Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bob Newhart is DEAD TO ME!

They’re dropping like flies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 25, 2024 4:35 AM

Huge loss. What a talent and such achievement in his career.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2024 7:56 PM

I was thinking about him just a few days ago. Age 94 is one hell of a long run. His marriage to wife Ginnie last 60 years; she passed away just last year.

RIP Bob, thanks for all the laughs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2024 7:58 PM

I agree, R1.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2024 7:58 PM

We know

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2024 7:59 PM

Fuck, all these people I like are checking out. Why can't some MAGAts drop dead?

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2024 8:00 PM

Love him so much! Just a genius, I still watch his original show whenever I get the chance. His timing and delivery are impeccable. Rest in Peace, you wonderful, funny, man.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2024 8:03 PM

And why isn’t the original - and the best - “The Bob Newhart Show” available to stream anywhere without purchasing individual episodes?

Such an amazing show and one of the best apartments in TV history.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2024 8:06 PM

He was great--no one could do dry delivery the way he could.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2024 8:12 PM

Read his autobiography, it's great. I just love him so

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2024 8:18 PM

He was never funny. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2024 8:32 PM

This is sad. My college roommate and I watched The Bob Newhart Show almost every night on Nick at Nite.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2024 8:42 PM

Just looked up photos from his wedding day back in the 60s and he looked old enough to be his brides father! Cant believe he was only 10 years older

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2024 8:50 PM

This one hits hard, Bob was always my favorite comedian. Part of his talent was that he made you believe you might be funny, because if a boring guy like him could make you laugh then maybe you could be a comedian too. I hate people who say sappy shit like this but here you go: I hope he and Ginnie are on an adventure vacation with Don and Barbara Rickles some where.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2024 8:54 PM

He was a heavy, heavy chainsmoker for decades and played golf all of the time. His dark tan was not what his skin was meant to do. I thought he was sexy tho

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2024 9:12 PM

Thank you OP for making a proper death announcement.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2024 9:21 PM

I actually "met" him briefly. I was standing in line to check out of a hotel in St. Petersburg and the clerk said to the person in front of me: "Here is your mail , Mr. Newhart". He turned around and I just glared at him in shock, finally yelling "Well, Hello" . He stopped and looked at me for a moment , gave me a bemused smile and said "Well, Hello" and walked on. I felt like one of the the Darrells. He was great.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2024 9:23 PM

Loved his two TV series, his dry humor, his stammer, and his buttoned-down looks.

He was a mensch.

RIP

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2024 9:26 PM

"Em, Em, Em, Emily."

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2024 9:28 PM

He was, dare I say it, kinda handsome in his younger days.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2024 9:29 PM

[quote]Fuck, all these people I like are checking out. Why can't some MAGAts drop dead?

From your lips to God's ears, R5:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2024 9:29 PM

The way they ended the second series where he woke up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette was clever after having a dream.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2024 9:32 PM

That was his wife Ginny's idea, R21, down to recreating the bedroom with the navy blue grid sheets. I watched it live and stood up and howled and then my family and I literally grabbed our sides laughing, I was rolling on the floor. We were pissed that we hadn't taped it and all watched a few months later and still laughed and laughed

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2024 9:35 PM

Lou Dobbs- piece of shit -Dead-Good

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2024 9:36 PM

The last photo of him I saw was horrific. He looked like a decomposing corpse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2024 9:50 PM

Susan Dey will bake a casserole.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2024 10:29 PM

God, as if the last couple of weeks weren't bad enough? Newhart was one of the greats, and he always made me laugh.

RIP, Bob! I hope you're in heaven, waking up with your wife beside you and telling her about your crazy dream.

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2024 10:42 PM

He didn't make many films, but his character in the movie "Cold Turkey," was the catalyst for the rest of the picture... can one town in America quit smoking for one month?

I love that movie, used to smoke like a chimney when watching it.

What a cast of actors and character actors. Norman Lear directed, Randy Newman sang the theme song.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2024 11:10 PM

R12 Bob looked 55 for about 55 years!!

He has looked very frail for the past few years. When I heard his beloved Ginny died I knew he wouldn’t last too long without her.

The first show is great rainy afternoon watching. It holds up well. I never did buy that having Emily wake up with Bob after his second show was all Mrs Newhart’s idea. But it was a good idea to pin it on her to avoid it seeming like Bob favored Pleshette or that Pleshette was pulling the rug from Mary Frann and stealing her thunder. Maybe I’m too cynical!

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2024 11:44 PM

Here’s a long interview with Pleshette where she discusses TBNS and Bon himself. Some interesting tidbits in there. She admits that Bob told her “she doesn’t have your timing of course” when he was working with Mary Frann. She also says that Bob had no work ethic lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2024 11:47 PM

That's two in one day. Who will be the third ?

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2024 12:03 AM

Dick van dyke

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2024 12:11 AM

I'm surprised so many people missed that Peter Scolari had died. He's been gone nearly 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2024 1:30 AM

[quote] Just looked up photos from his wedding day back in the 60s and he looked old enough to be his brides father! Cant believe he was only 10 years older

And your father can’t believe your mother’s anal warts came from a toilet seat in a Greyhound station in Mobile, AL.

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2024 2:25 AM

PETER SCOLARI IS DEAD?!?

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2024 3:21 AM

I agree he did look terrible in that last photo.

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2024 3:22 AM

What about Mary Frann?

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2024 3:23 AM

A giant. Sad, but that's a very good run. I don't know how I'll handle it when Abe Vigoda passes

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2024 3:29 AM

^ Passes what? A ball?

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2024 3:31 AM

I'll have to be sedated when Carol Burnett dies.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2024 3:32 AM

[quote]Susan Dey will bake a casserole.

In monastic silence.

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2024 3:32 AM

The only thing I ever think of when I hear the name Mary Frann is Leslie Jordan saying the she was the biggest bitch he’d ever worked with and her husband was his agent!

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2024 3:33 AM

Jane Fonda and Bob were neighbors and friends. She says she would go over and have a beer with Bob reminiscing about old times! What an odd couple, I’d never have put her in Bob’s inner circle but there you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2024 8:50 AM

Thank you for using the correct format, OP.

And for offending the pearl clutchers.

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2024 2:49 PM

I wish First Family were streaming somewhere. I might have to buy it on Amazon in honor of Bob. The movie was silly and doesn't get much attention, but also stars DL favs Madeline Kahn (First Lady) and Gilda Radner (First Daughter).

by Anonymousreply 44July 20, 2024 12:17 AM

R44, bless you. I still remember the absurd scene where MK is about to enter the presidential limousine and cries: Wait! I forgot something! Then this protracted waiting and waiting, accompanied the sound fx of Kahn's rushinmg footsteps, up and back to the car. The First Lady returns... doing a pratfall into the car... with her camera. A bit of it at link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2024 12:37 AM

OMG - I forgot Richard Benjamin and Fred Willard were in it too!

I did buy it - $9.99 for HD.

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2024 12:46 AM

A profound loss. For years, i’ve been dreading the day we’d lose Bob.

I own the boxed set of The Bob Newhart Show (1972-1978), one of the best sitcoms ever and plan to revisit it this weekend. Bob and Suzanne shared such great chemistry.

Below is a video of Bob doing therapy in the 21st century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2024 12:48 AM

Thanks so much for posting that clip, R45. A great exchange:

Gilda Radner as First Daughter: "I wish dad was a streetcar conductor or something."

Madeline Kahn as First Lady: "Millions of people do, dear, but he's not."

And it was hysterical when they were using a dummy of Bob waiving from the roof of the car in the motorcade and a protester throws something at "Bob" and the head flies off the dummy. The motorcade just kept driving with a headless President continuing to wave to the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2024 12:57 AM

I got to meet him at a book signing at Barnes & Noble in 2006 in Manhattan. I told him I was a big fan of his records, his TV shows, and his stand-up, and now I'm anticipating his new book. I guess all these forays into different entertainment categories make you a media mogul? I asked rhetorically. Wow, I never thought of that, he replied and laughed.

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2024 1:47 AM

His wife came up with the Newhart ending and insisted that Suzanne Pleshette be cast as Emily in the Bob Newhart Show. Bob was very proud of her canniness. It's been awhile since I read his autobiography, but she also set up a tour for him capitalizing on his early comedy success when times were lean before his 70s comeback. She made him get a notebook for bits and he had one of the earliest word processors because she'd type them up at night and she'd ask why he hadn't had any ideas that day. He realized he owed a lot of his career to her and admitted he preferred to just play golf.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2024 8:12 PM

Plechette was on record saying that Bob didn’t have the greatest work ethic.

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2024 8:37 PM

R51 If there is anything at all negative to say about Bob, it was that. He often had his lines on cheat notes placed strategically around the set so he did have to memorize them verbatim.

by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2024 8:42 PM

Do flies drop at age 94 years?

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2024 9:24 PM

I was watching a Bob Newhart Show episode a couple of weeks ago where he tries to work for an insurance company. One of the top executives who is an expert actuary have him an unsolicited prediction of how old he will die. She said 77, and he breathed a sigh of relief. In real life he surpassed that by 17 years.

by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2024 1:58 AM

Surprised there aren't more posts--is there another thread?

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2024 9:48 PM

I think everyone just got distracted by the circus around the election. And Bob was a pretty low-key guy, so there aren't many salacious stories.

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2024 10:10 PM

You’re right those last photos of Bob kept even the grim reaper from taking care of business.

by Anonymousreply 57July 25, 2024 4:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!