Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HBO Documentary on Elizabeth Taylor 'The Lost Tapes' on HBO

Premiers on HBO Max on August 3rd

Official Trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 18, 2024 1:45 AM

Damn, she was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2024 10:36 PM

Tailor made for the DL. I’m surprised there’s not more replies.

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2024 4:50 AM

I hope this doc showcases her sharp and bawdy sense of humor. La Liz didn’t take herself too seriously. Even towards the end of her life, her wit was on point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2024 4:54 AM

It debuted this year at Cannes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2024 4:57 AM

Dame Elizabeth Taylor is one of the reasons AIDS research happened. She started pushing and raising money in 1984. She still donates. ( Her estate). An absolute queen of the highest order.

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2024 4:59 AM

What a life that woman led….from day one. Pushed by her mother into adulthood, acting and taking care of her family from age 12, abusive marriage after abusive marriage, valued only for her looks and savaged when she gained a pound, was worked into exhaustion and delirium (not to mention was physically disabled) and then criticized for causing delays in shooting, worked tirelessly for her fellow gay actors and their stigma and of course, their plight with AIDS, lost a husband in a plane crash….almost died….anything else? Can’t wait to tune in.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2024 5:00 AM

Last of the grand stars. And the grand scandals. And the grand living . And her grand charitable works. There will never be another one like her.

by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2024 5:03 AM

won 2 Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2024 5:03 AM

Everyone says I am just like her, except with a bigger ass!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2024 5:06 AM

Tribeca

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2024 5:08 AM

Do you remember Richard Burton's Diaries here on DL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2024 5:17 AM

She made caftans okay for fellow fat whores everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2024 6:26 AM

This very unusual footage of a clearly inebriated Elizabeth forcing Michael Jackson to have his first Christmas lives rent free in my head. The level of trauma one can observe in everyone featured in this video is almost incomprehensible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2024 6:56 AM

Beautiful and disturbing @R13

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2024 7:56 AM

Nanette Burstein also directed The Kid Stays in the Picture about Bob Evans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2024 11:20 AM

It’s the jingley-jangley music in the background, like a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2024 11:42 AM

It's all strings like in Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2024 11:50 AM

[quote]Everyone says I am just like her, except with a bigger ass!!!! —JLo

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2024 12:07 PM

[quote] What a life that woman led

Well, not as fascinating or relevant as mine. You sad little homosexual boys with your fixation on camp...

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2024 12:29 PM

[quote]Pushed by her mother into adulthood, acting and taking care of her family from age 12, abusive marriage after abusive marriage, valued only for her looks and savaged when she gained a pound, was worked into exhaustion and delirium (not to mention was physically disabled) and then criticized for causing delays in shooting, worked tirelessly for her fellow gay actors and their stigma and of course, their plight with AIDS, lost a husband in a plane crash….almost died….anything else?

No bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end?

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2024 12:30 PM

Liz should always have our respect for how she got Reagan and the world to take AIDS seriously. It needed a star of her stature and no one else was going to do it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2024 12:58 PM

I still remember an interview with Liz Taylor back then when she said MJ was the most normal person she knew. I wondered who the fuck she hung out with.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2024 3:50 PM

As far as I know, Elizabeth was only able to maintain a relationship with Michael & one of her exes. Both men spent as much time away from her as possible. There's a reason in her later years her ex was only willing to meet with her at a restaurant. She was an unpredictable, overbearing, extremely emotionally needy, the unhealthiest type of spontaneous, & entirely self-centered. The relationship with Michael was so incredibly toxic. A fantasy world for both of them; filled with manufactured love they couldn't get anywhere else because that kind of life theater is insane.

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2024 3:52 PM

R13 What a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2024 4:06 PM

Elizabeth visited Kansas City, Missouri quite often before heading to Lawrence, Kansas to visit her best friend Montgomery Cliff. She was a faithful friend to him until the end and it was her love of him that had her dedicated to the AIDS cause because he died from HIV.

She LOVED visiting the black nightclubs on 18th Street while in KC and appreciated that the people allowed her to have fun and be herself. I learned this from a black limousine driver who was her 'go to' when she came to Kansas City. He said she was one of the nicest most genuine persons he had ever met in or out of the world of celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2024 7:56 PM

I’ve noticed young girls don’t worship Liz the way they worship Audrey and Marilyn. Those two both died in somewhat the prime of their lives, while they still had glamorous personas. No shade to Liz, but she spent the last 25 years of her life sickly and raggedy. Ain’t nobody stanning that I guess.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2024 7:59 PM

Audrey Hepburn died at 63, not what I would call the prime of one's life.

But I think it comes down to both Marilyn and Audrey were ideals of the beauty types they represent. Despite not being the first blonde bombshell ( that goes to Jean Harlow) Marilyn became "the blonde bombshell" that all others have since been compared to. Audrey is "the gamine" that all others get compared to. Both did several films where they played characters that reinforced the archtypes that they individually embodied.

Elizabeth was beautiful but her beauty was not one that represented any particular idea and the feature of hers that was most reveried was her unique eye color and super thick eyelashes. While A and M's beauty was most connected to their body type. It's easier to emulate a certain body type than something as a rare feature.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2024 8:08 PM

Montgomery Clift died from a heart attack in New York City in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2024 8:36 PM

R28 Rumors say otherwise but perhaps that poster had him mixed up with Rock Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2024 8:42 PM

r2 ... Taylor made?

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2024 8:55 PM

But he's talking about her other best friend, Montgomery Cliff.

You know, of the Dover White Cliffs.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2024 9:32 PM

[quote]As far as I know, Elizabeth was only able to maintain a relationship with Michael & one of her exes

That's not true at all. Elizabeth had a few close friends.

Montgomery Clift as stated above.

Roddy McDowell was another close friend. They knew each other since they were child actors.

Rock Hudson. It was also Rod's illness and passing from AIDS that got Liz involved in AIDS charities.

Liza Minelli considered Liz to be like a step mother to her.

Barbra Streisand has talked about having Liz over for lunch at her house every week towards the end of Liz's life.

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2024 9:46 PM

I"ll watch, HBO's documentaries are usually excellent.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2024 9:52 PM

Is that her actual voice heard in some of the OP's trailer? It sounds like someone doing a bad imitation.

Nevertheless, can't wait to watch this. Liz must not be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2024 10:04 PM

R34, Yes, pulled from 55 hours of unreleased interviews recorded in the mid 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2024 10:10 PM

I remember an interview (TCM?) where she said she knew things about Monty Clift that she would never ever disclose. I wonder if any of the secrets they shared are on those tapes. As he was still alive in 1964 perhaps not.

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2024 10:47 PM

R36 Yeah, like being a pass around bottom who died of the gay plague. Poor Monty.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2024 10:49 PM

I conflated Clift and Hudson, my bad. The rest holds true.

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2024 10:57 PM

R37 That’s fascinating considering he died in 1966 and the first case of AIDS was reported in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2024 11:35 PM

Rock Hudson didn't live in Kansas. He lived in Los Angeles. He died in Paris. France. Not Texas.

by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2024 11:43 PM

Actually Rock died in California, but he left Paris literally on his death bed. They had to hire a private plane to get him home after the Paris hospital kicked his ass to the curb for having AIDS. What a fun time the 80s were.

by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2024 2:27 AM

Sourcing on Monty & Rock = Darwin Porter.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2024 6:39 PM

If you’re a Liz Taylor aficionado you might see if there’s a tape out there of a cabaret show her friend did, “The Shadow of Her Smile.”

Ann Talman played Taylor’s daughter in “The Little Foxes” and they remained close. I met Talman once because she was in a play with a friend of mine. She was very lovely and nice and gracious. We all had dinner afterwards and I asked her if Taylor had been good on stage, and she said, “Oh YEAH! She was REALLY good!”

(Frankly, that surprised me a bit. But this actress absolutely loved her, on stage and off.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2024 9:30 PM

While Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe are undoubtedly iconic, Elizabeth’s legacy is equally significant, albeit in different ways. Liz was a powerhouse both on and off the screen, earning two Oscars and leaving an indelible mark with performances in films like "Cleopatra," "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof."

Beyond her acting, Liz was a trailblazer in humanitarian efforts, particularly her pioneering work in AIDS advocacy. Her influence in Hollywood and her impact on social issues ensure that she remains a legendary figure. So, while preferences for classic actresses can vary, dismissing Elizabeth Taylor as overrated overlooks her substantial contributions and enduring legacy.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2024 9:41 PM

[quote]Actually Rock died in California, but he left Paris literally on his death bed. They had to hire a private plane to get him home after the Paris hospital kicked his ass to the curb for having AIDS. What a fun time the 80s were.

Years ago, I ran into some queen who supposedly knew about the private plane and claimed he tipped off the press. He felt quite proud of what he did. I can't imagine someone making something like that up.

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2024 9:45 PM

I believe they asked the Reagan’s to help fly Rock to the USA but they refused.

by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2024 10:12 PM

I love Liz. I’ll watch.

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2024 10:23 PM

The Hollywood Reporter review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2024 10:31 AM

[quote] I believe they asked the Reagan’s to help fly Rock to the USA but they refused.

Reportedly his people asked Nancy to get Ronnie's approval to transfer Rock to a I.S. military hospital outside Paris where he would have much better care, but they declined. They had been "good" friends for decades. This was all years before Ronnie would even utter the word AIDS or HIV to the media; I guess for them the epidemic just didn't exist. I would think with their Hollywood background and Ronnie Jr's ballet career they would have known their fair share of dying gay friends but opted not to lose political capital on a those-people illness.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2024 11:37 AM

- 🥱😴

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2024 11:39 AM

[quote]The film — which premiered at Cannes in the Cannes Classics sidebar — is based on 40 hours of recently rediscovered audiotapes, recordings Taylor made in the mid-1960s for a ghost-written memoir (long out of print).

Anybody know the name of the memoir?

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2024 6:30 PM

R32 McDowALL. MiNNelli.

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2024 8:27 PM

[quote] Anybody know the name of the memoir?

It must be this unremarkable book?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 29, 2024 9:20 PM

Taylor becomes sporadically more biting as the film goes on, displaying a sharp-tongued wit and personality....“I can’t say anything against Debbie,” Taylor sweetly says on the tape, and without taking a breath goes on, “But she put on such an act, with the pigtails and the diaper pins.”

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2024 3:41 AM

People.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2024 3:46 AM

I wonder if Evelyn Keyes ever gave any in depth opinion of Liz - Keyes was engaged to Mike Todd when he met Taylor, upon which he quickly broke things off. I don’t think she talks a lot about it in her memoir, “Scarlett O’Hara’s Younger Sister.”

Keyes married a string of interesting men: Charles Vidor, John Huston, Artie Shaw…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2024 5:07 AM

Evelyn writes about Elizabeth in her book.

She was everything Mike professed not to care for: she was the epitome of movie star in dress, attitude, and demands. And she was a big drinker which Mike did not like. And she had a husband at the time they met - Michael Wilding.

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2024 6:45 AM

Director of 'Elizabeth Taylor: The Lost Tapes' documentary reflects on late star's life

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2024 12:27 PM

New York Times review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2024 10:40 PM

I really enjoyed this.

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2024 5:05 AM

In an exceptional clip in the Taylor documentary, Taylor explains why she began fundraising for the fight against AIDS: Few were speaking out or doing anything, and, she says, "it so angered me that I thought, ‘Bitch, do something yourself!'")

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2024 5:30 AM

Shoot me, but I’m sick of rehashing every little detail of some celebrity’s life. Just get over it .

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2024 6:36 AM

Elizabeth tells R62 off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2024 6:45 AM

No one else watched this?

by Anonymousreply 64August 7, 2024 12:30 AM

Damn, I missed it

by Anonymousreply 65August 7, 2024 1:41 AM

I hate watched it.

by Anonymousreply 66August 9, 2024 12:02 PM

It was good but there's nothing about the last several decades of her life. Because it's cut from interviews, the content is a little uneven, although the director tried to get what seemed most candid. Still, a lot of it is cautious or self-serving----she claims nothing happened initially with Eddie Fisher, which I doubt. Her childhood is given a superficially happy gloss. There isn't much new here for someone who isn't a true Liz obsessive. It was entertaining, but not quite enough. It's not something I'd watch again.

by Anonymousreply 67August 9, 2024 12:23 PM

I liked in the doc when she said the "violet eyes" attribute was invented by some media person. She considered her eyes dark blue.

I also liked when she scoffed at being called a "sex symbol"saying that she and all women have a sexual aspect and she didn't find it extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 68August 9, 2024 4:04 PM

My aunt was a theatre usher during the time Taylor was doing “The Little Foxes.” It wasn’t my aunt’s theater but the ushers talked to each other. She said the ushers (and all the other theater staff) loved Taylor; she was nice and a lot of fun. Her boisterous laugh could be heard all over the theater.

by Anonymousreply 69August 9, 2024 6:14 PM

Love everything about her. True broad who seemed to live her life joyfully with no regrets. Plus seemed like a good mom. All her kids liked her—not one has said a peep against her.

by Anonymousreply 70August 9, 2024 7:13 PM

Oh, dear, it seems that Todd Fisher objects to what Elizabeth says about Debbie. I saw a random YT video by Todd and his wife, and Todd began by saying how sick he is about 'the whole thing', but then he and his wife babble at each other. His voice was so annoying. He said about Elizabeth's children: 'you never hear anything about them, why is that?'

by Anonymousreply 71August 9, 2024 7:30 PM

If you want to listen to 37 minutes of Todd griping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2024 11:11 AM

R72: I'd rather not. The funny thing is that Liz and debbie buried the hatchet ages ago. They both came to see Fisher clearly as the horrible person that he was and were able to civil with each other. I don't think Carrie had any animus toward Taylor, but she had a real career, Todd doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2024 11:57 AM

When Todd produces Eddie's gun I expected security to rush in.

by Anonymousreply 74August 10, 2024 12:04 PM

Back in the day, when (I believe it was the late 70's - early 80's) when Patricia Bosworth's bio on Montgomery Clift ('MONTY') was released, one of the stories which stuck with me all these years was the car accident he had when he was leaving a dinner party Elizabeth Taylor and Michael Wilding gave. When it happened, she ran down the driveway and climbed into the wrecked car. Monty was choking on his broken teeth, so she stuck her hand into his mouth and removed them. She literally saved his life, but he never recovered. There was damage to his face, and he was in pain for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 75August 10, 2024 6:17 PM

I came upon the doc when it was already into her marriage to Mike Todd, then watched to the end. I loved it, actually appreciated that it didn't go into a hundred insignificant details about her life post-Burton.

But should I now watch it from the beginning? Does she have insightful things to say about the early years of her career and her first 2 marriages?

by Anonymousreply 76August 10, 2024 6:31 PM

The question has always been: Had Mike Todd lived, would their marriage have lasted? I guess we'll never know.......

by Anonymousreply 77August 10, 2024 6:32 PM

I have to laugh at Todd Fisher's wife saying she loves interpreting photos. Her observations in the interview are so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 78August 10, 2024 8:39 PM

I don't think ET's marriage to Mike Todd would have lasted. I think ET was beautiful, charismatic, all of that. But the men probably got tired of catering to her needs AND she was just not cut out for long-term monogamy.

by Anonymousreply 79August 10, 2024 11:02 PM

Wasn't Todd also considerably older than Liz? Not sure what kind of shape he would have been in by the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 80August 10, 2024 11:52 PM

I thought it was a very interesting documentary and worth watching. I think that Elizabeth would have left Mike Todd - he seemed to be controlling her as well which she doesn't seem to work with her. Elizabeth loved being in love. One thing for sure, she was the real deal when it came to being a movie star & celebrity. The crowds for her were Beatlemania crazy -- well before the Beatles hit the US. Elizabeth Taylor didn't need to call the paps to get a photo of her at the coffee shop. I was shocked to see that. She was a smart woman who negotiated her million dollar Cleopatra contract with a percentage. Well done Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 81August 11, 2024 12:04 AM

Seemed like she demanded gifts from her husbands and friends. Like jewelry. That would get tiring.

by Anonymousreply 82August 11, 2024 12:07 AM

Wonderful docu.

by Anonymousreply 83August 11, 2024 12:09 AM

Michael Wilding was 20 years older than her when they married.

by Anonymousreply 84August 11, 2024 12:10 AM

That People mag link at R55 says the photo on the left was taken in 1978. I think not!

by Anonymousreply 85August 11, 2024 12:31 AM

R82: She bought some of those gifts and then had the husbands give them to her--case in point, that giant diamond she had.

by Anonymousreply 86August 11, 2024 1:30 AM

R86, I kind of expected that.

I watched that Michael Jackson / ET video upthread. Man, her voice was kind of obnoxious.

It was interesting that she was at MJ's house without makeup. Did she sleep over? How did she get there? She arrived by helicopter in one clip. That seems excessive, considering it was in Santa Barbara County and Liz lived in Bel Air.

by Anonymousreply 87August 11, 2024 1:41 AM

[quote] Todd Fisher's wife

Wait! Todd Fisher is a heterosexual?! I always figured he was gay. Did he run her "museum" tending to all of her fabulous gowns?

by Anonymousreply 88August 11, 2024 11:30 AM

He's onto his third wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 11, 2024 11:43 AM

^ Still looking for Miss Right, huh?

by Anonymousreply 90August 11, 2024 7:07 PM

Omg! She used to be on the soap "Texas"!

by Anonymousreply 91August 12, 2024 12:35 AM

Todd is her fourth husband so she is stacking them up.

by Anonymousreply 92August 12, 2024 6:14 AM

Wasn't Todd just the third after Hilton and Wilding, r92?

by Anonymousreply 93August 12, 2024 11:57 AM

R80 Mike Todd was 25 years older than Taylor. His son Mike Todd Jr was 3 years older than his stepmom.

by Anonymousreply 94August 12, 2024 1:15 PM

R93 I think R92 was saying Todd Fisher is Catherine Hickland’s 4th husband.

You’re correct, Mike Todd was Elizabeth Taylor’s 3rd husband.

Too many husbands and too many Todds on this thread to keep them all straight.

by Anonymousreply 95August 12, 2024 1:21 PM

Actress Joan Blondell was the second wife of Mike Todd (1947-1950). She said that when Todd was in trouble financially, she bailed him out with her jewelry.

According to Joan, "The next time I saw my jewelry, Elizabeth Taylor was wearing it."

Not nice, Liz.

by Anonymousreply 96August 12, 2024 3:47 PM

What R67 says. It's just a slice of life from a limited perspective but it's thoroughly enjoyable to see pictures I haven't seen before and also listen to Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 97August 12, 2024 5:22 PM

R75, the Patricia Bosworth biography is called “Montgomery Clift: A Biography.” “Monty” is by Robert LaGuardia.

I prefer the Bosworth.

by Anonymousreply 98August 12, 2024 5:39 PM

It’s a good documentary and the visuals are terrific. There’s one series of pics of her that appear near the beginning with a closeup repeated later, it looks colorized and like it was taken in the early ‘50s. She looks like she’s appraising and judging the photographer and she looks absolutely breath-taking, daring the photographer to ask her to smile. I would post a link to screen grabs I took but I don’t know how.

It’s a very revealing documentary in some ways, though I’m sure she continued to hide much more than she revealed, yet the takeaways that were the most fun and interesting for me:

Taylor saying “Fuck them!” about the MGM execs’ insistence that she do “Butterfield 8,” which she considered “shit” and objected to since it seemed to be an unflattering comment on her current reputation as the biggest slut in America. Then Roddy McDowell is heard saying he just watched it on TV and thought she was just fantastic in it (she was, it’s a ‘modern,’ fearless performance).

Then she says “I can’t say anything against Debbie,” but proceeds to talk about how phony Debbie was in pretending to be shocked that her husband was fucking Elizabeth and that she and Mike Todd were well aware of how troubled the Reynolds/Fisher marriage actually was. America thought Taylor was breaking up a happy, successful marriage but it was anything but. (In his memoirs, Fisher claimed that Reynolds was a cold, sexually frigid workaholic who cared only about her image and film career. In her memoir, Reynolds claimed that Fisher —who was her first — was a lousy lover and that she never had her first orgasm until she married Harry Carl.)

But Taylor does reveal that when it came to her choice of men, she needed a man who would stand up to her and “dominate” her. She uses that word several times. She refuses to talk about her first husband Nicky Hilton except to mention in passing that he kicked her in the stomach while she was pregnant, giving her a miscarriage. But she mentions that her second marriage to Michael Wilding was unsuccessful because he acquiesced to everything she said or wanted, she was wearing the pants in that couple whereas she needed a man who would stand up to her. I thought that admission was pretty frank.

by Anonymousreply 99August 12, 2024 5:51 PM

Gladiator!

by Anonymousreply 100August 12, 2024 6:54 PM

I never heard Mike Todd’s voice before I saw this. He talked like a greasy low level Mafioso. He made Eddie Fisher seem like Cary Grant or something.

by Anonymousreply 101August 12, 2024 7:15 PM

I came away from this loving the hell out of this lady. I am 44 and always liked her , but now I love her. I had only seen her in Cat and a Hot Tin Roof, Giant, and I caught that "Just Between Friends" on Youtube once!

After this doc I went an watched Butterfield 8 and she was fucking awesome. I loved the film too.

I would have tried to talk her into loving that film if I ever had a conversation with her.

by Anonymousreply 102August 12, 2024 7:16 PM

R102, you MUST see her in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

by Anonymousreply 103August 12, 2024 7:21 PM

Aww shit! I saw that years ago- I forgot- I will definitely be watching that next-

Cleopatra (to me) looks unwatchable and I have no interest-

I started watching The Sandpiper yesterday and I can see why it bombed- But its not bad!

Next are Woolf and then Suddenly Last Summer-

by Anonymousreply 104August 12, 2024 7:36 PM

R99 I don't think she cared to hide much.

by Anonymousreply 105August 12, 2024 7:44 PM

Suddenly Last Summer - you're already a fan so you'll enjoy it. But it's no walk in the park.

I've never see the full version(s)? of Secret Ceremony but that's my next.

by Anonymousreply 106August 12, 2024 7:47 PM

Catherine Hickland was previously married to David Hasselhoff. Can you imagine anyone that different to Todd Fisher?

by Anonymousreply 107August 12, 2024 8:27 PM

Rs 102 and 104 — Actually, CLEOPATRA is a good movie, a lush epic with a savvy, movie star performance from Taylor, who seems to be commenting (subtextually) on her own stardom. Rex Harrison is good as Julius Caesar too. Burton hams it up as Mark Antony but is watchable. The script by Joe Mankiewicz is good, very intelligent with lots of good lines, a minimum of clinkers, and is pretty accurate as far as what we actually know about these legendary figures.

Re THE SANDPIPER: the reviews were indeed terrible but business was good and it made money.

by Anonymousreply 108August 12, 2024 8:36 PM

Just my opinion but I don't think Taylor ever gave another great film performance after Virginia Woolf. At first, I was going to say once she got together with Burton, but I did love her in The Taming of the Shrew. She was an incredible screen presence in the 40s and 50s and early 60s. Charisma plus.

One can only imagine LB Mayer and the MGM execs salivating over her as a child and pre-teen just waiting for her to grow up.

I regret missing her onstage in The Little Foxes. Odd that it was never made into a film or TV movie or something....

by Anonymousreply 109August 12, 2024 9:26 PM

It's an enjoyable and informative documentary. It shows a bit of that side of Taylor of which she was so protective of. I agree with many of the points made in this thread. But what I have taken away from it is how much times have changed. While she did not want to talk about Nicky Hilton, it's pretty much common knowledge about his drinking issues and the physical abuse.

She was an MGM major star. Was there no one there, or anywhere to go, to avoid and be protected from such abuse? What did her parents (especially her mother) think of this? The MGM brass? It seems that only her gay friends (who she was always fiercely protected of) came to her rescue and it was something that she never forgot through the years of theirs's and her life. Maybe there are more examples of such friendships in Hollywood, but I am not aware of any others that had so much loyalty and devotion to one another.

by Anonymousreply 110August 12, 2024 11:00 PM

I remember as a kid when she was married to John Warner & had a reputation for rolling around Middleburg VA, wearing sunglasses, caftans while fat & drunk as a skunk. For that alone, I love her. She was one messy bitch, but it speaks well of her that she spent her final years raising awareness over a disease that (at the time) no one wanted to be connected with.

by Anonymousreply 111August 12, 2024 11:13 PM

Where was Larry Fortensky? WHERE WAS LARRY FORTENSKY?????

by Anonymousreply 112August 12, 2024 11:46 PM

Some of the best acting you will see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 13, 2024 12:02 AM

r111 Elizabeth criss-crossed most of Virginia (a large state) in support of John Warner's campaign. She wasn't snobby or detached, she was friendly with people, and she loved to sample the local cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 114August 13, 2024 12:23 AM

R114, She particularly liked Clyde's ( a chain) chili and had it delivered to her Watergate residence.

by Anonymousreply 115August 13, 2024 12:40 AM

[quote]She wasn't snobby or detached, she was friendly with people, and she loved to sample the local cuisine.

And yet, her image was based on her beauty and her many marriages. With this doc there is some sort of an explanation for all of that. My goodness! She was only 18 when she married Nicky Hilton who was only 23! What do you know when you're 18? SHEESH! She didn't even know how to manage the household staff properly at that age and due to her work schedule. .

by Anonymousreply 116August 13, 2024 1:05 AM

[quote][R111] Elizabeth criss-crossed most of Virginia (a large state) in support of John Warner's campaign. She wasn't snobby or detached, she was friendly with people, and she loved to sample the local cuisine.

My brother worked for a Senator at that time and met her.

by Anonymousreply 117August 13, 2024 1:09 AM

FYI

[quote]Elizabeth Taylor's Trust and Its Other Beneficiaries. It's rumored that the trust passed the majority of her assets to her children, grandchildren, and to various charities. It's also believed, according to Bloomberg Business, that Taylor's net worth at the time of her death was between $600 million and $1 billion.

[quote]Elizabeth Taylor's wealth, estimated to be around half a billion dollars, was primarily distributed among her children. However, a significant proportion was also funneled into The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation, a clear testament to the actress's dedication to philanthropy and humanitarian causes.

by Anonymousreply 118August 13, 2024 1:15 AM

Getting away from the control of MGM and her parents was exactly why she married Nicky Hilton. I'd imagine in her state of mind, she could hardly go to any of them for support or even sympathy when it quickly fell apart, having to admit she was wrong and immature.

I'd also think that she didn't want to talk about Hilton on the tapes because, in the grand scheme of things, he was just a mere teenaged indiscretion in a long life. Nothing really there to talk about; in retrospect, best forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 119August 13, 2024 1:32 AM

R102, you should check out X, Y, and Zee. It's one of the best of her later films and she is terrific in it. Highly underrated.

by Anonymousreply 120August 13, 2024 3:32 AM

Zee & Co.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 13, 2024 4:11 AM

She's really good here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 13, 2024 4:16 AM

Unfortunately, Elizabeth equated great acting in Suddenly LS with rubbing a hand over her forehead.

by Anonymousreply 123August 13, 2024 4:36 AM

Suddenly Last Summer is too much. A rotting flower in that conservatory. Not a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 124August 13, 2024 4:46 AM

Look up the Drivers Seat. It looks like it’s on tubi. A bizarre movie she did in the 70s, filmed in Rome. It’s about a woman who’s searching for someone to murder her. Andy Warhol has a cameo. Bette Davis was supposed to have played a part but dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 125August 13, 2024 6:10 AM

And who could forget BOOM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 13, 2024 6:13 AM

Wow...

Her first wedding dress sold for nearly $200K at auction? The power of image and celebrity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 13, 2024 10:29 AM

I was exhausted just reading that, r127.

by Anonymousreply 128August 13, 2024 1:33 PM

My mother's wedding dress was a variation on the Hilton dress though it was knee-length.

by Anonymousreply 129August 13, 2024 4:03 PM

Every mother's wedding dress in the 1950s was a variation on that Hilton dress.

by Anonymousreply 130August 13, 2024 7:57 PM

Everything in Liz’s life set her up for disaster: she was a child star; she had countless addictions (alcohol, drugs, food, men); and, perhaps the ultimate red flag, she had an intense emotional bond with Montgomery Clift. Yet there was something grounded about her. She stayed human.

by Anonymousreply 131August 13, 2024 8:28 PM

She (or her business manager) were good with money, going back to the 40s, when her art dealer father and uncle convinced her to buy art.

She had a huge private art collection, with Van Goghs, Matisses, Picassos, Renoirs, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 13, 2024 8:48 PM

Cleopatra is not a movie to watch on a TV screen.

by Anonymousreply 133August 13, 2024 9:14 PM

The person who bought this Van Gogh from her estate flipped it a couple years later for 40 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 13, 2024 9:23 PM

R75 Yeah, I remember reading about that, and I was so impressed by how fiercely Taylor protected Monty. She straight-up told the photographers at the scene that if any photos of Monty—or her in that bloodied dress—were ever published, she'd never give an interview or work with any magazine that printed them. Thanks to that, those photos never saw the light of day. It really showed how much she cared about him and the kind of power she had in Hollywood.

IIRC, there's also a bit in Bosworth's book about Elizabeth Taylor’s marriage to Senator Warner. At a fundraiser, some wealthy couple bid a ton of money to have dinner at the Warner's home with Elizabeth and him. The dinner was going great until one of the guests asked about her friendship with Montgomery Clift. Elizabeth quietly looked down and said something like, "My life is pretty much an open book, but the one thing I won’t talk about is my friendship with Monty."

It really stuck with me how fiercely loyal Elizabeth was to Monty—a guy Marilyn Monroe once said was, "the only person I know who's in worse shape than I am."

Elizabeth Taylor truly was one of a kind, diva absoluta!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 13, 2024 10:08 PM

Just curious, does anyone know how much Elziabeth paid for the Van Gogh and when she bought it?

by Anonymousreply 136August 13, 2024 10:33 PM

[quote]Just curious, does anyone know how much Elziabeth paid for the Van Gogh and when she bought it?

[quote]Taylor's father bought the Van Gogh on her behalf at an auction in 1963, paying £92,000.Feb 3, 2012

by Anonymousreply 137August 14, 2024 12:08 AM

What a bargain, r137!

by Anonymousreply 138August 14, 2024 3:18 AM

R135 Liz loved Monty because he was as hairy as her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 14, 2024 3:39 AM

[quote]Was there no one there, or anywhere to go, to avoid and be protected from such abuse?

At MGM? Ask Judy.

by Anonymousreply 140August 14, 2024 4:35 AM

Elizabeth is heard in the new documentary claiming that she felt "so lost" during her marriage to Eddie because he didn't like to socialise.

Eddie made sure that I felt lonely. We never went out. It’s like he didn’t like me to mingle with other people… I started to sleep 14-15 hours at once. I was trying to avoid everything. I was trying to avoid life. But I was so desperate at one time that I did take some sleeping pills. I did it deliberately, calmly and in front of Eddie. I was fed up with everything. I couldn’t face the thought of divorce. I’d rather be dead than face going through a divorce!"

At one point he put a gun to her head then said, ‘You’re much too pretty to shoot.’

by Anonymousreply 141August 14, 2024 5:01 AM

Then she grabbed the gun and told him, You're not.

by Anonymousreply 142August 14, 2024 2:29 PM

Does anyone care about this pudgyfaced frau anymore? She was the essence of 80s vulgarity. Yes I know she’s been beatified because of the AIDS thing. Still, ew.

by Anonymousreply 143August 14, 2024 2:58 PM

R143 = Kate Burton

by Anonymousreply 144August 14, 2024 3:00 PM

R32, Carole Bayer Sager was her best female friend.

by Anonymousreply 145August 14, 2024 3:16 PM

Met her at the reception before the National AIDS Candlelight March in the 90's. She seemed drugged up on something, but those violet eyes were beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 146August 14, 2024 4:39 PM

R102, this documentary barely covers her greatest achievements, founding AMFAR in the mid-‘80s - filling a leadership void in a time of crisis, like a world leader herself.

There are a lot of reasons to love Elizabeth Taylor, her incredible humanity and unyielding loyalty to the gay community which she demonstrated fearlessly is perhaps the best one. Her humanitarian legacy lives on.

by Anonymousreply 147August 14, 2024 5:47 PM

What a bitch, R143. WHAT A BITCH!!!

Let me tell you something, Missy...

I guess you had to be one of the lucky ones who did not experience friends (note the plural) who died within weeks of each other. I suppose you never had to be one of those who attended 2-3 funerals a week --every week, which seemed as if they would never end. Or calling all over and running around trying to locate any funeral home that would accept the dead body and perform the service.

I guess you never attended a number of parties where if an AIDS/HIV diagnosed individual--even suspected, ate off of a plate and used utensils, those items were destroyed--and sometimes right in front of their face. I suppose you 've never experienced those babies born with the virus that no one would touch and in many cases that included their own mothers.

No one wanted to talk about AIDS/HIV except the Jerry Falwells of the time who were overcome with glee because the gays--THE FAGS--THE FAGGOTS were justly getting all that they deserved. Therefore, since it was ONLY affecting the faggots then why should anyone do anything about it? They're dropping worse than flies and therefore this is a GOOD thing! HALELLUJAH!!!

Unfortunately, it took the death of Rock Hudson and the celebrity of Miss Taylor to even get people to lift their eyes just to bless this issue with 5 minutes of their time. But Miss Taylor was persistent and very demanding! YOU WILL LISTEN!

Did you know that Miss Taylor stipulated that 20% of all sales in perpetuity be directed to her charity, the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation? As of 2018, its total sales were estimated at US$1.5 billion. Sales in 1993 were estimated at $48 million, and at $60 million in 2010. You do the math...

So, before you go off calling someone "pudgyfaced frau", etc... take a moment and reflect upon how the actions of that person has directly affected you and/or someone that you love/loved.

Now, go fix your face...

by Anonymousreply 148August 14, 2024 6:35 PM

[quote]Did you know that Miss Taylor stipulated that 20% of all sales in perpetuity be directed to her charity,

This is referring to her "Passion" and "White Diamonds" perfumes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 14, 2024 6:40 PM

I want r148 cheered, quite loudly.

by Anonymousreply 150August 14, 2024 9:32 PM

[quote]She seemed drugged up on something, but those violet eyes were beautiful.

In the doc, she considers her eyes to be blue and said that the violet color was something that was created by some journalist.

by Anonymousreply 151August 15, 2024 12:21 PM

❤️❤️❤️❤️

by Anonymousreply 152August 15, 2024 2:39 PM

Bravo, R148

by Anonymousreply 153August 15, 2024 2:40 PM

Some of her grandkids honor Whoopi for her work with Elizabeth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 15, 2024 6:00 PM

[151] Yes, she says that in the doc. I saw violet. Gorgeous. She then got in her golf cart and led the candlelight march from Rayburn HOB to the Lincoln Memorial, where speeches were held.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 15, 2024 9:31 PM

That was a beautiful video clip, R154! What a tribute!

by Anonymousreply 156August 16, 2024 11:38 AM

R154, thank you for sharing that deeply moving and glorious video clip.

by Anonymousreply 157August 16, 2024 9:51 PM

R148, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 158August 16, 2024 10:00 PM

Okay, I'll admit it.

So many great performances but I also LOVED her in "Father of the Bride" and "Father's Little Dividend". They're just really enjoyable films (even to this day) when it is gray, gloomy, and raining, outside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 17, 2024 12:10 PM

R27 You copied and pasted this comment from LSA.

by Anonymousreply 160September 17, 2024 10:06 PM

I love Liz. I loved it when she said, about her "violet" eyes, "They're dark blue, they're not violet. Violet is something they made up."

by Anonymousreply 161September 17, 2024 11:05 PM

Some children’s organization in Harlem needed a hostess for their fundraising gala. They asked Diana Ross, who didn’t even return their calls. They asked Liz, and she showed up and even took photos with the children and ate soul food. She was a very gracious lady.

And Diana is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 162September 18, 2024 12:08 AM

^^ that’s MISS ROSS to you!

by Anonymousreply 163September 18, 2024 1:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!