Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"NY Deli Tuna Salad" recipe - enjoy !

If you want to make some NY Deli Tuna Sandwiches for your summer picnic, this guy has you covered. Enjoy fraus !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 28, 2024 2:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 1:56 AM

R1 A thread on ice cubes is a 'related thread' on NY Deli Tuna ? Seriously ?

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2024 2:03 AM

I linked to a YouTube video of his last week. I've made the NY Deli macaroni salad and chicken salad (my partner is having it for lunch). Both recipes are good. I've also tried some of his Italian-American recipes. Pretty good, though he can get a little annoying at times.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2024 2:45 AM

You need 1/2 dozen WHOLE boiled eggs to make tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 2:56 AM

Eggs and tuna? Together? Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 3:17 AM

THIS is what DL has sunk to? THIS??

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2024 3:18 AM

That's too much tuna

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2024 3:19 AM

MMMM! Canned fish! Hold me back!

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2024 3:20 AM

Eggs are for potato salad, not tuna salad, R4.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2024 4:40 AM

That looks delicious OP. Fah shame r9. Whoever doesn’t put eggs in their tuna salad ought to stick to making chicken salad. Boiled eggs must be in a tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2024 4:43 AM

[quote]Boiled eggs must be in a tuna salad.

Is this sarcasm?

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2024 4:50 AM

Hard boiled eggs in anything make it just taste like hard boiled eggs. And they smell like farts.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2024 5:05 AM

He didn't put any hard boiled eggs in his tuna salad, r4. Eggs are for egg salad, you twisted fuck.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2024 5:14 AM

Oh god, does this mean Greg is back? Nooooooooooooooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2024 5:14 AM

I like egg salad on wheat crackers with V8 to wash it down.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2024 5:15 AM

Eggs in tuna salad must be a black thing. And it doesn’t overwhelm the taste if you know what you are doing.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2024 5:19 AM

Of course it doesn't overwhelm the taste, r16. If you know what you're doing, you know enough not to put eggs in tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2024 5:32 AM

Hard-boiled eggs belong in egg salad and relish trays and nowhere else.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2024 7:38 AM

Serve it on raisin toast for me.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2024 7:50 AM

R14, I've been traveling...what has happened to Greg and the pussies?? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2024 8:12 AM

R16 Thank you, Symone Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2024 1:03 PM

Eggs absolutely belong in a classic tuna salad recipe. I wish Greg would hear to settle this debate lol. Most on DL seem like they can’t cook anyway lol.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2024 2:17 PM

Is the first ingredient “mind yo fukkin business if this is tuna or dolphin”?

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2024 2:24 PM

My tuna salad is enhanced with a few diced bread and butter pickles that I buy at my local farmers market.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2024 2:25 PM

Didn’t he say “definitely don’t use Duke’s” while describing the Mayo? I can’t believe you bitches are giving him any attention at all.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2024 3:13 PM

I'm not getting the addition of crushed crackers.

Something about it annoys me.

I am going to try adding soy sauce though. That makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2024 3:42 PM

I enjoy watching James show. He’s got some good things going on. He’s mixing it up from just Italian food to ?New York deli and other ethnic recipes.

I also like Brian Lagerstrom’s tuna salad recipes. He’s got a classic mayo style and a more savory Italian style salad. Check it out.

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2024 3:42 PM

[quote]Eggs in tuna salad must be a black thing.

Nonsense. I'm an old white guy and I grew up with it. It's a New England/NY/NJ think.

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2024 9:13 PM

R28 oh ok. I also grew up there.

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2024 9:23 PM

I've lived in New England all my life, order tuna sandwiches regularly when I go out to eat - never had eggs in a tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2024 9:24 PM

That is so ghetto not to put eggs in tuna salad. White people are so ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2024 9:26 PM

And do you put tuna in your egg salad, r31?

by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2024 10:04 PM

[quote]That is so ghetto not to put eggs in tuna salad. White people are so ghetto.

So many sarcastic posts today.

by Anonymousreply 33July 24, 2024 10:18 PM

R32 Do you put horseradish in your ragu?

by Anonymousreply 34July 24, 2024 10:26 PM

I like Sip and Feast. I don’t know the guy’s actual name.

by Anonymousreply 35July 24, 2024 11:08 PM

R35 - James Delmage

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2024 11:11 PM

James Delmage sounds like a denizen of Studio 54 who had a threesome with Grace Jones and Alec Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 37July 24, 2024 11:16 PM

[quote]It's a New England/NY/NJ think.

r28 Not in my part of New Jersey, Dustin. I never heard of putting HBEs in tuna salad before reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2024 2:51 PM

I don't claim the only way to make tuna salad is to include HBEs. I've had it both ways, but my family generally put HBE in it, R38. It' quite possible they are just two different salads; tuna salad and tuna salad with egg. It's good either way.

James has a real bro vibe going on. He's attractive but I've watched too many of his videos to be attracted to him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2024 6:09 PM

R24, I also chop up some b&b pickles to add to my tuna salad. I don’t add eggs to the tuna but when I add it to a greens salad, I will cut a hard boiled egg in quarters and have it in with the greens.

R39, I feel the same way about James, nice looking guy, but he’s got his family there so it’s like watching your cousin in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2024 8:07 PM

I have never heard of hard boiled egg in tuna salad. Seems like something a confused housewife who doesn’t know how to cook would do.

by Anonymousreply 41July 26, 2024 12:35 AM

I don't put hard boiled eggs in my tuna salad, but Fairway in NYC does and it's not bad.

by Anonymousreply 42July 26, 2024 1:45 AM

He uses his son as a taste tester and the son is not really incisive.

Also, he discourages use of a food scale and said: "In America, we use cups." What a dumb ass.

He also calls his wife "Mama," like he's Mike Pence.

by Anonymousreply 43July 26, 2024 1:50 AM

My old neighbor, a lady from Texas, was a really good cook. She made us kids really good tuna sandwiches, which involved hard-boiled eggs and dill pickles. Very good.

That said, I don't think tuna salad (for sandwiches) *needs* HBE.

by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2024 1:51 AM

In 30 years, his son will be running a business in the Garment District in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 45July 26, 2024 2:08 AM

R41 I’m the greatest amateur chef of all time. You should try it.

by Anonymousreply 46July 26, 2024 8:58 AM

I already know how to cook, but thanks. Go focus on your “protein” & “veg.”

by Anonymousreply 47July 26, 2024 9:30 AM

I think adding finely diced hard boiled eggs to tuna salad isn’t so much a flavor thing as they’re put in as a stretcher.

It’s a cheap way to end up with a bit more salad.

by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2024 9:44 AM

^^ I only started doing this myself when I noticed the deli tuna salad I liked had some hard boiled egg in it. I just thought, “Well, okay. Why not?”

by Anonymousreply 49July 26, 2024 9:47 AM

Between the smell of tuna and the smell of sulphur that tuna salad is ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 50July 26, 2024 10:51 AM

R58 yep. But it also negates the overly fishy taste of the tuna. It’s a brilliant addition. I’m so grateful to be from the East coast. If you don’t put eggs in a tuna salad you are dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 51July 26, 2024 11:13 AM

R12- When I was a kid I was not a fussy eater but my least favorite sandwich 🥪 was Egg Salad- It felt like a punishment having to eat that for lunch. To me at the time it looked like SNOT salad 🤢

by Anonymousreply 52July 26, 2024 11:20 AM

R48- No, that’s not a cheap extender. A cheap extender that significantly increases the volume of the tuna salad is CELERY.

by Anonymousreply 53July 26, 2024 11:24 AM

R53 you are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 54July 26, 2024 11:31 AM

[quote]R53 A cheap extender that significantly increases the volume of the tuna salad is CELERY.

Celery isn’t cheap to me because I only buy it to make tuna or potato salad (or stuffing) and after that 3/4 of the purchase rots in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 55July 26, 2024 11:36 AM

This dumpy- ish average guy makes such a big FUCKIN deal about Tuna salad.

It’s just tunafish it’s not from gourmet dish.

by Anonymousreply 56July 26, 2024 11:53 AM

R56 once in a while I make a gourmet tuna and I buy fresh tuna.

by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2024 12:07 PM

I liked the Sip and Feast guy when he first started doing videos but I lost interest when he started including his kids and wife.

I'm not interested in some tween or teen's opinion. I also despise videos where the spouse is off camera talking.

Hardboiled eggs in tuna salad are good.

by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2024 12:13 PM

I don't mind the kid being on. (The daughter hasn't been on in a couple of years I think.)

R58 - you'd hate his podcast: it's just him and the wife.

by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2024 12:20 PM

R58 was in love and then the fantasy got ruined once he introduced the fish and fuck trophies.

by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2024 12:26 PM

Lookswise, he reminds me of actor Bruno Kirby, who I liked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 26, 2024 4:39 PM

lemme guess...kosher dills instead of sweet?

by Anonymousreply 62July 26, 2024 4:52 PM

[quote] No, that’s not a cheap extender. A cheap extender that significantly increases the volume of the tuna salad is CELERY.

Or shredded lettuce.

by Anonymousreply 63July 26, 2024 7:18 PM

R63 whoever puts shredded lettuce in a tuna salad is one of the most obnoxious chefs in all of culinary history. They are also a cunt of the highest order. I don’t even put celery I put relish. My perfect tuna salad: bubble bee albacore tuna, finely chopped onions, 2 boiled eggs(more depending on the serving), sweet relish, ground black pepper and salt, and my secret ingredient.

by Anonymousreply 64July 26, 2024 7:23 PM

[quote]R26: I am going to try adding soy sauce though. That makes sense.

No it doesn't. Tuna Salad does not need salt.

Black pepper, yes. Salt, no.

And I'm surprised that no one has exploded over the notion of sweet pickles in it.

by Anonymousreply 65July 26, 2024 8:43 PM

R65 a little salt not much.

by Anonymousreply 66July 26, 2024 9:25 PM

[quote]Oh god, does this mean Gre-g is back?

He's really been missed around here!

by Anonymousreply 67July 26, 2024 9:31 PM

I like sweet pickle relish in my tuna salad. I use Genova brand oil-packed albacore. Available at Costco. The can is packed with large pieces of tuna and really not much room for oil.

by Anonymousreply 68July 26, 2024 9:48 PM

[quote]whoever puts shredded lettuce in a tuna salad is one of the most obnoxious chefs in all of culinary history.

It was a family member who did it to stretch it out for a bunch of kids. Didn’t have a lot of money.

[quote]bubble bee albacore tuna, finely chopped onions, 2 boiled eggs(more depending on the serving), sweet relish, ground black pepper and salt, and my secret ingredient.

Eggs, chopped (cooking) onion not green, relish and not chopped gherkin or other sweet pickle… you shouldn’t criticize other recipes if that kitchen sink recipe is what you use.

by Anonymousreply 69July 27, 2024 2:55 AM

I don’t see how lettuce stretches the tuna. It’s a mushy mess. Eggs or even celery I get. But shredded lettuce? Apologies though for bashing your family member.

by Anonymousreply 70July 27, 2024 2:58 AM

And I use red onion.

by Anonymousreply 71July 27, 2024 2:58 AM

[quote]I don’t see how lettuce stretches the tuna. It’s a mushy mess. Eggs or even celery I get. But shredded lettuce? Apologies though for bashing your family member.

Shredded iceburg lettuce. It’s just a filler so that there is more “salad” to put on bread.

by Anonymousreply 72July 27, 2024 3:04 AM

I understand what spreading the meat is. It just seems like the texture and everything would be horrible.

by Anonymousreply 73July 27, 2024 3:06 AM

If you served it immediately and didn’t over mix, I can see iceberg lettuce giving some crunch. But it would get mushy as a leftover.

by Anonymousreply 74July 27, 2024 3:50 AM

There was a time when I'd order tuna on a sub roll. There'd be a tomato slice and separate shredded lettuce, and some mayo. It was delicious. I can't see mixing shredded lettuce into the tuna salad, but as one of the layers in a sub, it was delicious, and had a great texture.

by Anonymousreply 75July 27, 2024 4:15 AM

I like to watch this guy's (Michael's Home Cooking) channel. He doesn't show his face, but I think he is a DLer.

Anyway, he made tuna melts here. He used homemade sweet pickle relish AND capers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 27, 2024 4:21 AM

[quote]If you served it immediately and didn’t over mix, I can see iceberg lettuce giving some crunch. But it would get mushy as a leftover.

There wouldn’t be leftovers so it worked.

by Anonymousreply 77July 27, 2024 4:38 AM

way to out yourself, michael, r76!

by Anonymousreply 78July 27, 2024 6:16 AM

They ain’t serving no hard boiled egg infused tuna salad at my funeral R51

by Anonymousreply 79July 27, 2024 6:39 AM

I had to leave a picnic table at lunch because somebody was farting.

by Anonymousreply 80July 27, 2024 6:41 AM

Well, if you want cat food, then put egg in your tuna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 27, 2024 7:13 AM

Like the debate on mayonnaise, and the subject of meatloaf, Tuna Salad is one of those topics that cyclically recur on the DL. I recall posting my growing up experiences with Tuna Salad on a thread lost to time some five or six years ago, where the raging focus wasn't just eggs, but which kind of pickles belonged in it. Sweet pickles were denounced as a Southernism, and perhaps it is.

My mom's recipe for Tuna Salad was conserved in a manilla folder she'd kept from high school in the late 1950s, compiled from a home economics class. It called for diced white onion, celery, bell pepper, sweet pickles, and hard boiled eggs, mixed together with Miracle Whip. Who knows? Perhaps the recipe originated with a recipe from the label of a jar of Miracle Whip, or maybe Kraft helped sponsor the class curriculum, introducing recipes that featured its products.

Whatever the case may have been, Miracle Whip was what was used in my household growing up.

Once I began to prepare food for myself, I changed my mom's Tuna Salad recipe to suit myself. Across the decades, there'd been a lot of permutations; for maybe a decade, we used to have it on toasted bread with cheese. As late as the 1990s, it still contained diced hard boiled eggs, but I eventually dropped these. In this century, it has consisted of the following:

▪ Chunk Light Tuna in water

▪ diced white onion

▪ diced celery

▪ dill relish

▪ diced bell pepper, red or green

▪ diced green olives with pimento

▪ Miracle Whip

▪ black pepper

▪ dash of Sriracha

▪ dashes of granulated onion powder and ground celery powder, to intensify those flavors; optional.

▪ Sourdough bread, untoasted

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My brother likes to put sliced tomato on his tuna sandwiches, but I think it's vile. I never got the whole tuna/tomato thing, though I make tomatoes available for his use. I've tried making Tuna Salad with mayonnaise, but as I've remarked, it's saltier, and just doesn't suit me.

by Anonymousreply 82July 27, 2024 9:27 AM

When I was a kid, tuna salad at my home was tuna, Miracle Whip, and pickle relish. If I were to make it now instead of just buying it, I would make it the same way.

by Anonymousreply 83July 27, 2024 10:56 AM

I'm with R83. Tuna salad tastes best to me when it's simple. Tuna, mayonnaise, maybe some chopped celery if you have celery around. Add some lettuce to the sandwiches, not to the salad itself, if you want lettuce. But these recipes with 15 ingredients just complicate a simple pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 84July 27, 2024 11:22 AM

Always use Helmans mayo for the base.

by Anonymousreply 85July 28, 2024 2:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!