Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peaches and nectarines are so delicious this year

Some years they don't have much flavor, but they sure do this year.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2024 12:04 PM

mmmm hmmmm

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2024 10:01 PM

I had a white peach and a white nectarine last week and they were both delicious!!

by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2024 10:18 PM

I need to get some

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2024 10:34 PM

I bought three nectarines yesterday.

I haven't had one yet.

I'll let you know.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2024 10:37 PM

They are just so fucking expensive this year. It was only a few years ago, at this time during the summer, I could get nectarines and/or peaches for .98 a pound. Now they're $2.98 at the Big Y.

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2024 10:39 PM

Hmm ... Good to know. Sometimes, they can be mealy. I love nectarines, so will give them a try. Thanks, OP.

Yeah, they're expensive. However, summer fruit is like a yearly thing (extravaganza) for me. My food bills go up in the summer. But it's worth it, IMO. If I can afford cherries, etc., I will buy them.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2024 10:42 PM

I bought mine with a digital coupon, r5. They were $1.79 a pound.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2024 10:42 PM

Haha, OP, you're so right, happily so. And I hadn't tasted a flavorful, juicy peach or nectarine in some years.

Watermelons are great this year, as well, plus black plums and the figs I've harvested this year from our tree.

Two weeks ago I canned three 16 oz Mason jars of figs. Early last week my Dad's caregiver told me her friend was fiending for fresh figs, so I picked 3.5 gallon bags of figs and sent them to the friend, who immediately jarred them, and made fresh scratch biscuits for her family, who killed those fig preserves within 5 days.

Love me some fresh produce.

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2024 10:42 PM

I've had some sweet and juicy plums lately.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2024 10:42 PM

Watermelon is pretty reliable, every summer. IMO. Cherries, too.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2024 10:43 PM

All the fruit this summers seems to be great. Cherries, watermelon, and especially strawberries have been awesome this summer. Surprisingly the cherries have had the lowest price in years. The strawberries and cantaloupe have been especially great. I've eaten so many of the strawberries and cantaloupe this year and every single bite has been perfect. Honeydews too. It's just been a great season.

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2024 10:46 PM

Hm, might buy myself a few. Perhaps wear my white flannel trousers, walk on the beach. Part my hair behind, listen to some mermaid bitches

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2024 10:49 PM

Except for maybe a week when they are on sale, around here, I'm used to paying about $6.00 per pound. I never cared. They are my favorite food and I eat pounds of them in the summer. I allow myself that every year. However, this year the price has hovered around $2.89 per pound. The whole season. Which is incredible. I wonder why. A surplus?

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2024 10:51 PM

Strawberries are usually a disappointment, IMO. They're not sweet enough. I need to try wild strawberries. Supposedly, they're really good and like a whole different fruit (vs. commercially-grown strawberries).

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2024 10:55 PM

Peach chutney!

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2024 10:58 PM

The problem with strawberries is once they're refrigerated they change flavor and texture. go to a pick your own and pick a variety in the state of ripeness.

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2024 11:57 PM

Peach cobbler!

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2024 12:03 AM

R17, last week I made a cobbler with fresh peaches and cherries. Didn't have enough of either for an entire cobbler, so I shot the moon and did 1/2 of each.

Went over HUGE, so I pretended it was an actual recipe, and not a desperation dessert.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2024 1:47 AM

I bought peaches two weeks ago and they were flavorless. I bought apricots last week and they were also bad. Not going for three strikes this week with nectarines. I'm going to stick with blueberries which for me are more consistently good..

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2024 1:52 AM

My boyfriend spanked me and fed me a nectarine.

I came and went to heaven

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2024 2:13 AM

I cant buy a good one to save my life... hard, tart, dry... never sweet and yummy. : (

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2024 3:22 AM

I just bought two nectarines from Safeway, but they're sitting in the fridge right now.

I might eat one later.

I've noticed that the Bing cherries have been abundant this Summer, and they're quite plump and juicy.

I've been eating them since early June.

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2024 5:46 PM

The Mackinaw Peaches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2024 6:42 PM

I made a nectarine and raspberry galette from the beautiful nectarines I bought. It was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2024 9:32 PM

I don't bother with peaches because I hate the fuzziness but I LOVE nectarines. Just had one.

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2024 9:53 PM

Why are fruits better this simmer?

by Anonymousreply 26July 14, 2024 10:05 PM

R2, ew.

by Anonymousreply 27July 14, 2024 11:40 PM

R2, this is why I can’t stand women—the presumptuous cutesyness.

by Anonymousreply 28July 14, 2024 11:41 PM

Yes!

Last year's peaches were all mealy garbage! This year even the cheaper yellow peaches are juicy and delicious! Nothing makes me happier than a good peach.

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2024 12:45 AM

r27 and r28 are bitter, dried up ancient unhappy queens

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2024 5:54 AM

Raspberry and blackberries are also very good this summer.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2024 12:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!