Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I forgot the rule “Never Read Bret Stephens”

I was tempted today by what purported to be an analysis of Trump’s political resurrection.

What brought Trump back to power?

1) the “gatekeepers to cultural respectability” a diverse group of people who have said things Stephens finds objectionable), 2) Biden (for running again, and for not clarifying in a 2022 speech that not all MAGAs are threats to Democracy), and 3) Democrats (apparently entirely represented by the Colorado Secretary of State) for seeking to enforce the 14th Amendment and for arguing against the Republican description of the American economy as “darkness at noon.”

Apparently, these sins are what compel the GOP to be an anti-democratic cult.

This is what passes for insight?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2024 2:23 AM

Rivalled only by Ross Douthat in his obnoxiousness.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2024 5:30 PM

A gangrenous wolf in sheep’s 🐑 clothing

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2024 5:43 PM

The NY Times is right and the distinction is between an intelligent and highly intelligent person. An intelligent person might say he so duplicitous, this is outragous, he must be stopped. A highly intelligent person will say but wait a minute the support is about 50%. Why do so many support a man who they know is lying. Why is the most racist President since the time when Presidents owned slaves IS THE GUY slowing bringing black men into the GOP. Looking at that argument and finding solutions is much more intelligent than “KILL THE FKIN MONSTER”.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2024 5:49 PM

I was shocked to find out I went to school with his wife, Corinna. She was very high-achieving and quite intimidating at the time. Sorry, that's all I have to contribute.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2024 5:56 PM

In his regular column with Gail Collins, Bret Stephens, finally, got off the fence & endorsed Harris. It wasn't exactly full-throated:

[quote] I fear that Harris is every bit as vacuous behind the scenes as she seems to be on the public stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2024 1:07 AM

Biden is somewhat responsible. Republicans would much likelier have chosen DeSantis or Haley if they saw Democrats choosing a new younger candidate in a primary.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2024 1:10 AM

Yes, once again everything is always and forever the fault of absolutely everybody except the MAGAts themselves. They are eternally blissful children who simply can't help being cunts and assholes. It's unfortunate, but the only solution is to accommodate them as much as possible, by making this country as much of a rightwing shitshow as possible, because even the slightest liberal impulse will set off their lizard brains and force them to behave like the assholes they are.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2024 1:14 AM

You can't be serious, R6. Trump owns the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2024 1:14 AM

Biden himself said, he would not be running if Trump was running. Trump’s anger at not having Biden as an opponent indicates he would probably not have run if Biden hadn’t run.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2024 1:29 AM

“If Trump wasn’t running.”

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2024 1:30 AM

That's idiotic r9. He's angry that it's not Biden because he was sure he'd win against Biden. The existence of Kamala Harris as his opponent just confuses and enrages him. He absolutely intended to run again, just to stay out of jail, no matter who was running as the Democrat, but after the debate he assumed he'd just coast against Biden.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2024 2:16 AM

I agree - it's not the conservative media and party who created Trump - and it's not the MAGA followers who buy into all the conspiracies and lies.

It's the DEMs fault for not seeing why they believe lies and try to understand it.

Fucking asshole - we've been trying for over a decade - NOTHING WORKS because you all SANEWASH him and protect his ass.

Fuck the trust-fund Bret Stephens who has never had a care in his whole entire life.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2024 2:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!