Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lisa Kudrow grew angry with Friends live studio audience for “laughing too long”

Lisa Kudrow said on the “Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend” podcast that she often grew irritated with the live studio audience on the “Friends” set because they would laugh for too long at moments she just didn’t think required that dramatic of a response. Kudrow played Phoebe Buffay on all 10 seasons of the NBC sitcom, and the role earned her six Emmy nominations and one win for best supporting actress in a comedy series.

“Because they were laughing for too long. It wasn’t that funny. That’s why,” Kudrow said when O’Brien brought up Kudrow’s annoyance with the live studio audience. “It wasn’t an honest response and it irritated me. Now you’re just ruining the timing of the rest of the show. There are other lines. Sometimes I would just look out if they’d been laughing too long, and go, ‘Come on’. Really angry.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2024 12:56 AM

This sounds like a storyline on "Hacks." (Probably because it was one: Deborah got irritated that people were laughing solely because they were "expected to laugh.") I concur with Kudrow.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 1:29 AM

And? Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2024 1:35 AM

The Friends audiences would wait for hours to get in and see the show. They were cheerleaded by staff to be responsive so they felt all that prep time obligated them to overlaugh and overreact. Regular Friends direct Peter Bonerz actually said this in a commentary section on The Bob Newhart Show DVD, comparing the appropriate and natural audience laughter and responses on that show and the over the top and sometimes unwarranted responses by Friends audiences.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2024 1:40 AM

I would be too if I was in her place. It's awkward for the players and awkward for the audience at home when an actor has to find a way to make a 30+ second pause seem natural in the middle of a joke. It takes you out of the moment, and it probably leads to a lot of actors losing their place when the laughter finally ends, so more unnecessary takes.

That's what I liked about How I Met Your Mother--they didn't film in front of a live audience, but instead recorded an audience laughing to the already filmed episode. Made for much more natural joke delivery and allowed for extended uninterrupted comedic monologues/sequences.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 1:56 AM

Fawlty Towers did their show right. They never paused for audience laughter to die down, they just kept going, and the audience had to keep up with the breakneck speed of how the story moved.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 2:00 AM

This often happens with successful long-running shows.

By the final season of the Big Bang theory any mildly amusing thing the characters said would illicit huge, unearned guffaws from the studio audience. And the show’s creator insisted a laugh track was not used.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2024 2:09 AM

I was watching reruns of Will & Grace and I’m convinced they were using a laugh track because the laughing and claps were so fucking obnoxious. None of what was happening was even that funny.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2024 2:11 AM

Give me a break. She was making a million dollars an episode. Suck it up.

None of them with the exception of Courtney Cox had any semblance of a career prior to this show. And yet, several of them have done nothing but gripe about it. It gives off major entitlement.

Hopefully, she sends Teri Garr some of that residual money, since she basically stole Teri's schtick.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2024 2:18 AM

It wasn’t not funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2024 2:25 AM

Why was R9's underwears coming down?

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2024 2:37 AM

R10 Because her real world cast members pulled them down by accident.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2024 2:39 AM

Well, that's not very nice. A true friend never pulls down your underwears.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2024 3:04 AM

She always struck me as humorless.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2024 3:23 AM

I know what she’s referring to. You can hear a shift in the audience as the show grew more successful. The annoying SQUEEE girls who shrieked at every emotional moment annoyed me more than the laughter, though.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2024 3:27 AM

[quote]That's what I liked about How I Met Your Mother--they didn't film in front of a live audience, but instead recorded an audience laughing to the already filmed episode.

"Archie Bunker's Place was played before a studio audience for live responses".

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2024 4:23 AM

The Friends audience wasn't as bad as the Married With Children in the later years, with the whooping and cat-calling, and whistles when Kelly would come on stage and bounce her tits. It was like they shared an audience with Morton Downey Jr.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2024 4:33 AM

Laugh tracks are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2024 4:34 AM

Perhaps this cunt should have joined the cast of Arliss and got off network tv.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2024 4:38 AM

She doesn’t need to complain about Friends anymore, because every moment of The Comeback showed just how much contempt she has for the show, and anything she says now is redundant.

And her performance as Valerie Cherish was genius.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2024 4:46 AM

R17 Yes and Alan Alda said if they didn't discontinue them on MASH he was quitting. It worked.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2024 4:54 AM

I hope after a while they were just doing it to piss her off.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2024 5:13 AM

Here’s the interview in question. She goes into more detail that isn’t quoted in the article.

For instance, she notes that were it a stage play, she’d have been fine with the long laughs, but ultimately it was a TV show made for a television audience, and to delay the pacing would just make editing trickier.

As well, she noted that they did so many takes that the crowd would eventually stop laughing, because they’d heard it all before. That made the writers go, “oh, it’s not working, let’s rewrite.” And Lisa would think, “no, it did work, they’ve just heard it too many times. And you’re just going to take the laugh track from the first take and splice it in, so why keep redoing it?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2024 7:09 AM

That '70s Show's studio audiences also went a little over-the-top as its popularity grew. To their credit, the producers tried to curb it in some situations.

I was at the filming of the episode "The First Time" (when Eric & Donna had sex for the first time, mid-S2.) While the crew set up for the final/pivotal scene in Eric's bedroom, co-producer Linda Wallem addressed the audience & basically asked everyone to be cool/behave like adults during the next scene. Yes, laugh when appropriate.... but, NO cheering, hooting, or awwwwwwing, please.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2024 8:34 AM

Trying to act around the audience having a nervous breakdown over every must have been pretty annoying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2024 8:50 AM

She's not an Aniston or Cox-level bitch, but she's definitely a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2024 10:39 PM

It's hard to imagine how much she suffered. And all just for a million dollars an episode!

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2024 10:42 PM

Oh, I would just love a good cunt session with Lisa Kudrow. I feel like you wouldn't even have to get a full cocktail in her for her to spill. She was always too smart for that show and I think she always knew it. Fortunately she was also smart enough to appreciate what a sweet deal she had in it.

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2024 10:47 PM

I'm telling you

Female Aspergers

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2024 10:52 PM

Kudrow used to have a rep for being quite a cunt back in the day but she seems to have chilled out over time and is actually a decent human being nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2024 10:56 PM

Ingrate

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2024 10:58 PM

What stories of cuntiness have you heard, R29? I'm not familiar.

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2024 10:58 PM

Kudrow really is/was the most talented Friends cast member. And it's not even close.

by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2024 10:59 PM

She was said to be openly rude to guest cast members, especially female ones aka Elle MacPherson.

by Anonymousreply 33July 24, 2024 11:03 PM

R33 I thought it was reported that ALL the principal cast members iced out guest stars. I've never once heard it was just Kudrow.

by Anonymousreply 34July 24, 2024 11:05 PM

R8 Jennifer Anniston had a bigger career after the show than Courtney Cox did.

by Anonymousreply 35July 24, 2024 11:13 PM

It was all of them R34 Lisa just made the mistake of saying something nasty to Elle that made a great talk show story.

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2024 11:26 PM

—And I’m sure she’s now decided to disown all the fame and privileges that show and its audience’s laughter contributed to her “career,” right!? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 37July 24, 2024 11:43 PM

[quote]She's not an Aniston or Cox-level bitch, but she's definitely a bitch.

Aniston is not known to be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2024 11:51 PM

What I really hate is performative laughter, where a person does it to demonstrate her (usually her) superior intimacy with the artist or show.

by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2024 12:21 AM

R27 👏

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2024 12:24 AM

I've never minded Kudrow, but that's a pretty cunty thing to say about the audience.

by Anonymousreply 41July 25, 2024 12:39 AM

The Friends studio audience was ridiculous. As the seasons progressed, they would laugh hysterically just because a character said something emphatically. One of the examples that comes to mind is when Rachel says "you fell ASLEEP?" sarcastically. It's mildly amusing but the audience is laughing far too hard.

I've always got the impression Lisa Kudrow is quite hard-faced, even beyond the usual cliqueyness of the rest of the Friends cast. The officially story of why she was fired from Frasier was that she was playing Roz as too light and ethereal (i.e. like her future performance as Phoebe). It's certainly plausible, but I also wonder if she clashed with Kelsey Grammer behind the scenes. He almost had Jane Leeves removed from the show because he thought a British housekeeper was a cliché.

by Anonymousreply 42July 25, 2024 12:42 AM

So then tell the producers to turn off the "APPLAUSE!" signs. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 43July 25, 2024 12:52 AM

It’s kind of fun how these sitcom stars lose many days of their lives each year reliving bullshit from 25 years ago. Yes, they get money. They already have more money than they need. They are still expected to regurgitate on demand

They want a new deck, but the contractor has to know if Schwimmer’s internet dick pics are real .

by Anonymousreply 44July 25, 2024 12:56 AM

Why do I feel like I get this same Friends thread regarding one of the cast members every 6 months and I’m talking before Perry died. Like sometimes identical sounding dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 45July 25, 2024 4:07 AM

Lisa is s lovely girl but she really should wear makeup when she is being filmed in R22.

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2024 12:08 PM

The audience was laughing too hard 🤣 oh dear god, I just can’t form a sentence

by Anonymousreply 47July 25, 2024 12:12 PM

I have to laugh because Lisa was well known to break at the dumbest thing and made retakes necessary.

by Anonymousreply 48July 25, 2024 12:16 PM

Her body language in that interview is very revealing. She has her arms crossed a lot of the time.

by Anonymousreply 49July 26, 2024 6:30 AM

I think she knew it was fake laughing

by Anonymousreply 50July 26, 2024 1:40 PM

R42 From what Peter Casey said, Leeves wasn’t almost fired, but Grammer was hesitant to cast her at all because he thought a British housekeeper would make the show too similar to “Nanny and the Professor,” which he loathed. He preferred the idea of Rosie Perez playing a Hispanic caretaker.

He changed his mind after reading with Leeves.

by Anonymousreply 51July 26, 2024 7:17 PM

She sounds insufferable. It's a fucking sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 52July 26, 2024 8:17 PM

I heard they had to keep an ambulance 🚑 outside because so many people were in danger of laughing to death

by Anonymousreply 53July 26, 2024 8:39 PM

Elle MacPherson’s main talent was looking good in a bikini. She’s not an actress. Im not surprised the Friends cast iced her out.

by Anonymousreply 54July 26, 2024 8:43 PM

Thursday Nights of the Laughing Dead

by Anonymousreply 55July 26, 2024 8:47 PM

R54 Agreed. Elle's acting in Friends was painful to watch. She couldn't even convincingly play 'sexy', and she's a supermodel.

by Anonymousreply 56July 26, 2024 8:49 PM

I never knew Friends was a comedy. I thought it was a documentary about assholes.

by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2024 9:32 PM

She was paid $1 million or so per episode, and she bitches about this? She can't "mute" audience if they laugh too long. Of course, she must control how and when to laugh. Well, she could be waiting tables, like other actors, who are more talented and worthy than she. The arrogance and entitlement is maddening.

by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2024 10:12 PM

R57 = Julia Roberts, Season 2 Guest Star.

by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2024 10:16 PM

R58 Table six needs their check, and table four needs a refill...

by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2024 11:47 PM

R49 Conan is Lisa’s ex

by Anonymousreply 61July 27, 2024 7:10 AM

If the audience was laughing too long (!!), they needed better audience wranglers. Honestly, fuck Lisa Kudrow.

by Anonymousreply 62July 27, 2024 7:12 AM

Who are those two that Conan has as assistants? They add nothing to the show.

by Anonymousreply 63July 27, 2024 11:09 AM

Sitcom blondes taking it on the chin this week.

by Anonymousreply 64July 27, 2024 11:24 AM

Kudrow hates when people are happy.

by Anonymousreply 65July 27, 2024 11:27 AM

Was Joey supposed to be retarded? I never heard Skidrow complaining about all those cheap laughs??

by Anonymousreply 66July 27, 2024 11:31 AM

Is Conan suggesting that he could have played Chandler better than Matthew Perry? Is that the subtext?

by Anonymousreply 67July 27, 2024 11:36 AM

R67, No, I think the subtext is that Conan has carried a torch for Lisa for years and years after they briefly dated before they both became famous and he knew that his sense of humor is what she found attractive about him and when she told him Perry was so funny he was put out because HE was supposed to be the funny guy for her...

by Anonymousreply 68July 27, 2024 9:10 PM

R68 This was also my impression. There was actually a Friends episode just like this. There's this new guy at Monica's job that she goes on and on to Chandler about how much he cracks her up and he gets super insecure about another man making her laugh because he's supposed to be "the funny guy" in her life. So she has to do everything she can to downplay the other funny guy to him so his masculinity isn't threatened.

Even after all these years, Conan is still defensively bringing up Lisa's calling him to tell him how funny Perry was, and she's still having to reassure him Perry was just "a different kind of funny". This isn't the first time I've seen him do it with her in interviews. It's kind of cute to see him still jealous/vulnerable about something so silly that happened so long ago.

by Anonymousreply 69July 27, 2024 11:52 PM

How about no studio audience and "canned laughter"?

by Anonymousreply 70July 28, 2024 11:47 PM

The audience should feel like a perfect arse for laughing too long and interfering with Lisa’s genius comic timing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 29, 2024 12:21 AM

Rich white people problems.

by Anonymousreply 72August 3, 2024 12:56 AM

Jennifer Aniston actually mentions this in her talk with Quinta Brunson around the 9:00 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2024 12:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!