Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tiaras and Scandals: The 'Dancing Marquess' of Anglesey

Who once owned 90 poodles that he dressed in silken waistcoats. I stumbled across this fellow after listening to a podcast called The The Rabbit Hole Detectives, featuring co-host Charles Spencer, brother of Princess Diana. The podcast goes down a rabbit hole as the hosts delve into the history of interesting objects and people.

Henry Paget, 5th Marquess of Anglesey, also known as Toppy, inherited a huge fortune at age 23 in 1898. He squandered the fortune jewels, furs, and eccentric, fabulous living. He was married at an early age to a cousin and had her sleep nude draped in jewels in a short-lived union that was never consummated and soon annulled. After a life of mind-boggling excess he died bankrupt in Monet Carlo.

I hope you enjoy a trip down this rabbit hole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2024 11:28 PM

The Down the Rabbit Hole podcast, filled with many interesting topics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2024 5:50 PM

An old, closed thread about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2024 5:51 PM

I figured a thread might be about him before. Didn't know when. It's a fascinating topic.

This link details the sales of goods at his castle in Wales after he went bankrupt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2024 5:55 PM

He converted a chapel at the castle into a theater. From Wikipedia,

"Upon the death of his father on 13 October 1898, he inherited his title and the family estates with about 30,000 acres in Staffordshire, Dorset, Anglesey, and Derbyshire, providing an annual income of £110,000 (equivalent to £15 million per year in 2023). . . .

He renamed the family's country seat Plas Newydd as "Anglesey Castle" and converted the chapel there into a 150-seat theatre, named the Gaiety Theatre. Here he took the lead role, opulently costumed, in productions ranging from pantomime and comedy to performances of Oscar Wilde's An Ideal Husband and Shakespeare's Henry V. Early performances from around 1899 were mostly variety performances of song and dance numbers, sketches and tableaux vivants in front of an invited audience of notable local people. In 1901, the Gaiety Theatre was refurbished and fitted out with electric stage lighting and re-opened as a public entertainment venue."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2024 7:42 PM

A film called Madfabulous about Henry Paget's life is currently in pre-production. I'm looking forward to its release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2024 8:16 PM

R2, your link isn't about Henry Paget but about gay icons in general. There is only one reference to him and it includes a link to an article. The article is interesting, however, so I'm reposting the link.

For someone who lived only to age 29 Paget had a big impact in his day. Sadly, his ruin was his own doing. He was born over 20 years after Oscar Wilde buy they died within just a few years from each other.

Poor Oscar, I still enjoy his writing. It feels like the arts are suffering in this era. Too much stress, financial pressure, and not enough jewels and color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2024 11:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!