Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Doomsday dinners: Costco sells 'apocalypse bucket' with food that lasts 25 years

The Readywise Emergency Food Bucket comes stuffed with 150 meal servings ranging from pasta Alfredo to apple cinnamon cereal for $79.99 online.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feed fine — because Costco has an emergency dinner kit, dubbed online as "the apocalypse bucket," that lasts 25 years.

The Readywise Emergency Food Bucket boasts 150 freeze-dried and dehydrated meal servings and has caused a stir on social media. With an online price tag of $79.99, the bucket's product description boasts that it’s more than just food, it provides “readiness in the face of uncertainty."

The bucket features 80 entrees and sides, 30 breakfast servings and 40 drink servings that just need water to prepare, for a total of 25,280 calories. The meal options range from teriyaki rice, tomato basil soup, pasta Alfredo, cheesy macaroni and apple cinnamon cereal.

And, crucially for those preparing for an apocalypse, the bucket lasts up to 25 years on the shelf.

“It’s not just about survival; it’s about maintaining a sense of normalcy, comfort, and even enjoyment during challenging times,” the product description said.

The pail of preparedness went viral after Jeffrey Eisner, a cookbook author, shared a video about the bucket at his local Costco, saying, “They have buckets that they’re just calling emergency food supply … I guess this is for when the apocalypse hits, which could be any time now?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2024 11:10 PM

This isn’t new. They’ve sold dehydrated and freeze dried food for some time. I got a nice variety pack awhile back. They’re convenient and actually as healthy as a frozen meal. Just not the most economical option.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2024 5:05 PM

Iconic bisexual Jim Bakker called it years ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2024 5:21 PM

If Armageddon comes and this slop is the only thing left to eat, then I would just as soon die as quickly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2024 5:38 PM

[quote]iconic bisexual Jim Bakker

He's bi? Huh.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2024 5:53 PM

That fucking asshole Glen Beck used to sell "survival seeds". When I lived in San Diego and KFI was my talk station, every other goddamn commercial was Glen and his fucking survival seeds. I hate that shit so much, fucking sky is falling rhetoric to rip off the elderly.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2024 6:06 PM

Some of us call it a snack purse

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2024 6:46 PM

I actually have a supply of such food. Not for “Doomsday” per se, but in case of a natural disaster. If the power is out for days, food is going to be hard to find.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2024 7:07 PM

Thank you, R2. You saved me a search and post!

I adore that Vic Berger edit.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2024 7:12 PM

How to say you live in Flyoverstown without saying you live in Flyoverstown

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2024 7:24 PM

I live out in the boondocks. I have plenty of survival food, guns, ammunition, and a lot of land to plant one. All of you saying you want to die in a hurry will be doing anything you can to stay alive. I'm not really a prepper or a doomsday person but your foolish if you don't have some way to survive. It'll be tough in the cities. Most of you will die within six to thirty days. I have also learned how to put together and repair bikes. I have about six bike and tow three wheelers all in good condition. I don't smoke but I also have about 100 cartons of cigarettes that I've stockpiled over the years. Smoker will trade their first born for a pack. Get a vacuum sealer and you can put together six months worth of food on the cheap. Legumes, pasta, and other dried goods, when sealed properly, can last forever. Shit load of canned goods too. I also planted an apple orchard years ago. Besides eating there's so much you can do with apples. Butter, jam, dried, sauce, etc etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2024 7:33 PM

Yet r10 won't make it 2 days with not being able to post on DL

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2024 7:41 PM

I will miss my internets LOL We all know, deep in our hearts, the way the world is today is unsustainable. Look at what a small break in the supply line did a little while ago. Imagine when the part of the supply line, the supplies your food, goes down.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2024 7:45 PM

Don’t cigarettes go stale?

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2024 7:46 PM

If you live in an area prone to natural disasters or power outages, this isn't a bad idea.

You have to hand it to Costco, they know their core market...

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2024 7:47 PM

Ditto, R7. I live in Earthquake Country, have one of those 30-day "buckets" (different company) in case of the Big One.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2024 7:48 PM

I've always believed a "go-backpack" is a good idea, especially after 9/11 and the massive power outage in NYC from the early 2003. The stories of the Katrina horror show in 2005 also didn't help.

At any given time, there is less than 5-days of food on hand in NYC in all the stores.

Assuming it's a localized problem and the rule of law still exists, having food and water for a week at home is not a bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2024 7:56 PM

I’m prepared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2024 8:17 PM

R10 but doesn't cigarettes go stale?

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2024 8:47 PM

I winder if this is on the shelf at Costco Wembley or Watford…?

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2024 8:54 PM

They does

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2024 8:54 PM

I forgot all about the to go bag. I have medical supplies and peanut butter and that's it.

I need to get more stuff

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2024 8:59 PM

I'm not going to buy any food that's going to outlast me.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2024 9:06 PM

I see ads for this crap on late night TV: disaster food.

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2024 10:23 PM

I think disaster food is not a bad purchase given how unstable climate change is making the environment. I'd like to see a documentary about how this food is made and what it tastes like. I have a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer for preseving summer produce but dried cherries and tomatoes won't get me through the apocalypse/

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2024 5:32 AM

The former owners of our home installed a pretty impressive bomb shelter in 2005. 2 bedrooms, living space, full air system & water storage etc. We weren't really into the whole survivor thing until we bought this house, & now we find ourselves thinking about it & preparing. We have a few of the Costco buckets. Bought them with the reward $$ from Costco. We also have ~5K bottles of wine down there..... So we'll survive......

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2024 6:20 AM

Gloria Gaynor, welcome to DL.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2024 6:25 AM

After being without power for six full days last week, this seems like a great idea.

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2024 6:33 AM

I’ll buy a bucket or two. I just love me some delicious freeze dried meat. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2024 6:33 AM

Anyone who’s eating will be a target for the pillaging gangs

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2024 7:38 AM

Sounds like a Twilight Zone episode waiting to happen. Enough buckets of dried food to last for years — with no fresh water.

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2024 7:48 AM

Psssssssss. Come here.

No , closer.

Ready?

There is no Wi-Fi in the apocalypse. The signal is there but no electricity to power the modem. Oh. You have a generator? Nice. To run for all times?

There is no "Netflicks and chill".

There's no garbage pickup.

No. Running. Water= chemical toilets- unbearable odors until you become nose blind to the odor of human waste,decay and body funk.

No Amazon delivery.

No dentists to handle your tooth.

No pharmacy open to fill your prescription for ritalin, to crush and Snort.

I hope your Wal-mart and Costco run provides you the security you need in the end times.

The elite have fortified bunkers and luxury yachts to ride out the end of times in comfort. They will require an army of servants who are well trained and compensated who can be trusted to not chop their masters heads off the minute these servants come to their senses.

by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2024 1:29 PM

If it's doomsday everybody dies. Lots of places are vulnerable to storm power outages. In CA there's always the prospect of the next big quake. Makes sense to keep something on hand for those situations. If you live in an isolated area where travel is difficult I guess one of these buckets might be useful. If you live in a city there are small grocery stores on every corner that will sell canned/shelf foods for cash. Just make sure you keep a cash stash somewhere for power emergencies. Too many people depend on bank cards to pay for everything nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2024 2:53 PM

[QUOTE] There is no "Netflicks and chill".

Netflicks? Just how old are you, pops?

by Anonymousreply 33July 20, 2024 3:01 PM

If you live in a city at the time of the apocalype, every store will be looted by the time you can count to ten.

They are pushing generators, too, which my Texas relatives already have.

by Anonymousreply 34July 20, 2024 4:39 PM

Cash. Has no value in the end of days.

Also, no Twitch.

No Steam.

No. Video games.

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2024 4:39 PM

Generators need fuel.

You may have sorted out the food supply for 25 years. You may have your toilet situation figured out.

I doubt you have enough fuel to run a generator for 25 years.

Also, no air conditioning in the end of times.

by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2024 4:42 PM

You need some good drugs for bye bye times. That is all

by Anonymousreply 37July 20, 2024 4:44 PM

I bought a shotgun and a 9mm handgun, and learned how to use them. I keep a supply of canned food (beans, etc.) and make sure to resupply as needed. There’s a swimming pool in the backyard and Sparkletts jugs in the garage. I’m more concerned about a catastrophic earthquake than Armageddon.

by Anonymousreply 38July 20, 2024 4:55 PM

probably need those hand cranked flash lights/radio or whatever they are called. I wanted to buy one after 9/11 but keep putting it off. I think those will be handy

by Anonymousreply 39July 20, 2024 5:06 PM

The shotgun will come in handy for the end of days

by Anonymousreply 40July 20, 2024 5:37 PM

Somebody start a new thread on disaster survival essentials.

by Anonymousreply 41July 20, 2024 5:41 PM

You need the shotgun, unlimited ammo,good aim and a stomach for the action.

by Anonymousreply 42July 20, 2024 5:43 PM

[quote] We also have ~5K bottles of wine down there..... So we'll survive......

5,000 bottles of wine? That's 1 bottle of wine per day for 13.7 years.

by Anonymousreply 43July 20, 2024 7:13 PM

See what a little hacking did yesterday to the grid? Now laugh at my ciggies, apples, and bikes.

by Anonymousreply 44July 20, 2024 7:15 PM

Here's a common-sense method for stocking your pantry.

Basically: Just buy the things that you normally eat, anyway. Every time you go to the store, if you're buying a can of beans, buy an extra can and put that in your emergency pantry. (Unless you can afford to stock up all at once.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2024 7:16 PM

TBH, I'd leave immediately if my quality of life were ever significantly impacted. A life of struggle is a disgusting thought.

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2024 7:18 PM

Hard work is a lot different than struggle.

by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2024 7:20 PM

The end of times is gonna look like the Donner party, without the happy ending.

You have your little bucket of food, from Costco. Guaranteed to last, like, 25 years.

Can you read?

The instructions require fresh water to prepare these meals.

Do you have 25 years of fresh water stored?

Do you have any idea what that quantity looks like.

Fresh. Uncontaminated. Water.

The elite do. And more.

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2024 8:22 PM

dig a well!

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2024 8:48 PM

The boomers and eldergays say, "What else ya got?"

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2024 9:03 PM

I don’t want to survive the Apocalypse. I have a stash of alcohol to stay drunk for a few days before I die.

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2024 9:09 PM

It totally makes sense in a consumerist society to spend thousands on things...for the privilege of fighting other people for those things in the future. Anything to feel superior just a little longer.

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2024 9:18 PM

The elite might have enough food and water to last 25 years but it won't do them much good. They won't have any employees much less servants. Nothing to do, no place to go.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2024 9:20 PM

Most people who prep do so to be able to sustain themselves in the face of natural disasters, power outages, supply chain interruptions, etc.

Remember in 2020 when people were freaking out about having no toilet paper? We didn't, because by chance, we had stocked up at Costco right before Covid hit. I was wishing we'd just stocked up on some other things that were hard to get in those months of quarantine, though... and that's when I decided to be as prepared as possible for any other future disruptions to the supply chain that I'd relied on all my life.

I'm sure there are people who think they're themselves for an alien invasion or zombie apocalypse, but that doesn't make the whole idea of being prepared for emergencies crazy. If anything, I think it's crazy to continue blithely assuming that you'll always have whatever you need and nothing will ever happen to make that difficult or impossible.

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2024 11:51 PM

I never thought I was that good at prepping, but when Covid hit, I realized I wasn't doing so bad. I always have tons of toilet paper in my cabinet. Somehow, I was OK, food-wise. Yes, I did need to buy stuff, but nothing crazy.

by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2024 11:54 PM

[quote]I actually have a supply of such food. Not for “Doomsday” per se, but in case of a natural disaster. If the power is out for days, food is going to be hard to find.

I consider it an opportunity to lose 20lbs. On the other hand I will not survive if the internet goes down.

by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2024 11:57 PM

Buy one for a student because sooner or later they'll have 20. to feed themselves for two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 57July 25, 2024 9:05 PM

It's just a case of Twinkies.

by Anonymousreply 58July 25, 2024 9:08 PM

I bought a hand crank radio from Amazon

by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2024 9:33 PM

Buy them for your college students so they can't complain about running out of money for food.

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2024 10:25 PM

I'm considering this. But I just can't commit to 25 years of "Fish, Chicken or Beef"

by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2024 11:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!