Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Canterville Ghost

Which film version of the Oscar Wilde is your favorite? 1944? 1986? 1996?

I’m actually partial to the 1996 film as Patrick Stewart is the perfect embodiment of scares yet endearment. The 1986 version is too silly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2024 8:56 AM

How can you top Charles Laughton AND Margaret O’Brien in the same movie?

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 11:15 PM

Please. There are no tops on Datalounge, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2024 12:39 AM

OP, I like the Patrick Stewart version, but my favorite is the 1998 one with Ian Richardson (the original Francis Urquhart on 'House of Cards'). It also stars Celia Imrie and Sir Donald Sinden. Cameos by Pauline Quirke and Ian McNiece.

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2024 6:54 AM

R3 I haven’t seen that one and must check it out!

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2024 2:55 PM

I have a dim memory of a version I saw on television in the mid-1970s, the first adaptation of the story to which I'd ever been exposed. It has been my long-lost favorite. Over the years I've looked for it, and it never turned up, 'till now. I'm pretty sure this is the one, made for television in the UK in 1975, starring David Niven; how I came to see it on television in the US, I've no idea, unless PBS once aired it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2024 7:55 PM

There was also a musical version, from the ABC STAGE '67 TV series, starring Michael Redgrave and Peter Noone, with a score by Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock (of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF fame).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2024 8:03 PM

There is also the ABC STAGE '67 musical version, with Michael Redgrave and Peter Noone, songs by FIDDLER ON THE ROOF's Bock & Harnick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2024 8:05 PM

They did a new mini-series version which has been airing on PBS this summer with Anthony Head as the Ghost, but I don't think it's very good.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2024 6:47 AM

Why no black versions?

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2024 8:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!