Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is it so hard to find a good dentist?

My dentist from 20 years ago botched a root canal that left me with a huge hole in my far bottom left tooth.

Every time I get food in there, it hurts like hell, and chewing hurts too. Which is weird, because if the root was actually taken out, then I shouldn't be feeling pain!

I've gone to at least five different dentists since then, but none of them have been able to fix the problem, and they don't really seem to care much either. All they care about is billing and insurance.

I hate this!

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2024 9:34 PM

In my case, it's because all the good dentists won't take my normal insurance anymore. The only ones who do are sketchy foreigners who appear to be 12 years old, and/or two babies in a trenchcoat.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 5:41 PM

I LOVE my dentist. If anyone in Portland is looking for a recommendation let me know. He's the best health care professional I've ever had in any field. A warm, kind perfectionist, his whole practice feels like a family, it's very nice. I found him after I fled a traumatic horror show of a dentist, to my enormous relief

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2024 5:42 PM

[quote] I fled a traumatic horror show of a dentist, to my enormous relief

One of the dentists I went to was obviously abusing drugs (probably prescribed to himself).

I can't even describe the fear I felt when this guy was working on me.

Imagine a crack addict about to drill inside your mouth, and that's what it was like.

I never reported him, but it was terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2024 5:46 PM

I love both my periodontist and prosthodontist (especially the latter). Neither take insurance, though, and I have to pay out of pocket. That said, they are both completely worth it and I've been with both for decades.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 5:50 PM

R2 thinks there's only one Portland in America.

But of course that is what identifies precisely where she is.

How nice for her.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 5:52 PM

OP, your case makes no sense.

If a crown is not possible, some sort of amalgam stuffed into your "far left bottom tooth" hole (It's called "the second molar, bottom left, although "molar" would have been sufficient to describe the chew pattern/food packing that causes pain) would seem to be a normal thing to do.

Of course, with you it could be your third molar ("wisdom tooth"), since you seem to be posting from India.

Or have the disgusting, rotten thing cut out of your head.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2024 5:58 PM

I have a good dentist but I still think they are all mainly about billing & insurance. They want you to keep having multiple cleanings and procedures even if you don't need them.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2024 5:58 PM

The cap came off, R6.

And none of the dentists I've visited have ever suggested putting it back on. Which is weird.

The tooth should be dead after the root canal, which is why I'm wondering why I'm still feeling pain!

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2024 6:04 PM

R8 you may have an infection elsewhere- what does your periodontist say?

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2024 6:06 PM

R8 Get it removed or fixed, do a go gofundme or whatever. You can't run around with a rotting tooth, damn.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2024 6:07 PM

Schedule an appointment with an endodontist. They specialize in root canals.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2024 6:11 PM

OP, when my lifelong dentist finally retired at age 88 (!) I tried the dentist who took over his practice. She nearly killed me -sent me to the ER with overdose of lidocaine. I asked a few friends, and they all liked their dentists, but didn't have any solid reasons why. Finally, I got inspired and asked my doctor to recommend a dentist. He did, and he gave me medical/technical reasons. I've been very happy ever since.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2024 6:13 PM

OP, if you're having pain you might have an infection. See someone soon.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2024 9:27 PM

Yes - endodontist.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2024 9:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!