Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is anyone else limiting their news consumption?

I don't mean to be a MARY!!! but I am avoiding media such as the NYTimes, WashPo, The Atlantic, The New Republic, and others.

I can only take so much doom and gloom. I know who I am voting for in November: Biden or whomever else is on the ticket as the Democratic nominee and all down-ticket Dems. I don't want or need to be bombarded with political news, polls, opinions, etc, between now and then. It doesn't serve a useful function, really.

Instead of consuming news all the time, I'm going to read novels, starting with -- appropriately enough -- War and Peace.

I did the same in the months following the 2016 election.

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2024 5:15 PM

I was just thinking the same thing as I scrolled through the WP & NT sites. I wouldn't necessarily say they want Trump, but it feels like practically a coronation - the next Trump presidency is inevitable. Everything is turning his way & against the dithering Dems. I try to think of the upside: all of these people who are on the face, indifferent or in love with that creep RFK Jr. better wake up. Plus that, it's early - plenty of time for the narrative to change.

But while I feel bad for Biden, at this point it just seems like he's delaying the inevitable & ultimately hurting fundraising efforts. The only path at this point is to make a bold move, energize the base & make donors feel like they're not just throwing their $$ away. So yes, I'm trying to avoid news consumption, but it's hard to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2024 9:46 AM

*on the fence*

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2024 9:46 AM

I feel so much better when I manage to go a day without news. But then I come to DL, see all the Trump and Biden threads, and my blood pressure shoots through the roof again.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2024 9:53 AM

I REALLY need to

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2024 9:59 AM

Yes, I am avoiding the news. I’m not even checking this site as often.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2024 10:04 AM

Yep. Just check headlines and move on. Have 140+ threads blocked here, down from an all-time hugh of 165 last week.

There's no material difference I can make from following political threads here. I learned that from getting on a froth about the 2004 election here and on the blogs, and we know what happened then. There's no need to make this year's extremely stressful situation more stressful, especially with so much discussion of third rail topics that bring out/encourage the worst of DL.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2024 10:13 AM

r6 how many threads can you block at once?

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2024 10:17 AM

Yes. I gave up on cable news and network news in 2020.

Now I glance at the headlines at the NYT, WaPo and a few other sites. I'll read a few stories that pique my interest but nothing that just feeds into the Debbie Downer news addiction.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2024 10:20 AM

I don't think there's an upper limit, but you do have to keep re-blocking when the odd blocked thread pops up again.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2024 10:52 AM

Thanks r9

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2024 10:55 AM

Seriously, you are tired of political doom and gloom so you spend your time on DL? I dont think that makes any sense at all.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2024 11:08 AM

Yes, there is in fact an upper limit to ignored threads and the first one added gets knocked off once you pass that limit.

Not that ignoring threads helps one bit. Once you've seen the thread title, you're already demoralised.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2024 1:27 PM

*knocked off the ignore list

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2024 1:27 PM

Rr5-Ditto

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2024 1:29 PM

Have to admit I feel pretty hopeless right now and avoiding news seems to help. I’m voting blue in the fall no matter what but what more can an individual do? So much is out of our hands.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2024 1:33 PM

Same here, OP. Lots of entertaining reading (Anthony Horowitz and the Brodie Jackson detective books) and have been watching "Family" from start to finish and wishing I lived in their late-seventies world. I occasionally take a quick look at the Meidas Touch Network, which tends to put a more positive spin on the doom and gloom. I, of course, will be voting an all-Democratic ticket in November. I still think we can make this happen. The polls are no barometer at all and mainstream media are Trump apologists but many of us loathe him.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2024 1:39 PM

CNN does not come remotely close to DL as far as constant never ending doom and gloom and depression.

. In fact if doom and gloom was banned from DL I don’t know what we would have left except for attacks on Taylor Swift, the weekend meth driven threads, some actors I never heard of, and a long list of great threads on fav recipes .

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2024 1:40 PM

Limiting your intake of television "news" is a very good idea for your central nervous system and your psychological health. Television news networks are big business and they manipulate the biochemistry of the viewer for ratings. It's that fucking simple. Click bait and "don't change that channel" are part and parcel of today's television news business. Talking about the major networks as well as FOX, CNN and MSNBC. You'd be better off watching cartoons. The endless "breaking new" banners, when there is no breaking news. Analysts who are deeply influenced by their employers or the network's agenda and anchors who are little more than demographic bait for an ever dwindling and fickle audience that has been taught belief confirmation IS news and that belief confirmation is something they are owed. They shop for news like you'd shop for a pair of shoes: They have to fit, be attractive and most of all be comfortable.

READ print journalism and focus on the facts of the story as much as the story itself. The NYTimes and WAP are loaded with bullshit and agendas but your central nervous system isn't being manipulated at the same intensity and your are at least able to see the facts, despite the trees.

Read a good newspaper and think about what you read. Then take a walk, read a book, have sex whatever with the time that you spend glued to the "Breaking News" bullshit

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2024 1:43 PM

R15, I've been watching lots of Youtube videos and reading about Stoicism. It has really helped.

I fucking hate politics, politicians and people who make this shit a major focus of their life. I've posted on several political threads. I usually put in my 2 cents in one post then not engage again. I took Twitter off my phone which helped with my mental health and stress enormously. I have not been a bigger reader of the A section of the NYTs for about two decades when I realized what a propaganda machine it is. I'll scan the headlines and will read a article if the headline seems contrary to the party line.

The media, academics and politicians really want to make ideology, politics, and the news a 24/7 part of our lives, and they have been largely successful. They always have but it has gotten much worse in the past 10 years. I try not to play their game.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2024 1:43 PM

FLUSH: NY Times, Wash Post, WSJ, CNN, NBC, CBS, MSNBC (except for Lawrence & Katie Phang) & Fox UNFOLLOW: Pundits, pollsters, celebrities, some legal analysts, certain Democratic politicians

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2024 1:51 PM

I barely glance at the occasional headline. "In depth" reporting, talking heads....no. No way. It helps.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2024 1:56 PM

I am, too. I used to read NYT and the articles posted by The Atlantic and The NewYorker religiously but pretty much stopped reading their political coverage a few months ago. They are very much responsible for the current climate by not reporting on the actual facts but discussing the "vibes", "perceptions", etc. Basically, it's that mythical diner in Ohio where they NYT used to go for their "Cletus safaris" but amplified 1,000x on the national scale. To be honest, The NewYorker has been the least guilty of the three since they haven't been bothsiderizing much and the emphasis is still on the perils of Trump's potential win but it's just exhausting (the other two, NYT and The Atlantic, are too far gone in fiddling while Rome burns.) What infuriates me even more is that, should Trump win (God forbid), I know exactly what they will be publishing. I know that the actual printed media are suffering and clickbait is the only way they can attract more subscriptions but, at some point, you have to think that social responsibility and journalistic credibility appears somewhere on the radar.

I haven't followed news on TV and social media in a long time, since it's been like wading into a toxic sewer for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2024 1:59 PM

I should've added: I still read a lot of non-political content in the said publications and there have been so many good books published in the past 4-5 years that passed me by for some reason that catching up with them now instead of getting myself mad and worried feels very rewarding.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2024 2:07 PM

I agree r23. I love some of The Atlantic's longform pieces on non-political topics.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2024 2:13 PM

I noticed years ago when the EYEWITNESS NEWS phenomena started that I was getting suckered into the, "if it bleeds, it leads" and "doom and gloom but wait, we'll end the broadcast on a happy note and you'll know we are always here for you" bullshit. What they were showing every evening was not my reality but it was certainly poisoning my sense of my reality. When I realized that, I would sometimes watchly only to analyze the manipulation.

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2024 2:14 PM

Great read for anyone trying to figure this out right now. It was written in the mid-80's, but was totally prescient and has stood the test of time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2024 2:20 PM

I've decided not to watch anything but Big Brother. By the time that ends, it will be close to election day, so I will come out of BB House with the winner!

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2024 2:34 PM

After the 2016 election, Hubby and I turned off cable news and exclusively read the NYT and WaPo, our local paper's website, and many publications mentioned here. It was the only way to stay sane after watching Trump cheat with the Russians, FBI, and Maureen Dowd attacking Hillary every day for over a year. I thought she was an aberration at the Times and she did cool it for a while, but she and now her colleagues are hell-bent on destroying our only party interested in actual governing.

So it was deja Vu when the SCOTUS handed Trump complete immunity for his crimes. I had to turn off cable. The Times has turned to a politics section that is not even worthy of lining a birdcage. If they didn't have the preeminent cooking section and Wordle, I'd cancel my subscription today. But due to the way they they screw long time readers with exorbitant rates, my cheap subscription runs out in a few months and I think I'll detox, let it lapse completely and just view articles of note on one of the archive sites. It's pretty rare they write anything worth going to the effort of looking elsewhere to read it regardless, so I'm kind of going through a period of mourning as I disengage from the Old Gray Lady.

On the plus side, I've discovered that most of what I want to watch on cable is now consolidated into one streaming subscription with HBO Max which I subscribed to catch up on The Gilded Age and watch Barbie with my niece and her husband when they came for a visit last month. My cable is included with my HOA which I've considered a real plus until now. It won't make any difference if I cancel my cable; I'll still be paying for it so I might as well keep it. However, I also pay for three DVRs plus DVR service — billed separately so that Comcast can still screw you — and I'm going to return two of the DVRs and see if the remaining one can be substituted for the one connection device we get under our group contract. If I still have to pay for DVR service, I'm thinking of getting rid of the DVRs entirely and just go back to a basic cable box. But if I can reduce my portion to zero, it'll be enough to pay for Max, Paramount+ and Peacock so I can stream MSNBC and NBC when there's something so major I have to watch talking heads, and still save about $20 a month. I hate Spectrum.

What I can't believe is the boost in mental health that turning cable news off wrought despite feeling the same way post election night 2016. I hate that disengagement is the only way to survive our current political climate, but it's tough watching everything that I've worked for (politically) being ripped away because the angry old straight white Christian men have to have their way and are willing to burn the country down if they don't get it. They aren't going to like it any better than where we are now, but there's no point in telling them.

In America, we eventually do the right thing... after trying everything else first. This will be no different. I just hope I'm alive to see the renaissance of democracy and freedom.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2024 3:26 PM

[quote] My cable is included with my HOA which I've considered a real plus until now... However, I also pay for three DVRs plus DVR service — billed separately so that Comcast can still screw you...

R28 I used to have Comcast, but moved to a new community which has cable and internet included in my HOA. My new company, OpticalTel, gives us one free box per household. Also, we have unlimited storage because the storage is in the cloud, somewhere. We also have a Roku for Netflix and a few others. It is so much cheaper without Comcast, but I must admit after five years I still used my Comcast internet address. For some reason, it's free as long as I keep using it whether I am a Comcast patron or not.

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2024 3:37 PM

I have completely tuned out as best I can. I am not a heavy media user anyway.

No cable, no cell phone, rarely listen to radio, digital only newspaper, no social media AT ALL.

I know which party I will vote for in November, so all the hoopla and noise is just that till Election Day.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2024 3:43 PM

I decided yesterday to not even read the political threads on The DL anymore. I will, of course, not even post replies. Maybe they'll die a slow death and we can get back to focusing on the more important things in life, like the Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2024 4:37 PM

Everyone has plan until they get punched in the face, like Biden withdrawing from the race.

...heading to X (formerly known as Twitter) as I type

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2024 6:45 PM

Absolutely because now all we are going to hear about is all the dirt on the person that is running. Half MAY be the truth, the rest of it lies.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2024 7:36 PM

I pretty much avoid NYT and Wapo.

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2024 7:39 PM

I've stopped doom-scrolling before bed and replaced it with reading a book. Much more enjoyable way to end a day.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2024 10:08 PM

YES!

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2024 9:30 AM

Always.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2024 9:34 AM

Yes. I'm also ceasing contact with certain family members too - those who like to talk politics. Got invited to an event in August by one that I responded to tentatively. I will of course decline closer to the date. This will continue for the foreseeable future.

That's what happens.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2024 10:40 AM

I'm also blocking all political threads here.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2024 10:41 AM

I listen to MSNBC, David Pakman and Jesse Dollemore. MeidasTouch and Brian Tyler Cohen in limited amounts.

My respect for Cenk Ugyur has evaporated over time. And yesterday he was insufferable with his smug, self-centered musings on Biden’s withdrawal from the presidential race. He and Ana both get on my nerves. Yesterday he made Biden’s withdrawal all about himself and his aborted campaign for president.

I can tolerate Jon Iadarola but only because he is hawt. But kill the multicolored hair Jon. He’s much more rational than Cenk or Ana

Same with Kyle Kulinski, whose teeth look like crap because of his vaping. He thinks Marianne Williamson should be president 😒🙄😒🙄. His wife and fellow vlogger Krystal Ball is way smarter than him.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2024 12:16 PM

R40 TL;DR

No.

😒🙄😒🙄

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2024 12:22 PM

Yes, no need to go back to corporate media. There’s a planned blackout this week for the next 2 weeks. Turn it off, cancel, unsubscribe. Through the 4th of August.

Support independent media. The Daily Beans, Meidas Touch, Taking Feds.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2024 12:32 PM

I found the NY Times balanced this morning, basically saying Harris has the possibility of pulling it off, with just the right strategy. For those worried about the youth vote, she's tuned into pop culture as opposed to the 78 year old, and his priggish running mate.

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2024 12:40 PM

NY Times will have to work harder in order to make me interested again in what they have to say.

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2024 1:26 PM

[quote]The Daily Beans

The Daily Beans sounds like the name of a coffee shop on a Portlandia sketch.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2024 1:32 PM

I’m actually tentatively stepping back in. The Harris nomination has been received much better than I thought it would. It puts Trump in a bad spot, now he’s the old, senile one.

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2024 5:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!