Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shelley Duvall is DEAD TO ME

DEAD AT 75

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 16, 2024 4:40 AM

She had a great tale but couldn’t live forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2024 3:20 PM

End of an era.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2024 3:21 PM

That's sad to me. I wish she'd done an autobiography. You know she saw some shit

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2024 3:22 PM

Who gets her stuff?

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2024 3:24 PM

I hope she went out swinging that bat.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2024 3:25 PM

Bless. Those last years must have been really hard.

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2024 3:26 PM

Aw. I loved her work.

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2024 3:30 PM

Who am I going to talk to now that she's gone?

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2024 3:30 PM

[quote] Who gets her stuff?

She gave off serious hoarder/cat lady vibes. I hope Robert just dumps everything and sets a bonfire to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2024 3:33 PM

R4 what stuff? The contents of her used Toyota?

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2024 3:34 PM

She was amazing in Three Women.

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2024 3:35 PM

R5 wins the thread and you may shut it down now.

by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2024 3:35 PM

Who would've thought that Jack Nicholson would outlive her.

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2024 3:38 PM

Died from diabetes complications. So did Penny Marshall and she was a stage 3 cancer survivor.

I need to get my act together. 😮

by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2024 3:38 PM

Damn, this one hurts. She was one of my favorites. Loved her in the Altmans especially: Brewster McCloud, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Thieves Like Us, Nashville, 3 Women, Popeye.

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2024 3:40 PM

Robin saved her a seat next to him in heaven, R8.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2024 3:40 PM

GodDAMN it!!!

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2024 3:41 PM

Predictions for the next two celebrity deaths- Teri Garr and Julie Hagerty

by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2024 3:47 PM

Why do people WANT celebrities to die in threes?

What the hell is wrong with them?

by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2024 3:49 PM

This one is a real bummer. She was one of my favorite actresses. There was nobody else quite like her. McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Nashville, Brewster McCloud, 3 Women, The Shining... all unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2024 3:50 PM

Didn't Dr Phil publicly shame her. He is such a hateful idiot

by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2024 3:51 PM

RIP Shelley! She was one of the greats in the 70s. Love so many of her films

by Anonymousreply 22July 11, 2024 3:51 PM

Duvall was an artistically-driven person, but she was not a trained actor.

She was just someone in California who found her way through the film business, via the Robert Altman school.

It must have been traumatising for a wistful, creative going from the freedom and expression of a Altman set to the rigid demands of Kubrick.

There was one moment that spoke to his arrogance and petulance. She asked to speak to him in private. He made this big song-and-dance about how extremely busy he was (hilarious because his process often lent to films going months over schedule) and demanded that she tell him now, with other people around. She told him that she couldn't shoot the scene where Nicholson drags her because she was having her period. He paused and asked an assistant for a nurse to come to set. When the nurse was finished, she gave Duvall a week off.

by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2024 3:52 PM

Has Jack Nicholson released a statement?

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2024 3:54 PM

It seemed clear during the whole Dr. Phil debacle that not only was Shelley not in good health, mentally and physically. She was very overweight and smoking throughout the clips I saw. She didn't look or sound good. The reports are saying she died in her sleep due to diabetes complications. My guess is she had uncontrolled type 2 and her heart probably shut down. My grandfather was a type 1 (I also was cursed with this condition unfortunately) and he died the same way. His blood sugar ran chronically high for decades, and eventually he went to sleep one night and didn't wake up.

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2024 3:58 PM

Every time a celebrity death is mentioned, Teri Garr’s name pops up as being next in line. It must disappoint the poster that she’s still here.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2024 3:59 PM

I loved that Red Letter Media opened their discussion on "Popeye" by claiming (rightly) that Duvall was born to play Olive Oyl and speculating that no other actor was so appreciably cast as a pre-existing character.

"It's the reason the universe exists. God created the universe so that Shelley Duvall could play Olive Oyl in a live-action musical adaptation of a cartoon that was really a comic strip that nobody remembers."

She's so right that - it didn't matter who directed it - Duvall would have been first choice. What is peculiar was that Altman was ever selected as director.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 11, 2024 4:02 PM

R25, she was schizophrenic.

by Anonymousreply 28July 11, 2024 4:03 PM

Smoking will lead to diabetes. She was seriously mentally ill and I doubt she was taking care of herself.

by Anonymousreply 29July 11, 2024 4:04 PM

Love this tribute by the Austin Film society. RIP Shelley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 11, 2024 4:04 PM

How did Dan Gilroy stay with her? Can you imagine the stench? Is he just as batshit crazy and she was?

by Anonymousreply 31July 11, 2024 4:04 PM

Is Doug Sheehan not the first of the presumed death Trifecta?? Did he even get a DL DOUG SHEEHAN IS DEAD TO ME thread?

by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2024 4:05 PM

I always thought she was a good actress, but really not attractive at all.

by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2024 4:07 PM

Don't feel like you have to do it on our account, R14.

Especially since this isn't about you. If it were we wouldn't be here.

by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2024 4:08 PM

Dan Gilroy must be a total mensch. All of us should be so lucky to have a loyal partner like that

by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2024 4:09 PM

Shelley Duvall brought depth to characters by seeming transparent. That's a rare gift.

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2024 4:09 PM

R29 I've never heard of smoking leading to diabetes, but it is rough on your circulatory system which is not something a diabetic needs to add to their medical woes. Type 1 diabetes is autoimmune in nature, where the immune system destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This usually happens in childhood but can happen at any age, and you cannot do anything to reverse it other than inject insulin to manage your blood sugar. Type 2 is where your pancreas produces a surplus of insulin but your cells are resistant to utilizing it. T2 is often weight-related (though not always) and in a lot of cases can be managed with exercise/diet, though some take oral meds and in certain cases insulin is needed.

by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2024 4:15 PM

She should have had the 1977 best actress Oscar (3 Women)—but was not even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2024 4:19 PM

[quote]She's so right that - it didn't matter who directed it - Duvall would have been first choice.

She wasn't, r27.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2024 4:25 PM

This makes me sad (a) because I thought she was fabulous and (b) I had absolutely no idea until reading her obit that she was born in my hometown, Fort Worth (her family moved to Houston when she was 5). RIP, Shelley.

by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2024 4:27 PM

Passed away 4 days after her birthday. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2024 4:29 PM

She was a sweetheart and an incredible actress--- I wish her the best eternity-

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2024 4:35 PM

I hope she had a party, or at least some cake.

by Anonymousreply 43July 11, 2024 4:35 PM

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall.

by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2024 4:37 PM

Shelley and Donald Sutherland were two of the most unique and quirky actors from the 70-80s, and we lost both of them just weeks apart.

These next few years when all the greats from that era start leaving us is going to be excruciating.

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2024 4:38 PM

R39, actually the first choice was Lily Tomlin.

by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote] Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall.

No you’re not! She’s dead! Bwaaaaaaaah.

by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2024 4:42 PM

[quote] the most unique

by Anonymousreply 48July 11, 2024 4:43 PM

It's been an hour, and someone's already commented "Goodbye, I'm Shelley Duvall" on this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 11, 2024 4:43 PM

I never noticed this in The Shining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 11, 2024 4:44 PM

R31 in recent interviews it stated that Shelley was staying most of the time in her car, despite both of them sharing a house. I think he became more her caretaker than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2024 4:44 PM

r31 I think so. I think both were homeless for a time.

I think he must have just went batshit crazy to know the woman he was banging at one time (Madonna) became one of the most famous and successful people ever.

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2024 4:46 PM

She was a hoot in The Portrait of a Lady

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 11, 2024 4:48 PM

R18, why are you guessing Julie Hagerty?

by Anonymousreply 54July 11, 2024 4:49 PM

I grew up watching her on 'Faerie Tale Theater' and discovered her film work in my teens; she was an incredible talent (her work in '3 Women' is my favorite screen performance of all time) with a highly evolved, unique sense of personal style and a beautifully expressive face that the camera adored. It deeply saddens me that she struggled so much in the later part of her life. She seemed like an absolute sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 55July 11, 2024 4:49 PM

Her work in 3 Women is so deceptively brilliant - Millie is so annoying on the surface but the layers and pathos that Altman captures under that are endless. It's such a great film.

by Anonymousreply 56July 11, 2024 4:57 PM

Died in her sleep, lucky woman.

by Anonymousreply 57July 11, 2024 4:59 PM

Very sad to hear this. She was unique.

Lily Tomlin is great, but no Olive Oyl.

by Anonymousreply 58July 11, 2024 5:03 PM

She seemed sad...She was a wonderful Olive Oil...strange looking, which goes to show she had enough talent to overcome her looks. Did The Shining really do her in?

by Anonymousreply 59July 11, 2024 5:07 PM

I'll be honest. Every movie of hers my friends and I went to with her in it, we thought she was terrible, and laughed at her. I'm willing to re-visit a couple, but I just didn't get her. She seemed nutty and not on purpose. ON the other hand, she seemed sweet and harmless.

by Anonymousreply 60July 11, 2024 5:09 PM

We also laughed at Faye Dunaway's over-the-top histrionics. The 70s were a time.

by Anonymousreply 61July 11, 2024 5:11 PM

She seemed to have had a lot of torment to go through. I’m sorry she’s gone.

by Anonymousreply 62July 11, 2024 5:11 PM

She had her Razzie nomination revoked a few years ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 11, 2024 5:18 PM

Mia Goth reminds me of Shelley.

by Anonymousreply 64July 11, 2024 5:19 PM

Excellent actress. Batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 65July 11, 2024 5:21 PM

Maybe she’s just shapeshifting

by Anonymousreply 66July 11, 2024 5:28 PM

I miss the days of batshit crazy actresses with substance abuse problems.

by Anonymousreply 67July 11, 2024 5:36 PM

I loved Shelly in everything she was in. I believed her in each role. She transcended being Shelly and WAS the character. I mean she’s in Annie Hall so briefly but you remember her as that walked out groupie journalist for Rolling Stone babbling about Bob Dylan. She had amazing eyes. She was BORN to play Olive Oil. She maintained her fear throughout The Shining. Just an amazing actress who helped define the 70’s film aesthetic. She worked with so many amazing directors. Kubrick, Scorsese, Allen, DePalma, Altman…. Yes I do wish she had written a book. She did leave behind work that is respected and enjoyed. May she rest.

by Anonymousreply 68July 11, 2024 5:38 PM

R67 I agree!

by Anonymousreply 69July 11, 2024 5:39 PM

*wacked not walked!

by Anonymousreply 70July 11, 2024 5:40 PM

^maybe there's a manuscript somewhere in there under all the telephone books and kitty litter, r68.

by Anonymousreply 71July 11, 2024 5:40 PM

I sometimes think of Robert Stack saying that Lauren Bacall told him after a scene in Written On the Wind (something like), "You didn't just act crazy, you were crazy."

by Anonymousreply 72July 11, 2024 5:42 PM

She really was perfectly cast as Olive Oyl. I loved that movie when I was a gayling.

by Anonymousreply 73July 11, 2024 5:42 PM

That image in R63 creeps me out, knowing the back story of how she was tormented on the set of the Shining. That is not acting on her face. I mean, it is, yes. But Kubrick wore his actors down with 100s of takes, psychological warfare, just so he could get extremely real moments like the one you see on her face, which I am sure is a form of terror for her in that moment. But going on 45 years later and that image still resonates like no other. So maybe it was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 74July 11, 2024 5:43 PM

[quote]I miss the days of batshit crazy actresses with substance abuse problems.

It sure made the Oscar Awards more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 75July 11, 2024 5:43 PM

^ by the way you cannot get your body to shake and tremble like hers does in the Shining just by acting alone. You either have to have the chops to summon that level or terror in yourself, convince yourself of it, or if you're like Shelly be terrified and on the brink.

by Anonymousreply 76July 11, 2024 5:45 PM

[quote]But Kubrick wore his actors down with 100s of takes, psychological warfare, just so he could get extremely real moments like the one you see on her face

He wasn’t the only one. For The Heiress, William Wyler packed suitcases full of heavy books and made DL fave Olivia de Havilland carry them up the stairs for numerous takes until she was completely exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 77July 11, 2024 5:47 PM

Is Sean Young the last of the real crazy ones, or have there been batshit crazy ones since her? I will never forget my grandmother laughing hysterical when during a pre-TMZ type "on the street" interview where Sean Yong was walking some stone fence being harassed by a reporter and she told the reporter to "EAT MY SQUIRELL!"

by Anonymousreply 78July 11, 2024 5:48 PM

The fact that she got a Razzie nomination for one of the best performances of 1980 shows that John Wilson has been trolling with an agenda since the beginning. Whatever you think of that movie (I happen to think it's brilliant) there was nothing but skill and talent behind Shelley's performance in it. She should have been nominated for an Oscar for it. It was a tight category that year, but I think she should have been in there over the always overrated Ellen Burstyn and the bullshit Resurrection.

[quote] She should have had the 1977 best actress Oscar (3 Women)—but was not even nominated.

I don't think she would have won in that category, nor do I think there was room for her (although any time you can kick the supremely one note Marsha Mason out for playing Marsha Mason, I think one should). What I think they should have done was push her for supporting. It was an ensemble (though Duvall's role was the largest of the three and the film most focused on her). However, I have seen way more egregious category fraud nominations (and wins) pre and post 1977. And there was so much dross in the Supporting Actress category (Leslie Browne?????, Tuesday Weld, Quinn Cummings, Melinda Dillon- which ranged from WTF to good, but not Oscar worthy) that I think the reason Redgrave got it was because even though everyone hated her, they couldn't bear to give it to anyone else. Not sure Shelley would have beaten Redgrave, but she would have given her a good run for her money.

by Anonymousreply 79July 11, 2024 5:48 PM

Well said r68

by Anonymousreply 80July 11, 2024 5:51 PM

Well of course he wasn't R77. Directors can be as untrained as actors I guess when it comes to getting performances out of actors. Some directors know how to do it without tormenting the talent, others, that's all they know. Stanley was first and foremost a photographer, not an actor's director. But most infamously of course was Hitchcock throwing birds at Tippi Hedron until she just about had a break down. And making Kim Novak walk back and forth in high heels while he filmed countless closeups. A real freak.

by Anonymousreply 81July 11, 2024 5:52 PM

r79, Vanessa was luminous in Julia.

by Anonymousreply 82July 11, 2024 5:52 PM

R76 I don't think you've ever acted, because that's what acting usually is. You don't just "act like" what you're supposed to be feeling, or doing, on a surface level. Especially screen acting. You have to get yourself to believe it and your body responds as if it's really happening to you.

by Anonymousreply 83July 11, 2024 5:53 PM

[quote] And making Kim Novak walk back and forth in high heels while he filmed countless closeups. A real freak.

Was this something in a movie, because I never heard Novak mention feeling traumatized by anything like this.

by Anonymousreply 84July 11, 2024 5:55 PM

Did I condemn her performance, R82?

by Anonymousreply 85July 11, 2024 5:55 PM

By that I mean, a movie about Hitchcock?

by Anonymousreply 86July 11, 2024 5:55 PM

[quote] Sean Yong was walking some stone fence

Sum Ting Wong.

by Anonymousreply 87July 11, 2024 5:57 PM

[quote]Is Sean Young the last of the real crazy ones, or have there been batshit crazy ones since her?

Mia Farrow is still with us.

by Anonymousreply 88July 11, 2024 5:58 PM

R83, trained actor here from Tisch School of the Arts, so actually I am probably more trained than most people here in this thread, I am guessing. There are definitely things you act, things you have never experienced before. People act high, they act drunk, they don't engender those actually feelings inside themselves. Terror is a very dangerous thing to tap into because you can't just let it go. Trained actors don't have to actually be terrified to play terrified. But untrained actors have to push themselves all the way to that point, playing mind games to engender real fight or flight instincts in themselves that they are no longer in control of. That is the dangerous part, because that emotion races through you well after CUT. You take it home if you don't know how to let it go. That's why people like Heath Leadger end up in such dark places, after having lived in darkness for months and months on end without the training to know how to let it go when the day is done.

by Anonymousreply 89July 11, 2024 5:59 PM

R88, Last in meaning the youngest, not just the one who is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 90July 11, 2024 5:59 PM

[quote]Did I condemn her performance, [R82]?

You didn't make it sound outstanding, r85.

[quote]that I think the reason Redgrave got it was because even though everyone hated her, they couldn't bear to give it to anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 91July 11, 2024 6:00 PM

R89 You're not more qualified than me, I have an MFA in acting.

by Anonymousreply 92July 11, 2024 6:03 PM

[quote]There are definitely things you act, things you have never experienced before.

Damn, we have to get a new Romeo & Juliet for every performance. This killing the actors every performance doesn’t seem to be working out the way we thought it would.

By the way, how is casting for Sweeney Todd going?

by Anonymousreply 93July 11, 2024 6:03 PM

I did not like Heath Ledger in his role as “Joker”.

by Anonymousreply 94July 11, 2024 6:04 PM

By the way, R76, you're not wrong, I think I just misunderstood your post. Really should have just shut up.

by Anonymousreply 95July 11, 2024 6:05 PM

Lord, we have people with MFAs posting here.

by Anonymousreply 96July 11, 2024 6:07 PM

[quote]By the way, how is casting for Sweeney Todd going?

Bloody well.

by Anonymousreply 97July 11, 2024 6:07 PM

[quote]Lord, we have people with MFAs posting here.

So high falutin'!

by Anonymousreply 98July 11, 2024 6:09 PM

Haha! I would never have mentioned it except that other person was flashing his qualifications at me.

by Anonymousreply 99July 11, 2024 6:11 PM

RIP Shelley

The YouTube clip is her Annie Hall appearance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 11, 2024 6:12 PM

goodbye, i'm no longer shelley duvall, i am an orb of golden light

by Anonymousreply 101July 11, 2024 6:12 PM

[quote]i am an orb of golden light

You always were, Shelley...

by Anonymousreply 102July 11, 2024 6:14 PM

[Quote] , she was schizophrenic.

So does that manifest itself in early life, or lie dormant? Because I thought schizophrenics had a very hard time holding down a real job, but she worked actively throughout the 80s and even produced a series.

by Anonymousreply 103July 11, 2024 6:14 PM

It sounded like the town she was living in was really protective of her especially after the Dr. Phil debacle. Her mother died of Covid a few years back and she did a small movie and seemed like she wanted to slowly start acting again. I’m glad she had her partner and a community that embraced her.

by Anonymousreply 104July 11, 2024 6:14 PM

Not an MFA r96, just a lowly BFA. But I do know a lot about acting having worked in casting for a long time after that. I do have some idea of what it takes. And being able to tell whether an actor who gives one great audition is able to recreate it because they are using training or if they just got lucky in that moment. I love acting and actors, and I love seeing a brilliant performance, big or small. Sometimes certain scenes take my breath away. And I love seeing an actor act a scene we have seen in a million different ways but bring something absolutely new to it. Like Evan Rachel Wood in this death scene from West World, start at the 3:50 mark. It's a death scene in a western no less, about as pat as it can get. But her type of reaction I have never seen before, and seems absolutely real and believable in that moment. And even though she's a robot of sorts, they didn't act like robots. Her reaction is shock like I've never seen it.

Last comment, don't mean to derail. I love Shelley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 11, 2024 6:22 PM

You didn't make it sound outstanding, [R85].

Clearly you're either very young or you have a shitty memory. People didn't hate Redgrave because of her performance, they hated her because she was vocally supporting Palestine during that time. And in fact, when she won, she made a pro-PLO speech instead of just saying thank you. It so incensed Paddy Chayefsky that when he presented an award later in the ceremony, he publicly condemned her at the podium.

I believe that if there was a performance that was as worthy as Redgrave's that year that had been nominated, she may have lost because of her support for Palestine.

by Anonymousreply 106July 11, 2024 6:29 PM

Redgrave was ahead of her time.

by Anonymousreply 107July 11, 2024 6:31 PM

She was wrong before her time.

by Anonymousreply 108July 11, 2024 6:34 PM

[quote]The fact that she got a Razzie nomination for one of the best performances of 1980 shows that John Wilson has been trolling with an agenda since the beginning

The Shining got mixed reviews when it was first released. The best-selling book was still fresh in many peoples minds, and there were quite a few who felt the movie was a letdown from it. It didn't help that Stephen King publicly trashed it as well.

It's only ben over the last twenty or so years, that it's reputation has been redeemed.

by Anonymousreply 109July 11, 2024 6:36 PM

[Quote] And in fact, when she won, she made a pro-PLO speech instead of just saying thank you.

This of course is complete nonsense. What she said was, she thanked the academy for standing up to a bunch of Zionist hoodlums — because she supported Palestinian autonomy, a bunch of Zionist thugs (and is there any other kind?) worked to defeat her in the voting, and protested outside the ceremony.

She later went on to say she also fought against antisemitism — because (as usual), zionofascists equate anti-fascism with antisemitism.

by Anonymousreply 110July 11, 2024 6:37 PM

I know, R109, I was around when it came out. That's why I said "no matter what you think of the film"

There have been many films 100x worse than The Shining which have contained amazing, Oscar-worthy performances. One should be able to separate the two.

by Anonymousreply 111July 11, 2024 6:38 PM

You say it's nonsense, R110, then you go on to prove my point.

Go back to getting your information from Tik Tok

by Anonymousreply 112July 11, 2024 6:39 PM

[quote]She later went on to say she also fought against antisemitism

Not when she was begging Public Theatre patrons for donations for the Palestinians she wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 113July 11, 2024 6:40 PM

But I don't think it was "an agenda" that got her nominated R111 A lot of people didn't care for the movie as a whole at the time.

There were ten nominees that year as well. I think if there had been five she wouldn't have made the cut. But since there were ten, she slipped in there. Nancy Allen got a nomination and Dressed to Kill received some raves.

Worst Actress

Brooke Shields – The Blue Lagoon as Emmeline Lestrange

Nancy Allen – Dressed to Kill as Liz Blake

Faye Dunaway – The First Deadly Sin as Barbara Delaney

Shelley Duvall – The Shining as Wendy Torrance

Farrah Fawcett – Saturn 3 as Alex

Sondra Locke – Bronco Billy as Antoinette Lily

Olivia Newton-John – Xanadu as Kira

Valerie Perrine – Can't Stop the Music as Samantha Simpson

Deborah Raffin – Touched by Love as Lena Canada (nominated for Golden Globe for same role)

Talia Shire – Windows as Emily Hollander

by Anonymousreply 114July 11, 2024 6:44 PM

She wasn't wrong.

by Anonymousreply 115July 11, 2024 6:56 PM

I used to think she was, but I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 116July 11, 2024 6:57 PM

The 2016 Dr. Phil interview was awful. Her mental illness was on full display and had I not been told it was her, I wouldn't have recognized her. QEPD.

by Anonymousreply 117July 11, 2024 6:58 PM

[quote] It so incensed Paddy Chayefsky that when he presented an award later in the ceremony, he publicly condemned her at the podium.

Chayefsky was the original Mary!

It's rather sad that the supposed SATIRIST OF OUR AGE's attack amounted to the bizarre demand that politics and entertainment be separated.

Smooth move, genius.

Oh, and he acted like a totally beta bitch before AND after the ceremony, too.

It's known that he blackballed Redgrave (who had previously worked with Lumet) from being cast in "Network" because of her politics.

Then, after the ceremony, he gave her the silent treatment like a mean girl when she attempted to speak with him and was seething like a sad little bitch that she had the temerity to go to an after-party.

by Anonymousreply 118July 11, 2024 7:10 PM

Awww, she lived in a cute town outside Austin called Blanco and everyone was very protective of her. Sad news.

by Anonymousreply 119July 11, 2024 7:12 PM

RIP....

by Anonymousreply 120July 11, 2024 7:23 PM

[Quote] Not when she was begging Public Theatre patrons for donations for the Palestinians she wasn’t.

I was responding to the lie that she gave a “pro-PLO” speech at the Oscars. Do keep up.

by Anonymousreply 121July 11, 2024 7:24 PM

[Quote] You say it's nonsense, [R110], then you go on to prove my point.

Are you mentally retarded? Thanking the academy for not being pressured by shitstains who want to unperson you for your political beliefs is not a “pro-PLO” speech.

by Anonymousreply 122July 11, 2024 7:25 PM

Awwwww.

Her Millie is the patron saint of every try hard Tasteful Friend who’s never quite made it : (

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 11, 2024 7:26 PM

[quote]Unperson you

r122, how old are you? 22?

by Anonymousreply 124July 11, 2024 8:17 PM

She was jolie-laide when you, model-thin with a face unlike anyone else's. To comment on her looks with anything but appreciative superlatives is more superficial and than is snarking.

by Anonymousreply 125July 11, 2024 8:23 PM

Will the Academy remember to include her at next year's Oscars In Memoriam segment?

by Anonymousreply 126July 11, 2024 8:25 PM

R121 I am not sure how saying “because she supported Palestinian autonomy” is much different than a pro PLO speech. I guess it’s kinda like saying I don’t support slavery but I’m not an Abolitionist. She supported the cause but not the people waging it? Is that what you’re saying? If so, you’re really splitting hairs. To come out on the biggest stage in the world and say something like that without making it clear exactly what you mean, I’m not sure how else she expected people to take it.

by Anonymousreply 127July 11, 2024 8:32 PM

was she pergnint ?

by Anonymousreply 128July 11, 2024 8:38 PM

R124 it’s what the kids these days say on their TikTok, Instagram and YouTube feeds so they don’t get demonetized by the platform for using the word “murdered” or “killed.” It’s dumb if used anywhere else. And it’s usually “unalive” someone. Unperson is a new one to me. Sounds more like degradation than murder.

by Anonymousreply 129July 11, 2024 8:38 PM

[quote]Is Sean Young the last of the real crazy ones, or have there been batshit crazy ones since her?

Kitty Winn is still with us.

by Anonymousreply 130July 11, 2024 8:42 PM

Dan Gilroy is obviously well used to lunatic women.

by Anonymousreply 131July 11, 2024 8:49 PM

R131, did he also date Mia Farrow?

by Anonymousreply 132July 11, 2024 8:54 PM

Shelley Duvall, a great actress.

RIP

by Anonymousreply 133July 11, 2024 8:56 PM

Hey, Susan Dey, what do you say?

by Anonymousreply 134July 11, 2024 8:57 PM

[quote] Hey, Susan Dey, what do you say?

Apparently “Has Jack Nicholson released a statement?”

See R24.

by Anonymousreply 135July 11, 2024 8:59 PM

I adored her.

RIP Shelley🌷

by Anonymousreply 136July 11, 2024 9:03 PM

She had no ass but couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 137July 11, 2024 9:09 PM

[Quote] [R122], how old are you? 22?

That response is even more juvenile than your latest bumbling cosplay, “Kitty Duke.”

by Anonymousreply 138July 11, 2024 9:12 PM

^^^ kittydyke

by Anonymousreply 139July 11, 2024 9:12 PM

I almost died..

by Anonymousreply 140July 11, 2024 9:25 PM

💕 3 Women

by Anonymousreply 141July 11, 2024 9:30 PM

Doug Sheehan was the first, the kid from ALF was the second, and Duvall is the third. Terri Garr can rest easy now.

by Anonymousreply 142July 11, 2024 9:31 PM

The kid from Alf died?

by Anonymousreply 143July 11, 2024 9:34 PM

R21 Only on DL would this be known 😆.

by Anonymousreply 144July 11, 2024 9:35 PM

[quote] Why do people WANT celebrities to die in threes?

They know the deal.

by Anonymousreply 145July 11, 2024 9:38 PM

r129 I'm familiar with "unalive" but like you "unperson" is new to me.

These kids and their need for social media dopamine.

by Anonymousreply 146July 11, 2024 9:40 PM

[quote]Why do people WANT celebrities to die in threes?

It’s getting weird though. They don’t have to die within hours of each other. I think you can count Donald Sutherland and Shelley Duval together. You don’t have to throw in the kid from Alf to round it out.

by Anonymousreply 147July 11, 2024 9:52 PM

The kid from ALF actually died 4 weeks ago, it's just getting reported now. And Sheehan died two weeks before it was reported.

So maybe Shelley is the beginning of a new trio.

Terri, girl. You in danger.

by Anonymousreply 148July 11, 2024 9:54 PM

R114: So much competition that year. I forgot about "Can't Stop the Music".

by Anonymousreply 149July 11, 2024 10:04 PM

R114, I should clarify what I meant about an agenda. Yes, everything is subjective when it comes to good, bad, mediocre... but Wilson seemed to glom on to films that were excoriated or stars who have been excoriated in the past and then just keep nominating them (or awarding them) whether or not they deserved it. He likes his punching bags and he also prefers to make jokes out of category nominees rather than to actually nominate on non-merit. He has done this more and more over the years, and whereas he was not necessarily doing that as much in the early years, he definitely had some sort of nascent agenda. He wanted to burn The Shining- so why was it only up for two Razzies? No Worst Picture. And if you're going to shit on a performance, then why not pick the one that the majority of critics didn't like- Nicholson's. A lot of people felt he went way over the top. But Shelley Duvall did not get that level of criticism at all. So why pick on her?

I know it sounds like I'm taking a set of joke awards and trying to imbue them with some importance; no one should be taking the Razzies seriously, but several of his early nominations were head scratchers and felt personal. And my feeling is, if you're going to do something, even as a joke, take it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 150July 11, 2024 10:06 PM

What am I... chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 151July 11, 2024 10:31 PM

[quote]Kitty Winn is still with us.

Kitty Winn was crazy, r130?

by Anonymousreply 152July 11, 2024 10:35 PM

It's not the award for "Best Actress in a great movie", it's the award for "Best Actress".

This one hurts. She had a pretty great batting average and was owed 2 Oscar nominations. One of my earliest visual memories is Fairy Tale Theater and The Shining remains one of my favorites. She's a damn scream in Nashville and Annie Hall.

by Anonymousreply 153July 12, 2024 2:29 AM

On the front page of the print edition of the NYT. Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 154July 12, 2024 11:10 AM

"She should have won the Best Actress Oscar for 3 Women..." for WHAT? Has anyone SEEN that film? It's absolutely fucking bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 155July 12, 2024 11:42 AM

"I guess she'd never seen a decorated place before.'" Lol wtf

by Anonymousreply 156July 12, 2024 11:49 AM

Too little, too late.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 12, 2024 1:02 PM

R157 Letterman really was kind of a dick to her when he had her on his show the first time. He not-so-subtlely implied she was bullshitting about her interest in science, but she calmly, intelligently proved him wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 12, 2024 2:28 PM

What a great Texas Monthly article about her life, her failures, and her love of Texas.

"When somebody recognizes you at a Dairy Queen in Texas, you’re a star."

She seemed so down to Earth and kind. The people in her small Hill Country town seemed to love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 12, 2024 3:21 PM

[quote] On the front page of the print edition of the NYT. Quelle surprise.

I'm surprised they didn't wait three years to publish it and then try to act like it was breaking news like they did the last article they wrote about her.

by Anonymousreply 160July 12, 2024 3:24 PM

There is a good Hollywood Reporter article on how her neighbors and friends in Hill Country, Texas loved her.

It won't link, but the heading is: Searching for Shelley Duvall: The Reclusive Icon on Fleeing Hollywood and the Scars of Making ‘The Shining’

by Anonymousreply 161July 12, 2024 3:25 PM

This is a fascinating and sad video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 12, 2024 3:48 PM

Texas Hill Country is beautiful. I am glad she found her way there and to a town of people who were protective of her

by Anonymousreply 163July 12, 2024 4:03 PM

[quote]R41: Passed away 4 days after her birthday. So sad.

Not as sad as a puddin' head such as you saying such a banal thing.

Better to die 182 1/2 days from one's birthday?

So sad.

by Anonymousreply 164July 12, 2024 4:45 PM

[quote]Letterman really was kind of a dick to her

Letterman was a dick to many of his guests in the early days. He toned it down a lot when he went to CBS.

by Anonymousreply 165July 12, 2024 4:48 PM

Very sad. She ruined her life.

She had almost everything at her finger tips: great film career, good personality, and good talent.

Then it all went away and she was left driving around a small town in Texas, overweight, uncontrollable diabetes, she had to be a hoarder- look at her car and they didn't want people to go to their house.

by Anonymousreply 166July 12, 2024 4:48 PM

[quote]It won't link,

Au contraire, r161.

[quote]Very sad. She ruined her life.

Mental illness changed her life, r166.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 12, 2024 5:36 PM

Watching her last interviews, it's clear that she knew what an incredible life she had lived, but I think she had had enough of this world. She was old now and her problems were too great to overcome.

I doubt she was the type to take her own life, so she let nature take its course. She probably wasn't seeing any doctors, which is why she died from diabetes complications. I think she wanted to go out like this.

by Anonymousreply 168July 12, 2024 6:01 PM

She looked wonderfully like a cuckoo.

Oh.

by Anonymousreply 169July 12, 2024 6:07 PM

She had to be a hoarder

by Anonymousreply 170July 12, 2024 6:19 PM

She was one of the true eccentrics of Hollywood and also one of the genuine sweethearts.

Fairy Tale Theater was hit-or-miss IMHO but I never got tired of her introduction to it.

I think the moment where in The Shining where she clutches Danny and screams at Jack "How could you do this to him! How could you!" is one of the great crisis-point relationship scenes in the history of film.

Their marriage was fatally over in just those few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 171July 13, 2024 1:48 AM

R3, YA THINK?

by Anonymousreply 172July 13, 2024 1:52 AM

For all of those who claim she was unattractive, a reminder that tastes in beauty change with the times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 13, 2024 1:57 AM

I always thought she was quite attractive in an offbeat, quirky kind of way. She had an interesting look about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 13, 2024 2:13 AM

She was ethereal, which can be beautiful or disturbing depending on circumstance.

by Anonymousreply 175July 13, 2024 2:30 AM

[quote] She was ethereal, which can be beautiful or disturbing depending on circumstance.

Cillian Murphy embodies that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 13, 2024 2:33 AM

[R155], No argument that “3 Women” is a very strange movie—also one-of-a-kind and quite haunting. But however you take its turn into surrealism, there is nothing that says an unconventional narrative can’t contain a great performance. (See also John Turturro in “Barton Fink” or Naomi Watts in “Mulholland Drive.”)

But specifically, Millie Lammoreaux begins as a fairly comic figure—though even at the start, as we are still laughing at her pretensions and cluelessness, I think we can sense the insecurity beneath. This gradually, eventually turns into desperation and becomes heartbreaking, and this mixture of elements seems to be unique to this actress in this part (though I was reminded of her by Elsie Fisher in “Eighth Grade,” just over 40 years later). I still think this is one of the most memorable characterizations of the 1970s (and even in what was dubbed “the year of the woman” was the most original of all).

by Anonymousreply 177July 13, 2024 2:57 AM

Her eyes are very expressive. Some of her exasperated looks at Pinky are worth a thousand words.

by Anonymousreply 178July 13, 2024 5:16 AM

R129, R146 The kids on Tik Tok use words like "unalive" because Tik Tok flags certain words that might refer to suicide, bullying, violence, etc. To avoid getting their short videos flagged for removal or hidden, they use words like "unalive" instead of "suicide", for example.

by Anonymousreply 179July 13, 2024 6:45 AM

I saw her first in Popeye when I was 10. She was perfect.

Surely she must have made a lot of money from Faerie Tale Theatre? I remember my nieces having the VHS tapes.

We watched Bernice Bobs Her Hair in high school English class. She was so good in that.

Obviously she had mental and physical health problems, but it does sound like she was surrounded by love and friendship in her last years, and lived how she wanted to live.

by Anonymousreply 180July 13, 2024 1:13 PM

Bernice Bobs Her Hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 13, 2024 1:16 PM

Men should not be ethereal.

by Anonymousreply 182July 13, 2024 4:32 PM

R173 How do you know that was supposed to be the ideal of a beautiful woman of those days?

by Anonymousreply 183July 13, 2024 4:34 PM

[quote] Men should not be ethereal.

I utterly disagree.

by Anonymousreply 184July 13, 2024 4:36 PM

R184 They shouldn't use the word "utterly", either.

by Anonymousreply 185July 13, 2024 4:40 PM

Why Julie Hagerty - is she ill?

by Anonymousreply 186July 13, 2024 4:43 PM

She had the fish....

by Anonymousreply 187July 13, 2024 5:03 PM

Shelley had beautiful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 188July 13, 2024 8:50 PM

R177 it's not that deep, and Shelley may not have known what she was doing.

But I agree, the naturalness and the oddity. It's stunning.

by Anonymousreply 189July 15, 2024 5:05 AM

Shelley was left out of the Emmy's In Memoriam segment.

by Anonymousreply 190September 16, 2024 4:20 AM

i saw that. I hope she's not left out at next year's Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 191September 16, 2024 4:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!