Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Biden’s Wednesday Primetime Address

If Biden resigns,

Harris may win the Presidency. The reason is that it removes the litmus test which Hillary failed to pass with women voters (they wanted a female President but just couldn’t vote for Hillary to be the first one because she wasn’t perfect.) It gives Harris enough time to show what her leadership style is like and to make people accustomed to seeing a Black woman in the Oval Office. It also gives her an outstanding pulpit, and allows her to demonstrate her objectives for a full term.

If Biden does not resign,

nous sommes baisés.

by Anonymousreply 225August 3, 2024 7:31 AM

He's not resigning.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2024 12:06 AM

Agree with R1. It's just hyperbola.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2024 12:10 AM

Prime Time Wednesday ? The night I DVR 'Claim to Fame' and 'Big Brother' ? He's going to pre-empt them ?

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2024 12:13 AM

R3 He is going to try.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 12:40 AM

Unverified rumor ( the best kind) that he will announce he has a terminal illness discovered in his covid treatment. If true, Truly makes me sad as he is one of the good guys.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 12:44 AM

And yet another thread where I can’t see OP’s original post when I click on it. How many threads have you started, troll?

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2024 12:48 AM

I haven't got the energy for another plot twist, R5. This election has been crazy enough as it is.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2024 12:51 AM

I think there is a good chance he may resign under duress.. The DNC wants him gone they want to pave the road for Ms Harris with gold. I fully understand the consequences of another Trump term I just do not trust Ms Harris. She does not seem genuine. Yes I understand she's an accomplished prosecutor and I'm not doubting her legal savvy I'm looking at her as a person. She reminds me of every devious ineffective female corporate executive I've ever had to work with in my career. I have worked with some great women that smashed that glass ceiling that were competent leaders I am not seeing those attributes in Ms Harris.

It really kills me to see posts on Facebook with memes of Ms Harris following in the footsteps of Rosa Parks. Ms. Harris has lead a somewhat privileged life and has achieved much professionally. I doubt she suffered significant discrimination.

And let's ask ourselves this question why was Stacy Abrams ruled out by the DNC as a VP contender when Biden was running? Too Black?

In good conscience but with reservations I will vote for her in the November election. We must stop Trump getting a second term and further damaging the country. However, we need to scrutinize the agendas of the DNC and their tactics.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2024 12:52 AM

OP, are you delusional? He's not resigning. His "incompetence" is a Republican meme, not actual reality. Being a bit slower than in the past doesn't mean he can't handle another few months in office.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2024 12:54 AM

[quote]The DNC wants him gone they want to pave the road for Ms Harris with gold.

No they do NOT. This is FICTION. JFC – take this awful conspiracy-theory bullshit to Truth Social FFS.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2024 12:55 AM

[quote]It really kills me to see posts on Facebook with memes of Ms Harris following in the footsteps of Rosa Parks. Ms. Harris has lead a somewhat privileged life and has achieved much professionally. I doubt she suffered significant discrimination.

The tell that this was written by a white male: she's a BIPOC woman. OF COURSE she's faced discrimination, though obviously not the same variety as Rosa Parks. Does Obama's Harvard degree somehow negate the fact that he was our first Black president?

Btw those memes say nothing about Harris but a lot about your friends on Facebook. I haven't seen any such memes, so maybe you need to find more reasonable friends.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2024 12:59 AM

Can we just lay the ridiculous rumors that the DNC wants Biden to resign to rest? Nothing could be further from the truth. Joe will continue to run the country while Kamala focused on getting elected. Resigning would cause a clustefuck of epic proportions. So just stop.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2024 12:59 AM

[quote]OP, are you delusional? He's not resigning. His "incompetence" is a Republican meme, not actual reality. Being a bit slower than in the past doesn't mean he can't handle another few months in office.

Oh?

So the reason Biden has been removed from the campaign by Pelosi, Obama and Schumer is because he's become "a bit slower"?

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2024 1:06 AM

[quote]Can we just lay the ridiculous rumors that the DNC wants Biden to resign to rest?

It's like those ridiculous rumors that Biden was going to step down from his Presidential campaign...

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2024 1:08 AM

R13/R14, you're doing a masterful job of spouting GOP talking points, but I'll rouse Cheryl to summon the fucking Editor if you keep this shit up much longer.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2024 1:17 AM

It was all expertly planned and timed. The June debate... when is the last time two candidates debated in freakin June? The doddering around us an act. Saying he'd resign if a health priblem arose. Then announcing he has mild Covid. Then bowing out of the race after the Repug convention. All in plenty of time for Kamala to set-up a campaign, pick a VP, everything. All choreographed.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2024 1:28 AM

R8, it's not our fault you're on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2024 1:29 AM

He could resign, though. He's been teaching Kamala the ropes for four years and now he sees that she's popular with the American people.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2024 1:31 AM

Rich is the stupid here.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2024 1:32 AM

He's been leading the executive branch, not civics class.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2024 1:33 AM

[quote]He could resign, though.

Yes, and Trumpkins could collapse into a ball of tears after it finally hits him how many lives he's destroyed, but in the reality-based world THIS ISN'T HAPPENING.

Let it go, hon. Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2024 1:35 AM

[quote]you're doing a masterful job of spouting GOP talking points, but I'll rouse Cheryl to summon the fucking Editor if you keep this shit up much longer.

Go FUCK yourself. Idiot.

We CAN speculate about whether Biden will step down from the Presidency. Just as many speculated about whether or not he would step down from the campaign.

The twists and turns over the past weeks have taken us ALL by surprise. NONE of us know what the next few months will bring. Including you.

As for Biden's cognitive decline: you're a FOOL if you think it's merely GOP talking points.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2024 1:45 AM

He will announce he is transitioning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2024 1:53 AM

If he resigns effective immediately, Kamala would be POTUS without having to be elected. Trump would have a heart attack. Do it, Joe!

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2024 1:54 AM

r5, where did you see that rumor?

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2024 1:56 AM

r16 = beyond retarded.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2024 1:57 AM

[quote]If he resigns effective immediately, Kamala would be POTUS without having to be elected. Trump would have a heart attack. Do it, Joe!

It's just funny how even the suggestion of Biden stepping down from the Presidency gets trolls like R15 so upset.

It would be the best thing to happen to her. It would pull all focus away from Trump from now until the election.

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2024 2:02 AM

You say yes

I say no

You say stop

And I say go go go

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2024 2:04 AM

[quote]If he resigns effective immediately, Kamala would be POTUS without having to be elected. Trump would have a heart attack. Do it, Joe!

Taking over a sitting president's seat doesn't mean a damn thing when people head into the voting booth.

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2024 2:04 AM

Biden is not stepping down. It will open too much of when you did you know about the presidents health. Trump will make it the Hillary’s emails of 24. Even though they are still going to play that game to an extent, it’s more defendable with Biden still in office as the president.

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2024 2:05 AM

[quote] The DNC wants him gone they want to pave the road for Ms Harris with gold. I fully understand the consequences of another Trump term I just do not trust Ms Harris. She does not seem genuine. Yes I understand she's an accomplished prosecutor and I'm not doubting her legal savvy I'm looking at her as a person. She reminds me of every devious ineffective female corporate executive I've ever had to work with in my career. I have worked with some great women that smashed that glass ceiling that were competent leaders I am not seeing those attributes in Ms Harris.

We can thank R8 for encapsulating the brain-dead misogyny that may make it difficult for Harris to win this election. If you asked me why I despise Donald Trump or why I am glad Biden stepped aside, I could have an hour-long discussion. I wouldn't have to resort to vague, baseless assertions that Trump doesn't seem "nice" or Biden didn't seem "with it". It's funny how closely the post mimics the classic voter complaint that "they just don't like" this or that female politician or that there's "just something about her" they don't like. I probably don't even need to comment on R8 classifying Harris as "female executive any more than I would about references "black doctors", "Asian professors", "white scientists" or "gay journalists".

And what's with the weirdness of constantly saying "Ms. Harris"? It's a clear indication that all R8 can think of when he thinks of Harris is her sex. I doubt he says "Mr. Biden" in every single mention of the current president.

And, by the way, what if she is a total phony? She's not running to be my friend. And, if she's going to win the presidential phoniness sweepstakes, she needs to catch up. She's competing against Biden who appropriated Neil Kinnock's family history and lied about being an academic super star, Bush Sr. who went on and on about loving pork rinds, and Ronald Reagan, who fantasized in public about being a WWII combat veteran.

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2024 2:11 AM

[quote] It will open too much of when you did you know about the presidents health.

That issue is not going to go away. It is a legitimate question.

[quote]it’s more defendable with Biden still in office as the president.

Not if he continues to fuck up.

Maybe it's better to tear off that band-aid now and get it over with.

by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2024 2:11 AM

Excellent post r31, bravo!

by Anonymousreply 33July 24, 2024 2:14 AM

I think we'll see the old Joe tomorrow night. And he's going to go maximum overdrive over the next 5 months, even if he has to do executive orders.

After all, the President is a dictator now, right?

by Anonymousreply 34July 24, 2024 2:20 AM

The last time President Biden was seen was last week when he was climbing the stairs to the plane to Delaware and he looked like he was about to keel over. He also looked painfully thin. I read yesterday that the Secret Service had to pick him up and place him in the car when they landed.

by Anonymousreply 35July 24, 2024 2:24 AM

Not happening because it’s a terrible idea, fantastical.

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2024 2:25 AM

R8 Oh honey. Facebook? FACEBOOK?

by Anonymousreply 37July 24, 2024 2:27 AM

If he makes the address sitting down in the Oval Office, I rest my case.

by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2024 2:29 AM

She reminds me of every devious ineffective female corporate executive I've ever had to work with in my career.

R8 So for which airline were you a flight attendant?

by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2024 2:35 AM

[quote]She does not seem genuine.

Gee, what gives you that impression?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 24, 2024 2:41 AM

[quote]If he makes the address sitting down in the Oval Office, I rest my case.

Biden is still recovering from Covid (though has tested negative). He'll probably be sitting down.

by Anonymousreply 41July 24, 2024 2:42 AM

[quote]I think there is a good chance he may resign under duress.

You think wrong.

by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2024 2:43 AM

R41 It certainly is a good excuse. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, this time.

by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2024 2:50 AM

[Quote]If he makes the address sitting down in the Oval Office, I rest my case.

As opposed to the traditional way the president addresses the nation (speedwalking around the rose garden)?

by Anonymousreply 44July 24, 2024 2:57 AM

This would be a disaster! Believe it or not, someone does actually have to run the country. Campaigning while doing that is hard enough, but suddenly becoming President without any transition time would be crazy!

by Anonymousreply 45July 24, 2024 3:01 AM

Thank you, R44. Saved my effort, which was much ruder than yours!

by Anonymousreply 46July 24, 2024 3:06 AM

A small subset of this board has this need to create the most moronic, fantastical nonsense and then cling to it like Rose on the headboard after Titanic sunk.

by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2024 3:08 AM

If he resigns, Congress has to approve the new VP. Think about that.

by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2024 3:25 AM

that would limit Kamala to one term.

by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2024 3:37 AM

The Six Month President

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2024 3:38 AM

I'm 3rd in line...

by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2024 3:44 AM

R45 LBJ did it.

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2024 3:45 AM

R49, no it doesn’t. If the replacement doesn’t serve more two years then they can run for a full two terms. That’s why LBJ could have run a second time, even though he decided not to.

It’s still not going to happen, but Kamala could run for a full two terms if it did.

by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2024 3:46 AM

Wait, somebody thinks he he has to stand behind the desk in the Oval Office to deliver his speech? Or else he's impaired?

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2024 3:46 AM

R45 AND he continued the push for civil rights because "that's what Jack wanted."

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2024 3:50 AM

R6

LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2024 3:51 AM

thanks r53. I didn't know that. You're why I come here.

by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2024 4:02 AM

He's not going to resign, what the hell would Jill do with herself for the next 6 months lol?

I kid (somewhat)....he's got plenty of competent staff and others around him in the WH to assist him with carrying on, even if he's frailer than usual. He'll be there until January, unless something catastrophic happens.

by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2024 3:16 PM

Something catastrophic will happen. Trump will be reelected.

by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2024 3:34 PM

And Joe could die r59. You don’t know that anymore than the rest of us.

Y’all, tune out people who are telling you that they know the outcome of this election. Don’t believe that — no one knows.

by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2024 3:43 PM

I don't believe he's so far gone he can't properly finish out his term. He'd know if it was so bad he couldn't do the job and I think he's decent enough he wouldn't try. I don't think Jill would have supported him in it. Or the key staff. If he was so far gone he couldn't do it, the rest of them will be very poorly remembered by history and who wants that for themselves? I think he really believed he had the smarts and stamina to carry on. Maybe he did. We'll never know. The perception overtook the facts (which I think support the idea he might manage awhile longer but there was fair basis to question if he could perform for another four years.) Trump, on the other hand, would cling on, enabled and who could tell if he's lost his marbles or not?

by Anonymousreply 61July 24, 2024 3:52 PM

He won't resign. He'll likely just talk about everything he accomplished in his time in office and thank the American people or something like that. Then he'll pivot to promoting Kamala's campaign.

by Anonymousreply 62July 24, 2024 4:18 PM

If I was Joe Biden, I'd have a Howard Beale moment and tell Nancy Pelosi, George Clooney, Rob Reiner and other high ranking Democratic Party officials/contributors to go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 63July 24, 2024 4:30 PM

No way he resigns. Ridiculous MAGA talking point.

by Anonymousreply 64July 24, 2024 4:30 PM

[quote] If I was Joe Biden, I'd have a Howard Beale moment and tell Nancy Pelosi, George Clooney, Rob Reiner and other high ranking Democratic Party officials/contributors to go fuck themselves.

He already did that when he endorsed Harris. That was not the plan.

by Anonymousreply 65July 24, 2024 4:39 PM

R65 😳 😱 Did he pull an Alex Levy from the Morning Show. Tell me you are lying. lol that would make this shit interesting as fuck and great material for a political book.

Did you just type that or is it based on some reality. I love DL. Best tea ever.

by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2024 4:44 PM

It’s been reported on MSNBC. Pelosi didn’t endorse Harris until Monday; Schumer and Jeffries until Tuesday. Obama still hasn’t. Do the math.

by Anonymousreply 67July 24, 2024 5:06 PM

I have not seen any report that stated Biden was not expected to endorse anyone including his own VP which would make him a motherfucker and badass as fuck. Who said that on MSNBC? That is a huge deal.

by Anonymousreply 68July 24, 2024 5:09 PM

Kamala doesn't seem like a serious person. I can't see her as president. She says goofy things about shit like Vinn diagrams and then laughs manically. Her constant maniacal laugh is bizarre. Her word salads. She doesn't come off as unlikeable to me just silly and goofy. I could be friends with her but I don't see her as president.

by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2024 5:34 PM

We don't see you as President either r69, my friends don't "see" me as President but so? Harris has all the bona fides, experience and qualifications needed.

by Anonymousreply 70July 24, 2024 5:37 PM

R69 Fah sho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 24, 2024 5:37 PM

Trump says goofy shit about sharks, Hannibal Lecter, Covfefe, and low-flow toilets. Word salads. He gives childish nicknames to all his opponents. He doesn't seem like a serious person. Plus he's a felon and a rapist.

by Anonymousreply 72July 24, 2024 5:45 PM

R69 troll for brains

by Anonymousreply 73July 24, 2024 5:49 PM

R69 is a troll who also has no imagination. They might also be a bot. They posted the same fucking post on several threads. I wouldn’t have noticed except r71 referenced their post. I have the troll blocked.

by Anonymousreply 74July 24, 2024 5:49 PM

4 POTUS served out their terms without a Vice President.

by Anonymousreply 75July 24, 2024 5:51 PM

Anytime someone likes to comment on Kamala’s presidential material just name one of the 4 dozen ridiculous lies, gaffes, or wack humor that Trump has employed over the past decade. There are numerous. I can make a thread if you guys like. When people talk about “cancellation” if Trump was anything other than a rich white man he would have been canceled a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 76July 24, 2024 5:53 PM

Agreed r74. Possibly a bot.

by Anonymousreply 77July 24, 2024 5:54 PM

Why would bots bother with us?

by Anonymousreply 78July 24, 2024 5:57 PM

r69 = troll

by Anonymousreply 79July 24, 2024 6:17 PM

r69 is also:

*JD Vance calls Kamala Harris a miserable, childless cat lady*

[quote]There is a lot that will come out about her. There is a whole book about how bad she is. It's Called Amateur Hour. She goes through staff like crazy. She was not serious about being the VP—her rise to high office through Willie Brown. She is more progressive than Bernie Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 80July 24, 2024 6:19 PM

[quote]Kamala doesn't seem like a serious person.

Ya think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 24, 2024 6:21 PM

Trump is the most unpresidential candidate of all time. He mocked a disabled man at a rally in which he was defending his lie that hundreds of thousands of Muslims in north Jersey cheered while the twin towers collapse. People need to talk about this shit constantly.

I remember 2016. MSNBC tried to hold his feet to fire but those cunts at CNN and their fkin both sidisms made it impossible. You gotta remember CNN was still known as the “neutral nonpartisan” of the major 3 cable news. CNN operated like stealth Fox News in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 82July 24, 2024 6:29 PM

I am not a troll or a bot. just because I don't agree 100% with you, so many of here are so childish. I don't want Trump but I do want to look at other candidates among the Democrats. I would rather have Mark Kelly as president than Kamala. Mark Kelly is moderate and more to my democratic leanings. He won't put men in women's spaces or sports.

by Anonymousreply 83July 24, 2024 6:38 PM

R83 and if Kamala plans to do so or at least states so publicly she will not be the next president.

by Anonymousreply 84July 24, 2024 6:40 PM

[quote]I would rather have Mark Kelly as president than Kamala.

Well, Kamala's going to be the nominee so what's the point of your constant disparagement of her?

by Anonymousreply 85July 24, 2024 6:43 PM

[quote]He won't put men in women's spaces or sports.

Of course you aren't a troll, r83.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 24, 2024 6:57 PM

He can't resign. If Kamala were president now, Mike Johnson would be next in line. She would NEVER be able to get her choice for VP through Congress before the election.

by Anonymousreply 87July 24, 2024 7:10 PM

Fer christsakes. He's not resigning. Nor should he. In less than a week, he's become one of the most beloved presidents in history. Doesn't matter what the insane GOP thinks, he's staying president and it will only help us win the election.

by Anonymousreply 88July 24, 2024 7:22 PM

[quote]In less than a week, he's become one of the most beloved presidents in history.

You're wrong about that.

538 average of polls July 24th: Biden approval: 38.3%

He has been one of the least liked Presidents in American history.

by Anonymousreply 89July 24, 2024 7:31 PM

R84 she has already stated her pronouns and intends to push the LGBtqustuve. I want to see some rules for the trans movement and I'm not interested in Gays losing their rights but trans should lose women's rights for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 90July 24, 2024 8:08 PM

[quote]Pelosi didn’t endorse Harris until Monday; Schumer and Jeffries until Tuesday. Obama still hasn’t. Do the math.

Okay: Obama hasn't endorsed Harris because there's lingering animosity – on both sides – between him & Biden over Obama effectively forcing him out of even consideration for a run in 2016 in favor of Hillary. He also doesn't have any sort of relationship with Harris: I'm not even sure if they've *met*, given that she was elected as senator in 2016, and before that was California's governor & AG.

Obama also didn't endorse anyone last time – even Biden – until after the DNC.

Happy?

by Anonymousreply 91July 24, 2024 8:50 PM

Now doesn't matter much to history. Give Joe time. He'll be beloved.

by Anonymousreply 92July 24, 2024 9:52 PM

It was announced that President Biden will give the address tonight from the Oval Office. I told you he would be sitting down. Poor Joe is pretty bad off, I fear.

by Anonymousreply 93July 24, 2024 10:05 PM

[quote]Now doesn't matter much to history. Give Joe time. He'll be beloved.

Not after November.

by Anonymousreply 94July 24, 2024 10:08 PM

[quote] 538 average of polls July 24th: Biden approval: 38.3%

The partisan divide is so toxic that almost 100% of Republicans are going to disapprove of a Democratic President no matter what. Add the Democrats and independents who think he’s too old, and he’s going to have a low approval rating. But historians will have the final word, and they rate him highly.

by Anonymousreply 95July 24, 2024 10:11 PM

I take it this is the official thread.

[quote]It was announced that President Biden will give the address tonight from the Oval Office.

r93 and?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 24, 2024 10:14 PM

R93 - why would he stand in the Oval Office?

by Anonymousreply 97July 24, 2024 10:14 PM

[quote]It was all expertly planned and timed.

Nothing about the Democratic Party is expertly planned.

by Anonymousreply 98July 24, 2024 10:18 PM

This entire thread is a disinformation fever dream. You all need to quit responding because we have 104 more days to go and everyone's gonna burn out with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 99July 24, 2024 10:19 PM

<- This time it is. Biden has run a tight ship, few if any leaks. Few if any personnel changes or scandals. A class act.

And it's said that they have in place an awesome mechanism to prevent voter fraud. If every vote is counted Kamala will win in a landslide.

by Anonymousreply 100July 24, 2024 10:21 PM

[quote]But historians will have the final word, and they rate him highly.

They'll be busy rewriting history.

by Anonymousreply 101July 24, 2024 10:22 PM

[quote]You all need to quit responding

Don't you just love censorship queen hall monitors like R99?

WTF are you doing on a discussion board? It's an election year. DL will be filled with threads about the run-up to the election.

If it's all too much for you, you can stick to the threads about Meghan Markle.

by Anonymousreply 102July 24, 2024 10:28 PM

The only only only thing I’m gna miss about a Trump presidency. They only only little smudget of a thing that will suck about him losing.

Is not hearing Melania read another one of Michelle Obama’s excellent speeches.

by Anonymousreply 103July 24, 2024 10:28 PM

He wasn't that great a senator. He made so many racist remarks. I started watching some black people's blogs and they were showing video after video of racist remarks. He said (during the integration of schools) that a black kid would have to sit next to my blue-eyed blond-haired son to learn anything. He has said a lot of shit like that. He said he couldn't go to a 7/11 because he didn't have an Indian accent. In one video someone asked him about a remark he made that was racist he started screaming that he didn't have racist bone in his body.

by Anonymousreply 104July 24, 2024 10:34 PM

[quote]The only only only thing I’m gna miss about a Trump presidency. They only only little smudget of a thing that will suck about him losing. Is not hearing Melania read another one of Michelle Obama’s excellent speeches.

Well, if Kamala gets the Presidency maybe well hear more of her absurd stories directly ripped off from Martin Luther king:

MLK Playboy interview 1965:

“I will never forget a moment in Birmingham when a White policeman accosted a little Negro girl, seven or eight years old, who was walking in a demonstration with her mother,” King told the magazine. “‘What do you want?’ the policeman asked her gruffly, and the little girl looked at him straight in the eye and answered, ‘Fee-dom,'” he continued. “She couldn’t even pronounce it, but she knew."

Sound familiar?

by Anonymousreply 105July 24, 2024 10:36 PM

[QUOTE]some black people's blogs

Oh, Jesus wept. Can't you at least try a little bit harder?

by Anonymousreply 106July 24, 2024 10:53 PM

Partly because he is so cute. Go past the trump part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 24, 2024 10:58 PM

[quote]I started watching some black people’s blogs

Was this one of them R104?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 24, 2024 11:01 PM

Perhaps you should get out of your bubble. I have been checking out what regular people are saying and not the elite MSNBC talking heads. She has a very hard climb to win this.

by Anonymousreply 109July 24, 2024 11:07 PM

R109’s “regular people” focus group

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 24, 2024 11:19 PM

Great link, r109. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 111July 24, 2024 11:20 PM

R109 has been visiting Iowa diners to check in with the real people of America!

by Anonymousreply 112July 24, 2024 11:37 PM

So is this the official thread?

by Anonymousreply 113July 24, 2024 11:53 PM

r113 see r96

by Anonymousreply 114July 24, 2024 11:55 PM

Watch him pardon Hunter AND Trump.

That would pull the rug out under Trump and his "persecuted" schtick.

by Anonymousreply 115July 24, 2024 11:56 PM

he's live

by Anonymousreply 116July 25, 2024 12:03 AM

I love you, Joe.

by Anonymousreply 117July 25, 2024 12:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 25, 2024 12:03 AM

He sounds so weak and feeble but great message.

by Anonymousreply 119July 25, 2024 12:03 AM

Where have posters gotten the idea that Presidents don't use the Oval Office to address the nation and that the don't sit at the Resolute desk? Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 120July 25, 2024 12:04 AM

If I didn't know, I'd think he has Parkinson's

by Anonymousreply 121July 25, 2024 12:05 AM

"The sacred cause of this country is larger than any one of us."

by Anonymousreply 122July 25, 2024 12:05 AM

He is not resigning. Poor Joe!

by Anonymousreply 123July 25, 2024 12:06 AM

He's not resigning, MAGA fuckers

by Anonymousreply 124July 25, 2024 12:06 AM

Calling for Supreme Court reform

by Anonymousreply 125July 25, 2024 12:06 AM

I wonder what brand of watch he's wearing.

by Anonymousreply 126July 25, 2024 12:07 AM

He's out of it.

by Anonymousreply 127July 25, 2024 12:07 AM

R127 he’s tripping over his words a lot and it sounds like his dentures/teeth aren’t fitting quite right. It hurts me to see this.

by Anonymousreply 128July 25, 2024 12:09 AM

He's in it enough

by Anonymousreply 129July 25, 2024 12:09 AM

I like that picture of Hunter with his son on his shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 130July 25, 2024 12:10 AM

The idea of him resigning was so stupid. He sounds finr and it’s a very good speech.

by Anonymousreply 131July 25, 2024 12:12 AM

Despite his delivery, this is a great speech.

by Anonymousreply 132July 25, 2024 12:12 AM

This is a gracious speech.

by Anonymousreply 133July 25, 2024 12:12 AM

Yeah, it was good he got out.

He's benefitting Kamala so much by this, because she is such a vibrant contrast to him.

by Anonymousreply 134July 25, 2024 12:13 AM

I am ready for Patti Smith to start singing "PEOPLE HAVE THE POWERRRRRRRRR"

by Anonymousreply 135July 25, 2024 12:13 AM

Excellent.

by Anonymousreply 136July 25, 2024 12:13 AM

Short but sweet

by Anonymousreply 137July 25, 2024 12:13 AM

"I revere this office but I love my country more."

by Anonymousreply 138July 25, 2024 12:13 AM

Troops? I thought we weren’t at war?

by Anonymousreply 139July 25, 2024 12:14 AM

That was a good speech. Yeah, he stumbled a bit, but his message was strong.

by Anonymousreply 140July 25, 2024 12:14 AM

Don’t focus on his speaking skills ; Joe is a man of action, and not a bullshitter, like Dump. God Bless our President!

by Anonymousreply 141July 25, 2024 12:14 AM

His dream came true and he did an outstanding job.

by Anonymousreply 142July 25, 2024 12:15 AM

R139 - we always have troops

by Anonymousreply 143July 25, 2024 12:15 AM

He didn't say why he stepped down.

by Anonymousreply 144July 25, 2024 12:15 AM

Uh, we still have a military and people serving in it, r139 .....

by Anonymousreply 145July 25, 2024 12:15 AM

That was a good speech.

by Anonymousreply 146July 25, 2024 12:16 AM

We do? I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 147July 25, 2024 12:16 AM

Honestly, bless him, his health and the rest of his presidential tenure; I can’t even listen to and watch him speak live on TV anymore, because I’m afraid he just might keel over at any time before our eyes. I think he’s doing the appreciated right thing, and that Kamala will now help re-energize the Democratic Party and its optics.

by Anonymousreply 148July 25, 2024 12:16 AM

"Nothing, nothing can come in the way of saving our democracy — that includes personal ambition.

So, I’ve decided the best way forward is to pass the torch to a new generation. That’s the best way to unite our nation."

by Anonymousreply 149July 25, 2024 12:17 AM

I hope folks pay close attention to the message he delivered, and not the delivery. Save that shit for Dump and his simpleminded followers.

by Anonymousreply 150July 25, 2024 12:17 AM

Biden resigning will cause a major problem in Congress because the Republicans will block any attempt to appoint a VP for the remainder of the term. Republicans only mode of governing is obstruction of any valid democratic governing processes, even if it harms the people and the country.

However, Biden resigning now will given Harris the opportunity to be president for close to 4 months, given her the additional important incumbency factor. But I do not see that as an option with the Insane Clown Posse Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 151July 25, 2024 12:17 AM

[quote]I hope folks pay close attention to the message he delivered

He said it was time to pass the torch to a younger generation.

He just figured that out last Sunday??

What bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 152July 25, 2024 12:19 AM

Mighty Joe passed the torch.

Now it’s up to us to save the republic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 25, 2024 12:19 AM

I cried, and very much didn't expect to.

It felt like a hero dying on the field.

by Anonymousreply 154July 25, 2024 12:19 AM

That was a strong speech. And I'm glad Biden didn't resign as rumoured. On balance, I think it's best for Kamala to have some time as the candidate rather than going straight to the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 155July 25, 2024 12:19 AM

He’s not going to resign. He gets to be President for six more months. THE END.

by Anonymousreply 156July 25, 2024 12:20 AM

Suspicious. Just 5 mos. ago...

My post will be followed by 8 people shouting, "My grandmother went from aerobics teacher to drooling vegetable in 6 mos. It happens!".

No, it doesn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 25, 2024 12:21 AM

Is being Vice President really that much of a dud. I would be elated to have served 12 years in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 158July 25, 2024 12:22 AM

[quote]He wasn't that great a senator. He made so many racist remarks.

You mean back in the '70s, after serving as a public defender defending mostly young men of color? Or maybe, just maybe, whatever you saw was either distorted or manipulated to make you think something false is true?

Just a thought, hon, but you need to let it go. Shit he said a HALF-CENTURY ago is irrelevant, unless you want to delve into the fact that nearly EVERY Democrat in D.C. maintained their "marriage is between a man and a woman" bullshit until BIDEN pushed Obama into "reconsidering" his views. (Along with every other Beltway Democrat not named Kucinich.)

by Anonymousreply 159July 25, 2024 12:25 AM

I loved his speech but we all know that he's not stepping down because he had some kind of epiphany that it's time for the next generation to take the lead. We all know. He sad there and said "I told you I would never lie to you" and then he lies, at least by omission. We all know. I really love him but I wish he would have come out and said "My health is beginning to fail and it breaks my heart but I need to bow out and allow the next generation to take the wheel." The vagueness of it all feels confusing and weird.

Otherwise, wonderful, classy speech. I feel all kinds of emotions right now. Joe sure did bring a long of heart and decency back to the office of the presidency. America is almost too fucked up to deserve such a fatherly and kind president. Thank God Biden reset the bar for presidential decorum quite high after Trump lowered it to the ground. I will be forever grateful we all banded together in 2020 and got Joe elected. I'm grateful for his service.

I hope Joe is okay. It can't feel good to feel hobbled by old age and cognitive decline, and called out for it so publicly. It has to be a bit of a mindfuck and heartfuck. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 160July 25, 2024 12:26 AM

[quote]Biden resigning will cause a major problem in Congress because the Republicans will block any attempt to appoint a VP for the remainder of the term. Republicans only mode of governing is obstruction of any valid democratic governing processes, even if it harms the people and the country.

Um, it's over. He didn't resign. And he isn't resigning.

Let. It. Go.

by Anonymousreply 161July 25, 2024 12:27 AM

[quote]Suspicious. Just 5 mos. ago... My post will be followed by 8 people shouting, "My grandmother went from aerobics teacher to drooling vegetable in 6 mos. It happens!". No, it doesn't.

Yes it does, bitch. Stfu about stuff you know jack shit about.

by Anonymousreply 162July 25, 2024 12:27 AM

[quote]I loved his speech but we all know that he's not stepping down because he had some kind of epiphany that it's time for the next generation to take the lead. We all know.

No, *you* know, and I'm guessing you're the OP who's been pushing this bullshit. Back in the reality-based world, Biden never planned to step down.

There was no "epiphany."

There was no change.

This was always how it would happen.

Fin.

by Anonymousreply 163July 25, 2024 12:28 AM

Honestly I’m really saddened. He was so strong at the SOTU In January. I wondered if he does have an illness, because he’s really deteriorated in the last six months.

by Anonymousreply 164July 25, 2024 12:31 AM

[quote]I really love him but I wish he would have come out and said "My health is beginning to fail and it breaks my heart but I need to bow out and allow the next generation to take the wheel."

He's not leaving because his health is failing. He still believes he could serve another term. He said he would withdraw from the race if there was data that he couldn't win and someone else could. That's what happened.

by Anonymousreply 165July 25, 2024 12:31 AM

I am so happy he didn't go on longer, because I expected to dissolve in a puddle of tears; now I'm only red-nosed and teary.

What a great man, and I still pinch myself that we got it right in 2020. I don't think it hyperbolic to say Joe saved this country.

by Anonymousreply 166July 25, 2024 12:31 AM

There are already people posting on Twitter that it wasn't Joe, that it was a fake or AI, and that Biden must be dead. Citing the lack of a wedding ring, but frankly, I'm not sure he even wears one.

by Anonymousreply 167July 25, 2024 12:32 AM

[quote]There are already people posting on Twitter that it wasn't Joe, that it was a fake or AI, and that Biden must be dead.

There is a mental health crisis in this country.

by Anonymousreply 168July 25, 2024 12:34 AM

He also just had COVID. I’m fully vaccinated, in good shape, and no where near my 70s but it laid me flat out for a week and I wasn’t fully back to normal for another week or more.

by Anonymousreply 169July 25, 2024 12:34 AM

I suspect that Biden may have had a few scattered minor incidents over he last few months where he was slow in reflexes or had an issue with focusing on complicated issues. I think this is a new emerging situation for him that we observed during the debate, which may have been the most obvious incident because he was sick, tires and under stress. I do not think he is in cognitive decline, he's just aging and noticeable slower. He can probably still talk circles around anybody when it comes to foreign and domestic policy, but he will do it in slow motion.

by Anonymousreply 170July 25, 2024 12:34 AM

Yes they went to the trouble of using AI to fake Biden but forgot the wedding ring. Sounds like typical QANON nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 171July 25, 2024 12:35 AM

He’s too sick and selfish to resign.

by Anonymousreply 172July 25, 2024 12:37 AM

Love your post r160 💛🧡

by Anonymousreply 173July 25, 2024 12:38 AM

Whatever, R172.

by Anonymousreply 174July 25, 2024 12:39 AM

Biden can get a lot done in 6 months especially because Harris is in a sense his protege. They can make policy together which gives him more power than the usual lame duck. I hope he exercises his powers to the fullest.

by Anonymousreply 175July 25, 2024 12:44 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 25, 2024 12:45 AM

R172 = OP (just guessing)

by Anonymousreply 177July 25, 2024 12:45 AM

[quote] I really love him but I wish he would have come out and said "My health is beginning to fail and it breaks my heart but I need to bow out and allow the next generation to take the wheel." The vagueness of it all feels confusing and weird.

R160, Maura he doesn’t believe that his health is failing and he honestly chose to step aside because he, as he’s said all along he would do, was convinced that he no longer had the best chance of beating Trump. You can know what you think, you can know what others say they think, but you do not know what he actually thinks. The “truth” is reality considered through the eyeglass of perception, so he may be telling what he believes to be the truth.

Besides, if he did in fact think as you claim, to so say would to immediately open Kamala open attacks from the right and the far left accusing her of being a part of a coverup with the Biden family to maintain the reins of power, which I definitely do not believe is true.

by Anonymousreply 178July 25, 2024 12:47 AM

I'm reading comments on r/politics and it seems like the consensus over there is that the Dems were playing 4d chess all along to pull the rug out from under the GOP after their convention. Not saying Joe wanted to withdraw, but I think they had "the talk" with him right after the debate so that they could start the wheels in motion and pull this off so seamlessly.

by Anonymousreply 179July 25, 2024 12:54 AM

VOTE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 25, 2024 12:55 AM

[quote]I'm reading comments on r/politics and it seems like the consensus over there is that the Dems were playing 4d chess all along to pull the rug out from under the GOP after their convention.

Isn't the "consensus" there also that Trump was playing "4D chess" throughout his presidency?

by Anonymousreply 181July 25, 2024 12:58 AM

I've wondered it myself, r179. But the number of people, organization, and coordination necessary to pull it off would be superhuman. Not to mention the discipline to keep it all under wraps. Though, I must say this WH has been pretty leak proof and discreet.

by Anonymousreply 182July 25, 2024 1:00 AM

R179, it is entirely irrelevant – in the reality-based world – if Biden did anything of the sort. The opposing party here is VASTLY more extreme than the Dems, in every respect. See case in point, Mitch McConnell – who btw is still a sitting senator despite literally FREEZING in place multiple times – who sat on Merrick Garland's SCOTUS nomination for nearly a full year *and* rushed through Amy Coney Barrett's nom before the 2020 election. Also see what was likely a huge cover-up of Trump being reasonably close to death after catching Covid.

I don't think this was in any way planned, but if it was, this is a bad thing ... how, exactly? Do you seriously think the American public feels "conned"? Or are Republicans simply being their typical bitchy/whiny/pouty selves after being outmaneuvered?

by Anonymousreply 183July 25, 2024 1:03 AM

Yea, what’s going on with Mitch? He’s not in the public eye at all. Use to be you couldn’t turn on the news and not see his mouth flapping.

Is he gonna pull a Dianne Feinstein, and stay until he croaks

by Anonymousreply 184July 25, 2024 1:23 AM

[quote]Yea, what’s going on with Mitch?

Being roundly booed at his own party’s convention sent him into a tailspin. He’s persona non grata with both parties now.

by Anonymousreply 185July 25, 2024 1:26 AM

Mitch has turned into another Diane Feinstein.

by Anonymousreply 186July 25, 2024 1:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 25, 2024 2:16 AM

I tried to watch but couldn’t bear it-bullshit. Any decent democrat nomination could have won Trump in 2020. Biden was always a risky-bad idea and down hill ever since. A great American yes-but he may be why Trump has more followers now than ever. Even with Harris we could still easily lose to dump/hitler.

by Anonymousreply 188July 25, 2024 2:31 AM

R185-It was nice to hear McConnell get booed-POS

by Anonymousreply 189July 25, 2024 2:33 AM

R188, it would seem your quarrel is with the 2020 Democratic primary voters, who chose him as the nominee. Any of a number of Democrats may have been able to beat an incumbent President, even one as bad as Trump, but none of them were able to beat Biden in the primaries, thus why he was the nominee.

by Anonymousreply 190July 25, 2024 2:51 AM

OP, you thought he was resigning?

JFC.

by Anonymousreply 191July 25, 2024 3:19 AM

[quote] Okay: Obama hasn't endorsed Harris because there's lingering animosity – on both sides – between him & Biden over Obama effectively forcing him out of even consideration for a run in 2016 in favor of Hillary. He also doesn't have any sort of relationship with Harris: I'm not even sure if they've *met*, given that she was elected as senator in 2016, and before that was California's governor & AG.

????

"Wonder Twin powers, ACTIVATE!!!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 25, 2024 3:25 AM

Obama was giving Kamala the side-eye at Biden's inauguration. You could tell he wanted to hit that.

by Anonymousreply 193July 25, 2024 3:35 AM

"Any decent democrat nomination could have won Trump in 2020."

I sent Biden $100 I couldn't afford in 2020. Nobody believed in him and they were literally begging for money. Things slowly got better but no one thought he could beat Trump. Especially the hillbillies who didn't bother to vote because Trump was going to crush that pathetic old man. Thanks, Deplorables!

by Anonymousreply 194July 25, 2024 3:42 AM

R163 I'm not the OP, and I'm not sure what "shit" I'm meant to be pushing. I said I love Biden and I loved the speech. All I said that could in any way be construed as "negative" was that the man was forced by outside forces to stop running for a second term and instead of saying "people are worried about my health" or "I'm getting old and I hadn't stopped to realize because I've been so busy running the country," he says "I feel it's time to pass the torch to the next generation." I'm paraphrasing all of this but you get my point. He was vague about why he was really stepping down. And I was simply saying, we all know why, so why the tapdance? He was forced to step down because he had a terrible showing at the debate and it freaked everybody out. I understand he is trying to be positive and keep it clean and not get bogged down in pettiness, but we all know that it has been his cognitive health, and not the spirit of passing the torch, that led us to tonight's speech. And I just feel a little funny about the speech dancing around that reality.

Again, I"m not the OP. I'm just a joe blow adding my two cents. I have no agenda other than to vote and keep Trump out of the White House by any means possible.

by Anonymousreply 195July 25, 2024 4:13 AM

R195, I’m not that poster and you are correct that the Democrats reacted to what they perceive as a noticeable diminution in his vigor but he might not still believe that he’s actually diminished so the reality he’s supposed to be dancing around might be what he perceives.

Lots of people, including himself, perceive Trump to be a strong man, the model of alpha masculinity but that’s mot what I perceive as reality. Reality is not something as easily known and agreed upon as you seem to think it is.

by Anonymousreply 196July 25, 2024 4:20 AM

R196 All of what you say makes sense, but the fact still remains that for whatever reason, Biden is dropping out, against his will. And yet by the sound of his speech you'd think it was his bright idea and that he's fully on board with it all. And I feel weird feelings about him whitewashing over the situation and acting like this is a decision coming from his logic mind. Cuz the reality is that he was forced to quit the race. The tapdancing is him pretending he wants to do this for some noble reason that has meaning for him and that he believes in. He didn't ever want to drop out.

It's not the end of the world, it's all just kind of awkward because we all know why he's really dropping out -- coercion.

by Anonymousreply 197July 25, 2024 4:48 AM

Y'all make me want to rip up my voting ballot like Nancy Pelosi's copy of the SOTU address. All this 'Viciousness' in the kitchen! - potatoes hiss" nonsense bickering makes me want to take to the bed.

by Anonymousreply 198July 25, 2024 5:21 AM

R198, The noble reason is the polls showing he was going to lose and take many Dems down with him. When he leaves office he can do an interview and explain that in more detail. He still thinks he can do the job so dropping out is a sacrifice in a way.

by Anonymousreply 199July 25, 2024 5:33 AM

[quote] I sent Biden $100 I couldn't afford in 2020. Nobody believed in him and they were literally begging for money. Things slowly got better but no one thought he could beat Trump. Especially the hillbillies who didn't bother to vote because Trump was going to crush that pathetic old man.

This is revisionist bullshit. Everybody except the brainwashed MAGAts thought Biden could beat Trump in 2020. There was never any doubt. Even the Fox News hosts knew Biden would beat Trump, but they lied to their viewers because their viewers didn't want to hear the truth. Biden led Trump in every poll throughout the entire general election campaign. At no point did it ever look like Trump was going to win.

by Anonymousreply 200July 25, 2024 6:07 AM

[quote]He was vague about why he was really stepping down.

He wasn't vague at all. You just choose not to believe his stated reason.

by Anonymousreply 201July 25, 2024 10:55 AM

The opposition wants Biden to resign so that Harris has to jump in and be President, and all the pressure that entails, and she can't campaign nearly as vigorously if she's suddenly POTUS. They would love for that to happen.

The current situation is optimal for Harris. She can campaign full force from now to November.

by Anonymousreply 202July 25, 2024 11:04 AM

Trump was the incumbent president in 2020. The odds are always with the incumbency and it was his position to lose. Trump primarily lost because of his piss poor reaction and leadership during the pandemic. If he had been even a half decent president during 2020 he likely would have won.

by Anonymousreply 203July 25, 2024 11:18 AM

Biden is a hero for stepping aside and allowing this hopeful new plan to emerge. It has completely energized the base which was the desired result, and things feel VIBRANTLY positive. If we end up with someone of the caliber of a Mark Kelley as VP, I don't think anything can stop us.

Trump looks like the diaper dufus that he is. His assassination storyline is already a news article at the bottom of a birdcage. Melania visibly winces when Trump tries to kiss her. JD Vance is even more of an impotent, pathetic dufus than Ted Cruz, and the energy around that paring is stagnant and embarrasing. And now everyone knows that Trump regrets picking him as a running mate. That whole campaign is the biggest joke in America right now.

The entire Republican party look like stale, dorky, backwards asshats compared to us!

Thank you Joe for sacrificing personal goals for the greater good. What an ubermensch you are.

by Anonymousreply 204July 25, 2024 12:39 PM

[quote]but he may be why Trump has more followers now than ever.

Says who?

by Anonymousreply 205July 25, 2024 1:27 PM

Just plain "Mensch" has better connotations than Übermensch, R204 (post-1930s, anyway).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206July 25, 2024 2:52 PM

[quote]Biden is a hero for stepping aside and allowing this hopeful new plan to emerge.

Wrong.

Obama and Pelosi are the heroes by forcing him to step aside.

by Anonymousreply 207July 25, 2024 2:56 PM

[quote]He wasn't vague at all. You just choose not to believe his stated reason.

He was vague.

Merely saying that he wanted to pass the torch to a younger generation, doesn't cut it.

Just a day before, he was adamant that he was NOT stepping down. What made him suddenly make an abrupt turn on Sunday?

by Anonymousreply 208July 25, 2024 3:00 PM

I just watched it. I thought he looked really good. He was a bit difficult to understand in some bits though.

I thought it was a good speech and he said a lot of good things. I have very warm feelings for Biden. I know he said he wouldn't - but I would like to see him pardon Hunter so the Biden family can leave the White House with dignity and then go about their private lives with the time they have left together. Joe has earned it.

by Anonymousreply 209July 25, 2024 3:03 PM

[quote]Merely saying that he wanted to pass the torch to a younger generation, doesn't cut it.

Doesn't cut it with you.

Anyone who's been paying attention and isn't an amateur gerontologist knows that means, "It was proven to me that I had no path to victory."

by Anonymousreply 210July 25, 2024 3:39 PM

^ He had no path to victory but he decided that Kamala Harris does? Explain that one.

by Anonymousreply 211July 25, 2024 3:55 PM

Gladly, R211:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212July 25, 2024 3:57 PM

Not R211, but thank you, R212 -- I had not seen those stats yet. It's very exciting!

by Anonymousreply 213July 25, 2024 3:59 PM

Some of these assholes wanted Joe to come out and say “I can’t run anymore because I’m too old and feeble.” Are you fucking kidding me? If he said that, it would instantly engulf the White House and Democratic Party in a storm of controversy! There would be legitimate calls to have Joe removed by the 25th Amendment! Kamala would be inundated with questions wondering why she isn’t leading the charge to remove him. It’s the dumbest thing Joe could possibly do.

But these trolling GOP operatives in here want “Dems in Disarray,” so of course they’re upset that Joe didn’t come out and outright say it. They’re upset that Mighty Joe and the Dems finessed this shit into something positive when it could’ve been disastrous. I think they played it brilliantly, but I’m voting Democrat in November so that explains the difference.

by Anonymousreply 214July 25, 2024 4:02 PM

[quote]“I can’t run anymore because I’m too old and feeble.”

R214 If that statement is true, and we all know it is, then yes, I agree with you: calls to invoke the 25th Amendment are legitimate.

by Anonymousreply 215July 25, 2024 4:07 PM

^^Like I said, amateur gerontologist.

by Anonymousreply 216July 25, 2024 4:08 PM

R216 we don't need to be a gerontologist to see what is evident to anyone with a brain.

by Anonymousreply 217July 25, 2024 4:11 PM

[quote] If we end up with someone of the caliber of a Mark Kelley as VP, I don't think anything can stop us.

R204 If Kelly would sign on to support the PRO Act, which is one reason Harris may not pick him, all would be well. Also, he's butch, tough and and a former Navy astronaut. That should get the old people's vote.

by Anonymousreply 218July 25, 2024 4:35 PM

[QUOTE] If that statement is true

That statement is only partially true. Joe has the strength to carry out his duties as President. What he can’t do is carry out those duties while CAMPAIGNING for re-election. That’s the difference. And that’s why there’s no need for him to step down or be removed through the 25th Amendment. The issue has already been resolved. He can be the President full time without having to worry about anything else, save for the occasional rally and fundraiser to support Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 219July 25, 2024 4:40 PM

R214 Ya know, I tend to assume that I think I can speak freely on DL and just let off a little steam. To think out loud and bounce my thoughts around with my fellow men. And then there is always that one person who freaks out and wants to police the discourse and keep things censored and tidy. As though DL is a hugely important public forum and everything we say here has the ability to sway outcome and sabotage elections.

And I just want to tell that person - I want to tell YOU, R214 - that not everyone who DARES to observe the infinite nuances between black and white, and to speak those observations aloud, is is a "GOP Operative." I'm sure as fucking sure not one. I have voted Democrat in every election of my entire life. And yeah, though I ultimately support Joe and I understand why he is speaking in code a bit right now, between you, me and the lamp post, I have been feeling just a little bit gaslit by the emergence of this false narrative of Joe choosing from some profoundly intuitive place inside of himself, to step aside and have the next generation take the wheel.

I am entitled to feel my feelings. You do not get to police everyone's feelings or call anyone who doesn't follow your dance steps perfectly a Boris. It's so fucking anal rententive and controlling, bruh. Can you not see the irony of suppressing the free exchange of ideas as a means of promoting democracy? You need to unclench a little bit.

But the truth is, you are also absolutely right. What else is he supposed to say that wouldn't lead to a crisis of faith for the party? "Everyone is telling me that I am in a shockingly worrysome state of cognitive decline and my debate performance was panic-inducing, and they are forcing me to step aside"? Yeah. No.

Joe and his team are creating a great narrative, and it's all very classy, and I am very excited for the future. And I am very appreciative of all of the thought and care put into this moment by the Dems and Joe.

by Anonymousreply 220July 25, 2024 4:47 PM

It's a coupe d'etat with Kammie waiting in the wings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221July 25, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote] I am entitled to feel my feelings.

R220 [bold] [italic] Waa! Waa! Waa! Waa! [/italic] [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 222July 25, 2024 6:18 PM

[quote]That statement is only partially true. Joe has the strength to carry out his duties as President. What he can’t do is carry out those duties while CAMPAIGNING for re-election. That’s the difference. And that’s why there’s no need for him to step down or be removed through the 25th Amendment. The issue has already been resolved.

Exactly, not to mention the usual double standards for Democrats versus Repugs: Reagan was WAY worse off than Biden – who's merely displaying normal signs of aging, and nothing suggesting Alzheimer's or dementia – for most of his second term, but that hasn't stopped Republicans from lionizing him (albeit less nowadays among the Trumpist crew).

[quote]I have been feeling just a little bit gaslit by the emergence of this false narrative of Joe choosing from some profoundly intuitive place inside of himself, to step aside and have the next generation take the wheel.

R220, I truly don't think anyone – including Biden himself – thinks anything of the sort. Yes, it's valid to suggest (IMO) that Democrats wildly overreacted to his debate performance, and the near-immediate calls for him to bow out resulted in a self-fulfilling prophecy. OTOH it's also valid, whether you want to admit it or not, to note that the decision was entirely Biden's own, and that it's entirely possible to argue that Biden was effectively forced out, but also that it was necessary to give Democrats the best odds against Trump.

Moreover, this is in many ways a flashback to 2020. It wasn't at all clear until well into the primaries that the party would end up coalescing around Biden. Once they finally did so, they also effectively blocked both preferred progressive candidates – including my own choice, Elizabeth Warren, along with Bernie – from having any chance at the nomination, well *before* the electoral college outcome was clear. Plenty of "Bernie bros" were making the same argument back then, and I'd agree that he was effectively forced out by the Dems. At the same time I don't think he had any shot of beating Trump, plus we'd be in the same boat today: Bernie's almost 84, and even if he doesn't have as many verbal faux pas as Biden, there would still be reasonable concerns about him remaining president into his late 80s.

While it's reasonable to accusing the DNC of some degree of collusion, that doesn't necessarily mean a *bad* type of it.

by Anonymousreply 223July 25, 2024 6:54 PM

Public deference, private power: How Nancy Pelosi navigated the Biden withdrawal:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224July 25, 2024 8:29 PM

^ It's a shame she couldn't have done the same with Hillary in 2016.

I still remember after Hills lost how Pelosi & the other Congress leaders did a "I don't know her" after they were interviewed about the final election results.

by Anonymousreply 225August 3, 2024 7:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!