Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'The Perfect Couple' on Netflix

Looks fun. Starring Nicole Kidman, Liev Schreiber, Eve Hewson, Jack Reynor, and Meghann Fahy. Directed by Susanne Bier.

[quote]Amelia Sacks is about to marry into one of the wealthiest families on Nantucket. Her disapproving future mother-in-law, famous novelist Greer Garrison Winbury, has spared no expense in planning what promises to be the premiere wedding of the season – until a body turns up on the beach. As secrets come to light, the stage is set for a real-life investigation that feels plucked from the pages of one of Greer’s novels. Suddenly, everyone is a suspect.

September 5th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202October 6, 2024 6:06 AM

Nicole Kidman is too old looking to be a leading lady anymore. You would think there were no decent actresses under 40 in Hollywood. Sheesh. Exhausted from her bad plastic surgery face.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2024 2:42 PM

There seems to be some botox fuckery going on with Tim Bagley's face, it's pooling everywhere.

Was just about to make a Jack Reynor WHET thread and now I see him pop up in this.

Dakota seems to be in everything these days, good for her.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2024 2:51 PM

This is quite shameless in its White Lotus rip-off-ness. It’s also odd they chose a title so generic it would be rejected by Hallmark. White Lotus wouldn’t have become White Lotus is it was called “The Perfect Vacation.”

Just watch this again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2024 2:53 PM

Why’d they make that one muppet out of raw chicken?

Oh. That’s Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2024 2:53 PM

Well, i too thought immediately of White Lotus baiting, but still want to see it.

If there is a role where Kidman’s immovable and plastic face is role appropriate is this one.

by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2024 3:01 PM

Holy shit. that Indian actor is HOT!

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2024 3:04 PM

Yeah, Ishaan's a hottie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2024 3:11 PM

Nicole has become the queen of shitty streaming projects. The ugly face, the wigs, she’s become a bad actress.

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2024 3:22 PM

What R1 said. I simply can't stand looking at her fake face.

The only time she was even cute was when she was a teenager, with that wild curly hair and freckled face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2024 3:31 PM

Crazy Botox rabbit.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2024 3:43 PM

Kidman is so overexposed. I never watch anything just because she’s in it.

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2024 4:07 PM

Does she hate being with her family or something? I can't think of any other explanation as to why she loves to work all the time. I can't believe that she needs trashy commercial film money that badly.

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2024 4:10 PM

Perhaps she just enjoys acting that much, like a true thespian?

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2024 4:12 PM

If Nicole Kidman doesn't appear in a new project every few months, she begins to disappear a la the photograph in Back to the Future.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2024 4:14 PM

R13: Honey she's no thespian. She must be easy to work with and/or shows up on time.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2024 4:14 PM

[quote] Perhaps she just enjoys acting that much, like a true thespian?

Oh, [italic]hon.[/italic] This is Nicole Kidman we're talking about, not Patricia Clarkson.

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2024 4:17 PM

It seems a bit Saltburn - ie new person joins a very wealthy family who live in a massive house and are also really fucking weird.

But I'll give it a go.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2024 7:52 PM

I'm happy for any work really. I just love to act! But seriously they should have cast me in the role of the 20-something bride, or at least the mother of toddlers. I'm not OLD.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2024 7:57 PM

It actually looks entertaining; and good lord, at least it's Nicole was the parent of adult kids rather than young children .

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2024 8:28 PM

R1, Kidman's character has been married for 29 years, so Kidman, at 57, is younger than her character.

Liev Schreiber's face is wrecked and bloated, but for some reason you don't object to him.

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2024 8:37 PM

R20 Liev Schreiber's face looks a hell of a lot better than Kidman's. She's ghostly white and waxy. He looks like an actual human being who drinks to much and spends too much time in the sun. He's still very fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2024 9:46 PM

Is this fiction or based on a true story?

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2024 9:49 PM

Kidman lost a lot of us when she agreed to take that Lucille Ball movie, despite being Australian, stone-faced, and about as funny as a school bus fire.

Those studio cocksuckers are only concerned with gross profits, and they knew the story was marginal, so they could've solved the problem one of two ways: Fix the script and hire a funny actress, or leave the script lousy but hire a bankable name any idiot will pay to watch. They picked the latter path.

Debra Messing would've gotten an Oscar nomination out of it. But as the suits would say, "SHE doesn't open a movie!"

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2024 10:05 PM

WOOF

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2024 12:08 AM

It looks like some kind of Agatha Christie with too many characters.

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2024 12:42 AM

@r8, bullshit. She's chosen to do some amazing projects on streaming. But those probably aren't broadcast to your red state.

by Anonymousreply 26July 14, 2024 3:23 AM

Why can’t Nicole just relax and enjoy her wealth. Why does she have to be everywhere, in everything, all the time? Every 2 months…here comes another…

by Anonymousreply 27July 14, 2024 6:06 AM

From the thumbnail alone I thought this was a sequel to M3gan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 14, 2024 6:18 AM

[quote]Why can’t Nicole just relax and enjoy her wealth. Why does she have to be everywhere, in everything, all the time? Every 2 months…here comes another…

Keith Urban's manlights don't pay for themselves you know! Seriously though, she is likely the main breadwinner in that house, they've got 3 young adult daughters, all which require being kept in the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed. That's can't be cheap!

by Anonymousreply 29July 14, 2024 9:02 AM

Let's face it, when you're as well known as Kidman, you don't need to go looking for work - it comes to you.

And some people hate the idea of sitting around.

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2024 9:50 AM

R23 That shit didn't even open. It was on Amazon. Straight up TV. Then Nicole was nominated, almost won the fucking Oscar for it. Things need to be regulated where POS TV movies aren't allowed nominations for anything.

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2024 10:06 AM

Nicole has always been prolific.

by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2024 10:07 AM

What "amazing" series has she been in, r26? Accusing someone of living in a red state because they didn't orgasm while watching Expats is pretty fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2024 12:54 PM

Expats was a miss, even the critics said so. They gave Lulu Wang too much, too soon.

by Anonymousreply 34July 14, 2024 12:56 PM

about as funny as a school bus fire.

That's funny.

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2024 12:07 AM

Trailer.

Starts tomorrow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 4, 2024 11:03 AM

Which character drowns? They all seem to have post drowning scenes.

by Anonymousreply 37September 4, 2024 11:12 AM

It's mildly entertaining. On second episode now.

by Anonymousreply 38September 8, 2024 11:09 AM

[quote]It actually looks entertaining; and good lord, at least it's Nicole was the parent of adult kids rather than young children .

Yes, she was always playing the mother of toddlers or elementary school-aged children until recently. Maybe she finally realized how ridiculous it looked.

by Anonymousreply 39September 8, 2024 1:56 PM

I like Nicole Kidman, I loved White Lotus and some of the men in this are hot, but after 2 episodes I feel as if the whole thing is entirely uninvolving.

I don’t care whodunnit, but the house on the beach is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 40September 8, 2024 2:03 PM

[quote]Nicole Kidman is too old looking to be a leading lady anymore. You would think there were no decent actresses under 40 in Hollywood.

I not one to rush to Nicole Kidman's defense, but she does play the mother of some children solidly in their twenties. Maybe not the role for someone 57, but not the role for someone under 40.

by Anonymousreply 41September 8, 2024 2:07 PM

[quote]I don’t care whodunnit, but the house on the beach is beautiful.

Yeah, the set design is pretty much the only reason I'm pressing on. That, and the handsome Indian boy.

by Anonymousreply 42September 8, 2024 2:12 PM

It manages to rip off BLL and White Lotus but is pretty bad. I can’t with Nicole’s face anymore.

by Anonymousreply 43September 8, 2024 2:41 PM

I watched the trailer and said to myself, "How can she even act with that face?"

by Anonymousreply 44September 8, 2024 2:43 PM

So, Amelia is played by Bono's daughter? I knew I saw the actress somewhere ("Bad Sisters") but I couldn't put my finger on it.

BTW, everyone in the first episode was saying that Tag is fuckable and I have to agree.

by Anonymousreply 45September 8, 2024 2:45 PM

[quote]So, Amelia is played by Bono's daughter?

Yep, and she has the most fantastic tits. One of the better cast member on this mid show.

by Anonymousreply 46September 8, 2024 2:47 PM

Wasn't the victim actually in White Lotus s2? She looked familiar.

by Anonymousreply 47September 8, 2024 3:14 PM

Yes, Meghann Fahy.

by Anonymousreply 48September 8, 2024 3:16 PM

Whoever was in charge of makeup and hair needs to be FIRED. That wig of hers was awful. Is her real hair in such dire condition that she has to conceal it all the time? Maybe her hairline is pulled very far back from all the facelifts.

by Anonymousreply 49September 8, 2024 3:17 PM

Continuity flaw. Did I imagine the cake had yellow icing in one scene and then white later on? Maybe it was the lighting. Minor issue I know but I could have sworn I saw pale yellow icing first.

That older brother was a worthless, mean asshole.

by Anonymousreply 50September 8, 2024 3:26 PM

r49 I guffawed when someone mentioned to ignore the cancer mom's wig, when Nicole's was just as bad.

by Anonymousreply 51September 8, 2024 3:38 PM

Eve Hewson looks beautiful in some shots and very meh in others. It’s nice that she has curves.

by Anonymousreply 52September 8, 2024 3:44 PM

Surprisingly awful, given the cast and production investment.

by Anonymousreply 53September 8, 2024 11:35 PM

Nicole is the new Nick Cage who was new Bruce Willis.

by Anonymousreply 54September 9, 2024 12:15 AM

I'm all for mindless entertainment, but this series was truly terrible. The only thing that got me through it was remembering Jack Reynor's full frontal nude scenes in Midsommer.

by Anonymousreply 55September 9, 2024 10:33 AM

This e tire thing felt like a vehicle designed to propel the actor playing Scooter into the zeitgeist.

by Anonymousreply 56September 9, 2024 7:31 PM

I thought his name was Shooter?

And I doubt he has this kind of pull in Hollywood. He's just a pretty thing from Bollywood who got lucky to get cast in this and – I hope – will keep getting lucky going forward.

by Anonymousreply 57September 9, 2024 7:35 PM

The show was awful. Dakota Fanning especially.

by Anonymousreply 58September 9, 2024 7:37 PM

R45, she is a good actress. She also played the horny southern nurse in the Showtime show The Knick.

by Anonymousreply 59September 9, 2024 7:38 PM

I really hate Dakota Fanning.

The actor who played Shooter is fucking hot, so at least this series gave us him. I hope to see more of him in the future. Much more.

by Anonymousreply 60September 9, 2024 7:39 PM

Loved Dakota in Ripley, but she just annoyed me in this. Everyone except Bono's kid annoyed me, actually. I didn't buy any of the couples. The blond guy piqued my interest when I saw the trailer, but he's lowkey soap actor bad and his skin is all sorts of terrible in closeups.

Nicole's wig looked like a piece of plastic from behind. Outrageous, given where the wig science is in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 61September 9, 2024 7:41 PM

R61, agreed. And, dear god, Isabelle Adjani looks worse than Kidman which is seeing quite a bit. She looks like some evil muppet brought to life.

by Anonymousreply 62September 9, 2024 7:43 PM

Dakota Fanning really irritated the shit out of me in that scene where the brothers are fighting over the wedding cake. And I figured she was the murdered about 3 episodes in.

by Anonymousreply 63September 9, 2024 7:45 PM

yes, Adjani's face is frightening.

by Anonymousreply 64September 9, 2024 7:45 PM

R64, it's like the philtrum area of her face (the space between the upper lip and nose) was stitched together. Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 65September 9, 2024 7:47 PM

Adjani's character was like something from a different show, just completely out of place. I will complement her English, however.

by Anonymousreply 66September 9, 2024 7:48 PM

*compliment, even!

by Anonymousreply 67September 9, 2024 7:51 PM

Dakota Fanning - the older they get, the cuter they aint.

by Anonymousreply 68September 9, 2024 7:52 PM

Nicole's contract demands that for every scene she is in, someone must compliment her beauty. In every scene she is not in someone must ask where her character is and have you seen how beautiful she is.

by Anonymousreply 69September 9, 2024 7:59 PM

LOL R68 - so true! Her eyes are so big as to be disconcerting.

by Anonymousreply 70September 9, 2024 8:05 PM

I thought the sons Benji and Thomas looked like they were in their 40s, not 20s.

by Anonymousreply 71September 9, 2024 8:07 PM

Her latest nose job is really not great; I found myself wondering if it will end up in Michael Jackson territory. Every time she fucks with it, she gets that much closer.

And I don't really blame HER for the horrific wigs - somebody didn't do a good job on this, which they are paid for. I would not use that wigmaster again for any future projects. Those were some of the worst wigs I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 72September 9, 2024 8:08 PM

Every month when the Korean wigs arrive, Nicole and Keith have a catfight over them.

by Anonymousreply 73September 9, 2024 8:14 PM

Twenty years ago, Nicole's frozen face was a plot point about artificiality in The Stepford Wives.

Today, it's just her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 9, 2024 8:28 PM

R69, you mean the Carrie Bradshaw clause?

by Anonymousreply 75September 9, 2024 8:28 PM

Nicole was truly terrible. The accent was all over the place. Just truly awful. It’s as if she has given trying to disquise her very deep Australian accent. This was a lighter version mixed with an attempt in some scenes to sound BostonNantucket. It made me not buy her character especially in the last episode. I laughed and laughed at her serous scenes. She needs to take a break for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 76September 9, 2024 8:43 PM

I was curious if the accent was supposed to be more British than Australian...she didn't sound fully Aussie whatsoever, or is that her natural accent now that has devolved to...that?

by Anonymousreply 77September 9, 2024 8:46 PM

But I think Eve Hewson is interesting and very good. I wanted good things for her character. But for me Meghann Fahy stole every scene. She is riveting and stunning to look at. And I laughed when she opined on Nicole Kidman’s character’s butthole.

by Anonymousreply 78September 9, 2024 8:46 PM

I thought both of them were good, r78. Meghann was an excellent mixture of young, hot yet a bit sophisticated. Really surprised she hasn't gone the breast implant route, TBH. Good for her.

Hewson surprised me...I assumed she was be a barely talented nepo baby, but she really did a good job. I think we'll see more from her.

by Anonymousreply 79September 9, 2024 8:51 PM

Eve Hewson was *really* good in "Bad Sisters." I'm curious to see how her career develops.

by Anonymousreply 80September 9, 2024 8:55 PM

Eve is also in a show on Netflix called ‘Behind Her Eyes’. It is a British mystery series and she is great and plays the bad girl well.

Her Dad may have helped open doors but she is proving herself to be not just capable but compelling.

by Anonymousreply 81September 9, 2024 9:00 PM

r73 made me laugh hard.

by Anonymousreply 82September 9, 2024 10:07 PM

I loved Meghann Fahy in White Lotus. I kinda thought she'd be a flash in the pan after that. Happy to see she has new fans.

by Anonymousreply 83September 11, 2024 5:39 PM

Meghann got her big break on One Life to Live. She was great as the psycho/stalkerish girl.

by Anonymousreply 84September 11, 2024 5:49 PM

I was disappointed there were no shirtless shots of Schrieber, who is so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 85September 11, 2024 5:57 PM

He's sexy, but bloated. So not suprising.

by Anonymousreply 86September 11, 2024 5:59 PM

Shrieber was hot, and Michael Beach as the cop was also totally fucking hot daddy. Those two going at it and unloading on each other's thick, hairy chests would have been nice. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 87September 11, 2024 8:28 PM

Unfortunately, they had to include that uber-MAGAt Nick Searcy in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 88September 11, 2024 8:32 PM

What a piece of crap. The “killer” was random and had no motive. For shame, Nicole for doing TV garbage.

by Anonymousreply 89September 12, 2024 2:24 PM

She has a high-maintenance lifestyle and a ton of people on her payroll. She needs to work.

by Anonymousreply 90September 12, 2024 2:26 PM

Those Korean wigs are not going to pay for themselves, you know!

by Anonymousreply 91September 12, 2024 3:11 PM

[QUOTE] It seems a bit Saltburn - ie new person joins a very wealthy family who live in a massive house and are also really fucking weird.

It's based on a novel by Elin Hilderbrand that came out in 2020 so it wasn't influenced by Saltburn.

by Anonymousreply 92September 12, 2024 4:46 PM

[quote]It seems a bit Saltburn - ie new person joins a very wealthy family who live in a massive house and are also really fucking weird.

[quote]It's based on a novel by Elin Hilderbrand that came out in 2020 so it wasn't influenced by Saltburn.

"Saltburn" iself was inspired in part by "Brideshead Revisited," "The Talented Mr. Ripley," and "The Secret History." See, for example, the "Big Beautiful Elite," "Cast Full of Rich People," "Middle-Class Outsider," and "Big Fancy House" tropes.

by Anonymousreply 93September 12, 2024 4:55 PM

[quote] It seems a bit Saltburn - ie new person joins a very wealthy family who live in a massive house and are also really fucking weird.

***AHEM***

Remember back to when Dataloungers were actually well read?

by Anonymousreply 94September 12, 2024 7:50 PM

Yes--see R93

by Anonymousreply 95September 12, 2024 8:12 PM

Did Liev specifically ask to sing multiple times? I can't see them writing that in otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 96September 12, 2024 10:32 PM

Why is Isabel Adjani in this? What does she contribute?

by Anonymousreply 97September 13, 2024 2:17 AM

Foreign sales? Appeal to men who fantasize about sex with a 69 year old woman?

by Anonymousreply 98September 13, 2024 2:22 AM

r50 the way the carry it, that giant cake apparently only weighs 1-2 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 99September 13, 2024 2:22 AM

Stunt casting. Plus, she's a legend of Euro cinema.

by Anonymousreply 100September 13, 2024 2:24 AM

Nicole demanded another pillow face so she wouldn’t stick out. Unfortunately it failed for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 101September 13, 2024 2:27 AM

Liev Schreiber looks like a combination of Walter Matthau, David Mamet, and Jason Bateman now.

by Anonymousreply 102September 13, 2024 2:35 AM

I watched this show with a friend who'd read the book it was based on. Apparently, the series is totally different from the book. Same characters, but they have different relationships, and SPOILER ALERT there is no murder. Someone dies, but it's a little complicated.

by Anonymousreply 103September 14, 2024 5:42 AM

Like I said earlier, it was total schlock, but I enjoyed it - just for the scenery, the back and forth between the characters, looking at some fuckable characters. The murder mystery was the least compelling part. I didn't know unequivocally that Abigail was the murderer but it crossed my mind early on and it didn't surprise me in the end. Once the series started throwing suspicions on and then off the characters one by one in the most rote fashion, it wasn't hard to believe at all that the murderer was the last character the show got to. If they were going for The Usual Suspects level of intelligent surprise, they failed. But, again, the murder plot wasn't really why I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 104September 14, 2024 4:14 PM

R96, that was the worst part of the series. The singing was so off putting. I was hoping Kidman would stab him do death at the book launch .

by Anonymousreply 105September 14, 2024 5:59 PM

R97, men who fantasize about has-ben French actresses who now look like ventriliquist dummies. It's a big market.

by Anonymousreply 106September 14, 2024 6:00 PM

No comments on the opening credit dance number?

I haven’t finished watching this show, but I am enjoying it and quite like the deceptively cheery, party mode the line dance number gives.

by Anonymousreply 107September 14, 2024 6:27 PM

I enjoyed it, too, R107. It's rather deceptive, as you said. Also, I'm surprised I sort of liked the song, given that it's Meghan Trainor.

by Anonymousreply 108September 14, 2024 6:41 PM

You guys are such cunts. I got used to Isabelle's and Nicole's monstrous plastic surgeries within 20 minutes of episode 1.

by Anonymousreply 109September 14, 2024 7:09 PM

The opening dance number is cute and if you look closely, Shooter has the best moves out of everyone. Which tracks, given his previous work in India.

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2024 7:21 PM

I'm sick of Nicole Kidman. And Suzanne Bier, who did the horrendously preposterous The Undoing, is behind this. Dare I suspect it's the husband who did it? Did I also mention I'm sick of telenovelas where the White hetero guy is the villain and the women his pawns and victims OR if she's the villain there's a perfectly reasonable explanation why she did committed the crime, i.e. propelled by a personal history with the wrong White, heterosexual male?

by Anonymousreply 111September 14, 2024 7:35 PM

The husband didn't do it. And the chick who was the ultimate villain didn't do it because of her personal history with the "wrong, White, heterosexual male."

by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2024 8:46 PM

I finished it yesterday evening… I won’t spoil the whodunit part but want to comment on the surprising ending.

There was quite a bit of info for the observant viewer to interpret. The final exchange between Greer and Tag I thought was slickly written. I liked that I got to interpret just what was occurring between them.

But the final scene at the zoo is pissing me off. There’s no explanation for Greer’s turnaround… it’s as if they just made Greer to be the cool woman/mom that the audience would have preferred her to be. Maybe there’s something missing from the book?

by Anonymousreply 113September 15, 2024 8:54 AM

Psycho pregnant Abby murders Merritt. Gives her water with strong barbiturates in, then holds Merritt's head under water until she drowns. Abby's motive is that Merritt's kid's birth will mean Abby's husband Thomas won't get his hands on a trust fund for another 18 years instead of the next year.

In the novel, Merritt drinks water that Abby spiked with a sleeping pill but it isn't meant for her, it's meant for her husband's mistress, the characters Adjani plays who is called Featherleigh in the novel and Isabel in the Netflix version. Her weak motive is that she wants Adjani's character to fall asleep so she can't have sex with Thomas (Abby's husband) that night.

by Anonymousreply 114September 15, 2024 9:48 AM

Dreadful but watchable. And I also love Fahy. When I saw her in White Lotus, I thought she was a soap actress lightweight, until her big scene at the end, which blew me away. She was the best thing in this as well.

by Anonymousreply 115September 15, 2024 11:00 AM

R114 FUCK YOU NASTY CUNT. This is a new series. YOU ARE BITCH CUNT KILLJOY.

by Anonymousreply 116September 15, 2024 11:25 AM

R116, not 114 but they aren't spoiling anything, they are doing you a favor.

by Anonymousreply 117September 15, 2024 1:19 PM

Yeah, dick move @ R114. You didn’t even answer my better question: Why did Greer do what she did at the end?!

by Anonymousreply 118September 15, 2024 1:59 PM

So, only males reset the trust. I was wondering why Abbi's own kid wouldn't reset the trust - a kid who would be born before Merrit's kid. But Abbi and Thomas had that exchange where she reveals that she's having a girl. Thomas asks, "it's a girl?" Abbi answers, "it better be." From what I gathered, the trust payout was $2.5 million.

by Anonymousreply 119September 15, 2024 2:14 PM

So Dakota would have been broke anyway since her husband owed that much to the French whore. Terrible ending.

by Anonymousreply 120September 15, 2024 2:29 PM

[quote]I was wondering why Abbi's own kid wouldn't reset the trust

It’s Tag’s children that share in the trust. Abbi’s kid is Tag’s grand kid.

by Anonymousreply 121September 15, 2024 4:00 PM

Did they ever explain how Dakota would even know about the pregnancy?

by Anonymousreply 122September 15, 2024 4:30 PM

Terrible plot.

I have no idea, R122, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who was left wondering.

by Anonymousreply 123September 15, 2024 5:36 PM

The fake tulips in the cement pot at the waters edge during the rehearsal dinner bugged me. It's supposed to be summer.

by Anonymousreply 124September 15, 2024 5:36 PM

Abbi wants a daughter because the men in that family are fucked up. I guess Nicole/Greer is no prize but Abbi idolises Greer, I think.

by Anonymousreply 125September 15, 2024 5:38 PM

Selling "Tag" as sexy by about everyone of the cast was reaaaally a stretch. Pigheaded, bloated, drunk.

by Anonymousreply 126September 15, 2024 5:41 PM

R124 R125

by Anonymousreply 127September 15, 2024 5:41 PM

His skin looked like SHIT in closeups.

by Anonymousreply 128September 15, 2024 5:43 PM

The sons were supposed to be "so handsome" but only the twink was possibly above average. And not even. Several generations of wealth in the USA usually improves the gene pool.

by Anonymousreply 129September 15, 2024 5:45 PM

r126 Yeah, I didn't get the appeal either. He's not ugly or anything, but so many of the characters saying they wanted to fuck him was a bit much. Alternatively, they should have cast someone who would realistically elicit such a response. Someone like his half-brother Pablo Schreiber, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 130September 15, 2024 5:45 PM

I think Bono's daughter is voluptuous and pretty, though.

by Anonymousreply 131September 15, 2024 5:45 PM

R131, she is gorgeous and she has a face made for acting. Very expressive.

by Anonymousreply 132September 15, 2024 5:51 PM

And why did Benji have dyed blond hair? I thought that was really strange.

by Anonymousreply 133September 15, 2024 6:04 PM

To make him stand out from the brothers more, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 134September 15, 2024 6:05 PM

Liev has ALWAYS had a DILF aura about him. Sure, it may have faded a bit, but he’s still a hot fuck daddy that I wouldn’t kick out of bed.

I was always jealous of the kid in this vignette, but then the kid became Jeremy Allen White and now I hope Liev enjoyed himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2024 6:45 PM

I wonder if Nicole knows that so many people make fun of her and her choices.

by Anonymousreply 136September 16, 2024 12:51 AM

^^^

She’s heard. She sends her love!

by Anonymousreply 137September 16, 2024 2:22 AM

I watched The Others last night, an old Kidman film from 2001. After that I watched the next episode I was on for The Perfect Couple and holy moses the difference in Kidman's face, mannerisms, mouth movements, etc was wild. It's one thing looking at then/now photos, but seeing her then/now in action was really something. Something not good, I might add.

by Anonymousreply 138September 16, 2024 7:47 AM

All I know is that I want Michael Beach, who plays Officer Dan, inside me very, very deeply.

by Anonymousreply 139September 16, 2024 8:51 PM

Absolutely agree, R139, Beefy and hot. In Black films he's often played much-hated fuckbois. Lol. He was Angela Basset's husband in Waiting to Exhale who left her for a white woman.

by Anonymousreply 140September 17, 2024 3:07 AM

I was surprised to learn that Michael Beach is over 60. He definitely looks great for his age.

by Anonymousreply 141September 17, 2024 3:10 AM

He's exactly 60 and looks great. He has 8 kids and his ex wife with whom he has some of the kids lives with him and his new, younger wife (she's around 45 now) with whom he also has kids. It's sort of nuts and takes he sheen off a little, but then I just look at him again.

by Anonymousreply 142September 17, 2024 3:20 AM

But for real, is she supposed to be Australian or British in this? She sounds South African.

by Anonymousreply 143September 17, 2024 10:50 AM

I'm not a big fan of hers, but I thought the accent was fine. It was definitly British, but a bit off, being that her original accent was the same as her brother's but she was faking the upper class one.

by Anonymousreply 144September 17, 2024 11:11 AM

What a stupid show with an idiotic impossible conclusion. I can just see Nicole conferencing with Bier saying, "Now I want my character to do a 180 at the end and become a progressive womyn, never mind that she has been an ambitious, controlling bitch for 60 years, she's transformed by her would-be daughter in law who she hated but never mind, she sees the light through this other womyn and becomes fully realized."

by Anonymousreply 145September 18, 2024 4:46 PM

R145, is it just me or have Netflix shows/movies gotten so much worse the past few years? There were some very good ones a few years ago and now they are all almost as bad as this show.

by Anonymousreply 146September 18, 2024 4:55 PM

R146 it all became obnoxiously formulaic

by Anonymousreply 147September 18, 2024 5:33 PM

It has to be forumlaic with rough edges to appeal to a broad international audience. The shows sometimes looks good and have the trappings of a decent show, but you often realize that it's just overall generic and nothing really happens that's particularly compelling or interesting.

by Anonymousreply 148September 18, 2024 5:51 PM

I found Jack Reynor as brother Tom sexy, but then I’m a sucker for douchey WASP prince types (yeah, I know Reynor is Irish).

And Schreiber is hot.

by Anonymousreply 149September 18, 2024 5:52 PM

Dakota Fanning desperately needs a new hairstyle. She was annoying in this, but I feel like I can't hate her after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 150September 18, 2024 6:01 PM

R148 that describes it very well.

by Anonymousreply 151September 18, 2024 6:15 PM

Sorry, I meant "no rough edges."

by Anonymousreply 152September 18, 2024 6:33 PM

I thought the lady cop was terrific. Did anyone else wonder just whose baby Abby is having?

by Anonymousreply 153September 18, 2024 6:41 PM

I enjoyed the series and was entertained, although I can see where some of the criticism comes from.

I like Nicole in most things she has done, and she looks better in this than she did in the Expats, where I found her face distracting. She looked odd in that, to say the least. She's sort of back to looking good in The Perfect Couple, although in some scenes the lighting is not very flattering to her, and her facial work looks really overdone. A few times she really gave off "old lady face" depending on the shot she was in.

Liev looks grizzled, old, and like he has been a hardcore drinker and smoker for decades. I also found how he mumbled through a lot of this role underwhelming.

And who decided on the awful wig for Isabel? Not sure I buy her in the cougar role she is playing.

by Anonymousreply 154September 18, 2024 6:54 PM

This show has the same level of idiotic writing you see on network TV every night with a ton of fucks and cunts thrown in to make it seem daring.

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2024 8:12 PM

And Nicole needs to demand a better wig maker. Jesus Christ she looked like she was wearing a 99-Cent Store Halloween Special.

by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2024 8:14 PM

R153 Agree — the mannerisms, facial expressions, timing. She (Donna Lynne Champlin) stole every scene she was in.

by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2024 9:22 PM

R153 I thought she was great as well, and I realized I recognized her from somewhere.

I looked her up, and it was what I suspected: she was the best friend in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: quite a departure from that role. She was really dry/sarcastic and cutting. Her reactions were spot on, especially talking to some of the uppity members of the family. Great portrayal. Her name is Donna Lynne Champlin, and it looks like she's kept somewhat busy since the end of CExG.

I hope we see her in more.

by Anonymousreply 158September 18, 2024 9:35 PM

Loved this. I especially loved Irish actor Mark Reynor. Hes so cute. Id seen a thread on him before about his nude scene in Midsummer and now i want to see it. Bonos daughter as Amelia was surprisingly good too. It needed someone of the pedigree of Nicole to make it stand out and she delivers. The last episode felt more like a dark comedy, which made me rethink the series.

by Anonymousreply 159September 18, 2024 9:48 PM

[quote]I especially loved Irish actor [bold]Mark[/bold] Reynor.

Gurl...

by Anonymousreply 160September 19, 2024 4:06 AM

Loved the campiness and haughty Nicole really pulled it off . Great line delivery when she finds Amelia downstairs at night. "Thirsty? Don't you have a carafe by your bed"? Bad wigs be damned, she and Isabelle Adjani were hoots! Never thought I'd see the actress who played Adele H. so wonderfully slumming on American TV delivering lines like "Greer has a stick up her ass.....hole"! The whole cast is terrific. The characters are unapologetically awful. Everyone looked like they were having as blast. Benji, Tom and Scooter were hot! I hope there's a Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 161September 19, 2024 4:39 AM

R161 You have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 162September 19, 2024 5:15 AM

You stop with that kinda talk right this instant, r162.

by Anonymousreply 163September 19, 2024 5:20 AM

With a few extra pounds, Tom could play Jaydine.

by Anonymousreply 164September 19, 2024 10:46 AM

[QUOTE] I hope there's a Season 2

Girl, it's an adaptation of a novel so no Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 165September 19, 2024 12:31 PM

It was fun but I found the solution to the murder an anti-climax and not convincing. Not to mention that without a witness or evidence (or a confession) a murder charge would never stick. And there should have been dialog to that effect at the end — there would never be severe repercussions for any of these wealthy people.

I found the abrupt tone change at the end fun, made the whole series suddenly seem like “Knives Out,” which I guess was deliberate. And yet it was a sign of sloppiness, a cop out which added to my feeling of being let down at the end. It was rushed and the coda was phony. I found the Kidman character’s regeneration unconvincing to the point that I wondered if Nicole insisted on it when taking the part. Wonder if she has the same sea change in the novel of origin? Agree it seemed like pandering to get a general audience, and it obviously worked — “The Perfect Couple” has been #1 in the US on Netflix since it dropped. Even the return of the second part of “Emily in Paris” hasn’t supplanted it yet.

I thought Schreiber gave the best performance in a difficult part — a chronically cheating husband who is nevertheless mad about a wife who has no use for him.

I enjoyed the Bollywood-style dance number the whole cast did in the opening credits, was glad they showed more of it at the end credits.

by Anonymousreply 166September 19, 2024 12:53 PM

Midway through I realized they were just running through everyone as a suspect and then discarding them as a suspect without much suspense or doubling back to "surprise. It felt very rote in how they eliminated everyone. Amelia killing Merrit could have been interesting, but the most "We want to be The Usual Suspects 2" ending possible. Abbi was such a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 167September 19, 2024 2:57 PM

I’d give it a B or maybe B+ for cheesy entertainment based on a popular “pulp” novel. It was fun to see them use real locations and touches like lightship baskets on Nantucket although this is not particularly what Nantucket is like. This thread seems to be mostly a Nicole bash job. I thought she was good- think Dynasty in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 168September 19, 2024 3:08 PM

R168, you are very, very generous.

by Anonymousreply 169September 19, 2024 3:18 PM

R166 Greer has need for her husband. She isn't leaving him at the end. She's just a stone cold careerist, and even if her fake background is shot down now, she's going to make bank and name as a ex whore turned mega successful authoresse.

by Anonymousreply 170September 19, 2024 3:31 PM

By the way I give it C- redeemed by Nicole and Isabelle. I wish Isabelle had a better script.

by Anonymousreply 171September 19, 2024 3:32 PM

At the end, are the couple agreeing to stay together but lead separate lives? It was a lot of hot air for no payoff.

by Anonymousreply 172September 19, 2024 3:50 PM

Isabelle didn't make any sense. I have no idea why they decided to include her in this. She made the show even worse.

by Anonymousreply 173September 19, 2024 3:52 PM

Isabel Nallet is there for colour and lux camp. The character should be in her early 50s tops and Isabelle is 69.

by Anonymousreply 174September 19, 2024 7:09 PM

Huppert played vixen MILFS for 20 years and she is now 71. I kind of got sick of these performances after 60.

by Anonymousreply 175September 19, 2024 7:10 PM

The better and more surprising ending is if the maid did it to protect Liev Schreiber's character.

When it was revealed the dead pregnant woman had barbiturates in her system, I thought it was because the maid made one of her green juices and spiked it.

by Anonymousreply 176September 19, 2024 8:24 PM

I thought it was going to be Gosia, R176. She had a lot of resentment.

by Anonymousreply 177September 20, 2024 12:52 PM

The BEST ending would be if a car ran over Dakota, ending the show prematurely.

by Anonymousreply 178September 20, 2024 3:33 PM

Dakota's performance was inspired by the fictional character Marcia Brady.

by Anonymousreply 179September 21, 2024 11:13 AM

I thought it was the maid who did it.

by Anonymousreply 180September 23, 2024 1:15 AM

The only reason I am watching this is to look longingly at Liev, R45.

He is one of the sexiest men alive to me. My total type.

by Anonymousreply 181September 23, 2024 3:04 AM

[QUOTE] He is one of the sexiest men alive to me. My total type.

Fat with huge plastic glasses. Okay girl.

by Anonymousreply 182September 23, 2024 3:06 AM

R182 don't worry. I won't make us join you us.

by Anonymousreply 183September 23, 2024 4:15 AM

Is it worth watching?

by Anonymousreply 184September 23, 2024 5:24 AM

For throwaway, background entertainment, it's fun. If you want something more substantive and want to be wowed by great writing and a truly compelling story, then no.

by Anonymousreply 185September 23, 2024 3:07 PM

Watch Monsters instead. Not exactly true to life but incredibly well acted, not to mention very sexy (no, not the incest part, the other part).

by Anonymousreply 186September 23, 2024 3:21 PM

I'm the very busy state flag with very contrasting panels.

by Anonymousreply 187September 23, 2024 3:23 PM

^^Whoops, wrong thread, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 188September 23, 2024 3:27 PM

Confused about the sex scene between Benji and Amelia in the beginning where she seemed reluctantly resigned to do it doggy style but then he couldn't keep it up? And then at the end when he's drunk as a skunk he has no trouble fucking her properly in the kitchen at the book launch party.

by Anonymousreply 189September 24, 2024 4:51 PM

She only wanted it doggy style so she could pretend it was Shooter fucking her.

by Anonymousreply 190September 25, 2024 1:56 AM

R176 - I'm with you. I thought it was going to be Gosia for the same reasoning. Unlike many here, I enjoyed the fuck out of this series. I didn't expect it to be anything extraordinary beyond entertaining, featuring my catnip which is dysfunctional family drama rife with cheating, lying, secret agendas, lust, murder, resentments galore. I subscribe to LMC specifically to indulge in my love for escapist, schlocky, campy trash.

by Anonymousreply 191September 25, 2024 3:16 PM

Should add that I resubscribed to Netflix recently because they're putting out so many of the above types of shows so I can bounce back and forth between LMC and Netflix, and when I'm feeling classy, Acorn and Britbox.

by Anonymousreply 192September 25, 2024 3:18 PM

This got worse as it went along. Last 2 episodes so implausible and maddeningly stupid. The only pleasure was seeing Meghann Fahy acting again. Hopefully she'll pick a better vehicle next time.

by Anonymousreply 193September 30, 2024 2:08 AM

I liked it, Nicole's face didn't bother me nearly as much as Adjani's did. And I could not believe how terrible her wig was. How could they not see that. I kept thinking they must have done it for a reason but have no idea what that might be.

by Anonymousreply 194September 30, 2024 2:41 AM

Nicole's big reveal had absolutely nothing to do with the murder or the plot.

Nothing.

But Liev was hot to look at, so I was fine watching the series.

by Anonymousreply 195September 30, 2024 4:21 AM

Pharmaceutical roulette, how random is that? So believably in character for Thomas to steal individual pills from everyone and just throw them all in a drawer. Where his crafty pregnant wife singles out one pill to execute her dastardly plan. Btw, when exactly did she learn that her father-in-law had knocked up his mistress? The whole thing is dopier than shit. Are the author's novels as hair-brained as the script?

by Anonymousreply 196September 30, 2024 5:37 AM

Another piece of shit from Nicole Kidman. She’s so trashy.

by Anonymousreply 197September 30, 2024 5:39 AM

It’s sooo good. All I know is the Russian maid is such a datalounger lol.

by Anonymousreply 198October 5, 2024 1:22 AM

[quote] Are the author's novels as hair-brained as the script?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 199October 5, 2024 4:26 AM

Sans hyphen is the preferred form for the "harebrained" variant.

by Anonymousreply 200October 5, 2024 4:50 AM

Marc Caputo's now full-on solid silver head of hair is working for him. Hot.

by Anonymousreply 201October 6, 2024 5:54 AM

^^ Sorry, wrong thread. ^^

by Anonymousreply 202October 6, 2024 6:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!