Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Russian chef arrested in Paris over alleged ‘large scale’ Olympic Games plot

A Russian chef who has lived in France for 14 years has been arrested on suspicion of plotting with a foreign power to stage “large scale” acts of “destabilisation” during the Olympic Games in Paris.

The 40-year-old man was arrested during a raid of his apartment in central Paris on Sunday where a document linked to an elite Russian special forces unit operating under the command of the FSB, an heir to the KGB, was reportedly found.

A judicial investigation has been opened into allegations of sharing “intelligence with a foreign power with a view to provoking hostilities in France,” a crime punishable by 30 years of imprisonment. The alleged plot is not believed to have been terror related.

The Olympic rings in Paris. Russian and Belarusian Olympic athletes accused of supporting war in Ukraine Read more The man, who has not been named, was indicted on this charge on the same day and placed in pretrial detention.

An ambitious opening ceremony of Paris 2024 will be staged on the banks of the Seine on Friday evening and there has long been concern that Russia could seek to meddle in events.

Gerald Darmanin, France’s interior minister, said that “other Russian individuals” had been arrested amid evidence at attempts to spread disinformation ahead of the Games.

“We think very strongly that he was going to organise operations of destabilisation, interference, spying,” Darmanin told BFM television. “He’s now in the justice system which will be able to confirm the suspicions of the police.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2024 8:44 AM

Not to be trusted

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 9:57 PM

Probably a shitty agent to get burned like this.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2024 10:29 PM

I poot somesing spesh-ool in tea.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2024 10:32 PM

LEAVE RAFA ALONE!

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 10:45 PM

14 years? What's he been doing in the meantime? Not just prepping mire poix, l'll wager.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 11:00 PM

More information on the guy. He totally looks like a cliche Russian villain (and he is a serious drunk, living up to another stereotype). What exactly was he planning, I wonder? Was he going to poison everyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2024 3:00 PM

Soft butch sous chef.

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2024 3:34 PM

When your job as a foreign agent gets in the way of your alcoholism

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2024 3:53 PM

Any open spots for a chef at Mar-A-Lago? I can also help Rudy with some lawyerin'

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2024 3:57 PM

Yeah, bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2024 4:03 PM

Let's see....

Someone could have posted a link to a LONG ASS ARTICLE, as R6 did, where you have to dig and dig and scroll and scroll JUST to find this guy's photo.

OR....

R6 could have made it easy for everyone, and just posted a DIRECT LINK to his goddamned photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2024 4:45 PM

I wanted people to read the entire article. And he is pictured in the thumbnail, albeit not looking nearly as sinister as in the other photo.

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2024 5:32 PM

He looks exactly as I expected he would.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2024 5:46 PM

The French must absolutely be laughing over the concept of a "Russian chef!"

What does being a Russian chef involve?

Three potatoes instead of two? A larger portion of vodka? What a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2024 8:39 AM

In Russia, chef cooks YOU!

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2024 8:41 AM

I must say, visiting Paris without the hordes of Russians these past few years has been wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2024 8:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!