Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joni Mitchell, Madonna, and Cher at the 1998 Grammys

I thought Joni didn’t like Madonna. But this post in 2023 by Joni undercuts my thesis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2024 4:46 PM

Chee!

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2024 1:00 PM

Stop trying to make madonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2024 1:12 PM

Posing with Madonna in a photo doesn't make them friends, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2024 6:41 PM

It strongly suggests that Joni didn't dislike Madonna though, r3.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2024 7:06 PM

No, R4, it doesn't 'strongly suggest' anything. Maybe the photo came together in the course of two seconds. Maybe she did the photo for Cher's benefit. Maybe Mitchell hates both of them with a passion. Maybe she thought Madonna was fucking delightful, 'a real hoot' and a deeply talented artist of the highest order (as the body language so strongly hints).

There might be photos of me with my whole school classmates, that doesn't mean that I didn't dislike almost the lot of them (I would have been the one looking straight ahead and as though I would rather be somewhere, anywhere else - like someone in the photo you contend is evidence of this monumental not disliking.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2024 3:51 PM

I don't think Joni has ever liked Madonna's work, or her public persona, but certainly she isn't going to recoil with repulsion if this was a moment Madonna expressed her appreciation (which I believe Madonna has) of Joni's work.

There's a long list of female artists who love/loved Joni and.....well, didn't get that love in return!

As for those social media pages, they've been run by someone on Joni's management team or the record company for years. Joni probably saw social media as a bad thing, but she's not really concerned with stuff like that now.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2024 4:00 PM

Well Chee can’t stand Madonna, and she’s the one with her arm around her.

So I don’t think we can surmise much about Joni Mitchell’s take on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2024 4:06 PM

Is marca a real thing, r7? Anyway, from that article:

[quote]Despite her comments, Cher clarified that it's not a beef and that she actually likes Madonna

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2024 4:17 PM

^ She’s called her a cunt in an interview. It was posted on DL at one point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2024 4:31 PM

Cher explaining that Madonna should be more magnanimous and less of a cunt.

Video at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2024 4:33 PM

It's the Oscar Vanity Fair party. I can tell from Madonna's outfit.

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2024 4:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!