Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you make fun of your friends & acquaintances behind their backs?

I know we all anonymously tear it up here about celebrities & politicians, but how do we treat those we know in real life?

Do you laugh about your friends, & berate them behind their backs?

Are you a shit talker?

If so, do you freak the fuck out when you hear that others make fun of you & berate you, as well?

I’m just wondering, because I know this one guy who LOVES to talk shit about the people who are in his life, but the moment it gets back to him that someone had something negative to say about him, he totally loses it.

He cannot even handle any amount of constructive criticism. Nothing. Nothing AT ALL. As a result, people have a difficult time discussing real issues and concerns that they may have regarding their relationship with him, & instead, pretend everything is fine, while avoiding him whenever possible.

Or the other side of this is that his friends just ghost him, because it’s just not worth the fallout and collateral damage that usually ensues afterwards. When his friends DO confront him straight on, he denies he did or said anything wrong, and claims that it’s all a huge misunderstanding.

He’s THE single most passive aggressive person I’ve ever known in my life, & he has half assed relationships & friendships because no one can become authentically close enough to him in order to have a genuine & honest relationship with him.

I haven’t heard from him in years, & while at work today, I stepped away from my desk in order to use the restroom, & when I returned, lo & behold… there was his name on my caller I.D., as a missed call.

Nope. I will NOT be calling him back.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2024 5:27 AM

I make fun of my friends to their faces. What's the point of doing it behind their backs ?

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2024 1:59 AM

Never. I'm a lot of things, but I'm not unkind.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2024 2:00 AM

I posted in the Cluster B thread about a guy I deal with at work who always has really nasty shit to say about someone else in our industry (lots of different people who unknowingly become targets of rage he holds towards them but doesn't indicate that to them).

He rages that whoever is his target at the time is a narcissist trying to dictate and control him. All these people have no idea how he goes through long periods of hating them.

Why would someone feel so threatened by so many other people? Be so invested in seeing himself as a victim when he's known to be manipulative and cut-throat himself? Maybe if he was more assertive with them, he wouldn't be so nasty behind their backs.

He's fucking exhausting, but is a solid player in our industry.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2024 1:14 PM

Sadly, plenty of people have one of those (the guy you described), at the “office”, R3. I was elated when I moved offices in the building, & didn’t have to directly deal with him anymore, even though he did manage to complain about me for several weeks after I was working in a totally different location!

LMAO!

At first, we thought he just hated women, however, he managed to bitch & complain about the men in our office, as well.

No one had it out for him. He would create unnecessary tensions and drama by targeting whoever was to be rolled in the proverbial barrel of his imaginary angst, & eventually make it so that whoever he targeted, had valid reasons to want absolutely nothing to do with him.

The guy trashed me daily, when all I wanted to do is ignore him & get on with my day.

Can’t please everyone. 😏

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2024 1:26 AM

I try really hard not to gossip about or make fun of people. I used to do it when I was younger and I feel bad about it. I hope I have mostly outgrown it.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2024 1:33 AM

Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2024 1:36 AM

I used to be very loyal to a small group of people, until I found out that most of them were backstabbers (not just to me but to me, as well). Between political disagreements, other people becoming religious wackos, and increasing work hours I just don't socialize much anymore. Or, trust anymore.

The fake nice ones are the worst, in my opinion. I'd rather them be honest about it all.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2024 1:45 AM

[quote]I’m just wondering, because I know this one guy who LOVES to talk shit about the people who are in his life, but the moment it gets back to him that someone had something negative to say about him, he totally loses it.

Oh really? What's it like working at Mar-a-Lago?

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2024 1:47 AM

I’ve been a gossip all my life and none of it has given me one single thing to feel proud of. I’m very slowly moving away from it but it’s a hard habit to break. Gossip draws a lot of icky, short-term attention and I was willing to settle for that

Still, I’d rather try to cut the shit than pile up any more regrets, even though I’m so old now that I can’t expect people to trust that they’re really dealing with a whole new me. I just have to do it for the marginally increased self respect.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2024 2:01 AM

*to me but to others

Sorry, worked a double shift

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2024 2:01 AM

I think everyone does that to some degree when young. Then you learn to pick your battles and your companions more carefully and to value such things as tact, discretion and the benefit of the doubt (not everything people do that seems abrasive or foolish is your business, after all).

These days I will only say something negative of a person if their behavior has been repeatedly injurious, either to myself or others. And I don't seek such people out past whatever our general social acquaintance involves.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2024 3:39 AM

I do not talk shit about my friends. However, I do talk about my friends to other friends...just like giving updates on what so and so is doing, their funny stories that I make me laugh, etc. I don't really see it as gossiping, but I guess some would view it that way. I know people likely talk about me to others as well and it doesn't bother me. I'm a mess so I hope, if nothing else, my life can serve as a warning to others.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2024 3:50 AM

I don't make fun of my friends behind their backs but I talk about them to other friends, and I know that they talk about me which is fine. It's normal, we all do it, even those who say they don't. Especially those who say they don't.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2024 3:52 AM

How did you KNOW!?

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2024 4:10 AM

I don't talk shit or make fun of my friends.

I will occasionally complain or joke about them if they do something I find annoying, but nothing I wouldn't say to their face.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2024 4:12 AM

No, OP. Are you thirteen?

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2024 4:27 AM

Friends - to their faces and I expect the same back.

Family - oh fuck yes behind their backs. And those friends I mentioned? They do the same with theirs. Perhaps that's why we're friends.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2024 4:47 AM

No, as Kathy Griffin has said, I Say It To Their Faces, I Have MANNERS.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2024 4:50 AM

OP - Looking for others to co-sign his BULLSHIT. If you have to ask, then you KNOW you're WRONG.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2024 4:51 AM

Ummm, I haven’t spoken to him in years, R19.

As far as me drying up & blowing away? Don’t you worry, I’ll be joining you soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2024 5:13 AM

If you have the need to talk shit about people you make time for in your life, what does that say about you? I don't tolerate cunts in my personal life as I am not a social climber. I don't give a shit about people that don't have my back and they know. Don't waste your time with assholes. There is enough we have to deal with to live and make money. In my heart no assholes are allowed. And they know and they are afraid to be exposed. I don't live that way and I've found others like me. Those are my true friends and they are my family. Don't waste your time on trash in your free time. That's the secret to a happy and joyful life.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2024 5:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!