Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Friends of Mr. Cairo" (1981: Jon and Vangelis)

This album was released in July, 1981. It sold poorly, but was re-released six months later with the addition of the single "Find My Way Home" as the opening track on the album. According to Jon Anderson, the track was added because it was a huge hit across Europe at the time, when it was released as the third single . The single peaked at # 51 on the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles.

The first single was the title track, which did well in Canada (#1 for five weeks), but nowhere else around the globe. The second single was the track "State of Independence" was released in July, 1981. It also failed to chart or sell the album. Later, it was recorded and released by Donna Summer in 1982, off her second Geffen album, 'Donna Summer' (July, 1982). It nicked the Top 40 when it peaked at #41.

When the album was re-released in January, 1982 with the success of the third single, the album became a hit in many countries. In the US, it peaked at #64 on the Billboard Hot 200.

I bought this CD a few years ago and loved it. I brought it out again a few weeks ago, and still enjoy it. Anyone else familiar with it ? (It has seven tracks, a rather short album).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2024 5:27 PM

Thanks for the thread - a very deep dive!

I was 14 when this album came out and was a big fan of both Jon Anderson & (especially) Vangelis, separately, and of their first three collaborative Jon & Vangelis albums too. Their first (and best) album, 'Short Stories' was a huge success here in the UK, peaking at #4 on the charts with the top 10 single 'I Hear You Now', which still sounds incredible, to my ears.

This second album didn't have quite the same commercial impact, although it still went Top 10 here and I do remember the title-track first single picking up some daytime radio play upon release too. 'State of Independence' was always the obvious standout track, though, and should have been the lead single to launch the album. The Quincy Jones produced Donna Summer cover version peaked at #13 here and is still played regularly on the radio. It's a near-identical copy of the Jon & Vangelis version, so Polydor missed a trick in not pushing the song as a single in the first place!

'Find My Way Home' was a big stand-alone hit single here, but the album had already been and gone by then. It's strange that the track wasn't on the album in the first place as it was supposedly recorded as part of the same sessions.

My version has the original art-deco-inspired white cover which seemed quite cool back in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2024 5:21 PM

My friend and I used have sex while Vangelis' "Heaven and Hell" played on my stereo when we were in college.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2024 5:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!