Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Children singled out, demonized by name in high school biology test. Racially motivted?

Vietnamese teacher from Sacramento, California goes off on a superiority complex?

[QUOTE]A Luther Burbank High School freshman was surprised to read his full name included on a biology final. Not only that, but he was being ridiculed.

[QUOTE]“In high school, there are individuals who are cross-eyed like (the name of a fellow student) and (the name of the student previously mentioned), which is a dominant trait. We call those individuals ‘weirdoes’. So, if you crossed two weirdoes (the two students named again), that are heterozygous for being cross-eyed, what is the offspring that would result?”

[QUOTE]Many students in the class were targeted by first and last name on the exam. Teacher Alex Nguyen chose to describe these students by their ethnicities and physical features, and then paired them up, posing questions about what traits a theoretical child of these two students would have. On one question, the teacher wrote a disclaimer, saying “in no way do I promote students being sexually active,” but the student’s parents and other teachers at the school said that the implication of any sexual relationship between students is inappropriate.

That's the *only* inappropriate part?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2024 2:08 PM

Let me "ugh" myself -- motivated

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2024 2:39 AM

Gosh, some people are downright insane. What sort of teacher would engage in this type of behaviour and what's even worse, how is it that the academic body didn't pre-approve the exam before it was presented to students? The teacher's actions are despicable, but there appear to be very serious communication and chain-of-command problems in that high school.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2024 3:00 AM

It gets better! Super-craxy and he's been there for a decade.

[QUOTE]One of the most shocking questions on the test was about how Black people have affected other races with their “traits.”

[QUOTE]“For some reason, the African American culture has influenced most of the student body. How? In African Americans, they have a gene for the pimp walk, which is dominant,” the question began. “What is the result if you cross (student name) homozygous dominant Latina with a homozygous recessive Hmong like (student name)?”

[QUOTE]The question stated that the dominant trait was walking with a limp and the recessive trait was normal. Nguyen also made fun of another student and included their full name in the question: “In high school, there are individuals who are cross-eyed like (the name of a fellow student) and (the name of the student previously mentioned), which is a dominant trait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2024 3:02 AM

[quote]Vietnamese teacher

Sum Ting Wong!

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2024 3:02 AM

People who are cross-eyed are NOT "weirdoes"!

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2024 3:04 AM

Whoa! This is so fucked up. A troll teacher.

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2024 3:07 AM

Milk Milk Lemonade,

Round the Corner Fudge Is Made!

Wheeeee!

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2024 3:11 AM

Who or what allowed this man to be a teacher in the first place? I hope the parents sue the crap out of this "teacher" and the Sacramento school board.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2024 3:14 AM

If you're fat and porcine, how would your very unlucky children feel about such an embarrassing phenotype and genotype such as yours in their background?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2024 3:24 AM

R2, I’ve been teaching for about 30 years. Not once has anyone looked at what tests/quizzes/exams/documents I’m using with students. In fact, not once has anyone ever asked any general questions about materials that I’m using.

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2024 3:40 AM

Dafuck???

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2024 3:43 AM

Has Covid made people a little fucked up in the head. Like really. I read a story today how a woman pulled up to a fast food joint. Argued with the woman working the drive thru. The employee went outside to take a break and then was shot by the woman in the same vehicle. She died at the hospital. This was all caught on video which everyone knows is everywhere nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2024 3:51 AM

I think it has. People are acting impulsively and without any critical assessment of the aftereffects of their decisions. It’s like the world has turned into a bunch of three year olds.

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2024 6:59 AM

We shall see WTF happens, right?

by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2024 7:25 AM

Alex Nguyen's broad nose suggests he has African American parentage, likely a black grandfather via American black GI soldier during the Vietnam conflict.

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2024 7:48 AM

The teacher sounds like a Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2024 8:06 AM

R12 It does appear to have accelerated some downward societal trends.

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2024 8:09 AM

[quote]The teacher sounds like a Datalounger

T&A - Tina and Alcohol. Or kernicterus...notice how the whites of his eyes match his skin tone compared to his teeth. 😕

by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2024 8:28 AM

I clocked the teacher as a datalounger too. I can't understand why nobody in this very long and poorly written article has twigged that the problem is not lack of cultural sensitivity training or a culture of racism, it's that the teacher is obviously in the middle of a very messy and very public breakdown and this is his way of quitting his job.

The funniest part, however, is the parents who are enrolling their son in summer school so that the D he got in this ridiculous test doesn't destroy his dreams of college baseball.

California seems a very earnest, and at the same time hopelessly clueless place.

by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2024 8:47 AM

Duk Dong Truong "Alex" Nguyen is a DEI hire.

Pay no attention to him.

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2024 9:03 AM

I guess it's Vietnamese humor?

by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2024 10:36 AM

So is this the same student who has a 504 educational plan for special accommodations for learning, yet is pulled from class with excused absences so he can go to his various sports events? I think Alex snapped at the incongruity of it all.

by Anonymousreply 22July 11, 2024 10:48 AM

Rosie O'Donnell has issued a statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2024 11:06 AM

I laughed really hard at - we call those individuals weirdoes.

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2024 11:13 AM

[quote]The Allens’ son also had trouble communicating with Nguyen about missed classes due to sports. He played on the varsity baseball and freshman basketball teams, and said Nguyen reacted with animosity and sarcastic comments when he was told about these excused absences. He believes that this conflict is one of the reasons he was named on the test — he noted that the other students targeted were ones Nguyen commonly had problems with. Another question targeted two students who got in trouble for sleeping in class, again asking students to speculate about what would happen if these students were to have children.

[quote]“(When I saw that) I was like, so it’s not like you’re joking about it. You’re being serious about it, because that’s what they really do,” the Allens’ son said. “That’s how I knew he was not playing around.”

Sounds like a serious man who just got fed up with the students' behavior and unwisely decided to air his grievances. Many teachers across the country probably wish they had the nerve to do the same thing. Obviously, he can no longer keep his job, so it was his farewell " gift."

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2024 2:21 PM

[quote]Vietnamese teacher

Sữm Đấng Wồng!

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2024 2:46 PM

This is a public mental breakdown but I'm laughing so hard at this.

by Anonymousreply 27July 11, 2024 3:04 PM

Teacher's union will support him and he'll keep his job/pension.

by Anonymousreply 28July 11, 2024 3:06 PM

R21, there is such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 29July 11, 2024 4:03 PM

The teacher sounds unhinged. If he gets fired (unlikely, if the teacher's union backs him), he'll probably end up on Fox News, complaining about cancel culture or some other bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 30July 11, 2024 4:27 PM

Asians, whether Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, or, apparently, Vietnamese, think their own particular national identity/culture is superior.

Not that Americans, Germans, Brits, Egyptians, French, Indians, Danish, Spanish, Greeks, etc., don't, but J/S.

Some cultures are less worried about offending and are indeed oblivious to it.

by Anonymousreply 31July 11, 2024 4:36 PM

R31 here.

BUT, if Teacher Alex was flipping out strictly in a non-racist teacher/student manner, I can see the reasons, as noted in others' posts: Athletes were asking for special dispensations from an academic teacher.

Translation:

Student:"I am going to be absent from classes because of my sports schedules. Therefore, YOU, Teacher, need to spend extra time with me and/or my assignments to 'catch me up.' Shall we say Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4:30 p.m.?"

Parent: "What can you do to help my son? He's in your last period class, so he'll need to miss a lot for his sports. You know, we're kind of counting on him getting an athletic scholarship to college! So any extra time you can spend or extra-credit work you can give---can he draw a picture of Lincoln or something?---we'd really appreciate it, and the Principal has okayed it, so...."

by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2024 4:55 PM

He should sell his lessons on teacherpayteachers.com.

by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2024 5:47 PM

I knew people would make excuses for and back up this oriental teacher.

There is a strange (probably small) but vocal contingent on Datalounge that backs up these people no matter what they do wrong.

If a white teacher were to do this, they would be crucified.

But if an oriental does it, somehow it's okay with some of you.

Typical reverse racism.

Fire this asshole. NOW.

by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2024 6:17 PM

R34, please move along from that 1960 mentality. Please.

by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2024 6:36 PM

I know for sure that if I were either of these students, I would be pissed off and humiliated.

And if I were the parents, I would sue and demand that this worthless pile of crap that calls himself a "teacher," should be fired for harassment and unprofessionalism.

That's exactly what should happen.

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2024 6:41 PM

R31 here. Oh, that teacher should absolutely be fired!

Now, if he's a dues-paying NEA or AFT member, he is entitled to its legal representation. But that doesn't mean his fellow teachers need to be on his side.

Singling out those students by name for ridicule is a non-negotiable infraction.

by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2024 7:44 PM

R35 you should be more concerned about what this adult teacher did to these children who were his students.

If you want to "fix" something, then getting him fired would be a good start.

by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2024 7:48 PM

He can afford to lose his job. He's already been tapped to be Trump's Secretary of Education.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2024 7:49 PM

I'm sorry, this is fucking funny, and some of you are so humorless. You don't know any of these people, it has no impact on your life, find the humor in it and move on.

by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2024 7:54 PM

He used a tried and true method of discipline, used by the Viet Cong.

Verrry effective!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2024 7:57 PM

Wow! I did have to roll my eyes when I read the kid has a "learning disability" AND a 504 plan that lets him make up assignments AND he misses class regularly for baseball. I am a teacher and I've dealt with unreasonable parents like this. If your kid is so "differently abled" they have an extreme accommodation, then don't put the kid in an absence heavy sport. And a D in a freshman class isn't going to keep a kid from getting a d1 scholarship.

What the teacher did was terrible. The parents also sound terrible in their own way.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2024 8:02 PM

I've never heard of students having to regularly miss a scheduled High School class due to participation in sports. Sports are extracurricular and can and must be scheduled to not conflict with course hours. The teacher is mentally ill and professionally incompetent but the school/district shouldn't be run this way.

by Anonymousreply 43July 12, 2024 12:06 AM

R43, Well, let me educate you. My post at r32 is only a slight exaggeration of a student, parent, and last-period class I once taught.

At the Parent-Teacher night, a father asked me what I could do to help his daughter make up those lessons she had to miss for field hockey. Mind you, it was an Honors English class, no simple worksheets.

I told him that I had enough to do to solve problems of my own making, let alone those not of my making. AKA: "Tell it to the Marines."

I've posted before how this was not the career for me, haha!

by Anonymousreply 44July 12, 2024 12:46 AM

Teachers are hateful assholes.

by Anonymousreply 45July 12, 2024 1:12 AM

Wrong, r43. Kids miss class all the time for extracurricular activities. All. The. Time.

by Anonymousreply 46July 12, 2024 1:29 AM

R34's racist post complaining about racism is the most laughable post yet.

by Anonymousreply 47July 12, 2024 12:49 PM

Some part of me hopes that posts like r34 are poorly conceived satire.

by Anonymousreply 48July 12, 2024 1:41 PM

It’s comforting to know the pimp walk is a dominant characteristic

by Anonymousreply 49July 12, 2024 2:05 PM

You can just tell OP is one of them “weirdos.”

by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2024 2:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!