Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends...behold Burt Reynolds' cabin in the woods of NC

Gorgeous views...a lot of wood on the interior.

I kind of like it, even the built in couch surrounding the fireplace.

What does DL think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 26, 2024 6:08 PM

You can tell it was built in the 70s.

I like the first bedroom for its view, the decks and their views and the outdoor hot tub. I don’t get the right vibe from it for me-too much wood and too busy. It’s probably better in person.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 6:54 PM

The grotto shower is… interesting?

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2024 6:56 PM

Who gets this after he dies, does he have any crotchfruit?

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2024 6:56 PM

Too "kooky" for me.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 6:56 PM

It would be a goner in a forest fire. Still, I’d like a “Loni sat here” memento.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 6:57 PM

He’s dead, R3.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2024 7:00 PM

Stunning views and very interesting design choices.

Wouldn't be for me to own or buy, but I'd love to spend a weekend there with a few friends.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2024 7:00 PM

A LOT of WOOD - not the fun kind. I would pass but take if it was given to me.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2024 7:02 PM

Wow. It’s fascinating. So many interesting design choices.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2024 7:07 PM

I could’ve spent time there with Burt Reynolds in the 1970s, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2024 7:07 PM

Is there where he would hide away from Loni while he pounded the shit out of Lee Major's ass???

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2024 7:08 PM

It’s not my style. I don’t like the color brown, and sometimes when you pile a lot of wood and rock together it can look grimy.

Sally Field wrote that Burt Reynolds was quite cheap: it was very important to him that they split every single last bill, even though he made much more money than she did.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2024 7:19 PM

We absolutely love it.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2024 7:23 PM

Other than the views...

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2024 7:25 PM

There’s also something kind of prissy about it. I’d rather something be truly rustic than Hobbit Lite.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2024 7:34 PM

Yeah, what's up with those frilly lamp shades? So out of place for a "masculine" house.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2024 7:38 PM

What’s with all the Southwestern/Mexican tchotchkes?

Other than the dated bathtub (and the lack of air conditioning? Two fans in the bedroom?) I like how masculine it is. I wouldn’t want my holiday cabin to look ordinary:

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2024 7:40 PM

Sold on 7/24/24.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2024 7:44 PM

It has good 70's organic one of a kind vibes, would be great for a Air BNB or fun vacation home. Just don't like all the clutter and knickknacks and odd furniture choices. I also like the masculine lines to the structure.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2024 7:46 PM

I find it beautiful and once the interiors are cleared of all the gaudy 70s furniture and catalogue trinkets that clutter every single corner, I am sure that it will be a spectacular home. Still, is this the decoration that the house had while Burt Reynolds was alive? He died in 2018 and by that time, he'd sold most of his properties in order to cover his debts, so in all likelihood all of the tackiness belongs to someone else (not that Mr. Reynolds was ever known for having good taste).

By the way, R11, I had NEVER heard about him and Lee Majors having any dalliances. Where have you heard that? I know that Lee Majors got a leg up in show business thanks to his "friendship" with Rock Hudson, but I'd never heard any gay rumours about Burt Reynolds being gay. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2024 7:53 PM

The ceilings seem extremely low.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2024 8:39 PM

[quote]I'd never heard any gay rumours about Burt Reynolds being gay. Interesting

Back in the Cannonball Run days my partner joked about Bert's close friendship with Dom Deluise. Dom was married with 3 strapping boys but was caught out in the National Enquirer for groping the bellhop.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2024 8:45 PM

Weren't the Deluise sons kind of hot, IIRC?

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2024 8:49 PM

Burt was also friends with Jim Nabors.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2024 8:53 PM

I like wood interiors but this place is excessive even for me. And a built-in couch? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2024 8:54 PM

DL was on the case in 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2024 9:09 PM

It looks faggy.

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2024 9:24 PM

It’s a tear-down for me, dawg.

Great site.

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2024 9:28 PM

I am surprised at how pleasant it is inside. Yes, totally cluttered. The setting and view are spectacular. North Carolina has some beautiful spots - hot and humid in the summer.

I can see it being rented out as a vacation rental to a large family.

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2024 9:29 PM

I like everything about it except for the wooden ceilings.

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2024 9:31 PM

I love it. The first thing I would do though would be to rip out the built in couch. A really bad use of space.

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2024 9:35 PM

Yeah the wooden ceilings looked cheap.

by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2024 9:42 PM

R20, wait… you had no idea about Burt Reynolds? Really?

Hope no one disappoints you when you hear about John Wayne, & all the other actors who played cowboys.

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2024 3:04 AM

The exterior is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2024 3:09 AM

[quote]while he pounded the shit out of Lee Major's ass???

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2024 3:09 AM

It looks like it's "Deliverance"-adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2024 3:09 AM

The setting looks wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2024 3:16 AM

R5, it’s unlikely that this area of the Appalachians will ever have a serious forest fire barring in an extreme and historic drought. The average annual rainfall is 90 inches and is technically a rainforest.

R29, because of elevation and the surrounding mountains, Highlands is much cooler and less humid than much of the South. It has never gotten above 98F and the average daytime high in the hottest month is 78F.

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2024 3:38 AM

Am I missing something? How do we know this was Burt Reynolds' home?

by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2024 12:00 PM

Because I originally saw this story on the Daily Mail, r39, who said it belonged to Burt Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2024 1:40 PM

The doorbell is a pig squeal.

by Anonymousreply 41July 25, 2024 2:09 PM

Burt was a classic example of someone who came up poor, and ended up with zero self control where money was concerned once he made some.

I remember when he bought this house outside Loganville, Ga. (way out in the country), basically on a lark. He said it reminded him a Tara, so of course he had to have it.

Of course, we all know what his poor money management skills ended up doing to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 25, 2024 2:22 PM

Oh, and if I remember correctly he either lost that big house to foreclosure, or came damn close to it before selling it for a loss.

by Anonymousreply 43July 25, 2024 2:23 PM

[quote]Sally Field wrote that Burt Reynolds was quite cheap: it was very important to him that they split every single last bill, even though he made much more money than she did.

Loni Anderson also complained of it in her memoir. She and Reynolds continued fighting about money and dragging each other to court up until his death.

[quote]Am I missing something? How do we know this was Burt Reynolds' home?

Besides what OP said about media coverage, the listing states: "The property's storied history includes notable owners such as Burt Reynolds and his then-wife, Loni Anderson. While filming the Academy Award-nominated movie 'Deliverance' in nearby Rabun County in 1972, Reynolds fell in love with this area and the home, prompting its purchase and subsequent enhancements. In a letter dated December 23, 1983, Reynolds expressed his admiration for the property, stating, 'I own about fourteen houses. Whenever I am asked which one is my favorite, without a moment's hesitation I always say my house in the mountains.'"

by Anonymousreply 44July 25, 2024 2:45 PM

[quote] It looks like it's "Deliverance"-adjacent.

Burt had it built in 1972, while he was in North Carolina filming Deliverance.

by Anonymousreply 45July 25, 2024 3:44 PM

Nice views, but narrow hallways and too much wood. Too many windows of different sizes--they probably all need replacement by now, which isn't cheap.

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2024 3:50 PM

I read that Loni Anderson attempted to bleed him dry financially while they were married, and continued in her quest after they divorced. She apparently had/has a reputation as a spendaholic herself.

What it all boils down to is that Burt was simply a dumbass. It's well known he enjoyed the love that dare not speak its name, and only married females for the convenience. He should have stuck to cock and a nice feygele would have taught him how to manage his money better.

by Anonymousreply 47July 25, 2024 6:14 PM

Beautiful location and views - I could happily live there. I'd lose the twig chandelier, but I like a lot of the design. What's the point of that roof shape?

by Anonymousreply 48July 25, 2024 6:33 PM

I don’t know if Burt liked sex with men but he certainly didn’t shy away from friendships with glass closeted men. Not only was he friends with Jim Nabors, one of his best friends was Charles Nelson Reilly. Usually closeted, straight-acting men try to stay as far away from public friendships with obviously gay guys so I’m leaning towards the direction of him being one of those types who just love being worshipped, no matter the gender it comes from.

by Anonymousreply 49July 25, 2024 6:41 PM

R17. The elevation of Highlands is close to 4,000 ft. Ceiling fans are all you need.

by Anonymousreply 50July 25, 2024 6:58 PM

I really like place. Really intriguing design and layout.

I could do without much of the furniture. Much of it is too kitschy or too hillbilly. But some pieces I really like.

But with all those steps, it's also clearly not a place to grow (too) old in.

by Anonymousreply 51July 25, 2024 10:56 PM

I've been to Asheville. You need a/c.

by Anonymousreply 52July 25, 2024 11:06 PM

in a valley...umm...

by Anonymousreply 53July 25, 2024 11:12 PM

Its "unique".

by Anonymousreply 54July 26, 2024 12:18 AM

Wood you like to live in that house?

No I wood knot.

by Anonymousreply 55July 26, 2024 12:29 AM

I can feel the mosquitos biting me now.

by Anonymousreply 56July 26, 2024 12:55 AM

I love couches!

by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2024 3:21 AM

[quote] Not only was he friends with Jim Nabors, one of his best friends was Charles Nelson Reilly.

Don't forget his best friend of all, Dom DeLuise. Dom may have been married, but a blind man could have looked at him and his wife and tell it was a fag & dyke marriage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2024 3:41 PM

This was Burt’s love nest where he snuggled up with Don DeLuise.

by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2024 4:00 PM

*Dom

by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2024 4:01 PM

I was told a long time ago that if you look at many of Burt's back in the 80s he always seemed to have the same crew of hot male actors in supporting roles. Those were all his fuck buddies. One of his top fuck buddies was his pal Hal Needham, stunt man/director.

Take a look at this shot of Needham and you can see what Burt saw in him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 26, 2024 6:03 PM

^^^ " you look at many of Burt's movies"

by Anonymousreply 62July 26, 2024 6:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!