Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In all likelihood, there is no escaping Andy Beshear as running mate

Beshear has already been elected twice in Kentucky; he wouldn't be hurt by a loss.

Josh Shapiro is probably the best candidate on paper; but he's only been governor of Pennsylvania for two years. If he joins as running mate, and the ticket loses, he may not be reelected governor in 2026. Better to get re-elected in PA and wait until 2028.

Personalitywise Pete Buttigieg would be a very good running mate, but nobody would choose someone from the same administration, especially a gay man.

Beto O'Rourke might also be a good personality match, but he's also more charismatic than her so she probably wouldn't choose him.

So Governor Mormon Tabernacle Choir it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252July 30, 2024 8:35 PM

Kelly is a wiser choice.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2024 11:11 PM

You can't fool me OP, that's Marshall Applewhite.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2024 11:14 PM

Agree with R1. She needs a VP from a swing state? The dems won’t win Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2024 11:16 PM

Wow He's almost as exciting as Tim Kaine!

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2024 11:18 PM

Never heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2024 11:18 PM

Kentucky is more culturally similar to Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin then Arizona. Arizona is an oddball state.

In all likelihood they will choose Beshear because he is the blandest. If oatmeal became sentient it would look like Andy Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2024 11:21 PM

Josh Shapiro makes the most sense.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2024 11:26 PM

My personal opinion? There's no real way to win the race now. She would be wise to choose Buttigieg because he can articulately make a good case for a Democratic Party platform. That's all this race is now, protect the integrity of the downballot candidates.

The [bold]only[/bold] way Kamala could have a chance at getting elected is if Biden resigned and allowed her to play President. Then people would see "Okay, this is what it would look like" and she could begin to institute policies that would emphasize the changes her administration would make if elected. Because Biden did not due this, she's going to have to run as both a blank slate and as someone who has to defend Biden's record.

She will lose - maybe even badly - but the Senate and House may hold.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2024 11:31 PM

You don’t know that, r9. Polling of Harris vs Trump so far has been unreal because she wasn’t the candidate. It’s like asking whether people would vote for Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2024 11:34 PM

Shapiro is my guess. SW Pennsylania is Appalachia. He knows how to do populism.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2024 11:38 PM

Copper from NC would be a solid choice. NC has been nudging left. Plus, he wouldn’t leave an empty seat.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2024 11:44 PM

Cooper seems too old and meh.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2024 12:04 AM

I agree 100% r9.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2024 12:05 AM

Kentucky is a solid red state not swing. Pitiful 8 electoral votes. He would bring zilch to the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2024 12:39 AM

Beto is the biggest loser who ever losered.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2024 12:42 AM

“Biden did not due this”, R9? You’re in no position to say what Harris would be wise to do.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2024 12:48 AM

People don't bring their state to the ticket, pretty much ever. What he'd bring is the kind of reassurance a white, male, red state governor brings, a certain reassurance for people looking for that kind of thing. And he's young, which matter a ton right now. Though he's not the only one. A few meet the criteria.

As for the whole nonsense that she needs to be the actual president to win this, horseshit. She'll spend most of her time campaigning and running on continuity with the Biden record, which most people would be fine with. And I imagine she'll be stepping in more to presidential duties, because frankly as we know Biden is just less up for it. Overall, I think it will work fine.

One thing may actually be really tricky: our relationship with Israel and Netanyahu right now. There may be some subtle downgrading of that, or more pressure to get Israel to stop dicking around and start withdrawing. But nothing dramatic, because overall we will continue to support Israel, as we have for 75 years. But it is an opportunity to tamp down some of the intense anger on the left about Israel, if Kamala can manage it.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2024 12:49 AM

R15 he is bringing straight white maleness.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2024 12:56 AM

R17 oh I misused a homonym while typing on my phone. I’ll defer to your mommy queen-worship then.

OMG YASSSSSSS KAMALA IS MUTHERRRRRRR!

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2024 1:02 AM

Roy Cooper makes the most sense. He's termed out, so he was going to have to leave the governorship anyway. And he can bring in NC, which would guarantee a Dem win.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2024 1:07 AM

I'm on Team Mark Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2024 1:08 AM

Roy Cooper is 67 and Mark Kelly is 60. She isn’t going to choose an old guy.

Andy Beshear is 46.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2024 1:37 AM

I think Beshear would be a good choice for Harris's running mate.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2024 1:38 AM

Beshear can’t even deliver Kentucky, what could be possibly add? Choose a White male who can actually deliver at least one state.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2024 1:44 AM

She's pulling in money and endorsements, her stump has improved significantly, the right VP pick and she might do this.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2024 2:07 AM

She will not. She can merely stave off a down ballot apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2024 2:14 AM

Kamala's running mate cannot be Sen Mark Kelly of Arizona. The Dems cannot lose that Senate seat.

It also cannot be Gov Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania. He is a rising star and he would help the Dems win PA. However, I am not sure that the country would accept a black woman and a Jew on the same ticket.

Andy Beshear won't win the Dems the state of Kentucky. But he is another rising star, and the Dems need a middle-of-the-road white male. Beshear is it.

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2024 2:17 AM

Gov Roy Cooper of North Carolina lacks charisma, but he might appeal to the voters of Michigan and Wisconsin. And the Dems need to win NC.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2024 2:20 AM

I want Beshear because I want Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2024 2:22 AM

[quote] Kamala's running mate cannot be Sen Mark Kelly of Arizona. The Dems cannot lose that Senate seat.

AZ has a Democratic governor who would appoint his replacement... nothing to worry about

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2024 2:26 AM

It's either going to be Mark Kelly or Roy Cooper. Both are good choices.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2024 2:29 AM

If she chose Beto O’Rourke she could run the campaign as “Kamala and Beto” which has a nice bespoke sound.

Harris Beshear sounds like Lizsha trying to say “Harrisburg.”

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2024 2:30 AM

[quote]Beto O'Rourke might also be a good personality match, but he's also more charismatic than her so she probably wouldn't choose him.

He's also a moron.

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2024 2:34 AM

Shapiro is the best choice. But it could also be Beshear. It won't be anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2024 2:35 AM

My old friends back in Kentucky work for Andy and they ADORE him.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2024 2:36 AM

[quote]Josh Shapiro is probably the best candidate on paper; but he's only been governor of Pennsylvania for two years.

He was PA Attorney General for several years before that, much like Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2024 2:37 AM

Nobody cares if someone was a state attorney general.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2024 2:39 AM

R35 I don't see the majority of Americans willing to pull the level for a Black-American president and a Jewish VP ticket.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2024 1:57 PM

They won’t. Kamala will not win. The only goal now should be to get a good communicator who can boost the ticket.

Unfortunately, Andy Beshear is not that person. He seems gayer than Pete Buttigieg.

Kamala will choose Beshear because if she chooses anyone else and loses (she will lose) she will be blamed for not choosing the whitest white bread candidate possible so she will capitulate to “overwhelming pressure.”

But she should choose Buttigieg. He is the smartest and most articulate of the white middle American men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2024 2:52 PM

When Biden was in the process of picking a VP, Harris was considered highly unlikely to be selected by Joe because of her attacks on him during a debate, she was given little chance to be selected, lets face it we don't know who she will pick, I have my favorites but only Kamala's favorites matter and I don't think we know who that is. At this point I doubt she has anyone in mind to select.

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2024 3:06 PM

Same, r30. Beshear is a cute, hairy daddy.

He needs a shorter haircut, though, to really mobilize “college-educated white women.”

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2024 3:18 PM

No one knows Beshear, He cannot deliver Kentucky so he is of no use. She needs a Dem that can deliver a swing state.

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2024 3:31 PM

Beto has too much ego, and he can't deliver Texas.

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2024 3:35 PM

I'm going with Shapiro, if it's true that they've been friends for years.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2024 3:40 PM

They’ve known each other for two decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2024 3:47 PM

She is not winning the election. Just accept this now. There is no “deliver a swing state” because anyone who can deliver a swing state (Whitmer or Shapiro) is not running.

Do not think some miracle running mate is going to save us from a Trump presidency. Trump will win this election.

Kamala can only do one thing: be articulate and make the case for people to support Democrats in down ballot races. That she can do well. Buttigieg can also do this well. Cheerleaders who have nothing to really prove will be more effective than a ticket trying to convince the country to vote for Kamala who was so unpopular her ratings were even lower than Biden’s throughout most of his term.

The last possible moment for a course correction was the week after Biden’s debate, he unfortunately had gone full Smeagol from Lord of the Rings and now we just have to accept that Trump is a better politician than the people running the Democratic party. Trump will get a second term, Trump will be reelected with a plurality and Trump will appoint at least two rightwing justices, probably even Aileen Cannon.

The ONLY THING we can do is protect the House and Senate. Inhale, exhale, and get on with your lives.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2024 3:48 PM

Women are going to be energized to bring in the first female P

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2024 3:52 PM

R47, shut the fuck up. Things are changing quickly - look what has happened in the last 30 days alone. Harris hasn’t even spoken about her campaign yet.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2024 3:53 PM

[quote]look what has happened in the last 30 days alone.

Yes, Trump is now poised to win a landslide election than just winning a squeaker.

There is no coming back from this. Be happy we have a chance to keep the House and Senate.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2024 4:04 PM

Evidence, r50? Or is this just your say so?

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2024 4:12 PM

Trump was winning in a landslide when Biden was his opponent. That’s no longer the case.

by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2024 4:21 PM

Look at me! I’m R51! “Where is your evidence! Where is your evidence? Hisssssss!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2024 4:25 PM

Is that some Mormon family?

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2024 4:32 PM

I hope so. Beshear is hot.

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2024 4:32 PM

not in my book

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2024 4:36 PM

Andy Beshear had a couple good photos taken several years ago. He looks like this now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2024 4:42 PM

I'm into geeks/nerds/dorks look, so Team Shapiro is for me!

by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2024 4:43 PM

[quote] [R15] he is bringing straight white maleness.

I want the gay guy on the ticket. I say - go gay or go home.

by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2024 4:51 PM

This is all about strategy. Some leaders think it should be a Southerner to pull back in blue votes from the South and lock down electoral votes. In a normal environment, I would agree, but this isn’t normal stuff.

I think the best communicator, the most aggressive, the most comfortable, the most relatable, is Josh Shapiro. He is very likeable, alpha, charismatic, but plain spoken and very very clear. Interestingly, if Harris chooses him, we will have a President married to a Jew, with a Jew VP. Why NOT?!?!? I think what matters much much more is how they make people feel. Would Josh make voters feel like he will fight for them? Will Josh message well to POC? Yes, he’s already doing it in PA!! Of course, Dems will have to adjust to the pro-Hamas crowd, but they can also to a certain degree simply tune them out.

At the end of the day, I vote blue no matter who. But now that it’s finally real and happening, it’s becoming more clear to me that Shapiro is the best choice. Newsom could pull it off, so could Whitmer. But CA is so safe, we don’t need Newsom. Just by the process of elimination, I think it will be Shapiro. And I love that man, he’s a hot hot hot hot hot stud, loves his country, gets shit done.

I shit you not, the way I’m coping with another Trump campaign is by studying primates. I am actually reading about chimpanzee tribes and how they engage in war. THIS IS US. We are a bunch of mother fucking monkeys in tribes who are warring. But our side truly loves and values peace, and we can win this. It’s unfortunate, but we will have to go to war to achieve a long-lasting peace. As we’ve done for tens of thousands of years, before we were Homo sapiens…..take heart, I have a lot of hope. God bless Joe, what a fucking hero he is!!!!!!!!!!!!! But Dems have no more margins for mistakes now. Like none. We have to make some bold decisions and push this forward with everything we’ve got to stop Trump.

by Anonymousreply 60July 22, 2024 5:41 PM

Josh Shapiro is an excellent selection. However, he is not an idiot. Whitney and Newsom are not idiots. No one who actually has a national party future is going to tie themselves as second banana to the Coconut Express.

by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2024 6:59 PM

Whitmer

by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2024 6:59 PM

Boy these trolls like r61 are trying to get sympathetic now, aren't they? But they always give themselves away...

by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2024 8:00 PM

It’s just our luck there is no highly decorated navy jet pilot, who I know might have been a game show host or a fucking space man who blasted into space,, with a wife who was not shot in the ear , ( talk about taking a bullet for Democracy) but shot in the head. And even better if he or she came from a swing state

This should be over quickly

one shot in the ear one shot in the head—-we got that one

One a decorated combat vet the other a member of the military press that has never been in combat—we got that one.

by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2024 8:13 PM

Beto would go for it.

There really is very little point in thinking “practically”. Two good energetic cheerleaders, just let them do whatever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2024 8:32 PM

It just needs to be a youngish man, well known around the country, who has the guts to fight like a rabid dog against Trump and that fat faced fuck Vance.

by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2024 8:52 PM

No to Andy Beshear Not from a swing state Brings nothing to the ticket Need either Mark Kelly AZ Roy Cooper NC Kelly is more charismatic Vote for Kelly🥳

by Anonymousreply 67July 22, 2024 8:53 PM

Beto is fuckable. There IS that.

by Anonymousreply 68July 22, 2024 8:54 PM

R61 DIAGF

by Anonymousreply 69July 22, 2024 8:55 PM

R61 No one that has a more imminent future, for sure.

The VP should be someone who, even if the Dems lose, benefits from some way by participating in the process. Kelly would fit that, as would Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 70July 22, 2024 8:56 PM

Any team will highlight the tragedy that is Donnie/Donnie Jr

by Anonymousreply 71July 22, 2024 8:58 PM

Mark Kelly is an amazing husband and will fight for women's rights. Vance thinks women should stay in abusive marriages and Trump...you know. Mark and Gabby have sacrificed a lot for this shitty country and they have a great story.

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2024 9:07 PM

Stop with the Beto. He’s a proven loser. Democrats don’t have time for that.

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2024 10:31 PM

Now now. Kamala is just as big a loser as Beto.

by Anonymousreply 74July 22, 2024 10:43 PM

he's hot in a straight married dad kind of way

by Anonymousreply 75July 22, 2024 10:51 PM

It’s going to be Roy Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 76July 22, 2024 10:58 PM

Beshear is handsome, but rather dull as a campaigner. He's too slow-and-steady. A nice glass of Ovaltine on a Tuesday night.

He's the vending machine candidate. Like, if you could pay a quarter and push a button, out would pop this guy as your "Presidential Candidate #19."

by Anonymousreply 77July 22, 2024 11:09 PM

Kamala’s staff asked the following senators is to submit their financials and their personal history asap Shapiro Cooper Kelly

All represent swing states

by Anonymousreply 78July 22, 2024 11:10 PM

R78 Two of those three aren't senators.

by Anonymousreply 79July 22, 2024 11:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 22, 2024 11:27 PM

Ugh Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin are all blue states.... Kentucky is purple like Ohio and Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 81July 23, 2024 12:08 AM

Pick Ohio's Sherrod Brown!

by Anonymousreply 82July 23, 2024 12:21 AM

It's not going to be Senator. Let's get that straight right now.

by Anonymousreply 83July 23, 2024 12:22 AM

Kentucky is purple, R81? Kentucky hasn’t picked a Democrat for president in 28 years. In 2020, Donald Trump defeated Joe Biden 62% to 36% in Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 84July 23, 2024 1:13 AM

Agree R84, KY isn’t going to go for Kamala even if Bashear is running as CO-President, much less Vice.

by Anonymousreply 85July 23, 2024 1:18 AM

Kentucky wouldn’t even go for Beshear if Beshear was running for President

Remember, Gore lost Tennessee.

by Anonymousreply 86July 23, 2024 1:27 AM

People on Reddit are really fired up for Mark Kelly. He would keep the momentum going. I'm sure Bashear is very good and Cooper as well, but they're not exactly exciting. It would be like Tim Kaine 2.0.

by Anonymousreply 87July 23, 2024 1:31 AM

Jesus Christ this is just lame and embarrassing.

Of course he’s going to be chosen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 23, 2024 1:37 AM

He's doing the public audition for VP tour

by Anonymousreply 89July 23, 2024 1:45 AM

Doing a VP audition by going on multiple tv news channels in one day might not be Beshear’s best move. He might think he’s still in the running, but Roy Cooper sounds like he knows something.

Cooper’s only interview today was early on Morning Joe where he said:

[quote] "I appreciate people talking about me, but I think the focus right now needs to be on her this week," Cooper said. "And she needs to concentrate on making sure that she secures his nomination and gets the campaign ready to go. The vice presidential conversation needs to occur later."

Maybe that sounds like nothing to you, but to me it sounds like someone who’s been offered a job, or at least knows what the Harris campaign is thinking about a VP announcement.

by Anonymousreply 90July 23, 2024 2:00 AM

And keep in mind that it’s almost certain that the Biden/Harris campaign have been talking to Cooper for months about a cabinet job in their new administration. None of those conversations would have been occurring with any of their other names on the list because they were all serving out terms as Governor or in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 91July 23, 2024 2:05 AM

Cooper seems so generic

by Anonymousreply 92July 23, 2024 2:46 AM

Jesus Christ she’s not going to pick a 67 year old man to debate opposite JD Vance.

It will be a younger white guy.

Buttigieg and O’Rourke will be fantastic opposite Vance.

Unfortunately, it will probably be Beshear, who will come across like Eric Trump to Vance’s Junior.

by Anonymousreply 93July 23, 2024 2:52 AM

Roy Cooper looks old. He's "only" 67, but he's had a long career behind him and a lot of accomplishments. If Harris wants to go with "Steady and Reliable," then that's him. If she wants to go with "A Clean Break with the Past," then that's not him. He's been in politics for almost 40 years straight, and is basically the Joe Biden of North Carolina.

Also, she doesn't need North Carolina to win. She needs Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 94July 23, 2024 2:52 AM

[quote] Buttigieg and O’Rourke will be fantastic opposite Vance.

And will 100% not be chosen. Sorry, Pete's too gay and O'Rourke keeps losing. He tries, but he just keeps losing.

by Anonymousreply 95July 23, 2024 2:57 AM

Roy Cooper is a proven winner against Republicans and has overseen the greatest economic expansion in the history of the state. He meets directly heads of state, recently the Japanese Prime Minister came to the US he stopped in DC and in N.C..

Meanwhile, this is the news about Andy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 23, 2024 2:57 AM

Ain’t no way it’s gonna be Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 97July 23, 2024 4:36 AM

Kamala is not a skilled enough politician to avoid the pressure to choose Beshear

She will choose who she is told and it will be Beshear, who will probably end up being an embarrassment like Kaine was

by Anonymousreply 98July 23, 2024 10:56 AM

r98 Incorrect

by Anonymousreply 99July 23, 2024 10:59 AM

It’s going to be a Senator, of a swing state, whose dem governor could replace him, he will be a many times combat decorated navy pilot, and will have a wife who took a bullet for democracy when she was shot in the brain. Not the ear . And they will be someone who is close to Harris.

Now I will try to figure who could possibly fit that

by Anonymousreply 100July 23, 2024 11:25 AM

Beshear has been much too thirsty! He should have workshopped his routine before going on the news shows.

by Anonymousreply 101July 23, 2024 12:02 PM

She has no need to pick Beshear. You thirsty homos were already gonna vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 102July 23, 2024 3:38 PM

they are not even vetting him.

geez...

and you keep harping on the "hot" (not) ones.

by Anonymousreply 103July 23, 2024 3:44 PM

Shapiro is my bet

by Anonymousreply 104July 23, 2024 8:41 PM

Beshear had a good comment.

[quote] “I mean, the problem with JD Vance is he has no conviction, but I guess his running mate has 34,”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 23, 2024 8:47 PM

Eric Holder's Law Firm is doing the vetting for the potential VP, this will make MAGA heads explode they already think Obama is still running everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 23, 2024 8:52 PM

R106 Holder's done that before, for other campaigns. He's good at it.

Republicans for a long time used AB Culvahouse, a similar lawyer, to vet their running mates and political candidates. It's a definite skill that not many people have.

by Anonymousreply 107July 23, 2024 8:56 PM

Please re-read r91: many of those being names as potential VPs were already on short lists for positions in the next Biden term. Cooper being one - they would have already been under vetting review, or will still be reviewed for cabinet positions in the potential Harris administration.

Whitmer has already said she won't run, but would she turn down a juicy cabinet post?

by Anonymousreply 108July 23, 2024 9:07 PM

[quote]Whitmer has already said she won't run, but would she turn down a juicy cabinet post?

Whitmer is far more valuable as Michigan Governor and staying active in Michigan politics once she leaves office there. A cabinet post can be filled by any drone who can’t win an election, like Pete Buttigieg.

by Anonymousreply 109July 23, 2024 10:20 PM

[quote] Whitmer has already said she won't run, but would she turn down a juicy cabinet post?

I don’t think Trump would hire her.

by Anonymousreply 110July 23, 2024 10:29 PM

Can’t wait to tell you your guy is a big fat stinking orange loser in November r110. Fucking twat.

by Anonymousreply 111July 23, 2024 11:17 PM

The only person you will be calling that word will be the Vice President after November 6, r111.

Kamala Harris cannot win this election. Trump's approval rating has gone up too high, and the chaos of the past few weeks has damaged the party too much. The only possible way Harris could win reelection is if Biden resigns (maybe he'll announce it tonight?) and gives her some time to do things in the Oval Office. But as of now, the conditions point to a significant Electoral College loss.

by Anonymousreply 112July 23, 2024 11:54 PM

Are you a moron r112? The Reuters poll that came out today has Harris above Trump by 2 points - that's without ads, without a VP choice, without the upcoming convention bounce. She only has one way to go in the coming weeks: up. If you take into the account the margin of error, they are at least neck and neck.

You're living in the past, before Sunday when Biden was still the candidate. That's over. Take note: the Dem base is highly energized, and will taking a lot of the middle swing voters (the ones who decide the election) with them.

We could be in a different spot, several weeks from now come Sept/Oct. We'll see....but don't stupidly put your money on the Orange Menace.

by Anonymousreply 113July 24, 2024 12:07 AM

R113 she is 2 points ahead in the national polls but behind in the swing states.

by Anonymousreply 114July 24, 2024 12:26 AM

Well r114, we're only TWO days into this. It's better than Biden's numbers already. Give it time - let's see where she's at next month, at the start of the Dem Convention. We'll reconvene here.

by Anonymousreply 115July 24, 2024 12:32 AM

Jabba the Trump has NEVER WON AN ELECTION. The EC is not an election. This includes the 2000 election when he lost the Reform Party nomination to Pat Buchanan. Hair 🤡Furor will continue his losing tradition as long as he persists in forcing himself on the American 🇺🇸public. So long, 🇷🇺Boris, eat 💩shit and die, you gravy sucking pig. 🐽

by Anonymousreply 116July 24, 2024 12:39 AM

R8 Wrong..

Andy B. has won twice in a red state & is more familiar with voters than the nobody from Penn with just 1 win & 2 years under his belt.

VP's are not about wining a state (Lloyd B. from Texas anyone?) but balancing a ticket to make more voters comfortable with the top nominee.

Andy B. is more known in the mid west with independents than the Penn. gov. & is viewed as a moderate dem who is LIKABLE.

Andy will help mid west candidates in Ohio, Mich, Penn, Indiana, Western WV, Ml, Va, NC, northern Tenn. areas & southern Ill.as his support is far reaching.

Penn. is seen as Northeast left leaning state & that guy won't attract many votes from the Ill, Tenn., & even Iowa corners.

I have relatives that are aware of him (& have nothing bad to say about him) but none are aware of Mr. Nobody in Penn.

by Anonymousreply 117July 24, 2024 12:51 AM

[quote]Andy B. is more known in the mid west with independents

Well that's fucking hunky-dory, but it doesn't do jack shit to help Harris anywhere else.

[quote]VP's are not about wining a state (Lloyd B. from Texas anyone?) but balancing a ticket to make more voters comfortable with the top nominee.

You're giving away your advanced age, cupcake. I had no idea what you meant, and had to google to see you were talking about Dukakis's running mate in an election 35+ YEARS AGO. They also lost, by a lot, so this entirely defeats your point if you had one to begin with (and you don't).

[quote]Andy will help mid west candidates in Ohio, Mich, Penn, Indiana, Western WV, Ml, Va, NC, northern Tenn. areas & southern Ill.as his support is far reaching.

You just described some of the reddest parts of America, and you are flat-out delusional if you think merely having Andy Beshear as a running mate will convince cracker-ass Midwestern racists to vote for a biracial women. The rural parts of these states are HARDCORE MAGA land.

[quote]Penn. is seen as Northeast left leaning state & that guy won't attract many votes from the Ill, Tenn., & even Iowa corners.

Well, Illinois is a lock for the Dems, and they have zero shot in TN or IA, so this is irrelevant – plus it's irrelevant what *others* think of PA. The point of nominating Shapiro is to WIN Pennsylvania, and as of late it's been trending towards Trump.

Beshear's not getting it; if it's not Shapiro, it'll be Kelly or Cooper. Let it go already, hon. This thread is already embarrassingly long about a candidate who won't be competing – much like the entire Republican convention!

by Anonymousreply 118July 24, 2024 1:09 AM

[quote] Are you a moron [R112]?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 119July 24, 2024 1:16 AM

I love you, R117. I agree with everything you've said. I live in the Midwest (Wisconsin), and people know Andy and love him here (especially how he handled the teacher union strike in his state).

Despite what the Josh Shapiro/R118 fanboy is selling, Beshear appeals more to progressives, moderates, and independents in the flyover states than Shapiro.

by Anonymousreply 120July 24, 2024 1:21 AM

[quote]Kamala Harris cannot win this election. Trump's approval rating has gone up too high, and the chaos of the past few weeks has damaged the party too much. The only possible way Harris could win reelection is if Biden resigns (maybe he'll announce it tonight?) and gives her some time to do things in the Oval Office. But as of now, the conditions point to a significant Electoral College loss.

This. Is. Fiction. Just as ridiculous as all the "October surprise..." conspiracy theorists behind the "[insert Democrat politician name] will NEVER win!" absurdity, which I recall on here even in 2008 & 2016.

Will you let it go after Biden doesn't drop out? Please?

by Anonymousreply 121July 24, 2024 1:22 AM

*Even in 2020, not 2016.

by Anonymousreply 122July 24, 2024 1:22 AM

I like Andy Beshear, but he won't turn Kentucky blue for the Dems.

Does Andy help the Dems get Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania?

by Anonymousreply 123July 24, 2024 2:07 AM

Shhh, R123, you'll be accused of being a Beshear Troll!!!

by Anonymousreply 124July 24, 2024 2:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 24, 2024 2:52 AM

My sources tell me the new them song when the Dem VP comes on stage is one of two under consideration.

The theme song from Top Gun ( my choice) or Fly Me To The Moon which I see as just OK. I have no idea why they picked those two.

by Anonymousreply 126July 24, 2024 11:09 AM

A Kelly selection is by all accounts idiotic, but no one ever accused Harris of being a brilliant politician.

by Anonymousreply 127July 24, 2024 11:12 AM

“ By all accounts”

JHC if that statement R127 does not capture all the idiocy of DL I don’t know what does

by Anonymousreply 128July 24, 2024 11:19 AM

He’s getting a lot of love from the liberal pundits lately. Even publications such as the Nation respects Andy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 24, 2024 3:27 PM

I'll miss thinking about Newsom's big cock.

by Anonymousreply 130July 24, 2024 3:34 PM

JOSH!!!

by Anonymousreply 131July 24, 2024 3:47 PM

turkey neck...barf!

by Anonymousreply 132July 24, 2024 4:05 PM

NYT (yeah, I know...) this morning mentioned a few names, mostly the usual suspects:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 24, 2024 4:08 PM

I truly believe it’s between Josh and Andy.

by Anonymousreply 134July 24, 2024 4:22 PM

R123 Every voter doesn't fall into the blue or red category despite the way the DL talks.

Purple voters are now the new majority in the US & Andy is closer to them than far right JD Vance.

In a debate the contrast will be even more clearer.

Kamala needs a big break with purple voters.

If this was the early 70s then the astronaut guy would've been the clear choice.

by Anonymousreply 135July 24, 2024 10:17 PM

I don't get the Kelly insistence myself. I like him in the Senate, but as veep no. For one thing, Bashear should be well known in the Cincinnati media market enough to put Vance's Ohio in play.

by Anonymousreply 136July 24, 2024 10:31 PM

R136 As someone who has Ohio connections, I've only seen about 3 Biden/Harris lawn signs in the state compared to hundreds of Trump ones.

I don't think the dems can win it this cycle but they can help Brown win reelection with the right VP.

Andy will help those Senate candidates that might not want to be seen with a "top 10 most liberal Senator" Kamala.

I bet if Senate candidates are seen with Harris once they'll want to be seen with the VP twice.

by Anonymousreply 137July 24, 2024 10:41 PM

R137: this has only unfolded in a matter of days.

by Anonymousreply 138July 24, 2024 10:57 PM

R88 You're not kidding. That was embarrassing.

First off, concise is the key. He was rambling in the beginning.

Second, emphasis. He just meanders in his delivery. That 34 just lays there and he pauses as if he's impressed with himself.

Please tell me she's not taking him.

by Anonymousreply 139July 24, 2024 11:09 PM

R137 - The country was awash with Trump lawn signs in 2020. It didn't do him any good. They are indicative of nothing. Jimmy Carter was my first presidential vote and I've never had a lawn sign.

by Anonymousreply 140July 24, 2024 11:15 PM

There are waaay more of us than of them, but they are just a lot louder

by Anonymousreply 141July 24, 2024 11:19 PM

OP, The Beshear family photo couldn't get any whiter.

by Anonymousreply 142July 25, 2024 12:23 AM

R81, Except Pennsylvania was Red for Trump in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 143July 25, 2024 12:26 AM

He should be banned from the ticket for his shameful interview with Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 144July 25, 2024 12:28 AM

[quote]Ugh Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin are all blue states

Pennsyltucky is not a blue state. It's rabid red. It's not Philadelphia. Democrats are blue dogs.

by Anonymousreply 145July 25, 2024 1:23 AM

[quote]He’s getting a lot of love from the liberal pundits lately.

Then you know he's a loser.

by Anonymousreply 146July 25, 2024 1:24 AM

Wrong R140. I lived in Ohio in 2016 & when the DL said Hills was going to possibly carry the state, I told them that Trump signs were on 90% of the lawns & windows (of several counties outside Columbus Oh).

It was a sign of the times but the DL laughed & when Hills lost to Trumpy it was a 6-month depression time on here.

I love Harris more than Biden or Hills but the dems aren't going to carry the state this time either.

by Anonymousreply 147July 25, 2024 5:44 AM

R147: I think we may be encouraged by the pro-choice referendum success.

by Anonymousreply 148July 25, 2024 6:56 AM

Fuck Ohio it’s a shit state no one cares about full,of inbred cunts

by Anonymousreply 149July 25, 2024 8:07 AM

[quote]Pennsyltucky is not a blue state. It's rabid red. It's not Philadelphia. Democrats are blue dogs.

The PA electorate is about 40% Pennsyltucky which always votes red, and about 40% urban Pittsburgh and Philadelphia which always vote blue. The election is decided in the suburbs which make up the other 20% and can go either way.

by Anonymousreply 150July 25, 2024 11:22 AM

Beshear seems too dull. Kelly seems tougher.

by Anonymousreply 151July 25, 2024 11:27 AM

R150 what about us? We play a role.

by Anonymousreply 152July 25, 2024 11:35 AM

R151

Seems tougher? Kelly would be the highest combat decorated VP since….? Maybe ever?

And while Vance may seem to be a wacky space cadet similar to HS cadet trump to most of us Kelly is the real deal and actually blasted into space.

Never Without Heroes this could be the title of Kelly’s bio.

by Anonymousreply 153July 25, 2024 11:42 AM

Shapiro

by Anonymousreply 154July 25, 2024 12:12 PM

Harris will carry Hispanic, black, gay, liberal, female vote. She will get clobbered big time with males.

Who would appeal to straight males more a military reporter who never saw combat or highly decorated Kelly?

It’s sure not Pete or sweet looking Andy or any of the others being discussed.

by Anonymousreply 155July 25, 2024 12:50 PM

R153, I think George H. W. Bush’s military awards are equal, or come very close. Before him, who knows but they would have served a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 156July 25, 2024 5:44 PM

Bush would be a good guess. I should have thought of him. But it’s not close at all. Kelly laps him and then some as far as combat awards.

But Bush was the real deal. Props to him.

R153

by Anonymousreply 157July 25, 2024 5:55 PM

You’re right R157, I thought Kelly’s highest decoration was the Distinguished Flying Cross but he’s got, as my Navy dad would have said, a real billboard.

by Anonymousreply 158July 25, 2024 6:13 PM

Kelly looks alpha and like he could be a member of MAGA himself. He has the military background that Kamala lacks He appeals to the straight white male more then any other candidate Best shot to beat Trump

by Anonymousreply 159July 25, 2024 8:18 PM

I think kelly appeals to many straight black males as well. He is traditional mans man. A tough real life ass kicker.

. I think the dip in Biden support among black men and the increase seen by Trump may have had a lot to do with who looks and acts strong tough takes no shit and not just with words.

by Anonymousreply 160July 25, 2024 8:30 PM

R160, I agree!! Think of male primates and how they assert dominance around other males. We are primates.

by Anonymousreply 161July 26, 2024 3:48 AM

He needs to remain exactly where he's at -- a blue governor in charge of a scarlet-red state.

by Anonymousreply 162July 26, 2024 3:50 AM

Kelly is more suitable as Secretary of State than vice president. While he's the same age as Harris, he looks ten years older than her. Labor unions don't care for Kelly, the complete opposite of Joe Biden, who has been the most pro-union president since LBJ. And picking him doesn't build on the momentum of Harris's campaign among first-time young voters. Kelly is the kind of pick that'd make sense if this was still the 80s or 90s, but he doesn't signal any generational change.

Again, Andy Beshear became governor TWICE in blood-red Kentucky, meaning he appealed to many voters who supported Trump/MAGA. The idea that Beshear doesn't have massive appeal is asinine.

by Anonymousreply 163July 26, 2024 4:08 AM

[quote] Andy Beshear became governor TWICE in blood-red Kentucky, meaning he appealed to many voters who supported Trump/MAGA.

R163, you forgot to add “in off-year elections when no national races were on the ballot.” Roy Cooper won as a Democrat on the same ballot that Trump won the top contests, twice, and got more votes than Trump both times.

by Anonymousreply 164July 26, 2024 4:18 AM

Roy Cooper is not happening, R164.

The Baby Boomers have had their forty years in charge. It's time to let somebody else have a God damned stab at it

by Anonymousreply 165July 26, 2024 5:05 AM

Roy Cooper is also not happening because of a quirk in NC state law which transfers power to the the Lt. Gov anytime he leaves the state.

Therein, it would be extremely difficult to do a campaign event in Michigan or Wisconsin knowing that a rogue, crackpot like Robinson, abetted with a GOP-majority legislature, could change state law between lunch and cocktail hour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 26, 2024 5:11 AM

[quote] I think kelly appeals to many straight black males as well.

Kelly does not appeal to Millennials and Gen Z who now make up half of the Democratic electorate.

by Anonymousreply 167July 26, 2024 5:16 AM

R166, untrue. I’m sorry you’ve been misinformed but your understanding of how government works in NC is not based on facts.

The NC constitution structures the legislative process in such a way that the Legislature cannot draft new legislation in the second year, or session, of the two year legislative term. They can only tweak bills that are still in committee waiting to be passed. Given the fact the legislature has already adjourned for the year, formally ending this legislative term, no bills can be drafted and no unpassed bills remain that could be tweaked for ill purposes since the ending of the legislative term disbands all committees and erases all work in progress.

Along with a weaker than average veto, the governor of NC has very little control of the day-to-day running of the various state agencies and can’t really do much alone other than issuing non-binding proclamations.

This is illustrated by recent events late last year while Cooper was spearheading a trade mission to Japan to meet with Abe.

Lt. Gov Johnson was the acting governor for a week and a half while Cooper was away and was already the only serious contender for the GOP nomination for Governor.

Even with the Legislature in session, and before most controversial and politically important agenda-driven bills had been passed, nothing happened. No havoc wreaked, other than Johnson issuing a non-binding proclamation of support for Israel in the then young Gaza war.

Even the veto power of the Governor is moot now because if the Legislature decided to ignore the state constitution and reconvene, draft and pass a terrible bill with only GOP votes, Cooper couldn’t do anything to stop it because the GOP has veto proof majorities in both chambers of the legislature and has overridden every veto Cooper has issued this session.

by Anonymousreply 168July 26, 2024 6:32 AM

Thanks, R168

What about appointments and proclamations?

by Anonymousreply 169July 26, 2024 2:20 PM

R167 that sounds a lot like your opinion unless you have polling data to support that.

These youngsters likely wont know who Kelly is until it’s explained that he is the real life Maverick from Top Gun and the real life Tom Hanks in some space movie. Then let’s see how they like him then.

People like heroes.

by Anonymousreply 170July 26, 2024 2:27 PM

R1169, all appointments that do not require state senate approval or which have not been wholesale removed from the purview of the Governor by this GOP legislature, have been filled. Cooper has worked with these cretins for a long time, the last eight years in direct opposition as Governor.

The proclamations that the Governor can issue are non-binding, meaning they don’t have the force of law, and other than the cost of the paper they are printed on, don’t have much value.

I can back to this thread to correct my statement at R168. The legislative term has not been totally gaveled out. The Senate has adjourned and are the slate is wiped clean until the next term but the House has one more day scheduled, probably next Tuesday, in which they will meet to override Cooper’s last vetos that have already been overridden by the Senate. On that day, the House will also gavel out and the term of this Legislature will be completely over.

NC has what is known as a “part-time” legislature and they were supposed to be done for the session in January 1st. Every one of them is itching to get this over with so that they can go back home to their districts and campaign for November.

by Anonymousreply 171July 26, 2024 3:54 PM

Astronauts are not sexy to young people.

Even dorkish Mayor Pete has more appeal to them than Space Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 172July 26, 2024 3:58 PM

R172 again I will assume you are just talking out your ass with no polling data to support anything. Get back to me a few weeks after he is named VP by Harris.

How expensive would it be to get that theme song from Top Gun as his theme music? Some here might know.

Harris has good stuff, Trump has YMCA. Kelly will need something better than Fly Me to the Moon. Or Sailor Boy a hit from the 60s

by Anonymousreply 173July 26, 2024 4:04 PM

National Review has been targeting Beshear ever since he slammed Vance. They write hit-piece articles about him almost every other day.

I think they fear him the most.

by Anonymousreply 174July 26, 2024 7:53 PM

[QUOTE]Harris will carry Hispanic, black, gay, liberal, female vote

True about all groups except Hispanics. Trump made huge inroads with Latinos and Harris is currently polling behind with them. A Latino outreach group is needed ASAP. Check out Mike Madrid's feed on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 175July 26, 2024 8:21 PM

latinos can be very racist against blacks. i've found that out.

by Anonymousreply 176July 26, 2024 8:29 PM

Goes both ways, R176.

by Anonymousreply 177July 26, 2024 11:59 PM

Yeah I noticed that too.

by Anonymousreply 178July 27, 2024 12:04 AM

[quote] Again, Andy Beshear became governor TWICE in blood-red Kentucky, meaning he appealed to many voters who supported Trump/MAGA.

I don't mind Beshear if he's selected, but he comes from a political dynasty in KY. He's not someone who ran there with low name recognition and having to build a campaign from scratch. As the saying goes, he was born on the third base (by Kentucky standards.)

by Anonymousreply 179July 27, 2024 12:07 AM

Beshear is fine, but Shapiro is better.

by Anonymousreply 180July 27, 2024 12:20 AM

R180 Beshear isn't afraid of Vance, and he isn't afraid to defend his state. I think he would work really well with Kamala, but I guess we'll have to wait until the convention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 27, 2024 12:25 AM

Tim Walz! We'd win with punishing ease and joy.

by Anonymousreply 182July 27, 2024 12:31 AM

Saw him this morning-he’s a good choice

by Anonymousreply 183July 27, 2024 12:35 AM

I hate when I am fucking right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184July 27, 2024 12:38 AM

Fuck fuck fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 27, 2024 12:39 AM

I was just about to post that, R184. And considering that very cryptic message he posted on Twitter, I think he's the one.

by Anonymousreply 186July 27, 2024 12:39 AM

Get up to speed, r53. Hissssss!🐍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 27, 2024 12:42 AM

It’s great that we're in a position where Harris has multiple excellent candidates to choose from.

Imagine being Trump, who had JD Couchfucker, Dog-killer Noem, or gay Uncle Tim to pick from.

by Anonymousreply 188July 27, 2024 12:42 AM

R165, Joe Biden is not of the Baby Boomer generation, which by definition is post-WWII.

Obama is for all intents and purposes, Gen X (1961).

Clinton, Dubya, and Trump are Boomers, all 1946.

by Anonymousreply 189July 27, 2024 12:51 AM

[quote]Obama is for all intents and purposes, Gen X (1961).

Wrong. X starts in 1965.

by Anonymousreply 190July 27, 2024 1:02 AM

Damn, Harris misses Gen X just by one year. I guess that's why she comes off as a Gen Xer to me than a Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 191July 27, 2024 1:06 AM

It’s like she saw Tim Kaine and said, “Get me that, but with Asperger’s Syndrome.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 27, 2024 1:08 AM

Beshear will appeal to other hillbilly states other than Kentucky-- I think in many ways he is the wisest choice. He may help clinch a key swing state... I absolutely dig Josh and the Arizonian Bald Astronaut though..

by Anonymousreply 193July 27, 2024 1:08 AM

Oh, please, R192. He's nothing like Tim Kaine. For one, Beshear is young and attractive. I like Krystal Ball's description of him as a "middle-class dad in his 40s who drives his family around in a minivan." That's the appeal you need for swing voters and independents.

by Anonymousreply 194July 27, 2024 1:12 AM

[quote]My personal opinion? There's no real way to win the race now.

Your MAGA roots are showing.

by Anonymousreply 195July 27, 2024 1:13 AM

This "fear, uncertainty, doom" trolling is so two weeks ago. And way too transparent at this point.

by Anonymousreply 196July 27, 2024 1:16 AM

If they try to pass him off as a minivan Dad, they will fail miserably.

You cannot repackage an Aspie as a regular person. People will ALWAYS sense something is off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 27, 2024 1:17 AM

[quote] .Imagine being Trump, who had JD Couchfucker, Dog-killer Noem, or gay Uncle Tim to pick from.

You forgot somebody

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 27, 2024 1:18 AM

Let's wait and see. Maybe he just heard that he's a semifinalist and just got so excited he couldn't help but post a cryptic tweet. He's not my first choice, but I think he is definitely safe and white enough to bring in some Kamala skeptics.

by Anonymousreply 199July 27, 2024 1:19 AM

R195 and your autistic ones are.

by Anonymousreply 200July 27, 2024 1:20 AM

Dick Durbin

by Anonymousreply 201July 27, 2024 1:21 AM

[quote] Dick Durbin

can go fuck himself

by Anonymousreply 202July 27, 2024 1:23 AM

The delicious taste of Schadenfreude, R198.

by Anonymousreply 203July 27, 2024 1:24 AM

Wait, is the Aspie troll also the doom and gloom troll?

Well, I shouldn't be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 204July 27, 2024 1:37 AM

It should have been this guy if they weren’t willing to risk Buttigieg.

This is a plain-talking Midwesterner. This is the real deal. This gets you Wisconsin and Michigan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205July 27, 2024 1:37 AM

Walz would be perfect as Secretary of Labor.

by Anonymousreply 206July 27, 2024 3:58 AM

Any white-haired man is going to be a No.

by Anonymousreply 207July 27, 2024 4:13 AM

I like him but it's going to be Shapiro, Kelly or Cooper. I wish it could be Whitmer but that's a lot to ask from this still white man country.

by Anonymousreply 208July 27, 2024 4:17 AM

[quote] Beshear is young and attractive

R194, I’ll give you young, at least relatively young for a politician, but attractive you’re going to have to walk back a bit. I’ll go as far as saying he’s not unattractive, even average looking, but you’re going to have to supply some pictures of him without a jacket, not behind a podium or on a stage, preferably with some VPL to get me on the attractive bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 209July 27, 2024 5:24 AM

That is the whitest white family I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 210July 27, 2024 7:23 AM

Poor Andy Beshear truly too whitebread?

by Anonymousreply 211July 27, 2024 10:33 AM

Clear messages don’t cut it in 2024. Cryptic is the way to go, And a cryptic message that looks like you are scooping Harris and tipping people off to what Harris will do before Harris announces it is best of all.

They are still no doubt going thru years or decades of comments to see if there are any dolphins or couches hidden there. Vance is a clear reason why the vetting will go on for a while.

by Anonymousreply 212July 27, 2024 11:19 AM

R205- Thank you for that. What a cool man.

by Anonymousreply 213July 27, 2024 11:22 AM

It makes no difference who she picks Harris is very unpopular

by Anonymousreply 214July 27, 2024 11:23 AM

Good article on Beshear from the NYT today.

[quote] “She would get a guy who knows how to talk to rural Americans, who knows how to reflect the most positive aspects of rural America, and therefore able to make our case to the folks in rural America who felt abandoned by the Democratic Party,” said Mike Ward, a Democratic former representative from Kentucky.

It’s that appeal that will help Harris win Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Georgia. No surprise that he’s holding a rally in Atlanta this Sunday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 27, 2024 7:18 PM

Sending a Kentuckian to win the Midwest is like sending a Belgian to lead the French.

I lived in the Midwest for 10 years. If all they need to do is win the Midwest, it has to be Tim Walz. The only way he could be more Midwest is if he ended this ad with "Five eight eight, two three hundred."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216July 27, 2024 7:28 PM

Andy seems like he may have a dark side....and I'm here for it.

Joking aside IMO her choice is Whitmer. Best option.

by Anonymousreply 217July 27, 2024 7:29 PM

Walz, just like Kelly, looks about twenty years older than Harris even though both are the same age as her. Nah, it won’t be Walz. And I like Walz! He’s a solid progressive who fights for the working class. Walz would be great as Secretary of Labor.

Also, I live in Wisconsin and the people here like Andy Beshear, especially standing up for the teachers union.

by Anonymousreply 218July 27, 2024 7:35 PM

If Andy is not being vetted- its not him. Maybe the MSNBC article is wrong

by Anonymousreply 219July 27, 2024 7:38 PM

Whitmer is a great option, but they’re not doing two women. Not gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 220July 27, 2024 7:39 PM

[quote]Walz, just like Kelly, looks about twenty years older than Harris even though both are the same age as her.

This is a problem. Dumping Biden was all about getting rid of elderly politicians and moving into the future with younger leaders. Candidates who look old are going to cut it. And Kelly is great, but he just looks plain weird. Appearances matter, especially this year against that hideous orange thing.

by Anonymousreply 221July 27, 2024 7:41 PM

Look. No one really knows what is going on. They;re all talking to different people who tell them shit that they think they know but they don't. Kamala is finding out who her leakers are by feeding all of them different information. LOL! Everyone thinks Kelly is the front runner.He may well be. He sure could address border issues. But personally I don't care for him. I don't think he will bring much to the ticket and you can't be VP if you don't win. If she wants to win, she should go with Whitmer or BeShears. Period. Just make sure Andy isn't hiding something shady. He has crazy eyes.

by Anonymousreply 222July 27, 2024 10:05 PM

During the pandemic Beshear started the “Govern me Daddy” meme

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223July 28, 2024 4:58 AM

[quote] He might run for Vice President or he might clean the garage. It’s the weekend, anything can happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224July 29, 2024 3:32 AM

^^^.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225July 29, 2024 4:34 AM

Walk has credibility on the gun control issues, seeing as he’s a hunter himself who gets an F from the NRA.

by Anonymousreply 226July 29, 2024 2:12 PM

I like Walz. He looks very avuncular, yet he's quite energetic and on point.

by Anonymousreply 227July 29, 2024 2:18 PM

Amy Klobuchar is probably pushing for Walz, being from MN.

by Anonymousreply 228July 29, 2024 2:21 PM

Of all the reasons someone makes a good candidate for Harris’s running mate, Hogg’s reason at R225 is the least compelling. The pick should be for what they add to Harris, not how their elevation would clear the way for a woman of color to tick off a box.

by Anonymousreply 229July 29, 2024 4:22 PM

R226

One DEM VP pick will own the gun issue. And it’s not your hunter bad grade or not.

by Anonymousreply 230July 29, 2024 4:44 PM

R230, R229 is probably not talking about appealing to the base for gun control, but rather appeal to swing and conservative-leaning voters who might not like Trump but are afraid Democrats want to confiscate all guns.

by Anonymousreply 231July 29, 2024 4:58 PM

Shapiro is starting to look desperate. Flop sweat is not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 232July 29, 2024 5:00 PM

Tim Walz looks 15 years older, but he has fantastic energy and is a great communicator. I can see how he was an effective teacher. I can also see how he was a student favorite. He has a relatability factor that's lacking in Shapiro and Kelly. Don't know about Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 233July 29, 2024 7:38 PM

Cooper has taken himself out of the running for VP.

by Anonymousreply 234July 29, 2024 11:38 PM

I knew it wouldn’t be Cooper. Unfortunately, he’s 67, making him too old. Otherwise, he would’ve been perfect if he was ten years younger.

by Anonymousreply 235July 29, 2024 11:48 PM

Harris/Beshear. MAGA= Make America Goodlooking Again

by Anonymousreply 236July 29, 2024 11:52 PM

R232, you're delusional. Shapiro is the leading candidate, along with Mark Kelly & Tim Walz.

And contrary to the Andy Beshear Troll's deepest wishes, Harris isn't picking someone from fucking Kentucky to be on her ticket. He's not even MENTIONED here!

"...people familiar with the process say a short list has emerged including three elected officials with nationwide appeal: Arizona Senator Mark Kelly, Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro and Minnesota Governor Tim Walz."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 29, 2024 11:53 PM

Walz kind of came out of nowhere. Nobody had even heard of him two weeks ago. His rise has just been organic and it seems like he's the right voice and right messenger at this particular moment. I think she should go with him.

by Anonymousreply 238July 29, 2024 11:56 PM

I will be glad when she finally picks her VP so we can move on from there and talk about the overall policies she intends to implement.

by Anonymousreply 239July 30, 2024 12:00 AM

[quote] And contrary to the Andy Beshear Troll's deepest wishes, Harris isn't picking someone from fucking Kentucky to be on her ticket. He's not even MENTIONED here!

But he's mentioned elsewhere, Shapiro Troll. Bloomberg is just one of many outlets.

Anyway, while I like Beshear and have advocated for him for a week, I'm leaning more toward Walz. He comes off as a more seasoned politician and can connect to the white working class the same way as Beshear. Beshear or Walz would be better than Shapiro or Kelly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240July 30, 2024 12:02 AM

She needs someone who can land Michigan, Wisconsin, and maybe Ohio. PA I think will be OK. Someone who can also deliver in Georgia, Nevada, and Arizona. Maybe Walz can deliver. I think BeShear would do OK in Michigan and Ohio and possibly Wisconsin, but Walz is more effective there.But maybe Beshear can probably get Arizona and Nevada.

I don't think Shapiro is the front runner.

by Anonymousreply 241July 30, 2024 1:37 AM

Mark Kelly's stance on fossil fuel industry/ environment is very problematic.

by Anonymousreply 242July 30, 2024 1:37 AM

This ho who is out to ruin Shapiro sounds like a nutter.

by Anonymousreply 243July 30, 2024 4:54 AM

[quote] Who would appeal to straight males more a military reporter who never saw combat or highly decorated Kelly?

I don't think male voters are impressed by military service. Trump famously avoided military service, as did his bonehead sons, and he has nothing but contempt for servicemembers and never did anything to help them. Yet white male voters, and many servicemembers, still idolize him. I don't understand it. He is a despicable (sub)human being and they love him.

by Anonymousreply 244July 30, 2024 5:19 AM

“I don’t think Male voters”

Insight from a gay man that likes gay romance movies more than top gun movies?

by Anonymousreply 245July 30, 2024 9:48 AM

[quote]She needs someone who can land Michigan, Wisconsin, and maybe Ohio.

Ohio is not voting Blue. It shouldn’t even figure into the calculation.

by Anonymousreply 246July 30, 2024 12:01 PM

[quote] Insight from a gay man that likes gay romance movies more than top gun movies?

R245 has never had sex with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 247July 30, 2024 2:05 PM

There were former marines with their "Sempre Fie" t shirts at the Buckley PA rally where Trump was shot at. Ridiculous. A certain type of male with a distorted view of manhood, and machismo, who is probably a bully would definitely go for Trump. As an aside, I've made the observation that our military is much uglier now. If affects the fabric of society. Back in the 60's we had a military draft. So "citizen soldiers" but now you enlist. Certain types love that military aura. And they often take two or three or even four tours in Iraq or Afghanistan. They're not real bright.

by Anonymousreply 248July 30, 2024 5:23 PM

R248, many, many years ago when the Active Duty porn website used real servicemembers some of those guys were really hot. I don't know what active duty military looks like today.

by Anonymousreply 249July 30, 2024 7:43 PM

they actually don't get in military trouble if they do porn.

by Anonymousreply 250July 30, 2024 7:45 PM

I'm trying to pictures these various potential VPs as sitting in the room discussing strategy or policy with the POTUS HArris and honestly, I can see Walz best. His personality seems ot owrk wih hers. BeShear comes across not as good and Kelly not at all.

by Anonymousreply 251July 30, 2024 7:57 PM

I cannot believe it’s been just EIGHT days since this started, holy shite! I have changed my mind around 10,000 times. In this particular moment, at this point in time, for this situation, and for the “mood” of both white men and the Democratic Party as a whole, the clearest choice is Walz. Talk to me after I workout, it may change yet again. But the more and more I hear and see him, the more I really think that he is The One/Neo. Tongue-in-cheek, all jokes aside, I don’t believe anyone can save us from ourselves. WE have to save ourselves. As Joe said, “it’s about YOU”.

Walz, a former *teacher*, very very very much understands this leadership principle. Walz Walz Walz, go all the way Kamala!!!! Walz will make an excellent pitbull for her, they can play good cop bad cop on policy too. Use him for outreach to men (across all races as a former teacher on a Native Reservation, he knows how to talk different cultural languages), and use Kamala on women (again, across all races). They are the PERFECT union and balance. She’s a black highly educated woman from the liberal West Coast who understands what women go through in this country, Walz is from the middle of the US, and he is in love with the working class/regular people, the working class way of life, and is able to harness male energy in a positive direction. I truly believe it should be Walz. HOWEVER, our cup runneth over, whoever she picks will indeed make it work. But I think Walz has the right combination at the right time.

Also — let’s not forget that choosing a VP is no different than any other hiring or recruiting process. A candidate can look great on paper, but there needs to be chemistry with the team for it to truly work, which is why bigger orgs have candidates do 1:1’s with various team members, and then collectively share their feedback with leaders to make the final and best pick collectively. The Dems are doing exactly that by trotting these candidates out, they actually want and welcome and need our feedback. And my feedback, as a person living in Chicago, is that Walz’s pro-union, pro-gun rights with (duh) bans/restrictions on weapons of war, pro-social security and safety net, pro “mind your own damn business” on government telling doctors and patients what to do and feel…..you just can’t lose with Walz. You might even consider calling your Senator/Representative and sharing who you want to see? SM is much easier, but it will also be drowned out by all the excitement and noise right now.

Strategically speaking, Walz is 100% the best pick, and I spent a week arguing for Shapiro only because I didn’t even know Walz. We are in a strong position — but please don’t fuck it up by getting cocky because we have not yet won, we need to stay focused on winning. And Rethugs are about to try and use SCOTUS to pick the next President, so the ONLY way to stop that is to overwhelm them with turnout. Nothing else matters right now, truly nothing!!

by Anonymousreply 252July 30, 2024 8:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!