Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Facts of Life Revival Was Sabotaged by ‘Greedy’ Co-Star, Says Mindy Cohn

A potential revival of the classic NBC comedy The Facts of Life was effectively sabotaged by a “greedy” co-star who quietly tried to set up her own spinoff, says Mindy Cohn.

During a recent hit on SiriusXM’s Jeff Lewis Live (watch video above), Cohn shared that in the wake of ABC’s December 2021 Live in Front of a Studio Audience special that re-enacted episodes of Facts as well as Diff’rent Strokes, executive producer and sitcom titan Norman Lear reached out to say, “I knew you guys were still popular, but holy hell. The response from the Live [special]!”

Cohn and surviving co-stars Kim Fields and Lisa Whelchel had cameos in the ABC special. TV house mom Charlotte Rae passed away in 2018, while Nancy McKeon had recently moved, so it was “difficult for her to make the trip out,” Whelchel explained.

Cohn says that Lear proceeded to ask her and her onetime castmates if they were interested in a revival. “We had never really talked about it, but we all started to consider it a little bit,” Cohn says. In fact, “We hired a writer, and the four of us got together on Zooms” to discuss.

The “drama” that came next, however, was “not cute,” Cohn says.

“One of the girls … went behind our backs and tried to make a separate deal for a spinoff just for herself and devastated the rest of us,” Cohn shares, not naming names (but agreeing with a co-host who labeled the backstabber a “greedy bitch”).

“For a 40-year friendship and sisterhood, there was tidal wave of emotion” resulting from the attempted end run, Cohn says. Unsurprisingly, as a result, said Facts of Life revival is “dead. It’s very dead,” given that the former co-stars have “no desire to ever work together.

“A couple of people can’t move past it, don’t want to move past it,” Cohn shares. “We were united for 40 years over not talking about each other, not doing dirty, ‘all for one, one for all,’ and this kind of wrecked that, which is sad. Really sad.”

Cohn did not specify if Fields, McKeon or Whelchel was to blame, but said that the Jeff Lewis Live hosts had a “33% chance” of guessing right — and perhaps might fare better if they skimmed her Instagram to with whom she has and hasn’t posted in recent years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 29, 2024 11:23 PM

It HAS to be Kim Fields.

I never knew how nasty she was, until she appeared on the Real Housewives of Atlanta.

She's not a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 5:23 PM

You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2024 5:27 PM

It was Cousin Geri.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2024 5:32 PM

Oh it's definitely Fields. I don't doubt her mother Chip had a little input in it as well. I've heard Chip Fields is a bitch on wheels from way back.

If you don't remember Chip, she played the trashy and abusive mother of Penny (played by Janet Jackson) on 'Good Times'.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 5:37 PM

Kim for sure. The other two don't give enough of shit. Lisa is living a happy life banging the bible and Nancy can't even be bothered to take meeting with Normal fucking Lear because "she had just moved and it would have been difficult."

It was Kim. She's all caught up in that sassy RH bullshit where money and fame are fetishized. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 5:37 PM

Bring back Jo as a butch lesbian.

WITH or WITHOUT Nancy McKeon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2024 5:38 PM

Blair should come out as a late in life lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2024 5:54 PM

Wasn't there a story from back when they did that reunion movie (twenty years ago or so)? They were filming only two or three blocks from where McKeon was filming that Lifetime series "The Division", so Cohn, Fields, and Welchel took a walk down to at least pay her a visit (McKeon wasn't available for the movie like she wasn't available for the live event.) McKeon was nowhere to be found and every time they tried to contact her, they never heard back.

My money is on McKeon wanting her own reboot called "Jo" or maybe "Polnichek". She's a recently out lesbian cop dealing with the recent loss of her father, trying to find love, and moving on from the zany sitcom-like antics of her closeted youth. They would cast sound alikes or lookalikes for the other girls trying to force their way back into Jo's new life.

I never did get how Jo and her father were treated almost like a separate show within a show, similar to Rose on Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2024 6:16 PM

Hmm, the signs seem to point to Nancy McKeon.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2024 6:32 PM

This makes me sad. Like many fans, I grew up on this show.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2024 6:49 PM

I think it is Kim Fields. This was just a few months ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2024 6:56 PM

We knew, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2024 6:58 PM

What would’ve been the premise??

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2024 7:01 PM

R11 thanks - the girls look great.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2024 7:09 PM

Tootie - all grown up.

A black woman living her life as an actress in NYC, post divorce and trying to re-establish herself as a middle aged black womam living on her own in the city

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2024 7:25 PM

I thank the foolish cunt who naively sabotaged the enterprise.

Sometimes good come fum da debil's work.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2024 7:42 PM

There were other girls who were dumped who could've came back for the reboot.

They would've been cheaper & less demanding too.

SATC came back with out Kim C. & has had more seasons ordered.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2024 7:44 PM

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2024 7:46 PM

I think we have a Tootiebot fan on here.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2024 7:48 PM

Goddamn you, Natalie!!!!

You have such a big mouth!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2024 8:08 PM

Who's the tall drink of water in this photo??

He looks HUNG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2024 8:11 PM

Tootie/Kim Fields has become just another angry/ghetto/black woman.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2024 8:14 PM

R22 = George Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2024 8:19 PM

Are any of them childless cat ladies?

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2024 8:22 PM

[quote] Are any of them childless cat ladies?

Only Natalie.

Oh, and lesbian Jo.

Tootie's married to a closeted gay man.

And Blair..... panks her kids.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2024 8:27 PM

I listened to the show. She all but confirmed thru process of elimination it was Lisa W. Mystery solved.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2024 8:49 PM

She must have invested well.

How the fuck does she have money?

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2024 8:54 PM

I was hoping it wasn’t Nancy. Seems weird that she’d stay out of the spotlight then suddenly be demanding, wanting to be treated as the star.

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2024 8:58 PM

Kim Fields. No doubt.

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2024 9:23 PM

[quote]Nancy McKeon had recently moved, so it was “difficult for her to make the trip out,”

Where did she move to--the moon?

She couldn't get on a plane?

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2024 9:27 PM

R21 - the headless package was Richard Dean Anderson, who was married to Tootie’s aunt.

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2024 9:34 PM

[quote] I listened to the show. She all but confirmed thru process of elimination it was Lisa W. Mystery solved.

No way.

Lisa is the least drama out of all those bitches.

by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2024 12:49 AM

A friend who is into this more than me said he has dug into it and it's Lisa. Apparently, "she's been trying to claw her way back ever since she got divorced".

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2024 2:28 AM

R33’s friend = Mackenzie Astin

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2024 2:37 AM

I asked the girls what their favorite food was and they all said, "Seconds".

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2024 2:39 AM

It's come to light that it was Lisa Whelchel who ruined the reboot. Mindy said if you pay attention to her instagram, it should be fairly obvious. Lisa was missing from the photos posted in April.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2024 4:41 AM

Her recent Jeri pic reeked of desperation.

Maybe the spinoff idea involved Jeri in some manner.

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2024 5:10 AM

I can't believe you guys pulled me into this high drama thread so much that I've read every word of every post.

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2024 9:58 AM

r1 It's already been determined that it is/was Lisa Whelchel

by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2024 10:03 AM

Really hoping it’s not Lisa.

She was delightful on Survivor. Won over lots of people like me who had misconceptions about her.

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2024 11:57 AM

I'll be honest: I'm still hoping it's Kim because from what I've seen of her in RHOA, I like her a lot less than I like Lisa.

It's also weird to me that Mindy would pose smiling with Lisa in February then characterize her as a greedy bitch in July over something that happened in 2022. If fences were mended five months ago, why stir the pot now?

Meanwhile, Kim hasn't been seen on Mindy's IG since 2022.

by Anonymousreply 41July 25, 2024 12:02 PM

Remember when Tootie was going to be a model? She had the face (at the time anyway) but was too thickly built.

by Anonymousreply 42July 25, 2024 12:41 PM

r41 Great points. I'm starting to think Mindy is the problem. Is Mindy the drama?

by Anonymousreply 43July 25, 2024 1:47 PM

R42 Kim played a glamorous character on Living Single. Separately I wonder about the economics of this era of television performance fees. If you landed in one or even two hit sitcoms in the wrong era, you could have ended up with little or no income in the following two or three decades.

An acquaintance of mine was in a hit network drama in the early 1980’s. After it ended he auditioned and narrated bus tours for four decades until he was able to draw a pension from sag/aftra. I think his story is a pretty common one.

I know several other actors who orbited success but ended up in NYC’s gig economy, so broke as to qualify for Medicaid and food stamps.

by Anonymousreply 44July 25, 2024 1:51 PM

I can see Variety's headline now...."Tootie Doodie on FOL Reboot!"

by Anonymousreply 45July 25, 2024 2:07 PM

R43 Mindy definitely seems to be a piece of work. To mention a "greedy bitch" but she won't confirm or deny which one but also check her Insta feed for clues...

I'd be pissed if I were Kim but the culprit is Lisa, because Mindy threw a ton of suspicion Kim's way and is doing nothing to dispel it. So much for being "besties!"

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2024 2:09 PM

It’s Lisa. Cohn all but confirmed it by saying you can tell who it is from her Instagram - less photos and Mindy unfollowed Lisa and then refollowed recently. Lisa would totally pull a stunt like this.

by Anonymousreply 47July 25, 2024 2:17 PM

It was Lisa with a rollerskate in the deans office.

by Anonymousreply 48July 25, 2024 4:46 PM

"Blair Of Bel Air" (NBC)- Lisa Whelchel returns to network television as the former trophy wife of a hedgefund billionaire (Scott Baio) who is now down 'n out and working as a personal assistant to a faded movie star (Susan Sarandon). Jeeves the Butler: Dean Cain.

by Anonymousreply 49July 25, 2024 7:38 PM

John Schneider as the curmudgeonly, widowed, next-door neighbor of Lisa and Baio.

by Anonymousreply 50July 25, 2024 8:18 PM

I wonder where they would have gone in the reunion? Hopefully not Edna’s funeral. I’d rather have Harvey Fierstein do a drag interpretation of Mrs. Garrett than that.

Taking a cue from the Golden Girls mystery novel, why not release the unfilmed Facts of Life reunion script in hardback? Surely, a best seller.

by Anonymousreply 51July 25, 2024 8:31 PM

Per usual, DL was so quick to blame the black woman when we all know it was the blonde Christian fundamentalist who sabotaged the revival.

by Anonymousreply 52July 25, 2024 8:33 PM

It's because Mindy said the clues were in her Instagram and Kim hasn't been seen on it in awhile. It looked bad for her

by Anonymousreply 53July 25, 2024 11:32 PM

r52 You tried, sweetie

by Anonymousreply 54July 25, 2024 11:34 PM

Kim’s dead to her

by Anonymousreply 55July 25, 2024 11:36 PM

[quote] You tried, sweetie

Tried, what? What the fuck are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 56July 25, 2024 11:39 PM

The traitor was Lisa Whelchel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2024 4:55 PM

R52 DL thought it was Kim based on the fact that during interviews she always seemed annoyed at being associated with The Facts of Life.

It wasn't because she was black lol.

by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2024 4:59 PM

The best Lisa can hope for is a mother’s role in a bad Hallmark or Family Channel movie or series.

by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2024 5:23 PM

Lisa's betrayal must have devasted Nancy who I think has always had a lesbian crush on Lisa.

by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2024 5:43 PM

^^devastated^^

by Anonymousreply 61July 26, 2024 5:44 PM

I was close friends with a common housefly, Doug, who was actually on a piece of gefilte fish in Mindy’s house right when this was being discussed.

Doug related to me in no uncertain terms that it was Kim. Sadly, Doug has since passed away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 26, 2024 5:59 PM

Saboteur!

by Anonymousreply 63July 29, 2024 11:05 PM

They always hate the pretty one.

by Anonymousreply 64July 29, 2024 11:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!