Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Top Russian economist dies after falling out of window

Another one of these.

[quote]Valentina Bondarenko, a top Russian economist and a leading research fellow at the Institute of Economics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, has died at the age of 82 after falling out of her apartment window in Moscow.

[quote]"She fell out of the window of her apartment, unfortunately, it was not possible to save her, the injuries she received were incompatible with life," the source said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2024 2:42 AM

Oh dear! Another one. Windows are so dangerous in Russia.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 10:44 AM

Why kill the economist, Pooty? You're the one who killed your economy with your shitty decisions.

I guess the truth about Russia's financial future was just too much reality for him to handle, and it's easier to pretend it away when the economists are scared for their lives enough to lie to you about it all.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2024 11:05 AM

Yeah, she probably just told the truth, i.e. that a war economy might look really appealing once the initial figures come out, but is a recipe for ruin in the long term.

[quote]it was not possible to save her, the injuries she received were incompatible with life

Like reading an Onion article.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2024 11:10 AM

The world should come together to fund a PSA campaign advising Russian citizens not to stand next to open windows.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 11:15 AM

Defenestration

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 11:21 AM

Imagine being that intelligence officer who has to drag an 82-year-old lady to the window and toss her out. And still they won't think "am I the bad guy here?" because they're just doing their job and everything is justifiable when you're defending Mother Russia.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2024 11:22 AM

Not defending Mother Russia, Putin's NEW Five Year Plan.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2024 11:25 AM

the average Russian is latently suicidal, i could buy the idea that they're prone to suddenly jumping out of windows. they don't have the gene that values life.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2024 1:00 PM

r8 I mean, once you've made it to 82, I'm pretty sure you're in it to the end. And it's not like she was some loser, she was the leading research fellow at their most prestigious academic institution.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2024 1:05 PM

If you follow the links in that story, dozens of officials and oligarchs have died under mysterious circumstances since 2017. Many since the war in Ukraine began. Remember, this is what Republicans look up to, now.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2024 1:14 PM

I want to direct a horror film where a sentient window sneaks around Moscow, jumping in front of people walking and causing them to fall out of it.

"Well, just toddling into my broom closet - ARRRRGH!!!!!"

I'd call it NIGHT OF THE DOUBLE GLAZING.

"In Soviet Russia, window open you!!"

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2024 1:21 PM

[quote] In Soviet Russia, window open you

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2024 1:47 PM

If I were Russian, I would never enter a building unless it looked like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2024 1:54 PM

[quote]Imagine being that intelligence officer who has to drag an 82-year-old lady to the window and toss her out. And still they won't think "am I the bad guy here?"

They'll think, "If I don't follow orders, it'll be me being dragged here very soon."

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2024 3:43 PM

Based on what I've been reading, the whole country is a huge gulag with invisible fences. People are encouraged to report all "unpatriotic activity", everybody is extremely careful about what they say, basically like in the Soviet era but even worse, since Putin doesn't even bother with lending any level of credibility to his sham trials and political murders.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2024 3:51 PM

r14, Лети, бабушка, лети! Is the new Russian witch dunking stool.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2024 4:03 PM

Sounds like East Germany

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2024 4:06 PM

I wonder if a single one of these defenestrations has ever been investigated by the police, or do they just shrug and record them all as suicides? (Rhetorical question.)

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2024 4:45 PM

Other than dying in a "Special Military Operation" in Ukraine, falling out of windows must be the leading cause of death in Russia, followed closely by alcohol poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2024 10:20 PM

Even sadder because she lived on the first floor.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2024 10:28 PM

I think of defenestration as Czech, but I guess pan-Slavic now?

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2024 10:32 PM

[quote]dozens of officials and oligarchs have died under mysterious circumstances since 2017. Many since the war in Ukraine began. Remember, this is what Republicans look up to, now.

Those pro-Putin Republicans will find a way to blame Zelenskyy and his government for those mysterious deaths.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2024 10:55 PM

If Trump was ever Putin's tool, back when he was president, I think Putin has now decided that Trump is too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. Enough with the damned (blue bubble) Putin references.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2024 11:00 PM

You think wrong, R23.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2024 11:30 PM

Defenestration, nerve poisons and downing aircraft are the Putin trinity of opposition removal.

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2024 2:41 AM

“I fall out vindow, it was accident….”

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2024 2:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!