Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m watching Hillbilly Elegy right now

It’s actually good.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2024 4:22 AM

How embarrassed do you suppose Opie is about directing this stinkburger? You just know he had no idea who JD Vance was at the time, nor that the guy would wind up being Trump's running mate.

Do you think anyone in Hollywood blames Richie Cunningham even a little?

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2024 9:41 PM

"Hillbilly Elegy" was nominated for 2 Oscars:

- Best Supporting Actress for Glenn Close (lost to Yuh-jung Youn in "Minari")

- Best Makeup & Hairstyling (lost to "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom")

Close and Amy Adams were also nominated for SAG for their performances.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2024 9:54 PM

Does he fuck the glove?

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2024 9:56 PM

R1 lol. It’s a good film with some solid acting. Glen hasn’t come on yet but Amy and the kid JD is spectacular. Did you actually watch the film? Or are just repeating talking points because it’s about hillbillies. Didn’t G get nominated for an Oscar for this film. I will say after the childhood he encountered it seems like he would be liberal. But then again at the dinner table with elites, a highly educated intellectual called him a redneck. It’s not the same but it’s like calling someone from that background a nigga. Like how out of touch can u be lol.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2024 9:58 PM

Teacunt

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2024 10:02 PM

Hi J.D.! Welcome to Datalounge! Does this mean you're finally accepting your true self and coming out?

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2024 10:04 PM

I’ve had a Hillbilly Allergy ever since they stopped having a sense of humor about themselves and started making drug addiction and environmental mayhem their crusade. They’re a lawless, inbred, racist, willfully stupid menace. No longer our lovable Snuffy Smith or resourceful Li’l Abner. They’ve been poisoned and manipulated by big thinkers that the Clampett’s would have seen through in twenty minutes.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2024 10:25 PM

[quote]I will say after the childhood he encountered

Exactly how does one "encounter" a childhood, r4?

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2024 10:31 PM

[quote]Best Supporting Actress for Glenn Close (lost to Yuh-jung Youn in "Minari")

And Hollywood hasn't been the same since Yuh-jung Youn's took off with that Oscar win. By golly, you can't escape all the Yuh-jung Youn coverage in the media !

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2024 10:33 PM

R7 👏

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2024 10:35 PM

OP = Usha’s PA

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2024 10:43 PM

I really don’t get why this film was trashed by critics. It’s very good, if uneven, drama. G even got a Razzie nomination. Richard Roeper got it right though; he gave it 4 stars.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2024 2:22 AM

I too watched it the other day for the first time, I came away from it feeling like it was wildly exaggerated for effect and that Vance was somewhat of a drama queen.

Reminded me of a similar film I also disliked (but watched), August, Osage County.

Winter's Bone was OK, but not great.

What's with all the white trash movies?

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2024 2:49 AM

R13 All I know is it was obvious he would be a right wing cunt no matter how intelligent. When his mama asked him to piss and his stanking ass wouldn’t do it. Its your mom putting food on the table, cunt. How can you not get it at 12. The personality of the character was very self righteous to me but there are people like that. This was a good film.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2024 2:53 AM

Freida Pinto, the Indian actress who plays Usha, married a photographer with truly fabulous hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2024 2:56 AM

Does JD make sacrifices to Hanuman?

Is that where he got the kohl for his piggy eyes.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2024 2:58 AM

JD grew up fairly wealthy. It’s all a lie.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2024 3:05 AM

R17 So I googled and you are lying.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2024 3:07 AM

R18 nope

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2024 3:44 AM

JD voted for Obama twice, voted for Hillary, called DT America’s Hitler, then Peter Theil threw lots of $ at him and suddenly he’s full on far right nut job. Hmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2024 3:46 AM

R20 So lame then. I hate people who don’t have principles. I would never sell out for money. Well maybe to Hollywood but not megalomaniacs like Theil. R19 any sources or you know the family? I would really love for it to be made all made up so the Dems can use it against them.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2024 4:09 AM

Does it show JD blowing Peter Thiel for donations?

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2024 4:19 AM

R21 This is from Reddit, but it’s easily provable. Much behind paywalled articles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2024 4:21 AM

My condolences, OP.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2024 4:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!