Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Hot Spell" (1958)

It was sort of "A Tin Roof Streetcar Named Menagerie". It had all the right stuff: Shirley Booth, Shirley Maclaine, Eileen Heckart, Anthony Quinn, a closeted gay actor (Earl Holliman)... Why isn't it a classic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2024 1:30 AM

It was based on a novel by Lonnie Coleman, who also wrote "Sam," a novel about gay life in Manhattan in the 1950s considered quite daring for its time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 2:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2024 2:34 AM

I never took a shine to Shirley Booth but my grandmother never missed an episode of Hazel.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2024 2:44 AM

Anthony Quinn destroys every movie he's in.

I know it should be past tense, but it's too immediately present when he shows his face and starts that inevitable routine.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 2:46 AM

It’s not a classic because it doesn’t regularly show up on TCM a few times a year where people can actually see it.

There are no champions these days for most of the Paramount library.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 2:46 AM

[quote]Anthony Quinn destroys every movie he's in.

I agree you often get the same performance, just different ethnicities. But watch The Shoes Of The Fisherman sometime. The movie is trash but he's very good. He gives a very restrained performance. You can see how he was seriously considered for the role of Don Corleone in The Godfather.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2024 2:52 AM

I still remember seeing this on the late late show as a kid. The two Shirley's were the big draw for me.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2024 3:11 AM

R2 where Elieen Heckart gives sex tips to Shirley Booth is so believable. Eyeroll.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2024 3:50 AM

The two Shirleys...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2024 3:53 AM

Much like you r7, I'd seen it as a young teen late at night.

it seemed slight.

As for Anthony Quinn... often unintentionally hilarious. Must see in "Portrait in Black" with Lana Turner, Richard Basehart, and SANDA DEE. so bad it's almost good. Poor Lana is forced to drive a car.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2024 3:57 AM

[quote]The two Shirley's were the big draw for me.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2024 3:57 AM

Just watched ‘’Hot spell’’.So-so. Love Earl Holliman in anything! Did not know or even imagine Holliman was gay. As a kid I was in love with him in ‘’Police Woman’’. He was Bill Crowley along with Pepper Anderson (Angie Dickinson). The Rainmaker w/ Kate Hepburn 1956 was great. Earl Holliman is still alive at 95!

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2024 12:55 AM

How did Anthony Quinn ever get into the movies? Maybe he was blackmailing the producers.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2024 12:59 AM

Paramount tried to put Shirley Booth over, but it just didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2024 1:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!