It had nothing to do with dementia.

By August 14, the recording of Reagan's joke had become world news. On August 15, someone, whom the National Security Agency described to U.S. Representative Michael D. Barnes as "a wayward operator in the Soviet Far Eastern command", sent a coded message from Vladivostok that said, in part, "We now embark on military action against the U.S. forces." Japanese and U.S. intelligence decoded the message and raised the alert state in that part of the world; Soviet naval vessels in the North Pacific contacted Vladivostok in confusion. The U.S. never saw any evidence of Soviet attack preparations, and the alert status as promulgated by Vladivostok was canceled within 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2024 6:07 AM

Reagan used to make a weekly radio address. It was before one of these, from his home in California, that it was recorded and later leaked.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2024 6:22 AM

R32 dementia lowers inhibitions.

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2024 4:32 PM

dementia causes imbalance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2024 5:53 PM

dementia causes confusion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2024 5:56 PM

dementia caused Biden to drop out of the race. Reagan in 1984 as the incumbent running for President was far more articulate, alert and able to talk extemporaneously then Biden was in 2024.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2024 6:15 PM

PSA for OP & Socks:

Biden has withdrawn his candidacy. It's over. There is no justifiable reason to keep fucking this chicken.

The Democratic candidate is Kamala Harris now.

Just thought you should know.

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2024 7:12 PM

R38 the topic of this thread is about Reagan having dementia. He's dead and his presidency was over 30 years ago. Biden is still the POTUS

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2024 7:51 PM

His last speech was in favor of immigration. Today's Republicans party is not Reagan's Republican party

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2024 1:38 AM

In many ways it is, R40. Reagan was the one who ushered in the Christian White Nationalist influence in the GOP when he embraced Jerry Falwell and the so-called Moral Majority.

Now that group had taken control of the party.

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2024 6:28 PM

[quote]R39: the topic of this thread is about Reagan having dementia. He's dead and his presidency was over 30 years ago. Biden is still the POTUS

No, babe. The discussion of Reagan is intended as commentary / compare/contrast on Biden, who is the actual subject in view. See R7, R12, R13, R17, R18, R19, R20, R23, R35, R36, and R37.

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2024 6:40 PM

Bless your heart R42 but no one elected you hall monitor. Just thought you should know.

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2024 7:18 PM

You're not hall monitor either, R43.

Just clarifying the situation.

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2024 8:03 PM

Reagan was such a tool.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2024 8:11 PM

but what a tool R45!

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2024 9:42 PM

[Quote] The discussion of Reagan is intended as commentary / compare/contrast on Biden, who is the actual subject in view. See [R7], [R12], [R13], [R17], [R18], [R19], [R20], [R23], [R35], [R36], and [R37]

[Quote] You're not hall monitor either

[Quote] Just clarifying the situation.

Oh, you sweet summer child! Have you already forgotten what the topic is R42?

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2024 10:15 PM

The "sweet summer child" troll needs to be set on fire.

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2024 10:23 PM

I meant r42, not r47

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2024 10:24 PM

Apparently I live in your mind rent-free, R48/R49. You and your socks have pursued me from thread to thread for over two years, and have become even more desperate after the Bootsie-Gumdrop primary account was redlined.

Your posting history reveals your sad obsession with me.

by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2024 2:49 AM

^^keep on fucking that chicken.

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2024 2:52 AM

You're not very original, R51. You keep repeating back to me things that I've said to posters you've insisted aren't your socks.

by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2024 3:36 AM

The socks are coming from under your bed! Paranoid freak.

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2024 3:39 AM

Mmm-hmm.

I was addressing somebody else at R38, and now you're here, R53, expressing rage at me on behalf of other accounts.

You're the account they resort to when they want to make it personal.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2024 3:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!