Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Behind the Scenes of President Biden's Speech to the Nation

President Biden spoke to the nation in a primetime address from the Oval Office tonight, three days after dropping his reelection bid and endorsing Vice President Kamala Harris as his replacement to take on former President Donald Trump this fall.

Biden explained his decision to drop out of the 2024 race, telling the American people that the "defense of democracy is more important than any title."

“I have decided the best way forward is to pass the torch to a new generation," Biden said. "That is the best way to unite our nation."

“Over the next six months I will be focused on doing my job as President," he said, confirming that he plans to remain in office through the end of his term. "That means I will continue to lower costs for hard-working families and grow our economy. I will keep defending our personal freedoms and our civil rights — from the right to vote to the right to choose.”

Following his address to the nation, President Biden spoke to hundreds of White House staffers who had gathered in the Rose Garden to watch his speech.

NBC's Peter Alexander posted a photo of smiling Biden on X.

According to Linda Feldmann, Washington bureau chief for the Christian Science Monitor and the designated White House pool reporter, President Biden's family was inside the Oval Office during his address. Seated along the curved oval wall of the office were Jill Biden, Hunter Biden, his daughter Finnegan Biden, Ashley Biden and her husband, Howard Krein, Naomi Biden Neal and her husband, Peter Neal.

From the pool report:

From inside the Oval, POTUS’ voice was very soft as he addressed the nation. Your pooler stood at the back of the room and had to listen intently to hear him. At times he was barely audible, and then would get a bit louder.

Toward the end of remarks, Ashley Biden reached for the hand of her mother, Jill Biden, who was seated next to her.

Standing in the back were Karine Jean-Pierre, Annie Tomasini, and other White House staff including a large TV production crew.

The president's remarks ended at 8:12 and the assembled family and staff broke into applause. Jill Biden then walked to the Resolute Desk and stood next to her husband. "This has been the honor of a lifetime," POTUS said, followed by other words of gratitude which were almost impossible to hear. Your pooler was ushered out as POTUS spoke, and then there was more applause as he apparently finished speaking.

After a campaign rally in Charlotte, N.C., Donald Trump watched President Biden's address to the nation.

New York Times photographer Doug Mills, who captured a photo of what appeared to be a bullet during the attempted assassination of Trump earlier this month, snapped a photo of the former president watching Biden from his plane.

First lady Jill Biden posted a quick response to President Biden's speech on X.

"To those who never wavered, to those who refused to doubt, to those who always believed, my heart is full of gratitude," she wrote. "Thank you for the trust you put in Joe — now it’s time to put that trust in Kamala. Love, Jill."

In his Oval Office address explaining his decision to drop out of the race, President Biden acknowledged that it was time "pass the torch to a new generation."

"Nothing, nothing, can come in the way of saving our democracy," he said in a 10-minute speech. "That includes personal ambition."

"I draw strength, and find joy, in working for the American people," Biden said. "But this sacred task of perfecting our union is not about me. It’s about you. Your families. Your futures. It’s about ‘We the People.’”

Biden said he plans to finish out his term by working on several initiatives, including reforms to the Supreme Court.

He did not mention former President Donald Trump by name, but made veiled references to what he sees as the danger of a possible second Trump term.

“The great thing about America is here, kings and dictators do not rule," Biden said. "The people do. History is in your hands. The power is in your hands. The idea of America lies in your hands.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2024 1:21 AM

Ice Cream for everyone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2024 2:27 AM

Even Trump watched the speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2024 2:28 AM

Jill Biden's letter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2024 2:29 AM

[quote] Seated along the curved oval wall of the office were Jill Biden, Hunter Biden,[bold] his daughter Finnegan Biden[/bold]…

Whose idea was the name Finnegan for her??

Why not… Murphy? I mean, equally pretty - -

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2024 2:34 AM

[quote] Whose idea was the name Finnegan for her??

Probably Hunter's idea.

That's his daughter, and he wanted an Irish name for her.

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2024 2:36 AM

I shed a tear at the end. Call me a Mary if you want - Joe is a good man who put his country first. The orange excrement would never be able to do that.

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2024 2:38 AM

We all know Melania is going to paraphrase Jill Biden's note somehow.

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2024 2:40 AM

I wish I could have attended the ice cream party in the Rose Garden.

It sounds lovely!

The President's staff had four good years in the White House.

Lucky them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2024 2:42 AM

Trump keeps having rallies in places he already has in the bag. Rather wasteful. He's going for applause instead of votes.

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2024 2:43 AM

Still seeking daddy's approval, r9.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2024 2:59 AM

[quote]Joe is a good man who put his country first. The orange excrement would never be able to do that.

100% agree R6.

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2024 3:01 AM

[quote] Ice Cream for everyone!

Champagne for Lulu!

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2024 6:23 AM

Who's Lulu, R12?

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2024 7:19 AM

Time to give up your gay card, R13!

Lulu is a British singer who started in the 60s with the international hit "To Sir, With Love." She has appeared in films and on the stage, on television, and concerts from then to the present day. She sang the theme song for the Bond film "The Man With the Golden Gun." She had a recurring gig on Absolutely Fabulous (where R12's wonderful quote came from).

Lulu is an icon. Who are you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2024 6:25 PM

R9, and that’s why he’s gonna lose.

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2024 7:18 PM

[quote]r14 Lulu is a British singer who started in the 60s with the international hit "To Sir, With Love."

But why would she be in a thread about the American president?

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2024 7:21 PM

Interesting, R6, Jill's handwriting has a serious upstroke just like mine; it resisted any attempts by my teachers or me to correct it.

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2024 7:49 PM

^^R3, not R6!^^

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2024 7:50 PM

I just found this video of Joe Biden comforting Meghan McCain on The View.

He's such a good and decent man. He was good for our country.

I'm sad that he's going out the way he's going out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2024 10:36 AM

He's going out a patriot, putting country ahead of ego. History will be very kind to him, as opposed to if he had stayed in and lost in a landslide, ending democracy.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2024 9:56 PM

First draft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 28, 2024 1:20 AM

R21, that has been posted so much. Get new material.

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2024 1:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!