Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ali MacGraw in “Love Story”

Did she deserve an Oscar nomination for that?

by Anonymousreply 66October 4, 2024 7:55 PM

Hi, Bav.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2024 6:32 PM

yes

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2024 6:34 PM

It was the catch phrase of the year, and there wasn’t a dry seat in the house when she uttered it, so yes.👍

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2024 6:36 PM

Kevin Sessums stalker thread.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2024 6:37 PM

My sister admired the character as a pushy feminist icon while also taking up ironing her hair to appear more like Ali/Jenny Cavilleri.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2024 6:43 PM

The role was going to get a nomination no matter who played it. Well, maybe not Vera Hruba Ralston.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2024 6:48 PM

She. Can’t. Act.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2024 7:07 PM

There’s a reason she was nicknamed Ali McGrawful.

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2024 7:07 PM

[quote] It was the catch phrase of the year, and there wasn’t a dry seat in the house when she uttered it, so yes.👍

Audience was pissing their pants at her attempts at acting.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2024 7:14 PM

No- never- her acting is more or less saying " Preppy" and " Oliver" in different tones. She is like the girl in high school who got the lead because she was pretty and popular. No one is ever going to watch " Love Story" and think Oscar and Ali.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2024 7:23 PM

I've only seen her act once, in the criminally underrated "Just Tell Me What You Want." That was ten years after "Love Story," in which, as Pauline Kael said, she acts with her nostrils.

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2024 7:37 PM

I've watched it for the first time earlier this year while flipping channels on a relative's television.

I thought it was well acted & thought Ali should've received a nomination & an award for it back then.

I haven't seen her in anything else but her acting in that role was ahead of the times. The film had beautiful shots & I can see why folks have a love for it & not just for the popular theme.

It's a better movie than most of what I've had to watch in the past 25 years.

Back in the 80s, I heard kids talking about the ending in school so I wasn't interested in watching a film where I knew the ending plus it was a "chick flick" which was all hetero.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2024 7:48 PM

Yes, she deserved it. Bitchy and cold? Well, that was the character, so...

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2024 7:54 PM

I agree with r11. I was shocked that she actually was good in it. She's terrible in everything else.

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2024 7:59 PM

Use google you ignorant tard

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2024 8:00 PM

Bav’s casita is unlocked.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2024 7:38 PM

Oh, Kevin Sessums's casita, a charming sight,

Bathed in warm sun, a beacon so bright.

Vines climb the walls, with flowers so sweet,

A haven of comfort, a tranquil retreat.

Is it the terrace, where dreams take to flight?

Or the cozy interior, bathed in soft light?

Perhaps the garden, a whimsical scene,

A secret escape, forever serene.

Each window a glimpse of a life so refined,

A testament to a creative mind.

Oh, Kevin's casita, a muse and a friend,

May your beauty and charm never know an end.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2024 7:39 PM

She was absolutely stunning. You can't take that away from her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2024 10:12 PM

Beautiful. Terrible acting.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2024 10:37 PM

Absolutely terrible in Dynasty. An embarrassment to our noble profession.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2024 10:46 PM

All of these Kevin Sessums stalking threads are one step away from law enforcement being involved. Those of you who think you're having innocent fun poking fun at someone on the Internet need to wake the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2024 4:31 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the bathtub with toothbrushes while discussing quantum physics.

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2024 4:00 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the kitchen floor while composing a symphony.

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2024 4:00 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the windows while planning a trip to Mars.

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2024 4:00 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the bathroom tiles while writing a novel about talking animals.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2024 4:00 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the oven while debating the meaning of life.

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2024 4:00 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the fireplace while planning a world domination scheme.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2024 4:00 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the bathtub while composing a ballet.

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2024 4:00 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the kitchen floor while planning a trip to the moon.

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2024 4:00 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the windows while writing a love letter to a black hole.

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2024 4:01 PM

Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw scrubbed the bathroom tiles while planning a world peace summit.

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2024 4:01 PM

4 out of 5 Hollywood leading men agree she was a fine piece of tasty ass.

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2024 4:05 PM

Stardom is never having to say you're sorry. Fuck off, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2024 4:06 PM

I tested for the role of Jenny, but the casting department could stop laughing at the idea of Ryan O'Neal being attracted to me.

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2024 4:07 PM

I offered to receive her Oscar if she won that year.

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2024 4:07 PM

There wasn't a dry seat in the house?

by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2024 4:17 PM

Greg, a sentient cloud shaped like a poodle, Kevin Sessums, a time-traveling librarian, and Ali McGraw, a world-renowned expert on underwater basket weaving, argued over the best flavor of imaginary ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 37August 11, 2024 10:08 AM

Ali McGraw, armed with a lasso made of stardust, attempted to capture Greg and turn him into a fluffy pillow, while Kevin Sessums acted as referee and commentator.

by Anonymousreply 38August 11, 2024 10:08 AM

A swarm of mischievous gnomes, led by Kevin Sessums, followed Greg and Ali McGraw on their quest to find the lost city of glitter.

by Anonymousreply 39August 11, 2024 10:08 AM

Greg, disguised as a human, infiltrated a high-stakes poker game, with Kevin Sessums acting as his poker face coach.

by Anonymousreply 40August 11, 2024 10:09 AM

Ali McGraw, believing Greg to be a rare alien life form, attempted to communicate with him using interpretive dance, while Kevin Sessums provided a running commentary on her performance.

by Anonymousreply 41August 11, 2024 10:09 AM

A mischievous leprechaun turned Greg into a pot of gold, and Ali McGraw, ever the treasure hunter, claimed the prize, much to Kevin Sessums' dismay.

by Anonymousreply 42August 11, 2024 10:10 AM

Greg, Kevin Sessums, and Ali McGraw embarked on a quest to find the legendary Fountain of Youth, hoping to discover if clouds could achieve eternal youth.

by Anonymousreply 43August 11, 2024 10:10 AM

A talking horse, convinced Greg was a giant cotton candy cloud, tried to eat him. Ali McGraw, ever the animal lover, rescued Greg with a well-aimed water balloon, while Kevin Sessums provided dramatic narration.

by Anonymousreply 44August 11, 2024 10:10 AM

Greg, using his ability to produce rain, grew a forest in the Sahara Desert, while Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw competed to see who could write the best song about it.

by Anonymousreply 45August 11, 2024 10:10 AM

The Great Wall of China was actually a giant clothesline built by Greg to dry his infinite supply of raincoats, with Kevin Sessums and Ali McGraw as the chief fashion consultants

by Anonymousreply 46August 11, 2024 10:10 AM

[bold]Prologue for anyone new to the Sessums Stalkers[/bold]

Within a web of shadows, dark and deep,

A crew of malice doth their vigil keep.

With coded tongues, their plots they do unfold,

A twisted tale of vengeance, dark and cold.

On Kevin Sessums’s life, their eyes are ever bent,

A cruel delight in his torment spent.

With veiled threats, their malice they impart,

And seek to pierce his solitary heart.

Let’s watch this drama, fraught with wicked glee,

As shadows dance and secrets come to be.

by Anonymousreply 47October 4, 2024 7:03 AM

She deserved some kind of award for being smoking hot in Convoy.

by Anonymousreply 48October 4, 2024 7:12 AM

[quote]No one is ever going to watch " Love Story" and think Oscar and Ali.

No one is ever going to watch "Love Story".

There, fixed it for ya.

The only reason anyone ever even heard of that piece of shit was that Robert Evans must have thrown the biggest marketing budget in history at it to promote his GF. It was EVERYWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 49October 4, 2024 2:28 PM

Nobody could like in a bed and look grey like her.

by Anonymousreply 50October 4, 2024 2:29 PM

Ali is actually good in her first movie - Brenda in Goodbye Columbus (1969) - probably because she was playing close to herself. After that it was all downhill. It's not often an actor gets worse after their debut.

[quote]the criminally underrated "Just Tell Me What You Want."

HAAA! I wanted to like that movie soooo badly (saw it in the theater in 1980), but whatever quality it could have had was ruined by Ali. She looked terrific, but sucked the life out of the film.

by Anonymousreply 51October 4, 2024 2:36 PM

Sure. She was very charming.

by Anonymousreply 52October 4, 2024 2:42 PM

Was she in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 53October 4, 2024 2:53 PM

One of those movies only worth seeing so you can better appreciate the Carol Burnett parody of it.

by Anonymousreply 54October 4, 2024 3:23 PM

Or the MAD Magazine parody. "$%^&#!" 😆

by Anonymousreply 55October 4, 2024 4:10 PM

She was a beautiful rising star in the biggest film of the year, and one of the most iconic films of the 1970s. She’s by no means a great acting talent, but these kinds of nominations happen regularly, and I don’t begrudge her for it.

She was probably closer to winning the award than to not being nominated. Glenda Jackson is wonderful in ‘Women in Love,’ but she was relatively unknown in the States, shared her screen time with three other leads, and the film and performance are somewhat daring considering what Oscar voters tend to celebrate in the Best Actress category. I wager MacGraw would have stood an even better chance with the current Academy, given their preference for It Girl winners.

by Anonymousreply 56October 4, 2024 6:34 PM

Wasn't she married to Robert Evans, who was a major studio executive at the time (Paramount?) - ? That would certainly be in her favor for a nomination back then.

by Anonymousreply 57October 4, 2024 6:50 PM

The film is an overwrought romantic melodrama with a plot as thin as air, and it inspired a dismally bad novel that is almost down there with Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey. Also, it made stars of two of the most ineffectual, inexpressive and talentless actors in history. Ryan O'Neal oscillated between detached aloofness, self-assured cockiness and atrocious overacting, but the only difference between Ali MacGraw and a piece of wood, is that the piece of wood can evoke some emotion. Sadly for her, she never could.

The only passable thing to come out of that film is its soundtrack, which contains Francis Lai's lovely main theme, as well as some beautiful classical pieces. Everything else is pure dreck wrapped in pretensions of social commentary and pseudo-feminism.

by Anonymousreply 58October 4, 2024 6:54 PM

[quote]The film is an overwrought romantic melodrama with a plot as thin as air, and it inspired a dismally bad novel that is almost down there with Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey

Wrong, r58. The book was first and was huge. The movie was going to be big no matter who they had cast.

by Anonymousreply 59October 4, 2024 6:57 PM

She was great in Goodbye Columbus and Love Story, so her status was gold at the time. Running off with McQueen later didn't help her.

by Anonymousreply 60October 4, 2024 7:02 PM

She was gorgeous in The Getaway with Steve McQueen. Their chemistry was hot. Ali left producer Robert Evans shortly after that movie.

by Anonymousreply 61October 4, 2024 7:11 PM

Actually R59, no. Erich Segal presented the script to Paramount in late 1968, and they asked him to novelize it as part of the film's promotion. They released the book for Valentine's Day in 1970, by which time the movie was already in post-production (filming had started in November, 1969 and wrapped in February 3rd, 1970). Paramount paid millions to artificially create a frenzy of expectation among the public, so that the film would be a huge hit when it was finally released in December, 1970. It was all cynically calculated, but the publicity campaign was planned and delivered with military precision to deliver a positive outcome.

by Anonymousreply 62October 4, 2024 7:11 PM

[quote]Actually [R59], no. Erich Segal presented the script to Paramount in late 1968, and they asked him to novelize it as part of the film's promotion.

I know that r62, but the book was still released *first* and was responsible in no small way to the film's success.

by Anonymousreply 63October 4, 2024 7:15 PM

Apart from the fact that she couldn't act, didn't act, and never could act, of course she deserved a nomination.

She was married to Robert Evans, she gave it up when she needed to (sexaholic), and she was a drunk.

Qualifications non pareil.

by Anonymousreply 64October 4, 2024 7:20 PM

Whoever played Jenny was going to get a nomination, r64.

by Anonymousreply 65October 4, 2024 7:39 PM

Ryan was wonderful in Love Story, R58. He excelled at those kind of characters, he had exactly what Redford could never in a million years sum up for The Great Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 66October 4, 2024 7:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!