Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

25 years ago tonight JFK Jr's plane went down

25 years ago tonight, JFK Jr's plane went down in the water off the coast of Martha's Vineyard. He was flying in with his wife Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy and her sister Lauren Bessette to attend the wedding of his cousin Rory Kennedy to Mark Bailey the next day in Hyannisport, MA ( their wedding would be postponed to August of that year). The world was stunned to wake up to the news the next morning.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2024 2:27 PM

He was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2024 12:27 AM

R1, the girls weren't exactly chopped liver either.

I wonder if the political landscape would be any different had the plane not crashed - or if they'd just be another irritable upper-class couple fuming on the sidelines.

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2024 12:32 AM

Most of the Kennedy guys were great looking in their early to middle ages of adulthood (including RFK Jr). Once they hit their fifties, they started with the bloated look and aged quickly (especially with their Irish skin).

The Kennedy girls, on the other hand, were never 'attractive' - ever. Starting with Caroline, and this woman Rory (her cousin). They all look like horses, and as they age they look worse.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2024 12:40 AM

John-John's death was the second saddest of a generation.

Diana, Princess of Wales was the saddest.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2024 12:41 AM

R4 Funny, his father's and Uncle's deaths were the saddest of my generation

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2024 12:56 AM

I was shocked and then I got pissed off. He was in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2024 12:56 AM

The day the beauty died.

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2024 12:57 AM

Well, at least I got him to sign off on my deed ownership of mom’s Vineyard pad first—whew!

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2024 1:12 AM

That wedding should’ve been postponed to 1 year later, and with all guests and wedding party members wearing ash cloths in black!

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2024 1:15 AM

I woke up to my mother screaming “John John’s planes missing, John John’s planes missing!”

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2024 1:28 AM

I swam out and retrieved the bodies.

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2024 1:42 AM

As I was then, I am now- in Palm Springs. The only other time other than right now that I was here in July.

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2024 1:47 AM

R13. Go grab a Robek Juice. My favorite Palm Springs in July pasttime.

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2024 2:02 AM

Fascinating, R13!

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2024 2:04 AM

A very dim bulb with a death wish and to bring others down with him. That night he flew dangerously close to an airliner with 100s of people aboard. Using a plane he bought too advanced for his experience and taking off at dusk when he needed visibility. I saw him twice and he glowed. I didn't realize there was such stupidity verging on evil within.

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2024 2:11 AM

R12 No, Teddy, I swam out and retrieved the bodies !

by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2024 2:12 AM

R16 holy shit I wasn't aware that he flew close to a plane. That's horrifying.

Many who knew him have commented that he wasn't bright.

by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2024 2:18 AM

Rare clip of Carolyn speaking.

Barbara Walters once told her never to give an interview to keep her mysterious to the public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2024 9:42 AM

R5 Robert Kennedys death was not sadder than MLK Jr.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2024 11:28 AM

The gay death ghouls who pine over the loss of JFK Jr, Jon Erik Hexum, Princess Diana, etc. are the worst.

How do they manage to carry on living against such deep sorrow?

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2024 11:54 AM

Toothy Kennedy scum too dumb to be a pilot.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2024 1:32 PM

His mother knew that. She also told him George was a very bad idea and could never work. Once she died much too young that was it for him.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2024 10:31 AM

R22 Check out Rory Kennedy. She literally looks like a hare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2024 11:59 AM

"How do they manage to carry on living against such deep sorrow?"

we are cheered by your thread R21

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2024 1:00 PM

Probably the most glamourous couple of their time.

Yeah, he was stupid and she was a bitch.

They're dead, Jim.

Allow them their entry into the Valhalla of Unattainable Threesomes.

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2024 6:13 AM

They were the Harry and Meghan of their generation!!! So beautiful, talented, and servants of the people!!!

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2024 6:56 AM

He was never properly condemned for his stupidity in taking his wife and his sister to their deaths like this. Can you imagine their horror?

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2024 10:38 AM

Weren't they disoriented and they thought they were flying straight ahead? But they had to have felt the gravity pulling their bodies down.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2024 2:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!