Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Clark Gable vs Errol Flynn

Which one of them was a bigger star or greater actor in their time. What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2024 2:51 PM

Gable was King.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2024 10:43 AM

No need to compare them. Some people like a fine French restaurant and some like McDonald’s. There is no need to judge.

Although one of them did have a civilian boy captured by the VC and executed. That should earn a point or two.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2024 11:22 AM

dick pics?

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2024 11:25 AM

Gable was a bigger name and had a longer career as a leading man. He also had the support of the biggest studio. Flynn was under-rated as an actor but squandered his gifts, nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2024 11:27 AM

You don’t want pictures of Errol’s dick. It was covered by warts and scabs 😬😒🤮

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2024 11:31 AM

R5 I thought he was straight.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2024 11:34 AM

Errol Flynn has looks, charisma, and an alcohol problem for the ages. He was a mere commodity in the studio era.

Gable was a star. He had the charisma, the looks, a far more interesting backstory, the achievements both in acting and military service, and an ethos.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2024 12:07 PM

The best Flynn movie was My Favorite Year. Although Flynn was not actually played by Flynn. They found a much better actor. And one still alive.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2024 12:10 PM

I think Flynn did a great job in "The Sun Also Rises" though, casually outperformed both Ty Power and Ava Gardner. There was also a rumor that he was supposed to get an Academy Award nomination for that, but eventually that nomination "disappeared". I think he would've become a splendid character actor if he had lived a bit longer.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2024 12:33 PM

Gable was hyper masculine x 10, in a good way, if you like that sort of thing. Flynn? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2024 12:41 PM

While I’m at it, I must say Tyrone Power was one of the worst movie actors I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2024 12:43 PM

Gable was certainly the longer lasting, more accomplished and bigger star. As said, there is no need to compare as Flynn had his great moments in his productive period. He is immortal if only for Robin Hood.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2024 12:44 PM

[R11] Yeah, you’re pretty much right. Tyrone Power & Robert Taylor were most probably the least impressive stars in that era if we’re talking about acting skills. George Raft as well.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2024 1:02 PM

I understand Gable’s appeal to audiences of that era. He played some very sympathetic parts and he photographed well. There is a hammy, blustery quality to the way he delivered lines that can take you out of the story, but he’s definitely worth watching.

He did elicit charm from female leads like Claudette Colbert. She was pretty odd-looking (sort of a hunchbacked kewpie doll) but managed to snare these sexy roles. I guess that quality of charisma read on camera.

Gable tested for the role of Superman but couldn’t physically pull that off.

Crawford and Gable had chemistry and it translated to screens for a while. Dancing Lady is an interesting old film, for the chemistry of Crawford with Franchot Tone and Clark Gable. That old film moves along quickly and is a lot of fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2024 1:22 PM

R13 shut your fucking mouth about the great George Raft. He was a friend and a legend.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2024 1:27 PM

Plus wasn't Clark Gable very nice and charming? Errol was allegedly an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2024 1:29 PM

R15 I just think that George Raft should have been a supporting player rather than leading man. He was quite okay in that kind of roles ("Scarface", "Some Like It Hot"), otherwise not so much.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2024 1:31 PM

Flynn was a drug addict, that didn’t help R16. Gable, though a Republican, was good friends with GWTW co-star Hattie McDaniel and threatened to boycott the film’s premiere in Atlanta because she wasn’t invited. They socialize off-screen too.

George Raft was damned fugly.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2024 2:21 PM

Someone should ask Helen Lawson which one of them was the better lay.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2024 2:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!