Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Portrait of a Lady (1996)

This summer, I thought it would be fun to discuss the period film The Portrait of a Lady. After a young American woman inherits a fortune, she travels to Europe where she soon becomes victim of Machiavellian scheming by two American expatriates.

Based on the classic novel by Henry James

Directed by Jane Champion (The Piano, The Power of the Dog)

Music by Wojciech Kilar, with selections from Bach, Strauss, and Schubert

Costumes and Production Design by Janet Patterson

Nicole Kidman, Barbara Hershey, John Malkovich, Shelley Winters, Mary-Louise Parker, Martin Donovan, Richard E. Grant, Shelley Duvall, Christian Bale, Viggo Mortensen, Valentina Cervi, Roger Ashton-Griffiths, and SIR JOHN GIELGUD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2024 11:12 PM

It IS The Portrait of a Lady!

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2024 4:18 PM

One of my favorite novels. James has great prose, but his books are hard to put on film.

The Heiress is a classic, The Golden Bowl admirable, The Bostonians poignant, and this one is delightful.

by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2024 4:19 PM

James Cellan Jones directed an adaptation of The Portrait of a Lady with Richard Chamberlain and Suzanne Neve. He also directed The Forsyte Saga with Eric Porter.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2024 4:26 PM

OMG! Nicole's original face!

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2024 4:44 PM

Gielgud was like 100 in this film

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2024 5:05 PM

M was originally signed for the Barbara Hershey role but dropped out for some reason. Would have been another nomination probably.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2024 5:11 PM

Great film. I love Barbara Hershey in it. And the soundtrack is insane. Especially the closing track.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2024 5:13 PM

Amazing performance in it by Barbara Hershey as the conflicted Madame Merle. She should have won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2024 5:13 PM

Hershey was great, but had extraordinary hard competition for Best Supporting Actress:

Juliette Binoche for The English Patient

Lauren Bacall in The Mirror Has Two Faces

Joan Allen in The Crucible

Marianne Jean-Baptiste in Secrets & Lies

For Best Actress, Frances McDormand won for Fargo.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2024 5:28 PM

It is similar to Dangerous Liaisons

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2024 5:29 PM

Great movie. If you want another great period piece try Moll Flanders with Robin Wright and Stockard Channing.

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2024 5:42 PM

Thanks DL, now I have to watch this movie-never saw it. I read the HJ novel, realized I never read "Turn of the Screw". Henry James week at the beach, Thanks!!

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2024 6:01 PM

R12 It is great. Have you seen The Bostonians too?

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2024 6:50 PM

The Bostonians and The Golden Bowl too.

Who knew Nick Nolte could play a Gilded age robber baron so well? Who knew Nick could act?

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2024 7:51 PM

What about Washington Square?

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2024 7:57 PM

Read the book and the 1997 version with JJL. However, The Heiress is flawless, there isn't a bad part in that movie.

Olivia, Monty, Miriam and Ralph Richardson (who I would have shot) were all good.

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2024 8:38 PM

The Europeans with Lee Remick is good, too

by Anonymousreply 17July 12, 2024 9:53 PM

Washington Square was a beautiful movie that just seem to come out of the blue.

by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2024 9:54 PM

I didn't care for the film, except for Hershey, who was stellar. Kidman is too cold an actress for the lead but the real problem is Malkovich, who is such an obvious creep as Gilbert that you feel Isabel has to be a complete dolt to find him attractive or appealing. This film also has a dreadful performance from Mary Louise Parker as Henrietta.

James Maxwell, who played Gilbert in the above-mentioned BBC version with Chamberlain, was a much better Gilbert.

The WASHINGTON SQUARE movie with JLL is rather flat IMO, and JLL is miscast in the lead.

I find both THE EUROPEANS and THE BOSTONIANS pretty dry, except for some of the performances (primarily Remick and Redgrave).

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2024 10:10 PM

Jesus Christ. Go watch fucking Porky's then.

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2024 10:12 PM

If I remember correctly, the premiere featured one of the only times Kidman wore heals in the presence of then-husband Cruise… theory was that he gifted that to her, lol.

by Anonymousreply 21July 12, 2024 11:10 PM

Heal before Zod!

by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2024 11:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!