Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mayor Pete is open to being Kamala's VP pick!

Wow, that would be the most groundbreaking pairing in US Presidential history!

A Black/Indian female President and a Gay male Vice-President.

I think it could be a winner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600July 31, 2024 12:30 AM

Glad to see Rachel invited him on her show.

I remember four years ago, Dataloungers kept insisting that she hated him.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2024 4:12 AM

According to Jim Clyburn:

[quote]Clyburn discussed three governors contending to be Harris' running mate should she secure the Democratic nomination: Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear and North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2024 4:15 AM

He is the most competent to lead, but let's face a lot of people won't vote for a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2024 4:18 AM

"It's not yet time !" they said. Until it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2024 4:18 AM

Tired of Clyburn running his mouth.

LGBT rights are on the chopping block as well this election cycle. It’s imperative that the community stops relying on actions from straights and starts demanding top tier representation.

If not a VP slot, then a slot on the Supreme Court.

Buttigieg should be a contender. He has more than held his own alongside Republicans MANY times. The others have yet to prove themselves. We’re gonna ignore him because he’s gay?

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2024 4:21 AM

Which group of voters would he add to her vote that she doesn’t already have?

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2024 4:24 AM

[quote] Buttigieg should be a contender. He has more than held his own alongside Republicans MANY times. The others have yet to prove themselves. We’re gonna ignore him because he’s gay?

AGREED!

Any reason a person might give for not having Pete on the ticket, could be given for Kamala not being on the ticket.

He's gay.

Well, she's Black, Indian, and female.

So what's the difference?

It would be historic.

I think the country is ready for this.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2024 4:25 AM

Which would the others add?

They’re all in Tim Kaine territory

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2024 4:26 AM

Not going to happen. Mainstream America is not ready for Pete. I'm not sure if America is ready for a woman either mind you. We will see.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2024 4:27 AM

It would be a winner, but only on DL.

And no, it will not be happening. This is not that country, at least not yet.

It's stupid. It's silly. It's not fair. But yes, she will have to find a very conventional straight white guy to "offset" everything about her. Does it make any sense? In politics, yes, it sadly does.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2024 4:28 AM

No to Pete. Kamala needs to pick a straight white guy if she wants a fighting chance to win.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2024 4:29 AM

Do you even hear yourselves?

The Black/Indian female doesn't think the country is ready for a gay white male VP nom.

That's LUDICROUS.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2024 4:30 AM

I don't think he would deliver Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2024 4:34 AM

[quote] The Black/Indian female doesn't think the country is ready for a gay white male VP nom.

I think it is the presumptively gay participants in this discussion that don't think the country is ready for a gay white male VP. Trust us.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2024 4:38 AM

Yes, r14, we think the combination of a black woman who, well, rather suddenly became the nominee, combined with a gay VP candidate, might not be the absolute best combo right now. Yes, in dingbatville that's all fine and nobody can possibly object to any of it, but honestly, in reality, there will be enough objections to Kamala herself that it might be nice not to add difficulties right now.

I still think she can actually win this thing, but not by entertaining fantasies all over the place. And Pete has plenty of time himself to get what he wants, eventually.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2024 4:42 AM

Chasten is planning for Plan B if Pete loses the nomination and comes home angry.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2024 4:44 AM

[quote]Chasten is planning for Plan B if Pete loses the nomination and comes home angry.

Plan B: knocking the twins out with children's Benadryl, pre-lubing, and trying not to cry into his chocolate chip cookie batter.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2024 4:47 AM

I don't think it should be Shapiro, the Repubs and far left would use the Gaza thing as a distraction.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2024 4:53 AM

The Republican's dream ticket.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2024 6:16 AM

[quote]The Republican's dream ticket.

I want to add, not necessarily because of their demographics, but because anything that has failed under their watch is well-known and has been amplified already, far more than anyone else in the administration. The two of them together would be the easiest to portray as incompetent without having to start from scratch with someone less known nationally.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2024 6:21 AM

"An uppity black woman and a gay man. I LOVE THIS"------------Every Republican

I am a gay man. I will never vote for Pete. Ever. If Kamala is stupid enough to put him on the ticket she deserves to lose. Petes Kryptonite is WOMEN. They mop him up. Klobachar. Tulsi. Margaret Brennan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2024 6:24 AM

Pete is the Glen Powell of politics = He is trying way too hard and a little bit goes a long way. Overrated. Fake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2024 6:28 AM

[quote]Petes Kryptonite is WOMEN. They mop him up. Klobachar. Tulsi. Margaret Brennan.

It's nice to see a brainiac who thinks he's superior brought low.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2024 6:29 AM

r12 You're in la la land, sadly

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2024 6:32 AM

[quote]I don't think it should be Shapiro, the Repubs and far left would use the Gaza thing as a distraction.

How so?

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2024 6:33 AM

Pete takes all the credit for getting tough on the airlines when he was actually doing nothing to help passengers until the Congressional Progressive Caucus called him out. Specifically Ro Kanna (D-Ca).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2024 6:34 AM

[quote]Pete takes all the credit for getting tough on the airlines when he was actually doing nothing to help passengers until the Congressional Progressive Caucus called him out. Specifically Ro Kanna (D-Ca).

I saw in the article about the current Delta debacle that Pete spoke with the Delta CEO:

[quote]Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg spoke to Delta CEO Ed Bastian on Sunday about the airline’s high number of cancellations since Friday. Buttigieg said his agency had received “hundreds of complaints” about Delta, and he expects the airline to provide hotels and meals for travelers who are delayed and to issue quick refunds to customers who don’t want to be rebooked on a later flight.

However, it says that the CEO told his employees that he practically told Buttigieg to fuck off. There's no fear of Buttigieg.

[quote]Bastian said in a video for employees that he told Buttigieg, “You do not need to remind me. I know, because we do our very best, particularly in tough times, taking care of our customers.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2024 6:47 AM

Mrs Vance has a law degree. She raises three children. She works. Do we see any of that at Petes one bedroom apartment? Pete is just another snobby gay. He isn't the "future" of the Democratic Party. He doesn't do anything for the gay community. zilch.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2024 7:05 AM

Many black voters have a problem with Harris. Adding Buttigieg to the ticket would further diminish it. He is not at all popular with them.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2024 7:12 AM

[quote]I'm not sure if America is ready for a woman either mind you. We will see.

Hillary won the Popular Vote. America can handle a female president.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2024 7:13 AM

some of you have the pollyanna political rhetoric of crystal rainbow sparkle pony girleens

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2024 7:21 AM

[quote] A Black/Indian female President and a Gay male Vice-President. I think it could be a winner.

I wish I shared your optimism

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2024 7:26 AM

[quote]Many black voters have a problem with Harris.

Based on the response she's been getting over the past 2 days, Harris seems to be off to a very good start.

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2024 7:30 AM

[quote]Mayor Pete is open

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2024 7:41 AM

[quote]Mayor Pete is open to being Kamala's VP pick!

I'm sure others are as well. Andy Beshear was on Morning Joe yesterday and pretty said the same thing when asked.

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2024 8:40 AM

[quote]Many Black voters have a problem with Harris

Cut the bull shit and go to bed, MAGAbilly.

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2024 9:20 AM

I hear the Duchess of Sussex is angling for a Vicess position on the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2024 10:04 AM

I think it's going to be Mark Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2024 10:16 AM

Of course he is. When has he ever not been open to an unearned promotion?

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2024 10:20 AM

Rachel looks so fresh in that thumbnail, what's her secret? Under-eye concealer? Skin-tinted lip balm? Could it really be that simple?

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2024 10:28 AM

I doubt it would be Pete. I do think Pete would hand V.D. Vance his ass on a plate in a debate though.

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2024 10:36 AM

....now where are Geo Clooney and Obama on this? Surely they're not working behind the scenes to cancel Kamala as well???

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2024 10:44 AM

^ forgot to add I'm not American.

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2024 10:46 AM

He might want to try winning a state or federal office first.

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2024 11:02 AM

Not going to happen. She needs a hetrosexual ,white, married Midwestern family man over 45 to Garner the vote from certain demographics.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2024 11:03 AM

I have not heard any recent comments about whether Kamala and Pete are friendly. I do seem to recall Pete helped Kamala in her V.P. debate preparation against Mike Pence.

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2024 11:04 AM

I think she should tap Beto O’Rourke. He would really make JD look like the elitist jerk he is. GOP will resort to ridiculous attacks on him - like that he isn’t a serious enough guy because he skateboards.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2024 12:17 PM

[quote]I think she should tap Beto O’Rourke

BWAAAAH. Loser.

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2024 12:44 PM

[quote]It would be historic. I think the country is ready for this.

Which country in particular?

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2024 12:55 PM

He's 42. He's got a decade to build a track record, credibility and familiarity. He's smart, but so far, he's mostly talk. He needs a Senate seat and two elections to it.

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2024 1:00 PM

I would like to see Pete President one day but this election is too important for experimentation, we are already going to try to elect the first woman and first black woman and first Asian woman, I like Kamala but America has shown a reluctance to elect women, and even many women are reluctant to vote for women, I don't get it. Of course the Republicans are trying to elect the first convicted felon, but they don't care they are in love.

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2024 1:52 PM

Why does Rachel have to be so weird when someone asks her to call them by their first name?

He said he wasn't there as Transportation Secretary so just to call him Pete. Instead of just saying okay she had to make a big deal out of it. Something about I can't do that so I will just not call you anything. Grow up Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2024 1:57 PM

Would Kamala call Pete "that little gay boy?"

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2024 3:03 PM

[quote] Why does Rachel have to be so weird when someone asks her to call them by their first name?

Call me by your name, and I'll call you by mine.....

by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2024 3:04 PM

No. It needs to be Shapiro-

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2024 3:06 PM

[quote] Many black voters have a problem with Harris. Adding Buttigieg to the ticket would further diminish it. He is not at all popular with them.

No problem serious enough to prevent them from voting for Kamala for President. Never second guess Black people, they always unite behind Black candidates who are not sellouts.

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2024 3:17 PM

I would LOVE to have a black woman as president, & a gay man as vice president, but, let's face facts... We live in a country that's turning into an ultra right wing cesspool, we need a straight, white male as the Democratic nominee, anyone else is a vote for the Apricot Anti-Christ.

by Anonymousreply 57July 23, 2024 3:30 PM

SHAPIRO.

by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2024 3:50 PM

It's not the first time Pete has left his door wide open.....if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2024 4:06 PM

[quote] It's not the first time Pete has left his door wide open.....if you know what I mean.

[quote] —C

Bitch, I'm the top and you know it.

Now bend over and shut the fuck up!

by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2024 4:12 PM

[quote]No to Pete. Kamala needs to pick a straight white guy if she wants a fighting chance to win.

I heard a pundit say on MSNBC the other night that picking Pete for VP might not be a good idea because, with Kamala, that would be two people from the Biden administration on the ticket and it would be better to have it be someone from the outside.

by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2024 4:23 PM

Pete has never won a state office. Buttigieg can't even get elected Senator. ANYwhere. He sure isn't going on a VEEP ticket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2024 7:36 PM

Pete always looks like he's enjoying his butt plug just a little too much.

by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2024 7:37 PM

That's a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 64July 23, 2024 7:42 PM

[quote] Andy Beshear was on Morning Joe yesterday and pretty said the same thing when asked.

Andy is my pick for who will be the VP.

by Anonymousreply 65July 23, 2024 7:46 PM

Pete either fucks Chasten or lets Chasten fuck him. Either way, that's the kind of bad judgement we don't need on the ticket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2024 7:51 PM

[quote]R9 I'm not sure if America is ready for a woman either, mind you.

I’m depressed thinking how Hillary was the obvious choice between her and Mr. Trump before, yet she still didn’t win.

Have we changed that much?

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2024 8:04 PM

Two childless cat ladies

by Anonymousreply 68July 23, 2024 8:05 PM

[quote]He is the most competent to lead

He’s been incompetent at almost everything he’s done so far.

by Anonymousreply 69July 23, 2024 8:23 PM

We all can’t be perfect like him.

by Anonymousreply 70July 23, 2024 8:24 PM

I must admit, I've always wanted to be First Lady!

by Anonymousreply 71July 23, 2024 8:29 PM

R67 = I am with you. Hillary was way more qualified than Kamala. And she lost. I just see this being 2016 all over again. Biden won in 2020 partially because there was a pandemic and NOT a cure (at the time). When it came to the Covid, Joe was the voice of reason while Trump was the voice of chaos. Those days are gone and I don't see Kamala winning.

by Anonymousreply 72July 23, 2024 8:32 PM

Hillary lost because she didn’t understand the electorate. She spent way too much of her at Hollywood fundraisers hanging out with celebrities, while her campaign ignored Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. She arrogantly assumed she had those states locked down and didn’t need to waste time campaigning there. She found out otherwise on election night. Biden didn’t make that same mistake in 2020, and Harris won’t either.

by Anonymousreply 73July 23, 2024 8:38 PM

Chasten will wear a pillbox hat to the inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 74July 23, 2024 8:49 PM

[quote]Rachel looks so fresh in that thumbnail, what's her secret? Under-eye concealer? Skin-tinted lip balm?

Please take this to the tired MSNBC threads.

by Anonymousreply 75July 23, 2024 8:50 PM

The naysayers' opinions are no more predictive than those of the Harris optimists; no one can be certain of the election results until the morning of November 6 (if then).

Stop the stress-invoking, determined speculation. Instead, do what you can to help your party and candidates be it monetarily or hands-on. Go out and about enjoying the summer and fall. Limit the time spent arguing about politics.

Be kind. Live.

by Anonymousreply 76July 23, 2024 9:01 PM

Pete is great in media and in debates, but, get real, OP. Just because you have this unrequited crush on him does not mean he has ANY electoral advantage. Picking Pete while ignoring Kelly, Shapiro, Beshear, Pritzker would be utterly insane. Y'all need to stop thinking with your limp dicks and start thinking like Nancy -- she knows it's all about the numbers, it's all about winning.

by Anonymousreply 77July 23, 2024 9:08 PM

[quote] Y'all need to stop thinking with your limp dicks and start thinking like Nancy

I AM thinking like a Nancy!

That's why I want Pete to be Vice President.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 23, 2024 9:11 PM

[quote] Hillary was the obvious choice between her and Mr. Trump before, yet she still didn’t win. Have we changed that much?

Hillary was the obvious choice and nearly everyone thought she was going to win on election day but Republicans did a really good job of making her look dirty with an assist from Jim Comey and Putin. Even Trump thought he was going to lose the election in 2016. I think a lot of people didn't vote because they already thought Hilary was a lock to win. I just don't think Democrats will make that mistake again but if anyone can figure out a way to lose an election the Democrats can.

by Anonymousreply 79July 23, 2024 9:12 PM

She's already out on a limb being bi-racial and female. If she picks a female (or gay) they will be perceived as weak. If she picks a minority, the majority whites will think, "They're taking over".

And if they're gay, black and female (Stacey Abrams) it will be a win for Trump/Vance 79%.

by Anonymousreply 80July 23, 2024 9:17 PM

Stacey Abrams is a lesbian??

WHAT??

by Anonymousreply 81July 23, 2024 9:20 PM

bad idea

the WOKE ticket won't win

by Anonymousreply 82July 23, 2024 9:28 PM

[quote]R76 Stop the stress-invoking, determined speculation. Instead, do what you can to help your party and candidates be it monetarily or hands-on.

One thing we can all do is remind everyone here that JD Vance is no relation to OUR Vivian Vance!

Don’t let them be sucked into voting just for sentiment’s sake!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 23, 2024 9:29 PM

I like Pete, but he would be a losing choice.

A black woman and gay man on a presidential ticket is not a winning combination in the US in 2024.

Self-righteous indignation and wishful thinking are not substitutes for political strategy.

by Anonymousreply 84July 23, 2024 9:32 PM

^^^^ troof

anytime we're evaluating politicians primarily on their 'identity', we're losing

by Anonymousreply 85July 23, 2024 9:34 PM

I look forward to the day that any gay man will not have to face butt jokes, especially on gay sites, but I don't expect that to ever happen in my lifetime. smh

by Anonymousreply 86July 23, 2024 9:37 PM

[quote] Self-righteous indignation and wishful thinking are not substitutes for political strategy.

How dare you!

by Anonymousreply 87July 23, 2024 9:40 PM

How VERY dare you!

by Anonymousreply 88July 23, 2024 9:43 PM

[quote]I think she should tap Beto O’Rourke.

I think Pete should tap Beto O'Rourke. I would pay cash money to see that.

by Anonymousreply 89July 23, 2024 11:13 PM

R79 Hillary needed no help looking dirty.....she wore it like a shield. Stupid entitled cunt.

by Anonymousreply 90July 23, 2024 11:55 PM

Hillary ALWAYS had some new scandal following her around.

by Anonymousreply 91July 23, 2024 11:59 PM

Hillary picked a boring white guy and it did her no good whatsoever. I also think anyone willing to vote for the black and Indian woman with the Jewish husband is probably not gonna look at Pete and think "now *this* is too much." Let's also not forget either that Pete's Fox town halls received standing ovations and that he won/tied in Iowa. He's great at talking to exactly the midwestern white people that we need in order to win in this election. That being said, I'm sure he still has very little shot at it.

by Anonymousreply 92July 24, 2024 12:04 AM

[quote] Hillary picked a boring white guy and it did her no good whatsoever.

EXACTLY!

The "safe choice" is not the way to go this year.

Americans want change from the same old, same old.

That's why Barack Obama got elected in 2008.

I think that Harris/Buttigieg could be a winning ticket in 2024.

Give the voters a little more credit.

We need to GO BIG!

by Anonymousreply 93July 24, 2024 12:18 AM

The voters, R93, and their big thinking, are, bar one poll, voting in favor of Trump at the present time. I know it's exciting days, I pray for good things, but I think you're getting carried away with just how much change the voters aren't getting credit for.

by Anonymousreply 94July 24, 2024 12:31 AM

Well-said IMO, R15! 👌

by Anonymousreply 95July 24, 2024 12:38 AM

I'd love to see Pete on the ticket, I would love to see him as president, but it's not going to happen. It's going to be two more generations until a gay man can be elected.

by Anonymousreply 96July 24, 2024 12:39 AM

Please god no.

by Anonymousreply 97July 24, 2024 12:40 AM

Amy/R97, could you recommend a good stapler?

Also, which is better, a desk stapler, or a staple gun?

What's best for disciplining back talking interns?

by Anonymousreply 98July 24, 2024 12:42 AM

As much as I love and admire Pete, I don’t think America will vote for a gay Prez or VP, at least not in my remaining years (I am eldergay) . I would so love to be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 99July 24, 2024 12:49 AM

I think his day could come. I do. But it will take a woman to smash the presidential stereotype first and Pete's got to be able to demonstrate more than just being a good talker. He's great, but that's pretty much it so far. Senate, Governor, something... but something more.

by Anonymousreply 100July 24, 2024 12:53 AM

As a gay man, I am all for Pete. I don't want to say that "it's not his time." I just think that we have other considerations and winning is absolutely essential--we must! Pete being gay isn't necessarily the overriding factor that he should not be on ticket. I suppose being gay is a big factor, but he just doesn't help the Dems win. This is not a normal election. We need the strongest candidate to defeat Trump, and Pete isn't it. The stakes are too high this time around. After Kamala's two terms as president, it may be Pete's time in 2032--and he's still young enough.

So in a way, it's not Pete's time, but it's also not Gavin Newsom's or Gretchen Whitmer's time either. We need the strongest candidate. Kamala happened to be the vice-president. She is at the right place at the right time.

For a little perspective...it's not RFK Jr's time either.

by Anonymousreply 101July 24, 2024 5:12 AM

LINK.....[bold] NBC News reports Pete isn't even in Kamalas Top Five (Shapiro. Gretchen. Cooper. Beshear. Walz). [/bold].....This is just Pete Hype. And overplayed at that. I wouldn't be surprised if Pete is adding "Potential Veep Candidate" to his resume on Wiki.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 24, 2024 7:24 AM

He makes the most sense.

by Anonymousreply 103July 24, 2024 7:28 AM

[quote] NBC News reports Pete isn't even in Kamalas Top Five (Shapiro. Gretchen. Cooper. Beshear. Walz)

That sucks.

Beshear is the only other person besides Pete, that I would want to see as Vice-President.

I really don't understand why he's being overlooked. Pete is as good, if not better than the people listed.

by Anonymousreply 104July 24, 2024 7:50 AM

To all the commenters concern trolling about how a woman can't win because Hillary lost:

Hillary Clinton won the Popular Vote by several million votes.

by Anonymousreply 105July 24, 2024 9:11 AM

R102 - did you watch your own link?

It reports that Cooper, Shapiro, Walz, Whitmer & Kelly (not Beshear) were the ones that sources said vetting materials were requested.

Beshear and Butugeg were in the "speculation" category.

by Anonymousreply 106July 24, 2024 10:18 AM

He comes across as smarmy and unlikable. He talks a good game but usually demonstrates incompetence when he has an actual to do.

by Anonymousreply 107July 24, 2024 11:58 AM

Mayor Pete got 1% of the black vote in the Dem primaries 4 years ago and 2% of the latino vote.

She ain't picking him.

by Anonymousreply 108July 24, 2024 1:51 PM

Beshear is much better than Pete. I think Pete is someone who has a lot of potential but maybe not in a presidential/vp role.

by Anonymousreply 109July 24, 2024 2:58 PM

There's a huge problem with gays in the black community. It just is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 110July 24, 2024 2:59 PM

So Pete has fucked 1 black guy and 2 latinos?

by Anonymousreply 111July 24, 2024 3:12 PM

Sorry, but this is not the time to take a risk like that.

by Anonymousreply 112July 24, 2024 3:16 PM

There's picking a white guy and there's picking white bread. I don't think Andy Beshear is ready for the big time.

She's got some other options that seem able to hit the ground running.

by Anonymousreply 113July 24, 2024 3:29 PM

[quote] I don't think Andy Beshear is ready for the big time.

Which is why he will be VP this time, not president :-)

by Anonymousreply 114July 24, 2024 3:42 PM

WaPo examined the seven likely contenders (Shapiro, Kelly, Cooper, Beshear, Walz, Pritzker, Whitmer.) Newsom and Pete got lumped in "Others to keep an eye on: Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, California Gov. Gavin Newsom, Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, retired Navy Adm. William McRaven." None got an analysis.

Here's what they said about Beshear:

What he brings: Beshear’s 2023 win might be the most impressive of any that we’re talking about here. He faced a capable opponent in state Attorney General Daniel Cameron (R) at a time when Democrats were beginning to fret about this year’s elections, and he still won by five points in quite a red state. He’s also young (46) and, like Shapiro, has a reputation for being a constant and reassuring presence at important moments in his state, such as national disasters. While other candidates on this list might appeal to moderate and conservative voters, Beshear looks and acts the part more than others — often invoking his Christian faith.

But he’s still new to the national scene, and sometimes governors who win in tough states don’t have much staying power. While he has been firmly in favor of abortion rights and in line with the left on many issues, governing Kentucky as a Democrat has required some compromises that might not appeal to liberals, including on climate change.

Shapiro came out strongest in the analysis, but Cooper fared well, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 24, 2024 3:48 PM

JOSH!

by Anonymousreply 116July 24, 2024 3:51 PM

[quote] While he has been firmly in favor of abortion rights and in line with the left on many issues, governing Kentucky as a Democrat has required some compromises that might not appeal to liberals, including on climate change.

This is the wrong conclusion to arrive at. The correct conclusion is: while he has been firmly in favor of abortion rights and in line with the left on many issues, governing Kentucky as a Democrat has required some compromises that might not appeal to liberals but will certainly appeal to swing voters and even a portion of conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 117July 24, 2024 3:56 PM

No, Pete needs to be in place to replace Blinken.

Pete needs to have an understanding of Putin.

by Anonymousreply 118July 24, 2024 3:57 PM

R117

Good point. Still think there's better choices but certainly worth considering.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 119July 24, 2024 4:00 PM

It's weird that WaPo cites Beshear compromising as a bad thing. Kamala is already perceived as a very liberal by a large portion of the electorate (outside of the Squad-supporting Dems). Why would Kamala need a running mate that is equally or more liberal? She needs someone who can help her appeal to swing states and even conservative states. And Beshear is the best choice of the bunch for that. If Beshear found success in Kentucky--one of the most conservative Republican states in the nation--he can absolutely appeal to those who are undecided or uncomfortable voting for a more left-wing candidate.

by Anonymousreply 120July 24, 2024 4:01 PM

y'all just think he's hot.

by Anonymousreply 121July 24, 2024 4:03 PM

I think WaPo was probably looking at it through the lens of party unity... everyone must be skeptical the current unity can endure.

by Anonymousreply 122July 24, 2024 4:03 PM

R122, I think it will be like in 2016 where almost all people who are left-leaning will throw their support for the Dems since it's going to be "anyone but Trump again". Choosing a VP that can appeal to swing voters will be critical.

by Anonymousreply 123July 24, 2024 4:11 PM

[quote] Mayor Pete got 1% of the black vote in the Dem primaries 4 years ago and 2% of the latino vote.

Then let Kamala focus on black and Latino voters, and Pete can try to bring in white independents.

Simple.

by Anonymousreply 124July 24, 2024 4:14 PM

Pete won Iowa, which is one more than Kamala ever won in 2020.

Hillary went with the ‘safe’ straight, white, male and where did that get us?

At this point, it’s time to swing for the fences. Pete is the best and most effective communicator in the Democratic Party today. They’d be foolish not to unleash that on JD Vance or whatever his real name is.

Also, the American people need to be reminded there is a difference between gay and LGBTQ.

by Anonymousreply 125July 24, 2024 4:20 PM

ok, harvey...

not.

by Anonymousreply 126July 24, 2024 4:21 PM

[quote]Also, the American people need to be reminded there is a difference between gay and LGBTQ.

Yes, and this is exactly the moment to do it.

Do you want to win or do you want to righteous?

by Anonymousreply 127July 24, 2024 4:22 PM

Hillary's defeat had nothing to with Tim Kaine.

by Anonymousreply 128July 24, 2024 4:22 PM

Wrong r128. While Kaine didn’t hurt her, he did not help her either.

by Anonymousreply 129July 24, 2024 4:23 PM

And so something neither harmful nor helpful played into her defeat? I think what you're trying to describe is another bad decision by the Clinton campaign.

by Anonymousreply 130July 24, 2024 4:26 PM

[quote] Hillary's defeat had nothing to with Tim Kaine.

The point is, he brought nothing to the ticket.

He was supposed to "reassure" independents and white voters that even with a female President, that a "straight, white male" would still be in the mix so that they wouldn't have to "worry."

But that didn't help her at all.

And that's what they're trying to do this year. They want to saddle her with another straight white male to "reassure" voters that they don't have to be afraid of the scary black/Indian female President.

That doesn't work!

If you're going to be groundbreaking, then BE GROUNDBREAKING.

Put Pete on the ticket and show America that they have nothing to fear from people who are GAY, BLACK, INDIAN, or FEMALE.

How's that for a great message?

And once they actually get to know Kamala and Pete, then THAT will be their selling point, because they're both really great and really smart people.

Damn, some of you are so stuck in the past!

by Anonymousreply 131July 24, 2024 4:27 PM

It's the most naive message I can imagine in the current political climate.

America, you have nothing to fear!

Yeah, a country where Trump leads most polls is wide open to don't worry, be happy.

Again: do you want to win or do you want to be righteous? I know the answer. I can see you November 5th: this country deserves what it got, blah, blah, blah. You're a delightful optimist, but a lousy strategist. And if I'm wrong and you're right, why are most of the potential nominees guys who fit my theory and not yours?

by Anonymousreply 132July 24, 2024 4:32 PM

I agree with both of you — go big or go home AND America is not yet ready for Pete. Both can be true, sorry kids. It’s not Pete’s time (yet) but we will live to see it now.

by Anonymousreply 133July 24, 2024 4:35 PM

[quote]She needs someone who can help her appeal to swing states and even conservative states. And Beshear is the best choice of the bunch for that.

She’s not going to win “conservative states”. Those states will vote red and she will get zero of those electoral votes. Bashear gets her zero electoral votes.

The states she needs are PA, MI, and WI. Specifically moderates and suburban white women. The VP who gets her those votes is Josh Shapiro.

by Anonymousreply 134July 24, 2024 4:38 PM

[quote] And once they actually get to know Kamala and Pete, then THAT will be their selling point, because they're both really great and really smart people.

They can also support and defend each other from the inevitable attacks that will come their way.

Kamala Harris is going to need someone in the White House to "have her back," and I think that Pete will definitely be that person.

I think they could bond through shared experience.

by Anonymousreply 135July 24, 2024 4:39 PM

Or Bershear or Cooper or Kelly. Each complements her in different ways. There is a luxury of choice. There is no right answer and there is no wrong answer.

by Anonymousreply 136July 24, 2024 4:40 PM

And maybe the Director of Comms can come from the Hallmark Channel and Kamala and Pete can wear matching sweaters! Christ, the rose colored glasses....

by Anonymousreply 137July 24, 2024 4:42 PM

[quote]The states she needs are PA, MI, and WI. Specifically moderates and suburban white women. The VP who gets her those votes is Josh Shapiro.

A JEW? hahahahaaha!

by Anonymousreply 138July 24, 2024 4:43 PM

[quote] the states she needs are PA, MI, and WI. Specifically moderates and suburban white women.

And those are groups that Pete does well with. The group he generally doesn't do well with is people of color, but I don't think they'll pass on voting for Kamala if he's VP.

Everyone also keeps talking about abortion being something Kamala is uniquely qualified to speak about because she's a woman. Let's not forget that the Supreme Court has already hinted at wanting to get rid of gay marriage, which is something most Americans now support. I think having Pete out there as a reminder that the Republicans want to take away another basic right doesn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 139July 24, 2024 5:02 PM

Shapiro

by Anonymousreply 140July 24, 2024 5:06 PM

[quote] Everyone also keeps talking about abortion being something Kamala is uniquely qualified to speak about because she's a woman. Let's not forget that the Supreme Court has already hinted at wanting to get rid of gay marriage, which is something most Americans now support. I think having Pete out there as a reminder that the Republicans want to take away another basic right doesn't hurt.

That's an excellent point, R139.

And you're right about Black voters sticking with Kamala no matter who she picks as a running mate, because they'll be loyal to her.

So it doesn't really matter if they support Pete or not, because she'll still get their vote.

by Anonymousreply 141July 24, 2024 5:08 PM

As others have stated, Beshear will not help us fortify the blue wall any better than Josh, BUT Josh will guarantee PA. We are lucky to be fighting over multiple, talented people. We are in a strong position. They will announce the pick at the convention, and I believe Barack will announce his endorsement there too. It might be more exciting or at least as exciting as when Barack hit his first presidential convention too. Americans have not been this unified and excited since either 2001 or 2008. People are finally happy again.

by Anonymousreply 142July 24, 2024 5:09 PM

josh is a jew that supports sexual harassment offenders...not happening.

by Anonymousreply 143July 24, 2024 5:29 PM

I was perusing the Pennsylvania subreddit yesterday. They absolutely love Shapiro. They would rather he remained Governor but, if it keeps Dump out of the WH they are all for him being VP.

by Anonymousreply 144July 24, 2024 5:35 PM

R143, get the fuck out. Why NOT a Jew? Queers for Palestinians is not a threat, the average Joe still supports Israel because of 9/11. Josh has spoken out against how Israel has hurt Palestinians too. Second, he had a staffer who harassed someone, and he did the right thing by paying out to a victim — no leader should be crossed off this list because of a minor blip like a settlement for something they had zero to do with.

No more bullshit purity tests. Josh is more forceful than Beshear. Fuck, voters in GA put a Jew in the Senate! America is sick of identity politics. They will love Shapiro because of his policy (which is so balanced), his tone (which is aggressive without hate), and his track record (he has done big things in PA that his voters love). Make it about what he has done, not his faith, who CARES if he’s fucking Jewish???? The only people who care are MAGATS! Dem voters and Independents will absolutely support a Jew, GTFOH with your fear-mongering.

But again, whomever she picks will be good. Each person brings different gifts, I will be very happy no matter who they pick as VP.

by Anonymousreply 145July 24, 2024 5:53 PM

R145 the last time a Democrat picked a Jewish VP nominee, it was a disaster.

I dare say that Joe Lieberman was the reason why Al Gore lost the election in 2000.

And we all know what happened a few years later, when Lieberman left the Democratic party and became a Republican.

No thank you!

by Anonymousreply 146July 24, 2024 5:55 PM

The problem with Lieberman was not that he was Jewish.

Though it was a stupid choice on Gore's part for many reasons.

by Anonymousreply 147July 24, 2024 6:15 PM

R146, the problem wasn't Lieberman being Jewish. The problem is that Lieberman was shit.

by Anonymousreply 148July 24, 2024 6:15 PM

The Democratic Party didn’t have so many young antisemites when Lieberman was nominated compared to now. The college age ones are ready to do pogroms.

by Anonymousreply 149July 24, 2024 6:49 PM

You all need to get out of your liberal coastal upper middle class bubbles and see how the majority of Americans live and think. It's not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 150July 24, 2024 7:41 PM

I hope Kamala picks whomsoever she chooses.

by Anonymousreply 151July 24, 2024 9:14 PM

I would love for the elections to be about policies and not identities R57.

by Anonymousreply 152July 24, 2024 9:28 PM

Pete can be Gavin Newsom's vp in 2032.

by Anonymousreply 153July 24, 2024 9:39 PM

[quote]Let's not forget that the Supreme Court has already hinted at wanting to get rid of gay marriage, which is something most Americans now support.

[quote]America is sick of identity politics.

[quote]You all need to get out of your liberal coastal upper middle class bubbles and see how the majority of Americans live and think.

She's my daughter! She's my sister!

by Anonymousreply 154July 24, 2024 9:43 PM

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on there being a substantial difference between supporting and caring.

by Anonymousreply 155July 24, 2024 9:44 PM

Pete Buttigieg "wants it bad."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 24, 2024 10:51 PM

[quote]Pete Buttigieg "wants it bad."

Well, nobody wants him or his fat husband.

by Anonymousreply 157July 24, 2024 10:54 PM

[quote] America is sick of identity politics.

Unless they are using identity politics to attack any Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 158July 24, 2024 11:05 PM

R158, isn’t that “live by the sword, die by the sword”?

by Anonymousreply 159July 24, 2024 11:34 PM

[quote] Pete can be Gavin Newsom's vp in 2032.

Oh, now THAT's hot!

by Anonymousreply 160July 25, 2024 12:54 AM

I just wish Josh Shapiro was better-looking. He looks like a beaver and his glasses are too small.

(Yes, I'm a longtime DL'er, why do you ask?)

by Anonymousreply 161July 25, 2024 1:02 AM

Why didn't Andy Beshea's parents get him some orthodontic work

by Anonymousreply 162July 25, 2024 1:15 AM

Kamala- like Hillary- likes to laugh and have a good time. They will be spending lots of time together. She's not going to pick a surly bore.

by Anonymousreply 163July 25, 2024 1:16 AM

[quote] Why didn't Andy Beshea's parents get him some orthodontic work

He's from Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 164July 25, 2024 1:17 AM

[quote] Kamala- like Hillary- likes to laugh and have a good time.

They both love a good CACKLE!

by Anonymousreply 165July 25, 2024 1:18 AM

cooper

by Anonymousreply 166July 25, 2024 1:19 AM

Petes next husband is going to have a law degree and look a lot more like this and a lot less Hooterville. wait and see. Chasten is first husband material. Guys like Pete always trade up. He's going places. The only place Chasten is going is Michigan to raise the twins and collect the child support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 25, 2024 2:39 AM

Pete will make a great Secretary of State.

Katie Porter will make a great Secretary of the Treasury.

by Anonymousreply 168July 25, 2024 2:49 AM

Forgive me, I didn't read the thread -- I only read the OP. But I fail to see what you guys see in this twat. He was a small-town mayor. That's it.

And talk about a DEI hire! This guy has no experience whatsoever that qualifies him to be the Transportation Secretary. If he weren't gay, he'd be nothing to anyone (except his husband and his adopted kids).

So get over yourselves, gentlemen, and find another gay politician to support. Here's an idea -- talk Cory Booker out of the closet. That man is a politician.

by Anonymousreply 169July 25, 2024 2:53 AM

[quote]Pete will make a great Secretary of State.

That goes in the same bucket as "Dr. Jill Biden will make a great surgeon-general."

by Anonymousreply 170July 25, 2024 3:01 AM

I just love this game of grab a name I like and give 'em a job. It's like a drive by shooting of stupid.

by Anonymousreply 171July 25, 2024 3:06 AM

Josh Shapiro is mondo beyondo pro-Israel.

I no longer like him.

by Anonymousreply 172July 25, 2024 3:15 AM

Beshear is the winning choice.

by Anonymousreply 173July 25, 2024 3:16 AM

R167, who is that? Is he a South African model??

by Anonymousreply 174July 25, 2024 3:21 AM

[quote]R169 talk about a DEI hire! This guy has no experience whatsoever that qualifies him to be the Transportation Secretary. If he weren't gay, he'd be nothing to anyone (except his husband and adopted kids).

I’ve been keeping politely silent out of respect for my sister gays here…. but I’ve never quite understood what this guy’s accomplishments or workplace abilities are.

He’s very good at public discourse. His true calling is probably to be a news commentator.

by Anonymousreply 175July 25, 2024 6:02 AM

[quote] His true calling is probably to be a news commentator.

How DARE you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 25, 2024 7:19 AM

Pete looks like the guy whose never had a black cock. And Chasten looks like the guy who can't wait to get his next one.

by Anonymousreply 177July 25, 2024 7:27 AM

[quote]But I fail to see what you guys see in this twat. He was a small-town mayor. That's it.

Secretary Pete manages a department with 59 thousand employees, an 18BILLION dollar budget and directs the 1.2 TRILLION DOLLAR The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.

The State of Wyoming has a budget of $3.55B with 600K people.

Being Secretary of Transportation is more powerful than the governors of 17 states with smaller budgets.

Secretary Pete is AWESOME. Plus he speaks Arabic. I can imagine him give the big fuck-u to Hamas and Hezbollah in their own language.

by Anonymousreply 178July 25, 2024 10:11 AM

[quote]Plus he speaks Arabic.

Maybe he could be Ambassador to Jordan in the Harris administration.

by Anonymousreply 179July 25, 2024 10:33 AM

Ambassador to NATO, or the UN?

But he needs a promotion from Transportation, not a lateral.

by Anonymousreply 180July 25, 2024 10:37 AM

Of course he is the most ready to govern. His work at South Bend Indiana as mayor is exactly like being a mayor of NYC, with just less people, or a governor of a large state, with just less people. And it’s just like being a senator when you deal with the local city council.

Being a mayor , even of a small Indiana city, is almost like being president in a much smaller more insignificant way, .

And insiders say his leadership at DoT was Ike like when Ike was running the war in Europe and planning DDay.

DL knows talent DL is not into identity politics .

by Anonymousreply 181July 25, 2024 10:45 AM

Secretary Pete manages a department with 59 thousand employees, an 18BILLION dollar budget and directs the 1.2 TRILLION DOLLAR The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.

The State of Wyoming has a budget of $3.55B with 600K people.

Being Secretary of Transportation is more powerful than the governors of 17 states with smaller budgets.

Secretary Pete is AWESOME. Plus he speaks Arabic. I can imagine him give the big fuck-u to Hamas and Hezbollah in their own language.

by Anonymousreply 182July 25, 2024 11:04 AM

Thank God you "its not the right time for a gay men" bed wetters were not at Stonewall in 1969. You would be arguing the same thing how we are in the middle of a war with Vietnam, President Kenedy just assassinated a few years ago, “Midnight Cowboy” is released with an X rating, and therefor we should wait and keep quiet until America accepts us on their own timeline many decades in the future.

by Anonymousreply 183July 25, 2024 11:37 AM

17 states none of which have governors that will be vetted for VP by Harris.

Although the insiders say if you want to be on the ticket some day and you can’t get Commerce or Interior the DoT is the next best one.

by Anonymousreply 184July 25, 2024 11:56 AM

Tim Kaine was not a random choice by HRC. He quit his job as Chairman of the DNC so that Hillary's campaign manager Debbie W. Schultz could take the position. So let it be written - so let it be done.

by Anonymousreply 185July 25, 2024 2:23 PM

Pete is a stud. Those who try to tear him down are just jealous that he cleverly leveraged his education and speaking skills to leapfrog to the top so quickly. That’s what brilliant people do folks! Don’t be so jelly.

by Anonymousreply 186July 25, 2024 2:48 PM

I agree, to an extent. he seems like he's maybe bargained VERY hard to get ahead so quickly. hard work, I'm sure, but there is something there. fortunately he's on my side. . . . .

by Anonymousreply 187July 25, 2024 2:51 PM

To those of you pushing for Shapiro who is very pro-Israel, Kamala has already put out several statements about the need to stop killing civilians in Gaza, and to stop the attacks on them.

I can't imagine having a President and a Vice-President at odds on such a major policy issue.

[quote] Let me be also very clear, as I’ve said before: We cannot conflate Hamas with the Palestinian people. Hamas is a brutal terrorist organization. Hamas has vowed to repeat October 7 until Israel is annihilated.

[quote] No nation could possibly live with such danger, which is why we support Israel’s legitimate military objectives to eliminate the threat of Hamas.

[quote] President Biden and I have also been clear with the Israeli government in public and in private many times: As Israel defends itself, it matters how.

[quote] The United States is unequivocal: International humanitarian law must be respected. Too many innocent Palestinians have been killed. Frankly, the scale of civilian suffering and the images and videos coming from Gaza are devastating.

[quote] I have spoken with members of the Palestinian, Arab, and Muslim communities of America, including those who have lost loved ones in Gaza and American citizens who were injured and evacuated from Gaza. It is truly heartbreaking.

[quote] As Israel pursues its military objectives in Gaza, we believe Israel must do more to protect innocent civilians.

[quote] So, we all want this conflict to end as soon as possible. And to ensure Israel’s security and ensure security for the Palestinian people, we must accelerate efforts to build an enduring peace. And that begins with planning for what happens the day after the fighting ends.

This is why is has to be Mayor Pete, Beshear, or Kelly.

She can't have the Vice-President undermining her, and you know that's what Shapiro would do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188July 25, 2024 4:16 PM

Pete has his first endorsement article!!!

Yay!!

[quote] Pete Buttigieg's Chances of Being Kamala Harris' Running Mate Skyrocket

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 25, 2024 4:18 PM

I truly hope that Kamala is considering Pete as her running mate.

It would be a historic year for so many different groups of Americans.

A win would be UNBELIEVABLE!

by Anonymousreply 190July 25, 2024 4:57 PM

R190 Oh yeah, it doesn't matter whether we win or lose, let's just be politically correct. That'll make us feel real good about ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 191July 25, 2024 5:00 PM

Yes and one of those band of groups that it would be historic for , would be the 7.2% of American's who are GBLTIQ++++ , some of whom of course are GOP and others don’t vote at all.

The only question should be—-who helps her win better and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 192July 25, 2024 5:03 PM

The right hates Pete and feel he's a waste of space as Trans Sec. You need a mod who will move the needle with the independents and the undecideds. A progressive ticket will not win this election. Balance is the key.

by Anonymousreply 193July 25, 2024 5:03 PM

Pete is not being vetted.

End of story.

President Harris has other goals for him.

by Anonymousreply 194July 25, 2024 5:04 PM

[quote] Oh yeah, it doesn't matter whether we win or lose, let's just be politically correct.

It's not being "politically correct" to support who I think is the best person for the job.

Pete has been Mayor of a medium sized US City and also the US Secretary of Transportation.

Kamala didn't have any national credentials before becoming Vice-President.

Also, Pete is a military veteran AND a Harvard Graduate.

This is not "political correctness."

Pete is truly qualified for the job.

So you can just shut the fuck up, you dumb cunt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195July 25, 2024 5:07 PM

A mayor of a medium size city and Sec DOT :-) He sounds like the 2nd coming of FDR And Harvard thrown in for the kill shot.

Amazing he is not being vetted at all.

by Anonymousreply 196July 25, 2024 5:11 PM

r196, it is not his time.

by Anonymousreply 197July 25, 2024 5:14 PM

I love Pete, but I don't think he's going to appeal to swing state voters.

by Anonymousreply 198July 25, 2024 5:16 PM

Says YOU, R197.

And just who the fuck are YOU?

by Anonymousreply 199July 25, 2024 5:16 PM

I think Mark Kelly or Josh Shapiro would be a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 200July 25, 2024 5:16 PM

Once we get rid of the Electoral College.

by Anonymousreply 201July 25, 2024 5:16 PM

That’s a DOA combo.

by Anonymousreply 202July 25, 2024 5:17 PM

Plus Pete's husband is quite unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 203July 25, 2024 5:17 PM

[quote] Plus Pete's husband is quite unattractive.

So was Karen "Mother" Pence, also from Indiana.

But that never stopped her husband from being VP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204July 25, 2024 5:21 PM

He’s open, that’s for sure.

by Anonymousreply 205July 25, 2024 5:27 PM

Mother Pence has such great style!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206July 25, 2024 5:55 PM

Has he ever won an election other than Mayor of South Bend??

That’s a no.

by Anonymousreply 207July 25, 2024 6:08 PM

All this mean spirited snark bullshit is a HUGE part of the problem. Pete being vetted as a finalist is important. He is better communicator with more media support than ANY of the others, with the exception of perhaps Kelly. He has a military record. He is married (once) with children. He could help deliver the midwest. Not including him in the choices is homophobic & hypocritical for a candidate that is running in part on diversity. He doesn't have to be chosen. Being considered is critical. We are treated as we accept being treated. Gay people who disagree might want to talk to a therapist to get past a little self-loathing.

by Anonymousreply 208July 25, 2024 6:09 PM

What those of you living in your liberal coastal bubbles don't seem to understand is that 50% (and perhaps more) of Americans are ignorant idiots who still believe in a magical sky fairy who they think is in charge of their lives.

Pete is not the right choice, as smart and competent as he is, to win this election.

by Anonymousreply 209July 25, 2024 6:10 PM

An Indiana boy who could not come remotely close to winning a state wide election in his own state,

by Anonymousreply 210July 25, 2024 6:10 PM

[quote] What those of you living in your liberal coastal bubbles don't seem to understand is that 50% (and perhaps more) of Americans are ignorant idiots who still believe in a magical sky fairy who they think is in charge of their lives.

Which is why it's important for upstanding politicians like Pete Buttigieg to be SEEN.

You're not going to change a person's perception of you by HIDING IN A CLOSET.

The more people see him and get to know him, the more they will like Pete.

I am 100% sure of this.

by Anonymousreply 211July 25, 2024 6:13 PM

Not gonna happen r211. Not this year.

by Anonymousreply 212July 25, 2024 6:15 PM

Pete will have 4-8 years doing something so people can get to know him and like him. DOT is not where up he wants to be.

He sure can’t expect to win Governor or Senator .

Let’s see if he gets any really big job like State, DOD or HHS or maybe be put in charge of the border. The latter job would see what chops he has.

by Anonymousreply 213July 25, 2024 6:22 PM

R195 You're obviously the dumbest thick-headed cunt of all time, completely blinded by your wokeness. As others here who are clearly far smarter than you have stated, he would be the wrong choice to defeat Trump. Period. Learn something from those who know better than you.

by Anonymousreply 214July 25, 2024 6:35 PM

[quote] Oh yeah, it doesn't matter whether we win or lose, let's just be politically correct.

Pete is NOT a politically correct pick, cant you see from all the hate that a PC pick would be an older straight white male? Pete is a disrupter, he's really good at take the attack to the Republicans. His sexuality is irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 215July 25, 2024 6:35 PM

R215 no one on DL gives a shit about his sexuality. So we know America will not care about his sexuality.

They will just care that he was a mayor of a middling city absolutely no one give a shit about, and a Sec of a Dept no one cares about unless bad things happen, And he is a disrupter and attacks well.

He tore some Frau a new asshole who was a member of the local city council when he was mayor.

In 4-12 years his time will come. And when his time does come I think he will do well.

by Anonymousreply 216July 25, 2024 6:48 PM

OP is a troll being ironic.

by Anonymousreply 217July 25, 2024 6:48 PM

[quote]Plus Pete's husband is quite unattractive.

That didn't stop us from winning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218July 25, 2024 6:49 PM

R217 is a paranoid schizophrenic with NPD and delusional tendencies, who spends WAY too much time on Datalounge conjuring up conspiracy theories.

by Anonymousreply 219July 25, 2024 6:53 PM

Pete is the reason middle America has no problem with old lesbians. But even that took time. We are in a transitional America where everyone will be first class citizens. Not just White Male Evangelicals.

We are in the most amazing period of American evolution. The promise is coming true .

by Anonymousreply 220July 25, 2024 7:16 PM

Kevin McCarthy (believe it or not) actually gives a good analysis of the pros and cons of Kamala's possible picks for VP, and he even throws Pete's name into the mix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221July 25, 2024 7:19 PM

[quote]Pete is the reason middle America has no problem with old lesbians.

WTF?? And I suppose my being out and proud since 1972 has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps you're trying to imply that Pete [bold]looks[/bold] like an old lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 222July 25, 2024 7:25 PM

^^^^^

Simmer down, grandma!

Pete's not trying to take your job.

by Anonymousreply 223July 25, 2024 7:33 PM

Pete just looks like it

by Anonymousreply 224July 25, 2024 7:34 PM

[quote]And I suppose my being out and proud since 1972 has nothing to do with it.

Probably not

by Anonymousreply 225July 25, 2024 7:35 PM

[quote]Pete just looks like it

By “it”, you mean a rodent.

by Anonymousreply 226July 25, 2024 7:37 PM

r222, you internalized my response way too much.

It took years for people to find lesbians non-threatening, it is taking us, gay men, a bit longer.

We will get to where we need to be when two men kiss on film and nobody in the audience goes ewwwww.

We are getting there.

by Anonymousreply 227July 25, 2024 7:54 PM

R223? I am not a grandma, thank you very much.

R227? You said [bold]Pete is the reason middle America has no problem with old lesbians.[/bold]

That means, after all these years, it was actually PETE who made me socially acceptable.

Tell me how I could possibly misinterpret that very clear and obvious sentence.

by Anonymousreply 228July 25, 2024 8:07 PM

When does she announce her choice- at the convention? Or because it's so late in the game will she as soon as possible?

by Anonymousreply 229July 25, 2024 8:58 PM

[quote] no one on DL gives a shit about his sexuality. So we know America will not care about his sexuality.

Exactly. The main thing he has been criticized for on DL has been the terrible job he has done at Transportation, with some smaller criticisms about his appearance and his relationship with Chasten.

by Anonymousreply 230July 25, 2024 9:36 PM

R240

Oh my did you that was a serious comment ? It was not. Of course DL cares about Pete's sexuality. If Pete were not gay DL would not give even a little shit about him.

He would just be another straight pol from south bend if he was straight.

by Anonymousreply 231July 25, 2024 9:42 PM

[quote] Pete has never won a state office.

Neither had Trump. Or Eisenhower. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 232July 25, 2024 10:41 PM

Exactly, R232.

All of these arguments against Pete being nominated are just bullshit.

If he was not gay, then it wouldn't be an issue for you naysayers.

Period.

by Anonymousreply 233July 25, 2024 11:46 PM

Kamala will announce sometime between August 5th and August 7th, and it's not going to be Pete.

by Anonymousreply 234July 25, 2024 11:53 PM

[quote]If he was not gay, then it wouldn't be an issue for you naysayers.

The fact that he IS gay is THE issue why America won't elect him. JFC. Do you know how many assholes there are in this country? They're not going to vote for a gay man in the year 2024 no matter how smart or competent he is.

I swear some of you are retarded.

by Anonymousreply 235July 25, 2024 11:57 PM

[quote] I swear some of you are retarded.

Nice, R235.

You certainly sound like the voice of reason.

by Anonymousreply 236July 26, 2024 12:10 AM

I actually am r236 if you think a gay man can be elected nationally. It ain't gonna happen, unfortunately. It will take two more generations.

by Anonymousreply 237July 26, 2024 12:14 AM

I'm a Pete fan, but he's 8-12 years away from the presidency, needs broad experience.

by Anonymousreply 238July 26, 2024 12:20 AM

Honestly, Pete reminds me Gov. McGreevey. The fake innocent "family man" persona. Until he wasn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 26, 2024 12:48 AM

Pete is no more fake than anyone posting here.

I would be curious what polls show about average citizens willingness to vote in a gay person as VP? Polls would need to be micro-targeted to really find the most accurate read of voters. My guess is that we would all be surprised at how many voters say “a candidate’s sexuality wouldn’t change my vote”, meaning it would be higher than we all think. But would the margin be high enough to ensure a victory on Election Day? That’s very difficult to say without any data.

Also, I wonder what the polls said about Barack breaking that barrier? I’m not sure it’s Pete’s time yet, though he could be “the one” to break that barrier soon. I guess I would feel better if there were polls, but the Dems don’t have that kind of time right now. I think it’s a risky move to pick him, and I’m an OG Pete fan. I think it’s risky because it can look gimmicky, meaning it can feed the narrative that our candidates are not there of their own merit, that the Dems are installing DEI picks, it’s terrible, but it is a fact it makes us more vulnerable to their attacks. They’re already attacking Kamala in horrific ways.

The only way I think we are ready for Pete is if polls support it too, there is just too much at stake in this moment. Make him SOS as his prize, he deserves it and can handle it for sure. Right now, we must remove all emotion and think strategically. Every single move we make must point us toward victory, there is no margin for a mistake if she’s going to pull it off.

Duty to Warn: though we are all so excited, we are not yet out of the woods on this election, this is seriously an uphill battle with the EC she is facing. Carville is reminding people to not sound “too cool for school” don’t sound cocky because that turns other voters off. We have to stay grounded and work together, especially on our messaging.

by Anonymousreply 240July 26, 2024 2:37 AM

[quote] Make him SOS as his prize, he deserves it

Sincere question: why exactly?

by Anonymousreply 241July 26, 2024 5:20 AM

Republicans to millennials: We'll place you front and center in our movement.

Democrats to millennials: Eat shit and die.

by Anonymousreply 242July 26, 2024 5:25 AM

[quote]The fact that he IS gay is THE issue why America won't elect him. JFC. Do you know how many assholes there are in this country?

The fact that you dont realize 90% of those are MAGA Trumpeiters shows you lack any serious introspection to your comments.

by Anonymousreply 243July 26, 2024 5:45 AM

R243 doesn’t get the serous homophobia in the Black community.

by Anonymousreply 244July 26, 2024 5:48 AM

Meestr. Buttigieg is not smart like Chinese woman. I marry 80 year old McTurtle to get job, then fund millions to family business back in China. - Elaine Chow, former Secretary of Transpiration.

by Anonymousreply 245July 26, 2024 5:51 AM

[quote] R243 doesn’t get the serous homophobia in the Black community.

Even if that's true, they won't turn their backs on Kamala.

Having another President who is part black, outweighs their distaste for gay people.

Their vote for her is a lock. Gay VP nom or not.

by Anonymousreply 246July 26, 2024 5:52 AM

If Pete is the pick, R246, they better damned well have done their due diligence & polled the hell out of that issue.

by Anonymousreply 247July 26, 2024 5:56 AM

R246 beat me to the punch. If a black woman is on the ticket as President, they wont turn that once in a life time opportunity down because they have issues with a gay man as VP. Especially since we have been told most of that homophobia in the black community is older black folk who know how to keep their eye on the prize to get a black woman in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 248July 26, 2024 5:58 AM

[quote]If Pete is the pick, [R246], they better damned well have done their due diligence & polled the hell out of that issue.

Polling rarely ask if a Presidential candidate pic for VP would make them vote for the other side or not vote at all. The reality is VP pics usually have no affect on choice of President. VP pick is highly important to the President since they will basically be their right hand man in most cases. It's less about what votes they can bring in, and more about who could do the job in an emergency and who they could live with for the next 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 249July 26, 2024 6:05 AM

Honestly, here is why we need Pete: One of the biggest criticisms of Biden’s campaign was that he offered no vision for the country. Pete’s vision in the 2020 cycle was democracy reform: fixing the court, legislation to address Citizens United and gerrymandering, statehood for DC and Puerto Rico, etc. Not all of those things are easy, but having someone at a high level championing them would have a *huge* impact. Let’s not forget that Biden spoke out in favor of gay marriage just before the 2012 election and not only did it not hurt Obama’s chances, but it became the law of the land a few years later. With the Republicans trying to reshape the country towards autocracy with Project 2025, offering a clear vision for strengthening our democracy would be a huge counterpoint, make the stakes of this election pointedly clear, and generate actual excitement on the left. I don’t see anything in the records of Shapiro, Beshear, etc. that indicates they’d be able to assist with any kind of similar vision.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250July 26, 2024 6:15 AM

“Peter reminds me of my son Beau, To me, it’s the highest compliment I can give any man or woman. [bold]And, like Beau, he has a backbone like a RAMROD!,”[/bold] - Joe Biden

Anyone know where I can find that video? My mouth dropped when he said that. It was just before Joe became the nominee and was talking up Pete for a possible job in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 251July 26, 2024 6:28 AM

When Obama was considering a bolder choice than Biden for a running mate in '08 he said, "Barack Hussein Obama is change enough." When looking to elect the first woman (of color), that, too, may be change enough.

by Anonymousreply 252July 26, 2024 6:32 AM

Barack was a pussy on gay issues. Biden was more evolved and pro-gay than him at the time. The fact that he though his name was "change enough" is pure ego. So that does not mean he was correct in his fear of change.

by Anonymousreply 253July 26, 2024 6:37 AM

[quote] When Obama was considering a bolder choice than Biden for a running mate in '08 he said, "Barack Hussein Obama is change enough." When looking to elect the first woman (of color), that, too, may be change enough.

We're past that.

We've now had a black President, and a black/indian female Vice-President, who could be President.

Now it's time for a gay Vice-President.

THAT is the change we need.

by Anonymousreply 254July 26, 2024 6:38 AM

The new electorate no longer demands a white inoffensive straight man over 70.

There are plenty more options.

by Anonymousreply 255July 26, 2024 6:38 AM

With the stakes as existential as they are, maybe now’s not the time to be planting flags.

by Anonymousreply 256July 26, 2024 6:41 AM

Barack was a different time when the goal was to unite the country and appeal to both sides. It's not like that anymore. America is hyper polarized and most of the homophobia I guarantee is on the MAGA side now. I think the acceptance of Pete as a gay man on the ticket would be surprised. Just like everyone was saying "no one like Kamala" and then Democrats all got in line with laser focus and enthusiasm.

Pete could do that same thing is you stop and actually listen to him speak and stop focusing on his sexuality. Progressives and young people would love him and would have no problem with him being gay. And we DO NEED that group as well, not just "undecided" middle America.

by Anonymousreply 257July 26, 2024 6:42 AM

Especially when Harris’s electoral chances are now, at the very best, 50-50.

by Anonymousreply 258July 26, 2024 6:44 AM

[quote]maybe now’s not the time to be planting flags.

Who's planting flags? Pete is a very smart pick for VP even if he were straight. He's sharp, smart, proactive, takes the fight to the other side. He gets things done, he's not a divider, hater, or child calling people stupid names. He's young, former military and experienced and gets social media which is very important now for voters under 40.

by Anonymousreply 259July 26, 2024 6:46 AM

R256 ENOUGH with your concerns.

Gay-friendly millennials are now THE adults in the room and they're sick and tired of walking on eggshells to accommodate old Boomer prejudices

by Anonymousreply 260July 26, 2024 6:50 AM

Biden’s secret sauce was his greater appeal - maybe by about 5% over Hillary & other Dems - to older & non-college educated whites in the Blue Wall states, with their very specific demographics. Will Pete be able to replicate that? Will his presence on the ticket repel older Blacks? These are, yes, concerns for anyone who thinks this election is existential. And we ignore them at our own peril.

by Anonymousreply 261July 26, 2024 6:53 AM

y'all need a different hobby.

by Anonymousreply 262July 26, 2024 6:54 AM

Tl;dr Strategically speaking, Harris's VP should be a youngish, good-looking white guy who knows his way around social media. In today’s world, where selfies and tweets can make or break a campaign, it’s crucial to have someone with a strong media presence. This guy won’t be the one posting, but he should definitely have the charisma to back up the campaign’s online efforts. After all, looking good and having a solid social media game plan is a powerful combo!

For shits and giggles, I googled stock photo of a handsome white young male politician type, and this was my favorite of the results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263July 26, 2024 7:01 AM

[quote] Will his presence on the ticket repel older Blacks?

Are these "Older Blacks" even still alive four years later?

by Anonymousreply 264July 26, 2024 7:01 AM

R261 = Susan Collins.

Look Susan, your pearl clutching has got to stop or you are going to choke yourself to death.

Pete is not running for President. And as already said, older blacks are not going to cut off their nose to spite their face. Especially in this high stakes election.

by Anonymousreply 265July 26, 2024 7:02 AM

Pete is as interesting as day old white bread.

by Anonymousreply 266July 26, 2024 7:05 AM

When was the last time someone in government actually did this? Pete gets social media is important.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267July 26, 2024 7:06 AM

R266 is racist. White bread? Really? Go back to Lipstick Alley you silly troll.

by Anonymousreply 268July 26, 2024 7:07 AM

Pete and Chasten with the kids

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269July 26, 2024 7:53 AM

R269 = That photo will keep black voters AWAY in November. That picture is one of many reasons a Hillbilly isn't going to be VEEP in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 270July 26, 2024 8:08 AM

R270, no it won't.

Maybe with another politician it might.

But the alternative is TRUMP. They can vote Kamala/Pete or they can enjoy Trump. :)

by Anonymousreply 271July 26, 2024 8:11 AM

The case to include Pete in the vetting process for the VP nomination has been CLEARLY made in this thread.

I wish there was some way we could get Kamala's team to realize that he should definitely be considered to be her running mate.

by Anonymousreply 272July 26, 2024 8:48 AM

If Pete were NOT gay no one on DL would be giving a shit about him.

He would still be the mayor of south bend today. He might still be a great mayor but he would be a straight mayor in a medium sized town no one here gives a shit about,

He would be a good mayor married to a women and a non issue on DL except for those that wanted to fuck the cute straight mayor of south bend Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 273July 26, 2024 9:51 AM

In my home state of Michigan, the failure of so many usually reliable Black male voters to cast a ballot in 2016 is but one reason Trump narrowly won. So the argument that Black voters would not sit out this election, too, falls on deaf ears.

by Anonymousreply 274July 26, 2024 11:11 AM

And while Pete could never win a state wide election as Trump and Ike could have if they had any interest at all in a state office Pete could not.

In fact there are only two cities in Ind that Pete could be mayor of South Bend and Bloomington.

by Anonymousreply 275July 26, 2024 11:20 AM

Doug Emhoff and Chasten are holding a fundraiser together in Fire Island next week. Could be a good sign for Pete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276July 26, 2024 11:22 AM

[quote]R276 Doug Emhoff and Chasten are holding a fundraiser together in Fire Island next week. Could be a good sign for Pete.

Not if they run off together!

by Anonymousreply 277July 26, 2024 11:40 AM

I do wonder what I’d have changed “Buttigieg” to at Ellis Island, myself. It’s an annoying name.

Maybe just Button? Buttongrace? (No, that doesn’t work.)

by Anonymousreply 278July 26, 2024 11:46 AM

I am honestly against a Pete nomination simply for the fact that he is in this current administration. We need fresh blood.

by Anonymousreply 279July 26, 2024 11:47 AM

[quote] I think it could be a winner.

I couldn't agree more!

by Anonymousreply 280July 26, 2024 12:01 PM

He's still a little bit too obvious for me. The way he tees up the chance to mention to Rachel Maddow 'my neighbours.... in Michigan'. The quick repetition that Michigan is now in fact his home (hmm, might you be planning to run for office there soon Pete?). Teeing up the cute little story about the 3 year old black adopted daughter watching the historic moment on the TV when (voice cracks) 'Kamala Harris is about to become the first black woman President'..... I mean, try not to signpost the politicking too obviously to the casual viewer, that's all I'm saying, Pete? Yes, we understand your daughter now believes she can be President.

All in all, Pete still gives the impression of someone trying very, very hard to fashion his entire life into an approximation of what he thinks is the model for the technocratic liberal governing elite of the future... being gay and in Indiana was a significant bump in the road there but with Chasten and the kids he is now about as heteronormative as it is possible for a gay family in Michigan to be, so, on to high office I guess. Or not.

by Anonymousreply 281July 26, 2024 12:53 PM

He’s a dime-a-dozen McKinsey asshat.

by Anonymousreply 282July 26, 2024 12:58 PM

I think the bigger problem for Pete is the appearance of a flimsy resume. Why would you pick someone who has only been a provincial city mayor and secretary of transportation (with dubious accomplishments) when there are so many other candidates who are well-liked governors or senators with excellent track records? He's smart, no doubt about it, but that's not enough in this field.

by Anonymousreply 283July 26, 2024 12:58 PM

His resume is flimsy, and he’s not done anything spectacular with the positions he’s had.

Picking him will bring an endless onslaught of “DEI hire” accusations from the other side, and we don’t need that distraction right now. Pick a straight white married male.

by Anonymousreply 284July 26, 2024 1:23 PM

R281 It must be happy hour in Western Europe right now.

by Anonymousreply 285July 26, 2024 1:24 PM

Pete will make a great president in about 8 years from now. Kamala receives no political equity in selecting him.

by Anonymousreply 286July 26, 2024 1:26 PM

I forgot that Pete was now in Michigan. If he wants a different job they could move the family to Fabulous Ferndale and he could run for mayor. My money is on him winning.

He could then follow in the footsteps of the great Jamie Blanchard , who was only ferndale-adjacent and run for higher state office.

Then when he is sixty ……

by Anonymousreply 287July 26, 2024 1:33 PM

Patience, my gays, patience.

by Anonymousreply 288July 26, 2024 1:41 PM

R285 Why no, it's barely 3PM, and we don't drink weak piss like Bud light over here so never a good idea to start this early ;)

by Anonymousreply 289July 26, 2024 2:43 PM

He is the least presidental of any person, he need to stay in the back.

by Anonymousreply 290July 26, 2024 3:06 PM

[quote] If Pete were NOT gay no one on DL would be giving a shit about him.

That's the point, dumbass R273.

We are supporting him BECAUSE he is gay, which is exactly what we should be doing!!!

But beyond that, he HAS the resume to be considered for the job of Vice-President, which stacks up higher than any of the other people under consideration, with maybe the exception of Mark Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 291July 26, 2024 3:09 PM

The better question is what will he do next? Stay at DOT? Run for an Important elected position in Michigan? CNN?

R291 exactly. Some on DL have said that America won’t care about his sexuality. As you state so clearly it’s the main reason for supporting him.

by Anonymousreply 292July 26, 2024 3:13 PM

He’s never been elected to any elected official job higher than Mayor. I doubt he could win any election in Michigan. Maybe Congressmen but it depends on where he actually lives.

by Anonymousreply 293July 26, 2024 3:45 PM

The dude takes back shots from Chasten, clearly he's open to anything.

by Anonymousreply 294July 26, 2024 3:51 PM

He’s good at appearing on TV and acting as a surrogate. He should probably be running campaigns for other candidates. Trying to get elected himself is not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 295July 26, 2024 3:54 PM

Move to Ferndale and run for Congress. Ferndale, pleasant ridge, Royal oak, Birmingham etc are fairly moderate to liberal areas.

Or for a better house they could move to Pleasant Ridge.

by Anonymousreply 296July 26, 2024 3:55 PM

Indiana geography lesson:

South Bend is north.

North Vernon is south.

And French Lick is nothing like it sounds.

by Anonymousreply 297July 26, 2024 4:06 PM

Ramrod!! You got that right, Joe!

by Anonymousreply 298July 26, 2024 4:06 PM

You fangutls are not very rational. R250, it’s not Pete’s campaign. You talk as if he’ll be the star. That’s the least appealing type of running mate.

by Anonymousreply 299July 26, 2024 4:07 PM

There are better positions for Buttegieg in the cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 300July 26, 2024 4:08 PM

[quote] There are better positions for Buttegieg in the cabinet.

Don't you mean THE CLOSET?

Fuck that.

We've been shoved in there long enough.

Pete Buttigieg for Vice-President!!!!

by Anonymousreply 301July 26, 2024 4:11 PM

Too cramped in there for me, baby, let's go to the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 302July 26, 2024 4:12 PM

[quote]we don't drink weak piss like Bud light over here

Neither do many Americans

by Anonymousreply 303July 26, 2024 4:26 PM

He's such s boring gay. I fall asleep just looking at him.

by Anonymousreply 304July 26, 2024 5:06 PM

Many on DL , based on many previous posts would attack Pete , and his ads which highlighted his military service

and his few months time in a combat zone. Several, based in previous posts, on DL would make comments shaming Pete and his service.

Sadly Pete is no more or less a combat vet than Vance. Both remf pogues, like Al Gore was, not the killers some DL posters would only see as the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 305July 26, 2024 5:16 PM

Vance was a reporter, Pete worked security. Did Vance lean Arabic?

by Anonymousreply 306July 26, 2024 5:21 PM

They were both remf pogues not combat arms. And on DL people will attack them both or attack neither for being remf pogues. The honest ones anyway.

by Anonymousreply 307July 26, 2024 5:29 PM

I love listen to Pete speak when he discusses policy and tears down Republicans, but I cringe when he starts talking about his home life with Chastin and their kids: "You should come into our home and see Chastin and I pack lunches and change diapers..." like some frau Hallmark movie.

by Anonymousreply 308July 26, 2024 5:31 PM

Chasten packs lunches and changes diapers. Pete watches football and takes out the garbage.

by Anonymousreply 309July 26, 2024 5:39 PM

[quote] Chasten packs lunches and changes diapers. Pete watches football and takes out the garbage.

All choreographed and designed by Pete to create an image suitable for his political ambitions. He’s so slick and fake.

by Anonymousreply 310July 26, 2024 6:08 PM

R310 yes because he is the first fake politicians. All the non gay ones are real. You are a fkin cunt. Maybe he really does enjoy watching football so of course they are going to play out his traditional masculine role in the family. How old you? Actually don’t answer that. You are a boomer aren’t you. Be honest because if you are it leads to my theory that boomer gays are fkin resentful.

by Anonymousreply 311July 26, 2024 6:39 PM

[quote] Chasten packs lunches and changes diapers. Pete watches football and takes out the garbage.

Also, Pete drinks the beer and Chasten drinks the wine.

Like a proper husband and wife!

Haha.... just kidding. I made fun of them for this before, but whatever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312July 26, 2024 8:53 PM

R312 they both look so happy.

by Anonymousreply 313July 26, 2024 8:55 PM

[quote]They were both remf pogues not combat arms.

Not a term I hear very often, r307. Kudos for using it.

by Anonymousreply 314July 26, 2024 9:04 PM

For people who like that sort of thing ...

by Anonymousreply 315July 26, 2024 10:33 PM

Chasten is so common and lower class, Pete could do better.

by Anonymousreply 316July 26, 2024 10:34 PM

Of all the things that Pete is wide open to, being her VP pick is the least interesting.

by Anonymousreply 317July 26, 2024 10:45 PM

I suppose if she employed him to get her coffee that may be one responsibility he doesn’t screw up. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 318July 26, 2024 10:53 PM

R316 There is not enough of us to be class selective.

by Anonymousreply 319July 26, 2024 10:54 PM

Chasten is a basic overweight hillbilly.

by Anonymousreply 320July 26, 2024 11:59 PM

R320 - So THAT explains his fondness for banjo-pickin' and squealin' like a pig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321July 27, 2024 1:03 AM

[quote]His resume is flimsy, and he’s not done anything spectacular with the positions he’s had.

Flimsy resume? If we went by that standard I would never have been elected President. - DJT

by Anonymousreply 322July 27, 2024 1:17 AM

[quote]Sadly Pete is no more or less a combat vet than Vance.

Oh please, Pete is far more of a man than Vance. But to your point, Vance plays up his military service like there is now tomorrow, so does Trump and his supporters. Pete plays down his time in the military service, even humble about it saying he just mostly drove people around in a an active war zone.

by Anonymousreply 323July 27, 2024 1:26 AM

If not VIP, then Secretary of State. He should be representing Americans on the world stage.

by Anonymousreply 324July 27, 2024 1:29 AM

VP and VIP

by Anonymousreply 325July 27, 2024 1:29 AM

[quote] Chasten is a basic overweight hillbilly.

Why are you people so CRUEL??

by Anonymousreply 326July 27, 2024 1:44 AM

Secretary of State would be good training for him.

Although I would love to make him my Sex-a-tary.

by Anonymousreply 327July 27, 2024 1:45 AM

[quote] If not VIP, then Secretary of State.

His relevant experience for “qualifying “ him to be Secretary of Transportation was that he repaired streets, filling potholes in South Bend. In your brain, what is his relevant experience that qualifies him to be Secretary of State?

by Anonymousreply 328July 27, 2024 1:49 AM

Does anyone else think 'buddy-gig' when they see his name?

by Anonymousreply 329July 27, 2024 1:51 AM

Pete's queer so queer pollyanna sparkle ponies are never going shut the fuck up with their lollypop rainbow wet dreams about President Pete.

by Anonymousreply 330July 27, 2024 1:52 AM

R328 sounds more dim than the pot hole he fell in. Secretary of transportation is a very high level job, he's managing a trillion dollar budget with thousands of employees, meeting with top leaders, around the country and around the world because he's also in control of the nation's ports. It's not a big step to move to Secretary of State. At lease he has actual military training. That's a lot more than Hillary had and many others in that job.

by Anonymousreply 331July 27, 2024 1:58 AM

Secretary of State is a diplomat who represents the United States government in dealings with foreign countries. They don’t need “actual military training”.

by Anonymousreply 332July 27, 2024 2:08 AM

Madeleine earned a doctorate in 1975. She was chief legislative assistant to a U.S. senator. She worked as Congressional Liaison for the NationalSecuity Council before moving to the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars at the Smithsonian Institution. She joined the academic staff at Georgetown University, specializing in Eastern European studies. She also directed the university's program on women in global politics. She served as a major Democratic Party foreign policy advisor, briefing vice-presidential candidate Geraldine Ferraro and presidential candidate Michael Dukakis. Under Clinton Albright was employed to handle the transition to a new administration at the National Security Council. He then made her U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, her first diplomatic posting.

Then she became Secretary of State.

Warren Christopher started his career as a U.S. Supreme Court law clerk. He was as special counsel to California Governor Pat Brown, then United States Deputy Attorney General. President Johnson selected him to assist federal efforts to combat the urban riots in Detroit during July 1967 and in Chicago during April 1968. He was Deputy Secretary of State under Carter. He headed the vice presidential search Bill Clinton's presidential campaign and served as the Director of his presidential Transition.

Then he became Secretary of State.

Colin Powell. Dean Rusk. Henry Kissinger. John Kerry. James Baker.

But "Secretary of State would be good training for him."

Some of you people are astounding in the shallowness of your Pete colored glasses. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 333July 27, 2024 2:16 AM

New POLL out on who Kamala Harris should pick as her VP.

And guess what? Pete comes in at NUMBER TWO!

So fuck all you haters!

[quote] Ever since President Biden ended his reelection bid Sunday, there’s been little doubt about who’s likely to replace him atop the Democratic ticket: Vice President Kamala Harris.

[quote] But one mystery remains: Who will Harris recruit as her running mate?

[quote] Welcome to the veepstakes. It’s a time-honored Washington tradition. Speculation swirls. Names emerge. Pundits pontificate. Vetting begins. Ultimately, a new political partnership is born.

[quote] According to a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll, which was conducted from July 19 to 22, Democrats don’t have a clear favorite for the job — yet. When shown a list of potential Harris running mates and asked to “select all” they would “approve of,” a plurality of voters who identify as Democrats or Democratic-leaning independents answered “not sure” (30%) or “none of the above” (6%).

[quote] The next-highest finishers were California Gov. Gavin Newsom (30%), Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg (25%) and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (24%) — the most familiar names on the list.

[quote] Less prominent — but potentially more realistic — Democratic contenders such as Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro (24%), Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly (18%), Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (15%) and North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (11%) brought up the rear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334July 27, 2024 2:18 AM

I can't wait for this to be over so we can stop with this stupid Pete worship. The guy speaks well and sucks cock. Sounds like most of the successful gay men I know, but I wouldn't make them Vice President because somehow that soothes my butthurt.

by Anonymousreply 335July 27, 2024 2:20 AM

I can't wait for this to be over so we can stop with this stupid Pete haters.

There fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 336July 27, 2024 2:32 AM

Pete is young, smart and a fighter, that's all I care about, the others are really the "mayo" of the pick if you want to be brutally honest.

by Anonymousreply 337July 27, 2024 2:38 AM

Pete is not qualified for anything, including the position he currently holds. No, Elaine Chow wasn’t qualified either.

by Anonymousreply 338July 27, 2024 2:43 AM

Look, this is a sped up election cycle due to the change at the top of the ticket. There's barely time to get the public on board with Kamala, let alone her VP. Having someone who already has a national profile as a running mate would be an asset because, qualified as some of these other candidates are, they still aren't as well-known nationally as Pete is thanks to his 2020 run. As for the insistence that Kamala pick a straight white guy as a running mate, Wisconsin has a lesbian senator, Michigan has a female governor, and Pennsylvania has a Jewish governor. These are key states and aren't as narrow minded as everyone is insisting.

by Anonymousreply 339July 27, 2024 2:44 AM

THANK YOU, R339.

I never would have thought that Datalounge of all places would be filled with small minded homophobes.

But that's exactly what it looks like.

They'd rather have yet ANOTHER straight, white male in the top leadership position, rather than go with the BOLD choice of a gay Vice-Presidential pick.

That's really fucking SAD.

by Anonymousreply 340July 27, 2024 2:52 AM

[quote]Wisconsin has a lesbian senator, Michigan has a female governor, and Pennsylvania has a Jewish governor. These are key states and aren't as narrow minded as everyone is insisting.

So just pick one of those people. Whitmer or Shapiro.

by Anonymousreply 341July 27, 2024 2:55 AM

R340, some of us see a bigger picture. You wanna gamble this year, try Powerball. Homophobia? You should plant seeds in your keyboard so your tears will grow a garden.

by Anonymousreply 342July 27, 2024 2:59 AM

[quote]I never would have thought that Datalounge of all places would be filled with small minded homophobes.

It's mainly one or two Trolls, probably a Russian and American Boomer from the sound of it. The ant-gay digs sound like something a Russian Babushka would say trying to sound American. You know how they feel about gays in Russia. And you can thank old Boomers for the internalized homophobia that created the Log Cabin Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 343July 27, 2024 3:00 AM

[quote]and Pennsylvania has a Jewish governor.

Pennsylvania has a large Jewish population. The Tree of Life Synagogue massacre happened here, and the entire state condemned it. A Pittsburgh jury sentenced that antisemitic asshole to death.

by Anonymousreply 344July 27, 2024 3:02 AM

[quote]some of us see a bigger picture. You wanna gamble this year, try Powerball.

Homophobia is not a gamble, going with a 60 year old White heto is the gamble. What part of the 70% of American society saying there were tired of Two Old White Men on the ticket did you not get for the last 12 months?

by Anonymousreply 345July 27, 2024 3:03 AM

When the Russians see the stupid here, they'll move on to some place they can make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 346July 27, 2024 3:03 AM

And how many old white men is Harris considering, R345? She's just not gonna pick your white man and you're having a tanty.

Get this through your head: politically, he's not viable yet. It's hard, but it's simple and it's true. Deal.

by Anonymousreply 347July 27, 2024 3:05 AM

All I can say is the reich wing Republicans, Fox News and Russian Trolls have been working hard long before today to take Pete down. They are afraid of him.

by Anonymousreply 348July 27, 2024 3:05 AM

I weirdly feel hesitant about watching the homophobia if he's a VP nom. I would sing his praises to anyone but he's kind of wonky. I guess he wants more but I like him in a cabinet role like transportation secretary where he can shine.. as a bureaucrat!

by Anonymousreply 349July 27, 2024 3:07 AM

I'm afraid of you.

by Anonymousreply 350July 27, 2024 3:07 AM

[quote] All I can say is the reich wing Republicans, Fox News and Russian Trolls have been working hard long before today to take Pete down. They are afraid of him.

Exactly.

They know that a Harris/Buttigieg ticket would be unbeatable.

by Anonymousreply 351July 27, 2024 3:08 AM

He’s unelectable. Not because he’s gay. But because he’s unqualified and comes across as fake and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 352July 27, 2024 3:09 AM

Insulting people isn't going to make Pete suddenly competent or improve his chances of being selected.

by Anonymousreply 353July 27, 2024 3:10 AM

[quote]Get this through your head: politically, he's not viable yet. It's hard, but it's simple and it's true. Deal.

All those kind of old school rules went out the window with Trump. He won with NO EXPERIENCE, and he was a known misogynist and racist. Get That Through Your Head.

by Anonymousreply 354July 27, 2024 3:10 AM

[quote]He’s unelectable.

Tell that to the people who voted for him in the Iowa caucus. He won that with less experience than he has now.

by Anonymousreply 355July 27, 2024 3:12 AM

Undetectable? Maybe you should talk to these people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356July 27, 2024 3:14 AM

[quote]He’s unelectable. Tell that to the people who voted for him in the Iowa caucus.

Let me know when Iowa becomes relevant for a Democrat in a general election.

by Anonymousreply 357July 27, 2024 3:16 AM

Let me know when you can admit you are wrong about his respectability. Have some humble pie while you are at it.

by Anonymousreply 358July 27, 2024 3:19 AM

[quote]All those kind of old school rules went out the window with Trump. He won with NO EXPERIENCE, and he was a known misogynist and racist. Get That Through Your Head.

So if they elect a misogynist and racist they can elect a gay man. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 359July 27, 2024 3:20 AM

^^electability

by Anonymousreply 360July 27, 2024 3:20 AM

American would rather elect a upstanding gay man than a racist misogynist 78 year old man. So yeah.

by Anonymousreply 361July 27, 2024 3:21 AM

[quote]Let me know when Iowa becomes relevant for a Democrat in a general election.

Actually, since Iowa is known to be very conservative and Republican, if you can win there being a gay man, then you should not have a problem in more progressive Democratic leaning states.

by Anonymousreply 362July 27, 2024 3:23 AM

[quote]The 2020 Iowa Democratic presidential caucuses, the first nominating contest in the Democratic Party primaries for the 2020 presidential election, took place on February 3, 2020. Pete Buttigieg received the most state delegate equivalents (SDEs) and therefore the most delegates, with one SDE and two delegates more than Bernie Sanders, who had narrowly won the popular vote with 26.5%. It was the first time that the Iowa caucuses published the popular vote results of their contest.

r356, Sanders got the most votes, but Buttigieg ended up with 2 more national delegates than Sanders. So Buttigieg "won" with only 25% of the vote, despite the fact that 75% of Iowa caucus voters wanted someone other than him. Not the ringing endorsement some make it out to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363July 27, 2024 3:24 AM

A win is a win. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. You should know that Natasha.

by Anonymousreply 364July 27, 2024 3:26 AM

[quote]Actually, since Iowa is known to be very conservative and Republican, if you can win there being a gay man, then you should not have a problem in more progressive Democratic leaning states.

He won a Democratic Primary there, Competing against other Democrats for Democratic votes. He will never win a statewide election there, nor will any Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 365July 27, 2024 3:27 AM

Before 2008, no one thought a black guy named Barack Hussein Obama could ever win. But he did. The truth is we all have no fucking idea who is electable and who isn't until all the votes are actually cast. I'm sure the Harris team is doing tons of internal polling and weighing all of the options extremely carefully. Maybe their data will point to someone other than Pete being the best choice. But to say he shouldn't even be considered simply because he's gay is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 366July 27, 2024 3:29 AM

r364, he lost the popular vote in Iowa and only got 25% of the vote. Let's see how good getting only 25% does him in a national election.

by Anonymousreply 367July 27, 2024 3:29 AM

[quote]Maybe their data will point to someone other than Pete being the best choice.

Anyone with more than two brain cells can see that Shapiro is the best choice. Can Pete deliver Pennsylvania?? No, he can’t deliver any states.

by Anonymousreply 368July 27, 2024 3:32 AM

[quote] Anyone with more than two brain cells can see that Shapiro is the best choice

For Israel.

And Zionists.

by Anonymousreply 369July 27, 2024 3:36 AM

VP is not about delivering a state. I know the talking heads love to say it's all about bringing the vote but in past, most VP's were no picked for that. VP's are picked because they can do the job and more importantly, they seem like someone the President can work with for the next 8 years. Its very short sided to say this someone is going to deliver a specific state.

by Anonymousreply 370July 27, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote]talking heads love to say it's all about bringing the vote but in past, most VP's were no picked for that

We're not living in the past any more. We need to win three important states. Shapiro and Whitmer happen to be the Governors of two of them.

by Anonymousreply 371July 27, 2024 3:53 AM

Shapiro can still deliver Pennsylvania without being the nominee.

by Anonymousreply 372July 27, 2024 3:55 AM

Andy Beshear would be a great pick for VP, if it's not Pete.

I think that he's very eloquent, and sincere, and gracious.

The total opposite of Trump and Vance.

And he is tough too. A former Prosecutor and Attorney General.

Just listen to him on Morning Joe, and tell me that he wouldn't chop Vance to pieces in a debate....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373July 27, 2024 4:35 AM

R355, Rick Santorum won the Iowa caucuses.

by Anonymousreply 374July 27, 2024 4:57 AM

I like Beshear if not Pete. We need youth on the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 375July 27, 2024 5:10 AM

No to Mark Kelley. He looks like a Muppets cast member.

You need a handsome guy like Andy Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 377July 27, 2024 5:19 AM

Kelley is an astronaut though, not some fake JD Marine. But I would put him in 2nd choice. Maybe he would be good as a cabinet member.

by Anonymousreply 378July 27, 2024 5:24 AM

Yes, a handsome devil like me.

by Anonymousreply 379July 27, 2024 5:24 AM

Despite the "report" that it's down to Kelly, Cooper and Shapiro, I'm still holding out hope that Pete is in the running.

It would be a dream ticket for me, and I'd sell the fuck out of it to my family and friends and even strangers.

And trust me, I've never done that before.

by Anonymousreply 380July 27, 2024 9:54 AM

It can’t be Cooper. It would allow his MAGA Lt. Governor the opportunity to do real damage while he is on the campaign trail out of state.

by Anonymousreply 381July 27, 2024 10:44 AM

R380 you never went out of your way to sell a dem ticket before based on your statement and you will this time , based on your statement, if you get the exact ticket you want?

Well Harris should be calling you direct to find out what to do.

by Anonymousreply 382July 27, 2024 11:02 AM

Trump is attacked for his maga BS so Trump doubled down and went 2x maga. Rather than balance.

Harris is being attacked for being woke and the most ultra liberal candidate in history. So many here want her to double down and go as liberal as possible. Many insist on liberal gay and woke.

True believers to the right of me true believers to the left of me .

It will be Kelly because she wants to win. She wants to appeal to more than DL.

by Anonymousreply 383July 27, 2024 11:11 AM

I'm totally with you, R383 (apart from the belief the pick will be Kelly as it appears vetting has raised some red flags). Too many posters just don't believe in math.

by Anonymousreply 384July 27, 2024 12:45 PM

[quote]All those kind of old school rules went out the window with Trump. He won with NO EXPERIENCE, and he was a known misogynist and racist. Get That Through Your Head.

Thinking people didn't vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 385July 27, 2024 12:49 PM

[quote]She wants to appeal to more than DL.

And she'll have to. And she can. But not without doing the math. For all DL venerates Nancy Pelosi, who is the hardest, shrewdest tactician I've seen, Nancy would never pick Pete at this point. She does the math, she analyses the circumstances, and she recognizes the way to make change is to do what you have to to get elected first. Pete colored glasses. Thank God these people are stuck here and not running campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 386July 27, 2024 12:51 PM

But moi (😻) queer 🏳️‍🌈 and moi 💕LURV 💕Mayor Pete so cute 🥰 and smart and moi want 🍭🦄🌈

by Anonymousreply 387July 27, 2024 12:58 PM

Can I just say, too, with my gay and apparently homophobic heart, I'd love it if Pete could be a viable candidate this time around. I just haven't heard an argument that convinces me he can. He is inexperienced compared to a number of viable options. I cannot shoehorn the fact we're both gay into a belief he will do more good than harm to the calculus. This is America we're talking about. It may be able to take a woman of color as president, but it's America. Beyond school shootings, Jesus and hating the poor, there's only so much it can take at once.

His time will come. I believe that. It just cannot be this time and even if I wanted to ignore the big picture and will it, it's not his time nor the right time to gamble. Let's not get greedy in a country where but for the margin of error, Trump still has the upper hand in the polls.

by Anonymousreply 388July 27, 2024 1:07 PM

In all of the discussion after the Biden announcement, the total emphasis has been on women. If the Dems are going to win in Nov, they had better start talking to men and the issues that concern them, since they are far behind in the male vote. They already have the female vote, so it's time to get working on the male vote. It would be total idiocy to ignore them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389July 27, 2024 2:19 PM

Which V-P candidate would make men more likely to vote for Harris? Probably Kelly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390July 27, 2024 2:22 PM

Probably? Kelly is a man’s man. His personal strengths are strength and toughness.

Many American men and women still look up to this in 2024.

She needs a balanced thicket that has wide appeal not a perfect ticket that has deep appeal.

by Anonymousreply 391July 27, 2024 2:39 PM

[quote] BREAKING: Pete Buttigieg will join the White dudes for Kamala on Monday night. Let’s go.

Ok DLers, are you all going to be tripping over your caftans to join that Zoom call?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392July 27, 2024 2:49 PM

He has never been elected to anything yet, except mayor of a derilict city at that, he's very smart, but needs to get elected somewhere or be a prosecutor like Kamala, why has this not happened?

by Anonymousreply 393July 27, 2024 4:27 PM

America ain't voting for a fag, baby.

by Anonymousreply 394July 27, 2024 4:38 PM

r393 Because he's not a lawyer? And why should everyone be a prosecutor? American presidents rarely have been.

Also, he got more votes in that race for Indiana's state treasurer in 2010 than Bernie Sanders in the past three of Vermont's senatorial races combined. Some perspective, please.

by Anonymousreply 395July 27, 2024 5:01 PM

[quote]If not a VP slot, then a slot on the Supreme Court.

Shouldn't he get a law degree first, or is just that darn talented?

by Anonymousreply 396July 27, 2024 5:02 PM

R395 but he is a vet. Not a combat vet but still

Sec DOD

Then watch fucking heads explode.

by Anonymousreply 397July 27, 2024 5:06 PM

[quote] If not a VP slot, then a slot on the Supreme Court.

Coin slot or rosebud?

by Anonymousreply 398July 27, 2024 5:15 PM

Pete is "under consideration" but is not being actively vetted at this time.

Per MSNBC:

The VP candidates who've actually received vetting materials:

Mark Kelly

Josh Shapiro

Gretchen Whitmer

Roy Cooper

Tim Walz

The candidates who are under consideration:

Andy Beshear

Pete B.

JB Pritzker

by Anonymousreply 399July 27, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote] The candidates who are under consideration:

[quote] Andy Beshear

[quote] [bold]Pete B.[/bold]

[quote] JB Pritzker

YESSSSS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 400July 27, 2024 5:21 PM

R400, being “under consideration” in this context is a polite way of saying that you’re not under consideration.

by Anonymousreply 401July 27, 2024 7:02 PM

BREAKING------>>>Kamala has narrowed her list down to THREE....Shapiro. Kelly, Walz. .....[bold] PETE is NOT in the running anymore. [/bold].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402July 27, 2024 7:21 PM

How weird that she would eliminate Beshear.

He's probably the strongest candidate of the entire group.

I think that's a huge mistake.

by Anonymousreply 403July 27, 2024 7:25 PM

[quote] BREAKING------>>>Kamala has narrowed her list down to THREE....Shapiro. Kelly

So it’s really Shapiro and Kelly, just as the consensus on DL indicated ages ago, notwithstanding the Buttigieg trolls and the Beshear troll.

by Anonymousreply 404July 27, 2024 7:43 PM

[quote] BREAKING------>>>Kamala has narrowed her list down to THREE....Shapiro. Kelly, Walz.

But of course. Boomer 1, Boomer 2, Boomer 3.

What a fine way to give the middle finger to everyone under 55

by Anonymousreply 405July 27, 2024 7:44 PM

[quote] What a fine way to give the middle finger to everyone under 55

But it just feels so good to do that to the insufferable, obnoxious ones.

by Anonymousreply 406July 27, 2024 7:47 PM

[quote]But of course. Boomer 1, Boomer 2, Boomer 3. What a fine way to give the middle finger to everyone under 55

Shapiro is 51 and solidly Generation X. And he’s also the best choice.

by Anonymousreply 407July 27, 2024 7:49 PM

The young ones are a big part of the reason Kamala has momentum. Not ancient crones like you, R406, who do things out of spite or who insist that 82-year-old men are the only way.

by Anonymousreply 408July 27, 2024 7:49 PM

R407 he's the worst choice.

by Anonymousreply 409July 27, 2024 7:49 PM

She's making a mistake, not going with Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 410July 27, 2024 7:51 PM

Kamala is young at heart and Walz or Kelly would bridge the gap to make the ticket feel safe for boomers who aren't full MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 411July 27, 2024 7:51 PM

Not, R409, if he can help win Pennsylvania, the biggest get of the battleground states.

by Anonymousreply 412July 27, 2024 7:51 PM

[quote]How weird that she would eliminate Beshear. He's probably the strongest candidate of the entire group.

Beshear doesn’t get her any electoral votes. He’s popular in the South and in rural areas…states which will all vote Red. She needs to shore up PA, MI, and WI. Shapiro is the best option to do that. Whitmer could do it too, but two women on the ticket aren’t going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 413July 27, 2024 7:52 PM

And if I'm not mistaken, R406, it's the Boomers and old Gen Xers here, with their old racist prejudices leftover from the 1900s, who insisted that a black woman at the top of a ticket was unelectable.

What an about-face that was.

by Anonymousreply 414July 27, 2024 7:52 PM

Shapiro also helps retain the Jewish vote. Many Jews have started supporting Trump, due to the pro-terrorism faction of the far-Left.

by Anonymousreply 415July 27, 2024 7:54 PM

R415 how big is the Jewish vote?

Does it outnumber Gen Z and millennials?

by Anonymousreply 416July 27, 2024 7:58 PM

I like Beshear, but his Mountain Dew press conference last week was cringey. He doesn't have the natural charisma and humor of Tim Walz. Also, his tweet yesterday implying that he may be leaving Kentucky was strange. He's coming across as a try-hard.

Kamala is clearly picking someone who best helps her electoral chances. She's lucky that all 3 of the finalists are strong, likable and would make excellent presidents.

by Anonymousreply 417July 27, 2024 7:59 PM

I’ve not seen any polling since 10/7, R415, that shows any slippage of support for the Democratic Party among my fellow Jews.

by Anonymousreply 418July 27, 2024 7:59 PM

With the exception of the orthodox, Jewish voters are generally among the most liberal in the country. They don’t need Shapiro to feel comfortable voting for Kamala. Kamala’s husband is also Jewish and has actively been speaking out against anti-semitism.

by Anonymousreply 419July 27, 2024 8:02 PM

[quote]Harris is being attacked for being woke and the most ultra liberal candidate in history. So many here want her to double down and go as liberal as possible. Many insist on liberal gay and woke.

WRONG. Being gay is NOT ultra liberal, you realize there is a group called the Log Cabin Republicans right? Gay is no more "liberal" than divorce is these days. Maybe in the 50's you could call it that, but today, just like single parents or getting a divorce it has no meaning anymore. Get with the program Gramps.

by Anonymousreply 420July 27, 2024 8:05 PM

[quote]I like Beshear, but his Mountain Dew press conference last week was cringey. He doesn't have the natural charisma and humor

That's why Pete is a better choice, he's not trying to impress people with stunts. He just uses straight facts and common sense in a very clear and easy to understand way.

by Anonymousreply 421July 27, 2024 8:13 PM

[quote] Kamala is young at heart and Walz or Kelly

This ticket of "generational change" is just the oldest Boomers forced out for younger Boomers. I see.

by Anonymousreply 422July 27, 2024 8:14 PM

R420 JHC “ Many insist on liberal, gay, and woke” —-Now do you feel better

or will you argue that the Pete does not suggest liberal, gay, woke on the ticket ?

Junior the fucking point was not that all gays are woke or liberal or that all liberals are gay.

by Anonymousreply 423July 27, 2024 8:14 PM

[quote] how big is the Jewish vote?

The only states with significant Jewish populations are New York, Florida and California. Those states are already locked down, so it doesn't matter.

The Harris campaign will do extensive polling to determine if Shapiro helps or hurts them across several demographics, like young people, Midwesterners, Independents, etc. If their polling shows a VP Shapiro losing the youth vote, then they have to decide if winning PA is worth losing a significant number of young voters nationwide. It's all a numbers game, which is why these advisors and pollsters make a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 424July 27, 2024 8:18 PM

[quote]That's why Pete is a better choice, he's not trying to impress people with stunts. He just uses straight facts and common sense in a very clear and easy to understand way.

He’s smarmy and unlikable and looks like a rodent.

by Anonymousreply 425July 27, 2024 8:23 PM

[quote]If their polling shows a VP Shapiro losing the youth vote, then they have to decide if winning PA is worth losing a significant number of young voters nationwide. It's all a numbers game, which is why these advisors and pollsters make a lot of money.

Hopefully none of Hillary’s people are working on this campaign. She wasted a lot of money on advisors who were convinced that winning PA was a forgone conclusion for her.

by Anonymousreply 426July 27, 2024 8:25 PM

[quote] The only states with significant Jewish populations are New York, Florida and California. Those states are already locked down, so it doesn't matter.

Thank you! How ridiculous that we are expected to cater to less than 2.5% of the American population.

How about the Polish vote? The gypsy vote?

by Anonymousreply 427July 27, 2024 8:26 PM

Most of the “pro-Palestine” protestors you see on college campuses are paid agitators who are not going to vote anyway.

by Anonymousreply 428July 27, 2024 8:27 PM

R408/R414, seriously, you're sulking like a petulant child. For a know it all, you lack any grace. So to put it language you might understand: pipe down and sit quietly while the grown ups talk.

by Anonymousreply 429July 27, 2024 8:27 PM

Oh, yeah, Florida... Democratic bedrock.

by Anonymousreply 430July 27, 2024 8:27 PM

I'm glad Pete's not ready and not getting just to watch these children sulk.

by Anonymousreply 431July 27, 2024 8:28 PM

R431 just how humiliating is it that Boomers have to be told they need to hang them up? Like washed-up past their prime singers making spectacles of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 432July 27, 2024 8:31 PM

It's people your age who insisted that a black woman could never lead a presidential ticket. Those are your generation's issues and hangup. Not Millennials. Not Gen Z. YOU.

by Anonymousreply 433July 27, 2024 8:33 PM

[quote] So to put it language you might understand: pipe down and sit quietly while the grown ups talk.

No. I don't think so. I think the days of the Boomers calling the shots and telling everyone else to shut up are over. It's time for them to shut the fuck up and move over to the side.

by Anonymousreply 434July 27, 2024 8:38 PM

I really can't decide between Kelly and Shapiro. They're both so neck-and-neck. My choice changes depending upon the time of day. I'm not locking in my final answer until right before she announces her pick.

Gabby Giffords's super PAC just committed $15 million to get Harris and Democrats elected in November. That may get Mark the job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435July 27, 2024 8:46 PM

Who the fuck cares about Boomer, GenX nonsense? The task is to defeat the greatest threat to democracy in US history, so get the best person who will best help do that. Childishness is wasted effort.

by Anonymousreply 436July 27, 2024 8:51 PM

“Who the fuck cares…”

The one that keeps starting these threads. He is obsessed with the Gen crap. He can’t help himself.. And now he is very upset that folks are laughing at his choice for VP.

He can’t take the Pete rejection for VP

R436

by Anonymousreply 437July 27, 2024 8:56 PM

R436 DL certainly does care. Its members never miss an opportunity to trash Millennials, Gen Z and young people in general. And you wonder why the youth are leery of Boomers and older Gen X who do nothing but patronize and treat them with contempt and shove all of their concerns to the side.

by Anonymousreply 438July 27, 2024 8:57 PM

R438 how many of these Gen threads have you started?

How upset are you that DL is not on the Pete for VP bandwagon with you?

by Anonymousreply 439July 27, 2024 9:00 PM

I'm not even a Pete person, r439. I don't know what you're going on about. You must have missed your dementia pills today.

by Anonymousreply 440July 27, 2024 9:01 PM

Millennials need to wait their turn. There’s not going to be a Millennial President or VP until after we’ve had a Gen X. And for fucks sake, ENOUGH with the Boomers and the 80+ Silents who won’t get their incontinent asses out of the disproportionately large number of Congressional seats they are currently occupying. It’s time to go. Nobody should be dying of old age while they’re still in Congress.

by Anonymousreply 441July 27, 2024 9:19 PM

We really do need term limits and age limits.

When these laws were made the life expectancy was much lower. How long did the average person live in the fucking 18th century?

by Anonymousreply 442July 27, 2024 9:23 PM

[quote]You must have missed your dementia pills today.

This, from

[quote]And you wonder why the youth are leery of Boomers and older Gen X who do nothing but patronize and treat them with contempt and shove all of their concerns to the side.

You want to win, babe? Get some fucking money in the game.

by Anonymousreply 443July 27, 2024 9:31 PM

[quote] There’s not going to be a Millennial President or VP until after we’ve had a Gen X.

Why should we wait? Millennials are right about the age where we should be considering presidents from our generation. Don't blame us because you let the Boomers dominate, especially since so many of you are the Boomer Republicans' largest voting bloc and cheerleaders.

Mark my words: if Millennials

by Anonymousreply 444July 27, 2024 9:32 PM

The Generational Troll is on a roll

by Anonymousreply 445July 27, 2024 9:32 PM

R443 billionaire money should have no place in politics and that's one of the things we will look to change once corporate drone Boomers and Gen X move out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 446July 27, 2024 9:33 PM

Youngest high blood pressure case ever.

by Anonymousreply 447July 27, 2024 9:33 PM

You're so cute, R446. That honestly made me laugh.

At you, just to clear.

by Anonymousreply 448July 27, 2024 9:34 PM

R445 I'm only repeating what millions of young voters already think. It behooves you to step out of your AARP echo chamber some time.

by Anonymousreply 449July 27, 2024 9:35 PM

Oooh, somebody's found thesarus.com. Well done you! What do they give you at school for a prize?

I admire your honesty about the repetition. Your capacity for original thought became obvious posts ago.

by Anonymousreply 450July 27, 2024 9:39 PM

Since Pete’s now as likely as Walter Mondale to be the pick, can we just close this thread?

by Anonymousreply 451July 27, 2024 9:40 PM

[quote]Millennials need to wait their turn.

Millennials are in their fucking forties, dipshit. Bill Clinton was 46 when he became president.

by Anonymousreply 452July 27, 2024 9:40 PM

[quote]Since Pete’s now as likely as Walter Mondale to be the pick, can we just close this thread?

That's who he reminds me of!

by Anonymousreply 453July 27, 2024 9:43 PM

Fuck Gen X if they think we need to sit around and wait around for decades like they did. And for what? To get passed over like they did? The Gen Xers that are in the highest echelons are TERRIBLE. The 3 SCOTUS Republicans. Mike Johnson. Peter Thiel. Kristen Synema. Get bent.

by Anonymousreply 454July 27, 2024 9:44 PM

[quote]Since Pete’s now as likely as Walter Mondale to be the pick, can we just close this thread?

The Pete troll(s) already create multiple threads calling for Pete to be the VP choice.

by Anonymousreply 455July 27, 2024 9:44 PM

Shapiro isn't going to get the nod either. Too bad, so sad for all the DLers who want to make Israel the 51st state.

by Anonymousreply 456July 27, 2024 9:45 PM

[quote] Ok DLers, are you all going to be tripping over your caftans to join that Zoom call?

Only if he flashes dick.

by Anonymousreply 457July 27, 2024 10:42 PM

[quote] You want to win, babe? Get some fucking money in the game.

Oh there's money involved, all right. You must need some reminding that it was actually the Democrat's big money donors who insisted that Biden step down because he was too old. Don't be disingenuous and act like age and generational change isn't an important factor in this election. The fact that Biden had to be bumped at the last minute was an entire indictment on the Democrat's age problem!!

by Anonymousreply 458July 27, 2024 10:44 PM

No, it was a reflection on Joe's capacity to mount a winning campaign. The problem wasn't that he was old, but how his age was manifesting. Try not to overreach so much, it's far too easy to rebut. And I meant you need to get some money in the game, get a mortgage, grow up, stop stealing wifi and electricity from Starbucks all day. You type like you have nothing productive to do. Which you probably don't.

by Anonymousreply 459July 27, 2024 10:49 PM

When is Kamala going to announce her VP?

by Anonymousreply 460July 27, 2024 10:50 PM

R460, has to happen by Aug 7th with the virtual roll call thingamabob, so about a week and a half.

by Anonymousreply 461July 27, 2024 10:52 PM

[quote] The problem wasn't that he was old, but how his age was manifesting.

That's called aging, dearest! There are no two ways around it. A 70 or 80 year old doesn't have the stamina or wherewithal of a 45-year-old. I'm sorry that you don't understand basic human biology.

You know when we have sitting Democratic Supreme Court Justices and senators DYING in office and an incumbent president has to be bumped because he's too old and frail, that is an AGING problem.

by Anonymousreply 462July 27, 2024 10:53 PM

Chasten is already starting with the domestic housefrau posts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463July 27, 2024 10:57 PM

True, hon, but capacity is not uniform in any age group.

Look at you. I mean, it's obvious you took the "must try harder" to heart and just as obvious it didn't do a damn bit of good.

by Anonymousreply 464July 27, 2024 10:59 PM

Oh, and Pete's getting the VP nod, babe.

by Anonymousreply 465July 27, 2024 10:59 PM

Learn to quote, R464. Nobody know who you are referring to otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 466July 27, 2024 10:59 PM

*knows^

by Anonymousreply 467July 27, 2024 11:00 PM

Hon, everybody knows who I'm talking to. It couldn't be more obvious if you were in helmet on the short bus.

by Anonymousreply 468July 27, 2024 11:00 PM

Kamala called the house to say she pegs Pete as one of the top candidates. AND IT'S BEEN GOING FOR QUITE SOME TIME AND I DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE. Pete, I love you, stay.

by Anonymousreply 469July 27, 2024 11:05 PM

She's pegging him? Cool.

by Anonymousreply 470July 27, 2024 11:07 PM

Is Chasten a wine mom?

by Anonymousreply 471July 27, 2024 11:08 PM

He will be once Pete's off campaigning for KH and her new Veep pick!

by Anonymousreply 472July 27, 2024 11:10 PM

[quote] You know when we have sitting Democratic Supreme Court Justices and senators DYING in office and an incumbent president has to be bumped because he's too old and frail, that is an AGING problem.

A political commentator referred to Kamala as "young and vibrant" on the BBC the other day, which highlighted how far the goalposts have moved when it comes to American politicians' ages. Vibrant, yes, but she'll be sixty in a few months' time (yet she'll still be the youngest US presidential candidate since Obama in 2012). I actually think sixty is a great age for a presidential candidate - old enough to have gained a lot of experience, but not yet elderly - but "young" is not the right word.

by Anonymousreply 473July 27, 2024 11:23 PM

R473: seasoned.

by Anonymousreply 474July 27, 2024 11:25 PM

No more fucking Boomers. Jesus Christ they all have one foot in the grave and are stuck in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 475July 27, 2024 11:30 PM

r463 he's such a vapid twat. WTF does Pete see in him?

by Anonymousreply 476July 27, 2024 11:31 PM

Are we sure Chasten isn't trans?

by Anonymousreply 477July 28, 2024 4:20 AM

Shut up, R477.

Pete has such a lovely family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478July 28, 2024 10:16 AM

Pete Buttigieg Shares How He'd Campaign as Kamala Harris' VP | TMZ Live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479July 28, 2024 11:14 AM

[quote]I really can't decide between Kelly and Shapiro.

Shapiro would be a drag on the ticket and alienate the youth vote. Kelly needs to do drag since his speaking style is so boring.

by Anonymousreply 480July 28, 2024 12:23 PM

Fuck Gen X..... The Gen Xers that are in the highest echelons are TERRIBLE.

Oh yes, look at what the Millennials are bringing to the table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481July 28, 2024 12:26 PM

It's going to be top 3 finalist Walz. Like Obama in '08, Harris will pick the whitest man she can find. That might've been Kelly, but, reading between the lines, the vetting process seems to have unearthed some red flags in his past.

by Anonymousreply 482July 28, 2024 12:39 PM

[quote]Fuck Gen X The Gen Xers that are in the highest echelons are TERRIBLE. The 3 SCOTUS Republicans. Mike Johnson. Peter Thiel. Kristen Synema. Get bent.

[bold]You do realize Kamala is Gen-X right? As is Booker, Fetterman, Whitmer, Castro, Garcia, Swalwell, just to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 483July 28, 2024 12:46 PM

One might wonder what those red flags are with Kelly and why someone would keep mentioning red flags for Kelly without telling us what they are?

The only red flag I have saw was one he has now addressed and put to bed when he said he would sign in and support that legislation..

Kelly is not the one who allegedly helped cover up someone else’s sexual harassment problem.

by Anonymousreply 484July 28, 2024 12:49 PM

Well, it's more of a half red flag. Kelly being against unions and then suddenly 360 on it now that he's a possible VP puts him in the two faced category like JD Vance. Although never that extreme, but the general public does not do deep dives on that stuff, they here Vance was a never Trumper and change, Kelly was a never Union and changed. That's how they will read it.

by Anonymousreply 485July 28, 2024 12:53 PM

R458

So no real red flag at all. Not even a light pink flag.

Like Harris Kelly has statements about things that are not their current policy views. I think adults know that if you are going to win in Arizona leading with I Am A Big Union Man might not be the best way to be elected.

I have relatives involved in pro Union efforts in Arizona . They are elated about the very popular in that state Kelly running as VP.

by Anonymousreply 486July 28, 2024 1:04 PM

All I know about Kelly's vetting issues comes from a political writer/commentator (whose name is a lightning rod for some on these pages) who was extremely bullish from the very outset on what he was hearing about Kelly's chances. A bullishness that continued uninterrupted for a stint. And then, such talk suddenly stopped, with vetting concerns raised very obliquely.

by Anonymousreply 487July 28, 2024 1:27 PM

R487 Ah so it’s not nothing it’s one person not saying anything now that convinces you Kelly is in trouble. I bet you are a professional political insider.

by Anonymousreply 488July 28, 2024 1:30 PM

State of the Union panel this morning: less likely Kelly, and more likely Walz. Shapiro still there. I bet on Walz after the good buzz he’s gotten just this week—he covers a lot of bases.

by Anonymousreply 489July 28, 2024 2:50 PM

Yep, there’s no reason for Walz to be on the shortlist if he’s not going to be the pick.

by Anonymousreply 490July 28, 2024 2:56 PM

Military career ✔️ Schoolteacher✔️ Captured a red House seat and kept it✔️ Two-erm governor✔️ Farm issues expert✔️ Nebraska connections✔️

Looks like your favorite (white) uncle ✔️ Biological children✔️ Not weird✔️

by Anonymousreply 491July 28, 2024 3:13 PM

Shapiro has been the quietest out of all the VP candidates. We haven't heard a peep out of him all week. That makes me think it's him.

by Anonymousreply 492July 28, 2024 3:57 PM

[quote] Shapiro has been the quietest out of all the VP candidates. We haven't heard a peep out of him all week.

Unlike Pete, maybe Shapiro wants to remain dignified.

by Anonymousreply 493July 28, 2024 3:59 PM

The Sounds of Silence

by Anonymousreply 494July 28, 2024 4:02 PM

Or maybe he knows it's not him, so he's not going to waste his breath any more. Shapiro is the one who looks the most problematic (Israel + accused of covering up sexual harassment). I can't see why the Dems would want to deal with all that.

by Anonymousreply 495July 28, 2024 4:02 PM

Shapiro doesn't feel the need to campaign for it. Quiet confidence.

by Anonymousreply 496July 28, 2024 4:02 PM

I think it's probably down to either Shapiro or Walz. Both are good choices.

by Anonymousreply 497July 28, 2024 4:03 PM

[quote]Shapiro has been the quietest out of all the VP candidates.

You mean that Shapiro screaming at Trump to stop SHIT TALKING the economy was sotto vocce for MAGAts?

by Anonymousreply 498July 28, 2024 4:06 PM

Shapiro is not desperately begging for it on every TV network like Pete is.

by Anonymousreply 499July 28, 2024 4:09 PM

[quote] You do realize Kamala is Gen-X right? As is Booker, Fetterman, Whitmer, Castro, Garcia, Swalwell, just to name a few.

Kamala was born in 1964.

Technically, that puts her in the Baby Boomer generation, in the very last year of that generation.

GenX starts with people born in 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500July 28, 2024 5:15 PM

For the same reason as I have already noted, adding a Jewish man to a ticket headed by Kamala Harris is just too much change when you're trying to appeal to a non-college educated, overwhelming white, Blue Wall state.

by Anonymousreply 501July 28, 2024 5:27 PM

This is why Republicans are terrified of Josh Shapiro:

NYT: Shapiro won that fall even as Hillary Clinton lost the state, outperforming her in rural counties and running up his margins in the suburbs, in a preview of how he would win the governor’s race six years later — and, his supporters argue, how he could help Harris carry the battleground state this year.

A Fox News poll released Friday found that 61% of Pennsylvania voters viewed him favorably, a striking number in a closely divided state.

by Anonymousreply 502July 28, 2024 5:44 PM

The New York Times is out with a new article that suggests the favorites are now Cooper, Shapiro and Beshear. What do all three of them have in common? They were all state attorney generals, just like Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 503July 28, 2024 5:47 PM

If this is the article, R503, it doesn't state that those three are the favorites. It just notes that

[quote] Of the five or six vice-presidential options currently seen as the most serious contenders, two of them — Governors Roy Cooper of North Carolina and Andy Beshear of Kentucky — directly overlapped with Ms. Harris as attorneys general.

The article adds that Shapiro became Pennsylvania AG just when Harris was leaving her job as California AG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504July 28, 2024 5:59 PM

Every media outlet has a different hot take, but I barely see anyone talking about Cooper. Dark horse?

by Anonymousreply 505July 28, 2024 6:03 PM

It can’t be Cooper. He can’t leave the state & leave it to the mercies of his crazy lieutenant governor.

by Anonymousreply 506July 28, 2024 6:07 PM

Quote of the day:

Sarafina Chitika, a spokeswoman for the Harris campaign, criticized Mr. Trump’s focus on Mr. Biden. “Tonight in Minnesota, a bitter, unhinged, 78-year-old convicted felon kept clinging to his lies about the 2020 election he lost being ‘rigged,’ rambled about his former opponent and golfing, and made excuses for why he’s afraid to debate Vice President Harris,” she said in a statement.

by Anonymousreply 507July 28, 2024 6:08 PM

[quote]A Fox News poll released Friday found that 61% of Pennsylvania voters viewed him favorably, a striking number in a closely divided state.

Shapiro is pretty popular in PA for the work he did as AG in exposing the Catholic Church sex abuse scandal. He named names and released a thorough report and exposed the massive degree of cover-up that went on.

by Anonymousreply 508July 28, 2024 6:09 PM

[quote] Kamala was born in 1964. Technically, that puts her in the Baby Boomer

No, No, it doesn't, this have been discussed here many times. The original date defining Gen-X was 1961, by the man who wrote the book and first coined the term. He was writing about himself and his own generation. It was changed 20 years later other people wanting to wrap up things in a nice little bow. But it's not accurate and many Gen-Xers don't buy into it. Wiki is a countributative source, anyone can add to it. it's not an official source.

Remember Obama was considered the first Gen-X president when he was actually president. Now they have re-written history and call him Generation Jones. Which is not really recognized. I am sure you can find dozens of articles NOW that says otherwise, but at the time if you look at the article I posed they agree with what I am saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509July 29, 2024 4:20 AM

I'm a Gen Xer born in '76 and I have nothing in common with someone born in '61. 1965 is probably accurate for the start of Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 510July 29, 2024 4:22 AM

There is no way someone born in 1946 as a Boomer has the same life experiences as someone born in 1961. No one born in the early 60's remembers the assignation of John F. Kennedy, free love, drugs, and all the other adult things Boomer were into back then.

I was born in 1963, and have no memory of Kennedy, Everyone I know who is a Boomer remembers the day he was shot. So it's more accurate to say everything after that is a new generation, Gen-X.

by Anonymousreply 511July 29, 2024 4:26 AM

You stupid bitches arguing Kamala was a Boomer because she was born in 1964 and not a few weeks later? Generations blend into each other, there are not really hard cut off dates, they are artificial markers, like being born on the cusp of two astrology signs. She's more Gen-X in life experience than Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 512July 29, 2024 4:31 AM

Chasten is probably pushing Pete to get Kamala for the VP spot.

by Anonymousreply 513July 29, 2024 4:37 AM

Hell, if I were Chasten I would too. The one thing I really don't like about Pete is the heteronormative double baby thing. They were a lot more interesting before that. I actually saw him in person when he was in LA.

by Anonymousreply 514July 29, 2024 4:41 AM

Pete's lifelong ambition is to be President. The happy family image is to appease the straights.

by Anonymousreply 515July 29, 2024 4:49 AM

[bold] PROOF!! [/bold] Buttigieg on the campaign trail impersonating Obamas voice and even Obamas words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516July 29, 2024 4:56 AM

Before a great painter became famous, they all had to imitate the masters. I see nothing wrong with Pete learning from Obama.

by Anonymousreply 517July 29, 2024 5:02 AM

[bold] Whoops!! [/bold] Pete morphs from Black Obama to Asian Yang!! See for yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518July 29, 2024 5:10 AM

What's your point r518, Pete is learning each time he faces a competitor. It's actually a smart tactic.

by Anonymousreply 519July 29, 2024 5:15 AM

[quote]r514 The one thing I really don't like about Pete is the heteronormative double baby thing.

If any liberals can afford to raise kids and give them good educations, that’s great. Because there’s a ton of uneducated conservatives breeding in other states.

by Anonymousreply 520July 29, 2024 8:53 AM

R514 thinks a liberal decent america of the future is a country full,of kids none of who will have gay parents . He dislikes Pete because they have kids. R514 thinks only straights should raise kids.

by Anonymousreply 521July 29, 2024 9:08 AM

[quote] Beshear: No matter what happens with veepstakes, I'll work to elect Harris

That doesn't sound very hopeful for Andy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522July 29, 2024 11:40 AM

She'd be foolish not to choose Beshear as her running mate.

Just listen to him at R522.

He's just the right candidate for VP, and he can definitely sway a lot of voters in the South and Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 523July 29, 2024 11:48 AM

Good for him. Some on DL said they will be done with Harris if she does not pick the VP they want.

by Anonymousreply 524July 29, 2024 11:48 AM

R509 wins the day for the most dumb shit crammed into a single post. Gold star idiocy💫

by Anonymousreply 525July 29, 2024 12:45 PM

[quote]Good for him. Some on DL said they will be done with Harris if she does not pick the VP they want.

The same problem as the Hillary Clinton Loss Syndrome. They feel their affection/affliction deeply but are not serious people.

by Anonymousreply 526July 29, 2024 12:47 PM

the random twink me and bf were hooking up w last night explaining to us why Pete Buttigieg should be Kamala's VP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527July 29, 2024 5:05 PM

Kamala is really missing out if she doesn't choose Pete as her running mate.

Just look at the FIRE in his eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528July 29, 2024 10:25 PM

R510 What I find is that black younger boomers (60-65) seem more like Gen Xers than white people born in that same period except Brad Pitt. Most 60s born white people born pre 1965 seem like boomers.

by Anonymousreply 529July 29, 2024 10:41 PM

True r529. Older Gen Xers tend to be more conservative, younger Gen Xers are more liberal. I'm part of the younger Gen X crowd that nobody pays attention to. Not that Gen X gets focused on much at all but when it does it's the older Xers born in the 60s and very early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 530July 29, 2024 10:44 PM

Pete reminds me of Alfalfa from The Little Rascals, and Alvin from Alvin, and the Chipmunks. Pete looks like a chipmunk.

by Anonymousreply 531July 29, 2024 11:16 PM

R531 He does. A cute one. He is glowing here though. Great diet.

by Anonymousreply 532July 29, 2024 11:35 PM

R446 do you realize that a large amount of billionaires are in their 30s and 40s because they made billions in Tech and a lot of these guys are conservative? Eric Prince, Peter Thiel, Jack Dorsey, Fuckerburg etc.

by Anonymousreply 533July 29, 2024 11:39 PM

[quote] He is glowing here though. Great diet.

It's all the sex I give him.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

by Anonymousreply 534July 30, 2024 1:34 AM

“This isn’t what God wants! We have to stop it! Grab the binders! Get your lobbyists! Call Newsmax!”

by Anonymousreply 535July 30, 2024 1:41 AM

I just heard another commentator on MSNBC actually saying Pete would be the better Pick for VP if Harris wanted to stick to her campaign theme of future and not the past. He pointed out the same thing I have been saying only more eloquently.

Basically this notion that a VP has to carry a state is out of date and is based on campaign strategy of 1901. We live in a highly connected world now with the internet is where it matters and Pete is such a good fighter with words he would be the best candidate for Kamala if she wanted to win. All the other guys are too old and/or not as good as Pete with speaking out for her campaign. Pete has a political gift the others are lacking.

by Anonymousreply 536July 30, 2024 2:05 AM

Thank you, R536!!

Now how do we get this message to the Harris Campaign??

by Anonymousreply 537July 30, 2024 2:09 AM

I always thought Rachel gay shamed Pete when she said she couldn't imagine being closeted and "going up" for a Rhodes scholarship.

She seemed very judgmental towards him.

by Anonymousreply 538July 30, 2024 2:19 AM

Pete is a good speaker, but he's almost too calm and collected. We need a Tim Walz to get fired up and motivated to get out and vote. He puts things in simple, plain English so everyone gets the message, without pandering to the lowest common denominator.

by Anonymousreply 539July 30, 2024 2:23 AM

Kamala has worked with Pete the most, and for the longest period of time, having both served in the Biden Administration.

Why wouldn't she go with the guy she knows best, rather than with someone she barely knows, like Kelly or Shapiro?

by Anonymousreply 540July 30, 2024 2:34 AM

[quote]Basically this notion that a VP has to carry a state is out of date and is based on campaign strategy of 1901.

When the election is so close that the outcome may be decided by the loss or gain of a single state, it's a good campaign strategy for 2024.

by Anonymousreply 541July 30, 2024 3:38 AM

1901 campaign strategy is a good idea? Sorry no, we live in 2024, things change including how to best win an election. You are right about things being close which is why we need to put our best foot forward with the best VP and that is hands down Pete Buttigieg. For every one possible 80 year old hater of gay men, you probably gain 3 youth votes. It works both ways. if we go with old white guy to "balance out the ticket" even though Kamala will be 60 years old, you will probably lose 3 youth votes just because they will stay home, uninspired with more old men on the ticket again.

by Anonymousreply 542July 30, 2024 4:14 AM

A person who wants Pete to be picked is of course going to talk down the appropriate strategy of selecting a VP nominee who can win their home state for the ticket. Pete can't carry his own state.

by Anonymousreply 543July 30, 2024 4:51 AM

Pete does not need to carry a state, this is flawed thinking.

In fact it's a good argument why Pete is the best choice, we wont lose the other states being held by some of the other VP choices. They can all deliver their states without the risk of losing them.

by Anonymousreply 544July 30, 2024 4:57 AM

"a presidential ticket performs no better in the vice presidential candidate’s home state than we would expect otherwise. Statistically speaking, the effect is zero."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545July 30, 2024 5:01 AM

All the polls usually show that vice presidential picks usually have very little influence on how people vote. This whole picking a veep to assure winning a state is kind of just media hype I think.

by Anonymousreply 546July 30, 2024 5:11 AM

That's basically what the study says in my link at R545

VP's do increase the odds at all if you think that they will carry a state. This makes sense because most Presidents pick someone they know could do the job, and then someone they know or like and could tolerate for the next 8 years. Pete and Kamala already know each other, that's a good place to be.

by Anonymousreply 547July 30, 2024 5:15 AM

[quote] vice presidential picks usually have very little influence on how people vote

This is a very different year, and a very different time.

BLM, Israeli Gaza conflict, Abortion Bans, etc.

There are a lot of little factions right now in the Democratic Party, and pissing off any one of them can really hurt Kamala's chances.

There are really only two "safe choices" right now, who are "palatable" to all the coalitions.

And that's Pete and Andy Beshear.

Every other person under consideration to be Kamala's running mate, has issued, and will lose voters.

There really are only two logical choices left.

by Anonymousreply 548July 30, 2024 5:15 AM

She did it once before, she can do it again. She seems genuinely happen for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549July 30, 2024 5:22 AM

I agree with that R548. It's got to be someone younger than Kamala if you expect the youth vote to get off their ass and actually be motivated to vote instead of throwing up their hands about old people always in charge.

by Anonymousreply 550July 30, 2024 5:24 AM

What's the deal with Mark Kelly. Why is he a bad pick?

by Anonymousreply 551July 30, 2024 5:25 AM

Mark Kelly has the credentials but he is older or looks older than Kamala, he's not very charismatic, he flip flopped on support for Unions. Not exactly someone who would excite the base.

by Anonymousreply 552July 30, 2024 5:38 AM

Pete is lighting up the airways. By the way the hot YouTuber is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553July 30, 2024 6:29 AM

[quote]R542 You are right about things being close which is why we need to put our best foot forward with the best VP and that is hands down Pete Buttigieg.

WHAT makes him the best possible VP? The job calls for more than just public speaking.

[quote]For every one possible 80 year old hater of gay men, you probably gain 3 youth votes.

Your potential candidate PB is going to motivate young people to get out and vote - supposedly liberals who wouldn’t vote at all without him on the ticket?

by Anonymousreply 554July 30, 2024 6:40 AM

R553, yes I like Keith Edwards, he's up there with the crew in the WH as a Dem Strategist.

by Anonymousreply 555July 30, 2024 10:12 AM

[quote]WHAT makes him the best possible VP? The job calls for more than just public speaking.

It's more than speaking well, try actually listening to his content and not critiquing his style. His age is a critical factor. The electorate is tired of old men. You have to address that. It's not just a would be nice to have qulity. It's critical you motivate younger voters or they will just sit it out due to complacency of the same old same old. Plus Pete is smart, he knows how to run things, not just a Mayor, but Secretary of Transpiration, a department with thousands of employees, huge projects, and a trillion dollar budget. His former military experience means he understands that structure of that wing of the government as well.

by Anonymousreply 556July 30, 2024 11:06 AM

[quote]Your potential candidate PB is going to motivate young people to get out and vote.

He can do all of that without being on the ticket. She should give him some sort of official spokesperson position. His resume is too thin to be VP - the only position he’s been elected to is Mayor.

by Anonymousreply 557July 30, 2024 11:58 AM

The most reliable voters in every election as far as actually voting——white people and in general the elderly..

The least reliable voting blocks as far as not voting consistently or ever—- POC, Hispanics, Youth

That is not an opinion

by Anonymousreply 558July 30, 2024 12:09 PM

I like the way paraphrasing one talking head on MSNBC has morphed into a solid fact about a 1901 strategy.

Did you people run Hillary's campaign?

by Anonymousreply 559July 30, 2024 1:22 PM

[quote]Pete can't carry his own state.

He doesn't even really have a state. The only elected office he's held was in Indiana, which they've left for a summer place in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 560July 30, 2024 1:25 PM

Pete was reviled by black voters in South Bend. No way does Harris want that dirty laundry on her ticket

After Harris loses, Pete will put wheels in place for another run in 2028 but he better hope he can compete against the Newsom/Getty juggernaut.

by Anonymousreply 561July 30, 2024 2:36 PM

Based on July 30 the probability iis

mark and Josh in a dead tie. Tim farther behind. Pete and Andy in NAFW territory .A female senator from nevada close behind those two in RNFW territory.

by Anonymousreply 562July 30, 2024 3:18 PM

It will be nice when Kamala finally picks a VP and it’s someone other than Pete, so the Pete fanatics can move on with their lives.

by Anonymousreply 563July 30, 2024 3:38 PM

He can work to help Harris win, and then can be appointed Secretary of State.

by Anonymousreply 564July 30, 2024 3:52 PM

R564, see R333.

by Anonymousreply 565July 30, 2024 3:54 PM

There is an old Indiana saying that goes something along the lines of—-if you can pass a budget as mayor and debate with members of the south bend city council you can easily be the senior diplomat of the US.

by Anonymousreply 566July 30, 2024 3:58 PM

I'm sure that's true.

by Anonymousreply 567July 30, 2024 4:13 PM

[quote]After Harris loses, Pete will put wheels in place for another run in 2028 but he better hope he can compete against the Newsom/Getty juggernaut.

In that scenario, he’d be up against Newsom, Shapiro, Whitmer. He stands no chance of winning a primary against those heavyweights.

by Anonymousreply 568July 30, 2024 4:31 PM

Doesn't Harris get a second term? Or are we her-turning for Pete now?

by Anonymousreply 569July 30, 2024 4:48 PM

Beshear in the hunt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570July 30, 2024 8:39 PM

All the choices are good. It’s a matter of picking the one with the fewest weaknesses.

by Anonymousreply 571July 30, 2024 8:42 PM

[quote] His resume is too thin to be VP - the only position he’s been elected to is Mayor.

Excuse me? Have you been asleep for the last 8 years? Donald Trump had NO EXPERIENCE not even Mayor. He broke that mold so it's quite dangerous for Democrats to still place that restriction on themself when the other party said good buy to that almost 8 years ago.

You dont bring an antique butter knife to a gun fight just because the knife has been passed down from generation to generation.

by Anonymousreply 572July 30, 2024 8:59 PM

[quote]Donald Trump had NO EXPERIENCE not even Mayor.

Yes, and let's reflect for a moment on how well that went.

by Anonymousreply 573July 30, 2024 9:01 PM

[quote]Doesn't Harris get a second term? Or are we her-turning for Pete now?

If Harris got elected, she would most likely get a second term, I dont see anyone wanting to run against her at that point. Trump is such a douche I would not put it past him to try and run against her in 4 years well into his 80s.

by Anonymousreply 574July 30, 2024 9:02 PM

Actually R 573, it went EXTREMELY WELL in terms of getting elected. I am not saying he did a good job, but that's not the question. The question was Pete not having enough experience. Which I say is a false and dated narrative to fall back on.

by Anonymousreply 575July 30, 2024 9:04 PM

[quote] The least reliable voting blocks as far as not voting consistently or ever—- POC, Hispanics, Youth That is not an opinion

Actually that's changed a lot over the last few election cycles since Obama. He would not have won without the youth vote and POC vote. Yes, old people still vote in big numbers, but the problem with old people is they keep dropping dead.

by Anonymousreply 576July 30, 2024 9:09 PM

And the LGBT+ community knows that it is either Democrats or death.

Black men do not realize that they have the same option.

by Anonymousreply 577July 30, 2024 9:12 PM

CBS reporting Harris is “eyeing five top contenders” and a pick is expected by Monday.

by Anonymousreply 578July 30, 2024 10:36 PM

Shapiro, Walz and Beshear are the final three.

by Anonymousreply 579July 30, 2024 10:42 PM

I wonder what’s taking her so long to make up her mind.

by Anonymousreply 580July 30, 2024 10:42 PM

She knows, she’s waiting until before the convention

by Anonymousreply 581July 30, 2024 10:46 PM

Better to do due diligence and thoroughly vet several candidates than to just pick the guy your idiot cokehead son wanted.

by Anonymousreply 582July 30, 2024 10:48 PM

R580 it’s been 7 days…give her a break.

by Anonymousreply 583July 30, 2024 10:49 PM

CNN reported the actual face to face interviews or meetings or whatever haven't taken place yet, so they haven't done the chemistry test.

She can't wait til the convention. The convention starts Aug. 19th; the virtual roll call has to be held by Aug 7th (though could be earlier) because of the idiot Ohio Republicans playing silly games.

by Anonymousreply 584July 30, 2024 10:52 PM

If she goes with somebody she already knows, then she may not do face to face interviews.

by Anonymousreply 585July 30, 2024 10:56 PM

R580 damn right why so long. It’s not that hard. Go with your best gut instincts they are usually the correct ones.

by Anonymousreply 586July 30, 2024 10:59 PM

[quote]CBS reporting Harris is “eyeing five top contenders” and a pick is expected by Monday

Dropping it on a Monday is smart. It will dominate the news the entire week and keep Dump out of the headlines.

by Anonymousreply 587July 30, 2024 11:00 PM

Pete as secretary of state would be a very good selection.

I wouldn't risk a gay guy as vp yet. I know, I know, we always have to wait, but this election is much too important to risk. We MUST defeat Trump.

by Anonymousreply 588July 30, 2024 11:01 PM

Secretary of State is the most senior cabinet position. It takes decades of experience to be made secretary of state.

by Anonymousreply 589July 30, 2024 11:09 PM

So is Pete better prepared to be SecState than say Blinken? Exactly what foreign policy experience has Pete had ?

Would anyone be suggesting Pete for SecState if he were straight?

What’s a DEI hire anyway?

by Anonymousreply 590July 30, 2024 11:09 PM

He has zero diplomatic expertise—or any indirect experience applicable to the job. He’s stuck in Delta hell…waiting to rebook his cancelled flight.

by Anonymousreply 591July 30, 2024 11:10 PM

Pete has zero foreign policy experience. You need to get real.

by Anonymousreply 592July 30, 2024 11:10 PM

He would be a good Press Secretary or Director of Communications.

by Anonymousreply 593July 30, 2024 11:12 PM

If Pete has any real chops he will be Senator Pete from the great state of Michigan relatively soon. Like next time. No one in history ever saw DOT as a stepping stone to political greatness. And he is sure not ready for State

Michigan could be a winnable state for him I would think.

by Anonymousreply 594July 30, 2024 11:17 PM

Pete...Secretary of Defense

by Anonymousreply 595July 30, 2024 11:17 PM

He needs to leave the transportation department because the airlines are always pulling shit that makes people angry, and guess who gets blamed? If he wants to run for president one day, then he needs a new job.

by Anonymousreply 596July 30, 2024 11:19 PM

[quote]Michigan could be a winnable state for him I would think.

Do you think he'll get the Black vote in Detroit?

by Anonymousreply 597July 30, 2024 11:26 PM

R597 that’s why they play the game. He might be quite good in the campaign trail. Detroit is not voting GOP

by Anonymousreply 598July 30, 2024 11:31 PM

It will be a Nielsen ratings reveal and Dems know that they cannot waste Rose moment.

Dems have finally realized that we are running in a Reality Show world, where Trump got The Mole to eat shit in public for Trump. We will not lose

by Anonymousreply 599July 30, 2024 11:57 PM

She will pick Pete and shock all the media pundit and you haters to hell. It will release a fire storm of "gay man to risky right now" BS and just like she planned, total media frenzy from now until the convention. Pete will kick ass as well. Trump will be pissed as fuck, JD will be pissing in his pants. Everyone will get in line once they stop wringing their hands and they will win.

by Anonymousreply 600July 31, 2024 12:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!