Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Reporting from the Road -- A Gay Black Gen Z in Love with Trump!

(I know - TL;DR) So I stopped for the night in North Carolina on my way "up Home," and I paused to chat with the young (obviously) gay black man at the front desk, who was actually working here the last time I did this drive. Being the intrepid political scientist/former pollster that I am (I did political polling in grad school), I asked him innocuously, "So who are you voting for?" And you know what I was expecting to hear.

Please pick me the fuck up off the floor. "Trump," he said softly. I gently asked him more questions, careful to stay in pollster mode as opposed to challenging him. He said, "I fell in love with Trump! It's like a cult. You get swept up in it. You can actually lose yourself with him. I'm so excited to see what he can do for the country." He told me he'd contributed $ to Trump many times, and sent him Christmas and birthday cards (!), which he'd never done for a politician before. He continued to gush like a schoolboy with a crush for 15 more minutes. I was trying to be kind and sweet and not look shocked.

I asked him if he got to know Trump on The Apprentice, and he told me he did. His parents are retired military, and ardent Democrats, and disapprove of his choice, but he told me that since he and they are from (of all places) Connecticut, they know how to agree to disagree.

I would ordinarily be out on I-95 by this time, but I was so flabbergasted, I had to write this here just to get it off my chest. I guess North Carolina is lost... Now I must get back on the road, fellow DLers. Love you!

by Anonymousreply 83August 10, 2024 12:03 AM

Mental illness. Probably manic as hell.

On another note, I can't imagine ever asking a stranger who they're voting for. Just seems likes bad manners, no offence.

by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2024 12:12 PM

May that be the worst part of the Trip SL.

by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2024 12:20 PM

this never happened. ffs

by Anonymousreply 3July 16, 2024 12:33 PM

Every demographic in the US is moving right, That the GOP offers zilch to make anyone’s life any better, and will in fact make most people worse off is of no consequence. People love the vibe.

by Anonymousreply 4July 16, 2024 12:41 PM

As a customer, you ask employees who they are voting for?

That is truly bizarre behavior.

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2024 12:43 PM

He probably does slave/massah roleplay with daddies on Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2024 12:43 PM

[quote] People love the vibe.

It's a doomsday cult. Too bad they can't serve the Kool-Aid before November.

by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2024 1:21 PM

Bullies always attract the unsure, the scared and the plain dumb.

That's most of America.

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2024 1:56 PM

The desk clerk and I had talked for a long time the [italic]last[/italic] time I stayed there (back in January), and he remembered me. So I was completely at ease asking who he was voting for. Most people are quite happy to tell you their opinion if they know they're not going to be challenged. But if I had known the way that exchange was going to rattle my cage, I wouldn't have asked.

Thanks for thinking of me, EL @ R2. Truthfully, I sat in ridiculous traffic from Richmond to Frederick, and that was nerve-wracking. But I've checked into my hotel and I'm sitting here with my mother, so I hope the worst is over.

OTOH, it's 92 here in PA and 87 at my place in FL. Life is funny.

by Anonymousreply 9July 16, 2024 11:10 PM

1/10 OP.

Consider enrolling for another creative writing class.

I here community colleges are affordable.

by Anonymousreply 10July 16, 2024 11:42 PM

R10? And I thought [bold]I[/bold] was cynical!

[quote]I here community colleges are affordable.

What did you [bold]hear[/bold], R10? I heard no community college would take you.

by Anonymousreply 11July 16, 2024 11:48 PM

Was his name TeaCake?

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2024 11:49 PM

It's terrible, but I don't know his name. Mea culpa.

by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2024 11:54 PM

^ Hopefully they have a Homophones for Homos class.

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2024 3:53 AM

Will you stay there on the way home SL? Might be interesting to get an update if you do.

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2024 11:43 AM

Every time I hear that man’s voice yelling lies, I just want to throw a boulder at the screen.

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2024 11:59 AM

That does seem twisted - wonder if he will stay a Trump worshipper these next few months when pretty much all young Black people around him in NC will be either pro-Harris or disengaged/disconnected from the election. And there will probably be some ugly racism coming her way from Trump/MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2024 12:04 PM

I just assume that a black person is looking for attention/followers/money when they claim to like Trump. It seems like a grift.

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2024 12:24 PM

Who the fuck asks a stranger who they're voting for? That's weird.

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2024 12:26 PM

they live in fayette-nam or rocky mount and are scared to say otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2024 12:27 PM

none of this happened.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2024 12:29 PM

or sl looks like a 'rumpster and he was as'kered to say otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2024 12:35 PM

Yes DL’ers not all gay and not all black people subscribe to the lefts ideology. Trump isn’t a republican, he’s a populist and we need a populist to knock these elites, who think they’re better and smarter than us (and they’re robbing us), off their feet a little bit.

The media and the Pelosi’s of the world aren’t our friends.

Trump was the first and only President in the history of our country to be pro gay rights and marriage BEFORE he was elected. Biden and Obama were VERY anti-gay marriage. And of course, everyone before that was too,

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2024 12:44 PM

Biden was pro gay marriage and pushed his president in that direction. Supreme Court codified gay marriage June 26, 2015, therefore Biden considered gay marriage a settled issue BEFORE he was elected President.

Are you a troll or just incredibly sloppy and ignorant in your typing?

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2024 12:56 PM

EL @ R15, I am seriously considering that, since I have decided that NC hotel will be my go-to whenever I do the "going up Home" road trip. The problem is, I did a detour east to my bff's place on the Jersey shore, and I would have a hard time making it to that hotel from there in a day on the way back down.

It might be worth it just to talk to that kid again. But I doubt his opinion has changed. Still, as a political scientist, I am [italic]dying[/italic] to find out. Anecdotal evidence, and all that.

I'll keep you posted.

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2024 1:15 PM

[quote]Biden was pro gay marriage and pushed his president in that direction.

I don't know why this myth persists to this day. The whole administration was planning to come out in support of gay marriage, but Biden gaffed and let it out of the bag before the agreed upon announcement date. He didn't push anyone, though Obama was lowkey grateful the old straight white man said it first, as it was better optics and the response wasn't what he feared either.

by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2024 1:55 PM

I am not surprised more people are voting for the right. I have been noticing black men are going for Trump. Most men are voting for Trump. The young people were excited for Obama but didn't vote in great numbers for him. Young people tend not to vote. Kamala only has the Democrats and that is not enough to win. Anytime people feel like the economy is hurting them they vote for the other party. And Kamala was part of the administration. And don't tell me the economy is great. That is a lie and people are perceiving it as things were better for the economy when Trump was in office. I know that isn't fair but this isn't about facts it's about feelings.

by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2024 2:11 PM

Can someone please redirect OP's sad young man to Taylor Swift or Beyonce? He can get caught up in their cults far more happily.

by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2024 2:12 PM

[quote]He said, "I fell in love with Trump! It's like a cult. You get swept up in it. You can actually lose yourself with him.

That’s where OP’s tale falls apart for me. Nobody would say this about the person they plan to vote for as president, it’s too self aware. People in cults don’t know they’re in cults.

by Anonymousreply 29July 26, 2024 2:19 PM

Verificatia of sizemeat?

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2024 2:19 PM

Being self aware doesn’t necessarily preclude making bad choices. We like to think it does, but it doesn’t.

C- for R27

Have a great time down the shore SL. I hope you do get to stop and get an update. Maybe you can pick up an ice tea for him.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2024 2:27 PM

Exceptionally Satisfying Tale, as we used to call it on DL of yore.

by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2024 2:30 PM

To OP - Sure, Jan. This really happened.

Nice try, Yuri-bot.

by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2024 4:53 PM

That's what you get for stopping a Bo Jangles. Besides a whopping case of the Hershey Squirts. A side of straight-up CRAZY.

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2024 4:56 PM

Elaborate Scenario Thread - I thought it stood for

by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2024 7:42 PM

Hmmm, isn't it common knowledge that Trump polls better among black and gay voters than previous Republican candidates?

OP describes herself multiple times as a political scientist but has apparently never previously polled someone who was a minority in their own demographic?

OP, you're not the former President of Harvard, are you?

by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2024 8:07 PM

How’s your niece CE?

For anyone concerned about the actuality of SL’s existence, I would encourage you to temporarily use the block and stalk. I know we are all a little on edge about the trolls, but SL seems to me as real a poster as we have on DL and very much neither Yuri, nor a bot.

by Anonymousreply 37July 26, 2024 9:21 PM

Oh, FFS. If I didn't already know how many of you boys are batshit crazy, I'd tell you exactly where I did the polling and why there weren't many minorities there. Plus, this was the mid-90s, at a not-very-well-funded public university, and I read the scripts off stapled packets of paper and marked the answers there with a pencil while I held the phone to my ear to talk. The poll results were published in a small but well-known newspaper and were thought to be important. I was paid for the work (not very well), but I had three different PT jobs in grad school trying to keep a roof over my head, even with my TA stipend and my tuition paid for.

And I have said more than once here on DL that you guys are more than welcome to come to my neck of the woods and visit me, if you have the balls. I know of at least one guy in FL who lives about 45 minutes away from me and I mentioned something about meeting at a restaurant we've both been to, but he didn't seem so inclined. No big thing.

Failing that, why don't we have another big DL gathering -- I know there's been at least one before, in DC if I remember correctly. Pick a (not ridiculously expensive) place, and I'll come on my motorcycle and meet some of the guys I know have been here on DL for many years, just as I have. Since I'm retired, I have the time. I'm more than willing to put my money where my mouth is... Are you?

by Anonymousreply 38July 26, 2024 11:29 PM

Free Press’ Honestly podcast just had an episode about Black Trump voters.

A Black Chicago woman, who was from a very poor background and heads a GOP group, said that Democrats have fixed nothing. She was from whatever the public housing is called there. She (or a guy?) said that people are upset about how much better the undocumented immigrants were being treated that Black people in need.

When asked if she thought the GOP was racist, she said someone saying racist things bothers her must less than people in charge of racist policies, and she believes Dem policies somehow let any money get siphoned off, providing few solutions.

The interviewer asked if she would switch her vote to Kamala. She said no because she is “not sentimental like that.“ She said she is practical.

The men claimed Trump is masculine, and says what is on his mind no matter how bad, which they respect. He also knows how the law could turn on anyone. The guys said Black people tend to be more conservative about certain issues and align more with GOP thinking.

One guy served decades for a gang-related murder and said that from where he was from it was kill or be killed. Another guy had been bussed and ended up at a mostly Black gifted high school. A theme with some was that they needed to send a signal to Democrats, rather than aligning with Repubs on everything.

by Anonymousreply 39July 26, 2024 11:37 PM

[quote]She (or a guy?) said that people are upset about how much better the undocumented immigrants were being treated that Black people in need.

That is a valid point. People in NYC are beyond pissed about the free hotel rooms and debit cards and health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 40July 26, 2024 11:39 PM

R39 Yeah Trump and a GOP congress will be better for African Americans.

by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2024 12:34 AM

(SL isn’t a Yuri-bot, but R39 and R40 might be)

by Anonymousreply 42July 27, 2024 12:37 AM

R38 OK, sorry OP! I tend to take 'political scientist' to mean faculty at a university rather than a summer job in college but we won't argue ;)

You really shouldn't be *that* surprised though, I mean, there were black people who voted for Roy Moore. All sorts of batshit combinations of opinion exist out in the wild ;)

And I'm gonna don my flame-retardant suit for this one, but let me say.... it isn't that surprising. Donald Trump is a malign figure who might be the worst person ever to become US President (a crowded field, of course) and if I had a vote I would never consider voting for him but.... the man has real charisma and presence. Even I as an avowed leftie was quietly cheering in 2016 when he just ran through such smarmy, slimy, unctuous individuals as Ted Cruz, Jeb Bush, and Marco Rubio, (and yes Hillary too) whom even their allies and supporters don't like. They had no idea what to do with him, and it was just beautiful to see. Lots of people love to see a mouth who just doesn't give a fuck take down the powerful people. Low-information voters will have lapped it up, so I'm not surprised he has created a cult around himself.

by Anonymousreply 43July 27, 2024 12:45 AM

R37 Hi Elderlez! I guess you mean my cousin K with her rather eccentric wife C from Idaho I told you about before? Hoo boy.

Well the UK does not give out family and partner visas for cheap, and the newlyweds needed just short of £20,000 to get C her residence permit, and since K was hard at work on her Masters' degree, C schlepped back to Idaho shortly after the wedding to earn the money and study for the endearingly weird 'Life in the UK' test. This can contain such questions as 'What percentage of Europe died in the Black Death' and 'who developed RADAR?'. Their relationship had been in majority online, and my mother speculated to me that she wouldn't ever come back. However, credit to her, she signed up for hard labour at one of Bezos' warehouses, raised the money, aced the test and came back after 9-10 months. Unfortunately she hasn't gotten a job over here yet but claims to make money from twitch streaming, so that's what she does all day, in K's parents house, to their absolute joy.

She is something of a challenging person (K's mother says she has no filter). We were all at a family barbecue once very shortly after we had met for the first time and she asked me if I could stop chewing so loud ('I'm sorry, but it really bothers me!'). Well I never, DL! I can assure you my table manners are impeccable. She met K's cousin for the first time at another event and immediately starting talking about how 'feathery' his hair was (this is a little gay kid well into his style and bleached blond hair, who looked momentarily horrified). I onceheard her say to K's sister 'I may be autistic, but....' with the rest of the sentence inaudible, so it might be a joke, but frankly, if she really were autistic it would explain a lot.

Anyway K got her degree and a good job and a substantial inheritance from her grandfather, so they are in a position to buy their own house in a nearby market town. If you know Northern Ireland the area is a DUP stronghold, which doesn't really bode well for a lesbian couple living together, but on the other hand the place likes to think of itself as a respectable community, so it might be better for them and they won't stand out so much as in a rural area. We'll see how it goes. BTW K is a quiet person and doesn't usually do anything weird.

C means well, I think. I do give her credit for working hard to raise all that money and giving up her whole life in the US to come over here. She still hasn't gotten used to the manual driving and 'tiny, narrow' roads we have. I guess she's our family eccentric now, I'm sure I'll be able to mine her for a few more DL anecdotes.

by Anonymousreply 44July 27, 2024 1:11 AM

Jesus, R44, I used to like you. You know what DLers used to tell me: get a blog.

BTW, I was faculty at a number of colleges. i taught at two universities. But I was never given a tenure-track position because I was out and proud and these schools were in FL, [italic]and[/italic] other gay/lesbian faculty in my department (and one provost) who were closeted were terrified I would out them. You can call me a liar all day long, but it's true. And of course, being out, everyone knew I was (am) a liberal and I was teaching my students to be Marxists, gay/lesbian, etc. Not having any job security in academia whatsoever for many years (and having been terribly paid, to boot), I worked on and off as a statistician for bosses/entities who wanted me to "fudge" the data. I actually got two of my bosses fired (and a third was led out in handcuffs for embezzlement). No one wants someone like that working for them.

I've had quite the interesting career. Why do you think, with the education I have, I'm poor as a church mouse?

Sticking to your morals and principles is a tough row to hoe, especially in FL, where damned near everyone is as crooked as a three dollar bill. Whaddya gonna do?

by Anonymousreply 45July 27, 2024 11:18 AM

True equality is where a member of any minority has the same right as any member of the majority population to vote based on their own financial self-interest/greed, selfishness, lack of engagement with the wider world, and limited outlook, and not be questioned for it.

by Anonymousreply 46July 27, 2024 11:50 AM

True equality is the right of any individual to make stupid choices.

by Anonymousreply 47July 27, 2024 11:56 AM

Why are you talking with the help?

by Anonymousreply 48July 27, 2024 12:32 PM

I like to make small talk with strangers, R48. Hell -- I'd even talk to you!

by Anonymousreply 49July 27, 2024 1:29 PM

SL hope you are enjoying the beach today.

EC, sorry for misremembering the family relationship. Thank you for the update on your cousin! It is very much appreciated and it sounds like things are going well. Looking forward to future anecdotes. There really is a pot for every cover.

We were in “Norn Iron” very briefly this spring and I thought of you. I don’t think I could ever get used to the roads. Luckily we had a driver

by Anonymousreply 50July 27, 2024 1:41 PM

[quote]The whole administration was planning to come out in support of gay marriage

Please provide evidence of this claim, R26. My lived experience differs. In fact, if you actually watch the [italic]Meet the Press[/italic] clip in which Biden "gaffed", he clearly states that he was speaking on his own behalf and specifically not the administration's.

by Anonymousreply 51July 27, 2024 5:24 PM

Thanks EL @ R50 -- I'm going to a beach party being thrown by my bff's friends, a (Republican) lesbian couple I've been hearing about for years. They are anxious to meet me; I am ambivalent. Wish me luck.

by Anonymousreply 52July 27, 2024 5:48 PM

Same rodeo, different year.

I no longer try to make sense of people like this, & instead, completely block them from contaminating my life, & I vote.

That’s it. I no longer give a fuck why you will vote for him or why you support him. It will never make any sense, regardless, so fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 53July 27, 2024 6:12 PM

I just love that R23 thinks that a man who has been ripping off contractors in NYC for decades, out of millions upon millions of dollars, AFTER they renovate his properties, and who scammed hundreds of people out of thousands of dollars each when they enrolled in his phony university, is a fucking populist. And I’m only using those examples, as these examples are the ones where his fraudulent behavior directly affected mostly working class folk. We all know there are a plethora of other examples.

Robin Hood, he ain’t.

by Anonymousreply 54July 27, 2024 6:43 PM

Fascism has an emotional appeal. Surrender and dissolve into the whole. That’s the secret sauce.

Islam literally means “submission.” Same vibe.

by Anonymousreply 55July 27, 2024 6:49 PM

R52 I hope they are never Trumpers at least.

by Anonymousreply 56July 27, 2024 6:52 PM

DK, R56. Bff putting her face on. We'll see.

But I'm certainly not going to bring up the topic -- I know better. As my godmother used to say, don't poke the snake.

by Anonymousreply 57July 27, 2024 7:04 PM

Gay people who support Trump are fucking self-loathing morons.

Black people who support Trump are even lower and worse.

by Anonymousreply 58July 27, 2024 8:32 PM

Hey R45 I'm a struggling, precarious academic too. I know how bad it gets :( I think Florida would be a whole new level of awful though. I can just see myself having to discuss with a class what the good aspects of slavery were.

Nowadays, though, my college has LGBT networks for staff and advertises its pride events on all its social media channels, but then it goes on to give many of those same staff 3 or 6 month contracts and a salary barely scraping past minimum wage. So right now I feel like I don't want to pinkwash my own exploitation.

Don't be too mad at me, there's still some hope for us. Enjoy the beach!

by Anonymousreply 59July 28, 2024 8:44 AM

Oh wow Elderlez @50 that's really cool you came to visit, where did you go? Were you there during summer marching season? (if not count yourself lucky).

If you struggled with the roads too maybe I'm being too hard on C. It's not that bad, you just need to indicate as you pass each flock of sheep.

by Anonymousreply 60July 28, 2024 8:46 AM

R8 well hopefully most of America doesn’t vote Trump.

by Anonymousreply 61July 28, 2024 8:47 AM

Why are you harassing people in their workplace and asking them who they're going to vote for? That's none of your business. It's especially patronising to expect black people to vote by default for Harris.

by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2024 9:28 AM

What has Trump ever said that's anti-gay, r58? The Democrats, on the other hand, are fully behind the homophobic, literally gay-destroying trans cult.

by Anonymousreply 63July 28, 2024 9:30 AM

His poor parents must be in despair.

Have a safe trip, SL. It's always good to see your posts.

by Anonymousreply 64July 28, 2024 9:39 AM

R64, are you suggesting people should vote on the basis of what their parents believe and solely to satisfy their parents, as opposed to voting for what they themselves believe and support?

by Anonymousreply 65July 28, 2024 10:37 AM

[quote] His poor parents must be in despair.

I don't know about his parents, but his poor gran ain't having it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 28, 2024 11:30 AM

R65 I think it is natural for parents to be upset when their children join a cult.

CE my wife has always wanted to visit Ireland, we hadn’t been to Europe since 2018 and we aren’t getting any younger so we did a very touristy, fancy tour in the spring with two friends. It was far too much in a week and I wish we had a bit more time.

NI was Derry, Giant’s Causeway, Belfast (Europa - blech) and dinner with other (not trip) friends’ family.

Giant’s Causeway was my priority and it lived up to expectations. Unfortunately due to weather Cliffs of Moher had zero visibility and that was a bummer because it was the thing my wife most wanted to see. Slea Head Drive/Dingle and Donegal were the highlights of the Republic section of the trip.

by Anonymousreply 67July 28, 2024 11:32 AM

R66 Too funny. Now which one of her nephews done stole her credit card to donate to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 68July 28, 2024 11:34 AM

Voting for a particular candidate isn't a "cult", r67. What's cult-like is being horrified that someone has different opinions from you.

by Anonymousreply 69July 28, 2024 11:42 AM

Given that the person in question acknowledges the cultish influence himself I’d say that it is.

Different opinions is one thing. Wearing a maxi pad on your ear to identify with dear leader is entirely another. Wake up and smell the flavor aid.

by Anonymousreply 70July 28, 2024 11:48 AM

What has Trump ever said that's anti-gay, [R58]? The Democrats, on the other hand, are fully behind the homophobic, literally gay-destroying trans cult.

Look who he has put in the Supreme Court—people who seek to impose conservative Christian ideology as the law. Look at who is behind him—Christian Nationalists who oppose gay visibility let alone gay marriage., People who believe women should be stay at home baby ovens.

You are a moron.

by Anonymousreply 71July 28, 2024 2:06 PM

^first sentence should be in quotes

by Anonymousreply 72July 28, 2024 2:08 PM

R63 is a special kind of moron.

by Anonymousreply 73July 28, 2024 4:18 PM

R69 can't see that MAGA and Trumpism is a cult... which means he's either deaf, dumb, and blind... or he's in the cult and like a fish swimming in water, cannot perceive that which is all around him.

by Anonymousreply 74July 28, 2024 4:20 PM

At the same hotel, but the kid I talked to last time isn't here. Maybe he's off on Sundays.

Well, you can't say I didn't try.

by Anonymousreply 75July 28, 2024 11:37 PM

How were the Republican lesbians of the Jersey Shore?

by Anonymousreply 76July 28, 2024 11:39 PM

EL @ R76? Thanks for asking.

They didn't talk politics at all, and were well into their cups by the time I met them. Played loud country music. The other women invited to this party/concert were all seemingly wealthy 60ish straight women who also liked to drink. By the time I left 90 minutes later (I drove my own vehicle), everyone but me (clean & sober 43 years) was positively sloshed. And then they walked the short distance from the condo to a concert on the beach. **shaking my head** There's nothing sadder than aging party girls.

I'd arranged things so my bff could stay (and drink) and I drove back to her place to pack. But (and I hate to say this) it seems all the stereotypes about Jersey housewives (even the lesbians!) are true. Too much hair dye, garish make-up, expensive but distastefully flashy jewelry, etc., etc. And lots and lots of booze.

Strange to say it, but I'll be glad to get home to FL.

by Anonymousreply 77July 28, 2024 11:55 PM

EL @ R76 !!!!

The young man was at the front desk this AM, and (since we're old friends now, my having chatted with him for four hotel stays) I asked him if he'd changed his mind. I told him that I had some people who wanted to know his opinion (that would be you and other DLers).

"No! Of course not!" he said. "I want to be able to retire one day! And if she becomes president, she's going to take [italic]everything[/italic]."

I thanked him for telling me, but didn't encourage more conversation. I have a sore throat and a splitting headache (NYC germs, I'm guessing). I just didn't have the patience.

Poor deluded bastard. I wonder how many more of them are out there. Some people never learn.

by Anonymousreply 78July 29, 2024 12:37 PM

Poor guy. I hope someday he’ll be happily reflecting on how the Democratic Party saved his retirement and how glad he is that that awful Trump he was all caught up in went down in flames.

Safe driving getting home and feel better.

Thank you for the update!!

by Anonymousreply 79July 29, 2024 4:36 PM

OP declares a state "lost" because some idiot said the wrong thing to her.

As for the rest of the "sympathy" here, it's just lesbians leaping at the chance to pity something other than themselves. At least for once it's not a one-legged dog or a faceless kitten.

by Anonymousreply 80July 29, 2024 4:56 PM

EL @67 wow you crammed a lot into a week! The Giant's causeway is quite something, it's close to where my grandparents lived when I was a child, I remember visiting with my grandfather on what turned out to be his last trip before his death from cancer (he got me one of the little rock collections they used to sell). There was a mini political storm a few years ago when some DUP evangelicals objected to the official blurb describing the rock formations taking shape over millions of years, which was very funny.

The Europa is officially the most bombed hotel in Europe! Perhaps that may be why it underwhelmed you. Glad you had a good visit all in all.

by Anonymousreply 81August 9, 2024 11:53 PM

OP is this who you ran into?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 10, 2024 12:01 AM

They told us about the bombed part at check-in! The rooms were teensy-tiny even by NYC standards and the lobby was full of drunk teenagers in fancy dress because of a boxing (????) match. Oh and then the fire alarm went off as soon as we got into the room.

Mind you the last place we had stayed was Lough Eske Castle.

LOVED the Giants Causeway and how the audio tour would go back and forth between the real geology and the folk tales.

by Anonymousreply 83August 10, 2024 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!