Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Twisters”- I just finished watching it, and it was honestly a lot of FUN!

I thought the movie would be terrible junk but it wasn’t. It was a fun popcorn blockbuster just like the 1996 film, only I found this one more enjoyable overall outside of the final twister. I like how this film is still set in Oklahoma and now they have to track tornados even harder because all that empty land that used to be Oklahoma (like we saw in the 1996 film) is now filled with apartment buildings and businesses etc. as new buildings keep getting built all over, so now that more people live in those areas it’s important to keep up with tornadoes harder.

Daisy Edgar-Jones was phenomenal. She is the true lead of the film! She is literally the first thing we see when the movie starts and the story focuses on her. Glen Powell is getting the heavy push but he has the least screentime out of the trio (Daisy Edgar-Jones, Glen Powell and Anthony Ramos). The film focuses on Kate, and follows Kate. Whenever we see Tyler, Kate is there. It isn’t his film. He is also probably the weakest link of the three, but what he has over the other two is he’s a good looking white man with abs.

The film is fun though and worth the watch.

It’s a standalone sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 13, 2024 9:47 PM

Unlike the first movie, it had an absurd premise. Magical moisture-absorbing polymers my ass.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2024 4:11 AM

OP works in the publicity department.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2024 4:39 AM

R2 is thinking what I am thinking.

Hate to disagree with OP, but I thought Daisy Edgar-Jones was ghastly in this film, miscast and out of place. She's a void where charisma goes to die.

As for the overall film... MEH. It lacks (and needs, desperately) the humor and charm of the original. It's dumb without being sufficiently fun. Even the love triangle that is sorta there isn't properly developed.

Finally, there's talk about how there are more tornados than ever popping up, but because the powers-that-be want this film to have appeal in red states, never -- NOT ONCE -- is climate change and its attendant warmer temperatures mentioned. What a stupid, lost opportunity.

There are far better films to see right now than this one. Do yourself a favor and skip TWISTERS on the big screen and wait till it hits Netflix or wherever.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2024 4:44 AM

I think OP is just Davida Rochelle demanding everyone know what she thought of whatever film was just released.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2024 4:47 AM

I liked it too, OP, but I'm guessing you're unfamiliar with Oklahoma if you think it's lacking in farmland. The vast majority of the state is either farms, federally owned land, or Native American reservations. I'd DEFINITELY see it on the big screen, and preferably in IMAX (though it admittedly wasn't filmed using it).

Btw thanks R3 for proving the OP's point: DL queens will shit on literally almost anything, particularly if it's a female-lead movie.

[quote][N]ever -- NOT ONCE -- is climate change and its attendant warmer temperatures mentioned.

False. Kate discussed it with her mother. AIt's a popcorn flick, not a documentary FFS!

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2024 4:50 AM

R2-r4 all the same poster.

No. I just watched a film and enjoyed it for what it is, a “brain dead” popcorn flick. It’s not there to be scientifically accurate or a documentary, it is fiction. So was the original. I mean the Paxton and Hung were literally hit by the tornado and in the center of it but were able to stay in place because they tied themselves to a pipe. In reality they would be dead the minute the tornado got too close to them, yet alone hitting them.

Daisy was amazing. And always is. The only issue with her is she is very British, even in the way she carries herself. She isn’t a believable Oklahoma native. She was believable as someone from NYC though, so if they made Kate a NY girl who moved to Oklahoma that would have rang truer than her being a girl who is from Oklahoma but moved to NYC after college. They at least acknowledged she didn’t feel like an Oklahoma girl in the dialogue, with Tyler always referring to her as a Big City girl until she finally corrects him, that she’s actually a small town girl who moved to a big city, she’s not actually from a big city.

Glen doesn’t show up for 15-20 minutes into the movie and is Missing from many scenes throughout. Feels like he’s supposed to be a supporting character but then after Anyone But You became a surprise sleeper hit Hollywood decided to push him as one of the new leading men and added a few more scenes with him in a them. They did do some reshoots so I wonder if it was to give him a bit more screentime (same thing Tarantino did with Robbie in OUATIH).

Anthony Ramos was great. My issue is he’s very much a Latino from NY (he has a NY accent even) so it’s distracting to think he’s from Oklahoma. Same issue as Daisy almost.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2024 4:59 AM

The Paxton and Hunt* characters

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2024 5:00 AM

R5 oh, I’m aware that there is a ton of farmland in Oklahoma. I didn’t claim it no longer exists. We need farmland, btw.

But there are parts of Oklahoma that were empty fields 20 years ago and now have been built into small towns and small cities.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2024 5:05 AM

R5,

Not really. They talk about the growing frequency and intensity of tornados, but they don't really get into WHY that is happening. It just IS happening.

And no, I wasn't expecting a documentary, but come on, the whole fucking film is about TORNADOS, so you can drop in a bit more about why things are getting worse. If you can't say the words "CLIMATE CHANGE" here, when?

But yes, I will shit on this movie because it is, in fact, SHITTY. I wasn't mad to be there, but I was bored silly by the many, many bad decisions the filmmakers took at various points. And to say I disliked this friendly dud of a film because it was female-lead is patently absurd. In the past month alone I've enjoyed (to varying degrees) THELMA, DADDIO, THE BIKERIDERS, MAXXXINE, and A QUIET PLACE: DAY ONE, all of which have female leads.

Finally, I'm not the only one underwhelmed by Edgar-Jones. To quote the NYTimes: "Next to Powell, Edgar-Jones seems profoundly lackluster, all eyes and no personality."

This movie has made me want to finally watch NORMAL PEOPLE, because I heard DEJ is fantastic in that.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2024 5:06 AM

OP = Daisy

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2024 5:09 AM

I liked it too, OP. As stated, it’s a popcorn flick, nothing to be taken seriously. Someone on here seems to have wanted a documentary.

I like DEJ and find her lovely, and while I feel she did a good job, she just isn’t believable as a small town Oklahoma girl. Daisy Edgar-Jones isn’t only very British, she is very posh. She comes from a rich family. Her father is the creator of the reality tv show Big Brother, and gets paid for all the other countries versions that are stemmed from the original.

Glen Powell was fine but like you said, his role felt forced in at times. DEJ and Anthony Ramos has the bigger roles.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2024 5:11 AM

[quote] Glen Powell was fine

He is fine as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2024 5:13 AM

R10 you’ve claimed to see Normal People but don’t know who she is? You have an old thread on the 2022 movie FRESH with Sebastian Stan but don’t know who she is? You were all over the thread for “Under the Banner of Heaven” starring Andrew Garfield but don’t know who she is?

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2024 5:13 AM

Idk how much personality Daisy could possibly add to Kate with how Kate was written. She showed personality in the opening scene but after that she is depressed and quiet the rest of the movie.

Tyler is a social media influencer storm chaser. Of course he has personality. He also hasn’t lost anyone to the storms, unlike her.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2024 5:19 AM

Somebody upthread said to see this on streaming, but I disagree. Seeing it in a Dolby theater with a great rumbling sound system is what made it fun.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2024 8:41 AM

[quote]Magical moisture-absorbing polymers my ass

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2024 9:01 AM

Except for the fifteen minutes or so of Maura Tierney, it was dull.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2024 12:05 PM

Take a drink every time someone yells “KATE!” and you’ll be wasted by the end.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2024 12:08 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2024 12:35 PM

Wrong thread ^^ Sorry

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2024 12:35 PM

R13 is the Matt Bomer/David Corenswet/Emily Blunt Troll, off his meds, morbidly obese and desperate for anyone to interact with him.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2024 3:54 PM

See this on streaming? No. This is worth seeing in theaters.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2024 4:36 PM

R21 you’re literally the only person to bring up Corenswet on here and the other threads too. No one cares. His role is small. He isn’t important.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2024 4:38 PM

It was great fun, OP.

We saw it last night and enjoyed it.

What happened to summer time popcorn flicks?

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2024 5:18 PM

R24 they were overtaken by superhero movies, but now that those are finally dying they’re coming back

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2024 5:37 PM

It was too hot here yesterday to do anything outside, so I saw it yesterday with a big group of friends. It sure wasn’t art, but it was a fun summer flick.

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2024 7:04 PM

I saw it yesterday and found it very underwhelming and forgettable. Daisy is just kind of there. She's not exactly miscast, but she doesn't make much of an impression. Glen plays the same character he always does.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2024 9:42 PM

I loved it too, Op! I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed the whole thing with my Slurpee and bucket of popcorn!

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2024 9:52 PM

You “just finished watching it”? At the movie theater? Odd turn of phrase.

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2024 9:57 PM

Well what else are you supposed to do besides watching it?

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2024 10:02 PM

R24 your pronoun is we? Are you morbidly obese?

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2024 10:10 PM

Is Jami Gertz in this? I’ll see it if it follows up on the story of her character from the 1996 original and if this film is dedicated to Philip Seymour Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2024 10:23 PM

[quote]I saw it yesterday and found it very underwhelming and forgettable. Daisy is just kind of there. She's not exactly miscast, but she doesn't make much of an impression. Glen plays the same character he always does.

Make of this what you will, but that's what the NYT said too; they called her out multiple times in the review as being a total dud. I think her bland opaqueness worked as the weird, inscrutable Marianne in Normal People, but being a living breathing human...not so much. Everyone makes fun of Florence Pugh for her name & having no neck, but at least she's a firecracker of a person

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2024 12:27 AM

R27 how many times are you gonna comment? And how did you watch it yesterday? You didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2024 12:30 AM

[quote] They talk about the growing frequency and intensity of tornados, but they don't really get into WHY that is happening. It just IS happening.

They don't want to upset the MAGA/Republican crowd that believes climate change is a hoax by George Soros and liberals to get everyone to buy electric vehicles. And let's face it, that's probably 70% of this film's audience.

And yes, I just made this another Trump thread so kindly fuck off with your comments.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2024 12:33 AM

R33 cute you keep referring to NYT as if it’s the only review out there. Many liked her. Some didn’t. Same with Powell. He isn’t getting universal praise. That’s life. Strange thing to keep mentioning.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2024 12:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2024 12:39 AM

This right here. It’s great at doing what it’s meant to do, which is entertain. It’s a popcorn flick. I call these “brain dead” popcorn flicks, films just meant to entertain where you don’t have to think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2024 12:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2024 12:44 AM

And an appearance by Sally Draper!

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2024 1:15 AM

[quote]Daisy was amazing. And always is. The only issue with her is she is very British, even in the way she carries herself. She isn’t a believable Oklahoma native.

Yes and no. I know this is mixing in reality with fiction, but regional accents have largely evaporated for Gen Z and even most millennials. I'm from Texas originally, and have a bunch of family in Oklahoma, and it's always a bit of a surprise to head home for Christmas and see my teenage nephews & nieces speaking with an accent that could've come straight from the Valley. (As in the San Fernando one.) Both Glen & McConaughey are native Texans, but McBongo's the one with the strong twang – a direct result of their 20-year age difference.

[quote]Glen plays the same character he always does.

I can only assume you haven't seen "Hit Man" if you're assuming anything of the sort. He plays a nerd who morphs into a variety of disguises straight out of SNL while meeting with potential clients.

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2024 9:50 PM

I'm sure this'll irk our resident haters, but "Twisters" isn't merely a hit. It's one of the biggest SURPRISE hits in modern cinematic history! Studio tracking, which is usually reasonably accurate, had it coming in at a $50M opening weekend gross. Instead, it made $81.2M: that's SIXTY PERCENT higher than expected!

[quote]They don't want to upset the MAGA/Republican crowd that believes climate change is a hoax by George Soros and liberals to get everyone to buy electric vehicles. And let's face it, that's probably 70% of this film's audience.

Not quite. While the movie admittedly proved popular in the region surrounding OKC (no surprise there), it was a "four-quad" success: almost half of its audience was non-white, and a full 26% of viewers were Hispanic. Also drew in slightly older Gen X/millennial viewers who saw the original in the theater, but performed just as well with the 18-25 set. (This is all in the Deadline article below.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2024 9:56 PM

R42: The pundits really underestimated the impact the original film had on millennials. I knew that early tracking ($40-50 million) was ridiculously low. People really are looking for light hearted escapism and dare I say non-preachy films. How well it does in foreign markets as well as next week with D&W in the mix will be key. I don’t think it will make Barbie money but it’s not a flop at all.

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2024 10:12 PM

It's by no means a perfect film and I wouldn't necessarily watch it again. However, if you're looking for fun escapism or need to kill two hours, it's worth a watch.

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2024 10:16 PM

Looking at the three leads, I was shocked that Powell had the least screentime. He arguably had the least to do even though his character is pretty one-note. Daisy Edgar Jones was kind of flat and it was hysterical watching her accent go in and out. Her chemistry with Powell is non-existent. Anthony Ramos was definitely the weakest link and for the life of me don't get why he keeps getting roles.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2024 10:27 PM

[quote] even though his character is pretty one-note.

Much like his portrayer.

[quote] was kind of flat

Much like Powell’s ass.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2024 10:33 PM

R41 it has to do with regions within a state. Some parts of Texas still do have accents, including the young people.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2024 10:40 PM

Not all of Texas has the same accent.

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2024 10:41 PM

R42 no one is surprised it’s a hit dumbass. It was expected to do well. It just did even better.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2024 10:41 PM

True, R48, but native Texans – assuming they have an accent at all – generally have some degree of Texas-specific twang to it. East Texas twangs are definitely Cajun-influenced, and unless the term's been "cancelled" there (which is doubtful), East Texas natives – including McBongo – identify as "coon-ass." I still remember McBongo having to explain the term after he said it during an interview on one of the late night shows, namely that in a Texas context it's not a racial slur. (Not that East Texas isn't racist as fuck, but they have no problems busting out the N-word in casual conversation.)

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2024 11:40 PM

R41 you’re limiting it to accents. Her being very British has nothing to do with an accent.

by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2024 4:01 AM

R45, I could understand why Anthony Ramos was cast when everyone in Hamilton got a shot at stardom, but it’s been almost a decade since then, and in his most successful role he was the fifth most interesting character in A Star is Born, and that story historically strains to have a third interesting character.

And since bitchery is our stock in trade, some people can get away with freckles, and some people can get away with receding hairlines. No one can get away with both.

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2024 4:11 AM

Neither is a choice r52

by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2024 4:13 AM

R53, I think you missed my point about bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2024 4:20 AM

Wow. This should’ve been called TOTALLY SUPER DUMB.

I can’t believe Sally Draper got eaten by a twister.

by Anonymousreply 55August 13, 2024 9:26 PM

This is so embarrassing, I feel sorry for the actors.

by Anonymousreply 56August 13, 2024 9:35 PM

Glen Powell trying so hard to be Tom Cruise…. /smh

by Anonymousreply 57August 13, 2024 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!